Print Page | Close Window

Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63068
Printed Date: 04/20/2024 at 12:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review
Posted By: High_Arc
Subject: Joola Rosskopf Emotion - Review
Date Posted: 10/05/2013 at 1:14pm
Joola Rosskopf Emotion FL 86 gr.
Tenergy 05 2.1 FH
Tenergy 64 2.1 BH

About the reviewer:
I play an offensive game on both wings. I have no rating in the US, a moderate estimate would be 2300 I think. My loops have more spin as compared to players of the same level. My short game is below average and my open game is clearly above average.

Test setup:
Joola Rossi Emotion FL 86 gr. with T05 2.1 on the FH and T64 2.1 on the BH. These are my standard rubbers (other rubbers that I have used within the last year and feel comfortable with are Tibhar Evolution MX-P on the FH and Tibhar 1Q on the BH, Bluefire M2 on both FH and BH). Total weight is 184 gr. By now, I have played six times with this setup about 1 1/2 hours each.

Appearance:
The craftsmanship is very high, no less than top notch butterfly blades, and this for half the price. The blade is roughly 6 mm thick, has a slightly shorter head as compared to a TBS (1 or 2 mm less). The composition is Hinoki-Koto-Carbon-Ayous-Carbon-Koto-Hinoki according to Joola. The top Hinoki veneer is relatively thin as compared to e.g. a Primorac Carbon, so is the carbon layer. The handle is comparable to the handle of the Butterfly ZJK ALC. It is slightly fatter than the one of a TBS and more comfortable in my opinion.

Feel:
The Emotion blade has a nice soft and solid feel to it. It is clearly softer than a TBS or Viscaria and has more dwell, in particular at low impact speed. There are very little vibrations. Given that the feel is different from the Butterfly ALC blades that I'm used to, it's hard to say whether there are more or less vibrations as compared to e.g. a Viscaria. In terms of feel, I would describe it as a mixture of Viscaria and Photino, but more woody than both of them.

Flex:
The Jolla Rossi Emotion is almost stiff, comparable to a TBS. The Emotion is perhaps a tiny bit more flexible.

Speed:
I would rate the speed of the blade OFF- or OFF. The blade is fast but not exceedingly so. It is clearly slower than the Butterfly ALC blades of TBS type (which I would rate as solid OFF), most notable in the low gears. If you swing harder, the speed difference is less notable.

Control:
The definition of the control of a blade is a bit difficult, because it has a very subjective component to it. For me, the control I have with this blade is very high, because for me it has a very good mixture of feel and speed. If it was significantly faster, my anyway not so good short game would deteriorate. If it was significantly slower, I would need to swing harder from half distance and my efficiency and solidness in the open game would go down. For me and in average, control is a bit above Butterfly ALC level.

Spin capability:
Very high. Serves and opening loops against under-spin can really be loaded. In the open game, spin capabilities are perhaps a bit below ALC level, because the ALC blades tend to bite more when you swing hard. The Joola Rossi Emotion blade plays spinnier than a Photino in all aspects.

---------------------

Looping:
Here the blade really shines. It's very controlled, has enough speed and loads of spin. When swinging really hard, I prefer the Viscaria, otherwise, the Rossi Emotion is my favorite. The arc is a bit higher than with the ALC blades at low speed, and about the same at high speed. The Rossi emotion is perhaps a tad less linear.

Blocking:
I'm not particularly good at blocking, but for me this is blade is very good at blocking. It's less crisp than the ALC blades, which may be considered as a bad thing by many, but for me so far it helps. Spin blocks are very easy for me to play with this blade.

Short game:
As I said, the short game (in particular returning serves short and flicking of short returns after my serves) is a week spot in my game. With it's lower speed in the low gears and its soft feel and high dwell, the blade is very nice in the short game. For me personally, it may be the best ever. If there was no short game, I would prefer the Viscaria, simply because there is nothing that feels like it a meter or two away from the table. Given that table tennis starts with serve and continues with return, it's really close between the two blades (Emotion and Viscaria).

Conclusions:
This blade certainly makes it to my top 3 of all times. If you think that a TBS/ Viscaria is slightly too hard and fast, give this one a try. If you like the Photino but think that it is too thick and stiff, give the Emotion a try. I think that if this blade was made by Butterfly, it would be very very popular for a good reason!

Replies:
Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 10/05/2013 at 1:50pm
thank you for a wonderful review.

jcdi says a lot of good things about that blade; I can't wait for his contribution. the blade has been on my radar for a while :)

Date Posted: 10/05/2013 at 2:40pm
Joola USA released that movie about it:

As mentioned in the review and including in the movie is the composition:

Posted By: Jolan
Date Posted: 10/05/2013 at 3:39pm

This blade was formerly known as Joola Markovic. Rade Markovic who developped it is now product manager for Joola. He then decided to rename it as Rossi Emotion, hoping to boost sales with Mr German table tennis name. I have tested and adopted this blade a year ago. We are now 20 members on the french forum to use it. I agree with most of High_arc review except I find it to be a solid Off, not Off-. The blade provides a unique feeling of stiffness and softness at the same time. Almost no vibration at all. It's good for everything, well balanced, handles are most comfy. Except ST, that I don't like much,  AN, CO and FL are really great. Weight is between 82gr to 88gr. Very consistent performance. I have 5 of them plus 1 Markovic and they all play the same. As mentioned above, it feels like a photino but a tiny bit softer and slower.

-------------
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9" rel="nofollow - https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 10/05/2013 at 7:18pm

Sounds like a great blade JC. A "softer, slower Photino.....nice.Smile

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 10/05/2013 at 11:32pm
Very informative, thanks.

Posted By: batt
Date Posted: 10/06/2013 at 6:58am
Thanks High_Arc.
I always enjoy reading your reviews.
BTW, what is your opinion on Evo MX-P?
I'm playing this at the moment both sides and love it. I just feel after one month it's different to when new. The glue effect is not as strong - must be the booster wearing off. But I still really like it even as it is now.
Did you notice any performance drop while you played MX-P?
Again, thanks a lot for the review.

Posted By: batt
Date Posted: 10/06/2013 at 7:03am
Also, I only play twice a week for around 2-3 hours each time. So my MX-P has had about 8 sessions and maybe 20 hours or so of playtime.

Date Posted: 10/06/2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by batt batt wrote:

Thanks High_Arc.
I'm playing this at the moment both sides and love it. I just feel after one month it's different to when new. The glue effect is not as strong - must be the booster wearing off. But I still really like it even as it is now.

