Print Page | Close Window

Rate the kid

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Pictures & Videos
Forum Name: Videos
Forum Description: Post table tennis video download information here.
Moderator: mickd
Assistant Moderators:

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66946
Printed Date: 04/28/2024 at 2:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rate the kid
Posted By: LUCKYLOOP
Subject: Rate the kid
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 12:42pm
The match went to the 5th game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plpssgX_Vpg" rel="nofollow - VIDEO

-------------
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX

Replies:
Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 12:49pm
where can I buy red shirt like this? :)

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 1:39pm
Kid has problem with serving legally, needs a coach. I played with a kid about this level that was (under)rated at about 350 (no missing digits here). This one has a spinny loop on forehand, blocks everything on BH, but overall I don't really see him near as high as 1800, sorry.

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 2:32pm
Not even close to 1800.  1500 max.

Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 3:39pm
It looks like the kid's reach is too short to topspin over the table so he has to push.  He has developed a nasty half-long push that won him several points.  It's hard to tell anything from one video, maybe he usually makes more of his blocks than he did in this match.  I guess 1950.

Posted By: kenneyy88
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 5:19pm
Anywhere from 1400-1700. He can push and block, which can be enough to beat plenty of players. 

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 5:26pm
I will believe closer to 1700 than 1400. His sequence at 2:00 is one indicator.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 5:28pm
As a rule I don't try to judge ratings of people I haven't played and kids are even harder to guess.  But this youngster's return of serve -- high and down the middle about 90% of the time against a weak serve -- would be a picnic lunch for most 1900 players.  For now he also lacks reach and touch and anything other than a block on his BH side.  My club is filled with kids like this, a lot with the exact same problems.   Substantially below 1800 --- now.  In another year or two it will be a different matter altogether if he keeps playing because there are a lot of good things too and getting taller will help with some of his issues, playing more will help with others.  Kids like this are 1200 one day, 1700 the next, depends on who they play too. 

Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 7:00pm
If the kid is under 1800 how come he took that guy to the 5th game with that guy making a lot of strong shots ?

-------------

Posted By: ashishsharmaait
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 7:54pm
1500 at max. I play with a lot of kids at our club and they have a counter counter game but have trouble initiating or defending against strong attacks.
I did not see the enough attacks being initiated against pushes. Plus there was no BH and the lack of reach and power. 1500 max.

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 8:57pm
I don't know what people are seeing but this kind is 1700 at the lowest and could be 2000, though he is likely closer to.1800. His push is likely heavier than most of us are giving it credit for and I am sure the misses by his opponent were edited out. The push, block/counter and short wide loops strategy could take down higher rated players easily. I know 1800 rated juniors with similar styles. His rating would be capped by the quality of topspin he can block/counter.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Not even close to 1800.  1500 max.
=================

I agree with this assessment.

-------------
skip3119

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 9:11pm
me too; an established 1700 will destroy the kid; a consistent 1600 will beat him.
I like the way he tries to place the ball short in a crazy angle to his right. He's got some serious placement skills and court awareness.

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

me too; an established 1700 will destroy the kid; a consistent 1600 will beat him.
I like the way he tries to place the ball short in a crazy angle to his right. He's got some serious placement skills and court awareness.

So, your saying the adult in the red shirt, who loops from both sides, was only 1600-1700 ?

-------------

Date Posted: 06/01/2014 at 11:56pm
Your  question was about the kid; I did not watch much the guy with the red shirt; he could be 2200 and holding back for that matter...
I was starting at a level the kid does not reach (1700) and closing down on him, passing through 1600 that's still too high; then 1500 sounds about right and I imagine the kid wins 50% of his matches against 1500 rated people.

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 9:32am

For your info, the Kid, is the Siberia Russia region champion for 10 U. He is 10 years old.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 10:00am
Ahh..euh...ok.
A solid 1500-1600 rating is not a low level. Plenty of people in their 1800's may have pbs with a consistent 1500-1600 player, will lose 1 or 2 games and sometimes a match.
Also there are 1550 who miss a lot and they can reach 1800 level when they do not, even win a u1800 event on a good day. Same idea for a consistent 1550 who can rally and push the 1800 players to comnit enough unforced errors to drop the match.
Anyway your kid is a bad example as those can gain a couple hundred points in a couple months of training...

