Print Page | Close Window

blade for short pips?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75091
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 11:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: blade for short pips?
Posted By: berkeleydoctor
Subject: blade for short pips?
Date Posted: 04/07/2016 at 7:43pm
switching to sp on my BH, read some stuff about a blade that is hard and stiff is good for short pips (something like stiga clipper), are there any new gen blades that are also good with short pips?

Replies:
Posted By: viva
Date Posted: 04/07/2016 at 7:49pm
donic burn aratox 

-------------
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback

Posted By: JohnnyChop
Date Posted: 04/07/2016 at 8:42pm
Acoustic carbon like Ito Mima

-------------
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 04/07/2016 at 9:05pm
I really like the way my 802-40 plays on the Yinhe PD-437 (Purple Dragon) I got from ColesTT.  It is not one of the really cheap blades (about $40 I think) but still less than a Clipper.  I think it is supposed to be a clipper substitute. 

Unfortunately I do not have enough experience with other blades to give a lot of comparison.  It is stiffer and a little faster than the Dawei Matrix blades I had been using.  Purple Dragon is really nice for counter-hitting with both my short pips and inverted and yet still lets someone at my level (USATT 1800) loop without much trouble.

Mark

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 04/07/2016 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

switching to sp on my BH, read some stuff about a blade that is hard and stiff is good for short pips (something like stiga clipper), are there any new gen blades that are also good with short pips?
Who told you that Clipper is very stiff?

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Posted By: AMonteiro
Date Posted: 04/07/2016 at 9:26pm
Wang Zeng Yi and He Zhiwen uses Clipper CR, Tang Peng BTY ZJK Blue Dragon, Tan Ruiwu P700 and Ludeack Fleet.. to name a few pros..

Anyway, there are sereval good blades for SP. Most of people prefer stiff 7 plywood but you can see Mattias Karlson using Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon that is a flexible blade...

I would go with P700, very good stiffness/flex ratio for SP.

-------------
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR

Posted By: Johnny1996
Date Posted: 04/08/2016 at 12:11am
Stiga 145.some pro uses Stiga carbo 7.6.

Posted By: Tek101
Date Posted: 04/08/2016 at 2:42am
I have SP on my forehand and used to have it on both sides. In both occurrences I used the TSP Black Balsa 7.0. It's a softer feel and very easy to control spin and to hit with. I use Victas V>02 and when I had it on my backhand I used Joola Express both max sponge. Hope this helps

-------------
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
|FH: https://ttdd.eu/sword-long-can-pro-version.html" rel="nofollow - Sword Long Can Pro Version
|BH: Xiom Vega Asia DF Max

Posted By: Stavros
Date Posted: 04/08/2016 at 3:44am
Stiga Hybrid Wood and Rosewood 7

-------------
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05

Posted By: JohnnyChop
Date Posted: 04/08/2016 at 12:06pm
I think you have to decide if you want carbon or no...

-------------
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 04/08/2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Wang Zeng Yi and He Zhiwen uses Clipper CR, Tang Peng BTY ZJK Blue Dragon, Tan Ruiwu P700 and Ludeack Fleet.. to name a few pros..

Anyway, there are sereval good blades for SP. Most of people prefer stiff 7 plywood but you can see Mattias Karlson using Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon that is a flexible blade...

I have played to a guy with 889-2 with andro temper and the blade makes many knuckle balls

Date Posted: 04/08/2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Johnny1996 Johnny1996 wrote:

Please make a list of pros that ate not known with short pips and their blades

Date Posted: 04/09/2016 at 3:29am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Please make a list of pros that ate not known with short pips and their blades

No problem.i made a post in chinese forum regarding penholder SP players already.

Posted By: suds79
Date Posted: 04/09/2016 at 11:33am
Clipper is definitely my fav for short pips.

I suppose a cheaper alternative that plays nice IMO is the PG7 by DHS.

Date Posted: 04/09/2016 at 12:44pm

I have played to a guy with 889-2 with andro temper and the blade makes many knuckle balls
Wang Zengyi played 889-2 before.Smile

Date Posted: 04/10/2016 at 4:53pm

Wang Zengyi played 889-2 before.Smile

And the question is where to get the sponge wzy uses

Date Posted: 04/10/2016 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Who told you that Clipper is very stiff?

clipper is not stiff?

Date Posted: 04/10/2016 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Tek101 Tek101 wrote:

I have SP on my forehand and used to have it on both sides. In both occurrences I used the TSP Black Balsa 7.0. It's a softer feel and very easy to control spin and to hit with. I use Victas V>02 and when I had it on my backhand I used Joola Express both max sponge. Hope this helps

thanks! i'll probably pick up a tsp black balsa 7 when i'm in osaka (TSP headquarters) in 2 weeks! 