Hi batt,
Many thanks!
The Evo MX-P is a really great rubber in my opinion. It's the first rubber that is actually used instead of Tenergy at the highest level (at significantly lower level like mine, rubbers like Bluefire and Acuda are also fairly common).
I also observed that the MX-P changes it's characteristics, it becomes a bit harder and slower as time goes by in my opinion. This seems to be a continuous process in my opinion, as compared to T05, where it feels like a step process (i.e. softer and airier when new, harder after a few days or so, then it simply remains the same), which would support the idea that it is the booster wearing off.
I personally prefer both Evo and Tenergy when they are NOT brand new (with the exception of really hard MX-Ps). I used to kill the surface of the MX-P fast enough that the difference between an old and a new sheet wasn't larger than it was with a new and an old Tenergy.
I'm still torn between MX-P and T05 on my FH. I don't really care if I spend a dollar or two more or less (CHF actually...), but the MX-P tends to be 2-3 gr heavier and my racket weight is already on the heavy side (at least when I use Viscaria).
Actually I'm considering using MX-P on the FH when my T05 has to be replaced, because the Rossi Emotion is a bit lighter, softer and slower than my Viscaria(s). It could be a perfect match with the slightly harder and faster MX-P, in particular because the MX-P isn't much faster in the low gears, if at all.

Date Posted: 10/06/2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Originally posted by batt batt wrote:

Thanks High_Arc.

Hi batt,
Many thanks!
The Evo MX-P is a really great rubber in my opinion. It's the first rubber that is actually used instead of Tenergy at the highest level (at significantly lower level like mine, rubbers like Bluefire and Acuda are also fairly common).
I also observed that the MX-P changes it's characteristics, it becomes a bit harder and slower as time goes by in my opinion. This seems to be a continuous process in my opinion, as compared to T05, where it feels like a step process (i.e. softer and airier when new, harder after a few days or so, then it simply remains the same), which would support the idea that it is the booster wearing off.
I personally prefer both Evo and Tenergy when they are NOT brand new (with the exception of really hard MX-Ps). I used to kill the surface of the MX-P fast enough that the difference between an old and a new sheet wasn't larger than it was with a new and an old Tenergy.
I'm still torn between MX-P and T05 on my FH. I don't really care if I spend a dollar or two more or less (CHF actually...), but the MX-P tends to be 2-3 gr heavier and my racket weight is already on the heavy side (at least when I use Viscaria).
Actually I'm considering using MX-P on the FH when my T05 has to be replaced, because the Rossi Emotion is a bit lighter, softer and slower than my Viscaria(s). It could be a perfect match with the slightly harder and faster MX-P, in particular because the MX-P isn't much faster in the low gears, if at all.

+1 on all of this, especially the preference for these rubbers once they are about a week old, except I have definitely decided I prefer T05 over MX-P for FH on a Viscaria. 

On another issue, it is interesting that Joola blades are often a bit smaller in the head, it seems like a way to increase speed of the blade using materials that would otherwise be a bit slower. 

Date Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

On another issue, it is interesting that Joola blades are often a bit smaller in the head, it seems like a way to increase speed of the blade using materials that would otherwise be a bit slower. 

Agree, could be to increase the speed of the blade. I don't know how much difference 1 or 2 mm less length in head size make though.

Could also be a historical thing. Joola decided to make blades with a certain size at some point and never really thought about it going forward...

What I like about it though:
With the new generation rubbers, which tend to be on the heavy side, it removes some of the head heaviness. Maybe it's just imagination, but I think this is among other things why I prefer the Viscaria over e.g. the Boll ALC: because of its slightly thicker handle and larger wings, the blade is a bit less head heavy. I strongly prefer heavy Tenergys or MX-Ps over lighter versions, but dislike the additional weight it put on the head.

Anyways, the Joola Rossi Emotion to me seems to be a blade that so far didn't get the attention it deserves.
I still believe: Was this blade made by Butterfly and would have a 175 USD price tag, there would be many more people using it.

Date Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:08pm

Agree, could be to increase the speed of the blade. I don't know how much difference 1 or 2 mm less length in head size make though.

Could also be a historical thing. Joola decided to make blades with a certain size at some point and never really thought about it going forward...

What I like about it though:
With the new generation rubbers, which tend to be on the heavy side, it removes some of the head heaviness. Maybe it's just imagination, but I think this is among other things why I prefer the Viscaria over e.g. the Boll ALC: because of its slightly thicker handle and larger wings, the blade is a bit less head heavy. I strongly prefer heavy Tenergys or MX-Ps over lighter versions, but dislike the additional weight it put on the head.

Anyways, the Joola Rossi Emotion to me seems to be a blade that so far didn't get the attention it deserves.
I still believe: Was this blade made by Butterfly and would have a 175 USD price tag, there would be many more people using it.

I think 1 mm can actually make a difference in speed as well as weight, based  on one time when I shaved down a blade about that much.  But you are right, I think the head shape has always been  a Joola thing that they kind of do automatically these days.  It is always good to call attention to good blades at a good price.  I am going to see if someone here has one I can hit with.

Posted By: assiduous
Date Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:27pm
nice review. 

I never got used to hinoki. Too bouncy for me. I prefer same construction but with limba instead of hinoki on top.

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:27pm

I think 1 mm can actually make a difference in speed as well as weight, based  on one time when I shaved down a blade about that much.  But you are right, I think the head shape has always been  a Joola thing that they kind of do automatically these days.  It is always good to call attention to good blades at a good price.  I am going to see if someone here has one I can hit with.

Did you try it with a Viscaria? I should try once as well...
But then I absolutely hate doing anything to my equipment that keeps it from looking brand new. This is also mainly why I change rubbers more frequently than I have to. It's fairly stupid but I can't help it...

Would be great if you could have a hit with a Rossi Emotion once. Would greatly appreciate your opinion!
I would guess that you would really like the characteristics but not so much the feel, because it doesn't really feel like an ALC blade.

For me, I served way better from the very beginning as compared to when I used the Viscaria. I'm not known as a particularly good server, but people were approaching me and telling me that my serves were really good lately, and that they had problems returning them with high quality (without knowing anything about a new blade). I never got such feedback before.

In the open game, I still prefer Butterfly ALC blades though, except for blocking. I will find out next weekend in our league matches whether I'm comfortable with the Rossi emotion in real match situations or not. Three more trainings before that, not too many in total...

