Print Page | Close Window

Do Chinese rubbers have to be boosted?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79502
Printed Date: 04/25/2024 at 4:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do Chinese rubbers have to be boosted?
Posted By: tabletennisfire
Subject: Do Chinese rubbers have to be boosted?
Date Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:09pm
Hi,

Am new to the concept of Chinese rubbers (example DHS) and never owned one. I have been reading a lot about them lately and came to the conclusion that all Chinese rubbers in order to be potentially usable have to be boosted every couple (3-4) months? Is my conclusion right?

Replies:
Posted By: Egghead
Date Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:18pm
No, You don't have to Tongue

-------------
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 06/26/2017 at 10:26pm
If you are in good shape and/or below 30 then by all means go ahead and play with them unboosted, if your are a hobby player like most of us on here, you are better off boosting

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Posted By: iamj8
Date Posted: 06/26/2017 at 11:16pm
I personally do not boost mine but I always play it on a fairly fast blade and the softest version. To rocketman's point I'm 22 lol.

Most will tell you that you get the most out of boosting it but I honestly can't complain about the rubber in it's current state. I use provincial Orange sponge 38 degrees.

-------------
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...

Posted By: Chairman Meow
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 12:56am
It really depends on who you are.

Once, I was debating boosting, when a man who often gives me tips said "the boost comes from you". I agreed, and decided to not boost. And I use the hardest version available. I use H3 provincial blue sponge, 41 degrees, 2.2 mm, and still bottom it out on a regular basis. I don't boost because I do not want the rubber any softer than it is, I can generate the power myself. Like rocketman said, I am a kid. I don't consider myself as being in exceptional shape, but I am certainly not out of shape.

Another reason I don't boost is because I don't have money. Boosting is expensive. Again, I am a kid, and am too young to work at most places. It is an extra expense that I cannot afford. It also kills the rubber faster.

Another guy I know boosts everything, even rubbers like Tenergy, which I find too soft to use even before boosting. He doesn't lose anything from this, he gains from it. His shot selection and power benefit from boosting, and mine don't.

Everybody will have different things they want from their rubber, so if you need what boosting supplies, boost.

-------------
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg

Posted By: DLC1325
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 1:04am
Well said, Meow, well said.  Though I will say your 10mm Cypress certainly add a fair amount of boost to your play, no doubt.  Thumbs Up  I used to use a 9mm 1-ply hinoki with TG2 Neo on both sides and there was no lack of boost there even on half-effort shots.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75309" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Posted By: book4all
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 1:37am
I am not planning to boost any rubbers, at least for now. My question is, what is the best way to utilize Chinese rubbers, like Hurricane 3 NEO, without boosting them? Harder blades or softer blades? Flex or not flex? etc. 

Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 2:07am
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

I am not planning to boost any rubbers, at least for now. My question is, what is the best way to utilize Chinese rubbers, like Hurricane 3 NEO, without boosting them? Harder blades or softer blades? Flex or not flex? etc. 

Conventional knowledge advises flexible blades for Chinese rubbers. Fairly fast all wood blades like the Avalox P700, Clipper and Clipper CR (maybe Infinity?) play well with Hurricane 3. I've never tried them but I'd also assume the Ma Long and Fang Bo blades by DHS play well using the same logic due to the carbon layers being deeper into the blade creating a more wood-like feel, but added power on hard shots when you engage the blade more.

Personally, I can't go any harder than medium hard for Chinese rubbers because I need good feeling to play with it effectively. I'm using an old Stiga carbon blade with limba outer plies atm but will give the Carbonado 145 a whirl when mine arrives in the mail.

-------------
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...

Posted By: MLfan
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 3:55am
Chinese rubbers do not HAVE to be boosted, but you're pretty much supposed to boost them.
They are meant to be boosted. It's so hard to use them if they're not boosted. Also, not every 3-4 months lol. More like every 3 weeks to 1 month.

Posted By: book4all
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 10:59am
Thanks imj8. 
MLfan: if one time boost can last 6 months, I will try. For every 3 weeks to one month, I just don't have that much initiative. :) Someone should offer a rubber boosting service so people can send in their rubbers. 

