Print Page | Close Window

Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77991
Printed Date: 04/19/2024 at 11:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews
Posted By: arg0
Subject: Nexy Karis M and M+ reviews
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 3:23am
This thread is for posting reviews of Nexy Karis M and Nexy Karis M+.
Everybody that was selected as a tester, please post their reviews and impressions here!
Thank you!

Update: anyone is obviously most welcome to post their review here, even if they have not been selected as testers. Thanks, Baal!

Update 2: also see http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76195" rel="nofollow - this thread for more reviews!

-------------
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the forum_posts.asp?TID=47778" rel="nofollow - Nexy Clan !
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.

Replies:
Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 7:18am
I didn't ask to be a reviewer because I had already bought a sheet of M and one sheet of M+ in max thickness, which I tested in a ZJK-ALC blade.  Because I bought the rubber myself for market price, and have no business connection to Nexy, you can consider this an unbiased review. 

For the last decade, I have played more or less exclusively with ALC blades and either Tenergy 05, or most recently, MX-P.  I am a conventional two wing shakehand offensive player, getting older now, but still around 2050-2100.  These days I have worried that I have had a tendency to beat myself more than I would like, missing shots from mistiming -- a lot of that secondary to not being as quick as I used to be (and maybe needing new glasses). 

Here is what I have noticed so far with these rubbers:

There is a slight dome of the rubber right out of the packages (true for both M and M+).  The sponges are blue color with very thin pores.  There is no booster smell, in marked contrast to MX-P.  I had forgotten how much easier it was to glue down and cut rubbers with thin-pore sponges like this one.  A very nice feature. 

The pips on the inside of the topsheet are incredibly short (I've never seen anything like it before) and they have a shape that is somewhere between a circle and a hexagon.  The topsheet therefore, overall, is very thin.  I think this may be the key feature of this rubber.  (I hope it does not make the rubber fragile).  It is not shiny, rather a dull or matted appearance, especially in black.

These rubbers are not real fast, and not unusually spinny (although they certainly spinny enough and the topsheet has a very nice grippy feel).  The main thing is that they are incredibly predictable, which became clear to me within a few minutes.  That is the thing Nexy talked about in his threads on what he was trying to achieve when he developed the rubber.  I have to admit I was very skeptical about that when I read it.  It sounded like BS to me.  But having tried Karis, I now think he has accomplished what he set out to do, and his descriptions ring very true once you try this stuff.  I'm not just talking about his descriptions of Karis, but also how Kris is different from Tenergy and ESN rubbers.  When you play with Karis, you sort of feel what he is talking about.  They really are something novel I think.

More than anything than, I would say the main features of Karis are predictablity and linearity.  (Output is directly related to input with no weird discontinuities to put it in more quasi-technical terms).

Because of the predictability of the rubber, I was able to keep the ball on the table really well tonight.  When I wanted to hit slow, the ball went slow, and it went where I aimed it.  When I swung harder, the ball went faster, and importantly, no sudden increase in ball rebound with a slight increase in racket speed.  (That is in marked contrast to the MX-P).  So very few inexplicable misses where you hit the ball off the table and you're not sure why. 

One of the places this really showed up is against my opponent's good shots.  I brought a lot more of them back and lived to battle longer in the point.  I think most amateur offensive players will find that they are a lot better when they are on the defensive with this stuff than they would be with a lot of popular rubbers.   In general I kept the ball on the table,  but I also felt like I was able to be a bit more deceptive as to where I was going to place the ball.  In other words, make it look to opponent like I am going to drive the ball crosscourt with my forehand but then go to the body or down the line at the last minute.  For some reason, that was easy with this stuff.  Also  I was hitting really good angles and  I was looping with a lot more variation in pace.  

For now the only downside, and I think it is temporary, is the sense that some of my shots lacked the penetration I would get with Tenergy or MX-P.  That's to be expected, Karis is definitely slower than either of those.  Also, it seemed like I was hitting my forehand flatter than usual, probably subconsciously trying for more power to compensate for speed of rubber.  I guess I would say that the throw is medium, though.  I will need to play more with an eye on that more.  In any case, when I got good body rotation that was not a problem, then the ball had plenty of pace.  It is better to keep the ball on the table and win more points than it is to look spectacular winning a few points, so I don't mind.  This sense of very linear control was present on every single shot.  Loops, counters, blocks, short game, serve, return, push.  I will need to work hard to get good body rotation on my opening loops in particular, because this stuff definitely does not reward lazy technique.  You don't need to be Ma Long b ut you can't just loop with your arm.  If you do, it will feel like it is about to fall off in a couple of minutes and your shots will suck!!

As for M vs. M+, given what I have been playing with for the last decade (T05 and MX-P), M+ is a step too far, especially away from the table.  I definitely preferred M.  Actually, for now I am more comfortable with M on the FH side and M+ on the BH side (which is a bit odd since M+ is distinctly harder), but I plan to use M on both sides for awhile and see how this goes.  I ordered another sheet of M today so I will have it on both sides. 

Posted By: sspark80
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:23am
Thanks for the detailed review, Baal.  How many sessions have you had w/ M and M+?

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:40am
Baal, have you used any of the Airocs? 

Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Baal, have you used any of the Airocs?

No.  Sorry.  I also have no knowledge of TSP Regalis, which is another rubber some have said might share some features with Karis. 

I believe, though, that the pip structure of Karis is quite different, and I suspect one of the big reasons for why Karis plays the way it does.

I can only compare to Tenergys and MX-P and EL-P, and this is a very different animal from any of those.

Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by sspark80 sspark80 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed review, Baal.  How many sessions have you had w/ M and M+?

About four hours.  By the way, about 45 min of this was against a defender who is pretty good (he has been training a lot with Li Kewei).  Karis was especially nice then, for pushing short and low when the ball was too spinny to loop comfortably, and in general for attacking.  The predictablity of the rubber was really noticeable then.

I will know more this weekend when I play some stronger offensive players.

Edit added.  A lot more time in with it  There is nothing I wrote that I would change.

Posted By: Matt Pimple
Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 12:32pm
Baal, how is the spin (loop, serve, push) in comparison to T05 or MXP? Thanks.

-------------
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55835&title=feed-back-for-matt-pimple" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 01/05/2017 at 5:12pm
As you would expect for slower more controlled rubber. Easy to serve sbort low and spinny. Long zervescwill take a bit more time. Loops are slower and require better te nique but i dont miss. More than enough zpin. Easy to vary zpeed. Short game becomes easy.

Posted By: 100niTenis
Date Posted: 01/08/2017 at 11:17am
Where can you buy 2.0mm ?

Posted By: arg0
Date Posted: 01/08/2017 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

Where can you buy 2.0mm ?

Nexy.com and nexyttstore.com.
Should you experience high shipping costs, contact the support team for clarifications before ordering.

-------------
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the forum_posts.asp?TID=47778" rel="nofollow - Nexy Clan !
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Www.nexyusa.com also sells it. Better for usa/Canada buyers.

Not in 2,0mm though.  That's probably want caused the question.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 1:30pm
Yeah 2.0mm

Posted By: bogeyhunter
Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 2:11pm
Will have 2.0 mm in stock early/mid Feb.

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo

Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Will have 2.0 mm in stock early/mid Feb.
Perfect. Thank you

Posted By: VictorK
Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 4:15pm
Quick update on Karis durability.

I've used my set of rubbers (one M and one M+) for about 3 weeks - approx 35 hours of playing time.  So far, there are noticeable but minor sings of wear on the topsheet, but no noticeable loss of grip or sponge performance.

I'm typically very happy if I get more than 50 hours of play from my rubber sheet.  So far Karis looks promising in this aspect.

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 9:12pm
I continue to really like the M version, total play about 12 hours, now with M on both sides.  After so many years with T05 and MX-P I am struggling a bit to find the range and racket angle on third balls but tonight that started to get quite comfortable as I get more relaxed and as I develop the new habits I need forvthis rubber.  Everything else feels really natural, short game, serve.  Counter loops right off the bounce, this stuff is amazing.

Date Posted: 01/10/2017 at 11:09pm
The best part of using Karis is when someone is trying to overwhelm you with power and you do the Neo in the Matrix type blocks as if you are bulletproof.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 01/11/2017 at 11:23pm
I keep using the Karis M+ and Karis M on the new Rubicon and keep liking the control over topspin more and more. This rubber is growing on me. I am not as concerned at incoming topspin as much, I invite it.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 11:49am
Quote of the day:
"I am not as concerned at incoming topspin as much, I invite it."

Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Quote of the day:

Perhaps long pip players, especially 'pushblockers' should switch to Karis, ha-ha

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 4:10pm

Quote of the day:

I understand that feeling.

Date Posted: 01/12/2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Quote of the day:

I understand that feeling.

So do I - one of the top players in a league I play at asked me whether I was using Chinese rubber since I was using Karis M on an OFF- blade - he kept wondering how I was able to keep some of his balls on the table.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/13/2017 at 9:01pm
The more I play with it the more I like it.

Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 01/14/2017 at 7:53am
Nexy, please consider adding more distributors.

Date Posted: 01/14/2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Nexy, please consider adding more distributors.

You don't like Nexyusa.com?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/14/2017 at 1:36pm
nexyusa.com delivered rubbers to me within a few days of my order.

Posted By: qpskfec
Date Posted: 01/14/2017 at 1:53pm
Any comments on ease of serve receive with Karis?

I have been using T80 for a few years. The one area I would like to improve is reactivity to serves.

I am planning to try out Victas V>15, it has positive reviews in this regard. Karis might be another rubber to consider.

