Print Page | Close Window

Jha Signed to 1st Div Bundesliga

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: This forum is for general discussions about table tennis.
Moderator: JimT
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84877
Printed Date: 07/07/2020 at 9:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jha Signed to 1st Div Bundesliga
Posted By: jfolsen
Subject: Jha Signed to 1st Div Bundesliga
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:13pm
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/January/15/Kanak-Jha-Signed-to-First-Division-Bundesliga-for-Grenzau" rel="nofollow - https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/January/15/Kanak-Jha-Signed-to-First-Division-Bundesliga-for-Grenzau

Go Kanak!

Replies:
Posted By: danseemiller
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:24pm
Just what he needs. Impressive.

-------------
DS

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:36pm
What I find really fascinating about Kanak is a statement made by his father I believe about why he let Kanak play TT. He said something to the effect that what is the point of being American if he can't follow his dreams? Wish more people would think that way.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.

Posted By: FruitLoop
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:58pm
His rise is impressive, from 3, to 2 to 1 in as many years. Now he has to try to establish himself as one of the best players in Europe as his next goal.

Posted By: pipboy76
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:16pm
I'm not even from America yet i'm so happy for Kanak. Been following him since his World Cup debut in 2014 but it was when i saw that popular video documenatry there is about him on Youtube that really made me become a fan of him. He just seemed like a good kid with a great attitude and love for the sport so i couldn't help but want to root for him. Congrats for the graduation again Kanak!

Posted By: opinari
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by pipboy76 pipboy76 wrote:

I'm not even from America yet i'm so happy for Kanak. Been following him since his World Cup debut in 2014 but it was when i saw that popular video documenatry there is about him on Youtube that really made me become a fan of him. He just seemed like a good kid with a great attitude and love for the sport so i couldn't help but want to root for him. Congrats for the graduation again Kanak!

He's like the Christian Pulisic of Table Tennis :)

-------------
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena

Posted By: koshkin
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 1:57pm
That is awesome news for Khanak and he richly deserves it.

Another intersting tidbit there is that Nicholas Tio will also be in Grenzau, although presumably not in the Bundesliga and they are going to have one more US player based there.  Having three US players in the same organization is really going to be good for US table tennis and make it easier for them to be based abroad.

ILya

-------------
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Another intersting tidbit there is that Nicholas Tio will also be in Grenzau, although presumably not in the Bundesliga and they are going to have one more US player based there.  Having three US players in the same organization is really going to be good for US table tennis and make it easier for them to be based abroad.

ILya

I thought Tio was already living at Grenzau the city (very confusing... :) ), but was competing for different club - from May 2018 USATT article:

In a pivotal move to enhance the international competitiveness of US National Team players, USATT High Performance Director Joerg Bitzigeio has arranged for top national team contenders to compete in European leagues next season. Aside from Kanak Jha, who is already living in Grenzau and will move up to represent 1.FSV Mainz 05 in the 2nd Bundesliga (2nd division) next season, Nick Tio and Jennifer (Yue) Wu will also move to Europe to live, train and compete in the league. 

Tio will join Kanak in Grenzau, whilst competing in 3rd Division North for TTC Lampertheim, while Wu will join the prestigious Froschberg Linz in the first Division of the Austrian League. 

I guess he (Nicholas) might be moving as well.

-------------
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX

Posted By: taczkid
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 3:19pm
great to see player from USA going in league matches again legends like Timo Boll !

Posted By: pongfugrasshopper
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 3:58pm
That's awesome for Kanak.  I've always thought he's got a good head on his shoulders.  Can't wait to see how his career progresses.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

ILya

I thought Tio was already living at Grenzau the city (very confusing... :) ), but was competing for different club - from May 2018 USATT article:

In a pivotal move to enhance the international competitiveness of US National Team players, USATT High Performance Director Joerg Bitzigeio has arranged for top national team contenders to compete in European leagues next season. Aside from Kanak Jha, who is already living in Grenzau and will move up to represent 1.FSV Mainz 05 in the 2nd Bundesliga (2nd division) next season, Nick Tio and Jennifer (Yue) Wu will also move to Europe to live, train and compete in the league. 