Posted By: SmackDAT
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

Have a look at Yinhe Big Dipper/Yasaka Shining Dragon

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Posted By: Shifu
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 12:49pm
Yeah the Clipper and Clipper CR are used by many high level Chinese players. Don't use the WRB system since it makes the racket super head heavy.

Posted By: tabletennisfire
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 10:10pm
Thank you all for the responses.

Posted By: man_iii
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 10:52pm
Boosting isnt expensive. All you need to do is buy some Johnsons baby oil LOL

You can keep boosting at least 6 months or 1 year.

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 11:11pm
No you don't Have to boost them.

I've tried boosting and I don't feel there is enough difference to bother with it. (Yes, the rubber will feel a little bit livelier but you also lose some level of control) Plus, some sheets might develop bubbles (a couple of mine did), and boosting your sheets shortens their life span. I am opting to boosting once a virgin sheet starts to feel dead after many many months of use. Then I'll boost it to get some extra mileage.

I use Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge on my FH. I don't boost my BH rubber at all.

FdT

Posted By: DLC1325
Date Posted: 06/27/2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by man_iii man_iii wrote:

Boosting isnt expensive. All you need to do is buy some Johnsons baby oil LOL

You can keep boosting at least 6 months or 1 year.

I've read this before about baby oil. I may have to give it a try on my H3 BS.

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 12:20am
Baby oil is useless. You want something that gives you real effect, not something that just results in a piece of bloated rubber. Serious players have gotta try the Seamoon, at the very least. If you feel real enthusiastic, there is the US$50 a bottle(100ml) of yellow oil or black oil to try.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Posted By: ThePongProfessor
Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 12:34am
No, they don't, you just might need a fast hard blade.

-------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/feedback-thepongprofessor_topic69419.html" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 7:05am
would you think a stratus Powerwood would be fast enough for a 15 year old with hurricane 3 neo on fh.

IMO and experience the 15 year old player really well with h3n on stratus, however when he is a bit tired or off his game he offers too many easy balls

however when he plays close to the table and really loops fast he can be devastating ans very spinny with difficult trajectories.

this is very difficult to maintain for a tournament and is quite exhausting for him.

as far as I know he is the only cadet in England top 50 who uses hurricane 3 neo?

personally I think he should try tenergy 05 of evolution el-s so he can spin but also hit harder and faster when necessary
he seems to prefer dropping off the table a little bit

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler

Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

would you think a stratus Powerwood would be fast enough for a 15 year old with hurricane 3 neo on fh.

IMO and experience the 15 year old player really well with h3n on stratus, however when he is a bit tired or off his game he offers too many easy balls

however when he plays close to the table and really loops fast he can be devastating ans very spinny with difficult trajectories.

this is very difficult to maintain for a tournament and is quite exhausting for him.

as far as I know he is the only cadet in England top 50 who uses hurricane 3 neo?

personally I think he should try tenergy 05 of evolution el-s so he can spin but also hit harder and faster when necessary

Have a look at ALC blades for H3 Neo, or consider boosting with 1-2 layers?

Fang Bo 2 or Samsonov Stratus Carbon are great limba/alc blades

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:27am

On close to the table looping???  That can be a lot of things but it should not be exhausting, especially for a 15 yo.  This is not an equipment problem and it will not have an equipment fix.

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:40am

Everyone is enamored with H3N because that's what the CNT is using.  But players ignore the fact that what the CNT uses (rubber, sponge, "factory" tuning, etc.) is not exactly available to the general public.  Plus they are fit athletes to begin with.  I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2.
http://ttnpp.com/store/haifu/492-haifu-blue-whale-ii-factory-tuned-upgrade-vacuum-packed-6.html" rel="nofollow - http://ttnpp.com/store/haifu/492-haifu-blue-whale-ii-factory-tuned-upgrade-vacuum-packed-6.html

No need for messy self tuning and also great mid court capabilities.  And tell him to stop covering his serves Smile

Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

On close to the table looping???  That can be a lot of things but it should not be exhausting, especially for a 15 yo.  This is not an equipment problem and it will not have an equipment fix.

I disagree, if you're playing all day and putting 100% into loops with h3n its certainly a lot more tiring than using a tensor.
although I agree it should not be a problem for a 15 year old. maybe if he ate his vegetables and fruit and went to bed at a sensible time and did not go on his phone late at night and then trained 10 hours a week it would be ok

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:25pm
"Everyone is enamored with H3N because that's what the CNT is using.  But players ignore the fact that what the CNT uses (rubber, sponge, "factory" tuning, etc.) is not exactly available to the general public."

