Print Page | Close Window

Zhang Yudong avoids shaking hands with Hao Shuai

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Pictures & Videos
Forum Name: Videos
Forum Description: Post table tennis video download information here.
Moderator: mickd
Assistant Moderators:

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81583
Printed Date: 04/24/2024 at 7:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Zhang Yudong avoids shaking hands with Hao Shuai
Posted By: GECA
Subject: Zhang Yudong avoids shaking hands with Hao Shuai
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 1:49pm
How about that?!

Replies:
Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 2:04pm
Maybe he doesn't like him, or he is just trying to avoid catching the flu?

Posted By: Odie
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 6:25pm
The quality and authenticity of the handshake at the end of most pro matches is piss-poor.  Typically a weak, wet slap with little eye contact and even less meaning.  I guess this is the ultimate expression of that mentality.

Posted By: hunkeelin
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

The quality and authenticity of the handshake at the end of most pro matches is piss-poor.  Typically a weak, wet slap with little eye contact and even less meaning.  I guess this is the ultimate expression of that mentality.

There's beef between the two; but ffs i hate it when casuals in youtube or forum give me "hand slap dis-respect chinese no respect for sport blablabla". The reason why we do hand slap is because after a match our hands are really sweaty and gross. That's why we slap instead of a proper handshake. 

-------------
USATT: Current 2139 as of 11/2019

Posted By: Odie
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 8:15pm
Uh huh.

Posted By: wanhao
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 9:21pm
Should learn from Thais just Wai..or Japanese just bow..

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

There's beef between the two; but ffs i hate it when casuals in youtube or forum give me "hand slap dis-respect chinese no respect for sport blablabla". The reason why we do hand slap is because after a match our hands are really sweaty and gross. That's why we slap instead of a proper handshake. 

I agree about the sweat.

Posted By: Wzhang8107
Date Posted: 01/22/2018 at 11:21pm
Just in case people don't understand Chinese. In the beginning of this clip, Hao Shuai was accusing Zhang Yudong put sweat on the ball when serving that cause him unable to loop the ball on the table. He said something like " bro I know you want to win, but you can't do that." Zhang said it is the humidity in the stadium cause that and that happened to him in earlier sets as well but Hao Shuai didn't buy it. And also the ref said Zhang didn't do that dirty trick and denied Hao Shuai's accusation. So I think the fire was on at that point.
At the near end of the clip, after Hao Shuai won the game point, he yelled "Cao" which means F@#k in Chinese O.O, I think that is why Zhang didn't want to shake hand with him. After Hao Shuai realized Zhang didn't shake hand he called ref and said "ma le g bi" to Zhang Yudong which I don't even want to translate lolz, probably the worst cursing phrase in Chinese, pretty damn nasty. So I think both players didn't behave well but by saying the nasty sentence like that on live TV Hao Shuai was a lot worse in my opinion. 

Posted By: kenneyy88
Date Posted: 01/23/2018 at 1:04am
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

Handshakes are more of a western tradition. 

Posted By: HuLimei
Date Posted: 01/23/2018 at 1:54am
Originally posted by GECA GECA wrote:

How about that?!

The most surprising thing about this is Hao Shuai is still playing.

Posted By: BMonkey
Date Posted: 01/23/2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Wzhang8107 Wzhang8107 wrote:

Just in case people don't understand Chinese. In the beginning of this clip, Hao Shuai was accusing Zhang Yudong put sweat on the ball when serving that cause him unable to loop the ball on the table. He said something like " bro I know you want to win, but you can't do that." Zhang said it is the humidity in the stadium cause that and that happened to him in earlier sets as well but Hao Shuai didn't buy it. And also the ref said Zhang didn't do that dirty trick and denied Hao Shuai's accusation. So I think the fire was on at that point.
At the near end of the clip, after Hao Shuai won the game point, he yelled "Cao" which means F@#k in Chinese O.O, I think that is why Zhang didn't want to shake hand with him. After Hao Shuai realized Zhang didn't shake hand he called ref and said "ma le g bi" to Zhang Yudong which I don't even want to translate lolz, probably the worst cursing phrase in Chinese, pretty damn nasty. So I think both players didn't behave well but by saying the nasty sentence like that on live TV Hao Shuai was a lot worse in my opinion. 
I watched the whole match and saw the same things you did, but the conclusion I drew was totally different....

Hao Shuai went up 2 games to 0 on Zhang Yudong with his tricky service game. Finally in the 3rd game Zhang Yudong caught on and started to be able to receive it better. The momentum started shifting away from Hao Shuai, but he was still holding on. Hao Shuai had to do something to break Zhang Yudong's momentum.

Before the main "wet" ball point, you can see him start complaining about camera flashes, wiping his paddle down because of "water" on it, in general just slowing the points down. It culminated with the "wet" ball complaint but the effect was achieved and Zhang Yudong's focus was completely broken. Personally I think it shows Hao Shuai's experience to know how to close out a match that's slipping away and break a player's focus. It's Zhang's fault for rising to the bait and getting so worked up.

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 01/23/2018 at 3:22pm
Lovely backhand cross court winner 

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Posted By: Wzhang8107
Date Posted: 01/23/2018 at 6:35pm
You are totally right man! Thank for the additional information as I only watched the clip not the whole match. Great analysis

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 01/24/2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Before the main "wet" ball point, you can see him start complaining about camera flashes, wiping his paddle down because of "water" on it, in general just slowing the points down. It culminated with the "wet" ball complaint but the effect was achieved and Zhang Yudong's focus was completely broken. Personally I think it shows Hao Shuai's experience to know how to close out a match that's slipping away and break a player's focus. It's Zhang's fault for rising to the bait and getting so worked up.

Well at least Hao Shuai learned something from the 2005 WTTC.  He must have been having flashbacks when Zhang Yudong started making a comeback and thought "Man, I better do something and fast."

As for how in the world he is still playing, I can only think of one word - guanxi.

Posted By: pingpungpeng
Date Posted: 01/24/2018 at 12:50pm

Posted By: bard romance
Date Posted: 01/24/2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Well at least Hao Shuai learned something from the 2005 WTTC.  He must have been having flashbacks when Zhang Yudong started making a comeback and thought "Man, I better do something and fast."

As for how in the world he is still playing, I can only think of one word - guanxi.

The ball clearly slipped off his paddle so the complaint was somewhat legitimate, but I'm glad all the analysts here have figured out the entire explanation of the situation.

As for how in the world he is still playing, he's currently ranked 19th in the individual standings out of 44 players on the men's side. 

Posted By: opinari
Date Posted: 01/24/2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Or perhaps lack thereof! 

Many of his colleagues have all graduated to coaching / management positions - he's also still playing at a high level, but I don't think continuing to play in the Super League is the first choice.

-------------
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena

Posted By: chongqinghotpot
Date Posted: 01/24/2018 at 11:38pm
Hao should have been slapped by LGL again.

-------------
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net