Date Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:33pm
No, I did it to a Mazunov.  I once disfigured a Viscaria by trimming away some of the wings, though.  I vowed to never again disfigure such a blade in the future  Cry

One of the coaches at my club sells Joola blades, so there must be at least one around somewhere.

Date Posted: 10/07/2013 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

nice review. 

I never got used to hinoki. Too bouncy for me. I prefer same construction but with limba instead of hinoki on top.

thanks!

It's not a bouncy blade at all. The Hinoki top ply is very thin, there is a thin ply of Koto right beneath, then Carbon.
In my opinion, all that the Hinoki does is adding a softer feel and a lot of spin.

Date Posted: 10/10/2013 at 11:00pm
I AM IN THE CLUB!!! now it's a waiting game Big smile

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:06am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Just out of curiosity: why no love for the Mizutani anymore?

Back to this Emotion: I'm (hopefully) out of the EJing business but I wonder if this blade is similar to the Arirang - 2 outer wood layers including a Hinoki outer, carbon-based blade with a Ayous core.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Just out of curiosity: why no love for the Mizutani anymore?

Back to this Emotion: I'm (hopefully) out of the EJing business but I wonder if this blade is similar to the Arirang - 2 outer wood layers including a Hinoki outer, carbon-based blade with a Ayous core.

EJing is a disease - fatt is incurable.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:20am
why keeping a nice used mizutani when selling it I can buy close to 3 rossi emotion? (mmmh where?)
the mj is one of the best blades ever but it is still too fast for me; I make too many mistakes; my level went down in the last 2 years and I can't really handle it now.
I am trying to slow down again with relatively fast rubbers; hopefully regular nimbus (I expect that rubber to feel good on the fh on that blade) and nimbus soft (it might be mushy on the hinoki outer but I already have that rubber) on the emotion will satisfy me; it's a gamble.
next will be the joola rhyzm max and 2.0 on the emotion. I have been wanting to try that rubber for a while.

Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 6:02am
I also ordered one :)

Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 10:38am
by the way I ordered mine from there; it's the best price I could find ($50 a apiece is about 50% down from all other sites I visited). I hope it's not a mistake and that the order will be honored.
http://www.timtts.be/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584" rel="nofollow - http://www.timtts.be/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 10:41am

by the way I ordered mine from there; it's the best price I could find ($50 a apiece is about 50% down from all other sites I visited). I hope it's not a mistake and that the order will be honored.
http://www.timtts.be/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584" rel="nofollow - http://www.timtts.be/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

me too from there

Posted By: big
Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 12:38pm
Before using Joola emotion , I had Butterfly Jon. H-II. After using this new blade for  3 hrs/day , for 7 days , finding it difficult to control the forehand drive ( acuda S2 on FH). Should I revert back to Butterfly Jon. H-II  or may be it will take longer time to adapt to newer blade?

Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 1:09pm
Stick with it for awhile longer.

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 10/11/2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by big big wrote:

Before using Joola emotion , I had Butterfly Jon. H-II. After using this new blade for  3 hrs/day , for 7 days , finding it difficult to control the forehand drive ( acuda S2 on FH). Should I revert back to Butterfly Jon. H-II  or may be it will take longer time to adapt to newer blade?

I thought once you get used to the Jon. H-II, you are ready for anything :)  The Jon. H-II is not an easy blade to play with imo.

Posted By: tabletennis11
Date Posted: 10/12/2013 at 12:42am
This is a great blade for control and spin play, it's one of those blades which has a good balance and despite being carbon which usually adds more speed and hardness, the outer ply is a bit softer so it all evens out. I would rate it similar to OFF- with carbon it does have a bit of extra juice in it when it if you need to play further back from the table.

Great review here and I definitely agree that it's a very spin and control oriented blade as opposed to speed.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QlKrAbsMQ?utm_source=mytt-signature" rel="nofollow - Click Here to see TableTennis11 CEO Sergei Petrov's Introductory Interview - Tabletennis11.com

Posted By: big
Date Posted: 10/12/2013 at 5:30am
Thnks to all  for instilling confidence in the emotion blade ( Acuda S2-max - FH/ Coppa X2-max - Bh)that I bought this month. While using John.H-II ( Mark V) , all my backhand counter drives, loops etc were fast , accurate to counter the sidespin , underspin for which I used my wrist prominently. But now when I use the wrist , the ball goes farther away from the table and if not using the wrist , it goes into the net. 
I still have to figure out the right way ( whether to use center of bat or lower end of bat ) for my backhand.
With this new setup , my service has become very very effective ( both slow and fast one) and a loud sound also is a new feature of this setup.

Posted By: kolevtt
Date Posted: 10/12/2013 at 10:58am
I saw P.Soljia used this blade with ST handle just a hour ago in the EU championship.

Posted By: Olio
Date Posted: 10/12/2013 at 2:28pm
The price has been set at 45€ on this website for a long time now. Definitely not a misprice.

Date Posted: 10/12/2013 at 3:09pm
good to know, thanks.

http://www.timtts.be/Shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584" rel="nofollow - $50 for outside EU buyers!

Posted By: igszoctan
Date Posted: 10/13/2013 at 2:56am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I also ordered one :)

Me too. Big smile

...but wait a minute who will pay the gass bill?!

-------------
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour

Date Posted: 10/15/2013 at 10:00pm
I played with this blade. It much slower and much softer than Viscaria. I would say with this blade need fast and hard rubbers

Date Posted: 10/21/2013 at 7:15pm
For those who are interested there are 2 very nice threads on the French forum tennis-de-table.com:

http://www.tennis-de-table.com/materiel/bois/joola/Rosskopf_Emotion" rel="nofollow - http://www.tennis-de-table.com/materiel/bois/joola/Rosskopf_Emotion

http://www.tennis-de-table.com/forums/sujet-30544-1.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.tennis-de-table.com/forums/sujet-30544-1.html

For those who can't read French I recommend using the Chrome browser for an instant translation; just to verify I tried and even if the experience is far from perfect we understand everything people say about that wood.

It really seems Joola hit the nail on its head with that wood; they all say the same thing than high_arc and jcdi...

Mine are in the mail and I expect them in about 2 weeks (I received the shipment email notice this morning). timstt.be was nice answering my emails and he has re-stocked after apparently a surge in demand...I guess we owe that to high_arc and the folks on the forum across the pond. Tongue

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 12:15am
Wow, rave reviews from Jolan.

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 3:58am
I got hold of one, weighted at 79g on my scale.

It's very well finished, as expected, no rough edges. FL handle is slightly thicker than the TB series from BTY.