-------------

Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 10:01am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

So, your saying the adult in the red shirt, who loops from both sides, was only 1600-1700 ?
yes

Posted By: dmras
Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 10:09am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

As I see only kids sizes are left in Russian internet shop.

http://www.ttshop.ru/shop/sportivnaya-odezhda/forma_sbornoyi_rossii.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ttshop.ru/shop/sportivnaya-odezhda/forma_sbornoyi_rossii.html

Posted By: geardaddy
Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 11:34am
I'd say 1500-ish at best too.  But, he will be much better in few years for sure.

As a comparison, here's Michael Tran at 10 years old (maybe 1900-ish?) and again at 13 (approaching 2200).  Notice at 10 years old how well he can attack, but also adjust and play touch shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls4ZGuXDFN0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxC1tANtu1U

Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I don't know what people are seeing but this kind is 1700 at the lowest and could be 2000, though he is likely closer to.1800. His push is likely heavier than most of us are giving it credit for and I am sure the misses by his opponent were edited out. The push, block/counter and short wide loops strategy could take down higher rated players easily. I know 1800 rated juniors with similar styles. His rating would be capped by the quality of topspin he can block/counter.

People are  seeing the kid play a defensive blocking style, conceding the first attack to his opponent, and they don't like it.  Anyway points won by attacking count two, but blocking or pushing points only count one, didn't you know? 

Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 2:57pm
fatt: can we really say consistent and 1600 in the same sentence with a straight face? 

at the same time, fatt is an established player, he also has understanding of Russian TT, so his opinions should never be discounted.

(MY opinion only) at 1500-1600 level, players are NOT consistent. Maybe on certain shots or situations they could be high percentage to make them appear to be consistent players, but at that level, they miss too much or fail to handle spin or pace or short to keep them at their level.

I can name an entire BRIGADE of Korean players who can be consistent with FH to FH drive  to drive fast pace never miss in 100 shots and do that sequence WAY better than me, (and I am 4 full levels better player than that crowd) yet these are only USATT level 1000-1200 HOPE division players HOPING or ASPIRING to qualify for div 5 city to put their name in the rolls at the least for a tourney.

I think consistency is either an illusion or isolated situational thing at 1500ish level.

Now if we define consistent as having an inclination to refrain from over-powering the ball and simply strive to get it back and keep it in play at a higher percentage, (without putting any "hot sauce" on the ball) then I would accept that.

-------------

Posted By: ChichoFicho
Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 3:00pm
Red kid - 1700. 
Blue kid -1650.

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by dmras dmras wrote:

As I see only kids sizes are left in Russian internet shop.

http://www.ttshop.ru/shop/sportivnaya-odezhda/forma_sbornoyi_rossii.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ttshop.ru/shop/sportivnaya-odezhda/forma_sbornoyi_rossii.html

I don't think they ship outside of Russia

Posted By: Pushblocker
Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I will believe closer to 1700 than 1400. His sequence at 2:00 is one indicator.

I agree.. 1700 to 1800 should be about right..

-------------
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand

Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 11:17pm

I would by no means discount playing some points like this at all. Sometimes, it is a winning strategy playing with some of those tactics.

My first tourney I did back in USA last fall (I think JacekGM made a live post of it right after it happened) I played a pretty similar style vs a very consistent (solid mid/upper 200s level) strong looper from distance. On receive, I pushed and asked opponent to open. I stayed close to table and blocked, blocked, blocked, sometimes counter or make a spinny loop, sometimes countered, but mostly blocked fast or slow with angles or at body. That worked well enough for me and I was a full level lower rated / lower skilled player than my opponent yet that playing style worked vs that good opponent at that level. I won 3-0 and that was my 14th match of the day and opponent's 4th.

