Print Page | Close Window

How to Beat a Tibhar DTects Pushblocker

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68420
Printed Date: 04/27/2024 at 9:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How to Beat a Tibhar DTects Pushblocker
Posted By: bbkon
Subject: How to Beat a Tibhar DTects Pushblocker
Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 5:37pm

any tip? I play cpen SP and i dont know a reliable way to beat a new dude  with (tibhar dtects on bh) in the club, i use to beat him 2 months  but i would like to know other tactic  to beat him.

Replies:
Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

any tip? I play cpen SP and i dont know a reliable way to beat a new dude  with (tibhar dtects on bh) in the club, i use to beat him 2 months  but i would like to know other tactic  to beat him.

Every player is different. What does he do that troubles you and why do you believe that he simply isn't a better player than you are? Describe his game and yours.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Posted By: GeneralSpecific
Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 8:56pm

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:06pm
General Specific, why do you think that video would be useful to a short pips penholder?

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:10pm
Because high serves and killing the returning ball has nothing to do with spinning the ball with inverted rubber. The same tactic applies to any offensive forehand rubber. Serve a high ball deep, smash the weak and high return.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:28pm
And how do you know that it would be useful against the particular pushblocker that bbkon is troubled by?  (Again, every player is different, even when they share similar styles).

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:40pm
Because he used the term pushblocker. The term exists because of how Olivier Mader, who even goes by the username pushblocker, popularized the term. bbkon has been a member of this forum longer than either of us. I'm sure he's well aware of Mader and probably that he is is username pushblocker. If he was able to make that connection, as evidence seems to point in that direction, than his opponent probably shares many similarities with Mader.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 9:45pm
I don't agree, but it's not worth debating.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: tommyzai
Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:24pm
I have a lot of trouble with short pips hitters . . . they don't give me any spin to work with and they are semi-resistant to my tricks. I also have trouble against players who are really good at loading the ball up with HEAVY brush loops spin . . . if I don't catch the ball just off the bounce it's impossible to chop block.

However, I'm still a u1700 level combination player, so . . . 

-------------
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]

Posted By: doraemon
Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:30pm
I think for a LP pushblocker player, his / her nightmare is when facing a short pips player.   Isn't it easier for a SP player to beat a LP player ??

-------------
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber

Posted By: DreiZ
Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:46pm
I think this video might help you...

pushblocker vs sp cpen

sp cpen does have some illegal serves here, pushblocker acknowledges them by saying "good serve" and a nod.

I very much hate playing against lp too... rather play against sp.   

-------------
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725

Date Posted: 09/21/2014 at 11:51pm
Yes, pushblockers usually need spin to do their best work, but there are push blockers with better forehands/twiddlers than others, and pushblockers with better serves than others. Some can attack with their pips and some cannot. It's okay to generalize but unless you know what is giving bbkon trouble, it's really hit or miss. It's a waste or time discussing the blocker if the real problem is service return, for example.

The general way to play pushblockers is in the video from General Specific, but if a player you could beat 2 months ago is now beating you, you may have problems admitting the person has improved if you don't point out what used to work that doesn't anymore.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:05am
Conventional pundit wisdom suggests to play with as little spin as possible and wait your chances for a loose ball. That can hold true to a degree, but not all LP players are weak vs a knuckle ball. Many are very good vs this ball as they see it a lot. Even with LP the player still has to read spin. If you give a higher ball to the FH it is getting crushed.

Those are just some things to consider. 

In my 4 years in Korea, I played a LOT, I mean a seriously LOT of Grass D-Techs OX LP BH combo players. Anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of all Korean Amature ladies O40 and above play with literally the same equipment - Schlager Carbon blade, a FH control rubber, and OX Grass D-Techs on BH.

They seemed to play very similar type games. Serve underspin, get back underspin, punch aggressively with LP to make a quick light topspin drive to win the point or get back a ball to crush on FH. Get back a dead ball, they bump it back medium speed deep  to crossover or BH, wait for easy ball and FH smash or try to fool you with the LP push to get an error or easy ball. They can FH psuh all day, they can BH bump all day, they know tactics, they know how to handle no-spin, they know how to block fast drives with OX or inverted, they know how to get errors.

Many OX LP players do these things well more or less.

What troubles an LP player could be several things you might not have thought about.

OX LP players hate spins they cannot read. So, you serve HEAVY underspin low & short, or heavy underspin deep & fast & low. They still have ot read the spin, get in position, or at least get the bat there and the blade angle right. They will make errors.

Once you establish your ability to serve heavy underspin, then your short no-spin low to FH and fast no spin to cross over make you money. they begin to mis-read it.

Another thing you can do on serve if you see OX player bumping every serve back with OX LP, then serve very fast, deep with TOPSIN. You know how much underspin you get back, it will come back long, and teeing off on a predictable long underspin ball is one of the easiest "thank-you" balls you can get in the sport.

If their FH doesn't scare you, push slow wide angle past corner to FH, they push, and you are off to the races on attack.

Another thing they do not like is a player with a good BH. The BH attack is difficult for them to see where you are going. OX LP players like to give underspin to BH wing thinking it is safe. Good for you.

OX LP players really hate deep HEAVY topspin. Very hard for them to control with OX LP. Even harder for them with inverted if it goes to FH deep or really shallow.

