Print Page | Close Window

DHS Plastic Ball

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70818
Printed Date: 04/28/2024 at 9:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: DHS Plastic Ball
Posted By: AcudaDave
Subject: DHS Plastic Ball
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 4:44pm

Another player (2000+ chopper) I play with on a regular basis just bought a new DHS plastic ball and wanted to give it a try for our match. I've hit with the Joola plastic balls, but I've not played a match with any of the plastic balls.

So we warmed up a bit and played a match and all I gotta say is it was terrible! It felt like we were playing with a 1-star practice ball. It was much slower and spin was quite a bit less. It was so funny how he would do his normal chops and I would just hit through them like they were nothing. Normally when we play with the celluloid balls I have to respect his underspin returns and loop them or push them back. The first ball he chopped back I decided to see if I could open my angle a little and hit it and it had so much less spin that I was able to hit it like it was nothing.  Needless to say he didn't like it at all as I won the last game at 2! I've heard a lot of you saying that you just gotta adjust, but damn, it felt like I was playing with a recreational ball. I hope the other plastic balls play better than the DHS ball cause it was definitely taking a big step back in our game. I just can't imagine anyone in charge of our organization allowing this to go on. Please tell me there are better plastic balls to play with.

-------------
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH

Replies:
Posted By: Mickael
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:22pm
I have tried everything, Xushaofa is the best , not the best it is like when Tenergy was invented it is far better than anything before. No inconsistency, high bounce , like you were playing table tennis but always worried about inconsistency. No more , it is a real joy. P.s. Stag karlsson is the same and I think all seamless balls are from the same factory. Search no more.

-------------
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH

Posted By: lineup32
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Another player (2000+ chopper) I play with on a regular basis just bought a new DHS plastic ball and wanted to give it a try for our match. I've hit with the Joola plastic balls, but I've not played a match with any of the plastic balls.

So we warmed up a bit and played a match and all I gotta say is it was terrible! It felt like we were playing with a 1-star practice ball. It was much slower and spin was quite a bit less. It was so funny how he would do his normal chops and I would just hit through them like they were nothing. Normally when we play with the celluloid balls I have to respect his underspin returns and loop them or push them back. The first ball he chopped back I decided to see if I could open my angle a little and hit it and it had so much less spin that I was able to hit it like it was nothing.  Needless to say he didn't like it at all as I won the last game at 2! I've heard a lot of you saying that you just gotta adjust, but damn, it felt like I was playing with a recreational ball. I hope the other plastic balls play better than the DHS ball cause it was definitely taking a big step back in our game. I just can't imagine anyone in charge of our organization allowing this to go on. Please tell me there are better plastic balls to play with.

slow lack of spin is what U are suppose to get use to!!OuchOuch

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:47pm
PLASTIC FAVOURS THE BRAVE ONE.

All the profies do employ DHS40+ balls now and again. Those advanced players still play the game very well.
Don't show up your dislike for plastic in public occasions, or you will be told "unworthy player".
Good players will always get to the plastic very smoothly. Very smoothly.

Posted By: AgentHEX
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 5:57pm

The XSF will bounce higher but spin and speed are basically the same. The general differences to cell are in the ~couple percentiles (as implied by surface area diffs for aero, etc) but may seem more at first when swinging out of habit.

For def the slower balls also take some speed out of loopdrives which makes them easier to get to, even if the spin is less. In aggregate YMMV, but depending on personality many consider disadvantages to themselves first.

-------------
Science; upsetting the indignant since http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair#Inquisition_and_first_judgement.2C_1616" rel="nofollow - 1616 .

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:20pm
More than a dozen merchants of America now trading plastic from Mr. Fr Yan Shanghai Minkow. We so pleased to cooperate with this Factory, too

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:23pm
Dave, I feel your pain.

I've had a box of DHS 40+ in my bag for months, and I've been avoiding sinking much time into them until I really need to. My first experiences with them were awful, and match up with your findings. I now have 3 weeks to prepare for a seamed 40+ tournament so I have to spend some quality time with them. Had a 2 hour session tonight and they remain a terrible product. They are an early batch, so I can only hope that recent batches have improved, but it's very disheartening. I have some Stiga 40+ on the way, so fingers crossed that they play better.

Sometimes, I have a brief moment of relief when using them and a reasonable rally appears from the rubble. But then a series of shockingly low, skiddy bounces occurs and it becomes a total distraction from the game. Incredibly unenjoyable. And this isn't about habitual swinging - I'm talking about the ball sharply dropping below my start position during a totally innocuous rally. I haven't even started my swing.

I also had a brand new ball break within 15 minutes of use - huge crack at 90 degrees to the seam.

There are some elements to these balls which are obviously just things which require adjustment. The feel on impact is dull and slightly disconnected, for example, especially at low speeds. The reduced spin and grip has lots of implications. But the poor durability and sometimes surprisingly skiddy events are just garbage.

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:25pm
> And this isn't about habitual swinging - I'm talking about the ball sharply dropping below my start position during a totally innocuous rally. I haven't even started my swing.

Can you reliably reproduce this or does it seem random?

-------------
Science; upsetting the indignant since http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair#Inquisition_and_first_judgement.2C_1616" rel="nofollow - 1616 .

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:36pm
Andy, the balls don't bounce per se. You need to get lower, take the ball later and attack earlier than your opponent so that the lower bounce affects him first. Get used to having to hit lower or on the side of the ball. Do not mix with cell or seamless during practice. Unless you practice a lot, push over the table. Don't banana flock without lots of practice. You will net a lot of balls because the ball does not bounce.

As always, the more you use the balls, the better it gets. But they will break often and violate your expectations on bounce at least twice a match because they deform.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:46pm
At this point, it feels pretty random. There always seem to be similar characteristics to the event though. It tends to be when a harder drive is coming in long. Everything else seems OK to me - pushes, chops, loops (this is me on the receiving end). I happened to be playing against a hard hitter tonight and I was getting 2-3 each game skid through to me.

Now, that said - this was the match I had the breakage in. Perhaps it's when the ball is starting to go. It actually does have the hallmarks of how a cracked cell ball feels, but without the sound giving the issue away (or anything appearing on the ball until it's totally gone).

Anyway, I only have 3 of the 6 balls left now. Marvellous.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 8:00pm
NL - I actually don't mind the 40+ in general. There's lots to like! I find the seamed balls to need more effort than the seamless due to the lower overall bounce, but it's definitely not a total disaster. But the dhs ones I've had are awful. It's like playing with a live grenade, and you have to hope that nothing weird happens on your side of the table.

For some balance - another club member has been using the Cornilleau seamed 40+ for a few months now. He's a mad slappy kind of player - always smacking the ball at totally inappropriate moments. He had his first breakage 2 weeks ago, which must be at least 20 hours of use, which is good IMO. In the odd match I've had with him, nothing strange ever happened with the ball - just the usual reduction in speed and spin. Now, I've never drilled with him or spent hours with that ball in isolation like I did with the dhs tonight, but I've enjoyed that experience.

Could it just be bad QC? Or is that my wishful thinking?

-------------

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 8:12pm
You can in time adjust to low bounce but not the skids. You just have to live with that. Seamless balls dont do that so its not the size of the balls thst causes skids and I still have no way to predict them.   Dont underestimate how long you need to train with DHS 40+ to feel confident. If you dont feel confident you cant play relaxed. I wish everyone used seamless but for now we have to be ready to use these. Dont forget serve practice. That is not easy immediately.

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 03/23/2015 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

At this point, it feels pretty random. There always seem to be similar characteristics to the event though. It tends to be when a harder drive is coming in long. Everything else seems OK to me - pushes, chops, loops (this is me on the receiving end). I happened to be playing against a hard hitter tonight and I was getting 2-3 each game skid through to me.

Now, that said - this was the match I had the breakage in. Perhaps it's when the ball is starting to go. It actually does have the hallmarks of how a cracked cell ball feels, but without the sound giving the issue away (or anything appearing on the ball until it's totally gone).

Anyway, I only have 3 of the 6 balls left now. Marvellous.

I believe that we are going to find that the plastic in DHS balls deforms more on high impacts and that this is making the effect of the seam more pronounced when the ball lands on and or spins onto the seam.    I have no proof and only very sketchy evidence.  But given that the seam is a known irregularity, that I've observed celluloid training balls (have seams) exhibit bad bounces, and that the lower bounce of DHS balls might imply more deformation of the plastic, this seems like a good place to start looking.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Posted By: stevenjlyang
Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 3:18am
I ever just played DHS plastic ball once, i gave it up, i will never use it. Now i'm playing with Yinhe and XSF seamless ball, they are better, they are close to the c-ball.

