Print Page | Close Window

Favourite short pips?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7111
Printed Date: 05/05/2024 at 12:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favourite short pips?
Posted By: arsenal
Subject: Favourite short pips?
Date Posted: 07/02/2006 at 9:54am
what is you Favourite short pips? and what make it so good?

Replies:
Posted By: Braveheart
Date Posted: 07/02/2006 at 9:57am
Mine is very good for control and easy attack !

-------------
Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack

Posted By: Indonesia5000
Date Posted: 07/02/2006 at 10:18am
802-40 good spin and great speed

-------------
blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra, Gatien Carbon cpen
FH: Globe999 on dhs #20 BH: SST Cross

Posted By: ttman
Date Posted: 07/02/2006 at 11:05am
marlon wayans

-------------

Posted By: Shalashashka
Date Posted: 07/02/2006 at 11:29am
Verne Troyer

-------------
Extra Rorin.

Posted By: lildudejds
Date Posted: 07/02/2006 at 11:30am
i dont think pimps can have short ones

-------------
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX

Posted By: azrin
Date Posted: 07/02/2006 at 11:56pm

DHS sharping 1.8, 35deg sponge....very good for slap ball, lowered arc trajectory, blade feeling, accurate placement, good for service receive, able to create ample spin, produce good chops and blocks, cheap price tag, can be deceptive at times (knuckle ball movement). just my 2 cents...   

Posted By: master-pong
Date Posted: 07/03/2006 at 3:35am
Originally posted by ttman ttman wrote:

marlon wayans

Pfff. he's like a total n00b

Posted By: NaDeR
Date Posted: 07/06/2006 at 4:07pm

Hey .

What is the pips please?//???

maybe we have another name for it.

Posted By: joey5867
Date Posted: 07/06/2006 at 11:25pm
I like Clippa and Challenger Attack.  I'm not a short pips user but from all the short pips out rubber that I've used Clippa and Challenger Attack are the better ones to attack.

-------------
BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0

Posted By: GuoZheng
Date Posted: 07/07/2006 at 3:25am
Butterfly Challenger Attack

-------------
BLADE:TIMO BOLL SPIRIT
RUBBERS:BOTH SRIVER MAX

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 07/07/2006 at 3:36am

stiga radical, royal andbtty raystorm

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: Shoebox9
Date Posted: 07/07/2006 at 9:06am

What is it about short pips rubbers that every single player likes a different one?

I'm sure there are more users than short pips choices, but it doesn't seem that way on these forums.

Posted By: TT_Freak
Date Posted: 07/07/2006 at 11:39am
Its mostly the different feel that some of the pips rubbers have with blades. Some people like the quasi-inverted feel whilst the old school hitters would like the fast and dead feel.

-------------
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle

Date Posted: 07/07/2006 at 10:31pm

One day, when my skill level is high enough, I'd like to play with short pips.

My reason would be max speed- as it seems some of these new tensioned short pip rubbers are the fastest thing you could put on a blade.

I'd also want spinny short pips so I could use more of that speed, & still keep the ball on the table.  For this reason I've got my eye on Tango Ultra as a starting point.  One guy with glued Bryce on f/h, & Tango Ultra on b/h said his b/h played faster.  Amazing if true?!

Posted By: fortunateluck
Date Posted: 07/08/2006 at 7:39am

Tango Ultra, ha.. wow!!   Never tried them, but i should..  How about spin?

Right now, I am using TSP Spectol21, but I use different one everytime i change. Here is a summary of my own personal review of few of them:

- Radical:  love or hate. when i used this, it seemed to create some changes to the ball that the opponents had trouble returning, especially blocking loops and spinning attacks. A lot of people got confused when i used this rubber, expecially this one chopper who said he didn't know what was going on. Now i don't use it anymore, but he still talks about his coufusion with my pips effect. But, it was also more difficult for me to control, and made me error more. I found it to be slower than the others i tried. Advantage is that it is available at more places - dandoy, paddle palace, pingpong online..- and not as expensive as... rubbers such as raystorm. speed=7, spin=7.5, control=6, power=8.5 effect=9

- Raystorm: Good control, soft feel, and decent speed although the 1.9mm i tried was not as fast as I would have liked (at the time of my purchase max was not available there). I would still try out the max sponge, but the main downside of this rubber is the cost. I would exhaust my research of all the others rubbers before settling on this one.. Good spin is perhaps the best quality of this rubber as you can put decent amount of spin and attack the low ball, but the spin is relative and maybe overrated, because spin can work against you - opponents spin such as the serve or loop will also work on this rubber, making it more difficult to control defeating the purpose of the pip out usage. But, it's a good middle choice between straight pips and inverted - best of both worlds or worst of both, take your pick. speed=8, spin=9, control=9, power=8, effect=7

- Moristo SP: I used it before i came to the US, but is not available here (US). It is similar to raystorm, perhaps a bit faster, which is the reason why i liked it. Excellent spin and control. still the double edged sword still applies here. If paddle palace decide to peddle it, perhaps it will be a hit, depending on how they price it. speed=9, spin=9, control=9, power=8.5, effect=7

Spectol21: My current setup. Spectol has been around for a long time and is a popular choice item by past champions. Now it comes with a choice of 21 sponge which is TSP's way of dealing with the bigger ball size. However, the old sponge is still very popular.  I find this rubber a decent choice for pips out play. Similar to now discontinued Bty impartial, the control, speed and power are all awesome, and is not too expensive although not cheap. Downside is that it is not so widely available as TSP in general is not, at least here in the US. It is not as easy to generate spin with this rubber as the other more spin oriented rubbers, but some past champions have mastered the ways to do it. So, spin can be generated although not as much and with much hard work and practice. However, because the rubber is not as sensitive to spin as the likes of raystorm or moristo sp, it is easy to control opponent's spin. Therefore you go around the double edged sword, in a round about kinda way - depending on how well You can generate spin with this rubber. Here is the best part - besides good control, the blocks and smashes have power. Perhaps most powerful of them all - as the true pips out rubber is meant to be. speed=9, spin=6, control=8.5, power=9.5, effect=7

Before the ball size change, I was TSP Spinpips user, but somehow after the change and whatever they did to the rubber because it was illegal or something, it's just not the same anymore. But, i am still open to try the new super spin pips. The rubber that i am going to try next is Hammond FA.

hmm.. turned out to be a long post..