That opponent lost a lot of rating points, but gained them right back (rightfully as he is a good player solid mid 2000 or better) in the next few tourneys. He wasn't over-rated and now I am prolly even lower level from lack of opportunity to train/practice or play competitively.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/02/2014 at 11:19pm
Oliver, as much as I am out of time/practice/whatever, I LUV playing vs OX LP players and I would relish to play vs Ur OX LP game for forum glory.

-------------

Posted By: Re1Mu2R3
Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 2:47am
Kid isn't bad. You should teach him to "Cho" early on. His game will improve exponentially.

-------------
How to play Table Tennis:
#1. Be Chinese (Ethnicity)
#2. Be Chinese(Citizenship)
#3. BE CHINESE(In Heart, Mind and Spirit)
#4: Get a Chinese Coach
#5. Get a Chinese Forehand Rubber (Black)

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 10:23am
If this kid is 1700, I definitely need to come play a tournament wherever you guys play

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Posted By: cmetsbeltran15
Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 10:32am

So, you're saying that, if someone can take a higher opponent to the 5th game in a non-competitive club match, that they are on the same level? Shocked

Posted By: zettalith
Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 10:59am
The kid is good...but, come on. I would put him at 1200-1500. His push definitely helps, but in this video, he misses so many blocks. Put him up againts anyone 1400+ with a decent loop(even if not too consistent), I do not see him coming out on top. Like others are saying, in a couple years I do see him dramatically improving.

-------------
IFL ZLC,Rasant g,Rasant g
YEO,TG2,T64

Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

So, you're saying that, if someone can take a higher opponent to the 5th game in a non-competitive club match, that they are on the same level ? 

The match was at their weekend tournament where entry fee is $10. The adult was not cutting the kid any slack because if he lost to the kid he would get razzed by the other adults. Also, they wanted to see how the kid would perform against adults in a tournament.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 11:09am

Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

[QUOTE=fatt] me too; an established 1700 will destroy the kid; a consistent 1600 will beat him.

So, you're saying that, if someone can take a higher opponent to the 5th game in a non-competitive club match, that they are on the same level ? 

The match was at their weekend tournament where entry fee is $10. The adult was not cutting the kid any slack because if he lost to the kid he would get razzed by the other adults. Also, they wanted to see how the kid would perform against adults in a tournament.

Hmm interesting. It's hard to judge someone's level when they are playing someone far above or below them, because naturally you won't be featuring your maximum capacity either way.

Posted By: in2spin
Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 11:45am
it would be interesting/fascinating to see this kid play the indonesian kid

:)

Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

If this kid is 1700, I definitely need to come play a tournament wherever you guys play

+1

Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 5:24pm
A lower skill level player when playing a stronger player will be forced into a more passive game which is what is happening with the kid in this match.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 6:19pm

+1

Anytime.  I'm in Philly.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Pushblocker
Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Oliver, as much as I am out of time/practice/whatever, I LUV playing vs OX LP players and I would relish to play vs Ur OX LP game for forum glory.
hopefully we get to play one day. Are you coming to the teams?

-------------
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand

Date Posted: 06/03/2014 at 7:56pm
Unless my wife sells a painting for five figures and allows me 10% of it... gunna be rough haha. Lately, all I can do is hope to visit my daughter in Boston and be lucky a tourney is going on in the area.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/04/2014 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

it would be interesting/fascinating to see this kid play the indonesian kid[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]:)[/DIV]

+1

-------------

Date Posted: 06/05/2014 at 12:09am

+1

The issue at hand here is how good/bad people are at estimating level from videos. Not about regional differences in player strength by rating. 

Hardo move to imply you could go to a different region and run the tables.

Posted By: aroonkl
Date Posted: 06/05/2014 at 2:11am
Red  2000-2100+.
For the ones who said the kid was less than 1500, I would say their eyesight need a good check up. Big smile
(Red did not play 100%. Even there was the 5th game, he had skill to pull the string anytime and win. He likely played and let the kid also had fun.) 
Why I would say the kid was not below 1500. Look closely on placement of his balls. 
-When he received 2000 level serves, he nicely placed his returns short or squeeze to opponent side pocket. A lot of receives were on early rise those would cut opponent response time and could effectively do short return. I never see any 1500 do that. 
-When he got attack with straight BH loop, he blocked straight back to BH. But when his opponent step away and use FH loop fro BH corner, he blocked to wide angle. Often well composure, not jumpy/awkward whatever hit my paddle 1500 level block.
He pushed short well and opponent has some problem with them. As opponent did a weak loop, he stepped around and counterlooped. (min 2.04) Nice form by the book with two short legs. Tongue
His attacks were no power but well angle and placement. (sample: min 3.18)
1700 is fair. If he has power, 2000+ for sure. 
Smart kid. 
(BTW. He might still loose to 1500 EVIL players Evil Smile with DIRTY long pips though. LOL )