Tio will join Kanak in Grenzau, whilst competing in 3rd Division North for TTC Lampertheim, while Wu will join the prestigious Froschberg Linz in the first Division of the Austrian League. 

From the article linked above:

Jha in fact is joined by Nicholas Tio in the Grenzau club and will be joined over the summer by another US player. 

-------------
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Posted By: patrickhrdlicka
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:26pm
Clap

-------------
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+

Posted By: joolaUSA.chan
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:39pm
Congrats to Kanak, saw him when he first started. 

-------------
Equipment:
Energon PBO-C flared
Golden Tango PS 2.25mm
Select Rhyzm-P red 2.25mm

Posted By: ericd937
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 5:02pm
What the heck is a bundesliga? 

-------------
Current Setup: Trying to learn H3
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level:
Starting to get the hang of H3

Posted By: FruitLoop
Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

What the heck is a bundesliga? 

Federal (i.e. national) league in Germany. This is the name of the top football league in Germany as well as other sports, including table tennis.

Essentially Jha has been signed for a German top division team in the German league, strongest league in Europe.

Posted By: wilkinru
Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 11:24am
How much are the contracts in this league? I'm guessing he will be getting near the bottom of $ for now.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Posted By: mycuzinvinny
Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 11:54am
Congratulations to Kanak Jha!  Enjoy following his matches and career, happy for his efforts and results.

-------------
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)

Posted By: Purett
Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

ILya

the granzau club is where they train and live 

-------------
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001

Posted By: amateur
Date Posted: 08/17/2019 at 6:09pm
Today was the season premiere in the TTBL:
http://ttbl.de/ttbl-tv/video/ttbl-tsv-bad-koenigshofen-vs-ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau-2" rel="nofollow - http://ttbl.de/ttbl-tv/video/ttbl-tsv-bad-koenigshofen-vs-ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau-2

Grenzau didn't win a game. Kanak Jha lost the second match against Kilian Ort (11, 5, 7).

Date Posted: 08/17/2019 at 8:47pm
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/June/06/Europe-Calls-for-New-Generation-of-US-Table-Tennis-Super-Stars" rel="nofollow - USATT's HPD Joerg Bitzigeio hooking up USA players with European teams for league play  :

Women's League:
- Wu Yue KTS Tarnobrzeg (POL) (1st Division + European Champions League)
-
 Lily Zhang SV DJK Kolbermoor (1st Division)
Amy Wang TTG Bingen/Münster-Sarms. (1st Division)
Rachel Sung TTC 1945 Weinheim (2nd Division)
Joanna Sung TTC 1946 Weinheim (4th Division)
Crystal Wang TSV Schwabhausen (1st Division)
Swathi Giri SV DJK Kolbermoor (3rd Division)
Angie Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)
Emily Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)

Men's League:
Kanak Jha TTC Zugbrücke Grenzau (1st Division)
Kai Zhang TTC GW Bad Hamm (2nd Division)
Nicholas Tio TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Michael Tran SV Union Velbert (3rd Division)
Nikhil Kumar 1. FSV Mainz 05 (2nd Division)
Victor Liu TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Sharon Alguetti TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Adar Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Gal Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Ted Li SV Union Velbert (4th Division)
Kai Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich (6th Division)
Aziz Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich(6th Division)
Alex Wu 1. FSV Mainz 05 (4th Division)
Daniel Tran SV Union Velbert (6th Division)

Posted By: osmar92
Date Posted: 08/17/2019 at 11:32pm
how much do they make playing for dif divisions?

Date Posted: 08/20/2019 at 9:51am
Don't know the answer to that.  Perhaps our German forum members might know?

