Print Page | Close Window

Harimoto forehand technique

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83198
Printed Date: 04/19/2024 at 2:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Harimoto forehand technique
Posted By: maurice101
Subject: Harimoto forehand technique
Date Posted: 07/30/2018 at 5:47pm
I was watching Harimoto's forehand at the practice call at the Australian Open last week. It was interesting to watch  his forehand and then watch the other players forehands at the practice hall. I noticed he gets a lot more hip and shoulder rotation compared to all the other players. Maybe he is more flexible? He does not seem to straighten his arm in the backswing much at all. He rotates forward very fast. It seems he rotates forward much much faster than all other players in the hall. It would be interesting to measure this with slow motion video and compare other players. This must give him a faster racket speed? Any comments on his technique from others?

Replies:
Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 07/30/2018 at 8:26pm
Yes, reminiscent of Gatien.

Posted By: Clarence247
Date Posted: 07/30/2018 at 9:21pm
That's obvious no?

The weaker a player is physically , the more he has to use hip and waist rotation to enhance the power of the shot. Actually everybody should! It's the way chinese coaches teach, rotation from the hip is the key to Spin , power and shot quality. When someone is underdeveloped physically compared to others he is competing with, it becomes even more important. It's also even more important with the new heavier ball.

I remember my lessons in 1996-2000 - the coach really emphasized on this

-------------
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP

Posted By: wanchope
Date Posted: 07/30/2018 at 10:37pm
His forehand level is way below his backhand level

-------------
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1

Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 4:52am
So if his strength increases and he continues to use a lot of very fast hip rotation he will develop a great forehand?

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 4:55am
No, it will only lead to injury at this rate. That's why the CNT doesn't encourage trunk rotation anymore.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 5:22am
ZJK is on the other end of the spectrum, with not a lot of waist rotation...and he got injured quite badly too... Fan Zhendong uses a lot of waist rotation too, and he seems quite healthy at the moment (don't know about the future tho!).

I have a fellow club member who just rips every shot mainly using shoulder movement and he still seems healthy after decades of playing!

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Posted By: Clarence247
Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 5:59am
Waist rotation dies not lead to injuries as long as the athlete is in good shape and maintains his flexibility through stretching. As athletes grow older they lose flexibility and if they don't compensate with specific stretching they do get injured. The best fh players use waist and legs a lot. Power from the ground, ration from the waist

-------------
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP

Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 3:13pm
Way less rotation after the introduction of the plastic balls, due to the speed of the balls and thus less time to reaction. Instead, one should use his/her hip to transfer the power from the leg. This is according to Li Sun, the head coach of the women's team. He actually used ZJK as an example against it.

-------------

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 4:47pm
women and men, don't they have different styles (with some exceptions)

Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I guess you thought that Li Sun knows nothing about men's team and they don't really train together, lol

-------------

Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

I guess you thought that Li Sun knows nothing about men's team and they don't really train together, lol
not knowing nothing about men's team but he might just be talking about the women's style (didn't see the interview)

Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 6:58pm

not knowing nothing about men's team but he might just be talking about the women's style (didn't see the interview)

If he was talking about female players only, I would've said so. No, he was referring to all players in general, using zjk as an example. If you understand Mandarin, it's easy to find the video clip. No more waist rotation with plastic balls.

-------------

Posted By: mykonos96
Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 7:07pm

If he was talking about female players only, I would've said so. No, he was referring to all players in general, using zjk as an example. If you understand Mandarin, it's easy to find the video clip. No more waist rotation with plastic balls.

It Would be great to have the translated video

Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 9:26pm
wanchope, would you say ML in the 2017 World Cup against TB was using his waist

Posted By: ZhouZhekai
Date Posted: 07/31/2018 at 11:22pm
I think another advantage of Harimoto is that it is applicable close to the table because the time needed for the stroke is less when compared to Ma Long or Fan Zhendong

Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 8:46am
This is where the technical stuff comes in.

The lower back refers to the lumbar spine, where the waist is. This part of the spine is not suited for rotation. Look it up on the net. It's been widely documented. Here's https://bretcontreras.com/topic-of-the-week-spinal-rotation-exercises/" rel="nofollow - an example . Simply put, waist rotation is bad.

