Print Page | Close Window

Tibhar Evolution MX-S

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71010
Printed Date: 04/18/2024 at 8:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tibhar Evolution MX-S
Posted By: AndySmith
Subject: Tibhar Evolution MX-S
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 6:51am
Just had my sheet arrive - Black, Max, 73g uncut, 179x168mm (same vital stats as MX-P really) .  Cut to 151x156 the weight is 48.88g, which is around the standard for max thickness, hard ESN rubbers these days.  Many thanks to Matthias Landfried over at tt-shop.net for the help in getting a sheet sorted!

This is a different beast to the rest of the Evo range.  The sponge is different - smaller-pored, and without the booster smell which was so obvious on the original Evolutions and Bluefire Ms.  It's obviously still a hard sponge though.  The topsheet is monstrously grippy when you run a finger down it, and reasonably stiff.  It feels like the grippiest ESN topsheet I've ever experienced.  For comparison, I have a sheet of Omega V Asia here which has a far softer topsheet, less grip to the finger, and feels softer than MX-S overall despite having a harder sponge.  I guess it's going to be very stable.

Once on the blade, MX-S has a hard, definite feel when bouncing a ball, with a dull "thock" sound.  It feels fairly fast without feeling overly bouncy.  The spin test is the headline news though - massive.  Small wrist movement = big reaction on the following bounce.

Full-size pics are available https://picasaweb.google.com/108579723250927437374/General" rel="nofollow - here .

I gave it the full 3 hour treatment last night with Stiga's 40+ seamed ball.  It wasn't long enough for a full review because it was more of a coaching session and I didn't play a wide enough range of strokes in the depth I want.  I'll be back with a more formal review next week, so I'll just give some rambling comments for now.

MX-S was on the FH side of my regular Samsonov Pure Wood blade, and on my backup Pure Woods I had Big Dipper and Tenzone Ultra (BH rubbers on all 3 are Airoc M).

Warm-Up

I was slightly disappointed for the first 10 minutes.  During the initial loop-counterhit warm-up MX-S didn't feel particularly "special" at all (meaning that no overriding quality jumped out at me).  It was incredibly stable and easy to use, the arc was medium and nothing dramatic happened.  At this point the only thing that jumped out at me was how easy the counterhit was, even against heavy loop.  For comparison, I had a higher arc with both BD and TZU on the backup blades, but counterhits and blocks were more difficult.

Serve, Loop Against Backspin, Loop against Block Exercise

I then switched to a serve, push long, loop against backspin, block, loop/drive against block, free exercise.  This is where MX-S made a lot more sense.  

On the serve, you notice a real lack of bounce.  This helps to keep serves short and tight, and also encourages you to add a lot more wrist action, which in turn results in big spin.  This is an excellent rubber for serving, and all the associated other short game bits.

Then the long push comes in, and you loop against backspin.  I'm not overstating things here when I say that this is the easiest rubber for lifting backspin that I've ever tried.  It absolutely eats pushes and chops alive.  I usually have to warm up my backspin-lifting strokes for a few minutes to get my bat angles adjusted after a counterhit warm-up, but not this time.  I genuinely didn't miss a single one during the exercise.

And then the loop/drive against block, which revealed another interesting point.  Driving the ball is very easy with MX-S, but it is noticeably slower than hard ESN rubbers from previous generations (MX-P and M1 are the obvious touchstones).  You have to generate some power yourself on basic drives or you can offer up an easy ball.  There were times when I stepped around to use FH from the BH wing and I ran out of room to get a full stroke in.  The drive produced was a bit weak, and the court was obviously totally opened up.  You need to be fully committed to get the rewards in this scenario.  However, looping the ball against block is easy and very effective.  In fact, taking a more Chinese approach and loop-driving more often than not was the most efficient and consistent approach for me in general during the session.

I stuck with this exercise (and slight variations in placement) for a full hour.  I felt that it was giving me a good insight into how MX-S was working.  After that we did some matchplay...

Matchplay

The qualities I'd seen during the exercises stayed true during the match.  Short game was truly great, counter hits and blocks excellent.  The FH flick isn't my best shot (needs work), but MX-S seemed good here too, although the lack of extreme arc did mean that I needed to get to the peak of the bounce - there wasn't a lot of leeway if the ball dropped.  The main points worth talking about were during open play.  Basic topspin drives had a medium arc, and the arc then doesn't change much when you start to load the ball up with topspin.  With this comes the ability to disguise the level of topspin to some degree - the arc doesn't give the game away.  Adding wrist to a loop brings heavy spin with ease.  

Summary so far

Positives?  Solidity and control - it's very easy to use, predictable, low catapult and linear.  Good (but not wild) pace.  High spin potential.  Zero feeling of slippage with 40+.  Super easy to vary spin, depth and placement during loop-loop play.  Autopilot when lifting backspin.

Downsides?  The medium arc isn't forgiving of positional problems, so recovery strokes on the run aren't as easy as some rubbers.  And it isn't the fastest rubber around, which makes drives a little weaker (although that will be related to my blade choice to some degree - a faster blade will make this less obvious).  I'm nitpicking here though.

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Replies:
Posted By: szikorz
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 8:17am
Great, we can´t wait for the performace comaprison to MX-P. Enjoy..

-------------
Stiga Clipper Wood CR WRB - Fh: Yasaka Rakza 7 - Bh: Tibhar 5Q

Posted By: NoRema
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 8:33am
what blade did you put it on?

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70289&title=feedback-norema" rel="nofollow">

Click the picture for feedback ^

Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by NoRema NoRema wrote:

what blade did you put it on?

It's on my usual Pure Wood for now.  I'll give it a bash on the adidas hypertouch next week for comparison's sake.

-------------

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 10:12am
Big Dipper about to get MX-terminated from Andy's blade...

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 10:27am
I am very interested to hear about this one.

Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 10:30am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I'm not so sure, but you never know.  I've had a great season with BD, but it was a celluloid season.  Perversely, I'm liking it less with the recent plastic training I've been doing, and I seem to play a lot better with an old favorite of mine - Tenzone Ultra.  My blade could be having an influence here, but I really like it and I'm reluctant to change.  I'm on the cusp of switching to TZU, but if MX-S gives more grip with no great compromise in other areas then I may reconsider.  The main issues for me are stability and outright speed.  I found MX-P to be very stable, but a bit too fast for my needs, which leads us nicely into MX-S.

But honestly - the grip on MX-S is really something else.  I did my usual spin test and the ball (celluloid - just laying around in my study) flew off almost at a right-angle.

-------------

Posted By: Magic_M
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 10:57am
Full agreement to Andy`s first impressions:
  • much smaller pored than the other Evolution-series
  • extremely grippy topsheet
Here some pictures to compare MX-S (2,1 black) with FX-P (1,7 red)

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51774&title=feedback-magic-m" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 11:10am
Wow - great photos.  I really need to learn how to use my camera one day...