That's your assumption. A friend let me borrow his racket with Hurricane 3 BS and it felt really good. I had tried the commercial version of Hurricane 3, with the orange sponge and THAT one felt like a brick so I was skeptical at first. But the Blue sponge was different. So I bought a sheet from him. Best rubber I've ever tried on my FH. Even if it was a fake one, it was still better than all the other sheets I had tried. So I use because I tried it and liked it, not b/c the CNT uses it.

FdT

Posted By: icontek
Date Posted: 06/29/2017 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"Everyone is enamored with H3N because that's what the CNT is using.  But players ignore the fact that what the CNT uses (rubber, sponge, "factory" tuning, etc.) is not exactly available to the general public."

That's your assumption. A friend let me borrow his racket with Hurricane 3 BS and it felt really good. I had tried the commercial version of Hurricane 3, with the orange sponge and THAT one felt like a brick so I was skeptical at first. But the Blue sponge was different. So I bought a sheet from him. Best rubber I've ever tried on my FH. Even if it was a fake one, it was still better than all the other sheets I had tried. So I use because I tried it and liked it, not b/c the CNT uses it.

FdT

Some of the Blue Sponge H3's are absolutely amazing for those of us with less than CNT training. They are usually very "booster friendly" and perform at peak for a few weeks.

But, as discussed ad infinitum, those blue sponge variants aren't usually commercial offerings, and frequently have short lifespans. I'd almost argue that because those BS variants play so well for mortals, and generally run softer than what the pros use, the chance of fakery is very high.

Especially since they usually cost more than legitimate DHS product.

-------------
http://bit.ly/vLMhuB" rel="nofollow - - RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Date Posted: 07/01/2017 at 4:52pm

FdT

I'm pretty sure loads of the CNT women use orange sponge national H3 Neo right? And FTW

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)

Posted By: MLfan
Date Posted: 07/02/2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

FdT

I'm pretty sure loads of the CNT women use orange sponge national H3 Neo right? And FTW

Yup, the orange sponge doesn't require as much self-power.

Date Posted: 07/02/2017 at 2:57pm
"I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2."

Can anyone without an agenda of selling a particular rubber compare the Haifu rubber with the H3 BS please? 

FdT.

Date Posted: 07/02/2017 at 4:13pm

"I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2."

Can anyone without an agenda of selling a particular rubber compare the Haifu rubber with the H3 BS please? 

FdT.
Seems like the lower performance rubber vs H3 BS/H3 orange, Liu Shiwen and Samsonov used to use Grip-S (clone of BW2) before changing to H3 BS and MXP respectively! No pros currently use it if that's anything to go by

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 07/02/2017 at 9:35pm

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">"I would suggest considering the Haifu Blue Whale 2."</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Can anyone without an agenda of selling a particular rubber compare the Haifu rubber with the H3 BS please? </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">FdT.</span>

I read that BW doesnt last.any can confirm and who sells a good BW sheet?

Posted By: chop4ever
Date Posted: 07/02/2017 at 9:47pm
I make Reviver so I can't say good for it. However I recommend every one who boosts Chinese rubbers must not use baby oil or Falco, others are okay.

-------------
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster

Date Posted: 07/02/2017 at 10:09pm
I can attest that it doesn't last, as many clubmates switched to BW 2 and they were shocked by lamination.

Blue Whale 2 was a hit in 2009 and 2010. After glue ban, DHS came up with the ill-fated #19 Yunhai Sponge. It was a total flop. Haifu came out with the Blue Whale 2 and the all-mighty booster. Many top CNT members switched for a brief while and it is said it ate into the margins of DHS so much that LGL had to ban it from the national team.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 07/03/2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Many top CNT members switched for a brief while and it is said it ate into the margins of DHS so much that LGL had to ban it from the national team.

That says a lot right there LOL!

Posted By: Hozuki
Date Posted: 07/03/2017 at 3:39pm
Isn't it Haifu's factory tuned version of H2?

Date Posted: 07/03/2017 at 11:34pm

I can attest that it doesn't last, as many clubmates switched to BW 2 and they were shocked by lamination.