Now, ZJK's injury is not in the lumbar spine, but in the sacrum. He was born with a fracture on the left side of it. The right side is now fractured as well due to training. The condition got worse after he sprained his ankle, as he had to put more stress on the lower back to compensate.

@ https://youtu.be/YnZJDhVeYRs?t=1008" rel="nofollow - 16:48

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 9:23am

ML started before the plastic ball era. So it's natural that these players would maintain some, if not all, the techniques from before. I think the idea is that using hip instead of waist rotation is the way to go, and the CNT (men and women) is working on this. Maybe if you compare ML's FH from before vs. today, you might see some difference. Also, FH from close to the table and from far away is different.
Again, this is a sport not a science. Being a top player depends on more than mere way of stroke. Everyone is different.

There are a lot of vidoes on this topic actually, at least those in manderin. Below is one of those that I mentioned. No subtitle though, :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzYhdtJIdBg

-------------

Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 9:31am

ML started before the plastic ball era. So it's natural that these players would maintain some, if not all, the techniques from before. I think the idea is that using hip instead of waist rotation is the way to go, and the CNT (men and women) is working on this. Maybe if you compare ML's FH from before vs. today, you might see some difference. Also, FH from close to the table and from far away is different.
Again, this is a sport not a science. Being a top player depends on more than mere way of stroke. Everyone is different.

There are a lot of vidoes on this topic actually, at least those in manderin. Below is one of those that I mentioned. No subtitle though, :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzYhdtJIdBg
I actually did see this and is applying whatever he said.  Do you have an example of a leading male player who is not using waist?

Posted By: danseemiller
Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 10:10am
Harimoto favors the BH. This gives him less time to turn for the Fh.
His neutral position is a bit left of center.
For instance Ma Long's FH was right of center for a long time and he has moved it a bit to the left to improve his BH.

-------------
DS

Posted By: APW46
Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 3:25pm
 The plastic ball has made a tempo change, we all feel it at every level. It is less effective to play a committed large power spin f/hand because it is easier for the opponent to cope with, unless there is a 'window' for a winner, an aggressor will end up out of tempo in the rally. 
The game has moved towards counter hit more than spin orientated. Short snappy strokes are the way to go, the b/hand is naturally that, f/hand not so, difficult for older players who have ingrained old style stroke production based on spin/power. 
 Baal is right, Gatien would be right on the ball now, not that he wasn't then lol. 
 As Dan says above, b/hand players have less time to commit and are by nature more square to the table, a disadvantage when playing off the table, but the new kids on the block just do not need to, they can meet the incoming topspin early off a square stance and time a short snappy counter loop to great effect.

-------------
The Older I get, The better I was.

Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 6:53pm

Posted By: Ieyasu
Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 7:43pm
"I think the idea is that using hip instead of waist rotation is the way to go"

How the heck can the waist not rotate when the hips do?

Can you link to a video showing this?

Date Posted: 08/01/2018 at 11:51pm
Look at Zhang Jike loop, barely any waist compared to Ma Long, but a explosive hip movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8IaMWXCK0

Date Posted: 08/02/2018 at 1:10am
Thanks for the video link ZhouZhekai.

Sure I see less body turn in ZJK's forehand, but the waist and hips turn together (at least that is what I'm seeing). However, I see more shoulder turn in ML's swing.

Anatomically, I just can't see how the waist can move separately from the hips, but I can see the shoulders turning more than the waist.  Again, at least that's what I'm seeing when comparing swings.

I agree with you as far as an explosive hip movement goes, since as the video captions say, the power is transferred from feet to hips, but I see the waist moving with the hips.

Date Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Thanks for the video link ZhouZhekai.

Sure I see less body turn in ZJK's forehand, but the waist and hips turn together (at least that is what I'm seeing). However, I see more shoulder turn in ML's swing.

Anatomically, I just can't see how the waist can move separately from the hips, but I can see the shoulders turning more than the waist.  Again, at least that's what I'm seeing when comparing swings.

I agree with you as far as an explosive hip movement goes, since as the video captions say, the power is transferred from feet to hips, but I see the waist moving with the hips.
since no one is answering you, here is my take.  you cannot use the hip without moving the waist, I think what they mean is the movement coming from the hip and the waist going with it - that is the waist not being rotated to any great extend beyond the movement attached to the hip.