-------------

Posted By: Magic_M
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 11:51am
But you are a (much) better player and reviewer. It seems, that we are a dream-team:
my pictures together with your review = a nice thread. LOL

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51774&title=feedback-magic-m" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

But you are a (much) better player and reviewer. It seems, that we are a dream-team:
my pictures together with your review = a nice thread. LOL

And you are far more sarcastic!  I'm sure that TT-playing border collie from earlier in the week could give me a close game.

-------------

Posted By: LOG1C1AN
Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 1:24pm
I thought the trend for the bigger plastic balls was toward larger pore sponges. Confused

Sometimes I think manufacturers change their product line like fashion. If big ties were in last season then we can expect skinny ties next season.

Date Posted: 04/08/2015 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I'm not so sure, but you never know.  I've had a great season with BD, but it was a celluloid season.  Perversely, I'm liking it less with the recent plastic training I've been doing, and I seem to play a lot better with an old favorite of mine - Tenzone Ultra.  My blade could be having an influence here, but I really like it and I'm reluctant to change.  I'm on the cusp of switching to TZU, but if MX-S gives more grip with no great compromise in other areas then I may reconsider.  The main issues for me are stability and outright speed.  I found MX-P to be very stable, but a bit too fast for my needs, which leads us nicely into MX-S.

But honestly - the grip on MX-S is really something else.  I did my usual spin test and the ball (celluloid - just laying around in my study) flew off almost at a right-angle.

Brother, I hear you on speed. I play close to the table, I tend to hit the ball with pretty solid contact these days and my blade is faster than yours. It's also been a while for you with the Big Dipper so I am pretty impressed that it kept you this long. For me, its been 6 mths now. I looped with a club mate's T5000 with T80 and was surprised that my looping technique held up well, so I might do some testing at the end of April again. That said, I don't see anything without extremely high topsheet grip coming to the party so its either going to be T05, MX-S/P or P7 and its more likely I will change on the backhand than on the forehand. And its even more likely that I won't change at all as there is something infinitely sexy about using $100 setups to beat up on $300 setups...

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: viktorovich
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:13am
 ? EL-S ... the next ?

Posted By: BaiMile
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:26am
Is MX-S similar to Grip S Euro?

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 5:23am
Originally posted by viktorovich viktorovich wrote:

? EL-S ... the next ?

I think it's quite possible that they will introduce EL-S and FX-S to fill the range up.  Makes commercial sense, and I'm sure ESN will have the sponge options available.

Originally posted by BaiMile BaiMile wrote:

Is MX-S similar to Grip S Euro?

Not really.  Grip S Euro is a chinese rubber - a rebadged Haifu Blue Whale II (or slight variation of).  That said, MX-S's grip is really high so transitioning to it from a chinese rubber is very possible.

-------------

Posted By: t64t64t64
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 6:36am
Hello Andy ,

would you compare this rubber to Baracuda & 05 .

In term of speed and spin.

Control is too individual(personal) for everyone :)

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 6:55am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

Hello Andy ,

would you compare this rubber to Baracuda & 05 .

In term of speed and spin.

Control is too individual(personal) for everyone :)

I've just updated the review with some initial ramblings.  I'm hesitant to start the comparisons with so few hours on the table.  Also, it's becoming hard to directly compare from memory because I last used T05 and Baracuda with celluloid, and I've only used MX-S with plastic so far.

If I had to vaguely wave my hands around at this stage I would say that MX-S does have the levels of grip you'd associate with these two, but the topsheet is stiffer and harder.  Also, MX-S's sponge isn't as lively as T05 or Baracuda either.  This makes MX-S a lot easier to use while retaining high spin potential.

Speed is around the T05 level, a bit faster than Baracuda.

I understand people will want a comparison with T05.  At this stage, MX-S is a slower, spinnier variation on MX-P - I can say that with confidence at this point.  For those people who thought that MX-P was a good alternative to T05 - I think that MX-S is closer in many ways and is well worth a go.  But it still doesn't have the low-effort grab of T05.  Of course, this makes MX-S much easier to use...

-------------

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 1:53pm
I think I will violate my self-imposed policy of not buying anythign I haven't tried before.  But where can you buy MX-S?

Posted By: bogeyhunter
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 1:54pm
Gonna order 3-4 sheets of these bad boys to test!!!

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo

Posted By: Hans Regenkurt
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:13pm
I appreciate that Andy took the effort to post this review. Based on what he says, I understand this rubber will not redeem the world and break Tenergy's dominance. It will be an okay rubber from the hardest ESN kind but there might be other rubbers out there for a more modest price that have the same potential.

Posted By: Tinykin
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:14pm
I hope that Tibhar pays Andy for this or at least send a couple other rubbers to test..free.

-------------
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset

Posted By: kevo
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:36pm
Great review and thread, as always, Andy.  I  just finished my last celluloid season with Andro Rasant Turbo, which I have used for over a year now--FH only, nasty LPs on the BH--and loved it but have found it too slow and lacking the spin needed for the new balls.  Loops don't dip or curve etc.  And the ones that do are coming back, which is not to my liking one single bit, particularly when I've already walked away from the table, choed!, towelled off, had a drink etc. only to see the fat, white (only white, in our club with white walls...) blob floating past.  Which is to say I haven't played much with the new balls at all, and only once competitively, but my arm felt like it was gonna fall off at the end of the matches from swinging so hard in an attempt to rip third ball winners.  Ergo, I need a rubber faster and spinnier for the plastique era.  Was thinking of the P7, or the Powergrip.  Maybe now the MX-S?  (Or the MX-P, perhaps--my blade is an OSP Immune OX with an allround FH so the speed of the MX-P won't be a problem; an asset in fact.)  Now that I've written all this, I can't remember my question!  All hail Andy's articulate, informative and amusing reviews!

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I think I will violate my self-imposed policy of not buying anythign I haven't tried before.  But where can you buy MX-S?

I've seen it at Bribhar, Dandoy, tt-shop.net, and best price at the mo is with Outshine Sports - £30 free shipping from HK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tibhar-Evolution-MX-S-Table-Tennis-Rubber-/271833428115?hash=item3f4a88f093" rel="nofollow - here

I have a good source for MX-P at the moment for 34euros + shipping, so I'm hoping that MX-S will appear on the list there soon.  And there's always tibi, who pops up with Tibhar stock every so often (as long as you buy 2 sheets, obviously).

Before everyone gets carried away, there is one thing which nags at me with MX-S and that's the throw.  With the same blade, I get a higher throw with Tenzone Ultra, which surprised me.  I'm still thinking about that, and I might do some experimentation on monday night with MX-S and TZU A/B's on the same blades - Pure Wood and Hypertouch.  I want to get the comparison as direct as possible.  It bothers me because I've always thought of TZU as a medium throw rubber itself, and for MX-S to be lower is a surprise.  I want to rule out as much weirdness as possible before committing to a full review.