Date Posted: 01/14/2017 at 8:31pm
Regarding serve returns, you stll need to know what is going on to make a good return, but assuming you do, your margin for error is better than for any Tenergy. Actually I find that Karis makes all aspects of the short game easier. Also, when I read it wrong on the servd return maybe the disastsr is a liitle less disastrous and here and there I can recover and win a point that I would have lost with Tenergy.

Again, though, it is totally different from T80. I like it, but you may not.

Date Posted: 01/14/2017 at 10:45pm
I also like Karis' behavior in short game - it isn't bouncy and not particularly sensitive to incoming spin, which makes it very predictable, at least for me.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Posted By: Tuly007
Date Posted: 01/14/2017 at 11:10pm
Nexy USA is not answering the emails , had to order from Korea and received the answer every time ,asked them what's wrong with the USA side...
Korea site mislead me into believing that they have certain weight in stock up until I paid for the blades to receive an email stating that are not available,....nobody is perfect.,

Update::: got in touch with nexyusa, all good....
      This can be moved or erased if not in a good place...

-------------
still testing

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:56am
I'm not sure I should use the word slow to describe it anymore (I used that word in my review). Coming from MX-P it seems that why at first because I was accustomed to nonlinear rubbers. With more time I now get plenty of pace when I want it. Oldtimers may remember a rubber called Visco. I remember having some of the same impressions about it. Of course that was very long ago.

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 12:40pm

I'm not sure I should uxe the word slow to describe it anymore (I used that word in my review). Coming from MX-P it seems that why at first because I was accustomed to nonlinear rubbers. With more time I now get plenty of pace when I want it. Oldtimers may remember a rubber called Visco. I remember having some of the same impressions about it. Of course that was very long ago.

I never played with Yasaka Visco, but used Yasaka Mark V for few years, and my vague recollections from over three decades ago (when I used Mark V) point to meaningful similarities in feel and playing performance between Karis and glued Mark V.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:11pm
@fatt - please take my comments on the similarities of Karis and Mark V with a grain of salt, because as I mentioned in my post, my recollections of Mark V are vague due to passage of time.   Also, I glued my rubbers only lightly, so those who poured lots of glue on their rubbers might comment that there aren't really any modern rubbers comparable in feel to a heavily glued Mark V.

Having said so, like Mark V, I believe that Karis M is very versatile, predictable/controllable attacking rubber suitable to a wide variety of players of different skill levels.  It's also grippy enough to allow for generating very good amount of spin, while not being particularly sensitive to incoming spin, especially in short game.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Posted By: bogeyhunter
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:42pm
It can generate more than enough spin on serves at 2250-2300 level. Here are raw clips, uncut of real match.

Start at 2.40 - I started using no spin/underspin serve and took control of this match from this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDHNt-gCZ80

Took many easy points from "simple" serves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZAix3DQ24

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo

Posted By: ThePongProfessor
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 3:05pm

Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

I'm not sure I should uxe the word slow to describe it anymore (I used that word in my review). Coming from MX-P it seems that why at first because I was accustomed to nonlinear rubbers. With more time I now get plenty of pace when I want it. Oldtimers may remember a rubber called Visco. I remember having some of the same impressions about it. Of course that was very long ago.

I never played with Yasaka Visco, but used Yasaka Mark V for few years, and my vague recollections from over three decades ago (when I used Mark V) point to meaningful similarities in feel and playing performance between Karis and glued Mark V.
Reading this thread I had that thought and I am happy victork is writing it; this is indeed good news. How many people would be satisfied with a mark V glue feel and performances? it would probably make sense for more than 80% of players out there, for fh AND bh; I have the feeling I found my rubber without even having tried it. 
I am convinced that with Karis M, NEXY is onto something big in the TT world Clap

Wow - I used to play with Visco (loved it) and speed-glued Mark V (also loved it). If what you are writing is correct, you'll see one giddy guy out on the circuit.  

-------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/feedback-thepongprofessor_topic69419.html" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 3:58pm
I also loved Visco, especially on my BH.  The thing is, I used it in the 90s, so who knows if my memory is correct. 

However, that feeling of being able to cope with pretty much anything while still being able to attack effectively (which is what I had with glued Visco) is also what I get with Karis M.  NL described it as "Neo In the Matrix".  That's is the kind of confidence it gives me.   

Almost certainly the way Karis achieves this is completely different, and of course I used Visco with 38 mm balls with speed glue. 

I have to go back even further to when I used Mark V.  High school.  Surbek was in his prime, and speed gluing was still a Hungarian secret.

But Visco is the one thing that comes to mind in terms of the mental state Karis gives me while I'm playing. 

As for spin on serves, I generate as much as ever with Karis, but I never find that too rubber-dependent.  I need to spend some time to adapt more to maintain my very long serves, though.  With Karis, they are a touch too short.

Posted By: Magic_M
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:26pm
Today I also received my Karis rubbers. Shipping from Korea was not really cheap (21€), but crazy fast. Only 3 (working-) days from Nexy head quater to my home. Seems to be a kind of express-delivery.

Now my question: which kind of blade fits best to Karis M/M+ ? My impression from the first reviews: the blade should be clear Off. But which outer veneer fits the best? The softer limba or koto? Composite or all wood blade?

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51774&title=feedback-magic-m" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 6:44pm
My sheets of Karis arrived today.  Strangely, my sheet of Karis M+ Black 2.2mm is about 4mm shorter in height and width than the Karis M Red 2.0mm.  These sheets obviously share much superficially with other recent Made In Japan rubbers.  Here is a picture of (top to bottom):

Karis M+ Black 2.2 (67.61g weight)
Karis M Red 2.0 (59.88g weight)
Airoc M Red 1.9
Samba 19 Red 1.9

I enjoyed using Airoc M when it first came out on my BH side, but its odd shiny topsheet didn't suit my brushy FH at all.  Most of what I liked about it came from the sponge - it's really interesting in comparison with many other porous sponges.  If you detach the topsheet from the sponge (from a cut-off obviously), the sponge doesn't have huge elastic strength but it does stretch on and on for a long time before it breaks.  Unlike most ESN and tenergy sponges which feel brittle in comparison and break up easily.  It gives a very smooth feel - no unexpected jumpiness, very linear delivery.

Airoc's downside for me was that topsheet - better than Calibra Tour for sure, but it just wasn't spinny enough for me in comparison with other options.  This suits other players more of course, but not for me.  The Samba 19 had a different topsheet feel and was more matte and had some better early grab, but had a grainy, rough texture which reminds me of budget rubbers (it actually reminded me of Joola Zack's topsheet in many ways, and I don't mean in a good way).  Top-end spin was poor on that one.

And here comes Karis.  These sponges are all good IMO, and bring some interesting qualities - all it needs to do is bring better topsheet grip and I'm sold.  Early signs (by finger-poking only so far) are good, and I'm looking forward to giving them a proper run-out.  The pips definitely look very short in comparison with the others (and with most rubbers in general), and the topsheet material looks much improved (no plastic-y initial slip like Airoc, a very smooth texture unlike Samba).  So it's all positive so far.  I'll be back with at-the-table impressions as soon as I can.

Posted By: Gauguin123
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 7:35pm
Just got my M & M+ rubbers today, both in MAX thickness!!!! As a few members mentioned already, surface seems similar to Joola Rhythm, Xiom Vega II or Yasaka Mark V but with different sponge layer. My initial set up will be on a Stiga Rosewood NCT V, Karis-M on Forehand and Karis-M+ on Backhand at 179 g, before trying them on the RubiCon and Primorac Carbon. I used Elmer's Rubber Cement as glue, knowingly that is recommended to use water based glue applying it in thin layer, but wanted to try it with what I normally use as glue anyway. I did noticed some reduction in size by contractions, so maybe wait a few minutes before cutting it would be best... Ying Yang

Jan. 18th - Just have my first practice with Karis M and M+ on a Stiga Rosewood V, the pop sound that produced remind me of Tibhar Nimbus. The set-up was on the heavy side at 182.8 g, feel that need more time to figure them out, so far 8.2 in Speed, 8.7 in Spin and 2.9 & 2.2 in tackiness... A bit overly sensitive to incoming spin on M+...

Jan. 22nd - Karis M & M+ paired w/ Primorac Carbon at 182.3 g!! Definitely a faster combination than w/ Stiga Rosewood, a better set up for mid distance from the table, the Carbon layer help giving that extra gear on the Rubbers, good control for short games and pushes, will keep same set up for another practice...

Jan. 25th - On today practice, I have had a better idea on using Karis on my Primorac Carbon, is turned out that M+ worked best on my Forehand and M on my Backhand. M + helped my Forehand attack from short games, smash, and mid distance loops. While Karis M on my Backhand was more control on the slower pace, best for re directing incoming loops and counter-attack...

Feb. 1st - Next set-up with be Andro Plasma and Karis M on Primorac Carbon at 175.9 g!!! After today practice, there were not a big difference with Karis M+ and M on Primorac Carbon compare to Plasma plus Karis M, both set ups worked fine on blocking and mid distance loops, very controllable to incoming side spin balls. Personally, I like both Karis rubbers on the Carbon blade so far.

Feb. 5th to 12th - Up next 5 practice with Nexy RubiCon with Nexy Karis M+ and M at 179.4 g!!! After a few practice with this set ups, I have M+ on my backhand which was generally consistence on defensive plays, specially on block shots!!!! Also liked it on flips and backhand smashes. While I find it Karis M all right on my forehand, I would have prefered Karis M+ also in my forehand or another Tension Rubbers instead!!!!

CONCLUSION: I have had the Nexy Karis M and M+ for almost a months now, tried a numbers of blades and rubbers combinations as well on about 10 practice sections. My best set up would be the Nexy RubiCon with Tenergy 05 FX and Karis M+, excellence in short blocks for counter attacks, mid distance loops and smashes. The Nexy Karis M and M+ are a good options for a recreational and developing player like myself, and would totally recommend them to others players. Only wish that the price would be closer in the US $ 40 range.

