Print Page | Close Window

Xiom Blades : Vega Tour , Pro and Europe

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70031
Printed Date: 04/27/2024 at 12:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Xiom Blades : Vega Tour , Pro and Europe
Posted By: spinnyserve
Subject: Xiom Blades : Vega Tour , Pro and Europe
Date Posted: 01/24/2015 at 3:26pm
Hi All,

Any experience in these 3?   And how do they compare to the Zxi series?    And is the quality comparable to Butterfly blades?

From the blade characteristics description, i can see how they compare in theory, but just want to see if anyone has real experience, especially the Vega Tour that I am considering.

here are the characteristics:

Thanks a lot!

Replies:
Posted By: ashishsharmaait
Date Posted: 01/24/2015 at 6:56pm
The Vega Euro is every bit comparable to the ZJK SZLC.
The same big sweet spot, a bit slower and a bit flexier than the   SZLC.
It plays like an excellent Viscaria with a big sweet spot.
I have one with FL handle, 86 grams, with T05 and T64 and these rubbers suit it well for a 2 wing attacking game.

Date Posted: 01/24/2015 at 7:08pm
That is what I heard that Vega Europe is designed based on(or copying) ZJK SZLC and Vega Pro is based on MJ SZLC. So I am thinking if they are similar enough, then the xiom blades are actually very good on prics. And now they have Xiom Tour, which seems to support a lot of playing strategies....so maybe that means it has a lot of gears in playing.....?

Date Posted: 01/24/2015 at 7:09pm
Do u think it will pair well with Chinese rubbers on FH?

Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 5:47am
Vega Euro pairs well with Chinese rubbers.
I have used it with Spin art in the past.

Posted By: vvk1
Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 9:02am
I use dhs neo 3 on vega pro. Switched from viscaria. No complaints :-)

Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 9:56am
that is promising from the comments so far! Thanks!!!

I am using a Viscaria as well, how does the Vega Pro compare with Viscaria?

Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 10:12am
VP feels harder and more direct, with fewer vibrations (so there may be some truth about the larger sweetspot markerspeak). Marginally faster than Viscaria. 

Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 10:33am
You feel same spin, control?

Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 12:04pm
Yup.

Posted By: berkeleydoctor
Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 6:38pm
anyone know the best place to buy this in NA?

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 01/25/2015 at 6:50pm
Paddle Palace is one but I doubt it is best. TT11 has the best prices.

The blades themselves are great. You can't go wrong with any of them.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 3:54am
Has anyone actually got their hands on the Tour yet? Asking for a friend...

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Posted By: VictorK
Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 8:57am
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

anyone know the best place to buy this in NA?

I bought my Vega Europe blade from www.tabletennisstore.us

One thing I'd like to make you guys aware of, is that the weight of these blades vary significantly.   When I was buying mine, the weight varied between 75 gr and 85 gr without the protective sheets (the blades have clear, protective sheets that weigh 7-8 gr).

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 9:12am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Amazingly, yes.  Just not in a rush to use it - not even sure what to make of it after I used it - I may stick some Tenergy 80 or Big Dipper on it and see how it plays.  But it will be a very cursory review.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 9:28am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Amazingly, yes.  Just not in a rush to use it - not even sure what to make of it after I used it - I may stick some Tenergy 80 or Big Dipper on it and see how it plays.  But it will be a very cursory review.

Ah, this is part of the "why oh why" EJ thread from earlier. I see.

Can you tell us something about the construction then? I'm wondering how thick the hinoki outer is, for example. I mean my friend is wondering these things. You've never met him. His name is Sandrew Mith.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 9:39am
Hinoki top ply is pretty thin - there might be another Hinoki ply underneath the carbon layer before the central ply.  But that might just be my eyes deceiving me.  I bought it in straight handle so I could see myself selling the other Vega blades and keeping that one.

Tell Sandrew Mith I said hi - I had similar questions to his so I just had to get the blade to complete the collection for my sanity.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 11:44am
What the world needs now is an edge-on picture of the Tour.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:19pm

What the world needs now is an edge-on picture of the Tour.
I don't have a good camera, but I might be able to do an edge on youtube take.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 1:30pm
I'll take anything at this point. Can't find anything out on the web right now. I'll accept poetry, yodelling, interpretive dance. Whatever means you want to use to convey the feelings you feel with your feeling organs about the Tour's construction.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/26/2015 at 6:42pm
uploads/25196/hinoki.jpg" rel="nofollow - uploads/25196/hinoki.jpg

Try that Andy.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/27/2015 at 6:46am
Many thanks NL! It's definitely a 5+2 then?

-------------

Posted By: rusttt
Date Posted: 01/27/2015 at 6:52am
Originally posted by spinnyserve spinnyserve wrote:

That is what I heard that Vega Europe is designed based on(or copying) ZJK SZLC and Vega Pro is based on MJ SZLC. So I am thinking if they are similar enough, then the xiom blades are actually very good on prics. And now they have Xiom Tour, which seems to support a lot of playing strategies....so maybe that means it has a lot of gears in playing.....?