OX LP players seem to really love it when you go for full power. Usually, you are going to make an error reading the ball. Even if you don't often, they see where you are going and block these balls really well and make you want to triple crush the block, often off balance, out of position, and off time, usually a fail for you and a giggle for them.

Some OX LP players got really good at taking the ball early and reading the spin to make a quicker shot that robs you of time and is well placed to a weak zone or to a place that makes you want to attack without fully knowing the spin.

Such players are wise & wiley and if you get defeated by a player doing this with D-Techs, just shake their hand, shake your head, admit they are right now simply a better player and look for chances to keep playing vs this kind of player.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:16am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I think for a LP pushblocker player, his / her nightmare is when facing a short pips player.   Isn't it easier for a SP player to beat a LP player ??
yes i think so, but he blocks very low balls and the fastserve+smash is not working, i can beat hi  sometimes but its matter of loading spin until i can attack  but most of the time it wont work

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:17am
I purposely left out giving underspin to their OX and look to counter attack their light medium fast topspin drive from their OX LP punch. 

Many inverted players struggle vs this scenario and avoid it as much as they can. Many admit this is the singlemost thing along with general errors reading the balls from their OX LP that kills them.

I can understand this, but let's face it, you gotta fail some before you grow some and playing vs these OX LP players who can punch underspin aggressively is a good way to learn about them and play effectively vs them.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:19am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Yes, pushblockers usually need spin to do their best work, but there are push blockers with better forehands/twiddlers than others, and pushblockers with better serves than others. Some can attack with their pips and some cannot. It's okay to generalize but unless you know what is giving bbkon trouble, it's really hit or miss. It's a waste or time discussing the blocker if the real problem is service return, for example.

The general way to play pushblockers is in the video from General Specific, but if a player you could beat 2 months ago is now beating you, you may have problems admitting the person has improved if you don't point out what used to work that doesn't anymore.

never said the player never improved so i think there is more than a way to beat that player, i think i need to play slower, feed him a slow loop to the fh and then a slow loop to the bh, btw he covers all the table with his bh

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:29am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Conventional pundit wisdom suggests to play with as little spin as possible and wait your chances for a loose ball. That can hold true to a degree, but not all LP players are weak vs a knuckle ball. Many are very good vs this ball as they see it a lot. Even with LP the player still has to read spin. If you give a higher ball to the FH it is getting crushed.

Those are just some things to consider. 

In my 4 years in Korea, I played a LOT, I mean a seriously LOT of Grass D-Techs OX LP BH combo players. Anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of all Korean Amature ladies O40 and above play with literally the same equipment - Schlager Carbon blade, a FH control rubber, and OX Grass D-Techs on BH.

They seemed to play very similar type games. Serve underspin, get back underspin, punch aggressively with LP to make a quick light topspin drive to win the point or get back a ball to crush on FH. Get back a dead ball, they bump it back medium speed deep  to crossover or BH, wait for easy ball and FH smash or try to fool you with the LP push to get an error or easy ball. They can FH psuh all day, they can BH bump all day, they know tactics, they know how to handle no-spin, they know how to block fast drives with OX or inverted, they know how to get errors.

Many OX LP players do these things well more or less.

What troubles an LP player could be several things you might not have thought about.

OX LP players hate spins they cannot read. So, you serve HEAVY underspin low & short, or heavy underspin deep & fast & low. They still have ot read the spin, get in position, or at least get the bat there and the blade angle right. They will make errors.

Once you establish your ability to serve heavy underspin, then your short no-spin low to FH and fast no spin to cross over make you money. they begin to mis-read it.

Another thing you can do on serve if you see OX player bumping every serve back with OX LP, then serve very fast, deep with TOPSIN. You know how much underspin you get back, it will come back long, and teeing off on a predictable long underspin ball is one of the easiest "thank-you" balls you can get in the sport.

If their FH doesn't scare you, push slow wide angle past corner to FH, they push, and you are off to the races on attack.

Another thing they do not like is a player with a good BH. The BH attack is difficult for them to see where you are going. OX LP players like to give underspin to BH wing thinking it is safe. Good for you.

OX LP players really hate deep HEAVY topspin. Very hard for them to control with OX LP. Even harder for them with inverted if it goes to FH deep or really shallow.

OX LP players seem to really love it when you go for full power. Usually, you are going to make an error reading the ball. Even if you don't often, they see where you are going and block these balls really well and make you want to triple crush the block, often off balance, out of position, and off time, usually a fail for you and a giggle for them.

Some OX LP players got really good at taking the ball early and reading the spin to make a quicker shot that robs you of time and is well placed to a weak zone or to a place that makes you want to attack without fully knowing the spin.

Such players are wise & wiley and if you get defeated by a player doing this with D-Techs, just shake their hand, shake your head, admit they are right now simply a better player and look for chances to keep playing vs this kind of player.

thnks BHMAN  really enlightned by your advice most of them i think i m missing playing at the right tempo, i will try out!