Date Posted: 06/05/2014 at 11:40am
Anyway, he'll probably be 2000 by the time I would ever run across him.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/05/2014 at 2:01pm
Obviously, the kid is getting some quality coaching.

-------------

Posted By: SmackDAT
Date Posted: 06/05/2014 at 6:58pm
Damn if that kid is seriously 1700, I wuldnt be surprised if I took down people at 2000...

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 06/05/2014 at 11:56pm

...and why is that so obvious? 

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Posted By: aroonkl
Date Posted: 06/06/2014 at 12:59am
Any possible a 10 years old could figure how to do those himself? Tongue
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Date Posted: 06/06/2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

He finished 9th in that weekly club tournament with 17 partipants, all other players have had TT training when they were in school.

Edit Correction

17 participants not 18

-------------

Posted By: shay2be
Date Posted: 06/06/2014 at 3:00pm
I honestly think that these rating projections are skewed due to people's perception on USATT 2000.
The way some members express USATT 2000 makes it seem like 2000 is like 2500, like I've been 2000 without half of the things that some people think 2000 players have.
I see an easy 2000+ in the guy in the red due to his consistency alone, now I truly dont know how much better than 2000 he is, due to the fact that I truly cannot distinguish that well at a higher level.
Plus, it all depends on the context.
For example, if I play a 1200 player, I will probably look like I am a strong player while on the other hand, if I played a 2500 player, I would look like I am 1200.

-------------
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065

Date Posted: 06/06/2014 at 11:52pm
Great points, shay2be. Too often, we forget that 2000s parrot 2500s but really play like more consistent 1800s.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 06/07/2014 at 2:13am
we are looking at the highlights so didn't see bad service returns etc
 but it is good to see a young player who can return a bottom spin serve back tightly and on purpose
 he did start to attack more service returns as he realised he could at times
 still developing but a nice around game for a 10 year old
 once he developes some different serves himself he will gain some good ratings
he hasn't been taught to toss the ball up and should be called all the time so he should learn now
with futher coaching and match practice he should be a grow to be a good player
 but like others have said his current level and next probable levels will shoot up over the next few years

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Date Posted: 06/09/2014 at 1:47am

He finished 9th in that weekly club tournament with 17 partipants, all other players have had TT training when they were in school.

Another barometer, Anastasia Volkova finished 8th. She is 2000-2200. She is a top player on her University team and practices 5 days a week.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/10/2014 at 2:07am

Another barometer, Anastasia Volkova finished 8th. She is 2000-2200. She is a top player on her University team and practices 5 days a week.

Another barometer, the guy in the red shirt in this video, Andrey Boldyrev, finished 7th.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/10/2014 at 3:32am
If only in place of these great barometers we had more video of the kid...

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: collins.latag
Date Posted: 06/10/2014 at 4:02am
because most are just analyzing from what they saw in the video which was an edited clip in favor of the kid's opponent.

I think the kid is more consistent than he seem... just my guess.

-------------
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic

Date Posted: 06/11/2014 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

because most are just analyzing from what they saw in the video which was an edited clip in favor of the kid's opponent.

I think the kid is more consistent than he seem... just my guess.

+1

-------------

Date Posted: 06/13/2014 at 6:57am
If it was edited in favor of the opponent then the opponent needs some help even more than it appeared originally.

Posted By: ChichoFicho
Date Posted: 06/13/2014 at 7:33am
The problem with kids is that some shots are impossible for them, for example short balls. So even if they look good, you must lower your initial estimate with ~200 points to get their true rating.