Finally, I would like to extend my thank you to Nexy and Member arg0 for organizing this testing event!!!! Many thanks...

Side note: Also want to mention that I am just a recreational player over the past 5 years, some time playing 2 - 3 days per week at about 2 1/2 hours per section. My game based on 3rd Ball attack and close to 1.5 m away from the table. Not rank anywhere and do not participate in competitions of any kind, really practice Table Tennis for fun and exercise at 45+ years old !!!

-------------
Primorac Carbon FL
FH: Andro Plasma (B)
BH: Xiom Vega II (R)

Date Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Today I also received my Karis rubbers. Shipping from Korea was not really cheap (21€), but crazy fast. Only 3 (working-) days from Nexy head quater to my home. Seems to be a kind of express-delivery.

Now my question: which kind of blade fits best to Karis M/M+ ? My impression from the first reviews: the blade should be clear Off. But which outer veneer fits the best? The softer limba or koto? Composite or all wood blade?

I know you are a blade expert but Baal likes Koto, I like limba.  You figure it out and let us know. Tongue

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:51pm
I have no idea what blade you should use.  I don't know if I like koto better than limba because I don't pay much attention to woods in blades I try.  I know that the blades I like (Viscaria and its cousins) are koto blades.  I like those better than Maze, but may that is the handle more than anything else.  I certainly like composite blades -- for the most part.   Some are too fast, and I have an old Hans Alser Stiga Offensive from the 80s that is amazing.

Seriously, unless you want to know about the subtle differences between various Viscaria-like blades, don't ask me about blades.  I just don't know anywhere as much as a lot of people here.

But I do like Karis M on my ALC blades, which are on the high end of OFF or the low end of OFF+.

Maybe over time, as I get more accustomed to Karis, I may try gradually trying slightly slower blades too. 

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 12:30am
The rubbers and blade in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqm2Ehi3a6c

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Reaper
Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Gauguin123 Gauguin123 wrote:

Just got my M & M+ rubbers today, both in MAX thickness!!!! As a few members mentioned already, surface seems similar to Joola Rhythm, Xiom Vega II or Yasaka Mark V but with different sponge layer. My initial set up will be on a Stiga Rosewood NCT V, Karis-M on Forehand and Karis-M+ on Backhand at 179 g, before trying them on the RubiCon and Primorac Carbon. I used Elmer's Contact Cement as glue, knowingly that is recommended to use water based glue applying it in thin layer, but wanted to try it with what I normally use as glue anyway. I did noticed some reduction in size by contractions, so maybe wait a few minutes before cutting it would be best... Ying Yang

You applied the glue and the rubber shrunk? how is that possible?

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 2:11pm
Applied glue and rubber shrank?  Weird, but then again, Gauguin used a glue not widely used these days for TT.

I applied water-based glue (Butterfly Free Chack II) to rubber and blade (ZJK-ALC).  Two coats on each.  I let the glue dry completely on blade and rubber (until it is colorless).  I then attached rubber to blade without using any real pressure, making sure to not stretch rubber.  I then trimmed the rubber (I like to use carpet pad shears).  There has been no sign of shrinking at all.  None.  The rubber is completely flat on the blade, and it is unusually easy to cut (compared to wide pored sponges like Tenergy or MX-P).

Elmer's contact cement, which Gauguin used, is different from normal table tennis water-based latex glues.  You can find the Manufacturer's safety data sheet here for that glue:

http://elmers.com/docs/default-source/sdss-%28safety-data-sheets%29/se1014.pdf?sfvrsn=2" rel="nofollow - http://elmers.com/docs/default-source/sds's-(safety-data-sheets)/se1014.pdf?sfvrsn=2

That shows that the glue contains methyl ethyl ketone, acetone, and xylenes!  So it is rich in VOCs and therefore it is not surprising that the rubber reacts in unexpected ways. 

With WBG I have not experienced any shrinkage on the blade. 

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 2:18pm
I still wonder sometimes why people like to be cheap about table tennis glue but I will not dwell on it.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 3:09pm

less work; more even glue plies; easiness to detach rubber from blade; no need to apply more glue on the sponge when transferring the rubber to another blade; when priming the rubber, the key is to leave it airing out a full night when using rubber or paper cement.

You can get almost all the same results with Donic Varioclean.  And you don't need to leave it out a full night either.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Gauguin123
Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 3:11pm
It just happen that in the Club I practice over the past 5 years, everybody used Rubber Cement for gluing, so, I just follow the trend!!!! We are not professional players, and only a few of those are in the Top 150 in the Quebec Provincial Ranking and participate in competitions. I tested over 50 blades and rubbers, so, I was constantly switching them, it is cheap as some mentioned, and re gluing is easy. The rubbers shrank just a bit, maybe because they were new or I pressed the roller a bit too hard!!! I guess we can use any glue that we want to right??? Or did I commit a crime in here...BTW, thanks Baal for the precise explanation!!!!! Also curious that if there are over 300 millions people worldwide who practice TT, how many use Rubber Cement or similar products instead of Water Based Glue... Ouch

-------------
Primorac Carbon FL
FH: Andro Plasma (B)
BH: Xiom Vega II (R)

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Gauguin123 Gauguin123 wrote:

It just happen that in the Club I practice over the past 5 years, everybody used Contact Cement for gluing, so, I just follow the trend!!!! We are not professional players, and only a few of those are in the Top 150 in the Quebec Provincial Ranking and participate in competitions. I tested over 50 blades and rubbers, so, I was constantly switching them, it is cheap as some mentioned, and re gluing is easy. The rubbers shrank just a bit, maybe because they were new!!! I guess we can use any glue that we want to right??? Or did I commit a crime in here...

No, you didn't commit a crime.  You only got what you asked for.  And I have played around with 4 sheets of M and 4 sheets of M+ - I have never even felt they were capable of shrinking, though I am obviously biased.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 4:32pm
Over the course of a year, modern rubbers cost more than my blades. So, I figure, when two sheets of Karis cost $100 plus shipping (more than my DTC), I want to get the best possible result gluing them down.  I am not going to take any risks with glue and so I use a WBG I am familiar with and that I know is easy to use -- my favorites are Free Chack II or Finezip.  (I am sure Vario Clean is fine too, along with other glues).  By contrast, Tearmender is tricky in my experience (and time consuming to get it right).  There a gazillions of Tearmender threads, so no need to rehash.  The thing is, it is similar to TT glue, but the formula was definitely not optimized for that purpose.   

I want glues that are very consistent in their behavior.  Free Chack 2 is really easy.  Two coats on rubber and blade, attach, that's it.  Always works.  Never a problem.  For me personally, getting the rubber off the back of a rubber is not so important.  Tearmender in my experience doesn't behave consistently, you need to apply a lot of coats, you need to worry about it drying too fast, clumping, etc. etc. and it just doesn't justify the savings, since TT glue is not really that expensive.  I know some people like Tearmender, but I decided a long time ago that it's just not worth the trouble or risk of a poor and uneven attachment.  If you are really worried about getting glue off of the rubber, I suggest Revolution 3 (still a bit time consuming, but very consistent result).

One thing to keep in mind is that these new rubbers like Karis were certainly not designed with VOC glue in mind (like rubber cements), so how they will react to those solvents is pretty  unpredictable. 

So Gauguin, I don't think you did anything wrong or illegal or anything, but because of the glue you used, your results will not be typical.

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 4:39pm
One nice thing about Karis is it is actually a lot easier to attach to a blade than Tenergy or MX-P, and I think you can get away with a much more liquid glue.  That in turn may be useful to know for people testing this new Nexy blade with the fragile top ply.

Posted By: Crowsfeather
Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 9:42pm
Any one experience lot of dust on rubber after playing for a while ???

-------------
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .

Date Posted: 01/19/2017 at 1:02pm
Hmm.  Not more than usual, or at least it didn't catch my attention.  I will try to pay attention tonight.

Date Posted: 01/19/2017 at 1:51pm
I've been playing with M+/M combination for about a month, and haven't noticed anything unusual, either way, relative to other inverted rubbers I've used in the past in how dust accumulates on Karis

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/19/2017 at 1:56pm
Definitely no dust issues. I clean the rubbers because I can see the dust but not because there is more of it.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/19/2017 at 8:10pm
Another observation. Karis performs well in exceptionally high humidity, like today at my club in Houston.

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 11:51am

Tearmender in my experience doesn't behave consistently, you need to apply a lot of coats, you need to worry about it drying too fast, clumping, etc. etc. and it just doesn't justify the savings, since TT glue is not really that expensive.

It is not about cost - it is about absolute ease of use and consistency.

How do you apply it? I use this and it works fine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BMGAFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no problems paying more for branded glue - I have 2 tubes of Nittaku Finezip that shall stay unused. I tried it and went back to TM. Finezip takes small bits of sponge out when you remove rubber from blade.

I don't get the 'too many layers bit'. Nowadays, even on Spruce outer blades, I use max 2 thin layers of TM on blade and 2 thin layers on sponge. That is not too much.

The keys are:
  1. make sure layers are very thin
  2. wait till they are completely dry (no shade of white anywhere). Don't use hair dryer. Just leave it out for 10 minutes.
  3. put result under some books or in a clicky press for 30 minutes
That is all. Works like a charm.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 11:57am
For the majority here for whom Karis is the final answer, ClapClapClap

For those who find Karis a shade too slow on your favorite blade but don't want to move to a faster blade, I recommend Yasaka Rakza X - if the goal is to have a consistent, non-jumpy (relative to T05 & MX-P) hard sponged rubber. Fantastic control. Great spin.

