Print Page | Close Window

Butterfly ZJK super ZLC

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60260
Printed Date: 04/27/2024 at 2:03am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Butterfly ZJK super ZLC
Posted By: Baal
Subject: Butterfly ZJK super ZLC
Date Posted: 05/09/2013 at 7:30am
A friend at the club bought one, one of the really serious EJs I rely on to try new stuff without actually buying it myself.  Every club benefits when there a couple of guys like that!  I actually forgot to ask him where he bought it. 

Anyway, he let me hit with it for about twenty minutes.  It has Bluefire M2 on one side and Tenergy 80 on the other -- enough like my current T05-T80 combination that I can judge some things.  This means the entire setup must have cost considerably north of $360 -- the price of three of my Viscarias (assuming one could actually find one these days). Twenty minutes is not enough to say a whole lot, but I can say a little.  The first thing is that unlike the original ZJK blade (which I personally thought was not very good), this new blade immediately has an excellent feel.  It is much better than the two TB-ALCs I bought recently (and sold immediately).  It is infinitely better than the original ZJK.  It is a little faster than my Viscaria, but has a remarkably similar overall feel.  It has the same mixture of of flexibility (rare in composites) and gigantic sweet spot that the Viscaria has.  It is the only other blade I have tried that instantly gives that impression, even more so than TBS or TB-ALC.  This blade was a little lighter than I like personally, a trend I am seeing with Btfly in general (it is getting hard to find a TB-ALC that is 90 grams or greater).  I tend to like my blades a bit heavier than some people -- I prefer 89-92 gram -- so a lot of people will probably like the weight.  I have no idea what the weight range of this blade will eventually turn out to be.  The weight balance was fantastic, unlike the original ZJK, which I thought was awful.  The feel was pretty soft overall, but fast.  I'm not going to say something more or less meaningless like "this is a great looping blade".  Well, it is.  But that is true for pretty much any soft composite blade, and it is intended to be used for that, along with dozens and dozens of other blades out there.  This one has a great balance and feel, kind of like when you get behind the wheel of a BMW and you suddenly realize that the car you were driving before is garbage.  This blade doesn't make my Viscaria feel like garbage.  (It's a BMW too).  Only I can say that it really would not surprise me if ZJK actually ended up using this blade at some point (as opposed to the original one with the stupid blue dragon on it -- possibly the only ALC blade Btfly ever manufactured that seemed like a total failure, at least to me -- and which he never adopted, possibly somewhat to the embarrassment of the manufacturer).    

Having said all that, I'm not going to buy one for myself.  I'm pretty well paid in my job but that doesn't mean I'm going to spend stupidly!  But my guess is that at some point the price will come way down.

Edit.  One other thing, this one had an anatomical handle covered with grip tape, so I a can't say anything about how the flared or straight handles will feel or their size or shape.  It is interesting, though, that Btfly has decided to offer this one with three handle shapes.

Replies:
Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 05/09/2013 at 8:22am
Thanks, good review. 

Would be interesting to see reviews of how this ZLC blade feels in comparison to the existing ZLC ones.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: TopSpinNinja
Date Posted: 05/09/2013 at 9:25am
In my club we ordered 5 Super ZLC ,

Adrian Crisan will test it for 1 week and than i can share him review with this website.

Posted By: ejmaster
Date Posted: 05/09/2013 at 10:32am
I have a good feeling about that blade. And it seem from Baals review it is. Good balance and power with good feeling.
About the TB ALC, this is a blade to be very picky. The St one i kept is extraordinary blade with weight around 92 gr. However i also had to sell immediately some  Fl ones quite light. 
In my experience one can get a very good TB ALC (weight>90 grs.) but sometimes one can get a b*sht particullarly with light ones. Have to be lucky.

-------------
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.

Posted By: sunny
Date Posted: 05/09/2013 at 12:18pm
Do you know if Timo Boll uses Flared or Straight handle?

Date Posted: 05/09/2013 at 12:27pm
Timo Boll uses straight.  I owned a straight one once when they first came out, it was excellent, but I really prefer flared handles.  Some of my club mates have good ones, I bought two that I didn't like and then decided that in any case there was nothing wrong with my Viscarias, although one of those is definitely better than the other.  One thing is that in the US you can't just walk into a shop and pick out the best blade among several available, and Butterfly NA almost never has any of their popular blades in stock.  So you can ask them to get you one in a certain weight range -- once the blade comes in off backorder -- but it doesn't mean that's what you are going to get. I understand the need for local vendors to keep their inventories as low as possible, but this is gotten pretty extreme.  Because these things are made of wood, you always have to be a little bit lucky to find a special blade.

Date Posted: 05/09/2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Timo Boll uses straight.  I owned a straight one once when they first came out, it was excellent, but I really prefer flared handles.  Some of my club mates have good ones, I bought two that I didn't like and then decided that in any case there was nothing wrong with my Viscarias, although one of those is definitely better than the other.  One thing is that in the US you can't just walk into a shop and pick out the best blade among several available, and Butterfly NA almost never has any of their popular blades in stock.  So you can ask them to get you one in a certain weight range -- once the blade comes in off backorder -- but it doesn't mean that's what you are going to get. I understand the need for local vendors to keep their inventories as low as possible, but this is gotten pretty extreme.  Because these things are made of wood, you always have to be a little bit lucky to find a special blade.

