Print Page | Close Window

Yinhe Big Dipper - Review

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68381
Printed Date: 04/23/2024 at 10:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yinhe Big Dipper - Review
Posted By: ZApenholder
Subject: Yinhe Big Dipper - Review
Date Posted: 09/18/2014 at 8:01pm
My first review Smile (did this around 1 week ago)

Been waiting for my stock of Big Dipper to arrive, as I am looking for an alternative for the H3 on my forehand.

One of the things that caught my eyes was the blue sponge on the black rubbers (red rubbers has bright yellow sponge).

The packaging:
The packaging is of high quality. Something totally different to previous Yinhe rubbers.
Comes in a clear wrapping, followed by the white package/covers - much better quality than other Yinhe rubbers:

After taking out the rubber from the clear package and white cover, the rubber itself also came with a seperate clear package.
The topsheet has another film (as per normal Tacky rubbers), and the sponge has another film (just like previous Yinhe Maxtense rubbers). This rubber also comes with a rubber protection film (just like previous Maxtense rubbers)

The top sheet quality is very good, the print of the label is better and clearer than previous Yinhe Maxtense rubbers (moon, sun)
The blue sponge is similar in colour to the DHS blue sponge.
I notice the Big Dipper (black) and Moon Speed (black) has the exact same blue Maxtense sponge. So the only differences is the hardness level.
Maxtense is supposedly be a Tensor like sponge.

It was difficult to take the correct colour of the blue sponge due to lighting, the bottom one is the best I could get to and near perfect Smile

The Rubber

Yinhe Blue Dipper, Black, 39 Deg, Max (it is available in 38, 39 and 40 Degrees)
68grams uncut
Blue Maxtense sponge (factory tuned)
RRP from Yinhe is +/- USD$25

The topsheet is not as tacky as the commercial H3/TG3.
It can only hold the ball for a split second.
The top sheet is extremely grippy (due to the slight tack) but not sticky tacky. The feeling is like a provincial version H3 rubber. Which means the stickiness (or rather lack of) does not stop the acceleration of the ball Smile

The bounce test with the bat on the table is similar to any other hard sponge Chinese tacky rubber - few bounces and the ball is on the rubber.

Doing a spin test, I could get great grip into the sponge and produce great spin.

Testing Review:

Equipment
Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (Cpen) - 94 grams
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper, Black, Max - 39 Deg sponge - 44 grams (cpen cut with 1.5cm gap)
BH: Andro Hexer+ (old rubber), Red, 2.1mm - 38grams (cpen cut with 1.5cm gap)
Total weight - 178grams

Warm up and first impression

My first impression was - huge catapult effect - It didn't feel like a Chinese tacky rubber.
It took me around 5 balls before getting the ball onto the table. First five balls, my first touch made the ball go 1meter off the table (I normally use H3 or TG3 on the forehand).
I had doubts that this is a 39 deg sponge, feels more like 36 deg. Maybe it got to do with the factory tuned sponge.

FH Top spin
After gettting used to the pace of the rubber, I was able to generate powerful top spin forehand shots - having high spin and power behind the ball.
As per my previous review above, there isn't a lot of tack in the top sheet (I will explain further), but with a power shot, I was able to grip deep into the sponge and release the ball with extreme precision and spin. The feeling of this sponge is similar to DHS Provincial and more leaning towards National sponge! I'm sure the pretune effect is making it so great, so I actually want to test one without the tune, so I will need to wait a couple of weeks and remove the layer at the bottom and test again.
Yinhe told me, they will be making "provincial" version of this rubber, I can't wait for that.

FH Arc
During warmup, the arc was huge - because I wasn't able to control the rubber yet.
But once I was able to control the rubber slighty better , I could generate low arc and high arc - depending on my bat angle and contact point (of the ball arc)
This feeling is the same with a boosted H3 commercial or provincial H3, just below national H3.
It is very easy to use (a bit too fast and powerful for my students though)

BH Cpen Traditional block
I didn't try a SH backhand, or Cpen RPB (Didn't have enough time as I was doing all this in a coaching session)
The traditional block (passive) arc was quite high, but with a power added traditional block, the arc can get pretty low and more tricky for the opponent.
Again the same feeling as a boosted H3 commerical or prov and just below nat H3 rubber.

I do believe this rubber can work for RPB or normal shakehand play.

Service
I wasn't used to the big catapult effect, as most of my serves was eating too much into the sponge, thus pushing the ball long.
My spin was not as powerful as my H3, but I have to say, service is the most difficult part of the game to master, so I do believe if I had more time to use this rubber, I am able to control it fully.

At the moment, I can only control it 50% and able to do ghost serves, down the line on the white line and side spin onto the base white line and off the right hand side of the table.
Long serve was very easy to do, but overall my service quality, placement etc was not good.
There is plenty of spin, so I don't have doubt that the rubber is good for service, I just need more time to train myself with it.

Short Balls/Chops

Getting the ball on the bounce (short balls), I manage to use only the tack of the topsheet and only using the sponge when required. So this is like 2 gears - soft sponge and hard sponge basically. My placement was great, and few times my opponent only got there after the second bounce (wide fh short). Placement - great, spin - almost great.

Chops.
I did some underspin feeding to my students. Extreme spinny. I can use only the top sheet tack or also can eat deap into the sponge. If I go deep into the sponge, my students will net the ball with a top spin shot (didn't adjust in my change of action). I did notice that my deep into the sponge feed, to shoot out faster and longer - same as a Tensor rubber

So I think I need to serve with this "2 gear" action - Topsheet with little sponge, or with lots of sponge.
But so far for both chop and service - I do wish for a bit less catapult effect.

Conclusion.
I think the sponge is too soft for a rating of 39 Deg. I actually want to try 40 or 41 Dec, or 39 with no tune.
The top sheet is just perfect - not too tacky and feels like a provincial H3 top sheet. It also has great grip due to a pretty elastic top sheet - what makes this nice is that one can use the tack when required (short movement or just contact the top sheet), or go further into the sponge and grip the ball like a Tensor rubber and when doing that, you have a best of both worlds (slight tack + tensor like sponge)

I think this rubber is great for players who want tacky rubber but on a softer sponge, or Tensor like sponge. Or Euro style game, but want a Chinese like forehand or play. Best of both worlds and I didn't even know such rubber exists.

The marketing of this rubber states this is a forehand rubber, but due to the soft feel, I would say, this can work on the backhand too. Also the rubber is not heavy compared to a H3 (50grams vs Big Dipper of 44 grams cpen cut). My rating of the soft feel is medium - medium hard, or around 36deg - same as Tenergy 05 +/-.