Date Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:56am
Thx, tom. That makes sense! 

Date Posted: 08/03/2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by maurice101 maurice101 wrote:

I was watching Harimoto's forehand at the practice call at the Australian Open last week. It was interesting to watch  his forehand and then watch the other players forehands at the practice hall. I noticed he gets a lot more hip and shoulder rotation compared to all the other players. Maybe he is more flexible? He does not seem to straighten his arm in the backswing much at all. He rotates forward very fast. It seems he rotates forward much much faster than all other players in the hall. It would be interesting to measure this with slow motion video and compare other players. This must give him a faster racket speed? Any comments on his technique from others?

Liu said harimoto FH was average to low

Posted By: timole
Date Posted: 08/11/2018 at 10:28am

Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 08/11/2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by timole timole wrote:

Harimotos FH is still amateurs level; right elbow far from the body, not much power from his legs

Definitely amateur level. But his footwork must be amazing, since he has to play bhs all over the table to keep the other top ten WR men from getting into his fh.

Date Posted: 08/11/2018 at 1:47pm
How exactly is Harimoto's forehand amateurish. I agree that it is unconventional, and maybe injury prone, and not as great as his backhand. Many of the great players also had unconventional techniques: Gatien, Zhang Jike, Wang Liqin, Kreanga, and i think boll even described Waldners forehand as having no topspin(what does that mean). 

However one still has to consider that this is a forehand with which a 14/15 year old can survive in the World Top 20 relatively easily, so maybe compared to 25-35 year old it could be considered average.  

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 08/11/2018 at 1:52pm
Yeah, what non-sense is this calling harimoto's forehand being at an amatuer level, do you guys even know what constitutes amatuer level, its basically us, we are the amateurs, and I'd like to see someone with an amateur forehand take on and get matches off of the top 10 players.

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Posted By: PythonMonty
Date Posted: 08/11/2018 at 9:37pm
That's not an amateur level forehand. Wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'd wager a beer that Harimoto could beat a US 2500 level amateur using only his forehand. Most sports fans drastically underestimate the difference between pros and amateurs.

Posted By: larrytt
Date Posted: 08/11/2018 at 10:55pm
Harimoto's forehand is not his strength, but its quickness, angles, and placement are strengths that compensate for its lack of pure power. In my  http://tabletenniscoaching.com/node/2974" rel="nofollow - June 11 blog  I wrote about the six main things that make him so good. One of them was the following:

"5. Forehand without backing up. He doesn't nearly have the power of Ma Long or Fan Zhendong (yet), but his forehand is quicker, allowing him to take nearly every ball without backing up. Off a hard-hit shot I'd guess he takes the ball on average a full foot quicker than Ma or Fan. This puts tremendous time pressure on opponents, and makes his placement even more effective as players struggle to cover for these quick, aggressive topspins right at their elbow or at wide angles. On most shots, he can still loop at full power, but when rushed, he sacrifices speed for quickness and angles."

-Larry Hodges

-------------
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 08/11/2018 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by ZhouZhekai ZhouZhekai wrote:

How exactly is Harimoto's forehand amateurish. I agree that it is unconventional, and maybe injury prone, and not as great as his backhand. Many of the great players also had unconventional techniques: Gatien, Zhang Jike, Wang Liqin, Kreanga, and i think boll even described Waldners forehand as having no topspin(what does that mean). 

However one still has to consider that this is a forehand with which a 14/15 year old can survive in the World Top 20 relatively easily, so maybe compared to 25-35 year old it could be considered average.  

Liu gouliang said that harimoto FH was like a girl FH

Date Posted: 08/12/2018 at 3:15am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by ZhouZhekai ZhouZhekai wrote:

Liu gouliang said that harimoto FH was like a girl FH
maybe liu guoliang wanted to be funny but he made a great point: as we get closer to the table we play more like girls, control, placement, elbo closer to the body for quicker recovery etc.. He indirectly said that given Harimoto getting closer to the table, his fh had to be more compact. He complimented Harimoto without complimenting Japan, he respected his own technical knowledge and at the same time he respected his team, good man! I wish luck on his way back (I used to think he was playing king too much and now I miss him).

