Print Page | Close Window

Stiga Arctic Wood

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78959
Printed Date: 04/24/2024 at 9:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stiga Arctic Wood
Posted By: RayZRay
Subject: Stiga Arctic Wood
Date Posted: 04/29/2017 at 11:30pm
Has anyone tried the Stiga Arctic Wood. 
Here is the Blade description form TT11.
< ="http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/checkout/cart/add/uenc/aHR0cDovL3d3dy50YWJsZXRlbm5pczExLmNvbS9vdGhlcl9lbmcvc3RpZ2EtYXJjdGljLXdvb2Q,/product/21964/" method="post" id="product_addtocart_" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
number of layers:5
approximate weight (g):95
type:OFF+
thickness (mm):6
Built as a offensive 5-ply with special temperature treated middle veneers (VPS) which reduces vibrations and gives great stability. And a new, slow growing hard outer veneer never before used in table tennis. Made in Sweden.

Replies:
Posted By: Re1Mu2R3
Date Posted: 04/30/2017 at 4:25am
Using the "Stiga Arctic Wood" the ball will freeze and stop spinning when you hit it.
When the ball hits the opponent's bat, it will get suspended in Mid-Air.

You'd be like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat...

-------------
How to play Table Tennis:
#1. Be Chinese (Ethnicity)
#2. Be Chinese(Citizenship)
#3. BE CHINESE(In Heart, Mind and Spirit)
#4: Get a Chinese Coach
#5. Get a Chinese Forehand Rubber (Black)

Posted By: arg0
Date Posted: 05/06/2017 at 3:15pm
===
EDIT July 2017: adding some info to my earliest post, since STIGA rectified the data about Arctic Wood since the OP.
number of layers:5
approximate weight (g):85 (not 95)
type:OFF (not OFF+)
thickness (mm):6

Arctic Wood is what you get when you combine nature and science. A blade born in nature and crafted by our knowledge and experience. For this blade we have found a rare pale outer veneer which only grows in the cold and deep forests above the arctic circle. This together with our well-renowned VPS (Veneer Precision System) in the second layer results in a unique blade with characteristics like non-other.

CONTROL: 65
SPEED: 110
VENEER: 5
ELASTICITY: STIFF
TYPE: OFF 

===

Seriously?
Anyone dared to wield it, yet?

-------------
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the forum_posts.asp?TID=47778" rel="nofollow - Nexy Clan !
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 05/06/2017 at 4:07pm
This Arctic Wood was an option for me until I saw the price. $120 is too much, no matter how good it is.

Date Posted: 05/06/2017 at 4:22pm
It's not an option for me as well (too fast), but I'm still interested to know whether this new hard arctic wood outer layer lives up to the manufacturer's hype. They certainly went great lengths (pun intended) to advertise it with their video.

-------------

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 05/07/2017 at 9:39pm
i am waiting for my blade in 1-2 weeks time.

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: p1ngp0ng3r
Date Posted: 05/08/2017 at 1:51am
@yogi_bear, looking forward to your review :)
Especially a comparison with Infinity would be great.

-------------
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX

Posted By: garwor
Date Posted: 05/08/2017 at 8:07am
Arctic has no woods. Only ice.

-------------
http://stonitenis.rs/equipmentreviews" rel="nofollow - Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!

Date Posted: 05/08/2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

Using the "Stiga Arctic Wood" the ball will freeze and stop spinning when you hit it.

Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

...seems quite difficult to get a serious contribution in this thread... Unhappy

-------------

Posted By: Tassie52
Date Posted: 05/09/2017 at 5:03am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Originally posted by Re1Mu2R3 Re1Mu2R3 wrote:

Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

...seems quite difficult to get a serious contribution in this thread... Unhappy

The "Arctic has no woods" post points us in the direction of the truth: Stiga Arctic Wood is an anagram for Cactus Twig Roots. Everyone knows that cactus is not wood at all, and blades made from it are not legal.

Posted By: kindof99
Date Posted: 05/09/2017 at 9:39am
There are a couple of reviews in chinese. It is faster than VPS infinity with precise placement. But people are afraid that the handle might get dirty pretty easy.

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Posted By: Re1Mu2R3
Date Posted: 05/09/2017 at 2:50pm

I don't know what else to say. It's a 5-ply Stiga blade that's gonna be a tad faster than Stiga's 50 other 5 ply blades:
+/- Speed (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)
+/- Control (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)
+/- Throw Angle (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)
+/- "Gears" (Depending who you are, which blade you're comparing it to and what rubbers you're using.)

-------------
How to play Table Tennis:
#1. Be Chinese (Ethnicity)
#2. Be Chinese(Citizenship)
#3. BE CHINESE(In Heart, Mind and Spirit)
#4: Get a Chinese Coach
#5. Get a Chinese Forehand Rubber (Black)

Date Posted: 05/09/2017 at 3:52pm
Thanks.
Back to the OP's request.
Originally posted by RayZRay RayZRay wrote:

Has anyone tried the Stiga Arctic Wood.
[...]

-------------

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 05/10/2017 at 1:23pm

Sounds like just another really stiff Off+ class blade. Less dwell usually equals less spin unless it's a brush stroke. Loving my Stiga OFF CR with 4 layer glue Max Mark V. Max happiness. :)

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Posted By: emihet
Date Posted: 05/10/2017 at 8:29pm
wow nobody has tried it?