Also note, this is designed for the new ball. And I have notice much more spin from a topspin game than that of a regular H3 boosted (all other new poly rubber state more spin....I haven't tested other rubbers yet, so maybe if true, this is a pattern).
For example on the more spin, my student uses a TG3 Neo, and tried out my setup. I was choping with a TSP P4 Curl on a TSP Balsa 3.5 (Def+) and with the TG3 he was netting 50% of the balls. With the Big Dipper, he net less than 20% of the ball. I'm sure he will buy a Big Dipper tomorrow

Few things to note:
- I glued up the rubber on Friday, tested out today (Monday), so the rubber did "air" a bit.
- This rubber is factory tuned, so the feeling will change once the tune weighs out.
-The black rubber has blue sponge, red rubber is yellow. I'm not sure if the red rubber is similar at this stage.
- I am a seller of Yinhe, so some may think I might be biased. I have to say, this rubber really surprise me and I will give it a few more tries and comment once I can control 80% of the rubber. I have a feeling I can move over from H3 to Big Dipper.
- Oh, and the blue sponge is just way too cool

Now I just like to nominate Yogi_Bear to get one and do a review too

After 5 hours of testing (mostly blocking or multiball feeding)

Rubin normally can block my H3 FH more consistently. He is struggling with the added spin and power. Please do excuse my rustiness. I don't train any more and this is like the first work out in a long long time Ouch

Edit:
Pics not showings Unhappy

Can check out the pics with review here:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8709-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Review" rel="nofollow - http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8709-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Review

Replies:
Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 09/18/2014 at 8:10pm
sell me one!!! nice review by the way :D

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Date Posted: 09/18/2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

sell me one!!! nice review by the way :D

not sure why my pics not showing....
In the preview it works, but after submitting it, I noticed it removed a "?" in the URL and thus displaying an incorrect link........ why is that Confused

Posted By: TurboZ
Date Posted: 09/18/2014 at 8:42pm
Taobao has it now and through an agent it can be had for $24 include shipping.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53150&title=feedback-turboz - My Feedback

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 09/19/2014 at 4:16am
Great review Tony, sounds really good.

I've ordered mine (plus a sheet of Moon Speed) from tt-store.eu. Not arrived yet...

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Date Posted: 09/19/2014 at 7:42am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I've ordered mine (plus a sheet of Moon Speed) from tt-store.eu. Not arrived yet...

Sweet,
Hope you can share your feedback too on the Big Dipper

If the sponge is indeed tensor like, then this may just be rubber that many people are looking for - Chinese like with Tensor sponge

Date Posted: 09/19/2014 at 7:46am
Fatt, Imago, not sure if you gents can help

Are you able to edit my photos link?

When I copy URL in, the photos under preview works fine.
Once I submit, then the photos don't show and the URL has changed (missing a "?")

Example

Correct URL:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10629810_781267448590846_9178952388114632105_n.jpg?oh=ea0b5d18466cd73ea37e91cdd22da13e&oe=548EAB96" rel="nofollow - https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10629810_781267448590846_9178952388114632105_n.jpg?oh=ea0b5d18466cd73ea37e91cdd22da13e&oe=548EAB96

Incorrect URL:
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10629810_781267448590846_9178952388114632105_n.jpgoh=ea0b5d18466cd73ea37e91cdd22da13e&ampoe=548EAB96" rel="nofollow - https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10629810_781267448590846_9178952388114632105_n.jpgoh=ea0b5d18466cd73ea37e91cdd22da13e&ampoe=548EAB96

These are pictures from my FB page and same links work in other forums

Date Posted: 09/19/2014 at 8:53am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Sweet,
Hope you can share your feedback too on the Big Dipper

If the sponge is indeed tensor like, then this may just be rubber that many people are looking for - Chinese like with Tensor sponge

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a big fan of the original Moon and Moon Pro.

-------------

Posted By: PingPongHolic10
Date Posted: 09/19/2014 at 2:10pm

I am looking forward to receiving my Dipper & Moon Speed as well!! 

Yinhe Moon pro has been my FH rubber since it came out=)  it's not much different than the hurricanes/TGs.

I also got some untuned versions of Dipper because I am afraid that they'll get bubble up easily (eg. Moon Pro - Fact. Tuned)

Will have review & video when possible.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55790&KW=&title=fs-ft-2014-inventory-clearancecpenspro-releases" rel="nofollow - My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 09/19/2014 at 10:43pm
Yeah !!

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 09/20/2014 at 7:13pm
pics not showings Unhappy

Can check out the pics with review here:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8709-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Review" rel="nofollow - http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8709-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Review

Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 6:35pm
Was away with the family over the weekend, but the rubbers were waiting for me when I got home.

Moon Speed looks a lot like the regular moon topsheet on a new, eyeball melting yellow sponge (this is a red topsheet). The topsheet labelling is different though, so there are probably some differences.

Big Dipper has the blue sponge Tony has already mentioned. The topsheet is the interesting bit. It's slightly tacky, with a glossy appearance. Running a finger down it gives the impression of extreme grip. Feels like it could strip the skin off your finger.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 6:45am

Was away with the family over the weekend, but the rubbers were waiting for me when I got home.

Moon Speed looks a lot like the regular moon topsheet on a new, eyeball melting yellow sponge (this is a red topsheet). The topsheet labelling is different though, so there are probably some differences.

Big Dipper has the blue sponge Tony has already mentioned. The topsheet is the interesting bit. It's slightly tacky, with a glossy appearance. Running a finger down it gives the impression of extreme grip. Feels like it could strip the skin off your finger.

Hehe, don't hurt your finger my friend lol

I noticed the Moon Speed top sheet is more elastic than the old Moon (maybe check it after you cut that loose part off)

What sponge hardness Moon Speed you got?
I assume you got 38 Deg Big Dipper right?

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 6:59am

Hehe, don't hurt your finger my friend lol

I noticed the Moon Speed top sheet is more elastic than the old Moon (maybe check it after you cut that loose part off)

What sponge hardness Moon Speed you got?
I assume you got 38 Deg Big Dipper right?

Since that last post, I've weighed, cut and glued them. You're probably right about Moon Speed - I remember the cut-offs from the original Moon being a bit brittle (for want of a better word). You could stretch them a bit, and then they just break. Moon Speed doesn't do this, but it does have quite a tight feel. It won't stretch like an elastic band, like some soft tensors will. Moon Speed stretches, resists, and then snaps back.

The ones I got were Moon Speed Soft, and Big Dipper 38. I'm a fan of softer sponges anyway, so no worries. I have to say that I like the look of Big Dipper. Training night tonight, so looking forward to trying the setup out.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 7:38am

Since that last post, I've weighed, cut and glued them. You're probably right about Moon Speed - I remember the cut-offs from the original Moon being a bit brittle (for want of a better word). You could stretch them a bit, and then they just break. Moon Speed doesn't do this, but it does have quite a tight feel. It won't stretch like an elastic band, like some soft tensors will. Moon Speed stretches, resists, and then snaps back.

The ones I got were Moon Speed Soft, and Big Dipper 38. I'm a fan of softer sponges anyway, so no worries. I have to say that I like the look of Big Dipper. Training night tonight, so looking forward to trying the setup out.