So Xiom releases the vega pro like a year ahead of the MJ SZLC and yet it's Xiom doing the copying??? If only more companies could copy Butterfly in advance and oh-by-the-way save us $250/blade. 

-------------
my http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68681&title=feedback-rusttt" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 01/27/2015 at 6:59am

Many thanks NL! It's definitely a 5+2 then?
Definitely 5+2.  I agree it appears to be Hinoki, SZLC, Hinoki, Kiri.  I haven't glued it up yet so, sorry, no playing impressions.

-------------
my http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68681&title=feedback-rusttt" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 01/27/2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

So Xiom releases the vega pro like a year ahead of the MJ SZLC and yet it's Xiom doing the copying??? If only more companies could copy Butterfly in advance and oh-by-the-way save us $250/blade. 

Thanks for correction! You are right!  I went back to read the comment from that blog post about these blades again and it only said they have similar composition but didn't mention about one being designed based on the other... i mixed it up.... sorry for the incorrect info.  :)

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:25pm
NextLevel, TTping85, or anyone else that has played with both the Europe and Pro:  Assuming Pro creates more spin than Europe, is it by a wide margin, noticeable , or negligible?  and is the Europe more  direct (sharper) than the Pro?

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:32pm

The MJ-SZLC is not like the Vega Pro at all. It is a very different blade.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 01/27/2015 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Do you mind to elaborate a little on the major differences you observe?  Thanks!

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:00am

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Do you mind to elaborate a little on the major differences you observe?  Thanks!

I used to own the XVP and now play with the MJ-SZLC. I've tried a lot of other blades (most recently a very good Stiga Intensity VPS V piece and also my best ALC blade yet (a ZJK-ALC) but keep coming back to the MJ-SZLC).

The 1st MJ-SZLC I bought, I sold after trying it out for 5-10 minutes (way too stiff & fast for me. The buyer, a 2500 level player / forum member found it too stiff as well). Then, I got a 2nd one what was only 86g (& 5.75mm thick) (you can't get a lighter MJ-SZLC though you could find a light XVP if that is your preference). This ticked the boxes. I found a good backup - slighly heavier but a bit thinner (89g, 5.58mm thick).

The XVP has a slightly larger blade circumference and is more head-heavy (narrower handle - I just went with the regular FL in both though I think that there's a Wide FL option available for the XVP). The MJ-SZLC is very well balanced.

Obviously, power is a big difference with the MJ-SZLC being much more powerful. This is true especially away from the table from where I'd classify the MJ-SZLC as OFF+ and the XVP as OFF. Close to the table, the MJ-SZLC isn't much of a rocket (I found my Koto-based TB-ZLF faster close to the table).

I've tried a few OFF+ blades earlier (particularly the Qabod, the TB-ZLC and the ZJK-ZLC). With those blades, one sometimes overshoots the table. However, the advantage of the MJ-SZLC over these (and the reason why one can play with this OFF+ blade) is that it's ball bite is excellent. The Vega Pro is easier to spin with. However, you get more spin with the MJ-SZLC (beating the MJ and Viscaria, IMHO). This makes it very easy to turn incoming speed into spin if one so wants.

The MJ-SZLC is slightly lower throw, lower dwell & is stiffer & more solid feeling than the Vega Pro. It takes slightly longer to familiarize oneself with - requiring a harder hit into the ball (otherwise, you may find ball go into the net - kind of surprising given it's power level). The stiffness takes a while getting used to. Once I got used to it, I surprisingly found the blade's control to be even better than that of a BTY ALC blade.

Lastly, rubber compatibility: I think that the MJ-SZLC works best with 45 deg and lower hardness rubbers where-as the XVP works best with 42.5 deg and higher harder rubbers.

However, from a value perspective, unless money is not a factor, the XVP is better value to most.

Hope this helps.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 01/28/2015 at 11:14am
slevin!  Very much appreciated for your detailed description!!!  Very useful information!

Posted By: tiehwen
Date Posted: 01/28/2015 at 3:06pm

slevin!  Very much appreciated for your detailed description!!!  Very useful information!
what u wait'n for..Spinny? Go get your Fix..& you know who's watching over you, right?

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17089" rel="nofollow - I love & am inspired by Malala Yousufzai's "True & Tough" LIFE STORY

Date Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:27am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

NextLevel, TTping85, or anyone else that has played with both the Europe and Pro:  Assuming Pro creates more spin than Europe, is it by a wide margin, noticeable , or negligible?  and is the Europe more  direct (sharper) than the Pro?