-------------
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 06/06/2017 at 2:14pm
it is quite available now.  Has anyone used it?

Date Posted: 06/06/2017 at 3:05pm
Ordered one about one month ago, still waiting for it to be shipped.
Other shops appear to have it in stock by now, though.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/06/2017 at 3:29pm

strange.  good luck with the order.

Date Posted: 06/06/2017 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

strange.  good luck with the order.

Sure, thanks. I fully trust the shop, it's just that they do not have it in stock yet. When I ordered they had predicted to get it on 22 May, but now the product page still says "ships in 4-8 days".
Other shops, such as tabletennis11, apper to have it in stock, though.

Looking forward to the first review.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/06/2017 at 4:29pm
BTW, and in response to one of my posts above, the price is way lower than the $120 first reported. Ordered mine for less than $80 shipped.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/06/2017 at 5:29pm

BTW, and in response to one of my posts above, the price is way lower than the $120 first reported. Ordered mine for less than $80 shipped.
good price, I checked a site that is charging more than 100.  I just ordered it from TT11 - don't usually do this - ordering without seeing a review - hope for the best

Date Posted: 06/06/2017 at 5:35pm

good price, I checked a site that is charging more than 100.  I just ordered it from TT11 - don't usually do this - ordering without seeing a review - hope for the best

TT11 has a 30-days no-questions-asked return policy (customer pays return shipping, though), so if in the meantime reviews come out that picture the blade differently from what you expected, you will be able to send it back (if you did not test it yourself, that is).

-------------

Date Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:31pm
Arrived today!
The mysterious surface wood is unusual: it seems very hard, however it is not completely even, but has tiny grooves along the grain. A bit like limba, but less dense. I've never seen such groves in spruce or cypress wood, which normally have a very smooth grain (edit: my point was that I was expecting the outer ply of Arctic wood to have a similar structure to cypress or spruce, which are both conifers, but this is not the case. So either there are conifers with different structure, or trees in the Arctic that are not conifers). [update: my current best guess is that the wood is sorbus aucuparia (rowan), which is a hardwood, see my posts later in this thread]
I'll try to take a better picture later. Save Save

-------------

Posted By: Makelele
Date Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:42pm
Looking forward to your playing impressions!

Date Posted: 06/09/2017 at 4:46pm
doesn't look so bad, could only see one rough area.  a photo on a Chinese website had more rough areas.  I guess visual attributes are important, but lets see how this mystery wood plays.

Date Posted: 06/09/2017 at 5:03pm
Doesn't look bad at all. Moreover, the blade is much lighter than I expected. Expecting the average to be 95g (as per Stiga), I asked for a light one, possibly around 85g, and actually got 82g. That's perfectly fine, I'm not into heavy and fast blades anyway.

This is my first Stiga blade with ST grip and I must say it fits my hand very well. The handle is on the thicker side (unlike some thin ST handles of Nittaku and Butterfly blades) and similar in size and shape to Violin and Acoustic Large Handle. The shape of the cross-section is a golden average between oval (e.g., Donic ST) and squarish (e.g., Butterfly M. Maze ST).
If this is the size and shape of the typical Stiga ST "classic" handle, I feel I should have given more attention to Stiga during my EJ career (which is slowly getting to an end).

Anyhoo, from the ball bounce tests it seems to be a fast blade, quite 'reactive' (as opposite to 'captive', to XIOM terminology), and hard. But it does not seem to be very stiff. So it may turn out that OFF+ is overrated. At least, that's what I hope. I'm not into fast blades, and I just decided to give this blade a go because of the looks and the hype, and because I was curious to try a Stiga ST handle.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/09/2017 at 6:06pm
Please take a picture of the full handle when you have a chance.  I had one ST from Stiga " Hybrid Wood" and it was too small.

Date Posted: 06/09/2017 at 10:49pm
good for you. my arctic will be sent by stiga next week. teh outer plies look closer to a white ash or spruce

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Date Posted: 06/10/2017 at 1:14am
They're very different from either. Stripes are wider and more coloured than in white ash, and spruce does not have grooves in the grain. I'll try posting a better picture to show the difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/10/2017 at 3:32am
The straight handle cross section measures 29.5 x 23 mm.
Save

-------------

Date Posted: 06/10/2017 at 4:11am
Two more pictures of the outer plies.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/10/2017 at 1:41pm
Thanks arg0. I took out my ST hybrid wood. It is actually same size as the blade I am using. Strange but I remember it to be smaller. Will try it out in real play.

Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 7:47am
First impressions form a short training session.
Note: I had shoulder pain and was playing at about 50% my usual level, today. So don't trust my impressions too much.
Tested the Arctic Wood (AW) with Vega Pro on FH and Nimbus Soft on BH.
Mainly played passively: blocks, counters, backspin.
Maybe because of the low weight of my AW, I would not classify it as OFF+; rather OFF. The feeling upon ball impact is hard, however the wood is not stiff.
Think a Waldner Dicon/JO Limited 2016 with a harder feeling.
Feedback/Vibration is very nice and crisp. Sound upon ball impact is full (ie, not hollow), medium-pitched, and pleasant to my ear.
The ST handle is nearly identical to the Violin Large Handle I normally play and it's likely the most comfortable ST handles I played with: not too oval, not too squared, just right. YMMV.
Stay tuned for clearer impressions as soon as I recover.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 9:58am

