Print Page | Close Window

Short pimple recommendations

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators:

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78248
Printed Date: 02/21/2017 at 4:06pm


Topic: Short pimple recommendations
Posted By: mog1111
Subject: Short pimple recommendations
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 5:52am
I am considering going back to short pimples.

I used about 10 years ago reissman orthodox pimples which I glued on to 1.0mm sponge.

these were very insensitive to spin and I was able to hit through most stuff off the bounce, shakehand backhand.

I wondered what people might recommend.
I will be putting them on a samsonov force pro blue, but might put them on a slower 5 ply if that is too uncontrollable

I want control and insensitivity to spin. I don't want spinny pimples, whats the point, I don't want long pimple devious effect.

I think I want fairly large pimples that I can basically hit off the bounce with. I have a pretty strong bh in general.

im thinking friendship 802 original as a good starting point in 1.5mm or possibly something with a 1.0mm sponge fitted?

any opinions would be warmly welcomed, I will probably twiddle

does more sponge make them too bouncy and give opponent easy balls to counter?

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S



Replies:
Posted By: kakapo
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 6:30am
Butterfly challenger attack.

-------------
Never faster than the max....


Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 7:24am
Well, if you want to use SP for hitting then 1.0mm sponge will be too slow for finishing off a point with the new plastic ball. Maybe 1.8mm sponge is better to work with here. With a clipper-like construction, force pro is probably a very good choice for SP. I suggest you get 802 SP. I've used those in max sponge. I didn't found them to be bouncy enough to cause me problems like high pop ups during pushing. Tensor pips like waran/hexer are the bouncy ones. I've found that 5 ply blades with less than 6mm thickness are not good for pips if you want to attack.

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 7:35am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Well, if you want to use SP for hitting then 1.0mm sponge will be too slow for finishing off a point with the new plastic ball. Maybe 1.8mm sponge is better to work with here. With a clipper-like construction, force pro is probably a very good choice for SP. I suggest you get 802 SP. I've used those in max sponge. I didn't found them to be bouncy enough to cause me problems like high pop ups during pushing. Tensor pips like waran/hexer are the bouncy ones. I've found that 5 ply blades with less than 6mm thickness are not good for pips if you want to attack.


thanks I like the look of 802 as they seem less spinny. I have quite a powerful bh I used hit enough winners with 1.0mm in the celluloid days but maybe the ball had an effect.
I tried tsp spin magic very briefly in 1.5mm but I used a carbon blade that was wildy too fast for them for me.

I don't want too much sponge if it will be too bouncy??

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 8:22am
I didn't find 802 much bouncy, maybe it was because I was coming from 1st gen ESN tensors at the time (nimbus soft). So, it probably was "relatively" not-bouncy for me. I'm guessing you'll be fine with 1.5 mm on an all wood blade. I used 802 with mystery iii sponge, which I've heard is more firm compared to the regular softer sponge that I've never used.

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2


Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 8:23am
check this
%20" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51411&PN=1&title=spinny-deceptive-short-pip

%20" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50267&title=spinniest-nonbutterfly-short-pips

%20" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48410&title=fastest-short-pips



Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 10:10am
I have used lp frictionless and friction, reissman sp with sponge, all thickness of Tibhar super defence even 0.5 and still been able to hit bhs with them

I want to take the ball early and hit throught the spin, but I don't want it too bouncy so I can be more aggressive against sidespin serves etc

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 02/07/2017 at 11:09am
So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2


Posted By: rulia
Date Posted: 02/08/2017 at 3:14am
killer 1.5


Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/08/2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.


the thinner you go will have more misshits


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/08/2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.


the thinner you go will have more misshits


but surely more control against spin which is what I want otherwise I may as well stay inverted??

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: jt99sf
Date Posted: 02/08/2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.


the thinner you go will have more misshits


That's not true.  

It sounds like you're going hardbat. Try Dr Evil.


-------------
TBS Black Tag: T25(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/08/2017 at 2:19pm
I don't want to go that far, I think 1.0mm possibly 1.5mm at the most

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: ChichoFicho
Date Posted: 02/08/2017 at 5:24pm
Nittaku Hammond FA Speed is the best overall. Just like the old Butterfly Resilon!

-------------
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen


Posted By: gnopgnipster
Date Posted: 02/08/2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I am considering going back to short pimples.

I used about 10 years ago reissman orthodox pimples which I glued on to 1.0mm sponge.

these were very insensitive to spin and I was able to hit through most stuff off the bounce, shakehand backhand.

I wondered what people might recommend.
I will be putting them on a samsonov force pro blue, but might put them on a slower 5 ply if that is too uncontrollable

I want control and insensitivity to spin. I don't want spinny pimples, whats the point, I don't want long pimple devious effect.