-------------
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 5:28am
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I believe that we are going to find that the plastic in DHS balls deforms more on high impacts and that this is making the effect of the seam more pronounced when the ball lands on and or spins onto the seam.    I have no proof and only very sketchy evidence.  

It sounds plausible.  It's going to be very tricky to prove anything without access to some pretty funky testing equipment though.  It only seemed to happen to me on harder incoming shots, but I've only got a few hours of solid work with this ball so far.

Originally posted by stevenjlyang stevenjlyang wrote:

I ever just played DHS plastic ball once, i gave it up, i will never use it. Now i'm playing with Yinhe and XSF seamless ball, they are better, they are close to the c-ball.

I've got a pack of Yinhe but I've only had a brief test in recent weeks.  The bounce seems more reliable and is higher overall.  The seamless come with their own challenges for me - the biggest one being serving.  I find it quite easy to keep the DHS 40+ really tight on service, whereas the Yinhe sit up a lot more due to the bounce.  Factoring in the reduction in spin, it becomes hard to stop the opponent attacking the serve.  Anything over or near net height is vulnerable now.

But these are just qualities to adjust to.  Breakages and unpredictable skids are a different thing altogether.

-------------

Posted By: stevenjlyang
Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 6:44am

I believe that we are going to find that the plastic in DHS balls deforms more on high impacts and that this is making the effect of the seam more pronounced when the ball lands on and or spins onto the seam.    I have no proof and only very sketchy evidence.  But given that the seam is a known irregularity, that I've observed celluloid training balls (have seams) exhibit bad bounces, and that the lower bounce of DHS balls might imply more deformation of the plastic, this seems like a good place to start looking.
[/QUOTE]
agree with you. the seam of the plastic ball make more effect than the celluloid ball, i think different material properties would enlarge the effect, so the seamless ball is the better choice for new material. but there are more business factors to lead the products, although the products is not the best, not suitable for more people.

-------------
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 7:04am

NL - I actually don't mind the 40+ in general. There's lots to like! I find the seamed balls to need more effort than the seamless due to the lower overall bounce, but it's definitely not a total disaster. But the dhs ones I've had are awful. It's like playing with a live grenade, and you have to hope that nothing weird happens on your side of the table.

For some balance - another club member has been using the Cornilleau seamed 40+ for a few months now. He's a mad slappy kind of player - always smacking the ball at totally inappropriate moments. He had his first breakage 2 weeks ago, which must be at least 20 hours of use, which is good IMO. In the odd match I've had with him, nothing strange ever happened with the ball - just the usual reduction in speed and spin. Now, I've never drilled with him or spent hours with that ball in isolation like I did with the dhs tonight, but I've enjoyed that experience.

Could it just be bad QC? Or is that my wishful thinking?

Hey, they should find that ball and reproduce it. If only I was that lucky - all my 40+ Chinese balls are gone with matches, multiball and serving practice. The state tournament is coming up so I need a new set.

I do hear that the newer balls have better quality control. So it ultimately comes down to how much better its getting. The differences between the balls is pretty significant and the longer this lasts, the more likely it is that the seamless ball will go nowhere.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 10:26am
thanks everyone for their replies. Glad you agree with me Andy. At this point I just won't play any tournaments that use DHS plastic balls, and I might just skip any tournaments in my local area that plan on using the Joola or Butterfly as that's what most of them will be using. 

The main point is that none of us should have to get used to the inconsistency in these poor quality balls. It really did feel similar to playing with a 1-star practice ball, and that's just not good for our sport. I may order some seamless balls and give them a try.  What does the new president plan on doing about these plastic balls? Has he come out and said anything yet?

-------------

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 10:40am
If I didn't have to use the Stiga 40+ at a tournament in a few weeks' time then I'd stay as far away from seamed plastic as possible.  Of course, my next league season will be crazy with each team choosing whichever balls they want to, so each week could see seamed, seamless or cell.

Definitely worth giving the seamless a try.  You'll still feel the bigger size and reduced spin, but they do have a more consistent bounce and appear to be more durable on average.

What does the new president plan on doing about these plastic balls? Has he come out and said anything yet?

I think he said "I'll just go ask Adham what I should say..." and no one has seen him since.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 12:02pm

thanks everyone for their replies. Glad you agree with me Andy. At this point I just won't play any tournaments that use DHS plastic balls, and I might just skip any tournaments in my local area that plan on using the Joola or Butterfly as that's what most of them will be using. 

They have the same problems, the one optimistic thing being that I hit with some Butterfly 40+ balls made in Feb 2015 and they were not all round but had what seemed like a better bounce once we found a round one.  Most people think those are made by DF.  As you know, I hate these seemed balls, but it may be that they are starting to make some progress towards making them slightly less crappy. 

We will see.

Meanwhile, until that trend is confirmed, we should boycott these crappy things.  Use seamless or NP40+ if you can find one.

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 1:46pm
Which seamless balls should I buy, and where can I buy them here in the US? I guess I'll give them a try...but as for playing with the DHS plastic seamed balls as Jack Nicholson said in one of his movies "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes".

-------------

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 3:48pm
I have tried XSF, Nexy, Yine.  I for one couldn't tell a difference between them by playing with them.  All were very good. Still slower and less spin, but you don't have that weird skidding inconsistency problem, they bounce noticeably higher, and they are a lot more durable.  So it is a relatively easy adjustment.

You can buy Nexy from BHman and Bogeyman at Nexy USA.

Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 3:58pm
Colestt.com has Yinhe variant - and I think at 7$ for 6 it's the best deal right now. 

-------------
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 10:51pm
The bottom line is these plastic balls are terrible to play with and it's really disappointing that the ittf would do this. I may just quit playing tournaments all together unless they make a dramatic improvement. Maybe we should just for a different organization to replace the ittf.

-------------

Posted By: Hans Regenkurt
Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 11:31pm
According to the most recent expreiences that the people around me have with the seamless balls, they do last longer than most seamed ones. I spoke with an umpire whose team plays in the top league with XSF and they have had periods when they broke three or four in a team match. At other times they managed to play all of the matches without breaking one. Their general observation is that most seamed balls crack at a crazy rate.

I have a friend who occasionally practices with junior kids and they use seamed balls exclusively. Last time he was down they used Joola and Donic exclusively. Everybody there was of the opinion that the Donic ones are not good and when they started playing practice matches, all of the kids wanted to play with Joola. My friend was completely happy with the way those Joola balls played and is sure that they have made a lot of improvements to them. As I said in one of the other topics on the balls, we have some DHS seamed from the very first series and they play horribly. My friend even said he likes the Joola seamed better than celluloid.

Posted By: tabletennis11
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 2:23pm
Unfortunately breakages are common among all the brands of plastic balls, hopefully they are working hard on increasing the quality across all of the plastic ball production companies. It is difficult to adjust to the new balls but once you have put in a reasonable number of hours you will find some comfort in being able to play with them, even though we all dream of playing with the celluloid ball again.

We reviewed the DHS ball and also use it for all of our equipment reviews and our equipment expert has a good handle on playing with it now. As we say, it does take some hours to adjust to the plastic ball and some have different properties to others.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QlKrAbsMQ?utm_source=mytt-signature" rel="nofollow - Click Here to see TableTennis11 CEO Sergei Petrov's Introductory Interview - Tabletennis11.com

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Unfortunately breakages are common among all the brands of plastic balls, hopefully they are working hard on increasing the quality across all of the plastic ball production companies. It is difficult to adjust to the new balls but once you have put in a reasonable number of hours you will find some comfort in being able to play with them, even though we all dream of playing with the celluloid ball again.

We reviewed the DHS ball and also use it for all of our equipment reviews and our equipment expert has a good handle on playing with it now. As we say, it does take some hours to adjust to the plastic ball and some have different properties to others.

This is true if one considers the seamed 40+ balls.  However, breakages among seamless are equivalent and probably better than celluloid and vastly superior to all seamed 40+ balls.  Breakage among DHS balls and the brands made by them is very high.  Similarly, adjustment to a seamless ball, while required, is much easier than DHS.  Not just my experience, it is what now is revealed by the vast majority of mytt members who have commented on it. 

It is good to see you are selling XSF now among the various others.

Posted By: Ray
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

To adjust to the new plastic balls, you have put in a reasonable number of hours and balls.

And as long as you're pointing out:

Quote NB! Research and development into plastic ball manufacturing is still taking place and as such we cannot assure the total durability of this product, this responsibility lies with the manufacturer.

I'll continue to enjoy all the advantages of the "old" good celluloid balls: better quality (roundness and durability) and less expensive.

BTW, those TSP Training balls were so nice for the price. Will you stock them again?Embarrassed

-------------
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
https://fb.me/spinnier" rel="nofollow - fb.me/spinnier

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:12pm
This whole situation is akin to say switching the morning coffee at work to bit different brand/blend. If it just happens some people might notice, but sometimes there's an announcement/email-to-all and riots ensue.

