Print Page | Close Window

Best oil for boosting

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62670
Printed Date: 04/20/2024 at 11:16am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best oil for boosting
Posted By: DHSHurricane
Subject: Best oil for boosting
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 7:41am
What do you consider the best oil for boosting, and why? And do you use it for topsheet or sponge? 

I have used paraffin oil, olive oil, and sunflower oil. 

Replies:
Posted By: neutronbomb
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 8:42am
Paraffin. It seems to absorb the fastest and stretch the sponge more.

-------------
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora

Posted By: Tassie52
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 8:54am
I don't use any oil whatsoever for boosting, because it is illegal.  Thumbs Down

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 10:38am
Is it? It's just illegal when they detect it;)

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 10:56am
I don't get it; if it is illegal why do manufacturers put some in their rubbers?

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 10:58am
Because it's not detectable I think 

Jun Mizutani complained about this; about factory tuned DHS and BTY rubbers 

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:10am
really? what about the people saying ittf allows boosting only to manufacturers to help them boosting their sales? are they conspiracy theories crackheads?

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:13am
I don't know but you can be sure there is money involved;) 

Some say that it was the reason why Jun didnĀ“t play for a few months..

Posted By: BMonkey
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:37am
How about just using a booster for boosting? Falco Tempo Long worked pretty well.

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:50am
expensive? 

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 12:08pm
I am tired of using P.O. Its properties vary from rubber to rubber; it takes work and discipline to get always the same final properties; it takes time; above all at my level I am not sure at all my 1800 game benefits from it relatively to the lost points due to variations from one boosting to another.

My TG3 is not hard enough to require boosting and a flexy not too hard blade will do much better for a medium hard rubber than any variable rubber boosting.

I am done with boosting however I do not want to be a party pooper so have fun.

edit: thanks to bluebucket for opening my second eye for good on this as I was going back and forth for a few years.

-------------

Posted By: peter79
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 12:39pm
Dianchi is the best booster

-------------
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Posted By: LUCKYLOOP
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I don't get it; if it is illegal why do manufacturers put some in their rubbers?

They use the guise that it is a preservative/moisture used in the rubber to maintain for shelf/normal life ?

If that's the situation, why can't a player rejuvenate his rubber to extend/maintain its playing life ?

-------------
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 3:54pm
There's is NOTHING inherently wrong with boosting your rubbers. Especially if you are playing in non ITTF regulated events. If you are participating in an ITTF regulated event, then you are supposed to follow those rules, or risk getting disqualified. But who cares, because I don't play in official tournaments often. 
I have experimented with the Falco booster, and the effect was minimal. I suppose its a good way of extending the life of a rubber by a couple of months. I tried it on a three month old Tenergy 05. Like I said, I barely noticed a difference. Not that much faster, and not a significant improvement on spin. But the rubber felt somewhat rejuvenated. The sponge is supposed to get softer. Again, I barely noticed the difference.
Perhaps with other rubbers there will be more noticeable effects. 

Posted By: assiduous
Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 4:09pm
Goo Gone from walmart is the best booster. Parafin oil is very total crap, plus it is very volatile and effects super short. Goo Gone is long lasting and not volatile and im pretty sure it will pass a test.

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 4:11pm
all boosters make the rubber perform worse than non boosted rubber after the effect expires.

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 09/10/2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Goo Gone from walmart is the best booster. Parafin oil is very total crap, plus it is very volatile and effects super short. Goo Gone is long lasting and not volatile and im pretty sure it will pass a test.
goo gone is d-limonene based; it will not pass a voc test. d-limonene works great; I used it for a few years and even purchased a 5 gallon bucket of food grade limo (from http://www.citrusdepot.net/shop/food-grade-dlimonene/" rel="nofollow - citrus depot ) to share with friends. The very strong and enjoyable smell is an immediate giveaway. The plus is that it is safe (you can put it in your food in small quantities). Some studies show it even has anti cancer properties but wrongly dosed it may induce other pbs; one link in between many more: http://www.essentialoilseeker.com/?p=1432" rel="nofollow - http://www.essentialoilseeker.com/?p=1432