Liu talked too about lacking power in his FH

Posted By: DonnOlsen
Date Posted: 08/14/2018 at 7:28am
Harimoto at age 14
[Liu gouliang said that harimoto FH was like a girl FH

Liu talked too about lacking power in his FH]

From an important perspective, Liu Guoliang is completely wrong concerning Harimoto's forehand.  Harimoto has a powerful forehand for a 14 year old.  Since Liu has taken this stand, he should produce a video of more powerful 14 year old forehands.  I say this: Just wait until Harimoto gets really old, like age 17, then we will see what we will see.

It is important to remember that Liu did not spend long years professionally developing very young players.  He was, due to political strength, vaulted quickly to the coaching stratosphere.  Among the great Chinese coaches that have the young player developmental background, you will not find Liu confirmation.

Also, it is known that Liu, socially, strongly favors the "traditional" roles for women  (or "girls").  This was evident from a number of sources, including in the absence of women coaches at the highest level of the Chinese table tennis team system.  Men, men, men.  This attitude is decidedly not in compliance with the Chinese national leadership.  It is instructive that happily now, in this table tennis structure, women are found where they were not before.

Thanks.   

-------------
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.

Date Posted: 08/14/2018 at 9:33am
it is what it is, get over the age thing,  not talking about potential, just the current status

Posted By: lineup32
Date Posted: 08/14/2018 at 9:51am

it is what it is, get over the age thing,  not talking about potential, just the current status

8/2018 – General List – Men
Ranking     Previous     Name     Assoc.     Ranking Pts.
1     1     FAN Zhendong     CHN     17001
2     5     XU Xin     CHN     15385
3     2     BOLL Timo     GER     15205
4      3     LIN Gaoyuan     CHN     15189
5     4     OVTCHAROV Dimitrij     GER     14915
6     8     HARIMOTO Tomokazu     JPN     13584
7     6     MA Long     CHN     1350
8     7     LEE Sangsu     KOR     13374
9      10     CALDERANO Hugo     BRA     13355
10     9     WONG Chun Ting     HKG     12969

Date Posted: 08/14/2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Harimoto at age 14
[Liu gouliang said that harimoto FH was like a girl FH
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Liu talked too about lacking power in his FH]</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">From an important perspective, Liu Guoliang is completely wrong concerning Harimoto's forehand.  Harimoto has a powerful forehand for a 14 year old.  Since Liu has taken this stand, he should produce a video of more powerful 14 year old forehands.  I say this: Just wait until Harimoto gets really old, like age 17, then we will see what we will see.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">It is important to remember that Liu did not spend long years professionally developing very young players.  He was, due to political strength, vaulted quickly to the coaching stratosphere.  Among the great Chinese coaches that have the young player developmental background, you will not find Liu confirmation.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Also, it is known that Liu, socially, strongly favors the "traditional" roles for women  (or "girls").  This was evident from a number of sources, including in the absence of women coaches at the highest level of the Chinese table tennis team system.  Men, men, men.  This attitude is decidedly not in compliance with the Chinese national leadership.  It is instructive that happily now, in this table tennis structure, women are found where they were not before.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Thanks.   </span>

Can you point who says that liu is wrong?. So he or you must be a better coach to prove liu is wrong.
I dont see haromito scoring with his forehand check the natch against filus ruwen

Post a match where you can back your argument that liu is wrong regarding harimoto FH

Date Posted: 08/14/2018 at 2:30pm

Can you point who says that liu is wrong?. So he or you must be a better coach to prove liu is wrong.
I dont see haromito scoring with his forehand check the natch against filus ruwen

Post a match where you can back your argument that liu is wrong regarding harimoto FH

Harimoto scored lots of points with his quick, angled forehand in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWit1czZzc0" rel="nofollow - his win over Ma Long , and in similar matches. Ma could have played more to Harimoto's forehand, but instead went mostly crosscourt to Harimoto's backhand since any shot to Harimoto's forehand would have been met with that quick forehand. It's not as powerful as Ma's or Fan's, but quite effective. Otherwise, Ma and everyone else would simply play to Harimoto's forehand - but that simply doesn't work unless it's a very strong attack or they get Harimoto out of position first. 