Blue Whale 2 was a hit in 2009 and 2010. After glue ban, DHS came up with the ill-fated #19 Yunhai Sponge. It was a total flop. Haifu came out with the Blue Whale 2 and the all-mighty booster. Many top CNT members switched for a brief while and it is said it ate into the margins of DHS so much that LGL had to ban it from the national team.

However, the price of Blue Whale(s) are unrealistic for such a kind of rubber. In my view, even BW3 (factory tuned) is weaker than H3 (original untuned).

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Posted By: young dude
Date Posted: 07/04/2017 at 1:04am
Boosting has no disadvantages besides possibly shortening the lifespan of the rubber / sponge, but not by much.  If you are playing the non- Neo version of Hurricane rubbers, boosting is all but a must.  Neo rubbers also benefit significantly from boosting as well, although not as much as non - Neo Hurricanes. 

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79274&title=young-dude-buy-sell-feedbacks" rel="nofollow - My Buy & Sell Feedbacks

Date Posted: 07/04/2017 at 3:24am
Blue Whale 2 went for roughly US$12 a piece, which was competitive compared with H3's $15, until you found out the hard way where those 3 dollars went.

OTOH, the Blue Whale 3 was of really high quality, and came with an equally high price tag of $60. For reference, the provincial H3 with the old top sheet was going for roughly $20. I had the chance to try out a national blue sponge H3 and a Blue Whale 3 on the Ebenholz NCT VII and both were good and got the same job done, so it is worth it if you have some extra money lying around.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 07/04/2017 at 3:49am

Blue Whale 2 went for roughly US$12 a piece, which was competitive compared with H3's $15, until you found out the hard way where those 3 dollars went.

OTOH, the Blue Whale 3 was of really high quality, and came with an equally high price tag of $60. For reference, the provincial H3 with the old top sheet was going for roughly $20. I had the chance to try out a national blue sponge H3 and a Blue Whale 3 on the Ebenholz NCT VII and both were good and got the same job done, so it is worth it if you have some extra money lying around.

Opps, sorry!
I have research on the recent prices and have found a similar price as yours. In this case, BW2+booster would be the best alternative for H3.
Please note that H3 price has been increased much higher than $15.

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Date Posted: 07/04/2017 at 4:46am
Commercial is still selling for roughly that price in Hong Kong, and is even lower in China. Provincial is the one that has skyrocketed over the years, from $20 to $33.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 07/04/2017 at 10:05am
Thanks for the info guys!!

I had forgotten than Haifu BW2 was a clone of Tibhar Grip-s. Or is it the other way around, can't remember....

Have read a few reviews in other sites and a lot of them note that Haifu BW2 lasts about a month.
My H3 BS seem to last about 12 months give or take. I can't practice as often and I do have more than one racket.

FdT

Posted By: bschap
Date Posted: 07/27/2017 at 2:22pm
I played with my first chinese rubber ever last week...Dianchi D.  Also it comes pre-boosted.  It was a very interesting experience and def makes me think about trying more chinese rubber.  My Q, let's say w DHS rubber...do any of them come pre-boosted?  I def don't want to start doing my own boosting.  Would only be int in buying a pre-boosted rubber.  So, which ones come pre-boosted?

Thanks.

Date Posted: 07/27/2017 at 4:16pm
Anything 'neo' comes pre-boosted. H8 is pre boosted. Tinarc is on a #60 sponge, so it shouldn't need boosting. Goldarc 5&8 are ESN, and don't need boosting either.

H8 is probably your best bet, as the 'neo' rubbers run out of factory tuning after they are played with enough.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/27/2017 at 4:40pm
Thanks.  how hard is H8 (hard)?  Harder than ten 05?

Date Posted: 07/27/2017 at 5:41pm
Yes. It comes in 39 and 40 degrees, which is harder than Tenergy.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/27/2017 at 6:35pm
ah ok...so even H8 regular is harder than Ten 05?

Date Posted: 07/28/2017 at 10:53am
yes

-------------

Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 7:21am
regarding boosting, try hurricane 3 neo on a yasaka ma lin extra offensive and tell me its slow??
its like a rocket

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Posted By: emihet
Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 4:21pm
i can't use chinese rubber well if i don't boost/tune it

-------------
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades

Posted By: wanchope
Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 4:38pm
Does the nittaku hurricane 3 neo require boosting after a month or two?