First impressions form a short training session.
Note: I had shoulder pain and was playing at about 50% my usual level, today. So don't trust my impressions too much.
Tested the Arctic Wood (AW) with Vega Pro on FH and Nimbus Soft on BH.
Mainly played passively: blocks, counters, backspin.
Maybe because of the low weight of my AW, I would not classify it as OFF+; rather OFF. The feeling upon ball impact is hard, however the wood is not stiff.
Feedback/Vibration is very nice and crisp. Sound upon ball impact is full (ie, not hollow), medium-pitched, and pleasant to my ear.
The ST handle is nearly identical to the Violin Large Handle I normally play and it's likely the most comfortable ST handles I played with: not too oval, not too squared, just right. YMMV.
Stay tuned for clearer impressions as soon as I recover.
could hold promise

Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 12:05pm
BTW, just noticed that Stiga adapted both the average weight (now 85g) and the class (now OFF) for Arctic Wood, with respect to the original annoucenment (as per the first post). See the table below.

These new values are much closer to my initial impressions.
Unfortunately, I do not have any other Stiga blades to compare it with.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 3:45pm
After having had a closer look at the Arctic Wood (AW) blade, and at the pictures of the Infinity VPS (IVPS) blade in http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61026&title=stiga-infinity-v-blade-review" rel="nofollow - this thread , it could well be that the AW has the same ayous core and same intermediate layers of thermally-treated (VPS) spruce, the only difference being the outer plies, where limba of the IVPS blade was replaced by the misterious arctic tree wood.
The outer plies of AW are also thinner than IVPS, which may account for AW being slightly thinner than IVPS (6.0mm vs 6.1mm).

So Arctic Wood is essentially an updated Infinity VPS, most likely with a denser outer ply, resulting in a harder/crisper feeling and a bit more speed.

Stiga should have called it Arctic Wood VPS...

-------------

Posted By: DLC1325
Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 4:47pm

Oooo, I like the sound of that.  Must.  Not.  Buy...

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75309" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 4:50pm
For some reason I recall reading/deducing the "Mysterious Arctic Wood" was some kind of Arctic Ash, but I don't remember why.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75309" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

For some reason I recall reading/deducing the "Mysterious Arctic Wood" was some kind of Arctic Ash, but I don't remember why.

Possibly because of the stripes?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_line#Typical_vegetation" rel="nofollow - On this list , there are no ash trees (fraxinus) listed among the Arctic trees.
On the other hand, http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/native-trees/ash/" rel="nofollow - here it says ash trees (Common Ash, European Ash, Fraxinus excelsior) also grow in the Arctic Circle. So it may well be.
One thing is for sure, it's not http://tinyurl.com/y6v7q7qo" rel="nofollow - salix arctica . Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 5:40pm
These are the images of the tree used in the video (for what it's worth).

Looks like some kind or larch or pine, to my untrained eye. Dahurian larch can be quite irregularly shaped, and some pictures of http://www.mundyveneer.com/assets/mundyVeneer/77-00152.jpg" rel="nofollow - larch grain I found on the Web are quite similar (colour aside), so maybe we have a candidate...

-------------

Posted By: kurokami
Date Posted: 06/12/2017 at 8:14pm
wow. based on that spec chart, i'd probably like it. i don't like hard feel though.

-------------
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami

Date Posted: 06/18/2017 at 5:45pm
Nobody else has had the chance to play with an Arctic Wood (AW) yet?
I just saw it's also not yet on the Stiga website, apart from their digital paper catalog.

Just wanted to add that the outer plies are very thin, hard, and smooth, to the point that they appear sharp and glassy (must be the Stiga "Diamond Touch" finish). When unglueing rubbers I had a tiny tiny splinter come off: it was hardly thicker than a hair and just a few mm long. It's about the same size as the grooves I showed in the wood grain and totally unnoticeable now. However, I still am a bit worried.

I normally always thinly seal my blades before glueing rubbers and the rubbers usually stick less to the wood than with the AW which I did not seal before.

Any advice on whether the "Diamond Touch" blades would still benefit from a thin layer of lacquer?

-------------

Date Posted: 06/18/2017 at 6:06pm
What I also discovered and found interesting is that in the English catalog, AW is labelled as "stiff", while in a https://issuu.com/stigasports/docs/newsfolder_2017_de_web" rel="nofollow - German Stiga newsfolder it is labelled as "fast steif" ("nearly stiff"). I browsed through the English 2017/18 catalog and the other blades I found being labelled as nearly stiff are Clipper (incl. CC and/or WRB) and Allround Classic Carbon.
On the other hand, if it's truly an Infinity VPS V with harder and thinner outer plies, I suppose we can expect the stiffness to be about the same, unless Stiga also changed the glueing process.

I really look forward to other player's impressions.

BTW, the suggested price on the German newsfolder is €90, that is $100 to date.

-------------

Posted By: carmelomaf
Date Posted: 06/19/2017 at 1:26am
available in Munich by Topspeed

Hard feeling, looks similar to infinity

-------------
Tibhar MX-P 50 Max| BTY Boll ALC FL | Tibhar MX-S Max

an Italian playing TT in Germany

Date Posted: 06/19/2017 at 3:21am
Still tempted to buy this blade, but I'm not sure yet. I really like my Infinity VPS, although the speed could be a bit higher. However, I don't want to sacrifice too much control. I know, one goes with the other :)

@arg0 , did you already had a chance to play with it? 