And as people keep noting, he's still basically a kid who just turned 15 and will gain power as he gets older. The question is not whether he has as much power as, say, Ma or Fan, but whether he has comparable power for the best players his age. It would be pretty stupid tactics for him to go up against Ma or Fan and try to match them forehand power to power, so he does what he does better than they do, and so focuses on quickness and angles. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Posted By: Bardock
Date Posted: 08/14/2018 at 5:55pm
I mean he doesn't have the strongest forehand but definitely not amateur his forehand is pro level. Like Larry Hodges said his forehand is really quick and his angles are very good and it makes sense not everyone is textbook. But I notice other then him having a really quick forehand he really gets the ball right of the bounce so its like a onslaught of quick shots.

Posted By: garwor
Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 5:12am
if quick shots instead of power shots are future, soon woman will start beating man? They are smaller(less mass to move) and already adopted quick shots style.

Liu Shiwen vs Harimoto, what you think?
Mima Ito vs Ma Long?

-------------
http://stonitenis.rs/equipmentreviews" rel="nofollow - Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!

Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 8:53am
His forehand looked more powerful and "adult-like" in his last tournament.

Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

if quick shots instead of power shots are future, soon woman will start beating man? They are smaller(less mass to move) and already adopted quick shots style.

Mima Ito vs Ma Long?

I would love to see both thoae matches.

Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Mima Ito vs Ma Long?

I would love to see both thoae matches.

I dont think harimoto can beat ma long again

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 11:28am
Come on guys he's just a 15 yr old kid....even Fan Zhendong at 16 had power issues...and look where he is now!

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 11:43am

Mima Ito vs Ma Long?

good point LOLLOL 

Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Come on guys he's just a 15 yr old kid....even Fan Zhendong at 16 had power issues...and look where he is now!

Fan was faster at 16 harimoto plays flatfooted

Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 1:55pm

Harimoto is not flatfooted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BumusfekP_k" rel="nofollow - Here's video of him vs. Fan Zhendong . Watch both of their feet - they are constantly in motion, the opposite of flatfooted. The difference you may be thinking of is more about style - Harimoto has one of the best backhands in the world and so tends to play a more backhand-oriented game, while Fan has one of the best forehands in the world and so plays a more forehand-oriented game. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Posted By: bard romance
Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Harimoto is not flatfooted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BumusfekP_k" rel="nofollow - Here's video of him vs. Fan Zhendong . Watch both of their feet - they are constantly in motion, the opposite of flatfooted. The difference you may be thinking of is more about style - Harimoto has one of the best backhands in the world and so tends to play a more backhand-oriented game, while Fan has one of the best forehands in the world and so plays a more forehand-oriented game. 
-Larry Hodges

Larry, you may want to save your energy. Mykonos96 has come out of nowhere and made a disproportionate number of ridiculous claims in his short time as a poster here. Just saying...

Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 3:36pm

-Larry Hodges

Thanks for your input larry its great to know the opinion of someone who really knows the sport unlike some posters that pretend they know about the table tennis and being hostile.

Bard romance your opinion means nothing for me

Date Posted: 08/15/2018 at 4:27pm
I never personally go in for all the technique side of Table tennis, simply because what is 'correct' at any given point in time is not later on. The paradox is that without deviations in the mainstream coaching mantra TT would never evolve.
 TT evolves in cycles determined by innovation, without that the game would never evolve. If a player, technically can move, play a stroke and recover consistently, they have everything needed to go as far as their devotion will take them.  Look at players  like kreanga, Schlager,  and in his day Waldner, they all bucked the coaching trend of their time.  China is a little different, a very technique orientated system that obviously works for them , but they have numbers on their side.  European  table tennis innovations have determined Chinese Innovations, firstly by the Hungarians, secondly by the  Swedes.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/16/2018 at 6:32am
In addition, your technique has to match your body shape and dimensions. Samsonov and FZD would never look similar regardless of who coached them! Also there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is a video of Werner Schlager coaching footwork where he advocates a very efficient way of moving that runs counter to about 99.9% of coaching dogma.

The thing I notice about Harimoto is the quality of his serving and how smart he plays. And still a kid! When he gets stronger he will be even more scary.