-------------

Posted By: mertus
Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:29am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

There's is NOTHING inherently wrong with boosting your rubbers. Especially if you are playing in non ITTF regulated events. If you are participating in an ITTF regulated event, then you are supposed to follow those rules, or risk getting disqualified. But who cares, because I don't play in official tournaments often. 
I have experimented with the Falco booster, and the effect was minimal. I suppose its a good way of extending the life of a rubber by a couple of months. I tried it on a three month old Tenergy 05. Like I said, I barely noticed a difference. Not that much faster, and not a significant improvement on spin. But the rubber felt somewhat rejuvenated. The sponge is supposed to get softer. Again, I barely noticed the difference.
Perhaps with other rubbers there will be more noticeable effects. 

I agree with you, Fulanodetal. Nobody really cares if you are playing on a non- ITTF sanctioned tournament or just playing for fun.Smile

Now back to the original topic...I have tried baby oil, paraffin oil, falco long boost and lastly the haifu seamoon booster. i noticed that baby oil has a minimal effect, paraffin oil does not last long (few days only) and unstable, falco long boost last more than 1 month but absolutely not 2 months (as opposed to the manufacturer's advise) and not sure about the longevity of seamoon yet. I have just started using seamoon for few weeks so it is a bit early to conclude. I actually preferred the Seamoon compared to other mentioned. I like how the sponge thicken and because of this you can really see the obvious tension of the topsheet. Tension is more pronounce compared to ESN factory tensioned rubbers. Also I reckon it is the closest to the speed glue effect during those speed glue heydays as you can really feel the sudden increase of spin, speed and sound. Hope its effect can last consistently atleast for 3 weeks.

-------------
Forehand: Haifu BWII RS
Backhand: Xiom Sigma II Pro
Blade: Butterfly Reygundo FL

Posted By: t64t64t64
Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:13am
baby oil is good for japanese/german rubbers

i saw that you use seamoon ,but can you compare the speed/spin increase of huriicane vs Omega ?

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 6:01am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

baby oil is good for japanese/german rubbers

i saw that you use seamoon ,but can you compare the speed/spin increase of huriicane vs Omega ?

Baby oil is ok for euro/ jap rubbers but i reckon either falco or haifu booster is much better. The result is much profound and you can obtain the speed glue effect faster i.e. ready to use after 24 hours.Smile

There is a massive jump of spin and speed on DHS H3 Prov specifically as sponge reacts very well to the booster. This was achieved for only 2 layers for the first time and 1 layer the next time the effect has diminished.
While in Omega IV Pro, sponge does not react that much and topsheet is a bit soft/flexible (compared to H3). I have tried boosting after 2 months from brand new. Probably you can achieve 100% of spin and speed when compared to a brand new sheet but may need more than 2 layers and much longer waiting time.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 6:39am
thank you 

-------------

Posted By: Roger Stillabower
Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 8:26am
I prefer the Falco Long booster over the Haifu Seamoon, Falco Long seems to me to have a stronger effect and effects seem to last longer.

-------------
Shifter

Posted By: weestenosis
Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 1:24pm
Anybody tried vitamin E liquid to boost the rubber??? It may be the best as it is not cancerous nor bad effect to pur health...

-------------
Butterfly Amultart cpen

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49965" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Posted By: emihet
Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 2:42pm
falco lasts longest...for german/japanese rubbers i like waikidi's tuner

-------------
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:39pm
Yes, I believe Falco long boost lasts longest probably twice of seamoon but definitely not more than 8 weeks atleast on the DHS H3 provincial #20 sponge. As you may know DHS #20 sponge provincial version is one of the best sponge that reacts really well with booster and it is very durable.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:48pm
By the way, did anyone of you guys have experienced some sort of topsheet "bubbling" or separation of topsheet from the sponge after few months of using falco or haifu booster?