But apart from that, I'm really optimistic about this one.

Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I appreciate that Andy took the effort to post this review. Based on what he says, I understand this rubber will not redeem the world and break Tenergy's dominance. It will be an okay rubber from the hardest ESN kind but there might be other rubbers out there for a more modest price that have the same potential.

Yes, absolutely.  There's something magnetic about MX-S for me, and it's the combination of big grip and ease of use.  It simplifies lots of aspects of the game for a bang-average amateur like me, and also has a big plus as being one of the few ESN rubbers I've tried where I don't feel any sensation of slip with the new ball.  Also, I should add that after the 3 hour session there wasn't a single mark on the topsheet, whereas the fresh sheet of TZU looks a little worn already after a similar length of time last week (plastic ball is rough...).  It's too early to think about real reports of durability though.

But the lack of outright pace would perhaps put better players than I off, and they would be better off with MX-P.  I'm really interested in what Paul Drinkhall will have to say about this rubber over at TTD.  He reviewed MX-P this week, and says that he will be reviewing MX-S next week.  I want to know if he would switch, and if not, why.  I think I can guess the answer, but it would be nice to hear it from him.

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

I hope that Tibhar pays Andy for this or at least send a couple other rubbers to test..free.

Ha!  I wish.  Who do you think I am?  Yogi_bear???  Tongue

-------------

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 2:53pm
Good review Andy.

So, from what I've read so far, it seems that MX-S is not just a less boosted MX-P but it has a different topsheet (with shorter, wider pimples) as well?

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by kevo kevo wrote:

Great review and thread, as always, Andy.  I  just finished my last celluloid season with Andro Rasant Turbo, which I have used for over a year now--FH only, nasty LPs on the BH--and loved it but have found it too slow and lacking the spin needed for the new balls.  Loops don't dip or curve etc.  And the ones that do are coming back

This is going to be one of the big issues for a lot of players when adapting to the new ball.  If you're already using a high-spin, big grip rubber with cell, where do you go with plastic?  Pretty much everything on the market will still feel...something less when you switch.  MX-S feels like the highest grip ESN I've ever used, but it still doesn't fully bridge the gap you feel when you move to plastic.  It's just the best ESN I've tried so far.

I haven't used any rubber yet which makes playing with plastic feel like cell (and nothing ever will, IMO), but I have had a whole bunch of other niggly issues - slippage being one.  You can solve that with a tacky rubber, but that's not for everyone.  MX-S solves it by being scary grippy, so that's a plus point.

Ultimately, to be fully efficient with the plastic ball at the moment (based on how it plays now), get busy driving.  High-arc loops need to be really high quality to avoid giving the opponent an easy counter or smash - it's just too easy to hit through the ball now.  They aren't obsolete shots by any means, but if you drop a high loop short then you will be punished more regularly than before (when perhaps the big spin of your shot would get you out of jail).  There's a player in my club who I could pressurise by mixing up big, high loops with flatter drives.  Now he absolutely nails the loops, and laughs about it after because it's so much easier.

So perhaps the trend for equipment is to combine high spin with a lower arc, in anticipation of this being an emerging style/requirement.  I would usually say that a lower arc reduces your target window and lowers consistency, but there's something about MX-S in particular I see - a consistently tighter arc from any distance.  Even when engaged in loop-loop from 2 metres away the ball doesn't go really high, but it always seems to land.  The lack of aggressive elastic snap from the rubber simplifies your stroke selection and there are no surprises.  Just solid shots from everywhere. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Good review Andy.

So, from what I've read so far, it seems that MX-S is not just a less boosted MX-P but it has a different topsheet (with shorter, wider pimples) as well?

Yup, it's a different sponge too - not just an unboosted MX-P sponge.  This reminds me of Donic's slight abuse of the Bluefire line where they introduced JP02 and JP01 Turbo, even though they had a totally different sponge type to JP03 and JP01 (or Joola with Rhyzm-P, which had very little to do with the original Rhyzms).  Fair enough that Tibhar feel that this is still an Evolution rubber in some way (and it does share some characteristics), but MX-S has arrived there by different means than simply taking MX-P and slightly adjusting it.  They've taken the currently-available ESN gear and come up with MX-S.  

The main difference between MX-S and the original -P range is the lack of catapult.  Combined with the massive grip, you're encouraged to just keep swinging harder and increasing your own wrist snap to load the ball up.  You don't have to worry (or care) so much about sending the ball long.  This rubber wants you to play a full, proper stroke and rewards you with warm hugs and biscuits if you mess up.  It's highly forgiving.

EL-S and FX-S might restore some of the catapult feel, if they ever appear.

-------------

Posted By: qualizon
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 4:35pm
so it sounds more like the requirement of playing a traditional chinese rubber? may be a bit easier to adopt?

-------------
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66012&PID=793739" rel="nofollow - Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69193&PID=839189" rel="nofollow - For Sale

Posted By: Tinykin
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

so it sounds more like the requirement of playing a traditional chinese rubber? may be a bit easier to adopt?

Maybe it's a rubber designed for boosting then?

-------------
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 4:49pm

Yes, I suppose so!  Obviously, without the tack.  But the linear power delivery and high grip does point towards that.  Maybe this is why I've taken to it so quickly.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Maybe it's a rubber designed for boosting then?

It's fast enough for mortal needs, especially on a faster blade than mine.  Unlike MX-P it doesn't have that factory TRF booster smell, so it could be a good candidate for tinkering.  Pros would probably boost it, I guess.

But it's faster than a H3Neo as-is, for example.

-------------

Posted By: haggisv
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 6:22pm
Great review AndySmith Clap

The lack of catapult does make it sound a little more like a Chinese rubber, although on the right blade this might feel very different. Tenergy and the like seem to always feel better on composite blades, so this one may be the same.

-------------
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=page&id=42" rel="nofollow - Tenergy Alternatives | http://tabletennis-reviews.com" rel="nofollow - My TT Articles

Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The lack of catapult does make it sound a little more like a Chinese rubber, although on the right blade this might feel very different. Tenergy and the like seem to always feel better on composite blades, so this one may be the same.

Yes, this is definitely a worry.  I will be putting it on the Hypertouch next week for sure.  Digging through my composites I also have a Waldner Senso Carbon, Calix 2 (and a few other Nexy blades), and an old battered Viscaria on hand, so if anyone wants me to try a specific blade then please pipe up!

-------------

Posted By: bogeyhunter
Date Posted: 04/09/2015 at 10:36pm
You have Tuvalu?

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo

Posted By: Snakefish
Date Posted: 04/10/2015 at 1:21am

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Yes, this is definitely a worry.  I will be putting it on the Hypertouch next week for sure.  Digging through my composites I also have a Waldner Senso Carbon, Calix 2 (and a few other Nexy blades), and an old battered Viscaria on hand, so if anyone wants me to try a specific blade then please pipe up!