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:49am

Every player is different. What does he do that troubles you and why do you believe that he simply isn't a better player than you are? Describe his game and yours.

i m traditional one sided cpen SP player , i serve and start looping block and smash/fast loop i try to return everything mixing chopblock and some flicks i rely on variation .the dude plays the same way oliver but barely attacking but he push low balls, the last time i lost twice in the last month,  havent mentioned that i play with 2 pips, if i feel consistent i play with hexer pips if i m not that consistent i play with 802, i can switch between 2 pips in the same day if i need to,sometimes difrent blades  ITOH the dude was defeated when another player gave him high short balls like 12inch high but it was a 2 smooth shakehander with a mild FH but think he was more patient

i think low throw pips should make more trouble for pushblockers .like i said i never said i m better than him but i have a better record against him,its odd but i have a good record against LP players 

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:57am

the dude plays the same way oliver but barely attacking but he push low balls, the last time i lost twice in the last month... ITOH the dude was defeated when another player gave him high short balls like 12inch high but it was a 2 smooth shakehander with a mild FH but think he was more patient
players 

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:58am

never said the player never improved so i think there is more than a way to beat that player, i think i need to play slower, feed him a slow loop to the fh and then a slow loop to the bh, btw he covers all the table with his bh

That's one possibility but like I said, you haven't said what the player does that troubles *you*.  I have played a lot of push blockers, so I know that they are very different animals.  I play them all differently based on how consistent they are against spin, pace or ball placement.

Yes, moving around the push blocker is a good idea, but it is better to do it by seeing how they set up their defences and going to where the block is weaker first.  I usually start by hitting the backhand hard with serve and third ball.  If the backhand is too stable, then I serve to the forehand short and see if they use their pips there.  If they use their pips there, then they have exposed their backhand so I go back there and see how consistent they are now their blocking position is exposed and they have to move to their block. 

If they push with short pips/inverted on the forehand, and I can loop that ball, I just serve there and play their inverted side.  I try to avoid rallying initially, but if the player is too consistent, then I just try to play more to the inverted side that I can read even if they attack there because I can manage that side.  IF they never use their inverted, then I should at least accept that I control the rally and I just have to make the right reads and shots.

If you move the ball around the table, beware of going to their strong side first (usually their backhand), because they have trained their transition to forehand usually well enough to give you a decent shot.  The only problem is whether they attack on the other side and whether you can contain it.

EDIT: you just described what he does.   If you want to beat him with high balls, go for it, but I think that usually, adding elements to your tactical game that don't improve the quality of your strategic game should be done sparingly.  I think that it is better to see how he sets up his defenses and play short to one side and long to other or vice versa or long to one side and long to other to test his defensive play.  Serving long to the pips and attacking the return is also another strategy as killing no-spin balls is part of a good repertoire.  Some push blockers know how to attack with their pips or with their forehand.  He may not be one of them, but I doubt Corey could beat Pushblocker today with the same strategy.

IF you can push with good backspin, push to the long pips and attack the return hard.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:31am

i m traditional one sided cpen SP player , i serve and start looping block and smash/fast loop i try to return everything mixing chopblock and some flicks i rely on variation .the dude plays the same way oliver but barely attacking but he push low balls, the last time i lost twice in the last month,  havent mentioned that i play with 2 pips, if i feel consistent i play with hexer pips if i m not that consistent i play with 802, i can switch between 2 pips in the same day if i need to,sometimes difrent blades  ITOH the dude was defeated when another player gave him high short balls like 12inch high but it was a 2 smooth shakehander with a mild FH but think he was more patient

i think low throw pips should make more trouble for pushblockers .like i said i never said i m better than him but i have a better record against him,its odd but i have a good record against LP players 

OK, now I see a little bit more.

If you pop it up deep to his BH corner and he doesn't attack this ball, that looks like a good chance to finish the point on the next ball to the FH corner or right back to BH corner.

Opponent likes to push and he is likely consistent and he can keep it low, prolly deep too. Prolly can change up the spin with his OX and keep it deep and low enough.

In that kind of rally, the OX player will win points being more consistent. You have to do something that will get that player off rhythm and time. You can try to wipe the spin yourself on one of your push returns and look for the next ball. You can try to loop it consistent and as deep as you safely dare. You can try to take the ball off the bounce and place it fast as you can keep it on table to uncomfortable spot to him, whatever that is you learned.

Since he doesn't attack much, you will not get points from him attacking the wrong ball, PLUS he is likely very consistent in using his LP to keep it on the table time again without giving away a sure fire chance. 

You have to use what you have to attack and win, or make the player fooled by your spin and placement changes somehow. SP can still make a pretty mean change of spin on serve and that is a good place to look, but your SP can also put the brakes on spin subtly.

Having a good understanding, confidence, and patience are important. Being able to change spin and location is good too. Ability to change pace, sometimes by taking off power on a shot where it looks like you will crush it is a good way.

If he is good at sending it deep, forget about trying to play short, you will make too many errors, Just find a way to get him to mis-read your spin (or lack of it), your pace (or lack of it) and your placement.

Do your best to land it deep, but not at the expense of your own consistency.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 5:05am

That's one possibility but like I said, you haven't said what the player does that troubles *you*.  I have played a lot of push blockers, so I know that they are very different animals.  I play them all differently based on how consistent they are against spin, pace or ball placement.

Yes, moving around the push blocker is a good idea, but it is better to do it by seeing how they set up their defences and going to where the block is weaker first.  I usually start by hitting the backhand hard with serve and third ball.  If the backhand is too stable, then I serve to the forehand short and see if they use their pips there.  If they use their pips there, then they have exposed their backhand so I go back there and see how consistent they are now their blocking position is exposed and they have to move to their block. 