I don't know why, but I'm also excited haha,
Hope you enjoy the Big Dipper as much as I did :)

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 9:35am

I don't know why, but I'm also excited haha,
Hope you enjoy the Big Dipper as much as I did :)

I just had a short 30 min session on the robot with them.

I'm not sure about the feel of the Moon Speed. It seemed a little off/on in terms of gears, and the "on" gear is fast.

Big Dipper felt very nice though. It's pretty fast, good spin, but felt really stable during flat hit exercises. Counters were very easy. It's got a really loud "crack" sound on hard hits, like breaking glass. BD seemed to be easier than H3 when switching between brush looping and flatter hitting. I did a bit of service practice when picking up balls, and I agree with you Tony - it's not as easy to produce heavy, short serves as H3. It doesn't have the tackiness, and faster wrist action tends to sling the service out long. Needs work.

Robot sessions are pretty poor for working these things out though, especially for new models of rubber. Tonight's session will be far more useful.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/23/2014 at 5:38am
Had a great session with Big Dipper last night.

I can't argue with any of the details Tony gave in his review. The main thing I liked is how easy BD is to use when being aggressive. Brush looping, driving, hitting - it all works well. It doesn't make any demands that you play in a certain way.

I was caught out a few times by the speed. I tried to play as I would with H3N, and when I got a mid-table ball with little (or no) spin, I'd shoot the ball long at first. This was mainly when I was looping against block. With H3N, I'd just continuously loop hard, but BD has got a lot of extra power. In the end, it was (much) easier just to smash those balls.

On the other hand, BD's speed and catapult gives it a big advantage over H3N (unboosted) from distance. I pulled off some good retrievals from awkward positions. I would really struggle with H3N in those scenarios.

By the end of the night, I'd got a grip on serving with BD. Spin is really, really good. Keeping the serve short is just a matter of concentration.

If the durability holds up, I'm probably going to make the FH switch to Big Dipper. It's very, very impressive. And really cheap for the performance.

I wasn't so sold on Moon Speed. It's fast, with average topsheet grip. It would suit people who like Calibra, Boost, etc. I'm just spoilt with tensor grip and catapult on my BH these days. It felt like a good rubber for a block/hit/punch style, but it wasn't very forgiving on BH looping for me.

-------------

Posted By: *_strataras_*
Date Posted: 09/23/2014 at 5:58am
AndySmith you didn't tell us on which blade have you test it?!

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74157&title=feedback-strataras" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Date Posted: 09/23/2014 at 6:00am
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

AndySmith you didn't tell us on which blade have you test it?!

As yes, good point.

Nexy Peter Pan. Now dearly departed. SAD FACE.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2014 at 5:51am
After my good experience with Big Dipper on Monday night, I went straight into a match last night with it. Won all my games. I'm very impressed with how it plays in pressure situations. It's very stable, while being massively spinny when attacking hard.

Most of my errors were against a retriever, and I was sending the ball long on occasion. My mindset at the table is to use BD like I would use H3N, but BD's extra speed catches me out. Brush looping is almost the same, but BD's pace sometimes surprises me. I need time to break out of the habits I built up over years of H3N use, but this is definitely a rubber which is worth it to me. I shouldn't too long to adjust.

Durability is the only real concern now. The topsheet looks a bit visibly worn already (6 hours of use now), although it still feels the same to the touch. If I can get 3-4 months out of it, it's a winner. It would be the answer to wanting something like H3N but with more top-end speed and better flat hitting behaviour (i.e. something like a boosted H3N, without all the faff).

Of course, all of this is with the celluloid ball...

-------------

Posted By: dual700
Date Posted: 09/24/2014 at 10:34am
Andy, how would you compare it to the good, old Red Sponge Haifu Shark II? Wink
Spin and speed wise?

Thank you

Date Posted: 09/24/2014 at 10:55am
Very different to Shark - it's closer to Whale really. But compared to Shark:

BD is semi-tacky rather than just grippy. Slower in the short game. Probably about the same speed in higher gears. BD is more reactive to spin (while not being too difficult). BD is far more spinny, especially when brushing.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2014 at 11:13am
Thanks buddy, I will give it a try for sure! Clap

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 9:54am
Great review Andy,

Same thing on my side, now it is a matter of durability and see how long the factory tuner will last.

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:12am

Great review Andy,

Same thing on my side, now it is a matter of durability and see how long the factory tuner will last.

Cheers. I've ordered a few more sheets. Will be good to try a few different blades out with it.

If it stays peachy for a few months, I'll be over the moon. A few years back I wanted to stay with H3N on my FH wing, but I just can't get enough out of it. Don't have the physical strength I used to have, and I don't want to faff around with boosters. I moved to tensors, but I miss the tacky grip in the short game, and I missed having a nasty brush FH loop. This seems like THE answer for me.

I know my personal experience won't overlap with many people here, but if you want a faster, half-tacky alternative to H3N, this is well worth a look.

Tony - thanks for your early reviews (I think I saw your post over at TTD first). I might have missed this one without your insight.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:25am

Great review Andy,

Cheers. I've ordered a few more sheets. Will be good to try a few different blades out with it.

If it stays peachy for a few months, I'll be over the moon. A few years back I wanted to stay with H3N on my FH wing, but I just can't get enough out of it. Don't have the physical strength I used to have, and I don't want to faff around with boosters. I moved to tensors, but I miss the tacky grip in the short game, and I missed having a nasty brush FH loop. This seems like THE answer for me.

I know my personal experience won't overlap with many people here, but if you want a faster, half-tacky alternative to H3N, this is well worth a look.

Tony - thanks for your early reviews (I think I saw your post over at TTD first). I might have missed this one without your insight.

Yeah, I did the TTD review first, and then a week or so later, I add it here - which is a complete failure, as I can't get the pics to show from my FB URL and request to mods seems to gone unnoticed.

Any ways, I am starting to worry..... why is your experience the exact same with mine? Why are you copying me lol :)

I stop playing with H3 + Speed glue, came back 6 years later with H3 and no speed glue and didn't want to boost and struggled. Went to Tensor and came back to H3 with boost
And now I'm happy with Big Dipper, wonder how many more others out there is like us LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:31am
The real issue for me isn't durability, it is quality control.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:36am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Another known unknown. I'll have 3 sheets of black 38deg to compare soon, so maybe that will shed some light.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 11:35am

Another known unknown. I'll have 3 sheets of black 38deg to compare soon, so maybe that will shed some light.

Yinhe quality control on Moon, Sun, Mars to me seems to be decent.

Of maybe over 300 rubbers sheets, I had one instance where a Mars packaging had a Moon rubber inside. Customer was happy about that lol

So far, my BD and my student BD seems to be similar

Posted By: bluehorseshoe
Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:08am
Does anyone know of anywhere in the US that sells this?  I'd really like to try it.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122

Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:20am
I told eacheng to carry this rubber Big smile
They will carry it next week and I will order..