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:55pm
yes, bubbled, torn easier, oxidized topsheet...all of the above...one of the issues is overtunnig the other is that it weakens the glue bond between sponge and topsheet

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:15pm
Yes agree with you, emihet. Boosters definitely weakens the glue bond between sponge and topsheet due to tension.
I reckon on my case, it seems that DHS H3 topsheet (upgrade version) can not withstand the long term tension effect by boosters and after 3 months the pimples start to break down. I will be very happy if this rubber can survive for 6 months but that's not the case unfortunately...Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:25pm
3 months is a very long time...i have had them buble in a couple of days of hard practice...some a couple of weeks...but most tuned rubbers don't last more then 4-8 weeks tops depending on the rubber

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:55pm
Wow! So these boosters really shorten the rubbers' lifespan dramatically. Sometimes I just wondered if it is only me hitting the ball too hard on my forehand swing but not really...LOL But definitely the missus will not be very happy about this unfortunate booster consequence!Evil Smile

May I know what rubbers have you tried boosting? I have tried MArk V, tenergy, Donic F2, Acuda, Xiom Omega IV Pro, DHS H3, etc. But I have only experienced this bubbling on DHS H3 because probably this is my forehand rubber which is being battered most of the time. While the other euro/jap rubbers were on my backhand and most of them have an elastic topsheet that helps to neutralize the tension.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 6:27pm
the list is great: 
the fastest bubbles came from: Tuttle beijing 2, Haifu whale 2 black sponge, Gambler outlaw, then other chinese rubbers
German: Xiom Vega Europe bubled quickly 
the others took longer to bubble or tear/damage to sponge or topseet...can't give you a list since i must have tuned over 50 different rubbers

-------------

Date Posted: 09/11/2013 at 7:41pm
That's a lot of rubber you have tuned!LOL

Have you tried boosting the latest haifu whale 2 red sponge? By the way, how many layers do you apply for the first initial boost? Mine is 2 layer on bare sponge and then one layer after 2 months for falco long boost and one layer as well after a month for seamoon.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 1:25am
i know people who destroy tenergys for around 2 weeks,using dandoy bio booster (2400-2500US)

so 3 months is a lot for someone,

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 1:48am

i know people who destroy tenergys for around 2 weeks,using dandoy bio booster (2400-2500US)

I reckon they must have over tuned their tenergy. tenergy has an elastic topsheet which can help neutralize/ease the tension caused by the booster. As oposed to lots of chinese rubber (like DHS H3)which has a tougher topsheet that keeps on resisting to the expansion of the sponge which in return creates a lot of tension to the rubber.

I reckon 1 to 2 thin layer is enough for tenergy after the factory tension is almost gone. Have done this to 2 used tenergy sheet of a friend and have not heard any problem from him yet after some months.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 3:13am

yes...tuned tenergy is only good for about 4 weeks for me but you can use longer if you don't mind some dead spots and loss of spin

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 3:14am
Originally posted by mertus mertus wrote:

Have you tried boosting the latest haifu whale 2 red sponge? By the way, how many layers do you apply for the first initial boost? Mine is 2 layer on bare sponge and then one layer after 2 months for falco long boost and one layer as well after a month for seamoon.
i tried  a lot of different layer combinations...
now i do about 2-3 initial ones and then one more after 3-4 weeks or so and this rubber gets moved to a back up blade

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 3:51am
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

Originally posted by mertus mertus wrote:

i tried  a lot of different layer combinations...
now i do about 2-3 initial ones and then one more after 3-4 weeks or so and this rubber gets moved to a back up blade

I reckon your method is ok either on chinese or euro/jap rubber.
Probably next time for the initial I will try 1 layer of falco long on the bare sponge and then apply 1 layer of glue and finally another layer on top of the glue. Also I will ready another back-up sheet whenever the other has almost lost its tension and then use these 2 rubbers one after the other sparingly. The point is that the rubbers got a sufficient time to rest (atleast a month) and shrink to their almost original form. Will see if these method will extend the life of the rubber.