Those who've witnessed & considered enough of these situations in life come to realize the reaction generally has almost nothing to do with the quantities of the change and everything with the circumstances and people involved.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:26pm
So, Agent Troll, how many seamed plastic balls have you broken again?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

This whole situation is akin to say switching the morning coffee at work to bit different brand/blend. If it just happens some people might notice, but sometimes there's an announcement/email-to-all and riots ensue.

Those who've witnessed & considered enough of these situations in life come to realize the reaction generally has almost nothing to do with the quantities of the change and everything with the circumstances and people involved.

I have witnessed and considered enough of your input on the forum to realise that your reaction generally has almost nothing to do with the issues at hand and everything with your narrative of "AgentHEX knows best, you're all liars and/or idiots".

Well, of course that's something of an exaggeration. No doubt your disparaging approach to topics is sometimes close to the mark (although I find your lack of faith in your fellow man disturbing), but regarding the 40+ seamed ball you are wrong. Simply dead wrong. With this one there's hardly any wriggle room either. The frequency of breakage and inexplicable bounces are clear as day to anyone who spends a reasonable length of time with the seamed 40+. They must improve or make way for a better technology.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:57pm
If it's as frickin' obvious as some people claim then it should be frickin' obvious watching the best guys with smallest marginal tolerances play. That german open (and many plastic ball tourneys before it) thread is several hundred comments; how many pick out any terribly discernible diff in play? I didn't read it but I'm going to guess ~0% same as those before it. Omniscient, no?

Sometimes the issue at hand isn't what's in the popular front page news. Hopefully those paying attention should've figured that out by now.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:15pm

I have witnessed and considered enough of your input on the forum to realise that your reaction generally has almost nothing to do with the issues at hand and everything with your narrative of "AgentHEX knows best, you're all liars and/or idiots".

Well, of course that's something of an exaggeration. No doubt your disparaging approach to topics is sometimes close to the mark (although I find your lack of faith in your fellow man disturbing), but regarding the 40+ seamed ball you are wrong. Simply dead wrong. With this one there's hardly any wriggle room either. The frequency of breakage and inexplicable bounces are clear as day to anyone who spends a reasonable length of time with the seamed 40+. They must improve or make way for a better technology.

Yes.  I'm anything but a ball snob.  I sought out inexpensive alternatives to the quite good Nittaku Premium celluloid ball because spending over $2/ball seemed a bit much to me.  

And I am very much aware of how people can be biased by their preconceptions of things.  There are great examples of carefully controlled double-blind or ABX comparison tests that have showthat differences in wine, CD player and audio amplifier sound quality either become much harder to detect, or disappear entirely.

So I agree that preconceived notions can be at work with the perception of the Chinese 40+ seamed balls.  But they aren't the core of the issue.  At most, such notions are working to amplify the importance of the real issues. Two of those issues are objectively demonstrable - specifically, lower bounce (compounding issues that all 40+ balls have marginally slower flight and slower spin) and higher breakage. The third issue - sometimes erratic bounces - is harder to demonstrate due to its random nature.  But as I learned after spending years as a test desk technician at the phone company - just because random failures can be difficult to duplicate or track down doesn't mean that they don't exist. 

I haven't played with Chinese seamed balls enough to have an opinion on the bad bounces, but I've seen enough reports from enough different people - some of the reports quite independent from this forum - that I would not dismiss the possibility.  If I had to bet, I'd bet that there is something to it.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Apparently general bounce differences in the few percent range (and ~<1% relative to swing height off the ground) means "don't bounce", etc when it's opportunistic to exaggerate the gap in the same direction as socialite opinion:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70818&PID=863807&title=dhs-plastic-ball#863807" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70818&PID=863807&title=dhs-plastic-ball#863807

The place I play keeps the ball with the table for continuity and I don't sit there to track  how long it lasts but certainly longer than a few matches. Maybe you do and have something of substance to share.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:31pm
The German Open is a bad example for your case, and here's why.

At the elite level, I presume some effort still goes into selecting the best balls possible, instead of just picking random boxes from a retailer (I've seen this done behind the scenes at past World Cups with cell, and I can only imagine that it's done with more enthusiasm now). Despite this, there were numerous breakages, including a comical (but truly embarrassing to the sport) sequence of events in the Men's Doubles Final where a decent replacement ball couldn't be found for a while. Let's get a new ball out of the packet! Oh, it still plays terribly! Let's get another. Oh how the audience laughed! TT is now a comedy.

You should read that thread before guessing the contents of it.

Picking any elite event as an example for whatever your case is isn't ideal for many reasons. They get the very best of the balls on the market today, and don't pay for them when they break. If they feel the ball is losing consistency, they just ask for a fresh one, no cost to them. You can see examples of this in every tournament - more than with the cell ball IMO. They don't have the same pressures as amateurs. They have different pressures though - commercial pressures which could prevent them from speaking out against sponsors. Despite that, several pros have gone on record to state that the quality of the current balls should improve.

But I don't care about a "discernable difference in play" at the elite level. I think that there IS one, but it doesn't bother me, and it's a different subject. I care about the durability and consistency of the balls I, as a regular member of the public, can buy at the moment. And they are poor. Regardless of all of this, the plastic tournaments at all levels I have seen so far have shown a vastly increased rate of breakage for seamed 40+ balls. So what is your point?

In this, you are an outlier. An odd opinion at the fringes of reality, stretching the boundaries of belief to further your personal crusade.

(And spare me your usual passive/aggressive closing sentence. You show zero respect to anyone you interact with when you sign off with stuff like "Hopefully those paying attention should've figured that out by now". If you genuinely wanted to discuss or debate, you wouldn't finish most of your posts with sweeping "anyone who doesn't agree with me is obviously not paying attention" statements. This is where much of your troll rep comes from. Throwing this in does nothing to make your point, and is only designed to aggravate and inflame situations and people. Your historical contribution to this forum would be vastly improved by a simple script which removed the last sentence from all of your posts.)

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:35pm

The place I play keeps the ball with the table for continuity and I don't sit there to trackĀ  how long it lasts but certainly longer than a few matches. Maybe you do and have something of substance to share.

People have been sharing their increased breakage rate experiences for months. You just refuse to give personal experience any significant value. Are you saying that people are lying about the failure rate?

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:38pm

Apparently general bounce differences in the few percent range (and ~<1% relative to swing height off the ground) means "don't bounce", etc when it's opportunistic to exaggerate the gap in the same direction as socialite opinion:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70818&PID=863807&title=dhs-plastic-ball#863807" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70818&PID=863807&title=dhs-plastic-ball#863807

The place I play keeps the ball with the table for continuity and I don't sit there to track  how long it lasts but certainly longer than a few matches. Maybe you do and have something of substance to share.

The ignorance displayed by the answer speaks for itself.  Thank you.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:38pm

People have been sharing their increased breakage rate experiences for months. You just refuse to give personal experience any significant value. Are you saying that people are lying about the failure rate?

Just check with the folks who played in or ran the North American Teams. Contrast that to the U.S. Nationals or any other previous tournament played with celluloid balls.

The past breakage issue really isn't debatable.  The only real question is if newly manufactured balls are doing better.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: roundrobin
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:42pm

If it's as frickin' obvious as some people claim then it should be frickin' obvious watching the best guys with smallest marginal tolerances play. That german open (and many plastic ball tourneys before it) thread is several hundred comments; how many pick out any terribly discernible diff in play? I didn't read it but I'm going to guess ~0% same as those before it. Omniscient, no?

Sometimes the issue at hand isn't what's in the popular front page news. Hopefully those paying attention should've figured that out by now.

I have watched plenty of matches with the DHS ball including the German Open and the NA Tour Finals.  There's one shot that happened with enough frequency that's peculiar to the DHS plastic ball that I could substantiate with my own experiences (I've already played hundreds of matches with DHS-made plastic balls):  When the ball comes at medium speed but loaded with extreme topspin, there were plenty of instances where an attempt at countering it resulted in a "WTF" trajectory as if the ball never contacted the paddle correctly...it's as if the ball deformed and flew away from the paddle sooner than usual, resulting in unforced errors.  This phenomenon did not happen whenever I used NP40+ or XSF balls (This is in addition to random strange low or high bounces observed by many, including Jimmy Butler at the NA Tour Finals and Dima Ovcharov against JSH at the Taipei Masters).
I think it could be attributed to possible weak/soft spots in the ball.  I recently received 144 brand-new 3-star DHS polyballs for our club.  I inspected each one of them carefully for roundness and hardness.  Only 52 balls passed my roundness test and out of those, 22 are actually softer than the other balls (I could easily press in with my fingers).