Posted By: kucharski
Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:35am
I had used the rubber and observed that after 2-3 weeks of practice the topsheet of the rubber fades.. The tackiness was noticeably lessen..

-------------
Impossible is really impossible

Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by kucharski kucharski wrote:

I had used the rubber and observed that after 2-3 weeks of practice the topsheet of the rubber fades.. The tackiness was noticeably lessen..
Does the spin decrease or the same?

Posted By: kucharski
Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:58am
The spin is there I mean it is a Chinese rubber so its spinny, but once you notice the fade on the rubbers top sheet you tend to adjust the angle a little open because in my case I was worried everytime I doing topspin because the ball might sink in the net.. Well that's just my experience.. Shoud have put a rubber film on it.

-------------
Impossible is really impossible

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 4:27am
I've put about 10 hours of use into mine. The topsheet is showing some obvious visual wear, which is pretty quick. However, it seems to only be a cosmetic thing for me at this stage - it still feels as tacky to my finger, and still plays the same. I am using a protector though.

Also - I'm having some really good results with Big Dipper. I absolutely love it.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 5:56am
Here is a quick pic of the topsheet wear. I turned the flash on and exposure up to emphasise things. It doesn't look so dusty in real life.

Again, it still feels and plays excellently. It just looks bad.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 8:58am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

I told eacheng to carry this rubber Big smile
They will carry it next week and I will order..

I told Yinhe that no one is carrying they stock
30 mins later they send out a special, where they will send sample rubbers to each store.

Soon more and more stores will carry it

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:04am
AndySmith

That is a lot of damage for 10 hours of play.
My H3 are similar like that, but that is with a lot more hours of usage.

I've done more than 10 hours on my Big Dipper and haven't noticed much differences.
But then again, my usage is not as heavy compared to normal active players.
I hit some, and mostly block or feed with it.

I personally think with the lack of tack, the grip is coming from both topsheet and sponge.
So if the topsheet wears out, one can still get decent amount of spin from sponge, but obviously top sheet added extra is the key here.

I am also loving my Big Dipper, and if it can last 2 to 3 months, then it is really worth it.

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:16am
Of the 10 hours use, 2 of those were against the robot, which is more intensive than general play. But even though the topsheet looks worn, it's still tacky in that area. And the grip overall is still huuuuuge.

It just seems to lose the initial glossy shine quickly, and ends up looking worn. I've got no complaints so far - it still performs. My second order of another 2 sheets arrived this morning.

I think this will be one popular rubber...

-------------

Posted By: ttsquared
Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 12:47pm
I've been using the Big Dipper for about a month (given ZA's review). Love the rubber on my FH. I found it generates more spin than 05, with a bit more control. I have a boosted H3 national, which is faster, but I don't have the patience for boosting, so BD is an upgrade IMO - plus it's much cheaper. I also haven't had any wear issues after a month of regular play in matches and with a robot. I do use a protector, though.

Incidentally, I ordered two sheets from tt-store.eu (I'm in the US) a month ago and they shipped it promptly, and answered some questions via email - so great service overall. I ordered two more sheets this past week.

Frankly, I can't believe this rubber isn't more widely available - stuff would sell like hotcakes. Someone with some clout should get on the horn with Yinhe and tell them to right this wrong.

-------------
Viscaria: Yinhe Big Dipper, Tuttle Beijing 4

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by ttsquared ttsquared wrote:

I've been using the Big Dipper for about a month (given ZA's review). Love the rubber on my FH. I found it generates more spin than 05, with a bit more control. I have a boosted H3 national, which is faster, but I don't have the patience for boosting, so BD is an upgrade IMO - plus it's much cheaper. I also haven't had any wear issues after a month of regular play in matches and with a robot. I do use a protector, though.

Incidentally, I ordered two sheets from tt-store.eu (I'm in the US) a month ago and they shipped it promptly, and answered some questions via email - so great service overall. I ordered two more sheets this past week.

Frankly, I can't believe this rubber isn't more widely available - stuff would sell like hotcakes. Someone with some clout should get on the horn with Yinhe and tell them to right this wrong.

I guess it's just too new. I hadn't seen or heard anything about it being on the market until Tony's review. It's bound to get a lot of interest once it's available via the usual interweb shops.

That looks like a great setup, by the way...

-------------

Date Posted: 10/02/2014 at 12:22am
Anyone tried a red sheet?

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: hookumsnivy
Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 9:32am
Can anyone give a comparison to H3 Neo Prov 39deg?

I'm interested in the following attributes:
Tackiness
Short game
Serves
Sponge (it was mentioned that it felt softer than advertised)
Throw

Thanks

Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 10:25am
I used to play with H3NP39. Here's what I think, compared to Big Dipper 38deg.

Tackiness - BD is less tacky. Can only hold the ball for a split second.

Short game - BD is a little bouncier, but not what I would call bouncy in general (nothing like a tensor's bounciness). BD also reacts less to incoming spin in passive play.

Serves - On anything more than touchy shots, BD has an elastic "kick". This can disrupt your serving - you need good touch to use a very fine contact to keep serves short. I needed a short period of adjustment here. Spin is high, and serving long with speed is easier with BD IMO.

Sponge - My 38deg does feel quite a bit softer than the 39deg H3NP I used. It's more springy in nature too. It still has a tight feel.

Throw - Probably a bit higher than H3NP, not much in it.

You've asked about qualities which are H3's strengths. If I had to sum it up, BD sacrifices a little of those qualities (brush spin, short game, extreme linearity) for a nice increase in speed. Like Tony mentioned, you've getting some of the elastic nature of tensors (especially in the higher gears) instead. This is the kind of feel I was looking for in a boosted H3N. It's not exactly like that, but it's close enough.

Stuff like Thor's was an attempt to create a hybrid tacky tensor, but starting at the euro end of the scale. This feels like a hybrid coming from the Chinese end.

Anyone tried a red sheet?

Sorry - black all the way here.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 10:40am
Thanks for the comparison.  Part of me really wants to try it (who doesn't like trying new rubbers?), but part of me worries about the differences.
The lack of tack, and sacrifices in the short/service game worry me.

How would you say it compares in the spin department?  Based on what you said, I'm guessing it has less spin in short serves and brushing.  I would assume w/ a more dynamic sponge it has increased spin when engaging the sponge.

Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 10:52am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

How would you say it compares in the spin department?  Based on what you said, I'm guessing it has less spin in short serves and brushing.  I would assume w/ a more dynamic sponge it has increased spin when engaging the sponge.

It has loads of spin when brushing, but you have to be careful to avoid the ball jumping out. With the serves as an example, I'd get massive spin on all my usual brush serves, but it was harder to keep them short. You need a really fine contact, whereas H3's dead sponge makes this kind of thing easier.