-------------

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 9:02am
Back in the real glue days I loved to glue.  Loved the process, loved the feel of the rubbers.  It add spin, speed AND control at the same time.

Beginning with that terrible bananna-smelling 3day tibhar tuner, I quickly learned that other tuners added speed but no spin and they were terrible on control.

I don't use anything and haven't in years, but if I was going to, parifin oil is the best choice.  I still have some old tuner too.  Sometimes people used to pay me to tune their rubbers but I haven't been asked in years.

Yes, there is a double standard with factories being allowed to tune rubber.  Remember the rule is that players can't do anything to chance the factory play of a rubber.  This doesn't mean factories can't do it.  Also, factories (I think) tune the sponge before attaching to the topsheet.  If you tune it after, you're stretching the topsheet which is illegal.

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 10:17am
Since 'tuning' or 'boosting' means only and only stretching of the rubber, no factory really 'tunes', since they create the rubber. They have nothing to stretch. 

-------------

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 1:15pm
personally i define tuning as adding some liquid to the sponge, whether pre or post production 

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Back in the real glue days I loved to glue.  Loved the process, loved the feel of the rubbers.  It add spin, speed AND control at the same time.

Beginning with that terrible bananna-smelling 3day tibhar tuner, I quickly learned that other tuners added speed but no spin and they were terrible on control.

I don't use anything and haven't in years, but if I was going to, parifin oil is the best choice.  I still have some old tuner too.  Sometimes people used to pay me to tune their rubbers but I haven't been asked in years.

Yes, there is a double standard with factories being allowed to tune rubber.  Remember the rule is that players can't do anything to chance the factory play of a rubber.  This doesn't mean factories can't do it.  Also, factories (I think) tune the sponge before attaching to the topsheet.  If you tune it after, you're stretching the topsheet which is illegal.
very true...the new boosters only add speed...not spin and control like the old speed glue...but the waikidi stuff adds a bit of spin and control on med to soft german sponges

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 2:37pm

personally i define tuning as adding some liquid to the sponge, whether pre or post production 
yes...
take a brand new sheet of butterfly place it with the sponge on an old rubber and wait one day...you will see how the old sheet bubbles by sucking a liquid from the tenergy sponge

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 2:37pm

yes...
take a brand new sheet of butterfly place it with the sponge on an old rubber and wait one day...you will see how the old sheet bubbles by sucking a liquid from the tenergy sponge
true of bluefire and many other sponges as well

-------------

Posted By: tt4me
Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 3:08pm

Since 'tuning' or 'boosting' means only and only stretching of the rubber, no factory really 'tunes', since they create the rubber. They have nothing to stretch. 
The sponge will stretch or swell if paraffin oil is applied.  I have put paraffin oil on a sheet of T05 to stretch it out because it had shrunk over time.  Later that day I played with the T05 and it didn't seem any different from usual.    Paraffin oil dissipates rapidly.   I don't see why one would want a liquid in their sponge.  Liquids add weight and most don't compress much.  Unless the liquid quickly turns into a gas or evaporates it would be detrimental to play.

I do agree that the term boosting by the factory makes no sense.   If the rubber is pre-boosted then what happens when it shrinks or the boosting material evaporates?   The top sheet isn't going to expand.  If the sponge were expanding or contracting relative to the top sheet we would see the rubber curl or dome.  When I take a rubber out of the wrapper it is usually pretty flat.  There may be only a slight curve to it.  The real test would be to buy a rubber and take it out of the wrapper and let it sit just to see if its shape changes.  

I don't like the word tuning.  One tunes each note of a piano or stringed instrument to a precise frequency.  In control tuning means adjusting gains to control something to a set point.
"Tuning" is table tennis seems like a hit or miss affair.  Boosting is a much better term.

-------------
Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802 1.5mm, the Ball Whacker is revived!<br />Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802-40 1.8mm my back up<br />BCX5+H3+802-1 1.8mm New but promising.<br />

Posted By: LUCKYLOOP
Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 4:14pm
A rubber does not have to arc up to play faster. Oil can rejuvenate old rubber without arc-ing it up. Sometimes the rubber will soften too much from oil making it play like a pillow. The cure is to let it dry out which may take up to a week in some instances. The rubber will then play normal again.