-------------
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I have watched plenty of matches with the DHS ball including the German Open and the NA Tour Finals.  There's one shot that happened with enough frequency that's peculiar to the DHS plastic ball that I could substantiate with my own experiences (I've already played hundreds of matches with DHS-made plastic balls):  When the ball comes at medium speed but loaded with extreme topspin, there were plenty of instances where an attempt at countering it resulted in a "WTF" trajectory as if the ball never contacted the paddle correctly...it's as if the ball deformed and flew away from the paddle sooner than usual, resulting in unforced errors.  This phenomenon did not happen whenever I used NP40+ or XSF balls (This is in addition to random strange low or high bounces observed by many, including Jimmy Butler at the NA Tour Finals and Dima Ovcharov against JSH at the Taipei Masters).
I think it could be attributed to possible weak/soft spots in the ball.  I recently received 144 brand-new 3-star DHS polyballs for our club.  I inspected each one of them carefully for roundness and hardness.  Only 52 balls passed my roundness test and out of those, 22 are actually softer than the other balls (I could easily press in with my fingers).

I was actually going to post a few examples of when this happened and the face of the player revealed annoyance but I figured that the only way to do it objectively was to contrast it with the old ball and that is hard.  It happens fairly often with the women because of how close they play to the table.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:48pm
> Despite this, there were numerous breakages, including a comical (but truly embarrassing to the sport) sequence of events in the Men's Doubles Final where a decent replacement ball couldn't be found for a while. Let's get a new ball out of the packet! Oh, it still plays terribly! Let's get another.

Seems ball pre-selection isn't as careful as you assume.

> In this, you are an outlier. An odd opinion at the fringes of reality, stretching the boundaries of belief to further your personal crusade.

In this case, I've never doubted they might break somewhat more, though not at the every X minutes it's sometimes claimed to be. Of course that doesn't stop people from believing whatever the hell they want about I've said, mostly about performance differences.

> And spare me your usual passive/aggressive closing sentence.

It's a direct reply to this: I have witnessed and considered enough of your input on the forum to realise that your reaction generally has almost nothing to do with the issues at hand and everything with your narrative of "AgentHEX knows best, you're all liars and/or idiots".

Which is interesting given if the issue is technical I've certainly given more than fair share of input there, and if not I have, too.

Not being me you perhaps don't realize just how many shitpost replies I get when the point isn't driven home.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:53pm

There've been claims they last X minutes or whatever, and no real credible numbers otherwise.

I've only said they seem to last much longer than that and long enough it doesn't seem to be a problem in play, but apparently that's interpreted in other ways by folks prone to such.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:55pm

The ignorance displayed by the answer speaks for itself.  Thank you.

I believe you've been the one making claims about specific longevity so the onus is on you to display a lack of ignorance.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:57pm
So AgentHex has never broken a Chinese seamed ball within 5 minutes of hitting with it?  I have.  Definitely more than once.  And like I said on another thread, all my Chinese seamed balls eventually break.  If tournaments didn't use them, I wouldn't buy them.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:58pm
You know what, I am going to run the AgentHex experiment for MyTT.com.  I will buy a box of DHS balls from my club today and play exclusively with them.  Let's see how long they last.  I will tape every moment.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:58pm

So I agree that preconceived notions can be at work with the perception of the Chinese 40+ seamed balls. But they aren't the core of the issue. At most, such notions are working to amplify the importance of the real issues. Two of those issues are objectively demonstrable - specifically, lower bounce (compounding issues that all 40+ balls have marginally slower flight and slower spin) and higher breakage. The third issue - sometimes erratic bounces - is harder to demonstrate due to its random nature.

I've seen a lot of different responses from players when they try plastic for the FIRST time. It depends all sorts of stuff - temperament, style of play, etc. I find it's best to form an opinion about them after a period of time to avoid any short-term shock factor skewing things.

I'm something of a rarity - I was really looking forward to the plastic ball. I even enjoyed using the Palio prototype seamless, which must put me in a small minority. Believe me when I say - I really want to like these balls. I'm not angry with the change in principle (although so many aspects of the switch could have been handled better by the ITTF, and we still have confusion and frustration at the club and league level because of it). And when I stumble across a good ball (seamed included), I like the way they play overall. I'm not bothered by change. The lower bounce and reduced spin are just a thing to get used to (although I don't like the variation between seamed and seamless, which will result in the need to constantly adapt week-by-week).

But the breakages and skids? No way. Unacceptable, and I can only hope that the product improves in the near future.

As a side note - I'm starting to wonder if the two issues of skiddy bounce and durability are linked in some way. When I see the odd occasion when a plastic ball lasts for several weeks, I don't see the erratic bounce problem. The ball I used on Monday was brand new, had a horrible bounce, and lasted 15 minutes before suffering a huge crack. Perhaps the skidding is a sign of an impending break, for whatever reason. I've also been idly messing around with the broken ball this week, and the ball material is surprisingly inelastic. If you deform it, it just doesn't want to spring back to its original shape. Maybe the material itself is less tolerant of any flaw in production. Just idle thoughts with no supporting evidence, of course.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:00pm
Andy,

Those are my thoughts as well, and I don't consider them idle speculation.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:02pm

So AgentHex has never broken a Chinese seamed ball within 5 minutes of hitting with it?  I have.  Definitely more than once. 

Cool story. In a previous thread somebody said they're prone to break when hit with side of the blade. I tend to cut my rubber bit large, or maybe I just don't miss by as much.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:17pm

The place I play keeps the ball with the table for continuity and I don't sit there to trackĀ  how long it lasts but certainly longer than a few matches. Maybe you do and have something of substance to share.

There've been claims they last X minutes or whatever, and no real credible numbers otherwise.

I've only said they seem to last much longer than that and long enough it doesn't seem to be a problem in play, but apparently that's interpreted in other ways by folks prone to such.

There are no credible numbers available. No studies done that I'm aware of. I doubt that DHS would even WANT a public study done during ITTF events - too embarrassing.

There is only personal experience as things stand. I absolutely guarantee that I had a new ball suffer a catastrophic crack at right angles across the seam within 15 minutes on Monday of this week, and those 15 minutes were of very low quality in play terms because the ball was unexpectedly skiddy at seemingly random moments. I replaced it with another one and it lasted another hour until I ran out of time, and it did seem to play better. I should give my balls names and run diary-style blogs really. I'm not jumping on a bandwagon - sometimes a lemon is just a lemon.

I also guarantee that high-level adopters at my club have a terrible failure rate. I will get some hard numbers for you next week if you want a slightly more numerical opinion. Our national players have bags of 144 balls for drilling and training. They have a ton of cell balls left in their old bag from a purchase 2 years ago. Their 3* Joola 40+ bag is half empty after approx. 3 months. I will get harder numbers for you though - I can count the remaining balls and ask about purchase dates. I can tell you this though - they find it quite a depressing period of time as a high-level player, and are hoping that it's just teething problems (as do many, I presume). This will give you a comparative failure rate, although still only from a group of 3 players.

Venturing more into the gossipy area of things - after the first plastic Grand Prix tournament here in the UK the talk was that the event nearly ran out of balls due to breakages. This was several months ago and I can't remember the exact numbers, but the event was down to their last 2 dozen balls and there was some talk of purchasing more from the supplier as an emergency measure during the tournament. Unheard of in cell times, and I believe each event now keeps a bigger stock on hand at the outset. Again - I will ask some questions and try to revisit this one. It's too vague to be of real value. Also, I'll be at a Grand Prix next month where we will be using Stiga's 40+, so I'll try to weasel as much information out of as many people as I can.

But all this aside - I've seen some good opinions given by reasonable people on this and other forums about breakage rates, and they have given reasonable information considering the circumstances. I see no real reason why I should doubt players' recounting of their experiences if they are prepared to put some effort into reporting them.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:31pm

Not being me you perhaps don't realize just how many shitpost replies I get when the point isn't driven home.

True - I can't stand to follow a lot of the back-and-forth which swirls around you. There may come a time when you step back and consider why it keeps happening though. When I read many of your posts they have the following structure to my casual eye:

1. Hello.
2. Informative content, with effort to further some discussion.
3. Vague, hand-waving disparaging sign-off along the lines of "I would maybe expect better from people who can read" or some such.

Now, I'm not one for censorship or too much introspection, and you're not the only person who ends posts with a sly stabbing motion into the general surroundings, but you do it a lot. A lot. And it's hard to ignore for some people (me included), and contributes to the general air of antagonism on the forum these days.