-------------

Date Posted: 06/19/2017 at 4:05am
Yes, to some extent, see my first impressions above. Still did not fully recover from the injury, though, so I don't have any updates. And I don't have an Infinity to compare it to, sorry.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/20/2017 at 4:34am

Stiga Arctic Wood Review

Weight: 85 grams (legend flared)

Thickness: 6.04mm

Head Size: 150x157mm

Surface Hardness: Medium Stiff

The Arctic wood is an awesome 5 ply off blade. Slightly slower than Eternity VPS even if it is rated faster but nevertheless has plenty of speed up to mid distance. The blade is very forgiving especially on difficult shots. It is bouncy despite being a thin blade. Mostly a looper's blade up to mid-distance and blocks also well. The Arctic wood is suited for all types of playing levels. It is also very light at 85 grams legend flared. The master flared version is lighter by 2-3 grams. The price is also not expensive compared to the Ebenholz or Rosewood series. Overall, it is a blade that offers a fresh and new feel compared to those limba and walnut outer plies.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/20/2017 at 2:02pm
Thanks for the info Yogi. Have you actually played with it? This review is a bit tame compared to your normal reviews. (Don't get me wrong, still greatly appreciate your info)

Can you tell something about Arctic vs Infinity in terms of speed, control etc?

By the way, the links to the images are not working. The [/IMG] tag is part of the URL it seems.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/20/2017 at 8:55pm
yes played with it for 2 days with a globe 999 national, mantra h and mantra m rubbers. infinity is slower than AW. Although AW is rated by Stiga as faster than Eternity VPS, AW is slower by a very short margin. it loops like an offensive classic cr but faster and there is a balance of flex, softness and hardness when you are attacking with it especially if you loop it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06/21/2017 at 1:12am
My initial impressions were based on playing with the celluloid ball.
Yogi_bear, did you use plastic or celluloid balls?
Did you seal the blade? Any issues with splintering?

-------------

Posted By: jonyer1980
Date Posted: 06/21/2017 at 1:18am

BTW, just noticed that Stiga adapted both the average weight (now 85g) and the class (now OFF) for Arctic Wood, with respect to the original annoucenment (as per the first post). See the table below.

That chart is bullshit. I own a few Stigas and Clipper Cr is little faster than Rosewood V.

-------------
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing

Date Posted: 06/21/2017 at 3:21am

My initial impressions were based on playing with the celluloid ball.
Yogi_bear, did you use plastic or celluloid balls?
Did you seal the blade? Any issues with splintering?

i used teh stiga 3 star polyball. i sealed the blade only after i changed the rubbers. no issues with splintering so far compared to the eternity vps.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/21/2017 at 10:50am
TT11 said they prefer to lacquer the AW even though it  has Diamond Touch.

So far the comments here and elsewhere shows some potential for the AW (but I doubt it will become my top blade- will see)

Date Posted: 06/21/2017 at 2:56pm
tom,
good to know, thanks. Then I will seal mine before glueing the next rubbers.

jonyer1980,
it has been a very long time since I last tested a Clipper Wood, but from what I recall, Arctic Wood could be about the same speed if not slower than regular Clipper.

yogi_bear,
could you please fix the link to the images in your review? thanks!

-------------

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 1:58am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

That chart is bullshit. I own a few Stigas and Clipper Cr is little faster than Rosewood V.

no way intensity and clipper are the same speed

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 6:19am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

no way intensity and clipper are the same speed

You mean Clipper is faster?

-------------

Posted By: kakapo
Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 3:22pm
Someone well informed told me that the arctic wood is....simple pine :))) so the most common and cheap wood in Sweden... what a nice find and...potential big profit for Stiga :))

-------------
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Someone well informed told me that the arctic wood is....simple pine :))) so the most common and cheap wood in Sweden... what a nice find and...potential big profit for Stiga :))

Pine is a softwood.  Does that fit the info / reviews of AW  that are known?

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 4:06pm
From the grain it's certainly some type of conifer: it may well be a pine.

[Update: pines and conifers in general are softwood and, as I learned after posting the above, softwood has no pores, while arctic wood has. Thus it's not pine. My best guess now is sorbus aucuparia (Rowan), see my post further down (possibly on the next page).]

The cost of many blades of known manufacturers has, with few exceptions, very little correlation with the actual cost of the raw materials, so I would not be surprised if this "arctic wood" is a common wood. What it appears to me is that it is quite hard and possibly brittle, so it may be more difficult and or costly to work than, say, limba. This would justify some, though likely not all, the additional price.

I was drawn to the Arctic Wood because of the beauty of the natural wood design, and it turned out to also have a very nice feel.

I had a great laugh when user PiZa in another forum compared the original trailer

to this scene from "Christmas Vacation"

At that point I knew I had to get one!

-------------

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 4:23pm

Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Pine is a softwood.  Does that fit the info / reviews of AW  that are known?

Hardness of wood also depends on how old the tree is. Softwoods in "even-aged" forests are characterized by rapid initial tree growth and slower growth as the individual trees begin to compete for resources. In this case, the younger, faster-grown parts of the tree will be less dense than the older, more slowly grown wood. At higher latitudes (arctic, according to Stiga), trees grow slowly and may be quite old when they reach the size suitable for producing TT blades.
If the outer plies made of arctic wood (lower case) of the Arctic Wood blade (upper case) are made of these type of trees, I see no contradiction in assuming that the arctic wood is a softwood and the Arctic Wood has a hard feel.