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Date Posted: 06/13/2014 at 12:56pm

Recap of poll votes

8 say over 1800

17 say under 1800

I say he is definitely over 1800 !

-------------

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 06/14/2014 at 2:19am

Recap of poll votes

8 say over 1800

17 say under 1800

I find it funny that every seems to know which player is "the kid" without asking. I look at that video and I see two kids.LOL

I assume we're talking about the younger kid. We have a 10 year old in our club whose play looks the same or slightly better, but very similar overall.  His level is about 1600. Being a kid, I've seen him beat 1800 players but also lose to 1400 players.  So for this video, I'd go 1500-1600.

Date Posted: 06/14/2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Recap of poll votes

8 say over 1800

17 say under 1800

I find it funny that every seems to know which player is "the kid" without asking. I look at that video and I see two kids.LOL

I assume we're talking about the younger kid. We have a 10 year old in our club whose play looks the same or slightly better, but very similar overall.  His level is about 1600. Being a kid, I've seen him beat 1800 players but also lose to 1400 players.  So for this video, I'd go 1500-1600.

Kid, means the smaller person, who is just a little taller than the table. The other player is over 18 and considered an adult.

-------------

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 06/14/2014 at 2:59pm

Kid, means the smaller person, who is just a little taller than the table. The other player is over 18 and considered an adult.

In your world-view, maybe.  In my world-view:

No grey hair; no paunch around the waist; doesn't have wraps around his knees and elbows; probably has no idea what "reading glasses" are for

=

"kid".

Date Posted: 06/14/2014 at 5:44pm
+1

haha.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/16/2014 at 7:27pm

Kid update

He is attending a TT training camp in Central Russia in June and will return home June 29 to play in another of these tournaments.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2014 at 9:52am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Red kid - 1700. 
Blue kid -1650.

Here is recent local tournament match Sunday 6/29 for the red kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_13hmwVo9A" rel="nofollow - LINK

Do you still think he is 1700 ?

-------------

Posted By: Speedplay
Date Posted: 06/30/2014 at 11:41am
I said U 2000, based on videos Ive seen on adults with an actual rating., Americans are funny, cause when ever they are asked to rate a no rated player, they rate them very low. From what Ive seen, 1800 isnt all that good and I think this kid would beat most of them pretty easy. Could perhaps struggle against some styles, like most kids, but over all consistent enough to beat most sub 2000 players that Ive seen.

-------------
The holy grail

Posted By: JonathanVN
Date Posted: 06/30/2014 at 11:43am
Red kid - 1850 
Blue kid - 1600

-------------
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)

Date Posted: 06/30/2014 at 11:44am
However, the kid in the blue does serve illegally almost every single time. There is no way that he does 6 inch tosses…more like 2 inches. 

-------------
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)

Date Posted: 06/30/2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

However, the kid in the blue does serve illegally almost every single time. There is no way that he does 6 inch tosses…more like 2 inches. 

Can you cut him some slack because of his height ?

He is not gaining any advantage from the lack of toss !

-------------

Date Posted: 06/30/2014 at 1:11pm

Can you cut him some slack because of his height ?

He is not gaining any advantage from the lack of toss !

I wasn't being any harder on him than anybody else who plays the game. The fact is, the rule clearly says that the ball should be tossed at least 6 inches. Now granted, most people do not follow this rule, so I will cut him some slack, especially because he is short like you said. 

And he actually may be gaining an advantage from the lack of toss, it just may not affect you like it could others. The problem is, since he is young and doesn't know how to manipulate the rule and spin the ball from his hand, he may eventually learn such things. 

I just don't want him to be called out at a tournament if he starts beating someone. 

-------------
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)

Posted By: Swiff
Date Posted: 07/01/2014 at 12:54am
He may be around 1800.  Although his form is good, he lacks the experience to pass that level right now, I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2014 at 10:34am

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Red kid - 1700. 
Blue kid -1650.

Here is recent local tournament match Sunday 6/29 for the red kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_13hmwVo9A" rel="nofollow - LINK

Do you still think he is 1700 ?