If you genuinely believe that you are contributing valuable content, why not maximise the effect by reducing the confrontational aspects? Your message gets diluted for me by having to wade through the unhelpful noise. And it doesn't drive the point home - it just hardens opinions against you. Your point should stand or fall based on content alone.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 7:09pm

You know what, I am going to run the AgentHex experiment for MyTT.com.  I will buy a box of DHS balls from my club today and play exclusively with them.  Let's see how long they last.  I will tape every moment.

I was thinking about running a test with DHS balls shot out of my robot and recorded on video to see if I could identify more erratic bounces from DHS 40+ ball in a test that more closely simulated a loop.  But then I asked myself why?  Why go to this kind of trouble to establish this for one person who has ignored so many good points made on this and other topics?  And beside that, until the balls are made more durable I'll avoid buying them anyway - good/consistent bounce or not.

As for longevity, I can give you a reasonable standard based on the tournaments I run.  Our tournaments use an average of about 3 dozen balls per tournament.  We've been getting that many new balls for each of the last dozen or so tournaments and I'm running neither a substantial surplus or deficit.  I always have about a two dozen new and used (mostly new) balls in reserve but never more than three dozen. 

I estimate that we play about 400 matches in each of our two tournaments with Giant Round Robins and probably about 300 in each of the other three.  That's 1700 matches and about 180 balls. That means that each ball lasts on average a bit less than 10 matches.  Of course some balls are lost to the pockets of players and bouncing behind the bleachers.  So real durability for the Nittaku 3* Premium balls that we've used is probably somewhere between 10-12 matches per ball.  

My single Nexy seamless ball just lasted well over 20 matches before breaking.  But the Xushaofa that I replaced it lasted about a game and a half when my opponent hit it solidly with the edge of his racket while attempting a very strong loop drive and shatter a chunk out of its side.  The third ball (Xushaofa) is now on its approximately tenth match and still seems fine.  So right now my limited experience is matching what has been reported here - greater durability than celluloid unless the ball suffers a strong table or blade edge strike.  And even then, possibly still delivering a bit better overall durability.  

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 7:15pm

I'm something of a rarity - I was really looking forward to the plastic ball.

But not entirely alone.  In my case I expected to hate the seamless balls based on the prototype we had in 2013.  And yet, once they were approved by ITTF, I turned out to be their earliest and most vocal advocate for a long time here, to the point where the joke became that every time I wrote a post about them they raised the price 10%.  I don't claim insight, I just bought some early on and like them a lot.

In fact, I anticipated that  the seamed balls would be better.  The very first post I wrote on 40+ balls, when I had only used one for about five minutes, just some forehand counters and loop and block, was hey, not so bad.  This should be ok.

But then the next time I played with Joola 40+, I made the mistake of playing matches and that's when the truth seemed to hit home, and my next comment here was along the lines of, "wait a minute, might not be so easy to get used to as I thought".  For the next three weeks, I played with the Joola and Nittaku SHA faithfully, trying to adjust, and then out of desperation more or less, I bought a XSF and was amazed immediately.  That was when I started banging the drum for seamless.

Since then, I have played with about every brand made, and many many hours on two kinds of table against players of all levels and many styles.  I have given them to players of all levels and gauged their reactions.  I have done blind testing with clubmates including 2550 players and 1700 players.

The DHS/Joola/Nittaku SHA 40+ ball is not good -- not yet, anyway.  And the DF are not really better. 

The seamless is quite good. 

As things stand now,  the NP40+ is not even really an option since it is not sold, either due to supply chain or manufacturing problems (and they were fragile also). 

That's all I can say. 

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 7:17pm
Most of what I have written about plastic balls for the last 9-months is supported by nearly every comment here when people start using these things seriously, certainly the overwhelming consensus from nearly everyone is that they are different from celluloid and different from seamless.  Smartguy/Mastermind has disappeared now that it is clear that some people in Europe are starting to play with these balls and they are not going to go away as he predicted. 

And, even with Smartguy/Mastermind now silent, every thread on 40+ balls currently ends up in a flame war.  Why? 

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 7:44pm

True - I can't stand to follow a lot of the back-and-forth which swirls around you. There may come a time when you step back and consider why it keeps happening though. When I read many of your posts they have the following structure to my casual eye:

1. Hello.
2. Informative content, with effort to further some discussion.
3. Vague, hand-waving disparaging sign-off along the lines of "I would maybe expect better from people who can read" or some such.

Now, I'm not one for censorship or too much introspection, and you're not the only person who ends posts with a sly stabbing motion into the general surroundings, but you do it a lot. A lot. And it's hard to ignore for some people (me included), and contributes to the general air of antagonism on the forum these days.

If you genuinely believe that you are contributing valuable content, why not maximise the effect by reducing the confrontational aspects? Your message gets diluted for me by having to wade through the unhelpful noise. And it doesn't drive the point home - it just hardens opinions against you. Your point should stand or fall based on content alone.

Apologies for long post but it's as brief as possible for what it looks like from my pov. Frequently on this forum you see reviews & such of equipment that's surely more than few percent different in many diverse/nuanced ways than what the user had before. However their judgements are taken in an optimist light and what are surely only variations are seen as an improvements esp if faster/"better". Now you get a ball that's marginally slower/less spin/ some with less bounce, and it's interpreted as night and day distinguishable. If you've caught Debater's ball tests, he's no doubt noticed this to some degree and cleverly designed a test where he switches balls (to the DHS/Joola) while covering w/ casual mention of new rubber he's testing. Nobody noticed the different ball (and this is fairly early on w/ less instinctive familiarity and supposedly even worse ball), despite the many claims of night and day contrast.

This is more or less mirrors the degree of diff I've experience: enough that it's not the same but not really worse than someone else changing their equipment, nevermind my own. Sometimes there's still the odd bounce but those aren't nonexistent with cell on various tables either.  I don't believe this to be a contentious opinion nor terribly uncommon. However, it's certainly not the prevailing socialite opinion. Now I know I can be a stubborn person, so I'd imagine someone else less so with the same experience wouldn't bother with this lion's den which insists & enforce that these new balls are barely playable.

Except in this case I happen to understand the physical interactions well enough to know what's possible & not, and because I'm also a hardass I'd on the contrary insist those claiming substantial (*obvious*) differences to demonstrate them; which should be easy enough given just how many are repeating the same thing. This is the part that particular doesn't play well because objective claims based on subjective feel are a lot easier made than shown. Sweating bullets of indignation the msg is clear: how dare anyone question the hivemind. Well, if folks want to play the rhetoric game, I can do that, too, if not better.

Of course you're right being dismissive of this hand waving indignation & such can make people even angrier. However I've been taught adequate character and hold to enough of a personal standard than to capitulate to nothing of substance. OTOH I do appreciate the various stabs at estimating longevity down to something tangible.

-------------

Posted By: Mastermind
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Smartguy/Mastermind has disappeared now that it is clear that some people in Europe are starting to play with these balls and they are not going to go away as he predicted.

"Some people", I see.

Anyone can check it at click-tt and see, how extreme unpopular plastic balls are in Germany. Look at regional associations where the teams must report what kind of ball they use for the competition. Like  WĆ¼rttemberg-Hohenzollern (http://ttvwh.click-tt.de/). Go to Spielklassen TTVWH, then choose a league and click on the teams. 8 Teams out of 153 use plastic (like 7 others did not specified their ball though). At a lower level I randomly checked 2 leagues, did not find plastic at all.

Note that there are over 600,000 registered club members in Germany, it is a highly developed tt-country.

At a higher level Oberliga and Regionalliga fewer teams used plastic last time I checked (about a month ago) than in September 2014.

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:14pm
I have no reason to doubt your numbers for German leagues but 8/153 is >0.  I would bet a great deal that number will increase over time although that would be just conjecture on my part and I don't want to argue about it.  That is a flame war for a different day.  I certainly would not blame them for not using them. 

One thing you can ask at the moment is why the number is so low in Germany, especially outside of the highest level leagues.

The reason is that people have tried the 40+ balls from the most trusted brands that dominate that market -- Donic, Joola, Stiga, Nittaku SHA, etc. -- and people don't like them because they are very different in various way from what they are used to using -- bounce height, durability, weird behavior. 

That is my main point here, and it is a pretty non-controversial thing to say about seamed Chinese balls.

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:20pm
I think AgentHex has finally won me over to his side. Those Germans are crazy!

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: roundrobin
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:47pm

The reason is that people have tried the 40+ balls from the most trusted brands that dominate that market -- Donic, Joola, Stiga, Nittaku SHA, etc. -- and people don't like them because they are very different in various way from what they are used to using -- bounce height, durability, weird behavior. 

I think this is definitely the case.  Since XSF seamless balls are not being re-branded by these companies that are very popular in Germany, very few people have actually tried them -specifically the ITTF-approved version of these XSF seamless balls.  The fact that ITTF is being sponsored by DHS does not help the matter either...