Apparently some top CNT guys have adopted it as well (Fang Bo and Yan An).

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

For the majority here for whom Karis is the final answer, ClapClapClap

For those who find Karis a shade too slow on your favorite blade but don't want to move to a faster blade, I recommend Yasaka Rakza X - if the goal is to have a consistent, non-jumpy (relative to T05 & MX-P) hard sponged rubber. Fantastic control. Great spin.

Apparently some top CNT guys have adopted it as well (Fang Bo and Yan An).

Have you used Karis, slevin?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 12:47pm

Works like a charm.  [Tearmender]

Not for me [Tearmender].  I am not opposed to paying less.  I just had too many bad glue jobs with that stuff.  That's really all I can say.  I don't think I am unusually bad at gluing rubber but at one point I just said, enough is enough.  I'm not a bit rubber changer or tester (I'm really not much of an EJ for quite a few years now).  I just want the glue to optimize the properties of expensive rubber that I do use.  I personally don't care if the glue ever comes off the sponge afterwords.

As for Raksa X, I can't comment.  I've never tried it.  I am not as good as guys on CNT (!!!!), so their choices may not work as well for me.  Maybe it is awesome, I have no idea. 

I can say, as a guy that has used Tenergy or MX-P on ALC blades for over a decade, and who speed glued Bryce back in that era  --- Karis M is not too slow on the blades I use.  I really did not expect to like Karis.  But I like it more each time I use it.

I would suggest to people who are used to Tenergy etc. that they give Karis a week of play before making any decision.  I liked it even the first time I used it, but I did have to make some adjustments.

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 12:55pm

Tearmender in my experience doesn't behave consistently, you need to apply a lot of coats, you need to worry about it drying too fast, clumping, etc. etc. and it just doesn't justify the savings, since TT glue is not really that expensive.

It is not about cost - it is about absolute ease of use and consistency.

How do you apply it? I use this and it works fine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BMGAFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no problems paying more for branded glue - I have 2 tubes of Nittaku Finezip that shall stay unused. I tried it and went back to TM. Finezip takes small bits of sponge out when you remove rubber from blade.

I don't get the 'too many layers bit'. Nowadays, even on Spruce outer blades, I use max 2 thin layers of TM on blade and 2 thin layers on sponge. That is not too much.

The keys are:
  1. make sure layers are very thin
  2. wait till they are completely dry (no shade of white anywhere). Don't use hair dryer. Just leave it out for 10 minutes.
  3. put result under some books or in a clicky press for 30 minutes
That is all. Works like a charm.

I use tearmender for putting on test rackets and donic blue contact for my regular paddle. The reason being tearmender is the easiest to remove from the rubbers, however the bond is pretty weak and starts falling off in 2 weeks, I haven't tried multiple coats, it seems like it's tough to get that right.

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 1:37pm
I have used Rakza X and Rakza X soft.  That's why I am asking my question.

I was pretty surprised that Baal liked Karis, to be honest, but it seems that what stood out for me with Karis also had value to him.  I can see why it might lack value to a player who is essentially in need of short stroke speed and spin (in which case, there is always the Tenergy series or one of many ESN variants).

I never felt that way when using Razka X.  And it wasn't that I needed a faster blade for Karis as I Was mostly beating people I beat and losing to people I lost to - I was still playing at 2000 level with Karis and my old Yasaka Extra.  I just realized that I could clearly use one as I understood what the rubber was doing.  No, it's not just a speed thing, but a connection of thought and action.

The first time I used Karis M+ on a faster blade, I used it on an Innerforce ALC.  A 2200+ player I beat for the first time in over a year said I had gone to a slower blade.  Obviously I hadn't.  But what he found interesting was that I wasn't putting his spinniest loops into the sky and off the table.  He thought I might be using a Chinese rubber but as I have said elsewhere, I don't have the stroke for those things or I would use them.  So no, Karis is not a slow rubber.  And if I am trying to spin, I am not that concerned about speed usually.  It's just that why should you give up the opportunity to add more speed when you have that much control?  

I played with a Garaydia ZLC for the first time the past two days.  I was able to play at the same level with Karis with it that I do with other blades.  The balls were faster, but I never felt I was confused as to what was happening when I missed the ball long or failed to get arc.  I don't remember making shots like this with any carbon blade before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZKrMIR-YSY&feature=youtu.be&t=2390

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 1:51pm
rocketman222, Donic Blue destroyed my TB-ALC about a year ago. Be careful with that glue. I would recommend other glues recommended by regulars here (like Vario Clean or Finezip).

NL: no, I have not tried Karis. But I get de-sensitized by some who proclaim whatever they use currently is the bestest and the greatest (whether it is Baracuda, Hexer, MX-S, T05 or Big Dipper or whatever else is new).

However, in today's day and age of $30 new-gen Tensors that are, frankly, pretty good, I find it difficult to pony up $50 + shipping.

So, my not trying Karis is not because it would not be a good rubber (I believe in Baal's recommendations). I am hesitant to pay the premium cost though.

Either ways, I am a Nexy supporter - they fill a void and I like their marketing style that is penetrative without being expensive. My suggestion is to price it similarly to their competition - if I can buy 4 new-gen Tensors for $30 each, I hope that we all should be able to buy 4 Karis for the same price. 

Same for the blades - I love where Donic priced their Ovtcharov True Carbon and also their 'WC89 series. I hope Nexy follows suit.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 2:08pm
Does any of the testers have a Karis they are not using and wouldn't mind sending to me for more testing? I will gladly pay S&H...

I just don't want to pay $50 for yet another rubber which is yet again recommended to me by tons of people on the forum - main issue here of course is that I don't play like all of you guys (and you don't play like I do) so the new rubbers I try are all fine but after a few sessions with them I usually understand they are not that much different (for me) from rubber A that I have already tried or rubber B that I already have and like etc.

Or - what also happens quite often - they could be playing very nice and even better than my regular rubber in 70-80% of the strokes but let me down (perhaps just a bit) for 20-30%. For me that is, alas, not good - I'd rather have rubber which plays slightly worse "on average" but never lets me down.

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 2:27pm

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Does any of the testers have a Karis they are not using and wouldn't mind sending to me for more testing? I will gladly pay S&H...

I just don't want to pay $50 for yet another rubber which is yet again recommended to me by tons of people on the forum - main issue here of course is that I don't play like all of you guys (and you don't play like I do) so the new rubbers I try are all fine but after a few sessions with them I usually understand they are not that much different (for me) from rubber A that I have already tried or rubber B that I already have and like etc.

Or - what also happens quite often - they could be playing very nice and even better than my regular rubber in 70-80% of the strokes but let me down (perhaps just a bit) for 20-30%. For me that is, alas, not good - I'd rather have rubber which plays slightly worse "on average" but never lets me down.
the bold part of your last sentence is what all people seem to praise Karis M about and that's why I am so interested in Karis M.

I am just saying that this could be subjective as well. But it could be true in this case, who knows...

-------------

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 2:42pm

rocketman222, Donic Blue destroyed my TB-ALC about a year ago. Be careful with that glue. I would recommend other glues recommended by regulars here (like Vario Clean or Finezip).

NL: no, I have not tried Karis. But I get de-sensitized by some who proclaim whatever they use currently is the bestest and the greatest (whether it is Baracuda, Hexer, MX-S, T05 or Big Dipper or whatever else is new).

However, in today's day and age of $30 new-gen Tensors that are, frankly, pretty good, I find it difficult to pony up $50 + shipping.

So, my not trying Karis is not because it would not be a good rubber (I believe in Baal's recommendations). I am hesitant to pay the premium cost though.

Either ways, I am a Nexy supporter - they fill a void and I like their marketing style that is penetrative without being expensive. My suggestion is to price it similarly to their competition - if I can buy 4 new-gen Tensors for $30 each, I hope that we all should be able to buy 4 Karis for the same price. 

Same for the blades - I love where Donic priced their Ovtcharov True Carbon and also their 'WC89 series. I hope Nexy follows suit.

Sigh - so my criticism of your EJing without your disclosing your level to keep context really gets to you so much that you describe my EJing that way?  Oh, well...  

I think I do a fairly good job describing the rubber accurately at my level.  I liked the rubbers you listed enough to switch to them, but I never considered them the bestest and often described them in terms of the particular problem I was trying to solve vs the prior rubber I used.  There are lots of other rubbers that I give good, objective or invisible reviews without ever switching to them or talking about my switching to them : EL-S, FX-S, EL-P, OVT,  Rakza X, Rakza X Soft, Donic Bluefire, Rasant Grip etc.

Personal attacks and other motivations aside, if you want a slightly lower price with first class mail or a drive by delivery, you can PM me.

KAris claims to be innovative and prices itself in the same range as Airoc and Regalis Blue - I think you as a freemarket advocate supports people pricing and getting rewarded freely.  If they just piggybacked on another ESN derivative, I would get your POV though.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 3:05pm

rocketman222, Donic Blue destroyed my TB-ALC about a year ago. Be careful with that glue.

For sure! It can shred a koto surface. Happened to me.

By the way the only thing I previously raved about for a relatively new and not yet well known product was XSF balls. I am not a bangwagen reviewer. Obviously I like Viscaria blades too but not a rare point of view.

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 3:35pm
NL:

re: Karis - IMO, it is good if Karis represents another type of rubber besides the ones that we have that can mostly be categorized into 4 kinds {(1) Mark V - like or slightly souped up, (2) Tenergy (3) new-gen ESN variants and (4) Chinese}.