Jokers be lacing their salads with those special California mushrooms if they think he is only 1700. Still, it can be easy to mis-classify someone from a peak at a vid. I have more than once stuck my foot my mouth deep doing the same thing. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2014 at 9:53am

Red kid - 1850 
Blue kid - 1600

07/13/14 video of red kid in another local tournament. The gal he is playing is the top female player on her University TT team.

Do you still think the red kid is 1850 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKGj2DCROzQ" rel="nofollow - LINK

-------------

Date Posted: 07/13/2014 at 12:38pm
Is that the new ball?  Sounds different, and some weird rallies.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/14/2014 at 4:52am

Is that the new ball?  Sounds different, and some weird rallies.

Not the new ball !

The rallies may seem weird because the Gal has LP's on her BH.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/16/2014 at 4:50pm
Update on the Kid - 10 years old

Recent 9/14/14 tournament where he finished 19th of 30, in a very strong adult field.

In this video, he plays a female, my estimate at least 2100, who finished 9th of the 30. One guy who is at least 2200-2300 finished 12th in this tournament, usually beats the female previously mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQ8OAs3ivw&list=UUpg5UOxLypgq2vHsw3N0LVg" rel="nofollow - VIDEO

-------------

Date Posted: 09/17/2014 at 4:23pm
He certainly looks a lot better in this video, to me.  Quality of opponent makes so much difference.

-------------

Posted By: hhca
Date Posted: 09/17/2014 at 5:26pm
is that his parent in the 3rd set that went to the side of table to take a pic? Very odd! If you take tt seriously, get the hell out there during a game

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by hhca hhca wrote:

is that his parent in the 3rd set that went to the side of table to take a pic? Very odd! If you take tt seriously, get the hell out there during a game

I don't think it was a parent.  He was in other videos taking pictures of other players.

Date Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:09pm
was it Rob of the outpost? :)

-------------

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 09/18/2014 at 5:51am
The young boy is improving, for a while it looked like every rally was the same, it wasn't until the girl varied her backhand placement and shot selection, I would do shorter serves to him-myself
I still believe he should start doing legal serves, ....otherwise well otherwise

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Posted By: aob
Date Posted: 09/18/2014 at 12:03pm
The kid is nowhere near 1800.  I've played with kids his age or thereabouts who are much more rounded, have legal serves, better form, better footwork.  I probably have a 40-50% record against these kids.  They're probably around 1600 max, where I'm 1400 rising.

Date Posted: 09/19/2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by aob aob wrote:

The kid is nowhere near 1800.  I've played with kids his age or thereabouts who are much more rounded, have legal serves, better form, better footwork.  I probably have a 40-50% record against these kids.  They're probably around 1600 max, where I'm 1400 rising.

Using USATT estimates here

If your using Ratings Central Rating estimate, it is on the average 156 points below the USATT ratings per their website.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 11:50am

Update: The 10 year old kid is playing in competition in Russia, for only Russian country players, the top players in his age group, I think 20 were invited.

-------------

Posted By: hookumsnivy
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:00pm

Update on the Kid - 10 years old

Recent 9/14/14 tournament where he finished 19th of 30, in a very strong adult field.

In this video, he plays a female, my estimate at least 2100, who finished 9th of the 30. One guy who is at least 2200-2300 finished 12th in this tournament, usually beats the female previously mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQ8OAs3ivw&list=UUpg5UOxLypgq2vHsw3N0LVg" rel="nofollow - VIDEO

If she's 2100-2200, he's clearly under 2000.  The way I saw it was that she was toying with him. She was running him around all over the table.  He got a few good shots in, but it was often on her mistake.  It almost seemed that if she wanted to she could just counter his loops to end the point - she did it a few times and it was very nonchalant.  She intentionally served everything long to his BH corner daring him to step around and loop.  She wasn't worried about the loop and used it to run him to the other corner. 
I could see him being 1800-1900, but that's probably the highest I would go right now.  
He also needs to learn a little about tactics - he fed right into her game.  Sometimes you need to open with your BH rather than run around and hit with your FH - especially if your opponent has shown that your opening FH loop not only doesn't present a problem, but gives them the advantage.