-------------
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 5:11pm
Since this topic is about boosting, which chinese rubber you guys think becomes the best after boosting?
Would it be H3 Neo? Or TG3, TG3N, H2N or something else?

Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Since this topic is about boosting, which chinese rubber you guys think becomes the best after boosting?

Best?

At my level, with my limited footwork:

TG2 was the most user friendly after Falco Long.

H3Neo was the most powerful, but only if your footwork and stroke was good...

TG2Neo is a bit of a compromise, more of the neo speed, but not as easy to use as TG2 boosted.

H2 was only useful for counterattacking topspin; the low throw made openings against heavy underspin more difficult than TG2 or H3.

-------------

Posted By: ohwell
Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

They all perform best boosted, so it's just a matter of which one suits your playing the best.  I like h3n.  It's just savage when spinning hard, but has control in spades when slowing down.  It's topsheet + pimples are also quite supple for a traditional tacky rubber.

Posted By: LUCKYLOOP
Date Posted: 09/27/2017 at 7:10pm

Addressing thread question, play with any of the Hurricane rubbers right out of the package before you boost vs players you normally play at club, what are your results. Then compare your results using the same rubbers boosted by you. That will answer you personal question.

-------------
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX

Posted By: el luchador
Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 6:58pm
guys, boosting/juicing is illegal.

If you are going to break the rules anyway why not do it right and use some real stuff like speed glue 

-------------
Do or do not, there is no try- Yoda

Posted By: berndt_mann
Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by el luchador el luchador wrote:

If you are going to break the rules anyway why not do it right and use some real stuff like speed glue 

Yeah.  Don't be a wuss about it.  If you're gonna break the rules, you might as well break 'em right.

I, as a reformed speed gluer who saw the light in 1997, highly recommend Rema (Tip-Top) vulcanizing fluid.  It's cheap, $2.43 for a 5 gram tube, works great on sealing up your bicycle tires, and was the choice of champions before a whole bunch of manufacturers came up with their own speed glues.  

-------------
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber

Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 9:01pm
Indeed.

Posted By: ohwell
Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 10:41pm

Because we all want to be gluing every day all day!

Date Posted: 09/28/2017 at 11:32pm
First, they don't make speedglue the way it was meant to be glued anymore. TSP speedglue. Butterfly speedglue. No more.

Second, they don't make rubbers the way it was meant to be glued anymore. Old H3. Bryce Hard. No more.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:50am
if you want a chinese FH rubber that doesn't need boosting to make the low to mid end speed useful,

try Sanwei Target National.

It plays like a faster spinnier version of tinarc, but feels more like a controllable, harder sponged H3.

Sure it's lacking the top end speed of boosted H3... But the spin to speed ratio is good (the kick, after table contact) and the arc is low when you drive... I really don't have any complaints.

-------------

Posted By: Kolev
Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 3:54am
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Yeah.  Don't be a wuss about it.  If you're gonna break the rules, you might as well break 'em right.

I, as a reformed speed gluer who saw the light in 1997, highly recommend Rema (Tip-Top) vulcanizing fluid.  It's cheap, $2.43 for a 5 gram tube, works great on sealing up your bicycle tires, and was the choice of champions before a whole bunch of manufacturers came up with their own speed glues.  

How exactly do you use this stuff? Do you have to reglue every time as with the SG? Can the rubber be removed easily after using this glue? Thanks

-------------
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

Because we all want to be gluing every day all day!

only if you are a professional playing international competitions.

for making the rubber more lively and fast, juicing the rubber with solvents will last for up to a week before it falls off

-------------

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 10:47pm

First, they don't make speedglue the way it was meant to be glued anymore. TSP speedglue. Butterfly speedglue. No more.

Second, they don't make rubbers the way it was meant to be glued anymore. Old H3. Bryce Hard. No more.

you can make your own speed glue as good as or better than the old stuff with parts readily available at ace hardware/ lowes etc

2. as someone who uses chinese rubber exclusively I can tell you that almost any tacky chinese rubber will respond to speed glue well.

