Print Page | Close Window

Spectol Red Review (sort of)

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78425
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 4:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Spectol Red Review (sort of)
Posted By: mjamja
Subject: Spectol Red Review (sort of)
Date Posted: 02/27/2017 at 7:30pm
Got in my Spectol Red from Table Tennis 11.

First was the interesting ordering issue.  Seems that my bank is a big Trump supporter and as such does not allow my credit card to purchase anything from outside the US.  There was a procedure for filling out forms for temporary use at European stores if I could prove that the equivalent items could not be purchased from a US source.  Luckily during the discussion of those forms I was told, "Oh, you mean ping pong stuff.  No one cares about that.  We will put your request right through".

Sponge is very fine pored.  Almost looks solid.  It is soft, but not quite as soft as the Dawei sponge that Cole put under the 802-40 topsheet for me.  Spectol pips are a little smaller in diameter than the 802-40 (more open space on topsheet) and seem just slightly longer.  That might just be an aspect ratio effect.  When you run your finger across the sheet the Spectol pips bend a lot more than the 802-40 pips. 

A quick bounce test did confirm that the Spectol Red has a lot higher bounce than the 802 (even vs the Dawei sponge that is faster than the Zero Pong ). The playing test did not tell me much.  I felt that I was hitting just the same as the 802-40.  Not aware that I had to change strokes  at all.  Maybe it was faster on lowered effort strokes but top speed seemed the same..  Surprisingly to me, the Spectol seemed to generate more  spin than the 802-40.  I was able to go from a spiny topspin to a dead punch very easily with the Spectol.

Considering I once played 20min with IQUL  before I realized I did not have my Tenergy  blade, my impressions are pretty useless.  I did notice "some" difference between my Big Dipper inverted and the Spectol when I hit a couple of Fhs with the pips.  So I do have some feel.

Most likely the change will make no difference in my game.  Will play some more this week and try to get some feedback from my opponents.

Mark- No technique, no tactics, no feel.

Replies:
Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 02/27/2017 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Got in my Spectol Red from Table Tennis 11.

First was the interesting ordering issue.  Seems that my bank is a big Trump supporter and as such does not allow my credit card to purchase anything from outside the US.  There was a procedure for filling out forms for temporary use at European stores if I could prove that the equivalent items could not be purchased from a US source.  Luckily during the discussion of those forms I was told, "Oh, you mean ping pong stuff.  No one cares about that.  We will put your request right through".

Sponge is very fine pored.  Almost looks solid.  It is soft, but not quite as soft as the Dawei sponge that Cole put under the 802-40 topsheet for me.  Spectol pips are a little smaller in diameter than the 802-40 (more open space on topsheet) and seem just slightly longer.  That might just be an aspect ratio effect.  When you run your finger across the sheet the Spectol pips bend a lot more than the 802-40 pips. 

A quick bounce test did confirm that the Spectol Red has a lot higher bounce than the 802 (even vs the Dawei sponge that is faster than the Zero Pong ). The playing test did not tell me much.  I felt that I was hitting just the same as the 802-40.  Not aware that I had to change strokes  at all.  Maybe it was faster on lowered effort strokes but top speed seemed the same..  Surprisingly to me, the Spectol seemed to generate more  spin than the 802-40.  I was able to go from a spiny topspin to a dead punch very easily with the Spectol.

Considering I once played 20min with IQUL  before I realized I did not have my Tenergy  blade, my impressions are pretty useless.  I did notice "some" difference between my Big Dipper inverted and the Spectol when I hit a couple of Fhs with the pips.  So I do have some feel.

Most likely the change will make no difference in my game.  Will play some more this week and try to get some feedback from my opponents.

Mark- No technique, no tactics, no feel.

not so linear prefer the blue version.i get more sink with victas 102 .red is not very forgiving you need to be consistent with sp

Date Posted: 03/02/2017 at 1:29pm
Hit some last night with the best player at the club (high 1800 rating).  He had just the opposite impression of the Spectol Red.  He said the balls were slower and more dead than the 802-40 on the Dawei sponge.  But even then he said there was not a lot of difference.  So know I am really confused.

Mark

Date Posted: 03/02/2017 at 4:58pm

Hit some last night with the best player at the club (high 1800 rating).  He had just the opposite impression of the Spectol Red.  He said the balls were slower and more dead than the 802-40 on the Dawei sponge.  But even then he said there was not a lot of difference.  So know I am really confused.