Thanks Baal

Posted By: cherng
Date Posted: 05/11/2013 at 12:49am
Hi Baal, Zhang Jike Super ZLC is soft compared to which blade? How if it compared to timo boll zlc? Thanks.

-------------
Yoshimura Maharu Limited Edition

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Tenergy 64

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 05/11/2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by TopSpinNinja TopSpinNinja wrote:

Adrian Crisan will test it for 1 week and than i can share him review with this website.

That's awesome. Thanks!

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Date Posted: 05/11/2013 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by cherng cherng wrote:

Hi Baal, Zhang Jike Super ZLC is soft compared to which blade? How if it compared to timo boll zlc? Thanks.

Other Btfly blades in general.  But I have not played with TB zlc before.  It is about the same softness as my Viscaria.  A little softer than recent TB-ALC blades.

Posted By: E.ZegnaFan
Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 4:17pm
Here's the twin Wink

-------------

87 Stiga Clipper/Rakza 9.
78 Stiga Super Carbon/Calibra Tour M.

LF: Old Stiga Clipper,Super Carbon in NEARLY NEW condition.

Posted By: liulin04
Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 4:19pm
drooling!  Pleae tell us how the ZJK SZLC performs!

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 4:22pm
Sure Cong TongueTongue, oh, wait a minute, another ZJK ZLC is coming so I can test all 3 together Smile

-------------

Posted By: liulin04
Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 4:27pm
wonderful Steward, looking forward to the comprehensive reviews for all!  That must be a lot of dough you just spent for the three paddles.  =)

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Posted By: Pondus
Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by E.ZegnaFan E.ZegnaFan wrote:

Here's the twin Wink

Argh, you bastard... Wink

Posted By: tiehwen
Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 5:30pm

Wow, nice. Just my kinda handle.

They look so devilish….

After having looked at the duo here, I just might take a flight over to Japan & hand pick couple of each model & flip them here to earn some bucks so that my wife & kid would not move out & I don’t have to live in that dog house myself.

Very sound & wise business model/plan for me, I’d say….

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17089" rel="nofollow - I love & am inspired by Malala Yousufzai's "True & Tough" LIFE STORY

Posted By: jt99sf
Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 6:48pm

Here's the twin Wink

and it's the right handle too...Clap  what are their weights?

-------------
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

Wow, nice. Just my kinda handle.

They look so devilish….

After having looked at the duo here, I just might take a flight over to Japan & hand pick couple of each model & flip them here to earn some bucks so that my wife & kid would not move out & I don’t have to live in that dog house myself.

Very sound & wise business model/plan for me, I’d say….

Sounds great man !Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 05/13/2013 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Here's the twin Wink

and it's the right handle too...Clap  what are their weights?

Hi John, both weight at 87.7 and 87.9 grams respectively for the ALC and SZLC, a bit more than my 87.5 grams Timo Boll ZLC. My MJ is 84.5 grams, my Amultart is 85.4 grams and my Innerforce ZLC is 82.5 grams.

-------------

Posted By: pokerpete
Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 8:58am
Mini review.... coming off a 7-8 month stint from using a ishlion so keep this in mind. 

super zlc 87 grams fl. with 05 fxfh and bluefire bh. 

the first thing i noticed was the trajectory seemed to be slightly lower when i just started to warm up
but i think this may have just been that it was quite a bit faster then my ishlion. because when i started to loop it had quite a high long arch. plenty of loops went off the end of the table at first.

The blade indeed has a wonderful feeling, but i would say a bit softer then a expected!! and for sure softer then my ishlion.
One thing that really stands out was for how fast the blade is it had phenomenal touch and feeling inside the table, on serve receive especially. And very nice over-the-table looping capability. seems to really pick up and grab the ball nicely.

when looping i find myself having to be a bit more careful tho as this blade has quite a few more gears then my ishlion...could even say a different type of power, the ishlion being a very linear line of power increase on a graph like a straight line on  45* angle, while with Szlc line would curve upwards to its peak power quite a bit faster.
   funny thing about it tho..... it almost reminded me of my darker speed 90 when looping from mid or back, it had great control like a laser dropping bombs all over the table, but it gave my opponents no trouble it seemed!!?? quite confusing because i really felt the balls had more speed and spin. almost like the trajectory was to perfect, therefore predictable!!? maybe i just need more time with the blade tho?  

thats all i can think of for now

enjoy

-------------

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 9:28am
By the way, where are you guys buying these blades?

Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 1:01pm
CCTTA  club pro shop...A.K.A.  PPCircle    it may be one of his dealer samples from butterfly? he did mention that it was from the first lot of production of this blade. next shipment/order is few weeks away yet.

-------------

Posted By: jt99sf
Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 1:47pm

Hi John, both weight at 87.7 and 87.9 grams respectively for the ALC and SZLC, a bit more than my 87.5 grams Timo Boll ZLC, a bit les than my 88.2 grams Innerforce ZLC. My MJ is 84.5 grams and Amultart is 85.4 grams

Nice weights since I only use pips on the BH.  

Let me know when you get bored with your MJ and Amultart. Big smile

-------------
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 4:22pm
tommorow i will play with Adrian Crisan,and we will talk a bit

he play with SZLC around 5 sessions so probably he has somethink to tell about the blade

Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 5:52pm

By the way, where are you guys buying these blades?