BTW, Kanak's team is mostly very young:

http://en.ttbl.de/saison/teams/ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau" rel="nofollow - http://en.ttbl.de/saison/teams/ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau

Date Posted: 08/25/2019 at 10:55am
In his second match of the season, Kanak Jha lost to Paul Drinkhall 2:3 (6, -8, -7, 4, -5). He's scheduled to play Benedikt Duda next, but it may not come to that.

Posted By: WangXui
Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 11:46am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/June/06/Europe-Calls-for-New-Generation-of-US-Table-Tennis-Super-Stars" rel="nofollow - USATT's HPD Joerg Bitzigeio hooking up USA players with European teams for league play  :

Women's League:
- Wu Yue KTS Tarnobrzeg (POL) (1st Division + European Champions League)
-
 Lily Zhang SV DJK Kolbermoor (1st Division)
Amy Wang TTG Bingen/Münster-Sarms. (1st Division)
Rachel Sung TTC 1945 Weinheim (2nd Division)
Joanna Sung TTC 1946 Weinheim (4th Division)
Crystal Wang TSV Schwabhausen (1st Division)
Swathi Giri SV DJK Kolbermoor (3rd Division)
Angie Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)
Emily Tan TSG Kaiserslautern (4th Division)

Men's League:
Kanak Jha TTC Zugbrücke Grenzau (1st Division)
Kai Zhang TTC GW Bad Hamm (2nd Division)
Nicholas Tio TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Michael Tran SV Union Velbert (3rd Division)
Nikhil Kumar 1. FSV Mainz 05 (2nd Division)
Victor Liu TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Sharon Alguetti TSG Kaiserslautern (3rd Division)
Adar Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Gal Alguetti TTC Ruhrstadt Herne (3rd Division)
Ted Li SV Union Velbert (4th Division)
Kai Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich (6th Division)
Aziz Zarehbin Spvgg.06/95 Duisburg-Meiderich(6th Division)
Alex Wu 1. FSV Mainz 05 (4th Division)
Daniel Tran SV Union Velbert (6th Division)

WTF ?  Why is everyone complaining about Joerg ? He may not be perfect or whatever but when is the last time this many Americans got to play in the famous German Leagues . They will cherish this experience for the rest of their lives

Posted By: mentortt
Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 11:49am
I am curious who paid their money to play in Europe League? Is it free for those players? Did their parents or USATT pay? Funding is the most important question. A lot of talent youth in USA needs financial support.

Posted By: WangXui
Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

I am curious who paid their money to play in Europe League? Is it free for those players? Did their parents pay?

I assume at least some basic expenses will be covered even at lower levels but what if it is not  ? 
Should anyone in their right minds pass up playing in the famed Bundesliga unless I am missing something here  ?
It is like a white guy saying : Umm I will pass up playing in the NBA (even if one year on the bench)......I can't wait one year to go to community college and major in English 

Posted By: mentortt
Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 12:07pm
I heard in some other cases, USATT just gave invitation. Eventually parents need to pay huge money to support their kids. Hope what benefit or what support for national players is clear to public. If there is support and player don't want to go, can they go to Japan or China to train in league? 

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

I heard in some other cases, USATT just gave invitation. Eventually parents need to pay huge money to support their kids. Hope what benefit or what support for national players is clear to public. If there is support and player don't want to go, can they go to Japan or China to train in league? 

Players I know well who went that route have told me that they felt that they got better training in Europe (Germany and Sweden) than in China because the coaches actually spent more time with them.  An advantage of China is (or used to be) that living expenses are a lot lower but once you are there, you may well be ignored.  This information is several years old, though.  I don't know anyone who has gone to China to train more recently.  Maybe some places there are better now, although I would tend to doubt it.  I actually haven't heard of Americans going to Japan to train. 

At the end of the day, what Jha is doing will yield largest TT benefits because he is forced to compete every week for real money against players mostly better than he is.  He will have to get better.  And he will.  But maybe not many US prospects are as good as he is or as motivated to be great in TT (as opposed to using TT excellence as a venue for entry to top universities, which will set them up for life -- a strategy I find perfectly reasonable).