If they push with short pips/inverted on the forehand, and I can loop that ball, I just serve there and play their inverted side.  I try to avoid rallying initially, but if the player is too consistent, then I just try to play more to the inverted side that I can read even if they attack there because I can manage that side.  IF they never use their inverted, then I should at least accept that I control the rally and I just have to make the right reads and shots.

If you move the ball around the table, beware of going to their strong side first (usually their backhand), because they have trained their transition to forehand usually well enough to give you a decent shot.  The only problem is whether they attack on the other side and whether you can contain it.

EDIT: you just described what he does.   If you want to beat him with high balls, go for it, but I think that usually, adding elements to your tactical game that don't improve the quality of your strategic game should be done sparingly.  I think that it is better to see how he sets up his defenses and play short to one side and long to other or vice versa or long to one side and long to other to test his defensive play.  Serving long to the pips and attacking the return is also another strategy as killing no-spin balls is part of a good repertoire.  Some push blockers know how to attack with their pips or with their forehand.  He may not be one of them, but I doubt Corey could beat Pushblocker today with the same strategy.

IF you can push with good backspin, push to the long pips and attack the return hard.

the trouble is that he gives me deep balls to the body and i cant pivot and some medium high balls he chops deep to my wide fh  and he plays with 0.7mm sponge if i get this straight i must not feed him short ball neither low balls ,is  deep and high the way to go?

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 5:23am
If he cannot attack, deep and high is fine.   

You don't have to pivot if you know what is on the ball.  All you have to do is push it to where he is exposed.  If you can put backspin on the ball, you will get a ball back that you can attack.

Is he a penholder?  Does he use any non-LP rubber?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: LUCKYLOOP
Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 6:03am

Make sure you use a new live ball because it is the Push Blockers advantage if an older dead or used ball is played !

-------------
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX

Posted By: tommyzai
Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 11:47am
From my experience I would conclude the following . . . 

Short pips and Medium pips attackers as well as players with advanced two winged looping (especially brush-looping) techniques eat up my combination play. However, Intermediate level loopers usually struggle and either hit into the net or pop the ball up and close their eyes as I smash away with my FH. There are some LP players, who are so good placement, that the opponent never feels comfortable. I played a high level combination player on Saturday. It only went three games, and during that time I was only permitted to use my FH three times! He surgically removed me from the table!

-------------
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 12:04pm

You don't have to pivot if you know what is on the ball.  All you have to do is push it to where he is exposed.  If you can put backspin on the ball, you will get a ball back that you can attack.

shakehander  with T05+0.7mm  Dtects

Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 2:00pm

shakehander  with T05+0.7mm  Dtects

Then if he returns every serve with his pips, serve into the short forehand or middle forehand, short/half long if he attacks if the ball is too long.  If his return is too low for you to attack if you serve no-spin/backspin or he gets to the backhand everytime, serve topspin.  In any case, push or attack the balls to the backhand.  If you push to the backhand with backspin, be ready to attack the return.  Unless the guy is 1900+ with this style, the key is always to attack the right ball before they set up defenses or to move them around so that the defense is not set when you attack.  The longer the rally, the more you play the battle of who is reading the ball better.  

You can also serve long into the backhand and then get ready to attack any return to the forehand.  Stay at the table when he blocks with his pips.  Continue trying to kill the return until you find the right racket angle  and stroke.  Because once you do, you don't have to change it.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: ndotson
Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:40pm
I'm a dtecs player and it looks like you've got some really good and spot-on feedback from BH-Man and NextLevel. Here's a couple of points that I would re-emphasize as these things give me problems:
- Send a majority of your serves fast and long, and with varying amounts of spin. Short balls are relatively easy for a pushblocker style player to handle and they can get an advantage with their placement. Generally, the more you can move them away from the table, the more advantages and opportunities you will have to attack.

- As you mentioned, your opponent rarely attacks. In my experience, you will find dtecs/LP players who use their pips primarily to set up their aggressive attack game, and you will find players who are more passive and want you to attack and make mistakes. If your opponent rarely attacks, it may be a worthwhile tactic to bait him to attack and see how he handles it. If his attack is weak and/or inconsistent, this may be a good way for you to score some easy points.

-------------
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 4:50pm

Ask him how to beat him.  I have LP's OX and after a match if an opponent asks how to play me, I will always help him.  In the Reno tournament I gave a player a 1/2 hour clinic on how to play me.  After it was over he asked my why I helped him.  I told him that the better he became, the better I would have to become to beat him.  By helping him improve, he would force me to improve.  In the end we would both be better.

Posted By: roundrobin
Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 7:06pm
If he returns all serves with Dtecs by chopping or bumping you should be in total control with SP.  Serve fast no-spin to his LPs and attack away.  I would not use tricky spinny serves unless he can't read spin at all.  No-spin is best.

-------------
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Posted By: bayttplayer
Date Posted: 09/22/2014 at 8:37pm
there's many way play with LP, find your own way by play more with them..
when you get used to LP, No-Spin, heavy-Spin, whatever shots will work.
Just like the video General Specific post.
Is not because of high serve works..Is because they are in different level...the other guy reads LP spin well.