[Update: as I learned after posting the above, softwood has no pores, while arctic wood has. Thus it must be a hardwood. My best guess now is sorbus aucuparia (Rowan), see my post further down (possibly on the next page).]

-------------

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 5:08pm
How do you get a hard feel from a softwood?

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 5:11pm

How do you get a hard feel from a softwood?

Softwood is wood from gymnosperm trees such as conifers. The term is opposed to hardwood, which is the wood from angiosperm trees.

Softwoods are not necessarily softer than hardwoods. In both groups there is an enormous variation in actual wood hardness, with the range in density in hardwoods completely including that of softwoods; some hardwoods (e.g. balsa) are softer than most softwoods, while the hardest hardwoods are much harder than any softwood. The woods of longleaf pine, douglas fir, and yew are much harder in the mechanical sense than several hardwoods.

Source: Wikipedia

Edit: additional info

-------------

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 5:15pm
BTW I looked at pictures of Pines in the Boreal forest, the Jack Pine could be it but only has Janka hardness of 570 which is about the same as limba

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 5:31pm
Siberian Larch / Dahurian Larch has about 1100 lbf Janka hardness, and other larches and pines have about 1100-1200 lbf. These values are about the same as Teak, some Walnut types, Oak, and come close to White Ash (used e.g. for Violin).

-------------

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 5:51pm

Siberian Larch / Dahurian Larch has about 1100 lbf Janka hardness, and other larches and pines have about 1100-1200 lbf. These values are about the same as Teak, some Walnut types, Oak, and come close to White Ash (used e.g. for Violin).

The harder pines such as the Longleaf referred to in your previous posting has a Janka hardness of 870 but they grow in the warmer climates.  If Kakapo could get his well informed person to tell us what kind of pine it is then we could know if it is grown near the Arctic or if Stiga marketing is full of it.

Date Posted: 06/22/2017 at 6:31pm

The harder pines such as the Longleaf referred to in your previous posting has a Janka hardness of 870 but they grow in the warmer climates.  If Kakapo could get his well informed person to tell us what kind of pine it is then we could know if it is grown near the Arctic or if Stiga marketing is full of it.

I was not referring to the Longleaf, but rather to the Siberian Larch.
The Siberian larch or Russian larch is a frost-hardy tree native to western Russia, from close to the Finnish border east to the Yenisei valley in central Siberia, where it hybridises with the Dahurian larch [1]. Dahurian Larch is a tree of very cold climates, ranging northward inside the Arctic Circle to tree line [2].
Siberian Larch has a Janka value of 1100 lbf [3]. Another source cites a Janka value of 4500 N (1010 lbf) for Sibirian/Russian/Dahurian Larch [4].

Sources:
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larix_sibirica
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larix_gmelinii
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
[4] http://www.houtdatabase.nl/?q=hout/bouw/46/mechanisch

Update: larches are softwood and, as I learned after posting the above, softwood has no pores, while arctic wood has. Thus it's not Dahurian / Siberian Larch. My best guess now is sorbus aucuparia (Rowan), see my posts further down.

-------------

Posted By: NeatRiver
Date Posted: 06/23/2017 at 3:02am
$83.83 at TT11

Posted By: NeatRiver
Date Posted: 06/23/2017 at 3:07am
Here is the review by Yougi for Stiga Arctic wood Smile

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15669-Stiga-Arctic-Wood-Review" rel="nofollow - https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15669-Stiga-Arctic-Wood-Review

Date Posted: 06/23/2017 at 6:13am
Wondering why yogi did not just copy it over...

About the top ply, I'm not sure: to me, it does not seem to be white ash, nor any related species. Above, I was betting on larch, but also in pictures of larch wood online I cannot find the tiny grooves (pores?) that the arctic wood has.
If these grooves are pores, then it must be some sort of hardwood, because softwood has no pores, as I just found out. This would exclude larch and pine, I suppose.

I agree with yogi on the other plies, should be the same as infinity vps.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/23/2017 at 7:25am
New guess: Arctic White Birch. It's a hardwood and grows in the arctic treeline. White birches (not specifically arctic) have Janka hardness of 900-1200 lbf. The grain is quite similar to my blade, at least in some pictures, eg http://sanfoot.net/images/species_full/Birch_White_FC.jpg" rel="nofollow - this . And it has pores. It looks nowhere near as impressive as the tree chosen by Stiga for his ad, though...

Edit: superseded by my new guess, see the next post.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/24/2017 at 7:36pm
Stiga claims the arctic wood grows above the arctic circle, so I checked again the tree species in the arctic treeline [1] and found my new best guess (which replaces all others): sorbus aucuparia, aka Rowan [2]. It is also called mountain ash, but mountain ash is also a common name for other tree species [6]. Note that the rowan species is unrelated to the true ash trees (genus Fraxinus) [2].
Again, the tree is quite unimpressive and looks nothing like the tree in the Stiga advertising video, but the grain is strikingly similar. See [3] fore more pictures. Rowan has a Janka value of about 1690 lbf according to the wood database [4], so it's definitely a hard hardwood.
Wood databse reports a Janka value of 1210 lbf for mountain ash [5], but this is for another species (
Eucalyptus regnans), which does not grow above the Arctic Circle.