Date Posted: 08/16/2018 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

There is a video of Werner Schlager coaching footwork where he advocates a very efficient way of moving that runs counter to about 99.9% of coaching dogma.
I think that was where he was showing a kid how to follow through back into position after looping a forehand from the wide forehand. It wasn't so much against coaching dogma as an classic example of high-level technique that isn't common below that level. Most players don't realize that you should adjust your follow-through based on your positioning so as to position yourself better for the next shot. I did a Tip of the Week on this once. 
-Larry Hodges

-------------
www.MDTTC.com

Date Posted: 08/16/2018 at 10:37am

There is a video of Werner Schlager coaching footwork where he advocates a very efficient way of moving that runs counter to about 99.9% of coaching dogma.
I think that was where he was showing a kid how to follow through back into position after looping a forehand from the wide forehand. It wasn't so much against coaching dogma as an classic example of high-level technique that isn't common below that level. Most players don't realize that you should adjust your follow-through based on your positioning so as to position yourself better for the next shot. I did a Tip of the Week on this once. 
-Larry Hodges
 Yes it was, I remember that too.

-------------

Posted By: Tt Gold
Date Posted: 08/17/2018 at 7:57am

In addition, your technique has to match your body shape and dimensions. Samsonov and FZD would never look similar regardless of who coached them! Also there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is a video of Werner Schlager coaching footwork where he advocates a very efficient way of moving that runs counter to about 99.9% of coaching dogma.

The thing I notice about Harimoto is the quality of his serving and how smart he plays. And still a kid! When he gets stronger he will be even more scary.
where can I find the video?

Date Posted: 08/17/2018 at 8:31am
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63413&PN=1&title=was-this-kids-technique-really-wrong" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63413&PN=1&title=was-this-kids-technique-really-wrong

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 08/17/2018 at 3:33pm
 Liam Pitchford! he has his own technique, think about that. 

-------------

Posted By: V-Griper
Date Posted: 08/19/2018 at 10:52pm
When Harimoto started playing in pro tournaments his forehand was not strong enough to generate much power on his own relative to the older/bigger players so he "borrows" power from the incoming shot and redirects as Larry pointed out. It's more of a counter hit/drive and is optimized more towards low cycle time rather than spin and speed. There is a clear difference between his current stroke technique and that of the ML and FZD. But I think this reflects a different approach by the coaching and player development systems as a lot of the JPN players have that close to the table block and fast counter-attack style, whereas the CN players tend mix in more big drive loops. 

I also have a question with regard to the "new style"  of play due to the nature of the new ball. 

What happened in the Australian & Bulgarian open finals? 

If HT is the way forward and spinning the ball and using big drive FHs is outdated then why did XX pretty much dominate HT and KM?

Here is one comparison of stroke styles. 

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Posted By: bes
Date Posted: 08/19/2018 at 11:38pm
I'm disagree with the video analysis...  

Whoever does the narrating says that Ma Long and Fan "keep their elbows close to their bodies".  The Video, however, seems to dispute this claim pretty clearly.  The video shows both their right elbows FAR from their bodies on their forward swings - at least on all full or nearly full power swings.  There were a couple "soft warm-up-type" strokes where they did not extend their arms or move the elbow much from the body, but those strokes clearly were not taken in anger and were not intened to do more than return the ball.  I'd go so far as to say that when they contact the ball on their power strokes, their elbows are pretty much AS FAR AS POSSIBLE from their bodies.

The do indeed tuck their elbows in close to their bodies during their backswings.  

The folks who compare Harimoto to Gatien are pretty clever.  It was super tough to exploit Gatien's elbow/middle.  Likewise for Harimoto.  Their strokes and body movement are different, but they both were very effective close to the table.  Both can hit remarkably effective shots against balls inches from their bodies, which is uncommon even among top pros.

bes

Posted By: V-Griper
Date Posted: 08/20/2018 at 12:11am
@bes-It's that take back with arm close to the body that is one of the main characteristics of that style of FH. 

Also the big drive forehand vs the compact fast attack forehand has been done before and then as now it's about who can leverage their advantages vs the other player more so than some inherent stroke advantage.