I've slapped on a sheet of Vega Pro on the FH and an old Boost TC on the BH.

I've only done coaching / feeding with it so far, but initial feedback is that the blade feels light (it lighter than my usual XZQ with 2 T80...).

It also feels well balanced, slower than the XZQ, softer or as soft, and yet quite rigid.
I felt I had great control and a good dwell time.

I adapted to the bounce / throw extremely quickly, as it seems quite natural, not too hight, not too low.

I did feel some "lack of power", or more accurately that the bat wasn't as fast or powerful as my XZQ, but that is exactly as expected, and it might take a few sessions to get used to the different gears. I have not had the opportunity to practice fast / spinny play as I normally do.

I'll have to use it with my usual tenergies to see if the balance changes.

I'll try and put it through its paces in a proper training session asap, unfortunately I don't train that often :/

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 4:22am

yes; I noticed his posts; his style reminded me of somebody and I lived a mysterious 'déjà vu' kind of experience :)

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 10:41am

yes; I noticed his posts; his style reminded me of somebody and I lived a mysterious 'déjà vu' kind of experience :)

I read the whole thread and his style didn't remind me of anyone, but the posts he made ultimately told me who I should have been thinking of...

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 11:33am
Jolan occasionally makes an appearance on ENglish language TT forums with nice equipment reviews.

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 11:53am

Jolan occasionally makes an appearance on ENglish language TT forums with nice equipment reviews.

Including this one? Embarrassed

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 12:22pm
omg!!! i think I just had an epiphany LOL.

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 3:05pm
I played first league matches with the Rossi Emotion blade Saturday a week ago and a tournament last weekend.

In the league matches, I lost my 3 games badly, and I think I would have won one but more likely two had I played with the Viscaria. It was a terrible day table tennis wise. One week later in the tournament, I played about same level as I would have with the Viscaria.

I still believe that the Rossi Emotion is actually better for me personally and my way of playing than the Viscaria (I have never played anywhere close as good in training and training matches with anything else). I will re-assess in a few weeks though.
The fact that I got destroyed by players that I usually beat shows once more that you shouldn't actually change equipment during the season, at least if it's not a minor change as from TBS to TB ALC, or Tenergy to Evolution. Change in feeling kills the confidence in tight situations, at least for me.

Posted By: speaquinox
Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 3:14pm
.. Back to real world :)

-------------
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 3:32pm

I played first league matches with the Rossi Emotion blade Saturday a week ago and a tournament last weekend.

In the league matches, I lost my 3 games badly, and I think I would have won one but more likely two had I played with the Viscaria. It was a terrible day table tennis wise. One week later in the tournament, I played about same level as I would have with the Viscaria.

I still believe that the Rossi Emotion is actually better for me personally and my way of playing than the Viscaria (I have never played anywhere close as good in training and training matches with anything else). I will re-assess in a few weeks though.
The fact that I got destroyed by players that I usually beat shows once more that you shouldn't actually change equipment during the season, at least if it's not a minor change as from TBS to TB ALC, or Tenergy to Evolution. Change in feeling kills the confidence in tight situations, at least for me.
sorry for the losses. were they close losses? if yes, do you have close wins when you prevail against those guys? can you retrospectively pinpoint situations where the rossi emotion was clearly the culprit other than change in feel (serve returns, opening loops, counter loops, blocks...)? will you keep playing exclusively with the rossi emotion for the rest of the season?

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 4:15pm

sorry for the losses. were they close losses? if yes, do you have close wins when you prevail against those guys? can you retrospectively pinpoint situations where the rossi emotion was clearly the culprit other than change in feel (serve returns, opening loops, counter loops, blocks...)? will you keep playing exclusively with the rossi emotion for the rest of the season?

Yes, my plan is to exclusively play with the Emotion blade rest of the season. This is because already last tournament I didn't experience a large difference and in training the Rossi Emotion feels so extremely good. But then, if I loose to often my EJ syndrome will win in the end and I will look for something new.

About the league matches (3 matches):
Two of the players are about the same level as I am, one is rated quite a bit higher.

The first match (against a player of similar level), I never managed to win so far, as he seems to like my game and I hate his. Here the score was as in the usual range, perhaps a bit closer than usual. Nothing felt awkward.

The second match (against higher rated player), I lost 3-0, but every single set was close. The player is a defender, not attacking that often, rare species at my level. I'm usually very good against defenders, and I've never lost against this player before, although I'm clearly rated lower. For me, defenders are really a confidence thing. Loop, loop hard, push, loop hard, push, loop, loop, smash. I have the slow spinny loop that defenders hate because the ball drops too early and they return too high, I also have the fast attack such that they can't really be sure on what comes next.
The slow spinny loops worked great with the Emotion, but the feeling on hard loops is really different from the ALC blades (and the only thing where I actually prefer ALC blades). I missed some of my first hard loops and afterwards was so unsure that I got impatient and tried to accelerate when there wasn't really an opportunity to do so.
So here it may be up to discussion whether it was because I'm better at looping hard with the Viscaria or simply equipment change and resulting loss of confidence.

Against the other guy, it's something like a 60/40 ratio for me. It was the deciding match of the entire league match, and some people were watching (like 30 or so). But it was never the case before that I went away defeated 3-0 in sets like this time. I really can't blame the clear loss on any particular feature of the Rossi Emotion. Looking back it seems actually more that I wanted to exploit the additional possibilities that the blade offered me and played differently than I would usually have played. Returning serves short that I would have flicked otherwise (because of missing capabilities to return the serves short).

In the end it's hard to say what made the difference. It may equally well simply have been the day...

Anyways, in training, feeling confident and everything, I recently did win twice against both the player rated number 19 and the player rated number 24 in our country.
This was really possible only due to switching the blade I believe. Usually I can't beat players in top 30, be it training or real matches. The difference between 50 and 30 is simply to large (difference between 100 and 50 is actually smaller).
The Rossi Emotion is the best blade I have ever experience in serve/return. One can really load opening loops with spin. Blocks feels so smooth and precise. Simply great.

Summarizing:
Great blade, stupid losses, whatever.

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 4:31pm
OH MAN! I can feel the pain; at least you have some serious character and do not sell/throw away stuff that does not work right away, a clear problem to some people I shall not name.

Those losses are the hardest, when entering the court full of hope and all pumped up, certain to have made the right decision(s)...I will keep in mind your dedication to the blade for the rest of the season and take it as an inspiration to stick with a setup when the change makes strong sense like you implies.

