Print Page | Close Window

Why Clipper and P700 for short pimples?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators:

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77955
Printed Date: 03/29/2017 at 1:02pm

Topic: Why Clipper and P700 for short pimples?
Posted By: bokai
Subject: Why Clipper and P700 for short pimples?
Date Posted: 12/31/2016 at 8:47pm
Hi Guys,

A question that has always remained a mystery to me is:

Why do majority of pros and even amateurs use stiga clipper for short pimples on the backhand? I understand its got quite a hard surface but not as hard as some butterfly carbon blades, say schlager carbon or sardius. Can someone please provide me with a detailed answer?

Replies:
Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 12/31/2016 at 8:50pm
Back in the 38mm days(roughly late 80s to mid 90s), those two, especially the P700, were among the stiffest all-wood blades you could get. Carbon blades back then lacked the feel. With speed glue, all-wood blades could perform nearly as well with the added benefits of feel. It has kind of become a tradition and standard.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 12/31/2016 at 8:57pm
Ah right! so now with the 40+ ball, wat do u think the blade of choice would be in nowadays?

Posted By: rickywinataa
Date Posted: 12/31/2016 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

Ah right! so now with the 40+ ball, wat do u think the blade of choice would be in nowadays?

Clipper is still a very sensible choice even with 40+. It's still a blade that's fast enough for professional to use and you could see how some of them look for a closer to all-wood feel from carbon blade, like HL5, LSW, Innerforce ZLC

Date Posted: 12/31/2016 at 10:04pm
I see I see, Thank you! 

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 01/01/2017 at 9:23am
For sp you need blade that can deliver power when you drive the ball, but not too fast, as you have very little control due to the lack of grip.

Posted By: ChichoFicho
Date Posted: 01/01/2017 at 2:20pm
Clipper is too slow for the 40+ rubbish ball.

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Posted By: Johnny Erasure
Date Posted: 01/01/2017 at 2:47pm
If the Clipper it's too slow for 40+ ball what blade it's better for sp?

-------------
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
Rubbers: FH Tenergy 05
             BH Tenergy 05 fx
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&title=feed

Date Posted: 01/01/2017 at 8:29pm
I use a Schlager Carbon with DHS 651 on the backhand 1.8mm. I feel i have lots of control with it for such a fast blade. However, i have also used clipper and i feel its fast enough for players and it has good ball feeling and control. I can see why people use it until this day, even tho with new blades coming out. 

Posted By: jp_montoya
Date Posted: 01/04/2017 at 10:32am
What is the difference between Stiga Clipper and old Stiga offensive blades from 80's and which one is faster?

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 01/04/2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Johnny Erasure Johnny Erasure wrote:

No way Clipper is too slow for 40+ balls. Absolutely no way. I say it´s still one of the fastest combos one can match with SP.
If you want slower blades that can match SP you go to Persson Powerplay, Ludeack ou Septear. Notice I´m listing only 7-ply blades, which imo, are the best matches for SP.

Posted By: suds79
Date Posted: 01/04/2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Clipper is too slow for the 40+ rubbish ball.

That's too hard to claim. Need to know what rubber you're pairing with it. How thick is the sponge?

For example right now I'm using a Clipper Classic with 802-40 on a Air super soft 30 deg sponge 2.0 thickness I got from Cole. I've liked it for a long time but feel I would like something a pinch faster.

Note I'm not claiming that the Clipper is too slow. It's on a 30 deg sponge after all. That's butter soft. I'm sure I would see a difference if say I went to a harder sponged pip or even something that's tuned.

Currently trying to decide if I'm going to go the new TSP Spectol Red or the tuned Haifu Dolphin.

Anybody have some experience with these two or opinions?

-------------
Lefty Penholder.
Check out my blog at
chroniclesofgossima.blogspot.com

Date Posted: 01/04/2017 at 2:12pm
You cannot play a fast attacking style with Clipper and the new ball. Clipper CR and CC are better. TSP Hino Carbon and Primorac Carbon work well with short pips.

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:16am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Originally posted by Johnny Erasure Johnny Erasure wrote:

No way Clipper is too slow for 40+ balls. Absolutely no way. I say it´s still one of the fastest combos one can match with SP.
If you want slower blades that can match SP you go to Persson Powerplay, Ludeack ou Septear. Notice I´m listing only 7-ply blades, which imo, are the best matches for SP.

there are 2 cnt players with short pips and clipper

Posted By: Victor_the_cleaner
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:56am
clipper is stiff, but not hard. Limba surface. Its probably the softest surface after hinoki. The stiffness comes from the transposed 7 plies. I wonder if I got a bad apple, or had played with carbon too much, but my clipper had horrible control, even with Rhyzm. Fast, soft bouncy, blurry (or whatever is the opposite of sharp feel). In my opinion it can't compete with carbon blades in terms of control, not in terms of speed. I have a chopping carbon blade. There are many types of carbon, carbon does not automatically mean speed. But carbon automatically means control, because it is synthetic and much more homogeneous that natural wood.

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

clipper is stiff, but not hard. Limba surface. Its probably the softest surface after hinoki. The stiffness comes from the transposed 7 plies. I wonder if I got a bad apple, or had played with carbon too much, but my clipper had horrible control, even with Rhyzm. Fast, soft bouncy, blurry (or whatever is the opposite of sharp feel). In my opinion it can't compete with carbon blades in terms of control, not in terms of speed. I have a chopping carbon blade. There are many types of carbon, carbon does not automatically mean speed. But carbon automatically means control, because it is synthetic and much more homogeneous that natural wood.

Yes, I have not liked about 90% of the clippers I have tried, but my friend has a really good one.  My guess is good apples exist and are hard to find.

Date Posted: 01/06/2017 at 4:43am
Ok, i understand after your comments that the difference between Clipper and old Stiga offensive blades from the 80-'s is the stiffnes, am i right? What about the speed?

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 01/07/2017 at 8:29am
It takes a long time to get used to 7 ply all wood blades. If you are coming from composite then it takes even longer. All wood blade does not have the bounce of the composite, so you need to put in power, but when you put in power it starts to go fast, so the control is tricky. Players who switch from composite to 7 ply all wood have same dull impression, until they adjust the timing a little to excelerate earlier.

Date Posted: 01/07/2017 at 9:28am
Thanks a lot for that information!

Date Posted: 01/07/2017 at 9:30am
Most new Clipper CR are also too soft for pips as the top ply has become thicker.  To me Galaxy T11 is easily one of the best blades for the new rubbish ball. 

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen

Posted By: Soundoff88
Date Posted: 01/07/2017 at 11:16am

Most new Clipper CR are also too soft for pips as the top ply has become thicker.  To me Galaxy T11 is easily one ofS the best blades for the new rubbish ball. 

T11 or T11+ for pips?

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 01/07/2017 at 7:36pm

Most new Clipper CR are also too soft for pips as the top ply has become thicker.  To me Galaxy T11 is easily one of the best blades for the new rubbish ball. 

the problem is finding a true replacement to a good
clipper

Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 01/08/2017 at 12:42am
I'm currently using spinlord keiler for rpb on donic ovtcharov carbospeed which is a 5 ply 7mm hinoki carbon blade. I find it much better and tons faster than clipper.

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2

Posted By: Bilbo
Date Posted: 01/08/2017 at 1:03pm
I just started experimenting with the new Stiga Celero Wood (only had one practise with it), it seems to have similar speed as Clipper but better feel.

-------------
Stiga Celero Wood
FH: Victas VO>102 2.0
BH: TSP Spectol Red 2.0
Lefty

Print Page | Close Window