This is an image of a plank of sorbus aucuparia, doesn't it look familiar?

With this, my quest is over. Unless someone proves me wrong.

Source:
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_line#Typical_vegetation
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbus_aucuparia
[3] http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/mountain%20ash.htm
[4] http://www.wood-database.com/rowan/
[5] http://www.wood-database.com/mountain-ash/
[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_ash

Save

-------------

Date Posted: 06/24/2017 at 10:50pm

Stiga claims the arctic wood grows above the arctic circle, so I checked again the tree species in the arctic treeline [1] and found my new best guess (which replaces all others): sorbus aucuparia, aka Rowan [2]. It is also called mountain ash, but mountain ash is also a common name for other tree species [6]. Note that the rowan species is unrelated to the true ash trees (genus Fraxinus) [2].
Again, the tree is quite unimpressive and looks nothing like the tree in the Stiga advertising video, but the grain is strikingly similar. See [3] fore more pictures. Rowan has a Janka value of about 1690 lbf according to the wood database [4], so it's definitely a hard hardwood.
Wood databse reports a Janka value of 1210 lbf for mountain ash [5], but this is for another species (
Eucalyptus regnans), which does not grow above the Arctic Circle.

This is an image of a plank of sorbus aucuparia, doesn't it look familiar?

With this, my quest is over. Unless someone proves me wrong.

Source:
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_line#Typical_vegetation
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbus_aucuparia
[3] http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/mountain%20ash.htm
[4] http://www.wood-database.com/rowan/
[5] http://www.wood-database.com/mountain-ash/
[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_ash

Save
Deep down you have doubts - so it is not over - my guess.

Date Posted: 06/24/2017 at 11:53pm
The handle of the arctic wood is too slender for my hand even with legend flared.

-------------

Posted By: kurokami
Date Posted: 06/25/2017 at 12:09am
you guys can sell to me. i liked the thiner nittaku and butterfly handles Cool

-------------
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami

Date Posted: 06/25/2017 at 2:25am

Deep down you have doubts - so it is not over - my guess.

True, I've doubts, but no means to clear them. Still waiting for kakapo's source, though pine seems really unlikely to me, now.
Maybe I'll ask Stiga whether my guess is right. I don't expect them to tell me, though...

-------------

Date Posted: 06/25/2017 at 2:28am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

The handle of the arctic wood is too slender for my hand even with legend flared.

Is it thinner than other Legend handles from Stiga?
The straight handle is comfortably thick and sized like the "Large Handles" from Nittaku (29 x 23.5 mm).

-------------

Date Posted: 06/25/2017 at 4:58am
@Yogi, is it much thinner compared to Legend handle on Infinity? 
I have both Infinity and Celero with Legend handle and the Celero is much thinner compared to Infinity handle.

@arg0, nice quest to discover the woodtype. Thanks for sharing!

-------------

Date Posted: 06/26/2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

@arg0, nice quest to discover the woodtype. Thanks for sharing!

Sure, that was fun. I've written to Stiga and asked if they can confirm. I would be surprised if they would, but it's worth a try...

-------------

Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 3:10am
It's been quiet here for some time.
I found this review on TT11:

Customer Reviews
16/06/2017 A BLADE WITH GOOD FEELING Review by Jin Yangyang

It's a 5 plies wood blade with hard outer veneers and thick 2nd veneers. It has plenty control and has good speed when attack. the Best is that it gives fine and smooth reflect when hiting. A wonderful 5ply blade in 40+ era.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 7:23am

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Is it thinner than other Legend handles from Stiga?
The straight handle is comfortably thick and sized like the "Large Handles" from Nittaku (29 x 23.5 mm).
yes it is. i have my rosewood v legend it(arctic) is more slender. that is the only reason i cannot switch to the arctic because my hands are used to bigger legend flared handles of stiga blades. 

-------------

Posted By: berndt_mann
Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 1:56pm
I once had a blade,
Or should I say,
It once had me.

A friend showed me the blade;
Isn't it good?
Ar-Arctic Wood.

So I bought my friend's blade
And it was good;
Ar-Arctic Wood.

-------------
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber

Posted By: t64t64t64
Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 4:18pm
king of bullshit and no-sense ?!

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵

Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 4:22pm
I'd rather be a forest than a blade.
Yes I would,
If I only could.
I'm Arctic Wood.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

That sounds offensive. Not talking about the blade, though.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 5:06pm
One review I found on tabletennis-reference.com. Bing's automated translation is better.