It all comes down to what you want in a rubber. Have you ever lusted after a more dynamic H3? If you have, and can cope with the loss of some of the tack, then it's worth a go. It's quite cheap!

-------------

Posted By: ghostzen
Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 12:01pm
Doesn't look like http://tt-store.eu has any black left... :(

Anyone know where i can get a sheet in the UK or elsewhere?

Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 12:02pm
Hehe

AndySmith said everything that I wanted to say.
So easy for me to just sit back and agree

PS - I do not know AndySmith in person, or is he affliated to Tony's Table Tennis LOL

Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Doesn't look like http://tt-store.eu has any black left... :(

Anyone know where i can get a sheet in the UK or elsewhere?

If you want, I can look at selling to you from South Africa

Currently SA Post Office is on strike, so only way to get stock out is courier
That may cost a bit though

Posted By: ghostzen
Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 1:42pm
Thanks that would be great. Can you PM me with some prices?

Date Posted: 10/06/2014 at 1:55pm
I ordered the last black one and one red hence my question... Not sure when it will arrive.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: tazdevil
Date Posted: 10/08/2014 at 1:53pm
Hi Andy,

In another thread, you mentioned that you liked DHS H3-50 a lot.  How would you compare Big Dipper to the DHS H3-50?  I felt the sticky topsheet with the soft (I guess bouncy) sponge from H3-50 lacks some punch...

taz

Date Posted: 10/08/2014 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by tazdevil tazdevil wrote:

Hi Andy,

In another thread, you mentioned that you liked DHS H3-50 a lot.  How would you compare Big Dipper to the DHS H3-50?  I felt the sticky topsheet with the soft (I guess bouncy) sponge from H3-50 lacks some punch...

taz

Yeah, I think that H3-50 gives H3 a more modern feel. The main problem is the simple lack of speed. It needs a fast blade, or very active stroke, or boosting. If XX does use H3-50 on his BH side, I doubt he uses it in its raw, undoctored form.

BD is quite different. BD's topsheet is thinner, not as tacky, and far more elastic and lively. You have to work H3-50 very hard to make it sing, but BD needs far less effort to use. BD is obviously more bouncy and less linear though.

-------------

Posted By: _maddic
Date Posted: 10/08/2014 at 11:28pm
Hey Andy ,
could you compare Big Dipper to any of the following ?

Xiom Vega Asia
Xiom Omega V Tour
Addidas P7
Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft

you mentioned pairing it with peterpan , iam using kanaph atm and their composition doesn't seem to be that far apart. thinking of trying it as my FH

Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 4:04am
Oooo, tricky. They are all non-tacky tensors. Making direct comparisons is a bit fiddly.

Hardness - my 38 deg BD has the feel of a medium hardness tensor, so around the P7 mark. Harder than R7Soft, softer than Vega Asia and OVTour. Obviously you can get harder versions of BD (and I would like to try out the 39 and 40 degree versions at some point).

BD has a slower, spinnier short game than any of these tensors for my game, probably due to the tack. Better service spin than these too.

At full speed, BD is probably about as fast as the R7Soft.

Throw is medium-high, along the lines of P7.

The feel is quite different to all of them, but is probably closest to Vega Asia. The main thing to point out is that BD supports both a brushing and a driving style. One of the joys I've found in using it is that when hitting a loop, I can consciously choose to either hit through with the sponge or brush with the topsheet, and you get a good quality ball in either case. This can be difficult for the opponent, because they get different arcs and bounces coming at them with high spin. I think Vega Asia is the only one on that list which can do that kind of thing to some degree, but not to the level of BD.

I don't think Kanaph is similar to Peterpan - Kanaph has carbon and thick hinoki outers. I can't be 100% sure on how BD will work with Kanaph - I haven't used it myself. BD has a bit of an off/on nature (when the sponge is engaged), and hinoki outers can have that feel too, so combining the two may be too much. I would recommend going for a 40 deg BD to tone down the elastic nature of the rubber. But it all comes down to what you're looking for, of course. If you're happy with an elastic response on the FH of the Kanaph, then I'm sure you'd love it! I used to love that kind of feel on the FH of hinoki-outered blades (but I had fits on my BH side, so I've abandoned this type of setup for now).

-------------

Posted By: BaiMile
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 5:03am
Andy, can you compare the BD to other YinHe tacky rubbers - Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Appolo - they are all tacky with a bit of jumpy sponge (some type of hybrid rubbers, let's say).
Thanks!

Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 5:32am
Originally posted by BaiMile BaiMile wrote:

Andy, can you compare the BD to other YinHe tacky rubbers - Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Appolo - they are all tacky with a bit of jumpy sponge (some type of hybrid rubbers, let's say).
Thanks!

Hmmm. The only one of those I've used for any length of time is Mercury. BD is faster and less tacky than Mercury, for sure. I get the feeling that BD won't be as durable as Mercury though.

I did have a 10 minute blast with the original Apollo many years back. Again, BD is faster and less tacky (a LOT less tacky - Apollo was just like flypaper).

My gut feel is that BD is unlike the old Yinhe range. The topsheet is thin and lively, the sponge is porous and tuned. It feels alive in comparison with the old stuff, which had that dead, brick-like feel. The only one close is Moon Pro. BD is like a pumped-up Moon Pro.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Thanks that would be great. Can you PM me with some prices?

Sorry, missed this message.

SA Post Office still on strike.
Had a brief look at courier prices - the courier cost itself cost more than the rubber.....
So unless you looking to order few items, I don't think this is attractive enough.

Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 6:37am

Oooo, tricky. They are all non-tacky tensors. Making direct comparisons is a bit fiddly.

Hardness - my 38 deg BD has the feel of a medium hardness tensor, so around the P7 mark. Harder than R7Soft, softer than Vega Asia and OVTour. Obviously you can get harder versions of BD (and I would like to try out the 39 and 40 degree versions at some point).

BD has a slower, spinnier short game than any of these tensors for my game, probably due to the tack. Better service spin than these too.

At full speed, BD is probably about as fast as the R7Soft.

Throw is medium-high, along the lines of P7.

The feel is quite different to all of them, but is probably closest to Vega Asia. The main thing to point out is that BD supports both a brushing and a driving style. One of the joys I've found in using it is that when hitting a loop, I can consciously choose to either hit through with the sponge or brush with the topsheet, and you get a good quality ball in either case. This can be difficult for the opponent, because they get different arcs and bounces coming at them with high spin. I think Vega Asia is the only one on that list which can do that kind of thing to some degree, but not to the level of BD.

I don't think Kanaph is similar to Peterpan - Kanaph has carbon and thick hinoki outers. I can't be 100% sure on how BD will work with Kanaph - I haven't used it myself. BD has a bit of an off/on nature (when the sponge is engaged), and hinoki outers can have that feel too, so combining the two may be too much. I would recommend going for a 40 deg BD to tone down the elastic nature of the rubber. But it all comes down to what you're looking for, of course. If you're happy with an elastic response on the FH of the Kanaph, then I'm sure you'd love it! I used to love that kind of feel on the FH of hinoki-outered blades (but I had fits on my BH side, so I've abandoned this type of setup for now).