Posted By: Lightspin
Date Posted: 08/28/2019 at 1:51am
A player has to be really careful where they go to train overseas.  When I went to China, I was forced to train with people who basically had never played before and it was immensely depressing.  I was paying money to basically teach them how to play.  Another player I know was only around 2400 and beat everyone at his training facility and thought his trip was a waste of time.  However if you are willing to spend a lot of money with a high profile province team, you will play with good players.  It will be very expensive though.

Germany and Sweden are no better unfortunately.  Things are very hit or miss.  Players have to be extremely careful where they go to train. Some places aren't even safe for the players with extremely shady things going on.  Safesport would have these places shut down if they were in the USA. 

Posted By: Noppen-Jedi
Date Posted: 08/28/2019 at 6:23am
Hi guys, 

First I want to apologise for mistakes in this post, I'm not a native speaker so it might get a little tough to read for you. 

I am from Germany and have played for SV Union Velbert for some years and can share some information with you.

In general players are paid to join a club and play in the league. The amount of money depends on your skill at the table and how good you sell yourself. Some get paid more of they win more games Wink

In the 1. Bundesliga there are mostly professional athletes, some of them have a second job in the coaching staff or at the club. You can make a living from it, but you need supporters.you won't get rich by playing table tennis. 
If you are Top 5 of your league like Timo Bill or Matthias Falck you will make a decent living from your payment. 

From second Bundesliga to thrid bundesliga there are some players who can live just from playing, but most of players need a part time Job or some other stuff to earn money. 

News about the payment of players aren't available and won't be published - that's a German thing. You don't take alot about money LOL

But of course the club's will find a way to get you a nice place to sleep, cover your Meals and Equipment. If you have to fly in for games, this will  normally be paid by the club.

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them as good as I can. 

-------------
>|Nebula Custom Wood Kjiell Johansson "Korbel" Replica / OSP Special Made|<
>|Bluefire M2 + Vega|<

Posted By: DonnOlsen
Date Posted: 08/28/2019 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

A player has to be really careful where they go to train overseas.  When I went to China, I was forced to train with people who basically had never played before and it was immensely depressing.  I was paying money to basically teach them how to play.  Another player I know was only around 2400 and beat everyone at his training facility and thought his trip was a waste of time.  However if you are willing to spend a lot of money with a high profile province team, you will play with good players.  It will be very expensive though.

Germany and Sweden are no better unfortunately.  Things are very hit or miss.  Players have to be extremely careful where they go to train. Some places aren't even safe for the players with extremely shady things going on.  Safesport would have these places shut down if they were in the USA. 

Having coached a considerable amount of time internationally and having been involved in various table tennis venues around the world (both training and competitive), coupled with the many discussions with players and coaches on this matter, I strongly support your excellent summary of the overseas training environments as you so eloquently expressed it.

For almost all USA players seeking the attainment of national-level (and beyond) playing ability, my view today is that the best and most trustworthy environments for such rigorous development are in the full-time centers in the U.S., with the acknowledgement that the quality within these centers varies by significant degrees, both in coaching and culture, for the purpose at hand.  In the accepted context of these centers functioning as profit-requiring enterprises, the ingredients are nevertheless present to create player capabilities within the junior ranks equivalent to those from the European systems.  At some point in this developmental track, the U.S. competition dimension becomes inferior, thus requiring, for those of such interest, to seek other environments far advanced in match opportunities.  With the systems of China, Japan, and Korea functioning as closed systems in the practical sense of the term, it is Europe that is the golden land for U.S. juniors of high aspiration.  Essentially, Kanak has demonstrated the best model to optimize the prospects for the most ambitious of the U.S. juniors.

Thank you again for your insights.

-------------
"Speed kills but technical speed absolutely annihilates defenders." Mia Hamm

Date Posted: 09/15/2019 at 6:24pm
Round 3:
Ochsenhausen beat Grenzau 3-1.

In the first match, Kanak Jha lost to Hugo Calderano (10, 9, 9).