-------------
Innerforce-ZLC FL + H3 + T80

Posted By: Speedplay
Date Posted: 09/24/2014 at 11:38am

If this is true, then make sure to play him deep to his bh, preferably light top spin, make him feel comfortable in that corner, then attack wide to his fh.

As a sp player, you should already have the advantage against a pushblocker, cause sp is probably the worst thing to play against when trying to play a pushblocking game.

-------------
The holy grail

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

If this is true, then make sure to play him deep to his bh, preferably light top spin, make him feel comfortable in that corner, then attack wide to his fh.

As a sp player, you should already have the advantage against a pushblocker, cause sp is probably the worst thing to play against when trying to play a pushblocking game.

this player use his BH in both corners, i dont know what should be called BH, left corner of the table?..i ve been beating him some months ago just overpowering him but he s playing lower balls now and i m afraid to attack

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 5:46pm
Get a ball you can predict, spin it heavy and medium high to his BH corner. If he doesn't mistake the block, you will get a ball to rip.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 9:08pm

Get a ball you can predict, spin it heavy and medium high to his BH corner. If he doesn't mistake the block, you will get a ball to rip.

ok i will try, ITOH you've played or maybe you know a korean cpen short pips player?  you mentioned in a posting? can you tell me about him?

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:25pm

ok i will try, ITOH you've played or maybe you know a korean cpen short pips player?  you mentioned in a posting? can you tell me about him?

Haha, I think we are talking about Jay Lee, a Korean dude who goes to Boston TTC in Medford.

He plays C-Pen with different bats. Mostly it is a combination of thin sponged LP / OX LP, but sometimes he breaks out bats with OX MP / OX LP or thin inverted / OX LP.

His USATT level is around 2100ish, but he is more capable for sure.

Ironically, Jay Lee says that players like him really like it when you give them spin. On a few levels, I think that is right. The more a player is confused by how spin reacts on an LP rubber used by a player with good timing and soft hands, the more he is confused by what comes back. Jay also adds his own level of HOT SAUCE to teh ball. (That means pace) Jay will take the ball off the bounce and hit. He blocks, but only when opponent overpressures him or hits something slow he can bloke poke at a sever angle to get you off your rocker. Jay is mostly a counterdriving attacker, but will dumb it down and block more if it troubles a player, why take chances?

Heavy spin deep to the BH corner troubles a LOT of players, even inverted players. With LP, it is downright difficult to counter attack a deep heavy spun ball. Mostly the shot is blocked. At best, the LP player can use some hand pressure magic and wipe off some spin and give back a deader ball than it looks. OX LP player will not be able to apply much time pressure from that shot, he has to omit the hot sauce on that ball to stay consistent. heavy spin is troublesome and the block can go too long, either way, it will go long and slow - no better ball for an attacking player to anticipate and attack aggressively with pace to the FH corner for a winner.

Jay makes his money in several ways. On serve, he can still generate at least light to medium spin and you still have to read it. He is good at short and halflong serves, sometimes he serves dead and long and dares you to open strong. You often mis-read his serve and play it safe on the return. Often, such a safe return is not placed very well or at least the depth is not deep near endline just to keep it in play. Jay will make a counter attack right off the bounce as fast as he can keep it on the tabel deep. Sometimes, he leaves it half depth and a little high to dare you to over-aggressive attack it without reading it right, which he gets a lot of points from errors that way.

You try to pwoer loop right away, he likes that. He can block and counter hit dead fast deep shots that do not have a ton of spin. If it is fast and spinny, he bump blocks it where you have the most problems continuing the attack. He can hang in there on bang bang fast exchanges where both players are basically slapping it fast.

Of course, if you try to make your push underspin a little heavy and he counters it, all that does is give him more ability to add hot sauce pace and still land it.

Jay has good footwork, he can step around, you wouldn't know he is 50ish and drinks beer / talks (subtle) trash. He is a riot, he will play with anyone and gives fits to the macho offensive attacking crowd. He can have trouble vs some of the unorthidox crowd, but he figures it out soon enough.

To win vs Jay, you really got to play 2200 level, it's that simple. You can try all day to do what is supposed to work - keep it low, lay off the spin, real low and short or real low and deep, maybe real heavy and deep until he misreads and gives you a little long high ball to go apeshyt on. You can try those good advice things vs him, but if your allround game and ability to read spin, anticipate, be in position, and take the right risks... if you cannot do that at his 2200 level, you can call it a night. All you will be doing is holding the tail of the monkey.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:40pm

This player uses his BH in both corners, i dont know what should be called BH, left corner of the table?..i ve been beating him some months ago just overpowering him but he s playing lower balls now and i m afraid to attack

Looking at that confession, I would say this player is prone to a medium heavy tospin serve down his FH line that he will block with his BH, the block will go long, maybe high if he misreads the spin, this is your chance for a fast loop to his now vacant BH corner or maybe even right back to where it came from as he may be bugging out in a hurry to get back to cover his BH corner. Making one of those shots is ALWAYS a fun one to do. Opponent knows he cannot get it and guessed wrong holding the wrong end to the monkey's tail.