I'd be glad to get updates on your next trainings and league results; this is your journal correct? Thumbs Up.

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 4:47pm

OH MAN! I can feel the pain; at least you have some serious character and do not sell/throw away stuff that does not work right away, a clear problem to some people I shall not name.

Those losses are the hardest, when entering the court full of hope and all pumped up, certain to have made the right decision(s)...I will keep in mind your dedication to the blade for the rest of the season and take it as an inspiration to stick with a setup when the change makes strong sense like you implies.

I'd be glad to get updates on your next trainings and league results; this is your journal correct? Thumbs Up.

Thanks fatt!

I will continue playing with the blade because I honestly believe that it is a bit better for me than the ALC blades. It's way better for me than the usual Hinoki/Carbon blades for sure.

I have a tendency to be hyped when I test new equipment. So I thought for some time that the Bluefire or Evolution is actually better than Tenergy for me. By now, I think it's close to makes no difference if I use any of them for some time.

With respect to the Rossi Emotion blade, the initial hype is gone, but I still believe that for me it s a better blade.

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

et alors, c'est vrai?

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 10:15pm

et alors, c'est vrai?

I am jolan on french frorum an jcdi here. jcdi are my initials and jolan is my pseudo. BTW if a mod could change my pseudo here in jolan and withdraw jcdi, I'd be most grateful.
Back to the topic, yes,  I am very found of Rossi Emotion and I consider it to be the best compromise for price , quality and performance on the market at the moment. Some products from Ross Leidy, OSP or BBC could be considered superior but they are hand made, more expensive and producted at very low quantity.
Also BTY, Nittaku and Darker have wonderful blades but soooo expensive that they can't be compared to RE. In general, Joola manages to keep prices at decent level without sacrifying the quality. Viva, Fever, Rossi Force, Zolli light, Wing fast, Sting, bomb, mc1 are also great blades. I noticed they are much expensive in conus than in europe. On the french forum, we are now more than 20 using it and it keeps growing. Some have tried it without keeping it because it didn't fit their games perfectly but none, so far, disliked it.

-------------
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9" rel="nofollow - https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9

Date Posted: 10/22/2013 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

et alors, c'est vrai?

I am jolan on french frorum an jcdi here. jcdi are my initials and jolan is my pseudo. BTW if a mod could change my pseudo here in jolan and withdraw jcdi, I'd be most grateful.
Back to the topic, yes,  I am very found of Rossi Emotion and I consider it to be the best compromise for price , quality and performance on the market at the moment. Some products from Ross Leidy, OSP or BBC could be considered superior but they are hand made, more expensive and producted at very low quantity.
Also BTY, Nittaku and Darker have wonderful blades but soooo expensive that they can't be compared to RE. In general, Joola manages to keep prices at decent level without sacrifying the quality. Viva, Fever, Rossi Force, Zolli light, Wing fast, Sting, bomb, mc1 are also great blades. I noticed they are much expensive in conus than in europe. On the french forum, we are now more than 20 using it and it keeps growing. Some have tried it without keeping it because it didn't fit their games perfectly but none, so far, disliked it.

I knew it was you after I read the thread - I was just having fun with my posts.  They say French is the language of love and one must truly love a blade to have 5 copies of it!  Your love seems to have infected other forumers across the channel and I have ordered one.  One can get jealous looking at good "woods" so I want to test this one myself.  It is probably slow for my style but maybe slow is what I need right now and the price, c'est tres magnifique!

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 12:37am

BTW if a mod could change my pseudo here in jolan and withdraw jcdi, I'd be most grateful.
the request is on its way.

Posted By: Benigma
Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 12:41am

They say French is the language of love and one must truly love a blade to have 5 copies of it! 

Hahahaha! Very true!

I am surprised that this blade is only now becoming hyped about, its been around for some time.

Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Benigma Benigma wrote:

They say French is the language of love and one must truly love a blade to have 5 copies of it! 

Hahahaha! Very true!

I am surprised that this blade is only now becoming hyped about, its been around for some time.
I interpret that as the work of equipment enthusiasts who are fed up with overpriced material; they want to honor and recognize the work of blade makers interested in delivering results first: no fashion; no heavy and expensive bazooka style marketing; no Inner ABC eye powder, no Super XYZ sedatives; no lipstick; no gimmicks...
Joola position itself as one company showing a fine balance between integrity, high quality and reasonable pricing and the public did not fail to notice.
I for one support their effort toward the promotion of the game with their US Tour; it's one more reason to buy from them in my opinion. Now, if quality and more than reasonable pricing meet by magic what can we say...VIVA LA EMOTION BABY!

Posted By: Benigma
Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 6:27am
Amen, Fatt! Amen!

Mind giving your impressions once you get your Rossi?

Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 7:49am

Hahahaha! Very true!

I interpret that as the work of equipment enthusiasts who are fed up with overpriced material; they want to honor and recognize the work of blade makers interested in delivering results first: no fashion; no heavy and expensive bazooka style marketing; no Inner ABC eye powder, no Super XYZ sedatives; no lipstick; no gimmicks...
Joola position itself as one company showing a fine balance between integrity, high quality and reasonable pricing and the public did not fail to notice.
I for one support their effort toward the promotion of the game with their US Tour; it's one more reason to buy from them in my opinion. Now, if quality and more than reasonable pricing meet by magic what can we say...VIVA LA EMOTION BABY!

Exactly my point of view !

-------------
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm

Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 10:33am

Amen, Fatt! Amen!
Mind giving your impressions once you get your Rossi?
he he wouln't it be funny if I do not like it?

Frankly I do not see what could go wrong; yesterday night I played out of my mind a guy over 2k (he broke 2100 several times); 1/2 hour warming up; 3-2; 3-0 (I was ahead 2-0, 2-1 and came back from 10-2 to 10-9 in the 4th game in the 1st match); I used a 75 gr borko blade (my daughter's), the one I rely on when I have no blade of my own, with nimbus soft and sound, both max. It was mushy on the bh but very reliable in blocks, serve returns and rallying; fh was lacking power but since he blocks much better than I can loop it meant I could deal with the blocks and keep going. It was too light and too flexy though.

Now when I play the mizutani and any fast rubber I start missing because my game went down a bit in the last 2 years (I feel like I am coming back close to the best game I played in the past though, with more knowledge and a wider awareness on the court) and I do not have enough practice (once a week at the club and some on the robot) and that's why I sold it; also reading about the emotion and its price on timtts I decided I did not want to immobilize that much money in a piece of wood; same for the V+.