Baal, I bought those from tt-japan.net but if you have a friend living in Japan, you can buy it from another mail order site for cheap, ex : ZJK SZLC for $270-ish @www.takugekiya.com. Cheers Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Hi John, both weight at 87.7 and 87.9 grams respectively for the ALC and SZLC, a bit more than my 87.5 grams Timo Boll ZLC, a bit les than my 88.2 grams Innerforce ZLC. My MJ is 84.5 grams and Amultart is 85.4 grams

Nice weights since I only use pips on the BH.  

Let me know when you get bored with your MJ and Amultart. Big smile

Sure John, I know you love a light-weight blades Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 05/14/2013 at 6:35pm

tommorow i will play with Adrian Crisan,and we will talk a bit

he play with SZLC around 5 sessions so probably he has somethink to tell about the blade

Interesting: this guy spends 5 sessions testing a new blade just before the main draw of WTTC?

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 05/15/2013 at 1:35am
Ok ,short review

based on 4 people opinion

Blade size 157x150

thicknes 5.6-5.7

Speed-Fast

rubbers used: tenergys in general

before the begining of our test all the player were convinced that this is another bty trick to sell expensive blades.

Spin- with thickness of 5.6 and tenergy this blade literraly sucks the ball to him core,than a mechanical sound apear and the ball are kicked off with super spin.No matter how far from the table you are you always have the arc to land the ball with vicious spin.

Speed- this is where most of the guys inc me were kind of disapointed. Despite the fact that this blade has SLZC we didnt find any significant difference in speed,actually we find this blade even slower than ALC and ZLC model,but this can be due to the fact we playing with heavier blades and this blade weight around 85 gr average.

Control-alltougrht its offensive blade it shines in control ,the blade assure you than you can land any ball  if you prepared yourself for the stroke.

Ok now let me tell you what Adrian think about.

It is not a secret that he play with AC blade custom made

Allthought he was preparing himself for WTTC he spend some time ,because he is thinking to switch to different blade

He said literraly that this blade is a upgade from TBS/ALC but when i told him how much butterfly will charge ,he starts to laughin.

Despite that fact,he found the blade very easy to adapt to,user friendly but he were disapointed because there is no seria A.Crisan SZLC :)

he made excelent topspin with this blade,but he can make them even with a crock :D

He found blade very good close to the table and mediium distance.Blocks and smashes were astonisnishing. Mainly because of the rubbers but when he smash hard all the gym heard the noisy metal sound who fullfill the tables nearby.

Posted By: cherng
Date Posted: 05/15/2013 at 2:03am
Hi TopSpinNinja, Is the Zhang JiKe Super ZLC blade feels like Hinoki Blade (Kong LingHui, Amutart...)? Some people describe it feels like a thin Hinoki Blade, is it true?

-------------
Yoshimura Maharu Limited Edition

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Tenergy 64

Posted By: zscpro
Date Posted: 05/15/2013 at 2:26am
Is it worth to get one?

-------------
BTY TMB ZLC
FH:Tenergy 05
BH:Tenergy 64-fx

Stiga EBENHOLZ NCT VII
FH:Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Sriver G3
http://www.facebook.com/tabletennis4u

Posted By: Imago
Date Posted: 05/15/2013 at 2:56am
Let us wish Crishan luck in Paris so that BTY could produce a Super Crishan Series of blades.

Posted By: jatienza930
Date Posted: 05/15/2013 at 10:32am

Here's the twin Wink

+1 Thumbs Up Clap Wacko Big smile

-------------
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback

Date Posted: 05/15/2013 at 11:26am
For the price of this blade, it should be sent to me with a logo saying the "Ba'al Super ZLC" with a picture of a Canaanite fertility god on the front blade face, and the same thing in early Phoenician script on the other side. 

Date Posted: 05/23/2013 at 10:44am
i will sell mine ........ does anyone want the jump on it before i put it up for sale

87g,  flared handle, perfect condition, used 3-4 hours no sweat marks at all grip-tape was used to cover handle

PM me if you have offer

-------------

Posted By: bschap
Date Posted: 11/23/2015 at 8:09pm

A friend at the club bought one, one of the really serious EJs I rely on to try new stuff without actually buying it myself.  Every club benefits when there a couple of guys like that!  I actually forgot to ask him where he bought it. 

Anyway, he let me hit with it for about twenty minutes.  It has Bluefire M2 on one side and Tenergy 80 on the other -- enough like my current T05-T80 combination that I can judge some things.  This means the entire setup must have cost considerably north of $360 -- the price of three of my Viscarias (assuming one could actually find one these days). Twenty minutes is not enough to say a whole lot, but I can say a little.  The first thing is that unlike the original ZJK blade (which I personally thought was not very good), this new blade immediately has an excellent feel.  It is much better than the two TB-ALCs I bought recently (and sold immediately).  It is infinitely better than the original ZJK.  It is a little faster than my Viscaria, but has a remarkably similar overall feel.  It has the same mixture of of flexibility (rare in composites) and gigantic sweet spot that the Viscaria has.  It is the only other blade I have tried that instantly gives that impression, even more so than TBS or TB-ALC.  This blade was a little lighter than I like personally, a trend I am seeing with Btfly in general (it is getting hard to find a TB-ALC that is 90 grams or greater).  I tend to like my blades a bit heavier than some people -- I prefer 89-92 gram -- so a lot of people will probably like the weight.  I have no idea what the weight range of this blade will eventually turn out to be.  The weight balance was fantastic, unlike the original ZJK, which I thought was awful.  The feel was pretty soft overall, but fast.  I'm not going to say something more or less meaningless like "this is a great looping blade".  Well, it is.  But that is true for pretty much any soft composite blade, and it is intended to be used for that, along with dozens and dozens of other blades out there.  This one has a great balance and feel, kind of like when you get behind the wheel of a BMW and you suddenly realize that the car you were driving before is garbage.  This blade doesn't make my Viscaria feel like garbage.  (It's a BMW too).  Only I can say that it really would not surprise me if ZJK actually ended up using this blade at some point (as opposed to the original one with the stupid blue dragon on it -- possibly the only ALC blade Btfly ever manufactured that seemed like a total failure, at least to me -- and which he never adopted, possibly somewhat to the embarrassment of the manufacturer).    