Hey Andy,

I use the Hypertouch. Curious to see what your feedback is with MX-S.

I also have a new Waldner Senso Carbon which I haven't tested yet.  If you get the chance.....

I won't be getting my MX-S until another 2 mths

-------------
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max

Date Posted: 04/10/2015 at 1:39pm
Rossi Emotion would be nice, or any of the Vegas.

Can you do a comparison with Big Dipper?  I'm considering a switch - I love tack, but it slows the ball down.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: NoRema
Date Posted: 04/10/2015 at 10:24pm
this rubber is bringing the EJ's out of hibernation 

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70289&title=feedback-norema" rel="nofollow">

Click the picture for feedback ^

Date Posted: 04/10/2015 at 10:44pm
I have taken the plunge. It costs $30 at Dandoy now if you get four.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/10/2015 at 11:47pm
But I couldn't find a red one in 2.1 mm there. 

Date Posted: 04/11/2015 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

But I couldn't find a red one in 2.1 mm there. 

Didn't notice that...

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: TurboZ
Date Posted: 04/11/2015 at 2:01am
The option of 2.1mm for red is there, only out of stock at the moment. Probably take them a week to restock. Better place your order now and join the queue. Unlike TT11 which you can't add anything to the cart if it is out of stock even if you can wait.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53150&title=feedback-turboz - My Feedback

Date Posted: 04/11/2015 at 11:17am
The fact they don't have it in stock is good.  It repressed my nearly dormant EJ virus.  At some point I will try it though. 

Posted By: rajd1234
Date Posted: 04/11/2015 at 11:25am
Hi Andy,

Can you please compare MX-S with MX-P.

-------------
...Rajd...

My feedback url: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72846&PN=1#893078

Posted By: lineup32
Date Posted: 04/11/2015 at 6:12pm
[QUOTE=AndySmith

Summary so far

Positives?  Solidity and control - it's very easy to use, predictable, low catapult and linear.  Good (but not wild) pace.  High spin potential.  Zero feeling of slippage with 40+.  Super easy to vary spin, depth and placement during loop-loop play.  Autopilot when lifting backspin.

Downsides?  The medium arc isn't forgiving of positional problems, so recovery strokes on the run aren't as easy as some rubbers.  And it isn't the fastest rubber around, which makes drives a little weaker (although that will be related to my blade choice to some degree - a faster blade will make this less obvious).  I'm nitpicking here though.
[/QUOTE

Since the 40+ ball spins at a slower rate then the 40C its likely to stay on the table a bit longer then the old ball and has the potential for more revolutions on the table with a  rubber that is slower, gripper and has a lower throw angle say vs a rubber that has a higher throw angles and faster then the slower gripper low throw rubber.  

Posted By: berkeleydoctor
Date Posted: 04/12/2015 at 10:32pm
more thoughts on MX-S? better for FH or BH?

Date Posted: 04/13/2015 at 5:25am
Originally posted by rajd1234 rajd1234 wrote:

Hi Andy,

Can you please compare MX-S with MX-P.

MX-S has higher grip, less bouncy, a bit slower overall, lower throw.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/13/2015 at 5:30am
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

more thoughts on MX-S? better for FH or BH?

I used it for a while at a tournament at the weekend.  I wasn't happy with how I played at all, but why that happened is a mixture of many things.

One thing I will say is that MX-S seems to be a rubber which requires a specific approach to play.  Having spend a season using Big Dipper, it seems that my FH stroke has gone back to being very brushy.  So I found that I was happy with MX-S while up at the table and taking the ball early, but when forced out of position or away I struggled to get the ball arc high enough to keep the rally going.  But this could easily be caused by blade choice (too slow) and the brushy stroke thing.  I really want to try it on a few different blades now, which I will hopefully start to do tonight.

-------------

Posted By: viktorovich
Date Posted: 04/13/2015 at 7:43am
 Apparently: MX-S and Power Grip -  they are not distant relatives.

Posted By: carmelomaf
Date Posted: 04/14/2015 at 3:50pm
i play mxp since it came out

today i tested the mxs and compared with the mxp on the same blade both in black max and both on FH

RH elp red max

sponge is not so porose like mxp and elp and is much harder but the topsheet is much softer

it remember me a h3

it plays totally different in comparison with the mxp, it has lower trampoline effect, higher arc, lower speed, more spin but is not easy to play with

needs good footwork and needs good technique.

-------------
Tibhar MX-P 50 Max| BTY Boll ALC FL | Tibhar MX-S Max

an Italian playing TT in Germany

Posted By: BaiMile
Date Posted: 04/15/2015 at 5:53am
If it is similar to H3, why on earth would someone pay double the price?

Date Posted: 04/15/2015 at 6:44am
Originally posted by BaiMile BaiMile wrote:

If it is similar to H3, why on earth would someone pay double the price?

Don't be misled - it's still a euro rubber.  It does have some of the hard Chinese characteristics - linear, low-bounce, super grip.  It requires good positioning and a committed stroke.

But it's a lot faster and (crucially) not tacky.  It's more like a super-solid and reliable ESN rubber than a H3 copy.  It just shares some basic properties.

My training night was cancelled this week, so I don't have anything new to report.  carmelomaf's post above sounds right to me.  You need good, clean technique to get the most out of MX-S - I struggled with it when under pressure, despite it feeling awesome when training

Something similar I've been using recently is Omega V Asia which I find less demanding to use when out of position (although it isn't as linear and suffers a bit in the short game and when blocking in comparison).

-------------

Date Posted: 04/15/2015 at 7:34am
How does it compare to Big Dipper, Andy?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/15/2015 at 9:09am

How does it compare to Big Dipper, Andy?

This is a comparison I really wanted to make after one more session.  I actually slapped BD on my spare Hypertouch to allow a direct comparison, but the session was cancelled.

In general terms, both rubbers feel like hybrids in their own way, but end up being really different.  BD is the classic Chinese tacky experience, but with a more euro flavour coming from the sponge and thin, elastic topsheet.  MX-S starts off as a general ESN rubber, but the harder (grippy) topsheet and unboosted sponge makes everything feel very linear, solid and low-bounce.  So BD feels "a bit" euro and MX-S feels "a bit" chinese, but end up being different rather than meeting in the middle somewhere.

Honestly - I don't think MX-S is going to be my thing.  Better players than I with more textbook technique will no doubt love it.  With BD I get a feeling that I can stay in a rally, even if I'm on the edge of what I can do in terms of movement and stroke.  I can drive low or brush to send the ball high.  With MX-S I feel like I can drive or counter anything, lift any backspin, but I have to be right in position to do it.  When I'm on the stretch, a brushy shot results in good spin but no arc or lift.  EL-S or FX-S might work more for me, if they ever appear.

I also get a vague feeling that a tacky topsheet on an MX-S sponge would be something wonderful to behold, and then we would be in the right area for a comparison with BD.  But then BD would hammer it on price, so...