-------------

Posted By: berndt_mann
Date Posted: 09/30/2017 at 1:06am
Damn.  Are we talking about the sport once proudly calling itself table tennis, or some sort of grotesque twenty-first century alchemy, turning Hurricane Neo whatever from merely the fastest spinniest rubber on the planet into something that table tennis humankind has never before encountered but which will doubtless be surpassed by its descendants and their descendant boosters?

Can anybody play this game anymore without having to be some sort of friggin' Professor Irwin Corey searching evermore and evermore for the Holy Grail which will impart all the technological acumen that science can bring to bear for ever and ever for ever and ever hallelujah amen to the Chernobylized megaradiated wasteland that could once call itself a sport?

-------------
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber

Date Posted: 09/30/2017 at 6:55am
Has anyone tried regluing boosted rubber?

I boosted H3neo and stuck it onto my back up blade and want to stick it onto my main blade as a replacement for my old fh.

Presumably the booster would have already soaked into the sponge so regluing (including removing the residue) wouldn't hamper the boosting effect, right?

Would appreciate any feedback before I take action. Thanks :)

-------------
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 09/30/2017 at 7:17am
If your rubber shrink then you will need to reboots.

Date Posted: 09/30/2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

Has anyone tried regluing boosted rubber?

I boosted H3neo and stuck it onto my back up blade and want to stick it onto my main blade as a replacement for my old fh.

Presumably the booster would have already soaked into the sponge so regluing (including removing the residue) wouldn't hamper the boosting effect, right?

Would appreciate any feedback before I take action. Thanks :)

sometimes booster will hide the smell of speedglue

Date Posted: 09/30/2017 at 4:51pm
I'm not trying to speed glue it. I'm just trying to migrate it from one blade to another and wonder if I need to boost it again.

-------------
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...

Date Posted: 09/30/2017 at 5:26pm

Damn.  Are we talking about the sport once proudly calling itself table tennis, or some sort of grotesque twenty-first century alchemy, turning Hurricane Neo whatever from merely the fastest spinniest rubber on the planet into something that table tennis humankind has never before encountered but which will doubtless be surpassed by its descendants and their descendant boosters?

Can anybody play this game anymore without having to be some sort of friggin' Professor Irwin Corey searching evermore and evermore for the Holy Grail which will impart all the technological acumen that science can bring to bear for ever and ever for ever and ever hallelujah amen to the Chernobylized megaradiated wasteland that could once call itself a sport?

yes, you could pay $80 a sheet for tenergy 05 and have no need to boost.

Problem solved. think about it.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/30/2017 at 9:35pm

i am very happy with Sanewei Target National and Rasant. 

Really, zero complaints.

-------------

Posted By: richrf
Date Posted: 10/03/2017 at 8:56am

The sport has certainly morphed into some bizarre equipment game which is undoubtedly one of the reasons the game has limited popularity. It is also one of the reasons Tenergy dominates. It is the safe place to go among 1000s of junk permutations. I was thinking about getting Tenergy as my next rubber because I'm tired if hunting for rubber and then throwing it away, but $150 for two pieces of rubber???

It was better when it was just Sriver, Mark V, and some rock hard Double Happiness. Everyone was playing with the same equipment and it was more a game of skill and less a game of equipment.

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:30pm
I had better put my 6pence in, I find most players I know of at a  club level will leave their Chinese rubber on their blade with no boosting/tuning or re-gluing for the life of the rubber, which could be years

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Date Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:37pm
The same here

-------------

Date Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I had better put my 6pence in, I find most players I know of at a  club level will leave their Chinese rubber on their blade with no boosting/tuning or re-gluing for the life of the rubber, which could be years

Are you guys sure about this? I play in the NY area where there are tons of high level players using DHS, and everyone I've asked tells me they boost. Without boosting, at least with the DHS, you might as well just play with a piece of lumber. I tried using Chinese without boosting for a while and the control and spin was great, only I was exhausted trying to win a point. There was no gear to go to either spin or speed. Of course, boosted it is a different story which is why they are all boosting in competition. Maybe it is just NY?

Date Posted: 10/03/2017 at 7:04pm
I boost mine TG3NEO and truly enjoy it, but I can't recall anyone else who is doing it. At least in my club.

-------------

Posted By: Swiff
Date Posted: 10/04/2017 at 4:56pm
The answer is yes. 