I think I want fairly large pimples that I can basically hit off the bounce with. I have a pretty strong bh in general.

im thinking friendship 802 original as a good starting point in 1.5mm or possibly something with a 1.0mm sponge fitted?

any opinions would be warmly welcomed, I will probably twiddle

does more sponge make them too bouncy and give opponent easy balls to counter?
If you liked Reisman short pimples with sponge you will love Valor Premier with sponge. 

-------------
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor prototype FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

www.valortabletennis.com


Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/09/2017 at 1:56am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.


the thinner you go will have more misshits


but surely more control against spin which is what I want otherwise I may as well stay inverted??


you need a spinny pips like waran or 889-2


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 6:39am
I've ordered some 802-40 in 1.5mm. I think that should be a good place to start, I can always adjust rubber thickness try something else at some point.

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 7:42am
It's a great rubber. Have fun

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2


Posted By: nathanso
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 9:05am
I retested 802-40 recently and found it to be disappointing. Better options are Legend 105 (good), TSP Super Spinpips (better), Nittaku Beautry (best). As with inverted rubber, you get what you pay for, and newer products that were designed for the 40+ polyball work better with the 40+ polyball.

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com" rel="nofollow - BBC Ghost, Nittaku Beautry, Giant Dragon Talon OX


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 9:49am
maybe but got to start somewhere

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I retested 802-40 recently and found it to be disappointing. Better options are Legend 105 (good), TSP Super Spinpips (better), Nittaku Beautry (best). As with inverted rubber, you get what you pay for, and newer products that were designed for the 40+ polyball work better with the 40+ polyball.


actually moristo and waran are better than beautry being cheaper


Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

So give 1.0mm a try then. Given your past experiance with pips, you'll probably be more comfortable with 1.0mm thick sponge. Flat hitting dosen't involve sponge anyway, it's only when driving you need thicker sponge to generate enough spin to keep the ball on table. I drive a lot more so thicker sponge becomes more important to me that way.


the thinner you go will have more misshits



That's not true.  

It sounds like you're going hardbat. Try Dr Evil.


I Have played with thinner 802 and the control was lower than 2.0mm but more sink


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 11:02am
that will probably suit me, but I just wanted something to try initially, in the past I have preferred sp with less sponge but not used them for a long time

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I retested 802-40 recently and found it to be disappointing. Better options are Legend 105 (good), TSP Super Spinpips (better), Nittaku Beautry (best). As with inverted rubber, you get what you pay for, and newer products that were designed for the 40+ polyball work better with the 40+ polyball.


Soft sponge short pips from 40mm era don't do well with 40+ balls. The mystery iii sponge that I've used with 802-40 with performs pretty good with the poly ball. Which sponge did you use? If its the cream coloured super soft sponge then I agree with what you're saying, that it's not good for 40+.

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2


Posted By: nathanso
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Soft sponge short pips from 40mm era don't do well with 40+ balls. The mystery iii sponge that I've used with 802-40 with performs pretty good with the poly ball. Which sponge did you use? If its the cream coloured super soft sponge then I agree with what you're saying, that it's not good for 40+.

I got it from Zeropong.com who describes the 802-40 sponge as follows: " Zeropong has arranged for a special production of 35 degree soft sponge, (note that this is NOT the poor playing German version)." The sponge is white/off-white, iirc.

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com" rel="nofollow - BBC Ghost, Nittaku Beautry, Giant Dragon Talon OX


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 1:59pm
the ones I have apparently have the improves 35 degree sponge

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 02/10/2017 at 2:11pm
Mystery iii sponge is lettuce colored, 40 degrees. The packaging says that it's tensioned sponge. I don't know about "tensioned" part, it didn't feel that way but, it sure was quite fast and elastic, about as fast as hexer pips if not faster, and much harder.

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/13/2017 at 7:17pm
LOL

well I really did not like 802-40 in the very brief knock I had.
I think I am going top persevere with H3N or try Evolution EL-S for a while longer.

-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: dabookerman
Date Posted: 02/13/2017 at 11:26pm
If you don't like skinny short pips then you DEFINITELY do not want to get anywhere near Waran, Xiom Zava, or any of the tensioned pips. Spinlord Degu is a pretty good choice and you can get it with pretty thin sponge.

-------------
Clipper

T80

Xiom Zava short pips





Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/14/2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

If you don't like skinny short pips then you DEFINITELY do not want to get anywhere near Waran, Xiom Zava, or any of the tensioned pips. Spinlord Degu is a pretty good choice and you can get it with pretty thin sponge.


waran and zava are very diffrent


Posted By: AcudaDave
Date Posted: 02/14/2017 at 10:45am
Ok... I'm not surprised you weren't very fond of 802-40 as I've never been fond of them either, and I've played with a lot of SPs. TSP has long been considered the premier maker of SPs, so I would try to find one of their pips. Tabletennisstore.US has 15 different TSP pips out rubbers and Spectol Speed comes in 1.0 - 1.3 mm sponge: http://tabletennisstore.us/p-2263-tsp-spectol-speed-short-pips-table-tennis-rubber.aspx

I think you would like this rubber very well, but feel free to read up on some of the other SPs too. The new Spectol Blue comes in a thickness somewhere around 1.5 and this might be good as well. It won't be very spinny, but will be good for blocking and hitting. Best of luck.