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 08/20/2018 at 12:33am
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

Whoever does the narrating says that Ma Long and Fan "keep their elbows close to their bodies".  The Video, however, seems to dispute this claim pretty clearly.  
That would not be the first ERT video where the narrative claim does not comport with the video.

Posted By: timole
Date Posted: 08/20/2018 at 5:14am
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

Whoever does the narrating says that Ma Long and Fan "keep their elbows close to their bodies".  The Video, however, seems to dispute this claim pretty clearly.  The video shows both their right elbows FAR from their bodies on their forward swings - at least on all full or nearly full power swings.  There were a couple "soft warm-up-type" strokes where they did not extend their arms or move the elbow much from the body, but those strokes clearly were not taken in anger and were not intened to do more than return the ball.  I'd go so far as to say that when they contact the ball on their power strokes, their elbows are pretty much AS FAR AS POSSIBLE from their bodies.

The do indeed tuck their elbows in close to their bodies during their backswings.  

The folks who compare Harimoto to Gatien are pretty clever.  It was super tough to exploit Gatien's elbow/middle.  Likewise for Harimoto.  Their strokes and body movement are different, but they both were very effective close to the table.  Both can hit remarkably effective shots against balls inches from their bodies, which is uncommon even among top pros.

bes

ML and FZ clearly keep their right elbow close to their body during the first part of the swing, i.e. before they release their elbow. The swing is long but that doesnt mean that it requires the elbow far from the body

Date Posted: 08/20/2018 at 8:21am
In the ttPoster video above, the most fun is watching, from Gatien's view, Wang's serve.

"From the darkness; into the light."

-------------
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.

Posted By: bes
Date Posted: 08/20/2018 at 3:48pm
Unless the elbow is far from the body when they hit the ball, they would be giving up massive amounts of power.  I've watched them both play a lot, and, save for instances where they get jammed in the middle, neither EVER contacts the ball with their arm anywhere close to their body.  How far the paddle contact point is from their center of rotation is a big deal.  See nerdy sketch and paddle velocity calculation below.  (Note that I failed to clearly label r1 and r2.  r1 = 0.58m and r2 = 0.86m)

Ball speed calculations are impractical, it is certain that faster paddle speed will result in a faster ball.  

I'm not concerned about where the elbow is during the backswing, or even at the start of the forward swing.  But where it is during the ball contact zone is very important.

Also note that the 48% speed loss is based on my arm measurements and on the assumption that the upper arm is straight down for v1 and straight out for v2.  In reality, I suspect that neither is common, but having the arm fairly extended at contact is good for power.  Having the elbow close to the body at contact is a great way to lose power.

bes

Date Posted: 08/20/2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

When Harimoto started playing in pro tournaments his forehand was not strong enough to generate much power on his own relative to the older/bigger players so he "borrows" power from the incoming shot and redirects as Larry pointed out. It's more of a counter hit/drive and is optimized more towards low cycle time rather than spin and speed. There is a clear difference between his current stroke technique and that of the ML and FZD. But I think this reflects a different approach by the coaching and player development systems as a lot of the JPN players have that close to the table block and fast counter-attack style, whereas the CN players tend mix in more big drive loops. 

I also have a question with regard to the "new style"  of play due to the nature of the new ball. 

What happened in the Australian & Bulgarian open finals? 

If HT is the way forward and spinning the ball and using big drive FHs is outdated then why did XX pretty much dominate HT and KM?

Here is one comparison of stroke styles. 

You need to add liang jinkun and pitchford to the list who never had problem with HT

Date Posted: 08/21/2018 at 5:57pm
It seems to me Harimoto's forehand is a combination of the Chinese and European forehand technique. He gets power from huge body rotation even more than the usual Chinese technique and he then uses a bent arm forehand like many Europeans. If he has time it is not a short stroke like many people comment on. I liked the comment that he is strong on elbow shots as this is a key target of the pros. Give him a few years and it will be very interesting to see how he develops this shot.

Date Posted: 08/22/2018 at 11:23am
[Also note that the 48% speed loss is based on my arm measurements and on the assumption that the upper arm is straight down for v1 and straight out for v2.  In reality, I suspect that neither is common, but having the arm fairly extended at contact is good for power.  Having the elbow close to the body at contact is a great way to lose power.

bes]

Bes' submission is making an important contribution here.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net