Video:
http://ttbl.de/ttbl-tv/video/re-live-ttbl-ttf-liebherr-ochsenhausen-vs-ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau-2" rel="nofollow - http://ttbl.de/ttbl-tv/video/re-live-ttbl-ttf-liebherr-ochsenhausen-vs-ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau-2

Posted By: pingpungpeng
Date Posted: 09/15/2019 at 6:50pm

Can you be more specific about these extremely shady things?
It's hard for me to imagine what you are talking about.

Date Posted: 09/16/2019 at 12:05am
I think when I said "Safesport would have these places shut down if they were in the USA" is enough detail to figure out what I am talking about. 

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 09/16/2019 at 12:40am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Round 3:
Ochsenhausen beat Grenzau 3-1.

In the first match, Kanak Jha lost to Hugo Calderano (10, 9, 9).

Video:
http://ttbl.de/ttbl-tv/video/re-live-ttbl-ttf-liebherr-ochsenhausen-vs-ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau-2" rel="nofollow - http://ttbl.de/ttbl-tv/video/re-live-ttbl-ttf-liebherr-ochsenhausen-vs-ttc-zugbruecke-grenzau-2
There is so much of today's Kanak in that score, breathing in the best necks and ready to bite for good. The 0-3 loss carries a lot of hope in the details.

-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: pingpungpeng
Date Posted: 09/16/2019 at 1:24am

I think when I said "Safesport would have these places shut down if they were in the USA" is enough detail to figure out what I am talking about. 

ok thanks for the info.

Date Posted: 09/21/2019 at 1:09pm
Grenzau lost again (2-3 against Düsseldorf), but Kanak got his first win in the first division:

E3-3Kanak JHAAnton KÄLLBERG6:114:1111:711:811:73:2

Posted By: Tiggs_1
Date Posted: 09/22/2019 at 2:37pm
He was thoroughly outplayed in first two games, but he hung in there tightened up some things and won.

Date Posted: 09/22/2019 at 2:53pm
Another match today - round of 16 of the German Cup. Grenzau lost 2-3 against Saarbrücken and were eliminated.

E1-2Kanak JHATomas POLANSKY11:1311:611:97:1111:53:21:0
E2-1Mihai BOBOCICAPatrick FRANZISKA11:79:113:1111:711:53:21:0
E3-3Anders LINDDarko JORGIC6:118:117:11-:--:-0:30:1
E1-1Kanak JHAPatrick FRANZISKA9:113:1111:69:11-:-1:30:1
D-DLIND / BOBOCICAJORGIC / POLANSKY12:107:115:114:11-:-1:30:1

Posted By: ZingyDNA
Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 1:54pm
Any recorded videos of him playing?

Date Posted: 09/24/2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Any recorded videos of him playing?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TischtennisBL/search?query=kanak" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/user/TischtennisBL/search?query=kanak

Date Posted: 09/29/2019 at 8:35am
Today Amy Wang is making her debut in the German first division for TTG Bingen (where she replaces Lily Zhang). She'll face Sarah de Nutte and Britta Eerland.

Date Posted: 09/29/2019 at 1:07pm
Pretty good debut for Amy Wang - after a 2-3 loss to de Nutte (world #72) she beats Eerland (world #47) 3-1. Her team loses 4-6 though.

Kolbermoor (with Lily Zhang) win 6-2 and are at the top of the standings.

Kanak Jha was scheduled to play Daniel Habesohn but it didn't come to that as Grenzau lost 0-3. 

So that's 3 American players now in the top German league. Also, Crystal Wang is registered with Schwabhausen (Sabine Winter's team) but hasn't played yet.

Date Posted: 12/08/2019 at 1:59pm
The Grenzau team lost again today (now 0-13) but at least Kanak Jha won his match against Alberto Mino, 12-10 in the decider. He now has 2 wins and 8 losses. Hopefully he can improve his record a bit more so that another club will sign him and he can continue in the first division.