-------------
BBC NINE
Joola Rhyzm Tech Max
Victas 102 1.8 mm
~2200


Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 02/14/2017 at 10:49am
cheers I had tsp magic pips once they were quite interesting


-------------
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
FH: Evolution EL-S
BH: Evolution EL-S


Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/16/2017 at 12:04am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Ok... I'm not surprised you weren't very fond of 802-40 as I've never been fond of them either, and I've played with a lot of SPs. TSP has long been considered the premier maker of SPs, so I would try to find one of their pips. Tabletennisstore.US has 15 different TSP pips out rubbers and Spectol Speed comes in 1.0 - 1.3 mm sponge: http://tabletennisstore.us/p-2263-tsp-spectol-speed-short-pips-table-tennis-rubber.aspx

I think you would like this rubber very well, but feel free to read up on some of the other SPs too. The new Spectol Blue comes in a thickness somewhere around 1.5 and this might be good as well. It won't be very spinny, but will be good for blocking and hitting. Best of luck.



looking for something with control not much spin sensitive enough to open serves like moristo or hexer pips but less spin reactive


Posted By: obesechopper
Date Posted: 02/16/2017 at 12:25am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Ok... I'm not surprised you weren't very fond of 802-40 as I've never been fond of them either, and I've played with a lot of SPs. TSP has long been considered the premier maker of SPs, so I would try to find one of their pips. Tabletennisstore.US has 15 different TSP pips out rubbers and Spectol Speed comes in 1.0 - 1.3 mm sponge: http://tabletennisstore.us/p-2263-tsp-spectol-speed-short-pips-table-tennis-rubber.aspx

I think you would like this rubber very well, but feel free to read up on some of the other SPs too. The new Spectol Blue comes in a thickness somewhere around 1.5 and this might be good as well. It won't be very spinny, but will be good for blocking and hitting. Best of luck.



looking for something with control not much spin sensitive enough to open serves like moristo or hexer pips but less spin reactive

Spinlord Keiler or Gipfelsturm are good ones. The gipfelsturm has less spin than spectol in 1.8 for reference. The keiler has a bit more spin than 563 and is close to spectol, or slightly spinnier I recall. 

Gipfelsturm is the best rubber I've used for passive blocking, in so far as you can control most any shot launched at you. Heavy spins are nullified to a great degree. As a result, the attacking potential does decline a bit.


Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/16/2017 at 12:50am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Ok... I'm not surprised you weren't very fond of 802-40 as I've never been fond of them either, and I've played with a lot of SPs. TSP has long been considered the premier maker of SPs, so I would try to find one of their pips. Tabletennisstore.US has 15 different TSP pips out rubbers and Spectol Speed comes in 1.0 - 1.3 mm sponge: http://tabletennisstore.us/p-2263-tsp-spectol-speed-short-pips-table-tennis-rubber.aspx

I think you would like this rubber very well, but feel free to read up on some of the other SPs too. The new Spectol Blue comes in a thickness somewhere around 1.5 and this might be good as well. It won't be very spinny, but will be good for blocking and hitting. Best of luck.



looking for something with control not much spin sensitive enough to open serves like moristo or hexer pips but less spin reactive


Spinlord Keiler or Gipfelsturm are good ones. The gipfelsturm has less spin than spectol in 1.8 for reference. The keiler has a bit more spin than 563 and is close to spectol, or slightly spinnier I recall. 

Gipfelsturm is the best rubber I've used for passive blocking, in so far as you can control most any shot launched at you. Heavy spins are nullified to a great degree. As a result, the attacking potential does decline a bit.


have played with keiler and its hard to attack I m a cpen


Posted By: ronakvyas86
Date Posted: 02/16/2017 at 4:54am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:



have played with keiler and its hard to attack I m a cpen


I don't like keiler for attacking on my cpen FH either. But, I like it for RPB. Not as easy as short pip for rpb but still doable. Attacking is easy with hinoki carbon blade. Gives a lot of trouble to my opponents. It's fast and the spin is like 802 when driving

-------------
1. Ovtcharov Carbospeed CPEN, Baracuda, Keiler

2. Goiabao 5 CPEN, Baracuda, Hexer Pips

3. YEO CPEN, Agrit Speed, 802-40

4. JRE CPEN, MX-P, Aurus

5. Septear FL, Acuda S1 Turbo×2



Print Page | Close Window