As I said, I like Nexy - I sometimes like his thought process and have tried out his blades in the past. I just don't think I need to try an alternative to types 2 and 3 from the list above as they work for me (as they do for a vast majority of the populace).

re: my EJism - 
  • Don't confuse equipment trials with what I use (which has been stable for 6 months and hopefully shall be for another 6)
  • My goals over the last couple of years have been different than yours. Your arthritis may allow you to practice and play tournaments. My CRPS does not. I play once or twice a week in leagues only after undergoing intensive physical therapy that day and many times, morning Stellate Ganglion Blocks. 
  • EJism did not hamper my goal in 2015 & 2016 (which was simply to get to the club) in any way, so I don't take heed to any inappropriate criticism at all. At the moment, league ratings indicate my level with CRPS to oscillate from 1800 to 1950 depending on the day. However, once I beat CRPS / RSD, goal changes and so shall any equipment trial interest. Then, no one shall be keener than I regarding level. But until then, pardon me, but I shall persist. 

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 3:57pm

NL:

re: Karis - IMO, it is good if Karis represents another type of rubber besides the ones that we have that can mostly be categorized into 4 kinds {(1) Mark V - like or slightly souped up, (2) Tenergy (3) new-gen ESN variants and (4) Chinese}.

As I said, I like Nexy - I sometimes like his thought process and have tried out his blades in the past. I just don't think I need to try an alternative to types 2 and 3 from the list above as they work for me (as they do for a vast majority of the populace).

• Don't confuse equipment trials with what I use (which has been stable for 6 months and hopefully shall be for another 6)
  • My goals over the last couple of years have been different than yours. Your arthritis may allow you to practice and play tournaments. My CRPS does not. I play once or twice a week in leagues only after undergoing intensive physical therapy that day and many times, morning Stellate Ganglion Blocks. 
  • EJism did not hamper my goal in 2015 & 2016 (which was simply to get to the club) in any way, so I don't take heed to any inappropriate criticism at all. At the moment, league ratings indicate my level with CRPS to oscillate from 1800 to 1950 depending on the day. However, once I beat CRPS / RSD, goal changes and so shall any equipment trial interest. Then, no one shall be keener than I regarding level. But until then, pardon me, but I shall persist. 

SLevin, you need to somehow try and fall in love with Karis, so you can sell me your tenergy 05 at throwaway price, just kidding :)

Guys we are all the same level pretty much, amateurs who like different equipment and its one of the things that keeps us interested in the game, there is always something new to try just for kicks. 

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 4:15pm

NL:

Understood.  You are a family man at a different stage in life so your perspective is a little different from a single man like myself.  Some people say I should not play with my arthritis at all, at least competitively.  It all comes down to priorities and probably ignoring what one knows will inevitably result, but my point on this issue is always the same - I am against people discussing equipment on forums without hinting at their level close to their statements.  It is good to know that you keep your equipment stable.  I have met a few people who would consider you 2200+ based on your forum comments and are surprised when I tell them that you play at their level or in some cases lower.  Maybe if you stated your level and goals next to your statements more often, such misconceptions would not occur as often?

As for Nexy Karis, where would you class Calibra and Airoc in your scheme?  Group 1?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 4:41pm
I have been playing TT since I was 10 years old, and am in late middle age now. 

I can confidently state that Karis is qualitatively different from any of the rubbers in slevin's four categories.  It is a different animal

I am most certain about his categories 2-4.  On those, there is no question about it. Karis is qualitatively different from any of those.  I am not much of an EJ but I used T05 for a decade, the only other rubber I spent any significant time with during that decade is MX-P (although I have on rare occasions purchased things like Bluefire, and EL-P and my only reason being because of Tenergy prices; and other ESN and Stiga rubbers that I bought for the most part I disliked immediately). Also the guy who coaches me uses Hurricane on a Viscaria, and I have tried his blade quite a few times (and have no clue how you would play with that stuff).  So you can take what I say about comparing  those rubbers to Karis with confidence.  (1) I am familiar with the rubbers.  (2) I am not a chronic EJ constantly raving about what I tried this week.  To the contrary.  I am very picky.  Most of the rubber I tried during my T05 decade ended up given away or in a drawer.   

My only hesitation about SLevin's category 1 (Mark V) is that my memory of what that rubber is like may be dimmed by passage of a lot of time.  However, I strongly suspect that unless you speed glue it (and maybe even then), it won't be much like Karis.  Certainly not if I am remembering correctly.   Among other things, the topsheet structure pretty much guarantees that it has to be.  Somebody else will have to confirm or deny that because one thing for sure is I am not going to put unglued Mark V on one of my blades.

I am completely indifferent as to what rubber other people want to use, but I like Karis a LOT, enough to want to tell people about it. 

Again, the last time I really promoted something this strongly was XSF seamless balls, which I emphasize I did at a time when (based on earlier prototypes) everyone including me expected them to be God-awful terrible, and nobody wanted to try them; and everybody (including me) anticipated that Chinese seamed 40+ balls would be the best.  

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 4:43pm
Also, there are actually some other categories of rubber not in Slevin's list.  Calibra family, to name just one.  Spinart.  Others.  Karis is not like those either.

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:10pm

Also, there are actually some other categories of rubber not in Slevin's list.  Calibra family, to name just one.  Spinart.  Others.  Karis is not like those either.

I'm waiting until next week to comment on Karis in any depth (only 2 hours so far), but the rubber it's closest to from my back catalog is Airoc.  I haven't tried some of the more recent rubbers from the same factory though (ITC, Regalis) - they may be closer again.  But it's closer to Airoc than any ESN, or Butterfly, or pre-glue-ban classic, or chinese rubber.

However, the comparison with Airoc is mostly centred around the sponge and lack of catapult (i.e. linearity).  Good qualities to share.  Karis' topsheet is much, much better in almost every way than Airoc IMO.  It's more like the rubber I hoped Airoc would be when yogi mentioned that it was going to use the Calibra topsheet.  Again - it isn't the Calibra topsheet either, but it fixes so many problems I had with Airoc's topsheet that it becomes something else.

I don't think it's revolutionary or the second coming, but it's a really honest, sensible evolution of something like an Airoc, pushed more towards the middle of the market where amateur players want a bit of everything without rough edges or extreme behaviour.  If you've tried Airoc and liked it, but found the topsheet lacking in grip in comparison with other rubbers, Karis is definitely worth a look.

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:20pm
Andy added something useful, I have not tried any other rubber from this factory (certainy not Airoc, or any TSP).  So his comment is quite interesting.

I will add, though, that the pip structure of Karis is absolutely unique, and according to the designer, that is one of the main differences between Karis and everything else.  I love the grip of Karis, by the way, especially in humidity.

Posted By: IanMcg
Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:21pm
Is there anyone who has used both Elpis and Karis and would like to do a comparison?

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:24pm
AndySmith,

I hear its closer to Airoc Astro than Airoc.  But you were one of the few who took Airoc seriously.  Pingpongholic who tried BH-Man's sheet said that it was like Airoc to him.  And since I have never tried Airoc or Regalis, I pointed out that it might be like these rubbers.

But while it is not revolutionary or the second coming to you since you always ducked Tenergy for more controllable stuff even when it wasn't as spinny, it might be to people who may not even realize how much they are struggling with the non-linear behavior of other rubbers because they want to keep the spin.  The traditional solution for some people is to go Chinese or traditional - I prefer this, because the level of spin is competitive with what I am used to.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:25pm

Andy added something useful, I have not tried any other rubber from this factory (certainy not Airoc, or any TSP).  So his comment is quite interesting.

I will add, though, that the pip structure of Karis is absolutely unique, and according to the designer, that is one of the main differences between Karis and everything else.  I love the grip of Karis, by the way, especially in humidity.

I will take a picture of Nittaku Narucross GS Soft for you sometime.  The pip structure is different, but the thin topsheet is similar.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: onehander
Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 5:34pm
Andy,  so in your opinion Karis is closest to Airoc.  And the sponges are both very linear.  

My experience with Airoc Astro S was that it had great catapult and acted similar to FX-P 
in regards to the sponge.  Can I safely conclude that Airoc and Airoc Astro are completely 
opposites in regards to their sponge (Airoc being linear and Airoc Astro being more like Tenergy)?  

Also, how would you compare Karis to Tibhar Hybrid K1?  Hybrid K1 is also has a very linear sponge 
with a more elastic feel and non-tacky top sheet compared to typical Chinese rubber.

Thanks for your valuable opinions.

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

AndySmith,

I hear its closer to Airoc Astro than Airoc.  But you were one of the few who took Airoc seriously.  Pingpongholic who tried BH-Man's sheet said that it was like Airoc to him.  And since I have never tried Airoc or Regalis, I pointed out that it might be like these rubbers.

But while it is not revolutionary or the second coming to you since you always ducked Tenergy for more controllable stuff even when it wasn't as spinny, it might be to people who may not even realize how much they are struggling with the non-linear behavior of other rubbers because they want to keep the spin.  The traditional solution for some people is to go Chinese or traditional - I prefer this, because the level of spin is competitive with what I am used to.

About Astro - possibly.  I've only used Astro S in a bonkers 2.3mm sponge version and really didn't like it at the time, but I don't think my time with that one is worth the comparison from me.  

When I say it isn't revolutionary, I mean it isn't some enormous leap forward in the industry, or a brand new paradigm of wonderfulness.  What it seems to me to be (so far, anyway) is a very cleverly designed package which moves into a space in the market where there hasn't been a lot of activity or focus in recent years.  It isn't quite in a class of its own, but it isn't far off.  There have been a lot of "mild" ESN rubbers recently with more on the way, but I still feel that karis is more stable than the ones I've tried in that group (although it's also more expensive also).