Date Posted: 04/10/2016 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

I think you have to decide if you want carbon or no...

this point exactly, most of my clubmates recommend all wood. when i played with inverted, i enjoyed some all wood (nexy peterpan and zealot) but i also liked some carbon blades (viscaria and innerforce alc), so not sure what to make of it Sleepy

Date Posted: 04/11/2016 at 1:52am
it depends.

SP in FH: suggest 7 ply wood CL..
SP in BH: suggest carbon blade BTY ALC, 145, 7.6 carbon...

Date Posted: 04/11/2016 at 2:11pm

it depends.

SP in FH: suggest 7 ply wood CL..
SP in BH: suggest carbon blade BTY ALC, 145, 7.6 carbon...

What makes 145 alc playable for pips and not 190 or zlc? Any pro using them?

Posted By: khmd
Date Posted: 04/11/2016 at 9:15pm
Li xiaoxia uses 145

Date Posted: 04/12/2016 at 12:20am
Originally posted by khmd khmd wrote:

Li xiaoxia uses 145

She doesnt play with pips

Posted By: speedy
Date Posted: 04/12/2016 at 1:19am

I play short pips on my BH most of my life.  It all depends on what type of short pips you are using.  Here are the general combination:

1.  With soft sponge with 1.8-1.9mm pips, you can use an OFF composite blade (i.e. TB Spirit, M. Maze, Keyshot, Acoustic Carbon, or Barwell Fleet).  This is my favorite combination.  This type of combination allows you to counter hit and counter block very well.

2.  With medium or Hard 1.8-1.9mm pips, you can use all wood blades with 7 or 9 plies.  I like Stiga Royal on Clipper CR non-WRB.

Why didn't I mention anything thinner than 1.8mm or anything 2.0mm and thicker?  Well... it's personal preference plus experience.  Anything too thin, I can't attack well.  It doesn't have the power to put the ball away.  Anything 2.0mm and thicker seems to be too thick.  They don't give the dead blocks and hits.  For my game, I stay close to the table (2 to 4 feet).  Pips with 1.8 and 1.9mm thickness fit my game perfectly.

Good luck,

-------------
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Posted By: Bilbo
Date Posted: 04/12/2016 at 10:56am
I've played with inverted all my life, recently changed to pips...on both sides...to try and experience something new...as I don't enjoy looping and loves to stay closer to the table...also I was a huge Johnny Huang fan growing up here in Canada during my competitive junior days.  I am currently using Stiga Optimum Sync (all-wood), but will try to switch to my carbon (offensive classic carbon) blade soon to feel the difference.  Maybe will try on Clipper too as my father has a clipper and I can probably borrow it for a few weeks since he doesn't play much anymore.  One of my practise partner who is at a very high level for women in Canada uses pips on bh and she recently changed to a stiga rosewood blade and really likes it.  She uses 1.8 victas vo>101 at the moment, she preferred that over the 2.0 thickness which she also tried.  She plays a close to table attack game and that bh is much deader now than her old combination of Butterfly challenger on a addidas carbon blade.

-------------
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty

Posted By: interact215
Date Posted: 04/12/2016 at 12:11pm
I use Victas VO > 102 (2.0 sponge) short pips on my Andro Temper Tech OFF+. The Andro is very fast, stiff, and hard, all wood. The Victas > 102 works better for me than all the other offensive SPs I've tried (Challenger, Clippa, 802-40. JOOLA Ultra Tango, JUE, Moristo SP and more). It's attacking, spin, and opening loop of backspin capability is excellent- comparable to my favorite inverted rubbers. But it still has amazing ability to absorb the power and spin of hard loops and drives at the table on passive blocks.

Even though there's many good things about Victas > 102 SP on BH, I'm trying out very thin inverted rubbers on BH because I feel SP don't give me the consistent off-the-bounce reliability I need close to the table. I guess off-the-bounce play is more important to me than the punching and blocking SP is made for.

-------------
So many rubbers, so little time.

Posted By: gatz
Date Posted: 04/12/2016 at 1:10pm
It's personal preference right? so i'd like my blade a little bit head heavy am using amultart for that either way backhand or forehand used to be sp on both sides so i find blades that are stiff fit the most like schlager,axelo,one ply hinoki, sardius.

-------------
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   

Date Posted: 04/12/2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Bilbo Bilbo wrote:

I've played with inverted all my life, recently changed to pips...on both sides...to try and experience something new...as I don't enjoy looping and loves to stay closer to the table...also I was a huge Johnny Huang fan growing up here in Canada during my competitive junior days.  I am currently using Stiga Optimum Sync (all-wood), but will try to switch to my carbon (offensive classic carbon) blade soon to feel the difference.  Maybe will try on Clipper too as my father has a clipper and I can probably borrow it for a few weeks since he doesn't play much anymore.  One of my practise partner who is at a very high level for women in Canada uses pips on bh and she recently changed to a stiga rosewood blade and really likes it.  She uses 1.8 victas vo>101 at the moment, she preferred that over the 2.0 thickness which she also tried.  She plays a close to table attack game and that bh is much deader now than her old combination of Butterfly challenger on a addidas carbon blade.