Having said all that, I'm not going to buy one for myself.  I'm pretty well paid in my job but that doesn't mean I'm going to spend stupidly!  But my guess is that at some point the price will come way down.

Edit.  One other thing, this one had an anatomical handle covered with grip tape, so I a can't say anything about how the flared or straight handles will feel or their size or shape.  It is interesting, though, that Btfly has decided to offer this one with three handle shapes.

Baal, are you sure this review is for super zlc?  I ask b/c you focus so much on ALC comparisons and the price you quote "$360" seems low.  I come up with something like "$530".  Thanks.

Date Posted: 11/23/2015 at 8:42pm
Old post.  Price is higher now.  I would also say that having hit several more of those blade since I wrote that review two years ago, I would say that the feel is usually distinctly crisper than that first one I tried the first time.  They are usually faster than a Viscaria.

Also, as yet, my prediction has not yet come to pass.  ZJK still uses a Viscaria.

Date Posted: 11/23/2015 at 9:03pm
Yeah, guy at Butterfly described it as "really stiff...most people don't like."  Another Q I have (apropos other posts of yours I've seen) is why the super zlc has three handle designs (ST FL AN) that seem to be available everywhere, while the ZJK ALC is basically only available in FL?  

Date Posted: 11/23/2015 at 9:11pm
That seems to be mainly a Btfly NA choice of what they stock.  In Europe it is easier to get non-FL blades.  Why Butterfly NA has made more choices available for the ZJK-super ZLC is a mystery to me.

I have managed to acquire two ST ZJK-ALC blades.  This is until my custom ST Viscarias arrive.

Posted By: Bran
Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 3:11am
Originally posted by bschap bschap wrote:

Yeah, guy at Butterfly described it as "really stiff...most people don't like."

I had tried it very quickly and it's not that stiff, it flexes a bit and feels very crisp. I found the feedback better than ALC, which tend to be on the numb side, and the control is great for a blade this fast. The sweetspot is truly impressive (it's not just marketing nonsense) and it's very powerful. I thought it was an excellent, OFF to OFF+ blade. But too fast and too expensive for me.

Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 7:18am
Stiff is not the same as crisp. I don't think it is overly stiff ,but the outer ply seems hard. I know several people who like it, just not me as much as some other blades. Its not bad but I prefer ALC. And price is nuts.

Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 9:15am
For me, the ZJK Super ZLC felt very stiff, low throw, great control and feeling. I think the tabletennisdaily guys tested it and found it to have better control than the Viscaria. But one has to be able to deal with the stiffness. Even the MJ Super ZLC is quite stiff (stiffer than regular MJ).

Also, as yet, my prediction has not yet come to pass.  ZJK still uses a Viscaria.

That is not an indication of how good the blade is. My assumption is that most players at that level use what they have been comfortable with for years and are loathe to change.

Take a look at the US Cadets and their ZLC usage:

Jack Wang: TB-ZLC
Kanak Jha: IF-ZLC
Crystal Wang: Mizutani Jun ZLC
Victor Liu: ZJK Super ZLC

That is just because such blades are in vogue during their playing years and their game modifies to best use the properties of such blades.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 9:39am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

For me, the ZJK Super ZLC felt very stiff, low throw, great control and feeling. I think the tabletennisdaily guys tested it and found it to have better control than the Viscaria. But one has to be able to deal with the stiffness. Even the MJ Super ZLC is quite stiff (stiffer than regular MJ).

That is not an indication of how good the blade is. My assumption is that most players at that level use what they have been comfortable with for years and are loathe to change.

That is just because such blades are in vogue during their playing years and their game modifies to best use the properties of such blades.

Look, at the end of the day, these things are all a question of taste and familiarity.  And of course, my obvious bias is that I have used ALC blades for almost ten years.

I do find it ironic that there are at least four or five blades named after ZJK and that he does not use any of them (he is not alone in that), but that doesn't mean that the ZJK blades or other super ZLC blades are bad.  I didn't say that.  Just that my prediction at the time the blade came out that ended up wrong.  In fact, all of the ones I have tried are quite decent.  I guarantee, though, at the higher levels of the sport, beyond some US cadets, you will find more players using ALC blades than any zylon variant. 

I have a lot of respect for the reviews of the guys at Table Tennis Daily, but their contention that a ZJK Super ZLC has more control than a Viscaria is simply not consistent with my experience, if in fact they said that.  And chances are great that at this point, I have spent more time with both of those blades and have sampled a larger number of each of them than those guys did before they made that review.  There is also the question of "control of WHAT?".   There are so many different shots in table tennis, and people want to try to break complex properties down to a single term?  Control of topspin drives?  Short game?  Serves? Slow spin?   Conversations about control in blades are notorious for people talking past each other because they don't mean the same thing by the word.