If all you've used is extreme rubbers at the far end of one spectrum or another (spin for tenergy, speed for take-your-pick, etc) then Karis will feel...different for sure.  I'd be cautious about a blanket recommendation to tenergy/mx-p users because so many players seem to rely on the easy spin or large catapult the market leaders offer, and aren't prepared to sacrifice them for almost anything.  Even if they would play better with it, objectively.

Originally posted by onehander onehander wrote:

Andy,  so in your opinion Karis is closest to Airoc.  And the sponges are both very linear. 

My experience with Airoc Astro S was that it had great catapult and acted similar to FX-P 
in regards to the sponge.  Can I safely conclude that Airoc and Airoc Astro are completely 
opposites in regards to their sponge (Airoc being linear and Airoc Astro being more like Tenergy)?  

Well, no.  As above, I've only used a super-thick Astro S for a very short period of time so I can't compare reliably.  And I haven't heard many people compare Astro to Tenergy...

Karis M is similar in terms of linearity to Airoc M.  The Airoc S versions were a lot softer and that brings all the usual soft sponge caveats, including more catapulty behaviour.  I'm glad there isn't a Karis S at this point.  Best to focus on the medium sponge versions for the purpose of this comparison.

Again, worth saying that the Karis topsheet is very different to Airoc's, and that's great.  I find Karis to be closest to Airoc when considering esn or butterfly as alternative comparisons, but the topsheet on karis moves it away from Airoc so much that you shouldn't expect it to be a slight variation on the Airoc theme.  It's makes a big difference.  I'd have Karis over Airoc any day of the week, and I'm not an Airoc basher in particular.

Originally posted by onehander onehander wrote:

Also, how would you compare Karis to Tibhar Hybrid K1?  Hybrid K1 is also has a very linear sponge 
with a more elastic feel and non-tacky top sheet compared to typical Chinese rubber.

K1's topsheet is semi-tacky - definitely not non-tacky.  Just less tacky than typical chinese, sure.

Honestly, I don't want to get too dragged in to loads of comparisons at this stage.  I really want to try Karis on a wider range of blades and to give it more time.  But!  K1 is actually an interesting one to ask about because it sits in the same general zone as karis, but arrives there by different means.  The overall speeds are pretty similar, but K1's tack keeps the low-end speed a bit lower.  K1 brush loops better (as you'd expect), and maybe it has the edge on spin on hard loops too.  Karis is better almost everywhere else though, and is easier to use.  Karis is also more linear overall and just by being non-tacky brings big advantages for smashing, driving, countering.  

Honestly, the ease at which you can totally dominate other players who give you spinny, but high, balls with Karis makes you want to laugh.  I can't think of another rubber where you can just put those balls away without fear, without making noticeable sacrifices in other areas (the topsheet grip mainly).  Take Calibra Tour for example - you barely feel incoming spin with that, so hitting through spinny, high loops is a lot easier than super-reactive tenergy types.  But then you come to loop yourself and it's like anti in some respects - it demands a lot of your timing, positioning.  Karis hits a sweet spot where hitting through spin is far easier than it should be based on how spinny it is when you're putting your own on.

NextLevel's early comparison with the original Rhyzm is a good one.  Not so much in terms of feel, or overall speed, or catapult, but in how you use it, and the balance it can bring to your game.

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 7:20pm
I agree with nearly everytbing Andy said  except one thing.  i actually think Karis is a paradigm shift because of the structure and behavior of the topsheet, primarily the pips. 

Of course what to me seems important could seem less so to other people.  I attach great importance to it, more than Andy, and personally think is is every bit as innovative as Tenergy sponge was in 2008. 

I would be very curious to know how a really high level player reacted to it.  I thought at first it might be something ideal for the 1800 to 2200 range.  The more I use it the more I suspect that some much much higher players might also see value to it, maybe even more than me, since their technique is never lazy.

Anyway, I am glad about Next Level's comments that made me curious enough to try it.

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 7:39pm
AndySmith,

I hesitated to recommend it to Tenergy users for exactly the reason you gave despite being a Tenergy user myself just before switching to it.  Baal's review did pleasantly surprise me though.  I am not so much concerned with whether anyone likes it or not - I am more concerned with whether they get the same feeling of linear control that people coming to it from Tenergy experience, especially if they were not Tenergy users before coming to Karis.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 9:06pm
Here are some more comparisons emphasizing feel and resulting mindset.

I have always disliked Hurricane.  I know it is good rubber and great players use it  (actually the world's greatest players) but I grew up on Japanese rubbers and I've used Tenergy for a decade and the European rubbers I have used are designed for players who like Tenergy.  I never could play with Hurricane.  My dislike for it is so intense that after about 1-3 minutes of hitting with it, I just want to give the borrowed blade back and return to my own.  Or run away screaming.  That is true even when the Hurricane is on the same kind of blade that I use.  It doesn't matter if it's boosted or not.  I still don't like hate Hurricane.  I get that feeling every time.  I suppose in the fullness of time I could remake my strokes and anticipation enough to eventually play with Hurricane.  I just don't want to do it.  It would not be fun for me, and it would take a long time.  

Karis didn't have anything like that effect on me

It was clearly a Japanese product.  I would say it was liking listening to Italian or Spanish if you speak French.  You don't fully understand it, but you know it won't take long to figure it out.  By contrast, Chinese rubbers to me are like, well Chinese if you speak English or French.  You kind of know you are never going to get there (that analogy comes to mind because my wife is Chinese, and I really ought to be able to speak a bit more than the handful of polite phrases that I have learned by rote, but my Lord, the effort it would require!).  

Coming from Tenergy or ESN products designed to compete with Tenergy, Karis will feel just fine once you figure out you need to open your racket angle just a little more and relax just a little bit.  And you will figure that out within the first five minutes or less.  It will become very comfortable and intuitive in the first week, or less.  And you will feel invincible, as if your opponent is going to have to put the ball somewhere where you can't get your rubber cleanly on the ball.  Because if you don't mis-hit the ball, you just know it will land on the table, maybe not the greatest shot but on the table.  Anyway, that is how it will feel.  Of course you will still occasionally be overwhelmed, but it will surprise you when it happens.  And with decent relaxed body rotation, you will be able to rip with all the power you need.  I actually don't think it is at all slow at the top end.  Also if your opponent gives slow or weak topspin that you can get to, that ball is toast.  In other words, you will feel like your opponent has to hit winners.  

You will pity the fool.

Karis will put your mind at ease.  It will free you up to think about tactics and such.

Compared to classic rubbers like Sriver?  Last time I hit with some of that minus speed glue, a couple of years ago, it just felt dead.  Predictably dead, and predictability is good, but dead, is... well... not alive.  To me Karis is not dead.  I did not want to rip it off my blade within the first minute.  Or the second.  Or after a week.

Posted By: Purett
Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 9:22pm
i tried m and m+ to me they feel close to bluefire 
not the new ones the original bluefire

-------------
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

How about the weight of Karis? Is it heavy? how much does the cut rubber weigh - did anyone check that?

-------------

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 10:46pm

My only hesitation about SLevin's category 1 (Mark V) is that my memory of what that rubber is like may be dimmed by passage of a lot of time.  However, I strongly suspect that unless you speed glue it (and maybe even then), it won't be much like Karis.  Certainly not if I am remembering correctly.   Among other things, the topsheet structure pretty much guarantees that it has to be.  Somebody else will have to confirm or deny that because one thing for sure is I am not going to put unglued Mark V on one of my blades.

It was I who brought the comparison to lightly glued Mark V, even though (as I disclosed) it's been very long time since I used Mark V and my recollections are vague.  I also realize, that comparisons like this are quite subjective, so perhaps others might feel differently.

However, I will still stand by that comparison because when I played with a glued Mark V it was the last time I used a rubber that was that versatile, linear, controllable (in short game and away from the table), predictable, spinny enough,  and fast enough for me ... which resulted in a feeling that I knew exactly what was going on with almost every shot I hit or mishit.   Oh, another rubber that comes to mind when I had somewhat similar feeling of control was glued Stiga Mendo MP, though MP was meaningfully faster than Mark V, if I recall correctly.

It is very likely that Karis has a totally different sponge, pip structure, topsheet material, etc.  I don't know much about this kind of stuff - I rely mostly how the rubber feels to me and how it behaves when play with it.   

My opinions are based on playing with M+ on FH and M on BH for about a month, or between 45 and 50 hours of total play on the same blade - Nexy Calix II.  I'm an experienced, aging (LOL) but still a decent level player, who doesn't believe that equipment meaningfully affects my level of play, though it definitely has a meaningful impact on my level of enjoyment ... and I enjoy Karis quite a bit.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 11:20pm

I'm waiting until next week to comment on Karis in any depth (only 2 hours so far), but the rubber it's closest to from my back catalog is Airoc.  I haven't tried some of the more recent rubbers from the same factory though (ITC, Regalis) - they may be closer again.  But it's closer to Airoc than any ESN, or Butterfly, or pre-glue-ban classic, or chinese rubber.

However, the comparison with Airoc is mostly centred around the sponge and lack of catapult (i.e. linearity).  Good qualities to share.  Karis' topsheet is much, much better in almost every way than Airoc IMO.  It's more like the rubber I hoped Airoc would be when yogi mentioned that it was going to use the Calibra topsheet.  Again - it isn't the Calibra topsheet either, but it fixes so many problems I had with Airoc's topsheet that it becomes something else.

I don't think it's revolutionary or the second coming, but it's a really honest, sensible evolution of something like an Airoc, pushed more towards the middle of the market where amateur players want a bit of everything without rough edges or extreme behaviour.  If you've tried Airoc and liked it, but found the topsheet lacking in grip in comparison with other rubbers, Karis is definitely worth a look.