Great comparison.

Imo, I think it is silly to compare them to non-tacky tensors, next people will want you to compare them with short pimples lol.

I think the closes thing to non tacky tensors in a BD is that it is more like a Hybrid rubber - have the best of both worlds.

But, for ones who have not used either "side of the world" type of rubbers, one would not know the feeling of BD.

We also need to note, BD is designed for the new ball - hence more quality on speed and spin (compared to previous Yinhe tacky rubbers). We see this with the other "tier 1" brands - new rubbers too.

Posted By: _maddic
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 8:49pm
Thanks Andy ,

I'am still new to tacky rubbers and the comparisons were really helpful , will probably pair it with a slower blade and see how it goes.

Posted By: rusttt
Date Posted: 10/09/2014 at 9:03pm
Any dealers in the US have it yet?

Date Posted: 10/10/2014 at 4:11am
tnha on eBay now have them, but you have to buy a pair...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Max-Tense-Tacky-Pips-In-Table-Tennis-Rubber-with-sponge-/261622060164?pt=UK_Sports_TableTennis_RL&var=&hash=item3ce9e3d484" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Max-Tense-Tacky-Pips-In-Table-Tennis-Rubber-with-sponge-/261622060164?pt=UK_Sports_TableTennis_RL&var=&hash=item3ce9e3d484

-------------

Date Posted: 10/10/2014 at 9:21am
China friend listed it on Ebay for $18.99.  It says there are 6 left.  Free shipping, but you have to wait for it to come from China.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xyinhe+big+dipper+rubber&_nkw=yinhe+big+dipper+rubber&_sacat=0

-------------

Date Posted: 10/11/2014 at 11:11am
Just received that last black sheet (and a red sheet) from TT-store.eu.

I will try the black on the forehand (it has a blue sponge) and the red on the backhand (it has a yellow sponge) - seems that Yinhe is smart about their sponge colors so that if better players use them, they can always tell EJs stories ;).

The preliminary view here is that this is Giant Dragon Superspin G3 with maybe a better pimple geometry - honestly, I didn't have much experience with pretuned Chinese rubbers other than that but the packaging is very similar and even the look and feel is too.  I never tried other Yinhe/Galaxy rubbers - maybe they share the same manufacturer.

The one thing is that I used Giant Dragon when I still used rubber cement but it was also well known that GD had quality control issues.  I did like the rubber a lot (had awesome tackiness for heavy pushes, even at my 1400 level then, 2000 level players used to say my push was heavy). Hopefully, being wiser about what the tuning layer does and using WBG will make this play and last better.

Will test in club later today, though I have a tournament tomorrow and will likely not over do it.  But who cares about the tournament anyways...

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/11/2014 at 9:57pm
It plays pretty well but does not reward passive play at all on either side. Either you spin, punch or smash - passive blocking required angles that I couldn't comfortably use against my superspin opponent (shay2be). Since I want to make my game more active and rebuild my strokes, I will probably switch to this rubber after tomorrow and use for a significant amount of time on both sides. Used on a Vega Euro blade

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: rusttt
Date Posted: 10/12/2014 at 4:46pm

tnha on eBay now have them, but you have to buy a pair...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Max-Tense-Tacky-Pips-In-Table-Tennis-Rubber-with-sponge-/261622060164?pt=UK_Sports_TableTennis_RL&var=&hash=item3ce9e3d484" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Max-Tense-Tacky-Pips-In-Table-Tennis-Rubber-with-sponge-/261622060164?pt=UK_Sports_TableTennis_RL&var=&hash=item3ce9e3d484

Ordered from Eacheng. Sounds like fun and a good match for my style!

-------------
my http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68681&title=feedback-rusttt" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 10/12/2014 at 4:53pm
It's a cracking rubber. It has a bit of everything available to you. Brush thin and you get the low(er) arc, skiddy, spinny ball you associate with Chinese tacky rubbers. Hit into the sponge and you get the high(er) arc with late dip you might get from eurojap rubbers. Just varying between the two shots can get you a lot of points (or set you up for a winner).

NL is right though - this is on heavier shots. It's not particularly effective if you just noodle around with it (although it does give a heavy push, IMO).

-------------

Posted By: Hans Regenkurt
Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 6:15am
How does it topspin compared to T05? And what about counterlooping with it?

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

How does it topspin compared to T05? And what about counterlooping with it?

It compares well with T05 on harder strokes, and it brushes better too. It doesn't have the T05 grab on medium effort strokes (although not much does). And it has a really different feel - more Chinese, obviously. It isn't a Tenergy alternative, but I play far better with Big Dipper on my FH than with any Tenergy.

It counterloops well too, but my 38 degree does feel like it's bottoming out during epic rallies, so I do get the occasional ball dumped into the net. I've ordered 39 and 40 degree versions to see if this helps - the 38 might not be stable enough for high-level countering.

The 38 degree also feels a bit two-geared, so I'm hoping the harder sponges make it a bit more linear. I quite like the 38 degree on my BH, so I might end up with it on both sides (harder sponge on FH).

-------------

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 12:00pm
Andy and NextLevel, have you guys tried Sanwei T88-1 without target stamp on the sponge?

I just got my BD last night, will test it on the same blade as my T88-1 this week.

Just from bouncing and slicing the ball on the racket, it feels like faster, last tacky Galaxy Venus 2 with a thinner topsheet

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Andy and NextLevel, have you guys tried Sanwei T88-1 without target stamp on the sponge?

Nope, sorry.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 5:59pm
I used Sanwei T88-I for a while(though it was maybe 2 years ago), but just glued the Big Dipper yesterday and only tried it for a bit against the robot.  I'll try to offer what little insight I can though.

They are very different rubbers.  The last two FH rubbers I used were TG3 Neo and Palio Haidou on my FH, but the Big Dipper feels like a tacky rubber on brush strokes, probably tackier than the TG3 Neo.  If you just bounce a ball on your paddle, the bounces are lower like a tacky rubber as opposed to a eurojap rubber.  I think if you brushed everything, it would be a suitable replacement for a chinese style tacky rubber with the regular minimal adjustment.  The T88-I isn't tacky at all on the surface, so you won't get the same results with the brush stroke.  BD has a tacky and very glossy topsheet which looks really nice, while I remember the T88-I to be very matte.  I also remember the T88-I being really heavy, while this is lighter, maybe just heavy.  The T88-I is more linear than the Big dipper, at least to me.  There is definitely a point where you go from a brushing stroke to a more heavy stroke and it feels like it is a different rubber.  It's easy enough to differentiate regularly.  I noticed I was missing a lot of flips initially, though some of that is just unfamiliarity with the rubber generally, but it is probably somewhere near that level of force that it seems to change a bit.  I would say on brushing strokes you can get noticeably more spin with the Big Dipper.  Probably with the bigger away from the table strokes too.  My guess is the T88 is more powerful on a flat stroke, but I could probably land a harder stroke with the BD.  It seems that you definitely have to put in the effort to get the best out of this rubber though, as it doesn't seem to have the effortless power of a eurojap rubber to me.  On tired, sloppy strokes, you'll probably get better results with the T88.  I don't remember the throw angles well enough to compare for sure, but the BD is reasonably high throw, while I remember the T88-I to be very high, but don't quote me on that.  