-------------

Date Posted: 04/16/2015 at 8:15am
The things I've said about MX-S are really very (independently) close to RoyPip's review of Rakza X in this thread:

http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67391&PN=2#868447" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67391&PN=2#868447

-------------

Date Posted: 04/16/2015 at 8:29am
Andy,

Someone said the same thing about Rasant PowerGrip as well.  It seems that ESN has one generation of rubbers like this.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/16/2015 at 8:37am

Andy,

Someone said the same thing about Rasant PowerGrip as well.  It seems that ESN has one generation of rubbers like this.

Definitely possible.  This tempts me to try Rakza X Soft, but I bet the new Acuda P1/2/3 range is similar too (Donic mentions the lower arc in their marketing blurb), so I might wait for Tibi to get stock in May and try P2 and P3.

-------------

Posted By: beeray1
Date Posted: 04/16/2015 at 8:57pm
I'm curious to hear a direct comparison of Evolution MX-S and Rasant Grip. 

Posted By: igszoctan
Date Posted: 04/16/2015 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I'm curious to hear a direct comparison of Evolution MX-S and Rasant Grip. 

+1

Powergrip too, pls.

-------------
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour

Posted By: TurboZ
Date Posted: 04/17/2015 at 10:05am
Just got my MX-S with Force Pro Black today. It is exactly like what Andy Smith have said, and only amplified by the hard 7 ply Force Pro Black. Yet it is very precises and direct with no uncertainty whatsoever thanks to the high grip. That is exactly what the Tibhar number 1 man Samsonov is famous for.

MX-S is not bouncy in the world of tensor. But I bet it will get better after some use. In fact it is not the least bouncy modern rubber for the new ball. The Nittaku Alhelg is more dead when new. It is true that the modern tensor or similars are getting certain degree of restraint in catapult to favour short game. But when you put in your own power they will all go like rocket. So more gear is always better than fast alone.  

RX is similar in hardness but bounce a tad higher than MX-S. And it feels softer and livelier in play. Both Andro Powergrip and Grip packs more punch. Certainly above all the rubbers mentioned above.  

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53150&title=feedback-turboz - My Feedback

Date Posted: 04/20/2015 at 4:49am
I squeezed in another session with MX-S.

Put it on the Hypertouch.  Massive difference.  My Pure Wood is obviously a slower blade, but this was still a bit of a shock.  I've moved lots of rubbers between these two blades and I've never had a difference this noticeable before.  MX-S was a LOT faster, while still remaining medium-low throw and very linear.

Then switched it to a Waldner Senso Carbon, where it was a touch slower than the Hypertouch, and thankfully a bit higher throw.  It remains a laser-sharp tool though, and I think you have to accept that this rubber suits a particular lowish-arc style of play.

If anyone ever doubts the effect a blade can have on playing characteristics, this is the rubber to show them how wrong that is.  I wouldn't say it's blade-sensitive as such, but it definitely pushes the blade properties right to the front.  I don't have a 7-ply all wood unfortunately.  I bet it would be a crushing weapon on a clipper.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/21/2015 at 12:25am
Got my sheets today - did a quick but not so tight glue job with it on my Samsonov Force Pro. I tested it alongside Adidas P7.  It was weird.  The spin is definitely special - my blocker was complaining about it.  I'm going to glue it again and try it tomorrow.  It has excellent control but doesn't give easy spin if you are out of position.  I hit with my blocker's Tenergy and that reminded me of what easy spin felt like when out of position.

The one place where I definitely disagree with Andy is on the boosting.  I smelt a heavy dose of booster on my sheet like MX-P.  I'm also 95% sure that this rubber and Rasant Grip come from the same family.

I'm going to take Andy's suggestion seriously and try it one of my Force Pro Black Editions.  See how that goes.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 04/21/2015 at 12:59am
Next Level, once you start making opening loops with less solid contact, you will love FX-P on your current blade.

Until then, from Tibhar Family I think only Aurus will suit you.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 04/21/2015 at 4:38am

The one place where I definitely disagree with Andy is on the boosting.  I smelt a heavy dose of booster on my sheet like MX-P.  I'm also 95% sure that this rubber and Rasant Grip come from the same family.

That surprises me.  The booster smell I recall is the one you find on the original Bluefire M range, which is also on the original Evolutions (and Joola MAXX, and a few others of course).  MX-S just smells of rubber to me, like Tenzone Ultra, Rhyzm, Tibhar Q and so on.  I don't discount the possibility that my sense of smell has been destroyed by years of constant colds and flus kindly brought home by my plague-bearing children though.

-------------

Posted By: *_strataras_*
Date Posted: 04/21/2015 at 4:50am
About factory tuning talking, I noticed that I had my racket in its case for about 2 weeks if i remember right and my MX-P was new.I put it at that time in an old case which the interior was from plastic and it is not like the new ones (butterfly etc), which are breathing a little.After I opened the case,which didnt let the rubbers to breath, I saw wetness on the sheet which was something oily and on the case that the rubber was touching too.This happened last year, and at that time didnt have any idea that they are factory tuned.On the other hand the EL-P had nothing.So the MX-P is 100% factory tuned, Idk about the other evolutions.

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74157&title=feedback-strataras" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Posted By: manraid
Date Posted: 04/21/2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

About factory tuning talking, I noticed that I had my racket in its case for about 2 weeks if i remember right and my MX-P was new.I put it at that time in an old case which the interior was from plastic and it is not like the new ones (butterfly etc), which are breathing a little.After I opened the case,which didnt let the rubbers to breath, I saw wetness on the sheet which was something oily and on the case that the rubber was touching too.This happened last year, and at that time didnt have any idea that they are factory tuned.On the other hand the EL-P had nothing.So the MX-P is 100% factory tuned, Idk about the other evolutions.

i have an mx-p new uncut sheet and i put in its case in a bag
is it useful to make the rubber breath ?

N.B. my rubber sheet is in its original case and not yet opened

-------------
MJ SZLC ST

FH Hurricane 8 2.15m Black
BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

Date Posted: 04/22/2015 at 7:25am

Got my sheets today - did a quick but not so tight glue job with it on my Samsonov Force Pro. I tested it alongside Adidas P7.  It was weird.  The spin is definitely special - my blocker was complaining about it.  I'm going to glue it again and try it tomorrow.  It has excellent control but doesn't give easy spin if you are out of position.  I hit with my blocker's Tenergy and that reminded me of what easy spin felt like when out of position.

I'm going to take Andy's suggestion seriously and try it one of my Force Pro Black Editions.  See how that goes.

So many people love the Force Pro Black Edition - I have tried my best to understand that blade but I cannot. This blade is a perfect candidate for the Beast Mode modification.  Will probably weigh 800g after, but at least the balance will make sense.

I put MX-S back on my current blade and will play with that for a while.  Damn Force Pro Black wasted my whole training day...

