Print Page | Close Window

[Video] Me playing my style, the modern allrounder

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Video of me playing
Forum Description: Post your playing videos and get tips and suggestions from other members.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78589
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 4:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: [Video] Me playing my style, the modern allrounder
Posted By: GeneralSpecific
Subject: [Video] Me playing my style, the modern allrounder
Date Posted: 03/19/2017 at 2:53pm
Hey everyone! I started a topic that had some really wonderful and healthy discussion located here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78484&PN=2&title=choppers-dont-need-to-die-they-need-to-change" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78484&PN=2&title=choppers-dont-need-to-die-they-need-to-change

In it, I describe a style I call the modern allrounder. It's a do it all style that incorporates chopping and attacking on both sides with spin generating rubber.

I am just an amateur with a strong passion for table tennis so my level isn't enough to give the style true justice but it's the style I have fallen into and I wanted to show you guys what I meant in that thread about the unique style that makes me the player I am.

In this video I am using a Butterfly Joo Saehyuk blade with Xiom Omega V Asia Max on my forehand 100% of the time, Omega V Euro Max on my backhand about 90% of the time, and Vega Euro DF 2.0mm on my backhand about 10% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_lC65oNaig

I'm going to be experimenting with short pips on my forehand. I've been so impressed with Mattias Karlsson that I have to give it a try. Tabletennis11.com is supplying me with a sheet of Nittaku Hammond FA (the forehand rubber of choice of their CEO Sergei Petrov) and Yasaka Rakza P.O (the forehand rubber of choice of Mattias Karlsson). Look out for my review next month where I compare the 2 of them and give my review.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Replies:
Date Posted: 03/20/2017 at 9:38pm
I think I've properly embedded the video now

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 03/20/2017 at 9:57pm
Nice video. Here is I feel. Your offense is better than defense. You have some really nice attacking strokes. All-rounder would definitely fit your style better than modern defender.

Now suppose we apply this style at the top level, given the quality of your offense, it actually would make more sense to just play a purely offensive game.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Posted By: dmoney
Date Posted: 03/20/2017 at 10:26pm
Nice. Soundtrack was dope. 

-------------
Thanks!

Date Posted: 03/20/2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by dmoney dmoney wrote:

Nice. Soundtrack was dope. 

Home is dope af!

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Date Posted: 03/20/2017 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Nice video. Here is I feel. Your offense is better than defense. You have some really nice attacking strokes. All-rounder would definitely fit your style better than modern defender.

Now suppose we apply this style at the top level, given the quality of your offense, it actually would make more sense to just play a purely offensive game.

My attacking, more often, is better than my chopping. My blocking, more often, is better than my chopping. However, there are a couple of reasons I like to chop. At long distances (not close and mid distance) I consider backhand chopping to be a more effective stroke than a backhand counterloop. Overall, I definitely consider myself more aggressive than offensive. Though a major part of my game is to introduce a lot of different spins and paces to the ball. I don't like letting people get comfortable. By mixing chops and attacks I try to throw people off of their rhythm and many people have told me I do that well.

All things considered, it might benefit me to be a bit more aggressive close to the table. However, against more aggressive opponents I prefer blocking and countering which is demonstrated a bit minimally in the video. In the video you can see me play a second opponent briefly. He is more aggressive and if you notice I didn't chop against him. The only time I will chop against him would be at long distances.

A good observation though, thanks. I will definitely make note to try to maintain aggression at close and mid distances.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Posted By: wanchope
Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 4:08pm
All I can say is that you probably shouldn't jump when you block.

Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Posted By: IanMcg
Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 6:41pm
How do you find the OVE for chopping? I can imagine that it isn't the easiest rubber to chop with

Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 9:26pm

When did I jump when  blocked? I did maybe 3 forehand blocks in the video and none of them involved jumping.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

How do you find the OVE for chopping? I can imagine that it isn't the easiest rubber to chop with

It is definitely not the easiest to chop with. It really shines at attacking backspin though. Chopping with it is tough because it's a bit sensitive and has a high throw angle. Vega Euro DF on the other hand is absolutely fantastic at chopping. I've switched to that on my backhand full time.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 9:30pm
Maybe blocking is not the most accurate way to describe it. But pretty much every time you do backhand, pushing or blocking, both of your feet leave the ground.

Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 9:33pm
Of course unless you're not the pen holder. My bad then

Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 9:36pm

Of course unless you're not the pen holder. My bad then

I'm definitely not the penholder. I listed my equipment and I'm pretty sure they don't make Joo Saehyuk blades for penholders.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Date Posted: 03/21/2017 at 9:43pm

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Posted By: IanMcg
Date Posted: 03/22/2017 at 1:00am
Have you tried XIOM Yanus DF? I've heard that a lot of defenders like it. It's a bit difficult to source though.

Another rubber you might like is the DONIC Desto F3 BigSlam. Very soft and loud. I suppose the topsheet might not be as grippy as other modern rubbers, but the soft sponge still makes it very easy to spin the ball.

Date Posted: 03/22/2017 at 2:27am
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Have you tried XIOM Yanus DF? I've heard that a lot of defenders like it. It's a bit difficult to source though.

Another rubber you might like is the DONIC Desto F3 BigSlam. Very soft and loud. I suppose the topsheet might not be as grippy as other modern rubbers, but the soft sponge still makes it very easy to spin the ball.

I have not tried Yanus DF. I have tried Musa 1, 2, and 3 which are more allround rubbers that are decent.

I have not tried Desto F3 BigSlam but I've found Donic rubbers to die quickly. I'm sure I'd like it for 2 months and then it would rapidly lose playability for me. Plus, what's the point of using it over Vega Europe DF.