Reviewer: Persimmon pea (Experience: more than 20 years)
2017/07/04

Original review

スティガに勤めている友人のご厚意で早めに貰いましたwお金は払いましたが。
あ、なお、ネオ3は、国狂です。
硬いなーと思いましたが、のわりには回転が非常によく、バランスがいいです。スピードがコントロールをよくしてくれていて、万能なラケットに感じました。
ただ、力がないとこのラケットは本領発揮できないですね。
筋肉自信ある人はぜひぜひ

Translated by Google
I got it early on behalf of my friend working for Stiga. W I paid the money.
Well, Neo 3 is a national devotion.
I thought that it was hard, but in spite of the rotation it is very well, well-balanced. Speed ​​has improved the control, I felt like a versatile racquet.
However, we can not demonstrate this racket without strength.
If you are a self-confident muscle you certainly

Translated by Bing
I got it early with the courtesy of a friend who works for Stiga W I paid the money.
Oh, and, neo-3 is a country maniac.
I thought it was hard, but the rotation is very good, and the balance is nice. The speed was good for the control, and I felt it to be a versatile racket.
However, if there is no power, this racket cannot be demonstrated.
People who have muscle confidence by all means

Overall 15/15
Speed     13/15
Spin     14/15
Control 13/15
Touch     14/15
Hardness     hard
Recommended rubber (Forehand) EARLY Kyo leopard 3
Recommended rubber (Backhand) Bryce High Speed

-------------

Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

Go to, thou base born, fen suckled, whey faced, heifer humping. sheep swiving, shake shagging, beetle breathed, spindle shanked, needle's eye of a clotpole!  May you use nought but Stiga Arctic wood blades until the end of your days.

Have a nice day.

-------------
bmann1942

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 07/16/2017 at 9:39pm
Someone on Yahoo posted the composition for the Artic Wood as Tamo, Kiri, Ayous, where Tamo(Tamo Ash) can refer to two trees - Fraxinus mandshurica var. japonica(Manchurian Ash) and Fraxinus japonica. The former is native to northeastern Asia in northern China (Gansu, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Henan, Hubei, Jilin, Liaoning, Shaanxi, Shanxi), Korea, Japan and southeastern Russia (Sakhalin Island), whereas the latter originates from the Japanese archipelago.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 4:12am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Someone on Yahoo posted the composition for the Artic Wood as Tamo, Kiri, Ayous, where Tamo(Tamo Ash) can refer to two trees - Fraxinus mandshurica var. japonica(Manchurian Ash) and Fraxinus japonica. The former is native to northeastern Asia in northern China (Gansu, Hebei, Heilongjiang, Henan, Hubei, Jilin, Liaoning, Shaanxi, Shanxi), Korea, Japan and southeastern Russia (Sakhalin Island), whereas the latter originates from the Japanese archipelago.

How do they suppport this statement? I find this hard to believe: first, the intermediate ply really looks like spruce to me, not Kiri. Spruce has a distinct striped patter, kiri has not. Moreover, Arctic Wood (AW) is from the VPS series, which have thermally treated intermediate plies. To me they look the same as in Infinity VPS V, which is known to be spruce.

As to the outer plies, tamo ash is indeed a common name for several wood types, most famous for their swirly-grain that sometimes has "peanut" figures. This is not the case for AW. Yet, I found some pictures of some tamo-ish ash (Fraxinus sieboldiana) that do look a bit like the outer plies of AW, though the stripes are generally much darker. Stiga claims to have selected a rare tree that grows north of the Arctic Circle. Fraxinus sieboldiana has a USDA hardiness zone of 6, meaning that it is able to withstand a minimum temperature of about -23C (-10F). This means that it is able to grow at certain warm locations in the Arctic. Not many locations, though, which could be why it is "rare".

Well, it would be interesting to know whether the post you found does cite any source.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 9:30am
Hot mercy Martha!  You guys are quite the dendrologists.  Back when I was a sophomore in high school I compiled a leaf collection for a botany project and could tell a quercus rubra (red oak) leaf from an acer rubrum (red maple) one.  

Back in that day we didn't worry too much about the composition of our ping pong paddles though.  I do remember that they were pretty much made of some kind of wood though.  Probably not Arctic wood, and they certainly weren't Stigas.

-------------
bmann1942

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 10:09am
Winter is coming!

FdT

Posted By: jpenmaster
Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 11:23am
That is an interesting outer veneer. The tree in their picture looks like some type of conifer which would be soft wood. The top veneer reminds me of quarter sawn ash or birch. Arctic Birch is used in guitars and gun stocks but you dont see a lot of it quarter sawn.Second ply is obviously spruce and since it's stiga the core is ayous.
Quarter sawn birch looks like this

-------------
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip

Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Hot mercy Martha!  You guys are quite the dendrologists.  Back when I was a sophomore in high school I compiled a leaf collection for a botany project and could tell a quercus rubra (red oak) leaf from an acer rubrum (red maple) one.  

Back in that day we didn't worry too much about the composition of our ping pong paddles though.  I do remember that they were pretty much made of some kind of wood though.  Probably not Arctic wood, and they certainly weren't Stigas.

That's the power of Internet. Without it, I would barely be able to tell a maple from an oak tree! :o)

-------------

Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

That is an interesting outer veneer. The tree in their picture looks like some type of conifer which would be soft wood. The top veneer reminds me of quarter sawn ash or birch. Arctic Birch is used in guitars and gun stocks but you dont see a lot of it quarter sawn.Second ply is obviously spruce and since it's stiga the core is ayous.
Quarter sawn birch looks like this

Do you have a larger image of that birch? I first thought it could be birch, too, but eventually I found some quarter sawn images of Sorbus aucuparia (see my previous posts) and I think it's more similar.
Note: though also called rowan or mountain ash, Sorbus aucuparia is unrelated to the true ash trees (genus Fraxinus).Save

Edit: typoSave

-------------

Date Posted: 07/21/2017 at 11:35am
After a long wait, finally received mine today.  With Rasanter V50 and R47, the combo seemed quite (too?) fast on a simple bounce test.  The pale wood handle looked more interesting in the photos.