I expect something in the middle with the Emotion: 1)more control and a bit softer than the mj; 2) more power, more speed and less flex than the borko; I have experience now extracting good info from reviews and I feel confident this is what I need.

I gave up the zetro quad because the too thick hinoki outer; I had about the same feel about the andro supreme zylon even though I place it above the ZQ in terms of efficiency for my game. I do not dislike hinoki outer but too much will give me a dull feel that I do not enjoy; the outer hinoki is so much thinner on the emotion and I expect the best of the wood without the dull too soft feel.

I have a used Rhyzm red max in the mail (thanks assiduous for the good price); I had almost bought some from ttping a while ago (I should have) and from what I read about it it will be perfect for my game on the fh with the emotion: something that does it all with a twist; all I read tells me the Rhyzm is the Mark V of the 21st century: fast enough; spinny enough; linear response; predictable; reliable. I expect a lot from that rubber. Bluefire, MX-P and Tenergy are for people way above my level, those who can always swing fast and commit 100% on all strokes and that's not me, not yet, probably never will.

So my first test will be that combo: emotion-rhyzm red max-nimbus soft black max; the nimbus sound red max will be in the fs section sooner than later (6 hours old; $20 shipped anyone?). I have 2 nimbus max regular in the mail that I will keep for the bh I think.

It is funny that I end up following jcdi/jolan's (again!) blade wise and ttping's advice rubber wise; I could have saved a few bucks in shipping and depreciation when buying and reselling stuff in the last few months Confused.

I'll pay even more attention to what those 2 say in the future: to me, ttping is quite the ej guru with the level of play that backs everything he says while jcdi knows exactly what to use for people playing at expert level, thanks to his high awareness and analysis level; the 2 make the pair!

OH! add high_arc in the middle to achieve my personal tt review dream team!

NDLR: all due respect to other forum reviewers paid cash (as gift, of course) right here! Big smile

Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 1:10pm

Exactly my point of view !

Now that we're about to say good things about Joola:

I have only played with three of there baldes:
Rossi Emotion
Viva
Rossi Fire

All of them are great blades and very reasonably priced!!!

Something like 15 years ago, when I was a member of our rather bad youth national team, shortly before I stopped playing for several years, I was using the old thinner Rossi Fire with the pink handle.

Of course I had to give the Rossi Fire a try once I started playing again (the new thicker version with the nice looking black/red handle) and I really liked it a lot. I essentially moved away from it because all the Butterfly ALC/ZLC blades got such good reviews and many players I know used them.

I put some rubbers on it recently and what it reminded me of was a slightly slower and softer all wood version of the Mizutani (and this for less than 40 USD!!!).

Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 1:57pm
I know the Kool, MC1, Rossi Force and Wing Fast; the Rossi Force is of course too fast for me even though it's fun to play. I can do well with the Wing Fast that has no vibes and excellent speed; it is a no nonsense very good loop attack blade that can hit and smash well. A usatt 1900 friend with who I go 50/50 always comes back to it no matter what he tries (Photino, MJ, IF ZLC, TB ALL, Dotec Persson and many more).

I owned the Kool and MC1 and those are just beyond me! I can live with the Rossi Force with its classic build and speed but those 2 are just insane; to me their design itself seems like a genetic experiment that turned wrong LOL.

Posted By: ttping85
Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 6:21pm
After the french forum the "Emotion wave" on mytt? 

-------------
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Posted By: NoFootwork
Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 8:53pm
Has anyone played with both Emotion and Fever?  Can you please compare them.

Date Posted: 10/23/2013 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

After the french forum the "Emotion wave" on mytt? 
an emotionally vague thread, until we precise the feel?

Date Posted: 10/26/2013 at 11:25pm
Got my wood today.  I asked for the lightest they had and they have surprised me with one that weighs.. 74g!  That's a bit scary but I glued on my current rubbers and I can't use it yet because I have a tournament tomorrow.   The setup weighed about 169 g or so, which is still within my tolerance range in my signature.  My active setup, for comparision with the same rubbers, weights 181g.

PS: By the way, for the lovers of the Chinese vs. European rubbers debate, I haven't used Chinese rubbers on my forehand in a year.  I put Chinese rubbers (Juic 999 Turbo) on my forehand again and my stroke has not changed.  The ball is slower and has more spin given my stroke, but that is that.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/27/2013 at 1:47am
Light and quick close to the table setup! nice.
I myself received a Rhyzm red max and a moon black 39deg, both gently used; still waiting for my emotions; I should get them by the end of this week.

Date Posted: 10/28/2013 at 5:38pm
I received 2 out of the 4 blades I ordered, hoping to pick a perfect matching pair and resell the other 2.

Those 2 are both 78 grams and the skull test gives the exact same sound; they are a little lighter than what I expected (85g as advertised) but I am not good enough to be so picky about weight; also I like to wrap the handle and that adds 4 grams...

Can't wait the other 2 before choosing my pair (the 2 I do not keep are already traded). I received an almost instant answer from Tim saying the other 2 are in a different package. I believe the stamp he uses allows a max weight of 2 blades and I bet it is less expensive to ship 2 packages of 2 blades each than one parcel of 4.

Date Posted: 10/28/2013 at 11:49pm
Will have more comments on this blade tomorrow.  All I can say is whatever the results in our league tomorrow, playing with this blade feels AWESOME, to put it mildly.

By the way, if anyone believes that blades don't affect throw/trajectory, this is a high throw blade.  Anything that can make a low throw rubber high throw deserves that description.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 12:15am
How come these new blades are much lighter than mine ? Few monthes ago, lightest available were 82-83 gr. Now it turns to be 74-78gr. Cannot be same construction. Hope it plays as good thow.

-------------
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 12:26am
I'll shoot it all and add macro pictures of the edges tomorrow; in the same style as http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63414" rel="nofollow - those I made this morning.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Jolan Jolan wrote:

How come these new blades are much lighter than mine ? Few monthes ago, lightest available were 82-83 gr. Now it turns to be 74-78gr. Cannot be same construction. Hope it plays as good thow.

My thoughts exactly.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 8:56am
The new Stiga blades are quite light too.  Must be the new gluing process that they make to keepthe weight down for the new generation of rubbers.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:54am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

The new Stiga blades are quite light too.  Must be the new gluing process that they make to keepthe weight down for the new generation of rubbers.
I think they need to be careful not to make the blades too head heavy.  I don't like heavy blades, but I hate the current generation of heavy rubbers even more for making blades head heavy.  So if you have a light blade with heavy rubbers, you are potentially entering the worst of all worlds.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 9:54am

Jolan might be right about an eventual new construction; in the image above taken from Joola's YT video I see 5+2 = 7 plies; on the pictures below, taken this morning, I see 3 wood + 2 carbon...