Mark

my rating is about 2200

Date Posted: 03/02/2017 at 5:13pm
bbkon,

Opposite of my impressions.  Not opposite of yours.

Mark

Date Posted: 03/02/2017 at 6:37pm

bbkon,

Opposite of my impressions.  Not opposite of yours.

Mark

but troubleful for the opponent

Posted By: AcudaDave
Date Posted: 03/02/2017 at 11:06pm
I play with Victas 102 and recently bought a sheet of red in 1.8 (same as Victas I play with) and gave it a try at the club. It played very well to my surprise and I think it plays better than Victas. It's fast, spinny, and seems to be about 5 grams lighter than Victas. Now on to Butterfly Impartial.

-------------
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH

Date Posted: 03/03/2017 at 1:31am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I play with Victas 102 and recently bought a sheet of red in 1.8 (same as Victas I play with) and gave it a try at the club. It played very well to my surprise and I think it plays better than Victas. It's fast, spinny, and seems to be about 5 grams lighter than Victas. Now on to Butterfly Impartial.

102 is very good spinny for that amount of spin and pip geometry very like 802 40 but more sink than moristo sp.this pip is almost perfect

Posted By: haggisv
Date Posted: 03/03/2017 at 1:31am
I'm surprised you found it to be that spinny... the Spinpips was always meant to be the spinny one from TSP. They're about to release the Spinpips Red as well, wonder what that will be like...

-------------
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=page&id=42" rel="nofollow - Tenergy Alternatives | http://tabletennis-reviews.com" rel="nofollow - My TT Articles

Date Posted: 03/03/2017 at 2:07am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I'm surprised you found it to be that spinny... the Spinpips was always meant to be the spinny one from TSP. They're about to release the Spinpips Red as well, wonder what that will be like...

never tried spinpips in the 38mm but I guess 102 is like spinpips v.2.0.looking at the shape of the pips i wouldnt have never tried the pips must be longer to have that sink and still its very stable. I Thought that spinpips red and blue were available but the new spectol r&b has neen kinda of disapointment

Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 03/26/2018 at 6:31pm
i tried recently spectol red in 1.8, sometimes I like it sometimes it seems a bit bouncy. Will I like waran better in 1.5mm. want something more linear! But spectol red was fairly easy to use I felt, not sure it upset opponent much unless I hit really hard with it!

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler

Posted By: Chewy
Date Posted: 03/26/2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

never tried spinpips in the 38mm but I guess 102 is like spinpips v.2.0.looking at the shape of the pips i wouldnt have never tried the pips must be longer to have that sink and still its very stable. I Thought that spinpips red and blue were available but the new spectol r&b has neen kinda of disapointment

bbkon is right with the Victas VO 102 ~ Super Spin Pips 2.0.
Mjamja, maybe you could also try the Victas VO 101? Supposed to be the Spectol 2.0.

Posted By: GeneralSpecific
Date Posted: 03/26/2018 at 7:28pm
Just a heads up but the topsheet of Victas VO 101 is absolute garbage on top of a really nice sponge. The topsheet feels like its made of cheap plastic and is super low friction. It's a medium pip with no control because you can't grip the ball at all.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Date Posted: 09/14/2018 at 5:00am
I am using Spectol Red again after a short stint with lp.
I really like it and it makes me play properly and actively. If I don't it punishes me.
Prefer it to Spinlord Waran, seems a bit easier to control.
Hoping I can persevere with it for a season for once.

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 10/12/2018 at 9:41am
I have just bought a sheet of Spectol Red in 1.5mm.  Tried it last night and it seemed much more suitable than the 1.8mm for my style.  Seems to give me more control.  Feels better for me for the odd chop and push too.  Did not seem to affect my driving and blocking too much.
Very pleased initially although only tried briefly!!

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Posted By: mykonos96
Date Posted: 10/12/2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Chewy Chewy wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

bbkon is right with the Victas VO 102 ~ Super Spin Pips 2.0.
Mjamja, maybe you could also try the Victas VO 101? Supposed to be the Spectol 2.0.

I have seen a pic of moristo SP AX and it has horizontal aligned wide pips. Anybody has tried?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net