Hi, Andy.  Karis sounds like a very interesting rubber.  I know you don't want to say a lot in the way of comparisons to other rubbers right now, but at some point I'd be interested to hear how Karis M plays compared to Omega 5 Asia, another rubber you've used with good topsheet grip and linear behavior.

Date Posted: 01/20/2017 at 11:59pm

Hi, Andy.  Karis sounds like a very interesting rubber.  I know you don't want to say a lot in the way of comparisons to other rubbers right now, but at some point I'd be interested to hear how Karis M plays compared to Omega 5 Asia, another rubber you've used with good topsheet grip and linear behavior.

I can answer that. OVAL is hard sponged and that makes the effort level on aggressive strokes much higher. It is also much more spin sensitive. The soft top sheet makes it spinnier than Karis with a potentially higher top end but just about worse in every other way.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 12:34am

Hmm.  I dont get that feel at all.  To me M1 and M2 and MX-P have a lot in common.  Great rubbers, and quite interchangeable even though the three are obviously not identical. I might put MXP right between M1 and M2, but maybe a touch faster?  In any case to me they are much more non-linear than Karis IMHO.  Bouncier for sure.

I liked Bluefire but it aims at Tenergy and I think Karis is not designed to be like that at all.

Maybe different aspects of the feel are important to us?  Feel is pretty subective sometimes, even though it is also crucial

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 4:49am

I agree with nearly everytbing Andy said  except one thing.  i actually think Karis is a paradigm shift because of the structure and behavior of the topsheet, primarily the pips.  

Of course what to me seems important could seem less so to other people.  I attach great importance to it, more than Andy, and personally think is is every bit as innovative as Tenergy sponge was in 2008.  

Baal has gone big for karis here.  I've already said too much - I've only had one week with it.  But it says a lot that Baal - a loooong time tenergy user not prone to lose his mind over new toys - would say something like this.

I can answer that. OVAL is hard sponged and that makes the effort level on aggressive strokes much higher. It is also much more spin sensitive. The soft top sheet makes it spinnier than Karis with a potentially higher top end but just about worse in every other way.

Yeah, I agree with NL's analysis but not 100% his conclusion because "worse" means different things to different people of course.  I love OVA and always struggle to find something that works better on my FH wing.  I had very low expectations that karis would be an option on my FH simply because I'm so used to OVA and what it does, and it might pan out that way in the end.

OVA's topsheet is one of the grippiest on the market and it supports a heavy brush loop.  As NL says, this makes it very spin sensitive as well, and this is a trade-off I can accept because OVA's hard sponge takes the edge off in most circumstances.  If OVA had a bouncier sponge, or more catapult, it would be too much for me to handle and I would have dropped it ages ago.

Karis M+ gets close to the sponge hardness of OVA, but the topsheet has less grip.  This makes it easier to use in lots of situations, but far less dangerous for the opponent on a brush loop.  The personal question for me is similar to that faced by many other eurojap users when thinking about karis - can I sacrifice the big thing I use and rely on in my current rubber, and trade it off against real-world performance and reduced errors?  I don't know.

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 8:02am

Yeah, I agree with NL's analysis but not 100% his conclusion because "worse" means different things to different people of course.  I love OVA and always struggle to find something that works better on my FH wing.  I had very low expectations that karis would be an option on my FH simply because I'm so used to OVA and what it does, and it might pan out that way in the end.

OVA's topsheet is one of the grippiest on the market and it supports a heavy brush loop.  As NL says, this makes it very spin sensitive as well, and this is a trade-off I can accept because OVA's hard sponge takes the edge off in most circumstances.  If OVA had a bouncier sponge, or more catapult, it would be too much for me to handle and I would have dropped it ages ago.

Karis M+ gets close to the sponge hardness of OVA, but the topsheet has less grip.  This makes it easier to use in lots of situations, but far less dangerous for the opponent on a brush loop.  The personal question for me is similar to that faced by many other eurojap users when thinking about karis - can I sacrifice the big thing I use and rely on in my current rubber, and trade it off against real-world performance and reduced errors?  I don't know.

Everyone has their personal preferences but for brush looping, OVA is not that much better than Karis M (not M+).   M+ is too fast. 

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 8:17am

Thanks, Next Level and Andy.  I bought OVA last year partially based on the reviews that both of you gave it.  I enjoyed the topsheet grip and the blocking and control on a lot of shots. But I used it for close to 5 months and could never completely feel comfortable with the hard sponge--Maybe because of what Next Level said about it requiring so much effort on hard strokes.
When it's time for me to purchase new rubbers, I will definitely consider Karis M.

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 4:59pm
In spite of my new rubber, I sucked today.  You still have to move. Arrgh.

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 5:22pm
i think tenergy is better

-------------
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 5:23pm
Wink

-------------
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001

Date Posted: 01/21/2017 at 10:31pm

i think friedship 729 fx and super soft are better

Which of the Frienship rubbers were you using when we played today?  Did you use them to wrap your injured knee?  Smile

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Posted By: NoFootwork
Date Posted: 01/22/2017 at 10:29am
Can someone provide a comparison between Xiom Sigma 2 Pro and Karis M and Karis M+.  Thanks.

Date Posted: 01/22/2017 at 1:03pm

How about the weight of Karis? Is it heavy? how much does the cut rubber weigh - did anyone check that?

I have a direct comparison.  My setup with Karis M on both sides is 181 g, down from 187 g when it has MX-P on both sides.  I didn't measure cut rubber.  In my estimation, that would make Karis M a fairly average weight rubber, since MX-P is on the heavy side.

Date Posted: 01/22/2017 at 1:44pm

I have a direct comparison.  My setup with Karis M on both sides is 181 g, down from 187 g when it has MX-P on both sides.  I didn't measure cut rubber.  In my estimation, that would make Karis M a fairly average weight rubber, since MX-P is on the heavy side.

I just weighed my sheets, which are cut to Nexy Calix II blade - M+ is 48g and M is 46g without any glue on the sponge. I hope this helps

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 01/22/2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

i think friedship 729 fx and super soft are better

Which of the Frienship rubbers were you using when we played today?  Did you use them to wrap your injured knee?  Smile

thats y i use tenergy
just for the knee even tho 729 does wonders for the knee

-------------
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001

Date Posted: 01/23/2017 at 8:55am
New review sheets are:

Karis M - Red - 2.0mm
Karis M+ - Black - 2.2mm

Karis M Review

Speed.  M is a variable offensive kind of rubber, and is fast enough to do the job a two-winged looper needs, dependent on blade selection.  It isn't allround in speed, but it brings an interesting feel and super-balanced power delivery that can surprise initially.  The low gears aren't as bouncy or catapulty as many of the most popular offensive rubbers on the market, and the high gears don't have the top-end speed of the fastest rubbers in this category either.  The middle gears are where M does its best work with just enough extra catapult to make general play a pleasure.  I use the term "gears" here in the general sense, but honestly it's hard to pick out the gears in Karis M - using it feels very smooth and natural with no particular "spikes" in speed anywhere.

Spin.  The Karis topsheet is great, much better than any of the previous modern rubbers from this factory that I've tried.  It lacks a tiny bit of immediate bite in comparison with hyper-grippy stuff, but easily has enough grip to get the job done.  It's a class above the chinese-made euro-style crowd (729 Battle, Yinhe Target Europe) and better than the cheaper end of ESN (Plaxxon, Acuda Blue) IMO.  You don't get the ease of spin generation of a tenergy, and I get more out of brush loops from OVA, but it is by no means bad.  I actually found that I got more out of Karis M on serves than my regular setup because I could get more action on the ball while keeping the ball short.

Short Game.  Excellent.  A real stand-out, and a marked improvement on my current setup.  When pushing, I found it very easy to vary between a floaty short touch and more of a dig to generate back spin.  With the linear and predictable behavior I found I had more options in situations like this (and across the board really) without something dramatic happening - fewer popups, fewer netted returns from incoming backspin.  Also, attacking serves or short backspin balls with a BH flick is very safe and gives excellent results.  If I misread the incoming ball, I still get something that lands on the other side instead of an error.

Throw.  I'd call it medium in general, if I had to give a misleading average.  The key thing about throw is that it's very dependent on the player, the situation, and the context of level (and the level of the opponent).  But although I found the throw to be medium in general, I also found Karis M to be one of the easiest rubbers I've ever used in terms of modifying the throw.  This is more a result of the overall package (sponge hardness, topsheet grip and elasticity), but it all goes towards the idea of options during play.  Take the example above about BH service receive - if I decide to attack a short backspin serve I find I have a very wide margin for error because the rubber doesn't go wild if I use more wrist to generate action on the ball.  If I overestimate the backspin with Karis M , I tend to produce a high throw return with more spin.  Sure, it's a high ball which might invite an attack, but I'm still in the point.  It's the same with looping backspin, or counterlooping too - Karis M gives a big window to operate in, and I was constantly surprised with how progressive I could be with shot selection, and I had to give myself a few mental reminders during play that I should be doing more with the ball and fear the situation less.

Looping.  I got good results from general play with Karis M, but I did notice a lack of threat.  I won more points through placement and counterlooping heavy incoming balls than I would usually do, but I certainly lost some of my ability to over-spin opponents at my level.  The ease of throw adjustment makes loop-loop exchanges effective and enjoyable, but I would possibly need a faster blade to make best use of put-away opportunities.

Direct play - smashing, blocking.  Probably the weaker area for me with Karis M.  Smashes needed a bit more effort, and blocking required the most adjustment because I was used to some immediate catapult from my regular setup.  Once adjusted (slight opening of the blade angle, slightly more active), blocking became very solid.  Lack of basic speed is the issue for me in this area, but I've been using slower blades in recent times and a faster/harder blade choice would iron this out.  This is more down to what I'm used to than Karis itself I think.