One thing I do notice, is that since I wrote that review more than two years ago, there seem to be a lot of used ZJK-super ZLC blades for sale here.  People bought them at premium top dollar price and then decided maybe it was not quite as super as they hoped.  In fact, there almost never a time at the For Sale section here that you can't find one being offered.  I have to say, that has always surprised me because when people shell out that kind of money for a blade, normally, the psychology is that they would want to give it an especially long chance before abandoning it.

The thing that still amazes me is the price of this thing.  Incredible.

Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 9:41am
Also, if there was no such thing as an ALC blade, I would probably be quite happy with a ZLC of some sort, certainly more so than other carbon.

Posted By: Bran
Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 9:49am
Like any very fast blade, for all its qualities, it's demanding and so not everyone can play with it. It's much faster than the average player can control.

I'm actually surprised so many people are in a position to sell it, i.e. that they bought it in the first place.

Posted By: asifgunz
Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 10:32am
The heart of an ej is mysterious.

-------------

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Date Posted: 11/24/2015 at 4:38pm
<<Take a look at the US Cadets and their ZLC usage:

Victor Liu: ZJK Super ZLC>>

Very interesting Slevin.  I guess if you want to have your finger on the pulse of TT "evolution" you should monitor the young players.  

Posted By: Snakefish
Date Posted: 11/25/2015 at 2:01am

Very interesting Slevin.  I guess if you want to have your finger on the pulse of TT "evolution" you should monitor the young players.  

Are they sponsored by Butterfly ?

-------------
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max

Posted By: IanMcg
Date Posted: 11/25/2015 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Are they sponsored by Butterfly ?
Indeed they are.

Date Posted: 11/27/2015 at 5:21pm
I have another question re this blade.  It seems many many people have tried it, thought it was interesting, or that it could be good, but the absurd price remains a fatal hurdle.  SO, this is a call to elicit feedback from any technically proficient players out there who have used this blade and LOVE it...who think it's the holy grail of blades.  Anyone out there like this?  For once let's please keep criticisms of the price in check.  Defenders/lovers of ZJK Super ZLC please speak up!  Thanks.  :-)

Posted By: ttping85
Date Posted: 11/27/2015 at 6:10pm
The first time I tried the Zjk Szlc I could immediately feel that the feeling was special, great sweet spot and great feedback. The quality of the feeling was like a Viscaria old tag and much better than most recent alc blades. Playing with it is really enjoyable and it's amazing how precise it is but on the other hand because it's still quite fast, stiff and not as soft as alc it is not really forgiving and if you don't hit the Ball perfectly you make a lot of mistakes. But it has much better feeling than ZLC blades. Personally I almost wanted to adopt this one but than prefered the Mizutani Szlc when it came out. But after this I ended up with the Xiom Vega Pro which has the feeling and sweet spot of those Szlc blades, less power but more flex and clearly more control because it's more forgiving.

If anyone wants to buy some Zjk of Mizutani Szlc I am selling mine because I will not go back to them anymore.

-------------
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Date Posted: 11/28/2015 at 1:05am

Don't know what any of the Canadian juniors use except this guy:

Filip Ilijevski: Mizutani Jun ZLC

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 11/28/2015 at 1:55am

Look, at the end of the day, these things are all a question of taste and familiarity.  And of course, my obvious bias is that I have used ALC blades for almost ten years.

I do find it ironic that there are at least four or five blades named after ZJK and that he does not use any of them (he is not alone in that), but that doesn't mean that the ZJK blades or other super ZLC blades are bad.  I didn't say that.  Just that my prediction at the time the blade came out that ended up wrong.  In fact, all of the ones I have tried are quite decent.  I guarantee, though, at the higher levels of the sport, beyond some US cadets, you will find more players using ALC blades than any zylon variant. 

I have a lot of respect for the reviews of the guys at Table Tennis Daily, but their contention that a ZJK Super ZLC has more control than a Viscaria is simply not consistent with my experience, if in fact they said that.  And chances are great that at this point, I have spent more time with both of those blades and have sampled a larger number of each of them than those guys did before they made that review.  There is also the question of "control of WHAT?".   There are so many different shots in table tennis, and people want to try to break complex properties down to a single term?  Control of topspin drives?  Short game?  Serves? Slow spin?   Conversations about control in blades are notorious for people talking past each other because they don't mean the same thing by the word.

One thing I do notice, is that since I wrote that review more than two years ago, there seem to be a lot of used ZJK-super ZLC blades for sale here.  People bought them at premium top dollar price and then decided maybe it was not quite as super as they hoped.  In fact, there almost never a time at the For Sale section here that you can't find one being offered.  I have to say, that has always surprised me because when people shell out that kind of money for a blade, normally, the psychology is that they would want to give it an especially long chance before abandoning it.

The thing that still amazes me is the price of this thing.  Incredible.

The power of marketing

Date Posted: 12/19/2016 at 8:00am
Adding to the list of young users: Adriana Diaz (current US open women's champion) - ZJK Super ZLC

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 12/19/2016 at 1:33pm
There is almost always some sort of sZLC blade for sale here. Lots of people trying to recoup some investment. Good for peop.e who want to try iy.