Euro is sharper than the Pro. it is also a bit slower than pro. That may have been because of the weight (pro: 91 gr, Euro 85 gr)
Both blades can create good spin but in my opinion, Euro creates more spin at the table than Pro.
Around 2-3 feet from the table Pro is more powerful than Euro and creates more spin on full shots.

Euro has better touch than Pro. The feel of Euro is close to Viscaria.
The Pro seems a more stable blade for a FH attacker (due to its weight, head-heaviness and speed) while the Euro suits a more balanced game (BH opening and aggressive blocking).

Thanks

Date Posted: 01/29/2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

Euro is sharper than the Pro. it is also a bit slower than pro. That may have been because of the weight (pro: 91 gr, Euro 85 gr)
Both blades can create good spin but in my opinion, Euro creates more spin at the table than Pro.
Around 2-3 feet from the table Pro is more powerful than Euro and creates more spin on full shots.

Euro has better touch than Pro. The feel of Euro is close to Viscaria.
The Pro seems a more stable blade for a FH attacker (due to its weight, head-heaviness and speed) while the Euro suits a more balanced game (BH opening and aggressive blocking).

Thanks

Thank you Ashish, as I would imagine it would be except for slower than the Pro - but as you said, it is probably due to weight difference.

Posted By: VictorK
Date Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:25pm

Thank you Ashish, as I would imagine it would be except for slower than the Pro - but as you said, it is probably due to weight difference.

Please be aware that Pro may not necessarily be heavier than Europe. When I was buying my blade I've seen the weights of both versions (Pro and Europe) vary between 75 and 85 gr ... and the heaviest of the four blades I weighted was Europe, at 85 grams.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/29/2015 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Please be aware that Pro may not necessarily be heavier than Europe. When I was buying my blade I've seen the weights of both versions (Pro and Europe) vary between 75 and 85 gr ... and the heaviest of the four blades I weighted was Europe, at 85 grams.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I am aware there is a big variation in weight with Xiom (as well as others) blades. 

Date Posted: 01/30/2015 at 6:27pm
By the way, if someone can share your experience on differences between Vega Pro blade and the Hayabusa Zxi, that would be great!  Thanks!

Date Posted: 01/31/2015 at 3:25am
Vega Pro vs Zxi.
Vega Pro (limba) is the wrong blade to compare with Zxi. Vega Euro is a better comparison (koto).

Stiffness: Zxi > Euro = Pro
Sharpness of contact: Zxi > Euro > Pro
Hardness: Zxi > Euro > Pro
Touch Shots: Euro > Pro > Zxi
Vibration: Euro > Pro > Zxi
Rubber Hardness Match: Zxi (45 or more) > Pro, Euro (42 or more)
Balance of FL: Euro > Pro > Zxi (Very Head Heavy)
Distance of play: Zxi > Pro > Euro
Handle size: Zxi > Euro, Pro

Having owned all of these I can say that Euro is the most balanced blade. Pro is not that bad and Zxi is not that good.
Zxi is too fas, direct and stiff and requires very fast feet and excellent technique. Pro is good everywhere except at the table, where it feels a bit non linear. Euro is very linearbut a little weak far off the table.
It plays nearly as good as a Zjk SZLC at a third of the price.

Date Posted: 01/31/2015 at 11:26am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

Vega Pro vs Zxi.
Vega Pro (limba) is the wrong blade to compare with Zxi. Vega Euro is a better comparison (koto).

Stiffness: Zxi > Euro = Pro
Sharpness of contact: Zxi > Euro > Pro
Hardness: Zxi > Euro > Pro
Touch Shots: Euro > Pro > Zxi
Vibration: Euro > Pro > Zxi
Rubber Hardness Match: Zxi (45 or more) > Pro, Euro (42 or more)
Balance of FL: Euro > Pro > Zxi (Very Head Heavy)
Distance of play: Zxi > Pro > Euro
Handle size: Zxi > Euro, Pro

Having owned all of these I can say that Euro is the most balanced blade. Pro is not that bad and Zxi is not that good.
Zxi is too fas, direct and stiff and requires very fast feet and excellent technique. Pro is good everywhere except at the table, where it feels a bit non linear. Euro is very linearbut a little weak far off the table.
It plays nearly as good as a Zjk SZLC at a third of the price.
Totally agree!

-------------

Date Posted: 01/31/2015 at 11:28am
Thanks so much for your clear explanation and sharing of your experience!!

Posted By: Gustau
Date Posted: 02/08/2016 at 9:17am
Can anybody compare the Vega Euro to the Zetro Quad? (and, for that matter, could anybody compare either of them to the Adidas Fibertec Power?)

Posted By: incarnation
Date Posted: 11/26/2016 at 8:50am
any updates on VEGA TOUR compared against vega pro/europe and others? thanks

Posted By: incarnation
Date Posted: 12/21/2016 at 10:11am
compared with Vega Tour which one has more vibrations? Tour or pro or euro? thx

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net