If this opponent doesn't attack, maybe it is a good idea to give a dead ball kinda high, but deep, and also change up the spin from light to heavy, looks like you will get back a lot of long or high balls to tee off on.

problem might be that he has enough off an allround game with depth/height control to make it troublesome to do that like you want.

One way to cope with such an opponent (who doesn't attack) who keeps it low to make you wary of opening is to vary the spin on your underspin pushes. It is nice to make those go deep, but the deal is to change up the spin and make him read spin better. Unless he is way above your level, you will get some errors or at the very least some balls that are higher and more long than the opponent wants to give.

-------------

Posted By: PingPongHolic10
Date Posted: 09/25/2014 at 11:30pm

Haha, I think we are talking about Jay Lee, a Korean dude who goes to Boston TTC in Medford.

Too bad I didn't get to play against him when you guys were down here... =S  I'm sure he would have made me run laps on my side of the table just like what VictorK did to me...=)

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55790&KW=&title=fs-ft-2014-inventory-clearancecpenspro-releases" rel="nofollow - My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan

Date Posted: 09/26/2014 at 1:36am
Hey PP Holic... He (Jay) came down one day later. It is good (or maybe too bad) Jay didn't make it to the Korean club when we were there. You put me and Jay and a Korean crowd in a Korean TT club and look out, it is going to be too much fun for a human to handle. I say that despite all the fun adventure You, Carl, and I had over there.

VictorK has more than one shot in his game, a very flexible player who can do you in any number of ways. He is also 1.5 - 2 levels a better player than either of us.

Jay is that level or better, and both of us have tools to win points and games vs him, but putting them all together to win a match vs him without too many errors or chances to him is a tall order for either of us.

The HEAVY spin loop (haha a heavy BH loop is BETTER) is one mean shot that has a minor chance of winning the point and a better chance to make a point winning attack.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/26/2014 at 2:51am

Hey PP Holic... He (Jay) came down one day later. It is good (or maybe too bad) Jay didn't make it to the Korean club when we were there. You put me and Jay and a Korean crowd in a Korean TT club and look out, it is going to be too much fun for a human to handle. I say that despite all the fun adventure You, Carl, and I had over there.

VictorK has more than one shot in his game, a very flexible player who can do you in any number of ways. He is also 1.5 - 2 levels a better player than either of us.

Jay is that level or better, and both of us have tools to win points and games vs him, but putting them all together to win a match vs him without too many errors or chances to him is a tall order for either of us.

The HEAVY spin loop (haha a heavy BH loop is BETTER) is one mean shot that has a minor chance of winning the point and a better chance to make a point winning attack.

the thing i wanted to know about the korean guy its that he played with xtend po sometimes and moristo sp , i guess he had a better rank maybe we re talking about other korean guy

Posted By: assiduous
Date Posted: 09/26/2014 at 12:18pm
strategy helps, but if he is much higher rated than you, its not gona work.

My own strategy is when you get a good ball chop it very deep and with as much spin as you can to his LP side. Heavy and deep BACKspin comes back with no spin or even topspin. If you pushed it deep enough, his return will be kind of long too. And very often it will pop a little. Then I put everything I have in this ball and rip it. If it comes back, hold your horses and just make a safe push. Then look for a strong chop again, and rip whatever comes back.

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Posted By: Roger Stillabower
Date Posted: 09/26/2014 at 12:37pm
I play a guy in doubles that plays with Grass D tech ox on his b/h and he punches every thing with it. I find a very high top spin or a no spin works best, but when I serve to him I am going to try that high bounce no spin next time.

-------------
Shifter

Posted By: Pushblocker
Date Posted: 09/26/2014 at 2:11pm
The best strategy against any pushblocker is to play as little spin as possible unless you are going for the kill shot. Our control depends greatly on the amount of spin that our opponents produce. Long pips, even the grippiest ones do not produce a whole lot of spin themselves and if you don't spin into the pips, you will never get a lot of spin back. Furthermore, it is difficult to attack low or no spin balls with long pips, so any strategy that involves low spin will work well.

-------------
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand

Posted By: vvk1
Date Posted: 09/27/2014 at 7:00am
Not directly related to this particular topic, but anyone who wants to learn more about playing combination bat players should tune in to watch  http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/live/ettu-european-team-championships-2014-table-1/230121.html" rel="nofollow - - Natalya Partyka v Amelie Solja live -  now:

Date Posted: 09/27/2014 at 8:22pm
bbkon, there was a Korean dude on the Boston team 1500-1700 rating range who had SP on his BH with a shakehand bat. Prolly not this guy.

Do you mean my former club's J-Pen SP player that I used to occasionally post about, who is now Div 0 city level about 2250 or so USATT level?

He is on far side single sided J-Pen SP player, from 2010 Seungnam Div 3 natl finals.

http://youtu.be/O0wfHz3dz4Q" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/O0wfHz3dz4Q

-------------

Date Posted: 09/27/2014 at 8:58pm
One of the juniors at my club beat Jay at the teams. The other lost. We have lots of pips players in Philly. My first coach was a long pips chopper.