Lack of moisture or drying out over time ages the rubber. The manufacturer adds a moisture preservative to make sure this doesn't happen too soon.  

-------------
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 4:21pm
I have bought ESN type rubber that when I remove it from the package it curls up and wont lay flat. I take that the rubber has been on the shelf and unsold for a long period of time and the oils in the sponge has dried up. No one else experience this ?

-------------
Shifter

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 4:23pm
yes...but not just esn...happens to japanese rubbers as well...neos, almana, boost...

-------------

Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 4:27pm
Put a light layer of Baby oil on the sponge and it will lay flat again, this tells me something.

-------------
Shifter

Posted By: pdotec
Date Posted: 09/12/2013 at 5:06pm

falco lasts longest...for german/japanese rubbers i like waikidi's tuner

what is waikidi tuner??
Are you referring to the old asti booster OR
something new???

Date Posted: 09/20/2013 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

Put a light layer of Baby oil on the sponge and it will lay flat again, this tells me something.
Yeah I know what you mean. Manufacturers definitely boost their rubbers and ITTF is ok with it but not the players. Yeah right...Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 09/20/2013 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

The sponge will stretch or swell if paraffin oil is applied.  I have put paraffin oil on a sheet of T05 to stretch it out because it had shrunk over time.  Later that day I played with the T05 and it didn't seem any different from usual.    Paraffin oil dissipates rapidly.   I don't see why one would want a liquid in their sponge.  Liquids add weight and most don't compress much.  Unless the liquid quickly turns into a gas or evaporates it would be detrimental to play.

I do agree that the term boosting by the factory makes no sense.   If the rubber is pre-boosted then what happens when it shrinks or the boosting material evaporates?   The top sheet isn't going to expand.  If the sponge were expanding or contracting relative to the top sheet we would see the rubber curl or dome.  When I take a rubber out of the wrapper it is usually pretty flat.  There may be only a slight curve to it.  The real test would be to buy a rubber and take it out of the wrapper and let it sit just to see if its shape changes.  

I don't like the word tuning.  One tunes each note of a piano or stringed instrument to a precise frequency.  In control tuning means adjusting gains to control something to a set point.
"Tuning" is table tennis seems like a hit or miss affair.  Boosting is a much better term.

I have been making the same arguments as above ^^. Even rubbers that tend are known to shrink, like tenergy or bluefire, really don't show the physical properties of something boosted by any commercial booster. It is immediately obvious that commercial rubber arrives in very STABLE state of physical properties. You can open it and lay it out on the table and nothing will happen to it. I don't know why but shrinking occurs once the rubber has been installed and removed.

Does anybody here believe that the factories first create the rubber, and THEN add liquid to 'boost' it? There is no way. They just create quality that cannot be reproduced by dipping your sponge into horse urine. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09/20/2013 at 4:19pm
a few more notes:

Paraffin oil is ridiculously volatile -- dont bother with it. Your rubber will play worse by the time you get to use it. 

Baby Oil is almost completely inert and nonreactive - don't bother with that either. The only change that is easy to observe after application is the extra weight.

Even if you start with a beat up rubber, no matter what 'booster' you apply, after the stretch effect expires you will be left with a WORSE rubber than the beat-up rubber you started with. Rubber that is stretched and held on to the paddle merely by the glue plays like crap. 

-------------

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 09/20/2013 at 4:31pm

When I take a rubber out of the wrapper it is usually pretty flat.  There may be only a slight curve to it.  The real test would be to buy a rubber and take it out of the wrapper and let it sit just to see if its shape changes.  

OK, I don't know the answer to this and haven't tested but:

A possibility could be that the new sheet has everything in it for boosting to take place except the water (or any other substance in the WBG (or RC)) for some reaction to occur.