I honestly like Vega Europe DF a whole lot. It has amazing feeling and control. It has that confident sensation as if it were boosted. It seems to have great durability like most modern Xiom rubbers. It chops really really well. It's a little similar/no faster in speed to maybe a Sriver FX  which helps it in chopping.

I'd like to give Vega Elite DF a try should Xiom release it. But I wonder if they might be too soft and slow.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Posted By: Knuckle Ball
Date Posted: 03/22/2017 at 4:36am
Wow real nice. I love your video.
First, because we play similar styles. Second, because we have roughly the same body type. I am 5'10 and a bit overweight and at 52 cannot move as fast as I wish too. 
I chop better on my BH than my FH. I am more of an opportunistic push-blocker at the table but my default defensive mode in a pinch is to step back from the table to chop with the BH or counter with the FH. I move away from the table to give me time to react to incoming ball.
I use a Joola Rossi Emotion, TO5 on the FH and Nittaku Moristo DF on my BH. The Moristo DF is a very good BH rubber, for spinny pushes, chops, chop blocks. Very good spin on serves, very good control and not so sensitive to incoming spin so great for receiving service. It is also very durable. I twiddle from time to time to give varying spin returns and when I attack from the BH side using my T05. When I do chop with the 05, then that gives the most wicked spin.
Nittaku Moristo DF is worth a try. And maybe I should try your Xiom Vega DF.

-------------
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red

Date Posted: 03/22/2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Knuckle Ball Knuckle Ball wrote:

Wow real nice. I love your video.
First, because we play similar styles. Second, because we have roughly the same body type. I am 5'10 and a bit overweight and at 52 cannot move as fast as I wish too. 
I chop better on my BH than my FH. I am more of an opportunistic push-blocker at the table but my default defensive mode in a pinch is to step back from the table to chop with the BH or counter with the FH. I move away from the table to give me time to react to incoming ball.
I use a Joola Rossi Emotion, TO5 on the FH and Nittaku Moristo DF on my BH. The Moristo DF is a very good BH rubber, for spinny pushes, chops, chop blocks. Very good spin on serves, very good control and not so sensitive to incoming spin so great for receiving service. It is also very durable. I twiddle from time to time to give varying spin returns and when I attack from the BH side using my T05. When I do chop with the 05, then that gives the most wicked spin.
Nittaku Moristo DF is worth a try. And maybe I should try your Xiom Vega DF.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I'm definitely a bit overweight but all things considered I move fairly well for my build. I'm pretty satisfied with my muscle strength so that helps me quite a bit.

I definitely chop better on my backhand than my forehand also. When someone loops to my forehand I am better off forehand countering or counterlooping rather than chopping unless I am very late to the ball.

It seems you might be a little more defensive than I am though. As you can see I do a lot of attacking with my backhand so I wouldn't consider myself a pusher or a pushblocker. I probably wouldn't like Moristo DF that much myself. I've used Tackiness Chop and Reflectoid and those rubbers are too slow for the amount of attacking that I do with my backhand so I imagine Moristo DF would be a similar case. However I'll definitely be going from 2.0mm down to 1.8mm for the next sheet of Vega Euro DF that I order.

Vega Euro DF might be worth a try for you but it's a rubber meant for slower controlled topspins. It just so happens to also be good at chopping. So it might feel a little different for someone used to a more defensive rubber.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 03/23/2017 at 10:32am
You have a similar style that a clubmate of mine has.  But what he does is fish and mini-lob kinda like Gionis and Weixing on the FH and also does the same thing on the BH.  Then he gives a surprise BH chop.  He is about 1800 and at his level of competition, he looks for someone to try a drop shot and when they pop it up, he is ready to sprint forward for a put away.  Some will also get excited against the chop but when they try to loopkill it, it's usually off the table.  His chop variation is surprisingly good considering he uses a Maze with T80 on both sides.

A couple of stories about him.  Back in the speed glue days, he used to use a black tag Viscaria and Bryce on both sides.  He was so lazy that he would bring his canister of speed glue, approach someone else and say here use my speed glue but you have to speed glue my racket too :)  Most of us obliged as he always bought high end speed glues.

This guy also has a brother who is a beginner TT player and the brother is like 6'4" 250 lbs.  He visited us one time and borrowed the Viscaria set up from his brother.  He went for a full loopkill and hit the table and the Viscaria disintegrated in the air :(

Date Posted: 03/23/2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

You have a similar style that a clubmate of mine has.  But what he does is fish and mini-lob kinda like Gionis and Weixing on the FH and also does the same thing on the BH.  Then he gives a surprise BH chop.  He is about 1800 and at his level of competition, he looks for someone to try a drop shot and when they pop it up, he is ready to sprint forward for a put away.  Some will also get excited against the chop but when they try to loopkill it, it's usually off the table.  His chop variation is surprisingly good considering he uses a Maze with T80 on both sides.

A couple of stories about him.  Back in the speed glue days, he used to use a black tag Viscaria and Bryce on both sides.  He was so lazy that he would bring his canister of speed glue, approach someone else and say here use my speed glue but you have to speed glue my racket too :)  Most of us obliged as he always bought high end speed glues.

This guy also has a brother who is a beginner TT player and the brother is like 6'4" 250 lbs.  He visited us one time and borrowed the Viscaria set up from his brother.  He went for a full loopkill and hit the table and the Viscaria disintegrated in the air :(

I see what you're saying about the surprise chopping and killing pop ups. That is definitely part of my strategy sometimes. However, lobbing is very far from my strategy. My goal is to avoid all lobbing. If I do need to lob I will try to lob only once and then either chop or counterattack. I consider intentional lobbing cowardly so I do my best to avoid it.

-------------
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL

Posted By: ssmilk
Date Posted: 10/16/2017 at 9:25pm
Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net