-------------
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:47pm

As things stand now,  the NP40+ is not even really an option since it is not sold, either due to supply chain or manufacturing problems (and they were fragile also). 

My experienced training for and playing in the open says otherwise.  I also asked some of the folks running the tournament whether what the durability was like and the general response was that it was similar to what they had with celluloid.  Keep in mind that I played a lot of hardbat matches and even sandpaper with the NP40+ and these rackets tend to be more damaging to the balls.  

The only indication of a durability problem that I saw was with one hardbat player who has a particularly hard forehand drive. Of course, for all we know there may be variations in batches.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:58pm
Doesn't it seem a bit odd that so many months of posts about longevity only now produces some rough approx of how much upon the most demanding insistence possible? And some folks expect everyone to take a collective decision formed apparently long before the most basic measure existed seriously?

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:01pm

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that so many months of posts about longevity only now produces some rough approx of how much upon the most demanding insistence possible? And some folks expect everyone to take a collective decision formed apparently long before the most basic measure existed seriously?

You mean the same way you have a vague notion of your personal objectivity but still claim it is valid?

Hell yeah!

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:05pm
I'm confused here, I thought it was already decided which balls were more durable and yet there's still data showing disagreement.

> You mean the same way you have a vague notion of your personal objectivity but still claim it is valid?

Just FYI, I don't take your interpretations of my statements seriously.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:11pm
On a more serious note, how much of an approximation of longevity does one need when one has broken every Chinese seamed ball he has purchased and used himself?  The problem here is assuming that people need the most basic measure to describe something that virtually everyone has experienced except you in terms of assessing the durability of the ball.  Playability is a different story - that, I think the seamed balls suffer in part because of the seamless alternative, but it's clear that they have fans.  But no one even argues their durability.  After all, I did bring up the fact that the Joola balls have improved because our last tournament in February experienced far less breakage vs. the batch we had from November.  But the breakage rate was so signficant that demands for their strict measurement could only be demanded by someone who has no experience with them.

And like I said, I didn't go in today, but I will go in tomorrow, buy a batch and play exclusively with them.  Film every moment too.  And we will see how long they last.  I am playing tournaments that still use them so I might as well pay the price.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:18pm

I'm confused here, I thought it was already decided which balls were more durable and yet there's still data showing disagreement.

> You mean the same way you have a vague notion of your personal objectivity but still claim it is valid?

Just FYI, I don't take your interpretations of my statements seriously.

Sure, you don't.  Explains why you feel a need to respond to them with arguments that use the reptilian part of your brain.  

What data shows disagreement?  I have played with every ball.  The Nittaku Premium plastic ball is an wierd animal.  There are some that break fairly quickly, and even when broken, are still fairly playable, sometimes with a cracked sound but sometimes without.  At Nationals, I do not remember breaking a ball, though I did break a couple in the first batch I bought from Japan.  It's pretty clear that some of the balls can be very durable, playing around 7 hours or more.  I still have a couple in my training set at least that old, though others have been broken.  But it's something that people know you can get a good batch or a bad batch with.  And no one questions the consistency or the playability, as the bounce is high and the predictability of the bounce is similar to celluloid.  I would have no problem with someone seriously asking at any time for a serious measurement of how long a NP40+ ball lasts as it is an open and serious question, though bad balls were known to exist (lots of complaints were made at the Euro Team Champs, for example, but not that many I remember at Nationals). For a DHS or Joola ball last year, that question was fairly ridiculous.  We broke the Joolas like eggs at both our club tournament and at the NA Teams.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:27pm
> Just FYI, I don't take your interpretations of my statements seriously.

Que example of why:

me> There've been claims they last X minutes or whatever, and no real credible numbers otherwise. I've only said they seem to last much longer than that and long enough it doesn't seem to be a problem in play, but apparently that's interpreted in other ways by folks prone to such.

you> But the breakage rate was so signficant that demands for their strict measurement could only be demanded by someone who has no experience with them.

--------------

> Sure, you don't.  Explains why you feel a need to respond to them with arguments that use the reptilian part of your brain.  

The reptilian part of my brain says when someone claims X is bigger than Y, how much bigger is important. Pray tell how the smart part of your refutes this.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:37pm

Why go to this kind of trouble to establish this for one person who has ignored so many good points made on this and other topics? 

Worth iterating that the points are really not as good as they might seem to those making them. I recall you were adamant about the speed of spun balls going into the table, which is a fair point, but it seemed pretty obvious that to find largest diffs it makes far more sense to look at balls that bounce high than the exact opposite. I even ended up elaborating all the way to how ratios work to little apparent effect. So yeah I "ignored" it, because after a ponder the point kind of sucked.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:54pm

> Just FYI, I don't take your interpretations of my statements seriously.

Que example of why:

me> There've been claims they last X minutes or whatever, and no real credible numbers otherwise. I've only said they seem to last much longer than that and long enough it doesn't seem to be a problem in play, but apparently that's interpreted in other ways by folks prone to such.

you> But the breakage rate was so signficant that demands for their strict measurement could only be demanded by someone who has no experience with them.

--------------

> Sure, you don't.  Explains why you feel a need to respond to them with arguments that use the reptilian part of your brain.  

The reptilian part of my brain says when someone claims X is bigger than Y, how much bigger is important. Pray tell how the smart part of your refutes this.

Because reptiles don't need to know that King Kong is a gazillion feet to run away from him?

Seriously, these balls broke like eggs.  I asked a 12 year old 2100 rated player how frequently the Joola balls broke.  He said he could break 2-3 in 1.5 hours of playing.  I asked an 1800 player who used the DHS against my advice (he enjoyed playing with them) for his estimate - his was an hour of moderate hitting.  Neither visit this site so they are not part of this circle jerk.

That the Joola balls are doing better now jives with the rumors I have heard that they switched manufacturers.  The 1800 player estimated his first Butterfly ball lasted about 6 hours and that it is the best ball he has owned so far, since he has not purchased any seamless or Nittaku Japan balls (like I said, he likes how the DHS ball plays).

So when other balls are lasting up to 7-12 hrs, do you really want to compare and contrast withg measurements?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:56pm
I don't get the reason for all this back and forth - why don't we all just ignore Hex?

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:08pm
Jay,  regarding NP40+ balls, my sample was less durable than XSF but my sample size is relatively small, about 24 balls, and I can't seem to buy more anyway.  Bear in mind that durability is not just how long before they break, but the condition they are in after, say, 6 hrs of play, and NP40+ look like they'be been through a war at that point and XSF have actually improved because a little of the roughness is gone.

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:09pm

Seriously, these balls broke like eggs.  I asked a 12 year old 2100 rated player how frequently the Joola balls broke.  He said he could break 2-3 in 1.5 hours of playing.  I asked an 1800 player who used the DHS against my advice (he enjoyed playing with them) for his estimate - his was an hour of moderate hitting.  Neither visit this site so they are not part of this circle jerk.
That the Joola balls are doing better now jives with the rumors I have heard that they switched manufacturers.  The 1800 player estimated his first Butterfly ball lasted about 6 hours and that it is the best ball he has owned so far, since he has not purchased any seamless or Nittaku Japan balls (like I said, he likes how the DHS ball plays).
So when other balls are lasting up to 7-12 hrs, do you really want to compare and contrast withg measurements?

So the DHS balls last ~1hr vs ~10? Anyone have tournament ball counts to verify this 10x discrepancy?

> I don't get the reason for all this back and forth - why don't we all just ignore Hex?

Generally back and forth is how discussions work. Also despite it all, the appearance that claims are rational is desirable and this perception is lost when someone is poking holes in them.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I don't get the reason for all this back and forth - why don't we all just ignore Hex?

Probably would be the best since his comments extend the lengths of threads in really bizarre ways so that people who actually want to find something useful about these topics have to wade through oceans of his stuff and probably get put off by it -- if the messages in my inbox are representative of what a lot of people out there think.  (And surely even AgentHEX understands the concept of a distribution when it comes to observations, so yes, some current DHS balls could last 1 hr or less, and some 10).

The quality of current DHS balls is not really something it is really very productive to actually debate, as oppose to "wish they would do something to start selling something acceptable".

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:24pm
What does it really say when it's "bizarre" to try to get an idea of the aggregate expected difference instead of accepting whatever word on the street?

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:31pm

Seriously, these balls broke like eggs.  I asked a 12 year old 2100 rated player how frequently the Joola balls broke.  He said he could break 2-3 in 1.5 hours of playing.  I asked an 1800 player who used the DHS against my advice (he enjoyed playing with them) for his estimate - his was an hour of moderate hitting.  Neither visit this site so they are not part of this circle jerk.
That the Joola balls are doing better now jives with the rumors I have heard that they switched manufacturers.  The 1800 player estimated his first Butterfly ball lasted about 6 hours and that it is the best ball he has owned so far, since he has not purchased any seamless or Nittaku Japan balls (like I said, he likes how the DHS ball plays).