That said, MX-S is very spinny... I just don't get the throw/arc.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/22/2015 at 8:25am

That said, MX-S is very spinny... I just don't get the throw/arc.

I feel the same way.  During training I feel like a titan.  During actual match play I can't keep on top of the ball enough to be effective.

Maybe this is one of those rubbers which suits drive-based players with quick feet.  High-level juniors and the like.  It would certainly sort out any grip issues a current Rhyzm user would be experiencing, for example.  I think vic_the_cleaner would love it.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/22/2015 at 8:42am
They should call it MX-D then...

But seriously, its extremely heavy in weight too... Wipes Big Dipper in 38 deg off the map.but the spin is so good I will give it at least another week (which probably means another month)...

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: GSOM_GSOM11
Date Posted: 04/22/2015 at 7:11pm
Is MX-S smth like Palio Thors - heavy spin, extreme grip, hard tensor sponge, crack sound and lightning speed when you go for a max-power loopdrive? 
Did anyone try it on Barwell or any other blade with hard outer ply?

Posted By: LOOPMEISTER
Date Posted: 04/22/2015 at 10:59pm
I'm curious about this rubber, but I'm confused about why people are asking if it's similar to rasant grip/power grip .... IMO mxp and elp have zero in common with rasant power grip.

-------------

Posted By: igszoctan
Date Posted: 04/23/2015 at 1:06am
...as for me..because RPG is perfect and I wanna know if - more perfect - exists or not?Wacko

-------------
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour

Date Posted: 04/23/2015 at 6:36am
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

I'm curious about this rubber, but I'm confused about why people are asking if it's similar to rasant grip/power grip .... IMO mxp and elp have zero in common with rasant power grip.

MX-S is very different from MX-P etc.  I tried Rasant Grip and it's pretty similar IMO.  I never tried PowerGrip but I would be surprised if it was that different - maybe slightly higher or lower throw, who knows, but still similar.

What is bothering me about MX-S now is that the throw messes with how I think about my safety/backspin loops so I have to fix aspects of my technique on my forehand side.  It's like the rubber is exposing all my technical stroke deficiencies.  Which is a good thing, I guess.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/24/2015 at 1:38pm
So I gave MX-S another try and the rubber is good for away from the table players who like long trajectory, medium/low throw rubbers.  It rewards great timing and upward movement in your stroke more than say Tenergy or Hurricane 3, which encourage you to come forward more than upward.  The bottom line is that anyone looking for a Tenergy 05 substitute should not waste their money.  This is more of a Calibra LT+ type rubber.

I am going to stick with it for a bit because I think that it has exposed a lot of things that I need to fix on my forehand.  But it's purely developmental - I think few players would feel very comfortable with this rubber with all the pressure it places on the timing in your game.  Therefore, other than the immense spin, I have to not recommend this rubber to people looking for a good rubber to use to play a comfortable game unless they have really good timing and technique on whichever side they want to use it.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/24/2015 at 5:40pm

So I gave MX-S another try 

If MX-S does not work for you and if you're looking for a MX-P like rubber (similar hardness, grip level & topsheet type) but slower but with a lot more control, I recommend Rakza X. Slightly slower than Tenergy 05 and a shade less spinny but this rubber is today's Mark V in control. With the new tensors selling in low 30s nowadays (post-discounts), their prices have become very competitive with DHS.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: berkeleydoctor
Date Posted: 04/24/2015 at 5:51pm

So I gave MX-S another try and the rubber is good for away from the table players who like long trajectory, medium/low throw rubbers.  It rewards great timing and upward movement in your stroke more than say Tenergy or Hurricane 3, which encourage you to come forward more than upward.  The bottom line is that anyone looking for a Tenergy 05 substitute should not waste their money.  This is more of a Calibra LT+ type rubber.

I am going to stick with it for a bit because I think that it has exposed a lot of things that I need to fix on my forehand.  But it's purely developmental - I think few players would feel very comfortable with this rubber with all the pressure it places on the timing in your game.  Therefore, other than the immense spin, I have to not recommend this rubber to people looking for a good rubber to use to play a comfortable game unless they have really good timing and technique on whichever side they want to use it.

this is exactly why i just bought 2 sheets of this. i want to exaggerate my bad strokes and my good strokes so i can work on the bad ones and mx-s will rewards me or punish me according to my timing and technique!

Date Posted: 04/24/2015 at 5:53pm
MX-S has become the strangest piece of training equipment I've ever seen.

-------------

Posted By: puyol
Date Posted: 04/27/2015 at 7:17am
Weren't the Evolution series rubbers HCP (Hybrid Construction Project), and thus not entirely, or not at all, ESN?

Date Posted: 04/27/2015 at 10:53am
Originally posted by puyol puyol wrote:

Weren't the Evolution series rubbers HCP (Hybrid Construction Project), and thus not entirely, or not at all, ESN?

Marketing rubbish IMO.  It's 100% ESN-made.  The best you can say is that it was made with some input from experts in the Japanese manufacturing industry - topsheet specs, pimple geometry, that kind of thing.  Victas have tried a similar thing in recent times with their "German-Japanese Cooperation" blurb, but these are NOT Japanese topsheets stuck on to German sponges IMO.  Perhaps you could describe them as ESN rubbers which are made to emulate a Japanese feel.  If so, the Victas rubbers are more successful.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/27/2015 at 5:55pm

I think I am at a stage where I would recommend this rubber, but I would dissuade anyone looking for a Tenergy 05 substitute from taking it too seriously - a Calibra LT+ lover who wants a real rubber should take a good look at this.  If I tried it again, I would probably get it in 1.9mm as I am sure that would help with the weight and control issues.  But it's going to be a great rubber for some people.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/27/2015 at 6:07pm

I think I am at a stage where I would recommend this rubber, but I would dissuade anyone looking for a Tenergy 05 substitute from taking it too seriously - a Calibra LT+ lover who wants a real rubber should take a good look at this.  If I tried it again, I would probably get it in 1.9mm as I am sure that would help with the weight and control issues.  But it's going to be a great rubber for some people.

Totally agree.  It's not for me though.  I had an absolute blast with H8 tonight, so MX-S gets the ebay elbow treatment.

-------------

Posted By: koshkin
Date Posted: 04/27/2015 at 6:13pm
Having gone through this thread, i can't help but think that the MX-S is somewhat similar to the Victas VS-402 I currently use on my FH.

I suppose I'll have to get a sheet and try it.

In the glue days I used Tibhar Rapid X-Press: hard sponge, extremely grippy topsheet and low/medium throw.  Ever since gluing went illegal I have been trying to find something similar with minimal luck.  I have retrained myself to use T80 on the BH, but on the FH, when pushed, I still automatically revert to my original stroke that is a lot more vertical than modern high throw rubbers like.

Xiom Tau does not do too well with that stroke.  None of the Tenergies do.  Victas VS-402 is not bad, but MX-S sounds like it might do the trick.