Posted By: Matt Pimple
Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:06am

Jolan might be right about an eventual new construction; in the image above taken from Joola's YT video I see 5+2 = 7 plies; on the pictures below, taken this morning, I see 3 wood + 2 carbon...
Does that man they got rid of the Hinoki outer ply?! Shocked

-------------
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55835&title=feed-back-for-matt-pimple" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:08am
Looks to me the 2, and 6 play is Ayous now...

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:10am

I think they need to be careful not to make the blades too head heavy.  I don't like heavy blades, but I hate the current generation of heavy rubbers even more for making blades head heavy.  So if you have a light blade with heavy rubbers, you are potentially entering the worst of all worlds.

Hold the racket close to the neck helps balance the head heavy racket.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:19am

you are implying there are #1 and #7 plies; those seem like thin air to me.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:28am

you are implying there are #1 and #7 plies; those seem like thin air to me.

Yes, I can see them.  Not that thin.  But it's kind of blend-in with the color\texture of the next ply wood.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:38am
I would have thought it is easier to watch the difference between 2 consecutive plies glued with their grain orientaion 90 deg apart (forgot the exact terminology).

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 10:55am

I would have thought it is easier to watch the difference between 2 consecutive plies glued with their grain orientaion 90 deg apart (forgot the exact terminology).
If you don't like the way the (possibly) new construction plays, you have a buyer ;).

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:07am
I see 5 plies (edit: of wood) altogether, particularly on the handle shot where plies 1 and 2 (from bottom to top) before the carbon are distinct.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:07am
This is a picture taken from one of my 86gr sample :

I can't really see a difference. On yours, there are 5w + 2c too. Maybe the new batches are made with a lighter ayous core.

-------------
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 11:12am

Crossed?

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 1:12pm

Hold the racket close to the neck helps balance the head heavy racket.
I like to use my wrists.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by HighArc HighArc wrote:

Playing with it, I could see exactly what he meant.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: puppy412
Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:20pm
I didn't like ths blade much.
slow and very soft feel.
not much power, light weight.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 2:37pm
First the good things, then the bad things:

Good things:
I played a tournament last weekend and played really well (with the Rossi Emotion blade that is).

I had three matches.

First one against a player rated significantly lower than me. I hardly made any mistakes, was in total control of the game and destroyed him utterly. I almost felt sorry for him.

Second one against our current number 2 U18 player. I should usually loose this match, not badly, but still I should loose (our number 1 U18 can compete with the best U18 players in Europe (maybe not the very best), our number 2 is significantly less good).
Anyways, I won the match closely 4:3 with 11:9 in the seventh set. I already had 2 match points in the sixth set. I have the impression that I actually won this match because of the blade change:
I was far better at returning serves short and tight, and I was far better at returning the occasional fast serve into my backhand with decent quality (I can't remember a single error but many direct points. Both of these things (keeping returns that are intended to be short short and returning fast serves with whatever spin into my backhand are usually week points in my game). I believe that this is due to the softer touch and the slightly smaller speed of the Emotion as compared to the Viscaria). As I consequence, I could force my game on the opponent. The two things that are till slightly worse with the Emotion are keeping spinny opening loops low (as of now mine are loaded with spin but are sometimes too high such that they can be counter-looped easily) and the counter-looping game far of the table. For counter-looping and hard loops in general, there is nothing that can match the ALC blades for me, in particular the Viscaria, but then counter-looping and hard loops are only such a small fraction of the strokes that you have to play in table tennis, far overrated...

Third match was against one of our former national team player. I'm not sure who in this forum actually met him once in a US tournament (I think it was Baal), but someone mentioned his name some time ago. I lost 4:1. Every game was tight but it was clear at every point during the match the my changes of winning were very slim at best.
However, again I played really well and realized that it was easier for me to serve and return in such a way that I could actually play my game instead of being forced to play the opponents game (which usually happens to me against someone like him).

I think that I could play really well because I essentially didn't have anything to loose (except in the first match, but this was not up to discussion). Therefore I felt free and comfortable and didn't think about the different feel of the blade as compared to the Butterfly ALC blades that I'm used to. I still thing that the Emotion and its feels is better for me, but changing from ALC to Emotion is fairly more significant than changing rubbers on the same blade and can be confusing when I focus on it.

Bad things:
In the very first match, I graced the table ever so slightly with my hand when trying to loop a very short half-long serve. This usually never happens to me. It was at this moment when I let the racket slip off and it directly flew into an edge at the nearby wall. Not fully broken, but broken enough to call it broken and switch to the 2nd blade (Rossi Emotion 86gr. with Evo MX-P on FH and Evo EL-P on BH (instead of T05 and T64). The Evo's felt actually even better than the Tenergy's on the Emotion blade.
Anyways, this doesn't really matter because at the end of the day someone stole my racket case (with both blades in it, the 2 Tenergy's and 2 Evo's very new...). Nobody ever steals stuff in Switzerland, so I was particularly unlucky.

Now I'm a bit unsure what I should do. I have league matches the coming weekend, one training tomorrow and one on Thursday. My favorite shop is nearby and I can drive there in 30 minutes. However, they will only get another Rossi Emotion FL blade on Thursday or Friday (I bought the two that they had in stock...).
It seems like either don't train and wait for a new blade or train and use the Viscaria again...

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 3:20pm
better play than not play. play the Viscaria; with no apology to it because it does not acknowledge apologies; because it's mainly a piece of wood. too bad if after all you decide it's better; nobody knows if your passage to the emotion actually made something happen deep inside your inner game to fix a slight pb when you play the Viscaria; maybe you will find out that the way you played the emotion now makes you play better with the Viscaria; or it will confirm your decision to visit the emotion was a very good one and you will impatiently wait for it to become available at the shop. who knows? the only thing about we are all sure is better play than not play.
Now if you decide to come back asap to the emotion after another training with the Viscaria it will say something big about both blades.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 4:31pm

better play than not play. play the Viscaria; with no apology to it because it does not acknowledge apologies; because it's mainly a piece of wood. too bad if after all you decide it's better; nobody knows if your passage to the emotion actually made something happen deep inside your inner game to fix a slight pb when you play the Viscaria; maybe you will find out that the way you played the emotion now makes you play better with the Viscaria; or it will confirm your decision to visit the emotion was a very good one and you will impatiently wait for it to become available at the shop. who knows? the only thing about we are all sure is better play than not play.
Now if you decide to come back asap to the emotion after another training with the Viscaria it will say something big about both blades.