So the DHS balls last ~1hr vs ~10? Anyone have tournament ball counts to verify this 10x discrepancy?

> I don't get the reason for all this back and forth - why don't we all just ignore Hex?

Generally back and forth is how discussions work. Also despite it all, the appearance that claims are rational is desirable and this perception is lost when someone is poking holes in them.

Anyone have any ball counts and/or experiences that dispute this 10x discrepancy?

The point is not that you are asking for ball counts - the question is that other than a general disrespect for the minds of others, what reason do you have to doubt the discrepancy?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:34pm

What does it really say when it's "bizarre" to try to get an idea of the aggregate expected difference instead of accepting whatever word on the street?

And how is the aggregate expected difference from any one director different from the word on the street given the standards by which it was collected?  Did you query Wturber on his methodology?

You might think you are deceiving people, but the nature of your process is pretty transparent.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:41pm
> And how is the aggregate expected difference from any one director different from the word on the street given the standards by which it was collected?  Did you query Wturber on his methodology?

Is this a trick question? Your data is what's correctly deemed word on the street: anecdotal from limited parties over a limited range, prone to confirmation bias. Wturber's data is systematic over a tournament and therefore not the same thing.

Maybe is it 10x difference, but doesn't seem plausible given I've definitely used these for >1hr.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:57pm

> And how is the aggregate expected difference from any one director different from the word on the street given the standards by which it was collected?  Did you query Wturber on his methodology?

Is this a trick question? Your data is what's correctly deemed word on the street: anecdotal from limited parties over a limited range, prone to confirmation bias. Wturber's data is systematic over a tournament and therefore not the same thing.

Maybe is it 10x difference, but doesn't seem plausible given I've definitely used these for >1hr.

No, it's called a limited data set which might be biased even if measured accurately.  Wturber's data is larger, but has not be checked for anything that makes it clearly more rigorous than anything I have mentioned.  What I may do if our tournament director is in tomorrow is to ask him for numbers that contrast the balls we had in November vs. the balls in February.  What will be interesting is whether that result will met with another smart aleck remark or the same level of acceptance you displayed when you saw Wturber's stats.

Note that the Junior I asked bought 72 of these balls to practice for the NA teams tournament.  None of the balls survived that training period.  I bought 30, none of which survived either.  So word on the street or not, we aren't players who have just used a few of these balls.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 11:26pm
My standards in this matter aren't that high, but they're still above considering couple guys spitballing and quantitative record over a tournament the same thing.

Also, your arguments when it comes to meaningful info are honestly just terrible:
>What will be interesting is whether that result will met with another smart aleck remark or the same level of acceptance you displayed when you saw Wturber's stats.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds to people who can understand the distinction? And how bad it makes me look if I respect that?

-------------

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 11:29pm
"So the DHS balls last ~1hr vs ~10? Anyone have tournament ball counts to verify this 10x discrepancy?"

Here is the very basic illustration of how one might see that one  DHS ball could last for, say 1 hr before breaking and the next one could last for 10 hr, and one still might conclude that in general they are worse than, say, celluloid or seamless.  In this cartoon the ball lifetime is plotted on the X-axis and the Y-axis is the percentage of balls in a large sample that lasted that have a particular lifetime. Consider that the sample 1 is a DHS 40+ and  sample 2 is some other ball, like XSF.  Not all DHS balls break in 30 min (although I have had one or two that broke that quickly).  Some will last longer.  Same with all balls, it's always been true, for any brand there is a distribution of lifetimes.  Now, when the collective experience gets sufficiently massive, as we now have for Chinese seamed balls, we are pretty sure that reality is something like the diagram below.  But no, I haven't kept careful records.

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 11:58pm
That's not what NL is saying. Frankly if you believe it's higher than 1hr just say so.

In the future if you feel a need to explain how numbers work it's most beneficial to direct it at folks who might need it.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 12:49am
Well your contention that a few % of difference in the properties of balls or other equipment is meaningless in table tennis suggests you need some sort of remediation.  Probably not in math, but in something for sure.

I can say that nearly all of the seamed Chinese balls I had lasted longer than 1 hr but certainly I had a couple break in less than that.  Moreover, the generation of balls made around last June typically became unplayable after 2+ hr even if they didn't fracture.  Like I said, I didn't keep detailed records.  I very much dislike playing with them and won't buy anymore until someone can show me they have improved.

The poor quality of the vast majority of seamed Chinese balls made to date is not something worth debating, it is about as well established as anything we ever talk about here, but if you like them AgentHEX, enjoy.

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 8:19am
The weird thing is that AgentHex repeatedly forgets that the couple of guys spitballing have bought and used more balls and play at a higher level than the average tournament does. My point is that if the tournament keeps a careful record, then it does. But the people spitballing actually invested in these balls. The tournaments often got them for free from ball manufacturers.

While I am surprised that Baal has experienced greater durability with the seamed balls that I have, my guess is that he might be more selective about the balls he chooses anyway. The number of times people at Lily Yip would just dismiss 2 thirds of the balls in a box because of roundness issues (more a DFish problem but applicable to all seamed) was funny.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 11:16am
One thing may be that I play at a club with a soft floor, and tarps on the walls that prevents  the time the from hitting them with great force.  (They are for lighting contrast but they help with ball breakage too).  But I still know without any doubt whatsoever that the Chinese seamed balls break at a much higher rate than seamless or celluloid. It was the first thing I noticed about them. And yes, I am pretty careful to check for roundness before using a ball.  Another thing may be (and I am totally speculating here) is that it never gets very cold in Houston compared to PA. 

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 1:15pm

Jay,  regarding NP40+ balls, my sample was less durable than XSF but my sample size is relatively small, about 24 balls, and I can't seem to buy more anyway.  Bear in mind that durability is not just how long before they break, but the condition they are in after, say, 6 hrs of play, and NP40+ look like they'be been through a war at that point and XSF have actually improved because a little of the roughness is gone.

I agree that NP40+ balls pick up dirt and look natty quickly.  In fact, they start out a duller white to begin with.  But they still played fine in my experience.  If the ball not being bright white is an issue for a player, then the NP40+'s will probably disappoint in that area.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 1:31pm

One thing may be that I play at a club with a soft floor, and tarps on the walls that prevents  the time the from hitting them with great force.  (They are for lighting contrast but they help with ball breakage too).  But I still know without any doubt whatsoever that the Chinese seamed balls break at a much higher rate than seamless or celluloid. It was the first thing I noticed about them. And yes, I am pretty careful to check for roundness before using a ball.  Another thing may be (and I am totally speculating here) is that it never gets very cold in Houston compared to PA. 

We have rubber-covered concreted floors and can sometimes hit the concrete wall with hard shots on some of our main tables.  Maybe that explains the difference in breakage rate, though it doesn't explain why our seamless balls and Nittaku Premiums tend to do relatively well.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 1:42pm

Anyone have any ball counts and/or experiences that dispute this 10x discrepancy?

The point is not that you are asking for ball counts - the question is that other than a general disrespect for the minds of others, what reason do you have to doubt the discrepancy?

The point for me is that when you are paying over $2/ball, the ball should be clearly durable in a manner similar to the previous $2 celluloid balls.  Heuristic evaluation is perfectly sufficient for most situations involving table tennis balls - especially when there are good alternatives.  For large tournaments or in situations where large numbers of balls will be purchased, then something more objective/quantitative would be better.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 1:54pm
I made that point in plain English earlier bit you have to realize that its not good enough for everyone.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: 42andbackpains
Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 2:07pm
Seamless balls are not perfect either....Probably about 1 hour in with my new Xushaofa seamless balls, cracked a ball by hitting the side of my paddle. $2.50 gone in a hour. None of the new balls seamed or seamless can compare to the old celluloid balls. Reliability is definitely a issue and we have to live with this for now until something better comes out. Unhappy

-------------
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 2:20pm

The point for me is that when you are paying over $2/ball, the ball should be clearly durable in a manner similar to the previous $2 celluloid balls.  Heuristic evaluation is perfectly sufficient for most situations involving table tennis balls - especially when there are good alternatives.  For large tournaments or in situations where large numbers of balls will be purchased, then something more objective/quantitative would be better.

Recall before 1hr or whatever numbers like 10/15min were bouncing around, and the new number doesn't seem much better than the old ones besides sounding at least marginally plausible.

The point is if someone respected info of this sort and repeats it, how does it make them look when it turns out it's actually let's say >3hr which would hardly be surprising. Clearly some folks don't mind being in such a position but I do.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:02pm

Recall before 1hr or whatever numbers like 10/15min were bouncing around, and the new number doesn't seem much better than the old ones besides sounding at least marginally plausible.