Date Posted: 07/23/2017 at 6:17pm
This review comes from a German Forum (tt-news.de).
It is part of a longer post. It's machine translated. I changed some parts to make it more readable, it has still rough edges, though.

This season I ended up trying my last two Saive Power. These are a little stiffer than the Stiga off classic Wrb... and are no longer produced (?).
So [...] I bought the two new Woods....
The Stiga Arctic Wood and the Stiga Celero wood.

[Coming] From the Offensive Classic WRB (OCW), or from the Saive Power, I was hoping that among the two woods I wound find a successor, which can be played a little faster and stiffer. The first test with old rubbers was not so meaningful. So I also quickly ordered the same current rubbers in new...
[...]
The very short comparison/first impressions were thus created when playing an Energy Wood (EW), a Celero Wood and an Arctic Wood...
All with Aurus 1.9 black FH and Aurus soft 1.7 red BH.

Actually, I had looked at the Celero Wood as my new blade... possibly for the next few years...
The Arctic Wood was more of an impulse buy.

And now, so at the beginning the Celero seems to be more similar to OCW, is to say it plays "softer" and becomes fast when you play with spin... The EW seems to be a little faster... Because the EW is unfortunately often too fast. I like the Celero already... the purchase will probably not be a mistake.

But there's the Arctic Wood.... and that's kind of an outlier in a surprisingly positive sense.
-Not as fast as the Infinity
-Immediate feeling of good control
-Good feedback
-and it is stiffer and more direct... than EW, Celero, OCW etc.
-You can also attack... as with the previous Tube Light!
-and yet also the positive impressions at the topspin...
-it seemed to me at the beginning like the jack of all trades
-playable in the short game for a "coarse motor skilled" like I am... (EW is too fast for me for this)
-Still a really good feedback.... you notice immediately that you have Stiga in your hand.
-and like with the Tube Light, you can also shoot dully.
-Unlike the yes very stiff Tube Light, the Arctic wood gives more detailed feedback (how to describe it? Maybe like this it is already understandable...)

So during the short test I was surprised by the fact that I had repeatedly resorted to Arctic wood... The racket makes the best impression in the first quick comparison.
[...]
Briefly summed up: If you are looking for a a little bit harder EW and don't want to have as much speed as with the Infinity, you might have found it with the Arctic Wood. Definitely.

Those who play the Saive Power and are looking for a successor will probably not be able to avoid testing the Arctic Wood.

If [you want a blade that] is not so direct and not quite so fast.... there is still Celero wood... though the Celero may be put away in the closet with my other blades at the beginning of the season, because the Arctic Wood has left such a really good first impression. (Hopefully at that price the manufacturing fluctuations are rather small.)

-------------

Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 9:20pm
Does anyone have experience with Arctic Wood and Ebenholz V that could give a comparison?  TTGearLab is supposed to do a write up of Arctic Wood soon and TTDaily's site is being glitchy though it looks like some good info is on there if only I could get to it.

I imagine Arctic Wood will be slightly stiffer (6.0 vs 5.8), slightly softer (not many woods have a harder Janka than ebony), maybe less head heavy (no hollow handle?), and maybe Arctic Wood is a low OFF while Ebenholz V is a high OFF- (since Stiga always overrates their blades).  

I also suspect the feel/feedback will be nice like the Ebenholz V as stated in the German forum review above.

Any input is appreciated!

EDIT:  Well, I found the info that killed it for me, but still interested to hear what anyone has to say.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 4:51pm

[...]
I imagine Arctic Wood will be slightly stiffer (6.0 vs 5.8), slightly softer (not many woods have a harder Janka than ebony), maybe less head heavy (no hollow handle?), and maybe Arctic Wood is a low OFF while Ebenholz V is a high OFF- (since Stiga always overrates their blades).  

I also suspect the feel/feedback will be nice like the Ebenholz V as stated in the German forum review above.

EDIT:  Well, I found the info that killed it for me, but still interested to hear what anyone has to say.

I've never played with Ebenholz, so I cannot compare directly. However, Arctic Wood has a neutral balance (with 2.0 rubbers). The handle is likely a bit hollow, like most handles are, but not as hollow as WRB): anyway, the blade does not feel hollow to me and has quite some vibrations, which I like.

What was the killing factor?

Edit: typo

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 5:30pm

What was the killing factor?

Maybe "killed" was a strong word because it still sounds like a great blade, but it seems to sit where I have similar blades which makes is pointless to get.  Also the Janka of "Mountain Ash" is similar to Koto and I already have a Koto blade.

It sure is pretty though!  (I'm a sucker for hardwoods)

-------------

Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 6:02pm

Maybe "killed" was a strong word because it still sounds like a great blade, but it seems to sit where I have similar blades which makes is pointless to get.  Also the Janka of "Mountain Ash" is similar to Koto and I already have a Koto blade.

What blade with Koto outer do you think is similar? I may consider testing it.
Did you consider the whole composition of the blade (spruce intermediate plies and ayous core) and thickness?

-------------

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 11:18pm

Does anyone have experience with Arctic Wood and Ebenholz V that could give a comparison?  TTGearLab is supposed to do a write up of Arctic Wood soon and TTDaily's site is being glitchy though it looks like some good info is on there if only I could get to it.

but a fast blade is not always better

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net