ILya

-------------
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Date Posted: 04/27/2015 at 6:13pm

Totally agree.  It's not for me though.  I had an absolute blast with H8 tonight, so MX-S gets the ebay elbow treatment.
Chinese FH, Chinese BH, Waldner blade???

Table tennis truly knows no country...

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/28/2015 at 4:47am

Chinese FH, Chinese BH, Waldner blade???

Table tennis truly knows no country...

If you had told me 12 months ago that this is where I would end up, I would have laughed in your face.  And yet here we are.  There is a strange symmetry to this - 22 years ago my first "proper" setup was a Tibhar Rapid Carbon with 729-FX on both sides.  The new DHS rubbers are a nice surprise, and the slight tack of these two in particular helps me a lot when moving between cell and plastic.  It helps a bit when I've got less than adequate position or timing (which is most of the time tbf).

-------------

Posted By: Bran
Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 6:09am
I'm now playing with the MX-S in my FH instead of the T05 I've had for two years.

I agree mostly with what's been said: it's significantly heavier, less bouncy, more grippy than T05. It's slower at low speed, quite dead actually, and also more powerful, faster in the top gear.

It's better controlled in passive game and for blocking, very precise when attacking, but it's more demanding away from the table – the arc is lower and it's less bouncy, so it needs more commitment. I struggle a bit more in loop on loop as the ball goes into the net, I think it's something to get used to.

It does play a bit like a boosted Chinese rubber, but without the flat hitting problem. It's absolutely lethal on smashes.

Overall it's a very good rubber, though more demanding than T05 for power loopers. I just wish it was lighter and a tad bouncier, with the same grip.

Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 9:00am
What blade do you use, Bran?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 10:11am
Rossi Emotion.

Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 4:08pm
I'm considering trying it on the Hypertouch. I really didn't like the flex back then, but it could make up for the deadness of the rubber.

I tried a boosted MX-S on a Viscaria Light, it felt easier to play, partly due to the extra flex.

Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 4:12pm
That's part of the reason I asked.  Maybe it might do okay on a stiff blade in some fast hands, but it does best for me on my ALL/ALL+ Appelgren AR.  I get something much more like the arc I am looking for and I have the dwell to drive the ball hard and get decent dip (not Tenergy 05, but the shot feels safe despite not having the usual arc).  And the spin is massive as always.

Would like to hear more of your thoughts over time since you are coming straight from T05.  I don't think as a T05 user I could have persevered with this rubber - it forces me to do a stroke everytime I use it if I want to put my opponent in danger.  T05 allows for more laziness.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: qualizon
Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

I'm considering trying it on the Hypertouch. I really didn't like the flex back then, but it could make up for the deadness of the rubber.

I tried a boosted MX-S on a Viscaria Light, it felt easier to play, partly due to the extra flex.

with a boosted MX-S, would it feel more like MX-P ?

-------------
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66012&PID=793739" rel="nofollow - Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69193&PID=839189" rel="nofollow - For Sale

Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 7:59pm

Would like to hear more of your thoughts over time since you are coming straight from T05.  I don't think as a T05 user I could have persevered with this rubber - it forces me to do a stroke everytime I use it if I want to put my opponent in danger.  T05 allows for more laziness.

Do you mean you wouldn't have been able to go on with the T05 or with the MX-S? I'm confused by your sentence on the T05 while you say you use the MX-S now.

I've said most of what I could about the two rubbers, so I'm just gonna rephrase and expand.

Nutshell comparison: extra power but less lively. Better on blocking and power shots but worse away from the table. Equivalent in short game. Very heavy.

My FH is focused around speed and power, trying to finish as early as I can. I'm not too concerned about the behaviour in slow loops, but I do care about how it reacts when power looping, in speed and for spin.

My feedback was that my loops were at least as fast, and about as spinny, maybe a little less. I found no clear difference in the dip after a loop. So it's pretty good for this. However, to reach the same speed, I need to work a bit harder than with the T05, and I'm a little worried this could be an issue in tight spots or when I tense up.

Max speed is faster, if only because the extra weight mechanically makes me swing harder. The power on full-out smashes really impressed me, though obviously you don't get to use that a lot.

Blocking feels easier than with T05 because of the deadness and the extra weight. Feels a bit like or neutralises the incoming spin. Incidentally, it also made my BH block more stable.

Short game quality is similar to T05, for both touch and flick. Serves are fine too, no major adaptation time.

Counters are fine, again the deadness of the rubber makes me want to swing harder to get the same easy speed as with T05, but possibly the control is better.

Again, away from the table, bit harder to play than T05. It's a matter of habit but my second counterloop rarely made it above the net. For some reason the first one was often in the net.

Date Posted: 05/27/2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

Do you mean you wouldn't have been able to go on with the T05 or with the MX-S? I'm confused by your sentence on the T05 while you say you use the MX-S now.

I've said most of what I could about the two rubbers, so I'm just gonna rephrase and expand.

Nutshell comparison: extra power but less lively. Better on blocking and power shots but worse away from the table. Equivalent in short game. Very heavy.

My FH is focused around speed and power, trying to finish as early as I can. I'm not too concerned about the behaviour in slow loops, but I do care about how it reacts when power looping, in speed and for spin.

My feedback was that my loops were at least as fast, and about as spinny, maybe a little less. I found no clear difference in the dip after a loop. So it's pretty good for this. However, to reach the same speed, I need to work a bit harder than with the T05, and I'm a little worried this could be an issue in tight spots or when I tense up.

Max speed is faster, if only because the extra weight mechanically makes me swing harder. The power on full-out smashes really impressed me, though obviously you don't get to use that a lot.

Blocking feels easier than with T05 because of the deadness and the extra weight. Feels a bit like or neutralises the incoming spin. Incidentally, it also made my BH block more stable.

Short game quality is similar to T05, for both touch and flick. Serves are fine too, no major adaptation time.

Counters are fine, again the deadness of the rubber makes me want to swing harder to get the same easy speed as with T05, but possibly the control is better.

Again, away from the table, bit harder to play than T05. It's a matter of habit but my second counterloop rarely made it above the net. For some reason the first one was often in the net.

Thanks for the comments.  How long have you been using MX-S?  Have you played with it competitively?

I came to MX-S from Big Dipper so I was already used to swinging fairly hard with a slower rubber (I have no used T05 on the FH with the plastic ball).  However, the first thing I noticed with MX-S was that it threw lower than Big Dipper and P7 (which I bought at the same time) and by logical inference lower than Tenergy 05.  This bothered me for a while but I couldn't get over the massive spin. I also didn't like the lack of easy spin - with higher throw rubbers, you can lob the ball onto the table fairly safely when out of position, and with T05/P7, you could get decent spin with a short stroke.  Not the case with MX-S.

But the massive spin... the rubber also made many of the issues with my forehand strokes glaringly obvious as I started missing shots that I used to make with bad technique with Big Dipper.  But that massive spin...