His teacher, Bill Sharpe, who I never met, was the O60 US champion for many years in the 90s and had a major influence on Philly table tennis. He was short pips forehand, long pips backhand. A week before he gave up the ghost to cancer, he beat Barney Reed in his emaciated, terminal state. Old-timers ask me whether I knew him when they hear I am from Philly.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 09/29/2014 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

The best strategy against any pushblocker is to play as little spin as possible unless you are going for the kill shot. Our control depends greatly on the amount of spin that our opponents produce. Long pips, even the grippiest ones do not produce a whole lot of spin themselves and if you don't spin into the pips, you will never get a lot of spin back. Furthermore, it is difficult to attack low or no spin balls with long pips, so any strategy that involves low spin will work well.

i guess if this tips applies to tibhar dtects or any LP, IF i serve fast backspin will return like top?

Posted By: ttTurkey
Date Posted: 09/29/2014 at 4:26am
+1 to the no spin balls. Also don't be scared of serving straight (i.e. no sidespin) heavy backspin to the LP, you know it is coming back as topspin. Sidespin serves are dangerous - they can come back all wobbly.

But by far the best suggestion I have if you are serious about getting better against pushblockers and/or LP players in general, and you don't have one to train against is this: buy a LP rubber and practice with it.

I remember having trouble against the nasty LP's that were legal in the early 90's. My practice partner and I bought a LP rubber and we practised with it. We used it probably an hour once a week (not enough to affect your normal game, but enough to learn how to play with it).

I find that nothing teaches you how to play against a certain rubber and what balls are effective against that rubber, than playing with it yourself.

Date Posted: 09/29/2014 at 9:32am

i guess if this tips applies to tibhar dtects or any LP, IF i serve fast backspin will return like top?

Depending on the pip, it will return dead ball or light to moderat topspin. DTecS has most reversal, so you'll probably get the most topspin from a DtecS.. It also depends on HOW the opponent blocks it. The earlier the opponent blocks the ball, the more topspin will be on it. The stroke can also make a difference. If the pips players moves up the blade during contact, he will get more topspin and if he cuts it down like chopping, it'll likely be more like a dead ball on the return.. On a sideswipe return, it could be either.

-------------

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand

Date Posted: 09/29/2014 at 11:52am

Depending on the pip, it will return dead ball or light to moderat topspin. DTecS has most reversal, so you'll probably get the most topspin from a DtecS.. It also depends on HOW the opponent blocks it. The earlier the opponent blocks the ball, the more topspin will be on it. The stroke can also make a difference. If the pips players moves up the blade during contact, he will get more topspin and if he cuts it down like chopping, it'll likely be more like a dead ball on the return.. On a sideswipe return, it could be either.

Cool tip, why  have you stopped playing with Dtects?

Date Posted: 09/29/2014 at 12:25pm

Cool tip, why  have you stopped playing with Dtects?

Tibhar changed the pip length and rubber mix on the rubber. About 3 to 4 years ago, some players in germany got disqualified for using a untreated Tibhar Grass DtecS because the pips exceeded the 2.0 mm length (OX pips may not exceed 2 mm in length including the thickness of the basesheet). Turns out that Tibhar's quality control was not too good and some of their rubbers were 2.03. to 2.11 mm thick. This caused Tibhar to reduce the size of the pips as also their rubber mix. Their pips length went from about 1.65 mm (with a .35mm base sheet) to 1.50 mm and it's not clearly below the 2.00 mm mark. However, the properties of the rubber changed significantly, especially when blocking powerful loops. On the "old" Dtecs, it was able to block short against hard hits.. With the shorter DTecS, the ball will bottom out at the base sheet and go long.
I went to Talon as Talon has very similar pips structure than DtecS but longer pips.  Talon comes in at about 1.70 mm pips length with a 0.30 mm topsheet, coming in at exactly 2.00 mm. 
What matters when blocking with long pips at a high level is on how effective the rubber can "brake" the ball when blocking powerful loops.. With Talon, I can block the hardest hits short provided that I can get my hands on the ball.. With the new Dtecs, it would always go long :(

P.S. If Tibhar would've just reduced the thickness of the basesheet instead, it would've been much better. However, life expectency of the rubber would've been decreased that way but properties would've been a lot better.. Longer pips on thinner base sheet causes the pips to be more flexible.

-------------

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 09/29/2014 at 1:36pm
When I play a LP'er OX I never serve sidespin.  I almost always serve a very low,  fast ball with as much backspin as I can deep into their pips.  I know I'm getting no spin to topspin back.  I then hit their return as hard as I can to their hitting elbow or wide to their inverted.  My intent is to end the rally with that hit.  If the ball comes back I will push it back to their pips and drive it hard again.  My feeling is that the longer rallies favor the LP'er so I try to end them as quick as I can. 

Date Posted: 09/29/2014 at 1:41pm

bbkon, there was a Korean dude on the Boston team 1500-1700 rating range who had SP on his BH with a shakehand bat. Prolly not this guy.

Do you mean my former club's J-Pen SP player that I used to occasionally post about, who is now Div 0 city level about 2250 or so USATT level?

He is on far side single sided J-Pen SP player, from 2010 Seungnam Div 3 natl finals.

http://youtu.be/O0wfHz3dz4Q" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/O0wfHz3dz4Q

i recall it was a guy that was very fast and played with yasaka xtend po pips.not sure if he s the same guy never saw him before, but you said like it was a player that could hit a lot of forehands

Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 10:50am
My former club ex-ace (he moved to another club) kept changing his FH SP rubber and prolly used Extend at one time. The J-Pen guy in the vid is prolly the dude then and now, he is easily a full level better player. He was an elite junior TT athlete in middle school, but left TT in HS started again after college.