Not too sure if it's better for me to train twice with the Viscaria if I intend to play with a new Emotion blade next weekend though. I've played and trained often enough that two more trainings are not going to make any difference whatsoever.
Thinking about equipment in our league match, where I should win 2 our of 3 matches, will make a difference I fear.

With respect to your last statement:
I'm often thrilled when I play with new equipment and write positive things. But with the Rossi Emotion the impression is consistent (which is rarely the case). There are things that I clearly prefer, and things that I like less.
Overall, the Rossi Emotion is clearly and doubtlessly on of the best blades for me I've ever played with, if not the best.
For me, the fact that I even consider keep playing with the Rossi Emotion after using it for a few weeks says something big about it. The fact that I just ordered another one (will get it this Friday or Saturday) says even more.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:15pm
I had a random thought based on what you've written so far in this thread: in Europe where people play inter club matches, people play for a team; they have an individual ranking but they do not play for themselves only like in USA. I think this is helping players to choose the right equipment for them as they think further than themselves and their own game; for example I imagine if the right setup for my game is an emotion with 2.0 rhyzm x2  (for whatever reasons, it is just an example), my teammates would bash me and be angry at me if I was playing a Schlager with Calibra LT max on both sides. In other words, playing for a team is putting pressure on the players to get the right material corresponding to what they do best and that protects them from EJing.

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 5:56pm

Now I'm a bit unsure what I should do. I have league matches the coming weekend, one training tomorrow and one on Thursday. My favorite shop is nearby and I can drive there in 30 minutes. However, they will only get another Rossi Emotion FL blade on Thursday or Friday (I bought the two that they had in stock...).
It seems like either don't train and wait for a new blade or train and use the Viscaria again...

Actually, you have no guarantee that the new ones will play like the ones you had.  And if they don't actually get the new ones in time at your regular shop, you will be doubly screwed, with no training and still having to use the Viscaria.  On the other hand, you are a good player, you will probably adjust either way.  One or two days off training won't mess you up.  You will also quickly adjust to the blade you used for years.

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 12:29am
My setup with rhyzm max and nimbus soft max weighs 170g including handle wrap (4) and edge tape (2). On the robot the nimbus soft does not feel mushy in quick rallying mode and that's a relief; when I get 3 feet away it's another story but at least I am consistent. I will switch to nimbus regular in a while on that side. The Rhyzm feels really good; that's a winner for me. The balance between the blade's softness and the sponge hardness and the speed they offer seem to be ideal for my level.
Despite its lightness I do not feel lacking power with the setup and the ball goes real fast on power drives and loops.
I have said such things with other setups and actual performance at the club ended mediocre so I do not want to sing eureka too early but it's promising.

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 4:15am
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

slow and very soft feel.

I understand very much where you are coming from - maybe the heavier ones would do a bit better, but the soft feel is what makes it good for the short game and first loop - I guess it all depends on where you try to win your points.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 4:23am
Played one league tonight, the next is on Thursday.  Lost 2-3 in full choke mode to one of our club sand baggers after having quite a few match points.  Beat everyone else comfortably.  Sometimes, it's hard to remember how light a table tennis ball is.   

I don't think the blade makes me a better player but I enjoy playing with it.  That must count for something.  I feel as if I can massage the ball - ridiculous EJ speak, I know, but that is why I Want to keep it.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 5:02am
As I said earlier, when I switch TO my RE, I feel like I have no more power. But actually my opponent does not seem to find the ball much easier to deal with, and after a minute or so, the feeling is gone and while I can accelerate, the gain in control remains.

The only place where it becomes clear the RE isn't as powerful is from mid-distance. With the same movement the ball ends up in the net. That isn't to say I cannot adjust. My game is mostly powerful counter attacks when I'm pushed back but I could probably change this to more spinny returns...

The softness of the RE is clearly one of the significant characteristics of the blade. Together with a light weight and more than sufficient speed for most but the power freaks.

It's growing on me and I will give it a try as my primary blade when I change my rubbers, around Xmas.

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 5:10pm
I received my other 2 blades today; they are 84 grams each. One is faster than the other though given the skull test while the 1st 2 are the very same: 78g and same sound from skull test. not sure about the 2 I'll keep now.

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 6:37pm
I think that the power problems of this blade would recommend the heavier ones.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 7:03pm
He he I like your subtle approach. If my trading partner does not want the two 78g ones you are next level in my list.

Posted By: puppy412
Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 9:46pm

Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

slow and very soft feel.

I understand very much where you are coming from - maybe the heavier ones would do a bit better, but the soft feel is what makes it good for the short game and first loop - I guess it all depends on where you try to win your points.

yes control is awesome.
power was where it didn't convince me.
but maybe with tenergy it would do well.
I don't remember but I think I used it with chinese rubbers or mark v or sriver.

Date Posted: 10/30/2013 at 11:39pm

He he I like your subtle approach. If my trading partner does not want the two 78g ones you are next level in my list.

Already ordered a backup from timtts.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 11/02/2013 at 12:50pm
what I really like in the Emotion is that it does everything I want without trying to be a superstar at anything: it has ALL  I need without taking over and conducting me with features I can't control or dominate; in other words it serves me instead of forcing me to adapt to its characteristics. It has no vibrations while giving great feedback; excellent speed; enough softness without the mushy feel and enough hardness to hit and smash at the same time. For my level it is the best blade I can get given the friendly price. Frankly it could be a $100+ blade and I would say the same thing.
Of course there are plenty of blades that fit the description for my game and I am probably stopping to test blades because I am tired of it and the Emotion comes in my hands at the right time.
Now what will I do with the 2 Stiga Intensity Carbon that are in the mail? (trade + cash for the 2 emotion I did not keep); a quick test+comparison? yes, sure. I hope I do not start another wave of silly testing to mask a reality: more practice at the table with the same setup and less posting about material is what I really need for my game. I hope the Emotion does that for me and that the Intensity Carbon does not arrive in my hands to ruin the good resolution.

Date Posted: 11/02/2013 at 2:02pm
Which RE are you using ? 78gr or 84gr ? Have you already tried both ? If so, did you notice any differences ? 

-------------
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net