I did give it a try on my BH, and it played reasonably close to the XSIIE I have on the other side.  Probably a tad slower, and I can't say for sure how exactly the spin compares without an opponent.  At less than $20, it's definitely worth a try, and I'd consider it an upgrade from the T88. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

At less than $20, it's definitely worth a try, and I'd consider it an upgrade from the T88. 

Where did you order it from?  At that cost, I'll try it on my backup blade Big smile
My FH on my main setup doesn't need replacing yet.

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 6:32pm
It's great value for the price   I would recommend using the sheets that cover the glue layer as protector sheets. Will try other sponge hardness if it becomes available from a US seller.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 7:20pm
I bought mine from China-friend on Ebay.  I believe that is the same person as eacheng.net.  From my brief experience ordering from him, it appears that shipments fly from here on Fridays, so you should order enough before then, maybe Wednesday, that the package will make the Friday flight.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Max-Tense-Tacky-Table-Tennis-Rubber-Sponge-NEW-/311126215034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487091497a

-------------

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 7:43pm

I bought mine from China-friend on Ebay.  I believe that is the same person as eacheng.net.  From my brief experience ordering from him, it appears that shipments fly from here on Fridays, so you should order enough before then, maybe Wednesday, that the package will make the Friday flight.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yinhe-Big-Dipper-Max-Tense-Tacky-Table-Tennis-Rubber-Sponge-NEW-/311126215034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487091497a

What was the sponge hardness?

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 9:22pm
It was a 38 sponge.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 9:28pm
Darn, I was hoping to try 39 to match my h3 neo

Date Posted: 10/21/2014 at 10:35pm

I used Sanwei T88-I for a while(though it was maybe 2 years ago), but just glued the Big Dipper yesterday and only tried it for a bit against the robot.  I'll try to offer what little insight I can though.

They are very different rubbers.  The last two FH rubbers I used were TG3 Neo and Palio Haidou on my FH, but the Big Dipper feels like a tacky rubber on brush strokes, probably tackier than the TG3 Neo.  If you just bounce a ball on your paddle, the bounces are lower like a tacky rubber as opposed to a eurojap rubber.  I think if you brushed everything, it would be a suitable replacement for a chinese style tacky rubber with the regular minimal adjustment.  The T88-I isn't tacky at all on the surface, so you won't get the same results with the brush stroke.  BD has a tacky and very glossy topsheet which looks really nice, while I remember the T88-I to be very matte.  I also remember the T88-I being really heavy, while this is lighter, maybe just heavy.  The T88-I is more linear than the Big dipper, at least to me.  There is definitely a point where you go from a brushing stroke to a more heavy stroke and it feels like it is a different rubber.  It's easy enough to differentiate regularly.  I noticed I was missing a lot of flips initially, though some of that is just unfamiliarity with the rubber generally, but it is probably somewhere near that level of force that it seems to change a bit.  I would say on brushing strokes you can get noticeably more spin with the Big Dipper.  Probably with the bigger away from the table strokes too.  My guess is the T88 is more powerful on a flat stroke, but I could probably land a harder stroke with the BD.  It seems that you definitely have to put in the effort to get the best out of this rubber though, as it doesn't seem to have the effortless power of a eurojap rubber to me.  On tired, sloppy strokes, you'll probably get better results with the T88.  I don't remember the throw angles well enough to compare for sure, but the BD is reasonably high throw, while I remember the T88-I to be very high, but don't quote me on that.  

I did give it a try on my BH, and it played reasonably close to the XSIIE I have on the other side.  Probably a tad slower, and I can't say for sure how exactly the spin compares without an opponent.  At less than $20, it's definitely worth a try, and I'd consider it an upgrade from the T88. 

Thanks, I think you were using T88-1 with Target sponge, hence the heavy rubber Smile
The one without Target stamp on sponge is much much lighter. I've been using both for over 2 years now. Initially when they are both new, the bounce and the tack (T88-1 has some tack when new) are similar to BD, just from bouncing and slicing the ball...

I will try both side to side tomorrow. Hopefully BD is an upgrade for T88-1 Big smile

Date Posted: 10/22/2014 at 5:20am

From what Tony has written, the hardnesses aren't equivalent. The 40deg Big Dipper still feels a bit softer than a 40 degree H3N. BD's sponge is porous, and the topsheet is softer, so it's hard to compare directly to something like H3N anyway. Different feel.

If you want to compare to H3N, I'd order the hardest you can. I've got some 39 and 40 degree coming to me from eaching now.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/22/2014 at 7:11am
Has anyone tried any sponges other than 38 deg?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 10/22/2014 at 7:56am

From what Tony has written, the hardnesses aren't equivalent. The 40deg Big Dipper still feels a bit softer than a 40 degree H3N. BD's sponge is porous, and the topsheet is softer, so it's hard to compare directly to something like H3N anyway. Different feel.

If you want to compare to H3N, I'd order the hardest you can. I've got some 39 and 40 degree coming to me from eaching now.

I don't see an option on eacheng for 39 or 40 degree.

Date Posted: 10/22/2014 at 8:32am

I don't see an option on eacheng for 39 or 40 degree.

I sent him a message via the eBay store at the start of this week. At that point, he had:

Black 38,39
Red 38,39,40

-------------

Date Posted: 10/23/2014 at 1:59am
OK, got about 2 hour of play with DP.
Setup:
A. Xiom ZQ:
- Spectol 1.8 mm bh
- Red BD max 38 degree

B. Xiom ZQ:
- Spectol 1.8 mm bh
- Red Sanwei T88-1 (no target stamp sponge) max 38 degree

To summarize:

Speed: BD>T88-1
Spin: T88-1>BD
Control: BD>T88-1
Throw: T88-1 High
            BD Medium High

When I received BD, it immediately reminded me of good, affordable, Galaxy Mercury 2. The topsheet is very similar, including the initial tack of new rubber, which goes away quickly. Mercury 2, however has very fragile sponge, yet it's also porous like BD.

BD is great in almost any areas. Looping is a breeze, my loops go on the table most of the time. Better control for sure, it's got more gears than T88-1. Blocking is great, very linear. Serving long and short, no problems there. It can do pretty much everything. I would say it's an upgrade for the $4 Mercury 2.