Name?

Date Posted: 04/13/2016 at 2:36pm
mine or the good female player? haha

-------------
Stiga Optimum Sync
Lefty

Date Posted: 04/13/2016 at 11:32pm

Female player lol

Date Posted: 04/14/2016 at 12:02pm

Female player lol

Alayna Chan
She mainly trains in Europe the last three years and only comes back to Canada occasionally and for Nationals and Canada Cup.  She won women's doubles at last year's Canada nationals.

-------------
Stiga Optimum Sync
Lefty

Date Posted: 04/18/2016 at 2:15am

Female player lol

Alayna Chan
She mainly trains in Europe the last three years and only comes back to Canada occasionally and for Nationals and Canada Cup.  She won women's doubles at last year's Canada nationals.

Thank you

Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 6:50pm
im going to try tsp magic pips again they are softish in 1.4-1.7mm. mainly be hitting and blocking off the bounce. coming from h3n on bh so quite a big change.

do I put them on donic wsc, celero wood, infinity or yeo.
I figure I should use what I like best for my neo on fh which is wsc or more recently infinity.

will sp on bh be decent on infinity, I have strong bh so don't need loads of sponge.

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler

Posted By: David_from_Gers
Date Posted: 09/30/2018 at 4:51am
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

I play short pips on my BH most of my life.  It all depends on what type of short pips you are using.  Here are the general combination:

1.  With soft sponge with 1.8-1.9mm pips, you can use an OFF composite blade (i.e. TB Spirit, M. Maze, Keyshot, Acoustic Carbon, or Barwell Fleet).  This is my favorite combination.  This type of combination allows you to counter hit and counter block very well.

2.  With medium or Hard 1.8-1.9mm pips, you can use all wood blades with 7 or 9 plies.  I like Stiga Royal on Clipper CR non-WRB.

Why didn't I mention anything thinner than 1.8mm or anything 2.0mm and thicker?  Well... it's personal preference plus experience.  Anything too thin, I can't attack well.  It doesn't have the power to put the ball away.  Anything 2.0mm and thicker seems to be too thick.  They don't give the dead blocks and hits.  For my game, I stay close to the table (2 to 4 feet).  Pips with 1.8 and 1.9mm thickness fit my game perfectly.

Good luck,

Hi Speedy,
I don't know if you still read this forum, but i'm interested to have your opinion about the bh - wood combination for short pimps, regarding the plastic ball.
Did you change your point of view with the new plastic balls or not ?

If someone else have ideas, give them !

Posted By: mykonos96
Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 12:27am
Originally posted by David_from_Gers David_from_Gers wrote:

Good luck,

Hi Speedy,
I don't know if you still read this forum, but i'm interested to have your opinion about the bh - wood combination for short pimps, regarding the plastic ball.

I dont know if you want to play with royal but look for another sp if you want to be succesful with your BH

Posted By: Pr1nc
Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 6:35am
For SP play Nittaku P700 (better quality), Avalox P700, Stiga Clipper CR. Also you cant go wrong with Yasaka Ma Lin soft carbon.

-------------
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra

Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Pr1nc Pr1nc wrote:

For SP play Nittaku P700 (better quality), Avalox P700, Stiga Clipper CR. Also you cant go wrong with Yasaka Ma Lin soft carbon.

I think karlsson must use a stiffer blade

Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 8:37am
I think you have to be careful as you might still want a good fh loop and you might lose that if you to much on the stiff blades

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler

Posted By: Pr1nc
Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

I think Karlsson knows better whats best fits him then us.

-------------
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra

Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 9:47am

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

I think Karlsson knows better whats best fits him then us.

What I meant is that people think a flexy blade would be right but karlsson is not using off the shelf stuff

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 11:18am
I currently use TB ZLF, and I love it.

Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 12:12pm
I'm thinking to try a spinlord gipflesturm for my backhand.
On forehand, i want to keep my chinese rubber, bit similar to a boosted h3 (tuttle vip 2018 boosted).
My current and prefered blade is an osp ultimate 2, and i also have a barwell fleet, a clasic clipper, a bty zhang jike blue dragon, and some others that i don't like for my forehand.
Some friends recommend to me to swtich to a new balsa carbon blade for mastering my backhand short pimples. I'm oriented to use the SP mainly to block and counter hits.
Not sure what to test...
Thanks for your advices !

Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I think you have to be careful as you might still want a good fh loop and you might lose that if you to much on the stiff blades

that is what i'm afraid of with a balsa carbon combination that people recommand to me.

Posted By: IanMcg
Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 4:05pm
I don't think balsa is good for short pips, feels too bouncy and hollow. I never tried balsa carbon blades other than the Gergely (which I don't believe is balsa). For SP you want a solid blade, but many players use whatever they feel comfortable with. I say use your Clipper then go from there. Thin carbon blades work but in the end its down to personal preference.

If you're willing to give up spin capabilities for ease of hit and trickier blocks, try YinHe Pluto. Its a raw medium pip but its dirt cheap and is a blast for flat strokes. Just don't count on being able to spin well.

Posted By: achoomai
Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 7:23pm
I used Tibhar inferno with Tuttle summer for my FH, it is one of my favorite set-up for the soft and spinny short pip.

-------------
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094

Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 7:49pm

Good luck,

Hi Speedy,

David,

Yes, I am still here.  I am not really actively playing table tennis.  I went back playing more soccer/football for 3 years now.  I play 6 hours of soccer/football a week and 6 hours of table tennis a month.

"Did you change your point of view with the new plastic balls or not ?"

This is a great question.  In general, I don't change my pips on my backhand.  However, I change my strokes a little, and I also change my tactics a little for plastic balls.  Because my game change a little bit, I also change my forehand rubbers.

What am I doing differently?

1. I used to play 70% backhand and 30% forehand.  Now, I have to play 40% backhand and 60% forehand.  Without going into any details, I rely on my forehand to win more points now.  That's why I change my rubber on my forehand.
2. Countering and blocking with the backhand is easier now, but it is also harder to win points with counterblock now.  So, the counterblock on the backhand is just for setting up for forehand finish.
3. Short game is easier because we don't have as much spin on the ball as with celloid ball.  So again, I use my backhand to set up and finish with forehand.

Again, I don't have to change the equipment, I just change my game a little.  The next question is... which game do I prefer?  I like my game before the plastic ball.  Why?  Because I could play my backhand all day without stepping around and doing any footwork drills.  I am a lazy player. LOL

I hope I answered your question.

Good luck,

-------------
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Date Posted: 10/01/2018 at 8:06pm

I'm thinking to try a spinlord gipflesturm for my backhand.
On forehand, i want to keep my chinese rubber, bit similar to a boosted h3 (tuttle vip 2018 boosted).
My current and prefered blade is an osp ultimate 2, and i also have a barwell fleet, a clasic clipper, a bty zhang jike blue dragon, and some others that i don't like for my forehand.
Some friends recommend to me to swtich to a new balsa carbon blade for mastering my backhand short pimples. I'm oriented to use the SP mainly to block and counter hits.
Not sure what to test...
Thanks for your advices !

David,

I used Balsa blades (Komann Blue Tiger, TSP Balsa 6.5, Andro Super Core CL OFF+, Joola Kool, Joola MC1, Hunter Flame, Hunter X-Carbon, etc...) with short pips.  I love the feel of the balsa and short pips.  Why did I change to something else?  Well, most of these blades are TOO THICK for my taste.  It's hard to push and flip inside the table, so I changed to other blades.

Since we change to plastic balls, I am thinking about going back to balsa blades every day.  There are a few benefits that I think you may like:
1. It's light and you have more hand speed.  Essentially, you will create more speed and spin.
2. Balsa blades pair well with Chinese rubbers and other soft rubbers.

Out of all the balsa blades I tested and played with, go with TSP.  Their blades are more stable (nice sweet spots) than others.  Joola Kool is the BEST. However, I sold both of my blades Cry

oh man... after I am typing this and thinking it through, I will defintely go back to Balsa Carbon now. Thanks for the question... LOL

-------------
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Date Posted: 10/02/2018 at 5:18am
You're welcome !
Thanks a lot for all your answers and opinions.

Date Posted: 10/02/2018 at 5:18am
Joola kool seems pretty cool :)

Date Posted: 10/02/2018 at 9:10am
But the joola seems too thick for me.
I think i'll try on my current blade, osp ultimate 2, and may be on the SpinLord Ultra Balsa v which was recommended by frenches and russians.
For the clipper, i like its control, but i'm fed up with the small sweetspot for my forehand topspin.

Date Posted: 10/02/2018 at 9:34am

But the joola seems too thick for me.
I think i'll try on my current blade, osp ultimate 2, and may be on the SpinLord Ultra Balsa v which was recommended by frenches and russians.
For the clipper, i like its control, but i'm fed up with the small sweetspot for my forehand topspin.

There is some pips that work better with bladed with walnut plies.some hard blades give a sick reversal almost like LP

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net