Overall.  Pithy headline to miss the point - Karis M is medium everything.  The real value comes from the detail - it's balanced, no rough edges or extreme behavior.  To get this kind of real-world solidity in a rubber you usually have to make a big compromise somewhere - a very hard sponge, or a spin-insensitive topsheet, or a lack of rebound and catapult.  Karis M achieves the balance and predictability without going down these roads.  Who is it aimed at?  I still think the feel and behavior is closest to a lightly-glued japanese classic, so for those people who miss those days then it's an interesting proposition.  Players who want a solid-performing rubber for a general modern topspin game with a full variety of strokes, but find big hitters on the market like MX-P or T05 hard to handle in some way.  Who should be careful?  Players who rely on specific stand-out qualities in their current equipment.  If you really like MX-P for its large catapult, or T05 for its immediate and endless grip, or H3N for tack and hardness, then you may feel like you have traded something essential.  And sometimes we don't even know we are relying on some specific property of our equipment until we try something different.

I like Karis M, and I feel like I play better with it (on my BH wing more than FH), and I really enjoy playing more expansive shots with fewer unforced errors.  It's fast enough in most situations for me and my level (I can still hit long when I want to).  It's more expensive than my usual ESN selection, and I'm not sure about the durability yet (initial signs are good though).  As a side note, Karis is clearly a big jump in performance for the factory that makes it, and it bodes well for future releases IMO.

Karis M+ Review

I don't think that there isn't much point covering the same ground as above for M+, but if anyone wants more detail here then please ask.  Essentially it's the same topsheet on a harder sponge of course, but the hardness is a fair whack more.  I found the spin on brush loops to be higher but the throw overall to be lower.  Speed is higher in general (and seems to be much higher on faster blades, whereas regular M didn't seem to give the same jump in speed), and although the character remains very linear the middle gears are less "flexible" - what I'm trying to convey is that M+ doesn't have the same degree of usability in middle effort shots because the arc stays lower for the same effort.  M+ retains the Karis standout of easy play and stability, especially on counters (really easy to hit through spin, given enough height to work with), and performs better for punches, but the extra speed and hardness is gained at the loss of some of the magic middle gear fluidity (I can't think of a better description for it).  Whereas it's hard to think of direct comparisons with M, I feel that M+ has more in common with other highly linear, hard-sponged, direct-playing rubbers like Acuda Blue P1 Turbo.

All that said, at this stage I had a slight preference for M+ on my FH wing over M simply because I'm used to harder sponges on that wing and everything that comes with them.

Note - following the review section above is a record of the initial sessions I had with Karis and my stream-of-consciousness thoughts about the rubber as time went on.  Hopefully it will add background and detail to the summery review above, but if you aren't interested in how things unfolded then please stop now and do not read on - I do not want to waste your precious time.

Initial Inspection

Out of the packet there is a slight dome, no obvious tuning smell but a moderately sharp rubbery/chemical smell, and the quality is very high (only odd thing is that the M+ is quite a bit smaller than the M when uncut).  Karis shares the dome and smell with other rubbers I've used from the same factory - Airoc, Samba 27.  They're both slightly lighter than ESN or Butterfly equivalents in the same class, but they're not featherweights by any means.

Although there are some similarities with stablemates like Airoc (the sponge being the main thing), the topsheets are totally unlike anything I've seen from this factory before (I haven't tried some recent releases though).  They don't have the shiny finish of the Airocs and have good grip right from the start of a finger rub.  The red sheet looks a bit dull in colour in comparison with ESN/Butterfly, but top quality regardless.

They're easy to cut but I find the slight dome makes fixing to the blade slightly more awkward than, say. recent ESN rubbers which lay totally flat.  It reminds me a little of the slight dome you get with older-gen ESN like Aurus or Rakza 7, which I also found needed a touch of care when slicking down.

A quick bounce test is interesting - the difference between M and M+ is large with M+ being quite a lot harder overall than M.  Spin test is very, very promising with both sheets showing excellent grip and high rotation on wristy brushes.  The black M+ seems a bit spinnier to me (and more reactive to the spin of the dropping ball), but that could just be the sponge hardness helping out in a simple test like this.

First Session - Gewo Zoom Balance

I decided to go with the blade I've been using most recently - the Zoom Balance.  It's a fairly stiff 6.2mm thick allround+ blade, medium/soft feel, limba outers, 92g, solid.  Regular rubbers are 402 Limber on BH and Omega V Asia on FH.

During warm up it becomes obvious that both M and M+ aren't the fastest rubbers out there.  This is fine for me - my regular setup isn't massively fast, and these compare well enough for me.  But as someone who has already taken a step away from catapult monsters like MX-P, and from jumpy, highly-reactive spin freaks like T05, I already know which side my bread is buttered.  Karis falls right in my target zone for controlled attack in terms of speed, but people who are used to the fastest rubbers out there should know that this is a small step down in raw speed.  Karis has a lot of excellent properties itself though, so if speed is the only issue then a blade change could be an option.  If you're already using MX-P on a Schlager Carbon and can't abide the thought of going any slower then stay away from Karis (and from most other rubbers, and from me you nutter).

During a session of mixed training drills, the obvious headline that jumps out from the page is "intuitive, balanced, well-mannered".  It's really quiet hard to make this rubber do something unusual, surprising or extreme.  This also means that it isn't pushing into any areas of extreme performance either - no enormous catapult to help you from distance with your lazy half-stroke, no ludicrous grab to put massive spin on a ball you mis-hit because you were out of position.  But it certainly does enough, and offers more than enough performance for someone at my average level to get any job done.  

At this early stage, I'm very impressed with both M and M+.  They sit in an area of the market where there aren't many quality options IMO, and it's certainly the best of the bunch I can think of.  If you take the slower ESN crowd (Musa being the obvious example), Karis feels far less "capped" in terms of overall performance while still being just as easy to use in the short game.  Of course, Karis is more expensive too.

Second Session - Rubicon

I didn't really want to use Rubicon with Karis so early because I didn't want to introduce a new blade to the equation as well.  But in between this second session and the first, I put my regular setup onto Rubicon and spent a few hours with it and established enough of a baseline to get comfortable in my mind.  For the purposes of the reader - Rubicon is lighter than the Zoom Balance but ever so slightly faster and a touch harder on initial impact.  I'll be doing a Rubicon review later on of course.

But anyway - I went to a small local-ish tournament this weekend and took Rubicon with Karis M on BH, but kept OVA on FH for the sake of safety.   It was an interesting event, and the official UK supplier of Nexy was there sponsoring it and running a stand ( http://www.ppong.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://www.ppong.co.uk/ ) , so it was interesting for several reasons.  The chap who runs it is a super nice guy, a pretty high level player, won the group 1 event and was using karis himself, so it was a regular karis love-in.  He sold a fair few sheets of it as well.

I was in the group below (2 of 5), and did much better than I had anticipated (5W 2L, joint second position overall).  What stood out to me about Karis in this situation was how it seemed to help me in unfamiliar surroundings against players I'd never seen before.  It has very few rough edges in how it plays - if any.  So when you're not 100% sure about the situation you get a lot of margin for error.  I feel that, in comparison with recent rubbers I've used, it helped a lot with service return (against unfamiliar opponents), tight play, and (most importantly on the day itself - a few good choppers were there) for opening up against backspin.  Karis's nature is such that when I don't get an opener quite right, instead of the ball going long or into the net, I get a sort-of high return that still lands on the table.  Sure, some of those got chewed up, but some didn't and overall my "idiot" error rate was much lower than usual.  At the same time, some of my openers were really good and I don't feel like I had to make any sacrifice to gain the error reduction.  Maybe, maybe, my blocking wasn't quite as good as usual, and I had to be a bit more active when taking an empty ball on from mid-table (lack of low-end catapult), but it was very minor.  Karis encourages you to be more active and progressive anyway - I found myself attacking serves more often and lifting "riskier" (in my mind) backspin simply because it was that bit harder to mess it up in comparison with my usual setup.

Third Session - Levi Basalt

M and M+ on the Levi Basalt, which is my Viscaria-type equivalent (bit softer, bit slower, but much faster than the Zoom Balance or Rubicon).  3 hour session, drills followed by practice matches.

Nothing much to add about this experience over and above the earlier sessions apart from the basic speed of course.  What I found interesting here is that M was still excellent for me - still very manageable, lively in the middle gears in a nice way, good arc and spin for effort strokes, very easy to use in the short game, with "enough" speed (certainly enough for anyone I would say now it's on a faster blade).  The additional basic speed, plus M's easy-going low-gear nature, makes this setup amazingly good for opening against backspin with power, and the setup becomes very solid for loop-reloop from half distance too.

I was surprised by M+ here though - whereas M felt reasonable and balanced (pumped up by the blade in a sensible, understandable way), M+ felt much faster than on the previous blades.  With me coming from slower setups these days, playing closer in, and with an emphasis on controlled offense, M+ was obviously too much on the Levi for me.  M would do a great job on both wings for an aggressive two-winged looper on a fast-ish blade for sure, and in terms of how the overall setup played it compared very well to something like a Bluefire M2 - I'd say equal in spin, slightly lower throw, but far easier to use and more forgiving.  The rubbers are very different, but can be used for a similar game style of generic two-winged loop attack, if you catch my meaning.  Whereas M+ felt too hard and low catapult for that style of play, but too fast for my close-in play too on this blade.   It felt like it would suit more of a hard-hitting, counter-attacking style, although I did feel that it brush looped well in this session too.

Date Posted: 01/23/2017 at 9:31am
Andy, what would you estimate the organizer's USATT rating to be? What is is ETTA ranking?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net