Chinese rubbers have to be boosted in order to be used.  If you don't boost the rubber, you cannot play with it.  Pig

-------------

Date Posted: 10/04/2017 at 8:16pm
In fact it would be immoral to not boost it.

Date Posted: 10/04/2017 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

In fact it would be immoral to not boost it.

A point that needs to be raised with the ITTF.

Posted By: hungry cow
Date Posted: 10/04/2017 at 10:26pm
Yes, it must be boosted.  Otherwise it is so dead that no matter how hard you hit the ball with perfect technique it will not be possible to even clear the net.  That is what it seems some would have you think.

But no, it absolutely does not need to be boosted.  I use it un-boosted as do a few other players in my club.  None of us boost it.  If you are looking for a linear rubber that gives exactly what you put in, slow and controlled in the short game, a powerhouse on power shots, with every gear in between.  Then use it un-boosted.  If I wanted a rubber that was fast and spinny even without a powerful stroke I would get a tensor rubber, but the very reasons I like Chinese rubbers are the things you get from them non-boosted.

-------------
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0

Date Posted: 10/04/2017 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by hungry cow hungry cow wrote:

Yes, it must be boosted.  Otherwise it is so dead that no matter how hard you hit the ball with perfect technique it will not be possible to even clear the net.  That is what it seems some would have you think.

But no, it absolutely does not need to be boosted.  I use it un-boosted as do a few other players in my club.  None of us boost it.  If you are looking for a linear rubber that gives exactly what you put in, slow and controlled in the short game, a powerhouse on power shots, with every gear in between.  Then use it un-boosted.  If I wanted a rubber that was fast and spinny even without a powerful stroke I would get a tensor rubber, but the very reasons I like Chinese rubbers are the things you get from them non-boosted.

Disagreed!
H3 original is fast enough unboosted. The matter is your technic.
The reason we are here all have different feeling because we all have different CN rubbers.

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Date Posted: 10/05/2017 at 2:01am
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Disagreed!
The reason we are here all have different feeling because we all have different CN rubbers.

..is fast enough for amateurs not pros

Posted By: panany
Date Posted: 10/05/2017 at 6:53pm
For me yes h3 neo ned be boosted :) i use h3 neo with booster for my forehand , and this is my best shot haha

I habe very bad backhand :( i know only how bloc haha

Date Posted: 10/06/2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Disagreed!

99% members here are not pro.

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Posted By: Hozuki
Date Posted: 10/06/2017 at 9:48am
I think the main advantage of boosting for the average player is the resulting improved feeling. With better feedback of the rubber, it is easier to appropriately gauge one's swings and thus it facilitates improvement.

Date Posted: 10/06/2017 at 10:10am
there are only two ways of cheating in table tennis.

boosting and illegal serving.

very sad!!

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 10/06/2017 at 10:19am
"there are only two ways of cheating in table tennis.

boosting and illegal serving.

very sad!!"

- calling the wrong score. (usually it favors them) LOL
- calling net/edge when there was none.
- calling a let for no reason at all.
- switching rackets in the middle of a game!!! LOLLOL

FdT

Posted By: Swiff
Date Posted: 10/06/2017 at 11:13am

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Disagreed!

99% members here are not pro.

I think 100% of members here aren't pros. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 10/06/2017 at 1:32pm
Many are pros.

Just not in table tennis.

Posted By: ZingyDNA
Date Posted: 10/06/2017 at 1:33pm
William Henzell posted here.

Date Posted: 10/08/2017 at 8:15am
unboosted chinese rubber is great for beginners. 
it is very direct, ie the rubber does what you make it do, it doesnt add any personality of its own.

I use slow tacky chinese rubber mostly. in the last three months my rating went from 1365 to 1677 using $5 unboosted rubbers

I noticed that as I was playing a higher level of players, my chinese rubber seems to put me at a disadvantage. Its not fast enough to stress the opponent, but not slow enough to be a pure defensive rubber. the opponents ball is coming back to me quick, and I have no answer,

for grins I decided to juice my rubbers since I have some solvents at home.
WHOA NELLY! HOLY Speed n spin batman. 
with a boosted rubber I can step back three feet from my normal position and still have more speed and spin on the ball than the unboosted rubber. 
on the backhand, a flick of the wrist returns a faster ball than a full stroke with unboosted rubber. 

now I understand why ALL the pros were juicing when it was legal, and why ALL the pros using chinese rubbers are STILL boosting- the advantage of a boosted rubber is that huge.