Posted By: tiehwen
Date Posted: 12/19/2016 at 1:45pm
This ZJK SZLC is a super expensive blade. Not affordable for lotta ppl. If anyone ever comes across/knows some one trying to unload any of these "rare beauty". Grab it as soon as possible. Awhile back I saw an used one on sale for 200 USD shipped to anywhere....
ZJK is not using any of these ZJK models (incl. the Blue Dragon version). These might be discontinued in the future..who knows.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17089" rel="nofollow - I love & am inspired by Malala Yousufzai's "True & Tough" LIFE STORY

Date Posted: 12/20/2016 at 4:04pm

Adding to the list of young users: Adriana Diaz (current US open women's champion) - ZJK Super ZLC

You gotta highlight the players that like the blade not the ones that play with szlc cos they get paid for it

Date Posted: 12/20/2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

You gotta highlight the players that like the blade not the ones that play with szlc cos they get paid for it

I have talked to 2 kid and 1 adult national team members in my area who are sponsored by BTY - they are free to choose any BTY blade (ALC, ZLC or all-wood). How do you know that Adriana was forced to play with the SZLC blade only for sponsorship?

Either ways, this topic is now pretty low in my interest scale.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: bard romance
Date Posted: 12/20/2016 at 4:55pm

Lmao, Butterfly doesn't force a blade on any of their sponsored players, they can choose whatever you want. I've seen you say this before though so it's pretty clear you're just an extreme case of one of those anti-Butterfly people.

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 12/20/2016 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Lmao, Butterfly doesn't force a blade on any of their sponsored players, they can choose whatever you want. I've seen you say this before though so it's pretty clear you're just an extreme case of one of those anti-Butterfly people.

Nah, bbkon just writes a lot of stuff that is hard to make sense of. This is just another example.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 12/20/2016 at 6:29pm
Add the following info about Americas juniors according to the Butterfly website:

Nikhil Kumar: ZJK ZLC
Crystal Wang: ZJK ZLC
Yadira Silva: IF-ZLC

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 12/21/2016 at 9:54am

Not true i played with flarestorm2 pips and I had like 5 sheets and one primorac carbon, the local butterfly dealer agrees about that the most users playing with SZLC are sponsored unlike tbs and mizutani

Date Posted: 12/21/2016 at 10:04am

Not true i played with flarestorm2 pips and I had like 5 sheets and one primorac carbon, the local butterfly dealer agrees about that the most users playing with SZLC are sponsored unlike tbs and mizutani

Obviously most people using a 400 dollar blade are gonna be the ones that can get it for free. That doesn't mean that Butterfly forces their sponsored players to use SZLC (they don't) which is what you implied in your original post. 

Date Posted: 12/21/2016 at 10:14am

Obviously most people using a 400 dollar blade are gonna be the ones that can get it for free. That doesn't mean that Butterfly forces their sponsored players to use SZLC (they don't) which is what you implied in your original post. 

Well I know a junior and an engineer that bought the blade and didnt liked and the 3rd player is an amateurish doctor who is playing with the szlc cos he likes expensive gear and the junior is 2400 coming from klhs and eventually returned to his old blade

Date Posted: 12/21/2016 at 10:26am
Never mind, lost brain cells

Date Posted: 12/22/2016 at 6:02pm
I think they are nice blades. Not sure i would be much influenced by fact that kids use them.

Most people wont buy them on impulse because of price, unlike other blades. I'm still amazed at how often people sell them here. For the price you might think people would hang on to them.

Date Posted: 12/23/2016 at 2:41am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I remain convinced the high price of those 2 blades is only about justifying the increase in price of all other popular blades: the Amultart used to cost $140; same for the MJ; what is the justification of such a difference in price for those 2 blades between 2009 and now? The idea of having the MJ SZLC and a ZJK SZLC was marketing mastery

I cant imagine the materials cost much more now.

Posted By: Victor_the_cleaner
Date Posted: 12/23/2016 at 8:53am
Again, most of this could be explained with the last years rise of the yen from 120 to 100. All Japanese products rose similarly. I am into fishing and I can tell you Daiwa and Shimano rose similarly and people were bitter in fishing forums as well. I am saying 'most of it' because i myself see that the US price in particular is higher than the market price, due to the FUCCCCCKKKING North America monopoly that Butterfly sold to one party, and later reinforced by stopping shipping from overseas. But you have to separate that from currency swings.
As for the latter, since the great day for America of electing the noble Mr. Trump, the dollar has just shot up in the air, up 15-20% against everything, even gold, and the yen in particular is almost back to 120. So look forward to a drop in Bty prices. It will come, even with the monopoly, I just dont know if it will come back as much as it went up.

Date Posted: 12/23/2016 at 9:28am
VTC: I think that the main argument presented here is that the 2 SZLC blades were simply massively overpriced from the start (which I agree with).

I remember reading BTY's argument regarding their prices: that the SZLC fiber was so stiff and hard that they had to buy new and very expensive cutting machines just for them. Don't buy that.

The touch of a ZJK SZLC is so true! I had pleasure hitting with it each time I used it but when I owned one I played matches like crap; unforced errors all the way; same with MJ SZLC.