(For those who wants a great, affordable, attacking rubber should give Mercury 2 a try, I have not find anything like that rubber for the price, and i've tried tons of cheap rubbers that people recommended over the years on the internet Big smile)

I definitely will use BD if I haven't found T88-1. T88-1 requires perfect techniques when looping. BD is more forgiving, but T88-1 is more rewarding in terms of spin and power. 
The arc and amount of spin with T88-1 is enormous when I do full swing. Usually when I do this some of the 2200+ players in my club have hard time blocking it. However, it only has 1 gear, not like BD.
When I do power loop with BD, the effect is not as devastating. My opponents can return it easier.
However, opening loops, flicking and drives are much easier with BD, I can do them all day with less error vs T88-1

Andy, give T88-1 (without target sponge) a try Big smile. It's only $9 from eacheng. Black is harder and spinnier... I've stuck with it for about 2 years now (pretty good for an EJ LOL)

Date Posted: 10/23/2014 at 2:59am
Dual, how can I tell if my T88-I is target sponge or not? I recall ordering non target based on a review I read, but ordered it off eBay so who knows what I received. I actually have a brand new sheet (and an XZQ) I may revisit based on your review. I'm sure I don't loop as hard as you though.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/23/2014 at 10:45am

Dual, how can I tell if my T88-I is target sponge or not? I recall ordering non target based on a review I read, but ordered it off eBay so who knows what I received. I actually have a brand new sheet (and an XZQ) I may revisit based on your review. I'm sure I don't loop as hard as you though.

Oh, just look at the sponge on the back..

This is target sponge:

This is the very heavy T88-1...

If yours doesn't have that stamp, it should be the regular T88-1, which is much lighter.

Eacheng sells both..

Posted By: vic#74
Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 12:03am
After all of your reviews guys decided to try this rubber. My H3 Neo prov BS got bubbled after Falco Long treatment (Angry).
So, 39, black. Viscaria. From first knocking of a ball on a rubber I knew what it will be. It got grainy (rough) topshit is only very mildly sticky - fresh rubber could lift the ball only 5 sm.
It's good for serve and short game. But everything else is a total low end chinese crap. While driving you need always do a kind of upward movement to make a ball pass the net. I hate when I need to think how to drive properly  - it should be a breathe! Feel is "DRY" - consider it opposed to speed glue feel (only feel, not speed or spin). Blocking on FH was disaster - for training process purpose I was forced to twiddle racket and block with T64 for my partner so he could make a decent number of loops. Your own loops are not bad actually but nothing outstanding, lack of feeling was annoying all the time. The only attacking thing this rubber is superb to is counterlooping close to the table off the bounce. It was very spectacular a couple of times last evening.
I treated it with Falco Long immediately after training and hope for better life. It was very reactive. In the morning I observed good dome atfer one thin layer of booster. May be  things will get better. Not a winner yet. Rubber-for-the-price. Unfortunately. Reminds me first LKT Red Diamond. H3 Neo Prov is still a class above rubber.  
I'll report back after playing with boosted rubber.       

-------------
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 5:14am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

It's good for serve and short game. But everything else is a total low end chinese crap. While driving you need always do a kind of upward movement to make a ball pass the net. I hate when I need to think how to drive properly  - it should be a breathe!

Well, it just goes to show - there is no one rubber to suit everyone.

My feelings are entirely the opposite to yours. I found BD to be much, much easier to drive with than any H3 variant I've ever tried. It doesn't feel as stable when brushing as H3, but still does well. And I didn't have to change my stroke or worry about the ball arc getting over the net. I wonder what sponge hardness you were using...

For me, BD is a far more modern and well made rubber than H3N and is anything BUT "low end". Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 6:56am
I agree that no rubber is for everyone or every style

As much as I like the BD, the 39 Deg option is actually too soft for my forehand.
The drive/top spin is decent, but I actually want it to be 3 to 5 degrees harder (the 39 feels like a 36 - T05 hardness)
I doubt the 40 Deg one will be suitable for me too

But as it stands, block with the 39 Deg BD is much easier than H3N or H3. So this is a place where I was wondering what went wrong with Vic's experience on the same rubber.

Interesting indeed

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:08am
May be it's a rubber for an all wood blades. Who knows...may be booster will do the job....

-------------
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:12am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

May be it's a rubber for an all wood blades. Who knows...may be booster will do the job....

I didn't want to try booster, I didn't want to make it softer lol
In fact, I want to wait for factory booster to wear out :p

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:24am
I dont like the feel of the «dry» sponge at all, very cheap. May be I got a fake from taobao, everything is possible.

-------------
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:59am
Got a 39 degree black from taobao and it is pretty decent for a Chinese rubber. It got kick and all. Easy to play slow and fast brush and drive. And I particularly like the glue sheet pre attached to the sponge. I just stick it on the blade and cut without the need to mess with glue and worry about any rubber expansion or shrink after removal. Also it is one easy rubber to cut clean and all ready for play in just a minute or 2. It makes a lovely click and glue effect. Not bad for the price.

BTW does all BD come with this pre attached glue sheet? I did not hear anyone mention it so I wonder if all BD is the same. I think it is a really nice touch and I love it 100%.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53150&title=feedback-turboz - My Feedback

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:09am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Got a 39 degree black from taobao and it is pretty decent for a Chinese rubber. It got kick and all. Easy to play slow and fast brush and drive. And I particularly like the glue sheet pre attached to the sponge. I just stick it on the blade and cut without the need to mess with glue and worry about any rubber expansion or shrink after removal. Also it is one easy rubber to cut clean and all ready for play in just a minute or 2. It makes a lovely click and glue effect. Not bad for the price.

BTW does all BD come with this pre attached glue sheet? I did not hear anyone mention it so I wonder if all BD is the same. I think it is a really nice touch and I love it 100%.

Yes, all of mine came with the protector sheet on the sponge. The factory tuner/glue layer is underneath.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:19am
Good to know Andy. Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:51am
Yeah, all Maxtense series (moon, sun, saturn, moon speed etc) are like that, some others like Mars II also has it. Maxtense series also comes with film protector (mars does not)

That is the factory tuner.

I still add glue to it though, as well as glue onto the blade before I glue.
I think it may not be necessary to add glue to that sticky tuner layer, but my gluing is for customers mostly, so to be safe, I do add that layer of glue.

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 11:09am
I have not use any glue on both blade and rubber but it seems to stick pretty well on the problematic Stiga NCT surface. I have used heavy glue and slight sanding before but rubber still come off several times so I am very happy with this Yinhe approach.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Definitely, we played with different rubber....glue feel....anti glue feel - that's how I would describe it...and....no anything looks like glue sheet....

-------------
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 2:04pm
Vic - I wonder what you actually got then? An untuned version? Prototype?

Did it come in the white, stiff card packaging?

-------------

Date Posted: 10/29/2014 at 8:30pm
Could it be that there are un-tuned version as well? I saw some cheaper BD on taobao lately. 25% lower than when I first bought. Or it is just more supply to drive the price down?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net