BTW, speed glue and boost are NOT illegal in club play so boost to your hearts content if you are a club player.

one thing I like about boosted chinese rubber vs european rubber is the feel. it feels so good and still so much control- until you put a little swing behind it and then watch out.

-------------

Date Posted: 10/08/2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

William Henzell posted here.

As does Dan Seemiller on occasion, who in his prime had a much higher world ranking.

Date Posted: 10/09/2017 at 10:06am
one thing: boosting Chinese rubber is not the same as softening Chinese rubber. As many one here using Falco, it does add a little bit speed on rubber but loosening the glue under topsheet pips, hence causes bubbles quickly.
Using booster, using non-paraffin oil solvent.

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Posted By: king_pong
Date Posted: 10/09/2017 at 2:24pm
Lamp Oil: Mineral oil: D-Limonene
2:1:1

(If you're into this sorta stuff)

-------------
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 10/09/2017 at 11:40pm
just saw a video from EmRatThich, said the main ingredient in FTL is tridecane which is both toxic and carcinogenic.   lots of things are carcinogenic.  could anyone offer what degree of carcinogenic effect does brief exposure to tridecane (while you are brushing on FTL) is comparable to other exposures we might encounter during our daily lives.  any info on how dangerous is the FTL to our health is at the bottom of this inquiry.

Date Posted: 10/10/2017 at 12:55am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

just saw a video from EmRatThich, said the main ingredient in FTL is tridecane which is both toxic and carcinogenic.   lots of things are carcinogenic.  could anyone offer what degree of carcinogenic effect does brief exposure to tridecane (while you are brushing on FTL) is comparable to other exposures we might encounter during our daily lives.  any info on how dangerous is the FTL to our health is at the bottom of this inquiry.

Why even go there? It is a sport, a game. It is suppose to be fun. What's the purpose of exposing yourself to more and more toxins? We should be doing the reverse. It's never one thing, it is the combination of everything that finally breaks the camel's back.

Date Posted: 10/10/2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Why even go there? It is a sport, a game. It is suppose to be fun. What's the purpose of exposing yourself to more and more toxins? We should be doing the reverse. It's never one thing, it is the combination of everything that finally breaks the camel's back.

not disagreeing with you, and I have to state that only a very small % of my rubbers are boosted by me, so my question is more or less just for knowledge and maybe more important for people who boost extensively

Posted By: manraid
Date Posted: 10/12/2017 at 4:37pm
i overcome the speed glue issue and i put chinese tacky rubber on my fast blade and  i didn't see any slowness in my strokes in matter of fact my strokes with my combo (blade+rubbers) is very powerful to the degree that i step away from the table about 5-6 meters and still my strokes land on the opponent side of table

i gain the advantage of my blade and the advantage of the chinese tacky rubber

-------------
MJ SZLC ST

FH Hurricane 8 2.15m Black
BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

Date Posted: 11/07/2017 at 11:19am

one thing: boosting Chinese rubber is not the same as softening Chinese rubber. As many one here using Falco, it does add a little bit speed on rubber but loosening the glue under topsheet pips, hence causes bubbles quickly.

chop or anyone that that had a sheet of rubber bubble on them:  how does this bubble look like?  Is the bubble really obvious (high dome) or does it look like a spot that is freshly lumpy from too much glue being applied?

Date Posted: 11/07/2017 at 11:33am

chop or anyone that that had a sheet of rubber bubble on them:  how does this bubble look like?  Is the bubble really obvious (high dome) or does it look like a spot that is freshly lumpy from too much glue being applied?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63577&title=h3-neo-bubble-after-1-month

BTW, my sheet doesn't look like the above, it is a slightly lumpy area about 1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inches

Date Posted: 11/07/2017 at 11:59am
deleted

Date Posted: 11/07/2017 at 12:06pm
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13656&title=bubble-in-my-new-red-donic-f1-rubber

my problem looks like the sheet in the Oct 3 2007 picture by "Mafia"  except larger.  I find the rubber dumps more balls into the net than usual.  Do you guys still play with a rubber in such a condition?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net