This is a very common comment regarding both of these blades. IMHO,
  • the rebound of the incoming blades (as a function of incoming ball velocity) is very even throughout the face of the blade and very predictable / learnable
  • the above function is different from that of many common blades (like the Viscaria)
  • it takes a bit of time to completely learn and put to memory that rebound function (wrt incoming velocity)
  • once that is done, though; the extra stiffness combined with the extra large sweet spot make them high control blades.

Basically, you have to give it time (at least 2 months). After I have got used to MJ-SZLC, I tried adopting Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon (a slower blade). However, I often kept shooting the ball off the table with the DOTC. That does not happen when I go back to the MJ-SZLC. I have to give DOTC up. Perhaps now, flex = lack of control for me.

To me, the only disadvantage of these blades is slightly slower FH-BH transition due to stiffness.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 12/23/2016 at 9:34am
400 bucks for an sZLC predated currency swings.  it is a marketing strategy along the lines fatt suggested.  As long as people still buy their stuff, why shouldn't they do it?  They are probably wondering now high they can get away with.

Posted By: notgooord
Date Posted: 12/23/2016 at 11:22am
I think Jiang tianyi was using it.
Now using ebenholz.
Also maybe Feng tianwri used it.
Now with viscaria.

I know a guy who uses it.
He's ok, like 2300 US.
I dont think its such a bad investment.
A blade can last for your whole life.
He bought it maybe 3 years ago?
It's 100$ a year, for something you do many days a week.

The problem is for ejs who buy many blades, use them once and throw them in the closet.

Posted By: Victor_the_cleaner
Date Posted: 12/23/2016 at 11:41am
I bought my ZJK SZLC for $274 from ttjapan. I assume ttjapan made profit.  I ended up selling it here for $250, which i thought was a good deal, to lose only 24 buck for testing expensive blade, but now I wish I kept it... : ) 
20% on 274 blade is $55. ANd it costs more than that to buy from here. 
Cutting on the overseas shipping really hurt. 
But as bitter as I am, and believe me, I really wish all the worst for Christmas for whoever owns the BTY NA monopoly, the ugly fact is that Butterfly blades are worth even this outrageous price. This is the REAL DEFINITION OF VALUE. Not what a blade is made of or how much it costs to produce. The only definition of value is how much others are willing (voluntarily) to exchange for it. There are thousands and thousands of much cheaper blades on the market with, honestly, very similar characteristics, and yet people keep buying Butterfly. Until that changes, until the  competition is perceived as similar in value to BTY, I am afraid not much can be done, but weeping in these forums

Posted By: SmackDAT
Date Posted: 12/23/2016 at 4:18pm

LOL post of the year

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Date Posted: 12/24/2016 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

LOL post of the year

Headline news "Bty fanboi shots to death user who bashed a butterfly blade"

Date Posted: 12/24/2016 at 10:51pm

LOL post of the year

You're right man some doctor didn't like szlc therefore butterfly forces their players to use szlc. You right man. Guess I was lied to by my butterfly sponsored friends over the years.

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 12/24/2016 at 11:07pm
bard romance,

I hope you read my earlier post on this issue, it is not worth it.  There are times I have made posts about something and had an extremely weird comment from bbkon out of now where addressing something else and quoting me as if I said what he was addressing.

Unless you get some value out of this, don't do it.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 12/24/2016 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

bard romance,

I hope you read my earlier post on this issue, it is not worth it.  There are times I have made posts about something and had an extremely weird comment from bbkon out of now where addressing something else and quoting me as if I said what he was addressing.

Guess it's a habitual thing then. Moving on...lol Wacko

Date Posted: 12/25/2016 at 7:55am

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

bard romance,

Guess it's a habitual thing then. Moving on...lol Wacko

Yeh right i m butthurt by your infinite wisdom bard romance

Date Posted: 12/25/2016 at 8:02am

LOL post of the year

You're right man some doctor didn't like szlc therefore butterfly forces their players to use szlc. You right man. Guess I was lied to by my butterfly sponsored friends over the years.

I never said butterfly should force you to buy the szlc and Not praising slzc blades its a sin for you..cheers for your top20 friends

Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 3:50pm
So, the partial list to see if the ZLC / SZLC blades caught on with young players on our side of the pond is amended (with amendments in red):

Girls:
Adriana Diaz: ZJK-SZLC
Crystal Wang: ZJK-SZLC (prior, she used ZJK-ZLC. Prior to that, she used MJ-ZLC)
Anqi Luo: ZJK-SZLC
Jianqi Zheng: Amultart ZLC
Rachel Sung: MJ-ZLC
Mo Zhang: ZJK-SZLC

Boys:
Nikhil Kumar: ZJK-ZLC
Victor Liu: ZJK-SZLC
Brian Afanador: IF-ZLC
Daniel Gonzalez: IF-ZLC
Alexander BU: IF-ZLC

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 5:47pm
wow. looks like blades with zylon much more popular then with arilat ...

Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 10:17am

LOL post of the year

I bought my JM SZLC from TTJapan especially they are one of the rare ones who sell straight handle but now they don't offer anything in Butterfly to other countries. Can't see Butterfly on their website. Butterfly turned them too to only sell in local market.

Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

wow. looks like blades with zylon much more popular then with arilat ...

Among a subset of North American kids.  (Mo Zhang is not a kid though).

Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 11:17am
Added back Filip.