-------------

Posted By: qpskfec
Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

When I play a LP'er OX I never serve sidespin.  I almost always serve a very low,  fast ball with as much backspin as I can deep into their pips.  I know I'm getting no spin to topspin back.  I then hit their return as hard as I can to their hitting elbow or wide to their inverted.  My intent is to end the rally with that hit.  If the ball comes back I will push it back to their pips and drive it hard again.  My feeling is that the longer rallies favor the LP'er so I try to end them as quick as I can. 

I do the opposite against pushblockers who do not attack well.

The longer the point, the more I get used to their pips, the easier it is to attack. Longer points favor me.

Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

The longer the point, the more I get used to their pips, the easier it is to attack. Longer points favor me.

It really depends on what playing level a pushblocker plays.. This is a style with very few players above 2100 level.. I personally try to have a lot of variation of pace and placement which makes it difficult for most opponents to get a playing rhythm against my style.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 1:25pm

My former club ex-ace (he moved to another club) kept changing his FH SP rubber and prolly used Extend at one time. The J-Pen guy in the vid is prolly the dude then and now, he is easily a full level better player. He was an elite junior TT athlete in middle school, but left TT in HS started again after college.
so is he using still xtend PO? have you talked to him recently?

Date Posted: 09/30/2014 at 7:30pm
I talk to him only on Kakao Talk App, a Korean texting app. When I left Korea a year ago, this dude was ALWAYS for the last two years trying out new combinations of blade and SP rubbers. He had him a different J-Pen extra and a C-Pen one too. Always changing out a different SP rubber every week or tow to tryout. Where he got these rubbers, who knows.

His default blade and rubbers were an ancient Yasaka thin carbon J-Pen blade and sponged SP from Yasaka, Extend PO. His game was centered upon controlling the ball close to the table with a powerful step around finish to anything you gave him he wanted to go off on, he could also drift back and counter landing it deep and not so spinny. Had variation on serves and a great 3rd ball finish you had to guess since he could open or close wrist suddenly right before impact.

-------------

Posted By: qpskfec
Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 11:09am

Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

It really depends on what playing level a pushblocker plays.. This is a style with very few players above 2100 level.. I personally try to have a lot of variation of pace and placement which makes it difficult for most opponents to get a playing rhythm against my style.

Agreed. I haven't played any pushblockers with your variation. Most LP people I play are not at your level. I have played roundrobin once or twice, but he attacks with the fh, so tactics would have to change.

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:22pm
Hehe QP, Yup.

The entire idea and tactic of "playing it safe" and "waiting for a good/better chance to attack" gets that world violently turned upside down and thrown out the window / smashed the window on its way going out by a willing and ready combo player with a fearsome FH attack I would say.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:25pm
bbKon, he is 임규혁 if you want to look that player up on Naver.com or Daum.com do a search for 임규혁 탁구 and check out the hit list. There are half a dozen or more vids floating around those two popular Korean Google-Like websites and a few TT specific sites.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:39pm
Here is a more recent vid of him playing at Yangju TTC money tourney giving away a 2 pt handicap vs a player very under-classified.

GyuHyuk is using his old standbay bat, his old bat had black SP on it.

I play vs Gyuhyuk in a similar way, heavy and deep, but this opponent is a lot better than me and I am forced to play div 3 at that club in that tourney.

That is how it goes over there. You want to make it deep into a tourney field, you have to either 2 levels higher skilled than your opponnets, or you have to PLAY 2 levels higher the ENTIRE tourney or you will get CTL-ALT-DEL outta the tourney quicker than Imelda Marcos hits the purchase now button for shoes.

http://cafe.daum.net/qhfmaekfxn/JYk1/148?q=%C0%D3%B1%D4%C7%F5%20%C5%B9%B1%B8&re=1" rel="nofollow - http://cafe.daum.net/qhfmaekfxn/JYk1/148?q=%C0%D3%B1%D4%C7%F5%20%C5%B9%B1%B8&re=1

-------------

Date Posted: 10/01/2014 at 9:43pm
Here is is at Hyundai TTC in Uijeungbu, my first ever Korean TT club I played a month or two there.

His opponent is a Div 3 city player one level lower div than I am, by I win vs this guy a LOT when I play at Hyundai I give him 2 pt handicap... and we throw down a few refreshments before I play as well :)

In this vid, Gyuhyuk is playing with one of his experimental bats, note his is using round bat (not square J-Pen) and his FH rubber is red SP. Gyhuk is giving him a 4 point handicap, so he is rated 3 levels below Gyuhuk, who is usually now a Div 0 city player, so they got the handicap point total right this time. That other guy he played at Yangju was in the same class as Gyuhyuk and got away with being lower classified.

Look how Gyuhyuk finishes the last 4 points. He could do that all day vs this opponent and many opponents he faces that are one level below him. Shows how under-classified the Yangju tourney guy was. I bet in 2015 if he shows up they make him play same Div 3 as GyuHyuk. If you look closely, you can see his wife Anhyang sitting in the middle of the couch looking on.

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?clipid=51953644" rel="nofollow - http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?clipid=51953644

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net