I read in one post (that I can't locate) that to avoid shrinking of his Tenergies (on his blade), the poster first puts WBG on his new sheet and lets it lie for a few days. Perhaps, this shrinks his sheet before he puts it on his blade?

Regarding factory tuning: anyone who's used Bluefire and has Dandoy Bioboost at home can confirm that the stuff in the blue sponge smells exactly the same and they don't smell like anything else. There must be something to this.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 09/20/2013 at 4:42pm

Even rubbers that tend are known to shrink, like tenergy or bluefire, really don't show the physical properties of something boosted by any commercial booster.
among the rubbers that shrink after being removed from the blade, what causes the strong smell of the sponge when unwrapping them from their factory package?

Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

If the rubber is pre-boosted then what happens when it shrinks or the boosting material evaporates?   The top sheet isn't going to expand.  If the sponge were expanding or contracting relative to the top sheet we would see the rubber curl or dome.  When I take a rubber out of the wrapper it is usually pretty flat.  There may be only a slight curve to it.  The real test would be to buy a rubber and take it out of the wrapper and let it sit just to see if its shape changes.
is it possible that the sponge is boosted before being glued to the tensed topsheet? then no dome would occur when shrinking happens since both sponge and topsheet would shrink together.

It is immediately obvious that commercial rubber arrives in very STABLE state of physical properties. You can open it and lay it out on the table and nothing will happen to it.
the shrinking does not happen overnight; for example, PO boosting will let a rubber expanded for days before shrinking back to original size occurs --> I experienced this last week: after a test boosting of a 729 Origin, the rubber gained 1.5mm all around (3ml PO) and I left it out unprotected in the basement for more than a week; now it's still slightly bigger than the blade it was cut for. We can safely bet factories are more subtle in their boosting process so their rubbers will show the same shrinking much later than what we experience with basic and brutal PO boosting.
How long did you wait before arriving at the conclusion no shrinking occurs if upon its opening from its factory packaging the rubber is left airing out?

-------------

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 09/20/2013 at 4:48pm
   TUNED = TRASHY.

"Factory tuned" is some pain in the arse.
The Oily applications, as some chinese manufacturers would now use, will cause rubber sheet overweighed as much as by 10 -15g, quite unplayable to my own taste.

So, the "tuned" marking on a rubber envelope would always leasten like "trashy" to me.

Date Posted: 09/20/2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

When I take a rubber out of the wrapper it is usually pretty flat.  There may be only a slight curve to it.  The real test would be to buy a rubber and take it out of the wrapper and let it sit just to see if its shape changes.  

OK, I don't know the answer to this and haven't tested but:

A possibility could be that the new sheet has everything in it for boosting to take place except the water (or any other substance in the WBG (or RC)) for some reaction to occur.

I read in one post (that I can't locate) that to avoid shrinking of his Tenergies (on his blade), the poster first puts WBG on his new sheet and lets it lie for a few days. Perhaps, this shrinks his sheet before he puts it on his blade?

Regarding factory tuning: anyone who's used Bluefire and has Dandoy Bioboost at home can confirm that the stuff in the blue sponge smells exactly the same and they don't smell like anything else. There must be something to this.

Same here, I noticed that "phenomenon" as well. Brand new factory tensioned ESN rubbers seem to be flat out from the package until glued with water based glue to the blade. But when you peel the rubber from the blade I noticed that it has domed considerably. This doming effect is definitely the same when compared to factory boosted Chinese rubbers which are vacum packed.

-------------

Posted By: m123456
Date Posted: 05/17/2017 at 11:43pm
vegetable oil, olive oil, castor oil, almodnd oil are all pointless. they take soooooo long to sink into sponge. They also don't even ahave a strong effect or even a lasting effect on the performance. best it does it soften up, but other than that gives no speed glue. you need something that is more volatile but not too volatile. something too volatile would be naptha or paint thinner, n-heptane, or most rubber solvents, those will kill ur sponge and rubber. baby oil just gives off the doem, nothing much, use flaoc or haifu, or dian chi. other stuff is futile

-------------
Feng Shuei

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net