-cheers

Date Posted: 07/08/2006 at 7:45am

Please be advised that the rating numbers i used are not in relation to inverted rubbers, but in relation to the pips out rubbers themselves.

-cheers

Posted By: lilactime031
Date Posted: 07/08/2006 at 7:49pm

I play with Spectol 21 in my bh. (1,8mm)

For me is the better short pip in the marcet right now. This new 21 sponge makes the rubber not so controlable like the spectol version with the  old sponge but from the other side the 21 rubber can easily loop the oponent chop and back spin. So it depends if you want to attack the oponent chops with top spin or to hit them.

If you want to top spin them then the Spectol 21 is very good, if you want to hit ( or just play chop and block from your backhand) then normal version is better.

All these are ok if you play with pimple in rubbet in your fh and with short pip in your backhand.

If you want to create big problems to your oponent then you should try the Tibhar Speedy Soft DTech version. It's vey tricky and not much difficalt to conrol it. With this you will not have the stability of otger pips but with a good fh loop or smash to win the point you are surly going to win better players than you.

In case you are penholder then the better choise is short pips like TSP SpinPips, It's very tacky and you can loop very east with this.

I mostly prefer the TSP pip rubbers from all the others. Especiallty TSP is the favorite short pip of the Chinese national team players.

Bty short pips are not bad (Challenger and Raystorm are very good) but when i play with Raystorm i feel that somethind missing from this rubber. Something which has to do with the problems which a short pip generate to the oponent and in Raystorm case these problems are not so much. 

-------------
e-pingpongshop

Posted By: ttman
Date Posted: 07/08/2006 at 8:06pm
802-40 is spinpips

-------------

Date Posted: 07/08/2006 at 10:16pm
how do u know?

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 07/08/2006 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by fortunateluck fortunateluck wrote:

how do u know?

tang peng plays with hammond fa

Date Posted: 07/09/2006 at 7:01am

who is tang peng?

Posted By: Patmandidily
Date Posted: 07/09/2006 at 9:43pm
Tang Peng's a Chinese guy who plays with short pips on the backhand. I only saw a video of him once when he beat Liu Guozheng. I think he plays for another place now, like Hong Kong or Taiwan

-------------
Blade - Bastian Steger Flared (Butterfly)
Rubber - Sriver 2.1 FH
              802-40 2.2 BH

Date Posted: 07/10/2006 at 6:58pm

With which short pip rubber plays Peng?

I have two maches of him from China Super League and he is very good.

-------------
e-pingpongshop

Date Posted: 07/11/2006 at 6:58am

Patski... i guess u would know, ha... same style and all.. lol

2 bad wang tao is no longer playing... or teng yi.. hmm, i wonder why there r not many in the world level now..

Posted By: arsenal
Date Posted: 07/11/2006 at 7:51am
Tang Peng play he shakehand or penholder?

Posted By: lucioping
Date Posted: 07/11/2006 at 8:37am
I like spinny short pips for chopping: my favourite is ritc-802

-------------
ping pong website www.eachengit.com
BL: Dr.neubauer Barricade
FH: DHS G666 2,2mm
Bh: RITC 802 1,0mm

Date Posted: 07/11/2006 at 10:52am

Sorry- ignorant question-

Why would you use short pips rather than inverted for chopping?  I thought short pips were best for smashing through heavy top spin, or pure speed.

Date Posted: 07/11/2006 at 7:22pm

Peng is a shakehand player.

He has very good forehand, but his backhand is amazing. When he has the chance hits the ball very hard with the short pips and when he has to deal with great amount of backspin in his short pimple bh he does top spin.   When he face a topspin to spin situation and the ball comes to his bh and he is far from the table he chop with the short pip. He is in the same team with Ma Long and he is the best player. Their team won the 3rd place in China Super Leaque.

-------------
e-pingpongshop

Posted By: haggisv
Date Posted: 07/11/2006 at 8:32pm
Shoebox9: People use pimpled rubber for chopping because incoming spin has much less effect on pimples, so it's much easier to control.

-------------
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=page&id=42" rel="nofollow - Tenergy Alternatives | http://tabletennis-reviews.com" rel="nofollow - My TT Articles

Date Posted: 07/11/2006 at 10:59pm

Thanks Haggisv,

Being a new player, I presumed chopping with short pips wouldn't cause your opponent any dificulties because not much back spin could be created.  

It sounded to me like giving away a free lunch, but if top players are doing it....

Posted By: gigmyster
Date Posted: 07/20/2006 at 3:26pm
I just went back to  pips on my backhand...after trying other rubbers that others tryied to get me interested in.. like they say if its not broke dont fix it.. I like to do dead ball pushes fast to the transition areas and fast roll service returns to our NEW and challanging long pip players.. i win more games against guys that are in the 2000 and enjoy the game more.. its so much fun to switch to pips to your forhand and see if they can return a dead non spinning ball..

-------------
thunderblade

Posted By: pong
Date Posted: 07/22/2006 at 7:47am

Armstrong Rosin is a great short pip for allround and attack play. Very good control, speed, spin and pretty disturbing for a short pip.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net