Girls:
Crystal Wang: ZJK-SZLC (prior, she used ZJK-ZLC. Prior to that, she used MJ-ZLC)

Boys:
Filip Ilijevski: MJ-ZLC

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by sunny sunny wrote:

LOL post of the year

I bought my JM SZLC from TTJapan especially they are one of the rare ones who sell straight handle but now they don't offer anything in Butterfly to other countries. Can't see Butterfly on their website. Butterfly turned them too to only sell in local market.

I hate Butterfly as a business

Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 1:52pm
Btfly definitely does not care about making friends among their customers.  It would help if the people they chose to be their distributors in various places were....     better at their job.

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 2:28pm
Butterfly is doing everything within its power to alleviate...[cough]facilitate[/cough] your brand withdrawal symptom, as well as "looking after" fellow brands.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Butterfly is doing everything within its power to alleviate...[cough]facilitate[/cough] your brand withdrawal symptom, as well as "looking after" fellow brands.

Details?

Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 2:52pm
I for one am delighted to see many very nice ALC blades from Donic, Tibhar and Yasaka, among others.  I can personally vouch for the True Carbon.  And since it is nice, to hell with Btfly.

By the way, one thing about blade choices with cadets and juniors is that it will be interesting to see what they might be using a bit later on, when they are bigger and stronger.  Will they stick with the same thing because they are comfortable with it?  Or maybe will they go with something different?  (Of course, since we are talking about North American juniors, we may never find out because in a lot of cases these kids will stop playing at 18 to focus on their studies at elite American universities.  This is not an altogether bad thing.)

Posted By: BMonkey
Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by sunny sunny wrote:

LOL post of the year

As I understood it, Butterfly said they'd revoke distributor status if a distributor didn't comply with Butterfly's policy. I find it highly questionable.

I wish that other manufacturers would increase their presence at US tournaments with equipment booths. For example, it'd be awesome if Paddle Palace acted as a sponsor of the JOOLA tour one year and had a booth at all the JOOLA dates. I'd love to try before I buy and find equivalents to butterfly blades.

Posted By: Snakefish
Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 10:00pm

Added back Filip.

Girls:
Crystal Wang: ZJK-SZLC (prior, she used ZJK-ZLC. Prior to that, she used MJ-ZLC)

Boys:
Filip Ilijevski: MJ-ZLC

It ain't a coincidence these young padawan Butterfly-sponsored players are using ZLC or SZLC lightsabers.

Questions to ponder:
1) did these players ask to use these high-end ZLC/SZLC blades?
2) did Butterfly nudge these young players to try using these expensive blades in order to help market them in the Pan-Am region ?
3) did the parents of these young players encourage them to use the most expensive Butterfly blades ?
4) did the coaches of these young players suggest they use ZLC/SZLC blades to fast track their development ?
5) does Butterfly hope to a star player emerges out of the forest ?

Just askin,............

-------------
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 2:30am
Think about it, these are professional players, they can play with anything, as long as butterfly doesn't mind giving them free stuff, they are more than happy to take it.

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Posted By: BMonkey
Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

It ain't a coincidence these young padawan Butterfly-sponsored players are using ZLC or SZLC lightsabers.

Questions to ponder:
1) did these players ask to use these high-end ZLC/SZLC blades?
2) did Butterfly nudge these young players to try using these expensive blades in order to help market them in the Pan-Am region ?
3) did the parents of these young players encourage them to use the most expensive Butterfly blades ?
4) did the coaches of these young players suggest they use ZLC/SZLC blades to fast track their development ?
5) does Butterfly hope to a star player emerges out of the forest ?

Just askin,............
Perhaps they want/need blades to help them compensate for lack of power and between carbon and ZLC, ZLC has more feeling/dwell.

Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 10:08am
Has anyone compared ZJK Super ZLC and JM Super ZLC?

Posted By: CraneStyle
Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 10:18am

-------------
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05

Posted By: Mickael
Date Posted: 04/03/2017 at 4:51pm
What are The rubbers that suits best zjk szlc?

-------------
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH

Posted By: jfolsen
Date Posted: 04/03/2017 at 6:44pm

Tenergy 05 National Green Sponge #32 works best imho.

I prefer the #35. And isn't your post a couple of days late?

jfolsen

Posted By: t64t64t64
Date Posted: 04/04/2017 at 3:26am

Tenergy 05 National Green Sponge #32 works best imho.

Also very good rubber is T05 ali express edition :D

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵

Posted By: Mickael
Date Posted: 04/04/2017 at 4:21pm
You go play PS4 silly kids. And don't forget your milk and sleep at 7 after your mom take your shower.

-------------
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH

Posted By: m123456
Date Posted: 04/18/2017 at 1:21am
can any tell me the difference in specs and detail of performances btwn the jun mizutani superzlc and the jang jike superzlc. I heard they have same speed and play same overall. if that's so, then how come one costs 30 dollars more than the other? kinda need this because we're talking abt a lot money in here

-------------
Feng Shuei

Posted By: TurboZ
Date Posted: 04/18/2017 at 4:59am
Originally posted by m123456 m123456 wrote:

can any tell me the difference in specs and detail of performances btwn the jun mizutani superzlc and the jang jike superzlc. I heard they have same speed and play same overall. if that's so, then how come one costs 30 dollars more than the other? kinda need this because we're talking abt a lot money in here

It is limba top ply for MJ which is softer and koto for ZJK which is harder. But I would say the price difference is because one is a Grand Slam Champion and the other is not. Wink

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53150&title=feedback-turboz - My Feedback

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net