The point is if someone respected info of this sort and repeats it, how does it make them look when it turns out it's actually let's say >3hr which would hardly be surprising. Clearly some folks don't mind being in such a position but I do.

Yes, folks like Ovtcharov clearly didn't mind being in such a position when initially practicing with the balls for the Super League.  And the pros at the German Open doubles final didn't mind turning down 3 balls as broken without using them.  Neither did many people who paid for these balls and were disappointed by how quickly they broke.

Who do you think your barely informed posts are fooling?  The truth is that 3.5 hours would be a pleasant surprise to most people, and would be surprising to someone who used these balls regularly.  It would mean that there have to be some really good balls whose playability lasts beyond 5 hours, probably much longer.  Maybe for balls produced this year from Butterfly and Joola, that is plausible and even reasonable, but for balls last year and even the DHS balls that I will be testing today, that is very unlikely.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:05pm
So someone finally bothers to question how much worse it's actually supposed to be and these characters so sure of themselves for hundreds of posts over months start hand waving and lowballing. Weren't they trying to make fun of me for not knowing the answer? There's a term for honesty instead of trying to replace ignorance with conviction and it's called integrity.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:19pm

So someone finally bothers to question how much worse it's actually supposed to be and these characters so sure of themselves for hundreds of posts over months start hand waving and lowballing. Weren't they trying to make fun of me for not knowing the answer? There's a term for honesty instead of trying to replace ignorance with conviction and it's called integrity.

Anonymity allows for this tripe.

In other words, you are claiming that the people who complain about the rapid breakage and the quality of the balls are liars? Or lack integrity?

My point is simple: rapid breakage is a real phenomenon. It was discussed when the balls were first introduced and it has gone on till today for some brands of balls. Our tournament was appalled by the breakage rate in November last year.

Whatever the actual number is, it will not make the QC issues related to these balls disappear any more than life expectancy makes the frequency of still births and infancy deaths disappear.

It's easy to argue that people could be exaggerating on the basis of a few incidents. But as Baal pointed out, the question is really the distribution. It takes a lot of confidence to see pros test and reject three balls on live transmission and then argue that people who are complaining about rapid breakage are exaggerating. And I think someone who isn't even mildly biased by what happened in that transmission is the one who lacks integrity.

People have provided informed answers which even of wrong, are heuristically in the right direction. You have provided nothing other than trolling masquerading as objectivity. You are willing to let those you accuse of lacking integrity perform tests that were you really invested, you could perform yourself.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:31pm
No, baal was trying to cover for you with the loller 1-10hr estimate because even he knows 1hr seems unrealistic.

Also, it's pretty clear lowballing to make your case is the opposite of integrity by definition of the word. From the minutes to hour to >2 the word on the street for longevity seems quite bullish.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:43pm
> You have provided nothing other than trolling masquerading as objectivity. You are willing to let those you accuse of lacking integrity perform tests that were you really invested, you could perform yourself.

I've only asked those making claims to justify them. Bizarre, I know. It's not my problem they all of sudden seem a lot more wishy washy than they were presented to be.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:52pm

No, baal was trying to cover for you with the loller 1-10hr estimate because even he knows 1hr seems unrealistic.

Also, it's pretty clear lowballing to make your case is the opposite of integrity by definition of the word. From the minutes to hour to >2 the word on the street for longevity seems quite bullish.
Well, I will buy the balls today and start tracking.  Again, the 12 year old I asked the question and the 1800 player who gave me his answer are real players known to lots of mytt members in the NJ/PA area.  And I have my experience with my balls as well.  We can then decide if I am lowballing or not. 

Baal and I have to the degree we can reconciled it to differences in club surroundings.  But it's a very simple thing to track.  If a ball doesn't break, we can at least look at what condition it is in.  The one thing that biases all of the people I asked is that we all play in the same club. But like I said, this doesn't explain why we don't break other ball types at the same rate.

But like I have said, when you have no faith in human beings, you make up all kinds of reasons to believe they are liars.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Seamless balls are not perfect either....Probably about 1 hour in with my new Xushaofa seamless balls, cracked a ball by hitting the side of my paddle. $2.50 gone in a hour. None of the new balls seamed or seamless can compare to the old celluloid balls. Reliability is definitely a issue and we have to live with this for now until something better comes out. Unhappy

There are no perfect balls.  Never have been.

I have a really long experience with seamless balls, about 9 months now.  Yes, I have fractured some on sharp edges*.  It's rare but it has happened.  BUT, my very long experience with them allows me to say that on average they are more durable than any seamless balls, and frankly more playable for a longer period of time than the vast majority of celluloid.  They are actually at their best after they have had a couple hours of play.

* when a seamless ball breaks it more or less disintegrates catastrophically.  It doesn't get a little crack that allows you to play with the ball for awhile.

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 4:07pm
I polled a few more people, none of whom AFAIK visits here (mytt).  I know that none of this is a substitute for precise measurements but just to show people how out of the loop AgentHex is with his trolling.

One high level player told me he breaks 5 a night during topspin play, but it is what it is because his club plays for his balls. 

Another player 1800+ said "very quickly - I hate how it bounces."  Now he puts his estimate at 2 hours and he plays in a high school gym with wooden floors so that might be it.

My coach puts his estimate at 1 hour, though it depends on who is using it,  It often doesn't last more than a match or two.  OF course, he coaches at our club and coaches all the players I sampled at my club so far so he is just another perspective on the same result.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 4:21pm

> You have provided nothing other than trolling masquerading as
objectivity. You are willing to let those you accuse of lacking
integrity perform tests that were you really invested, you could perform
yourself.

I've only asked those making claims to justify them. Bizarre, I know. It's not my problem they all of sudden seem a lot more wishy washy than they were presented to be.

There is nothing to justify. These are just people stating their experiences with the ball, and forming opinions based on those experiences and the experiences of others. That's it. There is nothing false in that process - these are just opinions, and are always going to be subjective to a degree.

But it really is quite simple for me - I broke a brand new ball in 15 minutes of playtime. It was behaving strangely beforehand. The replacement was OK for the next hour. In total, 3 of the 6 I had in the box have broken since I bought them, but I can't be sure of how long the other 2 lasted because I was using them sporadically. I have never in my 20 years of TT play had this happen with a box of 3* celluloid balls. Combining that experience with similar reports of poor durability from reliable forum members and high-level players I know in person leads me to the conclusion that they are poor as things stand.

This whole thing is the biggest stretch I've ever seen from anyone on this forum. You don't have any point to make AH. None.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 4:23pm

The weird thing is that AgentHex repeatedly forgets that the couple of guys spitballing have bought and used more balls and play at a higher level than the average tournament does. My point is that if the tournament keeps a careful record, then it does. But the people spitballing actually invested in these balls. The tournaments often got them for free from ball manufacturers.

In case it was missed, the point of my post was to provide a halfway decent benchmark on what we have been seeing with a good quality celluloid ball (Nittaku Premium 3* celluloid).  That's all.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 4:27pm

> You have provided nothing other than trolling masquerading as
objectivity. You are willing to let those you accuse of lacking
integrity perform tests that were you really invested, you could perform
yourself.

There is nothing to justify. These are just people stating their experiences with the ball, and forming opinions based on those experiences and the experiences of others. That's it. There is nothing false in that process - these are just opinions, and are always going to be subjective to a degree.

But it really is quite simple for me - I broke a brand new ball in 15 minutes of playtime. It was behaving strangely beforehand. The replacement was OK for the next hour. In total, 3 of the 6 I had in the box have broken since I bought them, but I can't be sure of how long the other 2 lasted because I was using them sporadically. I have never in my 20 years of TT play had this happen with a box of 3* celluloid balls. Combining that experience with similar reports of poor durability from reliable forum members and high-level players I know in person leads me to the conclusion that they are poor as things stand.

This whole thing is the biggest stretch I've ever seen from anyone on this forum. You don't have any point to make AH. None.

The claims seem quite a bit more than "my personal experience on the matter" given how they're phrased and repeated ad infinitum, esp when your estimate is somewhere between 1-10hr until further notice. So much so that folks whose experience isn't as bad are taken to task.

Good thing you bring up stretching because that's exactly what this look like. If you believe I've stretched any claim of mine please be more specific.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Yes, I've had that happen as well.  But it is countered by the fact that the previous ball played fine for over 20 matches.  If I can average a use of about one ball per week (for match play) and pay $1.50 or less per ball, I'm happy.  That's a little worse than I had with celluloid (I bought in bulk for $1/ball), but its close.  So far the seamless balls appear to be delivering that for me.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net