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:27pm
I think this may be a case of training for the future.  That is, his coaches have him doing a lot of things that are not optimal for his size and reach at this time but which will be his fundamental tactics when is a little older and physically larger and stronger.

I once overheard a coach at a tournament tell one of his juniors something to the effect " I don't care if you are missing all those loops.  You are doing great trying to move into position.  Keep it up and soon they will be landing and you will really have a higher level game."    He was not concerned at all with her results at that tournament.  He just wanted to make sure that she was ingraining the techniques and tactics she would need for the higher level of play he was trying to get her to in the future.

Maybe something like that is going on here.  I think Larry Hodges blogged about this dilemma between playing with tactics that will give you the best chance of winning now at the expense of developing habits that will make it harder to develop the tactics and techniques that you will need later and playing with tactics that give you less chance of winning now but help you develop the skills you will need at higher levels.  He noted that part of the problem is you often need to win a lot when young to get recognized so that you get access to high level coaching and possibly have part of your training costs subsidized.

Mark  

Posted By: hookumsnivy
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I think this may be a case of training for the future.  That is, his coaches have him doing a lot of things that are not optimal for his size and reach at this time but which will be his fundamental tactics when is a little older and physically larger and stronger.

I once overheard a coach at a tournament tell one of his juniors something to the effect " I don't care if you are missing all those loops.  You are doing great trying to move into position.  Keep it up and soon they will be landing and you will really have a higher level game."    He was not concerned at all with her results at that tournament.  He just wanted to make sure that she was ingraining the techniques and tactics she would need for the higher level of play he was trying to get her to in the future.

Maybe something like that is going on here.  I think Larry Hodges blogged about this dilemma between playing with tactics that will give you the best chance of winning now at the expense of developing habits that will make it harder to develop the tactics and techniques that you will need later and playing with tactics that give you less chance of winning now but help you develop the skills you will need at higher levels.  He noted that part of the problem is you often need to win a lot when young to get recognized so that you get access to high level coaching and possibly have part of your training costs subsidized.

Mark  

Great point.  I didn't take that into account.

Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 1:49pm
The kid looked several hundred points lower level than the  girl chopper, but then again, this kid is already above average USATT club player level...

-------------

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 2:13pm

I know nothing, looking for my rubber cleaner. I dislike these rating posts. Kid has a few skills.

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Posted By: tommyzai
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 5:38pm
So hard to accurately rate someone from Vids. My form is terrible, but I have experience and can wiggle out wins here and here. Some players, especially young coached players, have excellent form, but lose a lot.

-------------
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]

Posted By: APW46
Date Posted: 10/10/2014 at 3:08pm
The trouble with trying to rate players based only on a clip is that good technique gives false positive opinion, and bad technique can give false negative opinion, there is a massive cross over there, because other important factors, such as experience, mental agility and historical results can't be factored in. Its good fun, but that is all.

-------------
The Older I get, The better I was.

Posted By: tommyzai
Date Posted: 10/10/2014 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

The trouble with trying to rate players based only on a clip is that good technique gives false positive opinion, and bad technique can give false negative opinion, there is a massive cross over there, because other important factors, such as experience, mental agility and historical results can't be factored in. Its good fun, but that is all.

+1. My form is horrible due to physical problems, so I get very little respect until someone plays me. The reverse can also be true . . . many players look impressive, but have no game. Still, the young player here can clearly play and has been trained.

-------------
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]

Date Posted: 10/10/2014 at 10:40pm

Well, it will be interesting to see how the kid does against his peers of Russia in a tournament this weekend, only for the 20 top 10 year olds.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/11/2014 at 1:58am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I know nothing, looking for my rubber cleaner. I dislike these rating posts. Kid has a few skills.

Good ole SGT Schultz...

-------------

Date Posted: 10/16/2014 at 12:25am

Well, it will be interesting to see how the kid does against his peers of Russia in a tournament this weekend, only for the 20 top 10 year olds.

The kid finished 19th of 24 players invited for the top 10 year olds in an all Russia only competition.   

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net