So I liked the rubber but didn't like the fact that too many of my shots were going long unless I stepped a yard back from the table.  Then I bought 1.9mm and that didn't solve it.  Then I moved it to my slower blade and that made the rubber make sense.  I could get the dip and the trajectory I was looking for on brushes and power swings.

I did a lot of work on rebuilding my forehand while I used Big Dipper so I was eager to go back to an European rubber and the EJ in me said to not start with T05, which is where I expect to end up anyway.   I think at this point, I'm sticking with it more with MX-S because I think that the forehand issues it revealed need to be worked on and that as I get better at them, they will all transfer over to T05 easily.  But I seriously doubt I could have switched from T05 to MX-S.  I compared MX-S on my BH to P7 (my BH is my stronger side) and while MX-S produced the heavier spin, P7 repeatedly produced the higher throw and trajectory.  T05 would be like P7 with more spin.

So I just find it interesting that someone actually could use MX-S and consider switching and I want to see where you end up on the long term.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 05/28/2015 at 2:41am
I've played with it for about 15h and I've got a competition in a few weeks. This will be the test, if I don't revert in between.

I'm not entirely sold yet, I may well change after this sheet (back to T05 or off to try something else).

My technique isn't bad and I hit hard enough at the table to not be too bothered by the throw. It was more obvious mid-distance, but it could also be that my timing is still off there, since I play close most of the time.

The weight was the main thing to get used to for me, it changed the balance and affected my timing.

Date Posted: 05/28/2015 at 3:10am

With a boosted MX-S, would it feel more like MX-P ?

Not sure, the top sheet is different for sure, so it's hard to tell. I haven't really tried the MX-P.

Date Posted: 05/28/2015 at 8:01am
While I haven't tried MX-S yet, from the comments above, it seems that 
  • the rubber is a bit harder to play with than MX-P
  • feels more dead
  • has low throw that is more difficult to deal with from mid-distance.

Since you've all tried MX-S, I'd love to hear of your comparison after trying another 50 degree, same generation rubber (as MX-S): the Bluefire M1 Turbo.

To me, the M1 Turbo does not feel dead on slow shots. It's speed is about as fast as Tenergy 05 (so a bit slower than M1 / MX-P). It is super grippy (grippier than M1 and more spin). And, it is not low throw (a bit lower than T05, about the same as MX-P). It is one of the easiest rubbers I've played with for looping underspin.

You can sign up for a free trial here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71281&title=tabletennis11-rubber-testing-signup" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71281&title=tabletennis11-rubber-testing-signup

and then, post your reviews here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71383&title=tabletennis11-rubber-testing-reviews" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71383&title=tabletennis11-rubber-testing-reviews

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: zheyi
Date Posted: 05/29/2015 at 1:58am
Many has say its easy to transit from chinese rubber. But How.is.it.that a low throw rubber compare to a high throw of e.g. A hurricane3? Im puzzled.

Date Posted: 05/29/2015 at 9:12am
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

Many has say its easy to transit from chinese rubber. But How.is.it.that a low throw rubber compare to a high throw of e.g. A hurricane3? Im puzzled.

It spins better as you drive harder and it can be very precise on drives.  It's when you brush lightly that the issues show up.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Clarence247
Date Posted: 05/30/2015 at 10:04pm

Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

It spins better as you drive harder and it can be very precise on drives.  It's when you brush lightly that the issues show up.

I saw you have some experience with the Adidas P7 - 

Could you directly compare MX-S to P7 as a FH rubber? In my country, this season was played with the celluloid (old) ball, but as from next season it will be plastic... I am thinking sticking to P7 should still give me good spin because it's one of the spinniest rubbers out there - but I am not sure because my experience with the new ball is limited. I have seen you made references to the P7 - and some players told me that MX-S is like Rasant Grip - verrrryyy spinny, good rubber, controllable - but a lot less forgiving than P7.

Another question - if the MX-S is soooo grippy, does this also make it sooo much more touchy vs very spinny slow shots? 

Rakza 7 is rather grippy and for this reason vs a slow spinny loop it's really sensitive... more than P7 for some reason - with P7 you can opt to drive through the ball if needed. 

-------------
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP

Date Posted: 05/30/2015 at 10:37pm
For pure spin, MX-S is heavier. I think Rasant Grip is a good comp though MX-S probably throws a little higher. The thing about MX-S is that it doesnt play like P7. MX-S has the T05 spin but P7 has the easy spin and throw of T05.

MX-S takes more energy and it requires you to adjust to the the throw and commit to more shots. If you spin more or sometimes waffle, P7. If you want to just kill a ball with no regard for human life, both work, but MX-S does it with crazy spin. If you want to loop drive a ball but want to feel safe, P7. If you want to loop drive a ball and make it even though it feels impossible, MX-S. If you don't want to swing hard all the time P7. If you like to swing hard and don't want to go to heaven before you get rewarded, MX-S.

For the first time today, I used MX-S and T05 back to back (sadly on different blades). I swing really hard (for someone without knees) and I think that for people who like hard contact, MX-S is a blessing amongst Euro rubbers.

Handling slow spinny shots is technique but if you like hard contact on your punch blocks, MX-S is your friend. The lower throw also means you get more linear blocks.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Clarence247
Date Posted: 05/31/2015 at 3:09am
@ NextLevel - thanks for the great comparison - it really did give me a clear picture of what to expect and I am leaning towards sticking to my Adidas P7 next season and trying to see if I am satisfied with the spin.

One thing confuses me about what is being said about the MX-S ... many people are saying the throw is considerably lower than P7 or T05, however it is said to be the best 3rd ball attack (especially vs backspin) rubber at the moment... Wouldn't you need the relative high throw as well as lots of spin and a degree of forgiveness to make a "best 3rd ball" rubber? I mean if it lifts back spin so effortlessly - and consistently, then the throw cannot be that low... if it were medium-low throw, then the instances where you hit the next in match play would increase... 

the most important factor for me in a FH rubber is the 3rd ball vs heavy underspin (because I serve HEAVY underspin with little deception to get a predictable 3rd ball) 

From you description it seems to really fit the bill but then again the throw is worrying me in that I might be less consistent even though the result will be more deadly...

this happened to me when I tried Nittaku H3 boosted.... basically the 3rd ball is better than the P7 when it lands - but there is a 5% difference in the amount than make it over the net because P7 is more forgiving - with H3 to get the "high throw" of H3 you must contact perfectly... I am getting the feeling MX-S is more the H3 boosted type than the T05 type (in fact you rightly pointed out that MX-S is not a T05 substitute and is very different also to the P7)

-------------
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP

Date Posted: 05/31/2015 at 3:50am
Stick with your P7.  I have no doubt that any issues with MX-S can be fixed with practice and/or thinner sponge (I have started to embrace 2.0 more) because the sponge is pretty hard, but it's not as easy as plug and play.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net