Date Posted: 12/08/2019 at 4:25pm

The Grenzau team lost again today (now 0-13) but at least Kanak Jha won his match against Alberto Mino, 12-10 in the decider. He now has 2 wins and 8 losses. Hopefully he can improve his record a bit more so that another club will sign him and he can continue in the first division.

Do they have relegation in the first division?

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245

Date Posted: 12/08/2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Do they have relegation in the first division?

Yes, but it depends on the situation - if there aren't enough clubs interested in playing in the first division (as has happened quite a bit in recent years, for financial reasons mostly), then even the last-place team can stay in the league. But this season it seems that 1 or 2 teams might indeed get relegated.

Date Posted: 12/16/2019 at 4:26am
Round 14:

Grenzau vs Ochsenhausen

E1-2Kanak JHAJakub DYJAS5:1111:96:1111:913:113:21:0
E2-1Anders LINDSimon GAUZY8:1111:98:1111:89:112:30:1
E3-3Mihai BOBOCICAStefan FEGERL11:59:118:1111:910:122:30:1
E1-1Kanak JHASimon GAUZY9:119:112:11-:--:-0:30:1

Date Posted: 12/22/2019 at 6:36pm
Looks like Jha beat Assar for one more win.  Lost both his matches the next team match though.

-------------
Carbonado 245

Date Posted: 12/22/2019 at 7:10pm

Looks like Jha beat Assar for one more win.  Lost both his matches the next team match though.

Today he had 2 match points against Steffen Mengel but couldn't convert. 4-12 overall now; his team still winless (after 16 rounds out of 22).

Posted By: Charlie Brown
Date Posted: 12/27/2019 at 1:59pm

Today he had 2 match points against Steffen Mengel but couldn't convert. 4-12 overall now; his team still winless (after 16 rounds out of 22).

-------------
*sigh*

Posted By: Ray
Date Posted: 01/10/2020 at 4:22pm
Jha scored 1-1 today: 3:2 against Polansky, 0:3 against Shang Kun.

-------------
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
https://fb.me/spinnier" rel="nofollow - fb.me/spinnier

Posted By: chongqinghotpot
Date Posted: 01/10/2020 at 4:51pm
Jha’s FH still has no power. Unbelievable. 

-------------
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Date Posted: 01/10/2020 at 4:59pm

Kanak Jha vs Steffen Mengel video just above:

It really seems both players had heavily boosted rubbers, maybe too much.

-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 01/11/2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Jha scored 1-1 today: 3:2 against Polansky, 0:3 against Shang Kun.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 01/11/2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

He has power of both sides but he prefers to play a "controlled - ball" game, his strokes are usually no more than 70% of his total power at any given time.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 01/11/2020 at 9:59pm
A developing player should take risk over safety and power over control in general. 

-------------
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Date Posted: 01/11/2020 at 10:38pm

A developing player should take risk over safety and power over control in general. 

Did not realize 1st Div Bundesliga signed "developing players"...i thought they only had "professional players" who need to have good performance (win:loss ratio) to remain on the team(s).

This means every club player who swings out at every ball will now be a "pro" yay Clap

-------------
*sigh*

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

He has power of both sides but he prefers to play a "controlled - ball" game, his strokes are usually no more than 70% of his total power at any given time.
I'm with you.  I've always thought that it was a particular part of his style to emphasize control over constant power shots.  If you have good footwork and technique, it can be very effective.  In the last video Calderon was lucky to escape, and Calderon plays a lot of power.

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 10:56am
Today Jha beat Pucar 3-0 (1, 7, 11). And Grenzau finally got their first win! 3-0 against Fulda.

Kanak now has 6 wins and 13 losses, not too bad for his first season.

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 11:04am
Kanak is doing USATT proud like Jim Butler before, he is proving he can compete in that arena...but in a new era. They will renew his contract for another season - they know this is a transition period for both parties, it will be in the new contract they will expect more of him Wink

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 1:25pm
Jha is still developing no matter how good he already is. If you want him to get to the next level, which I certainly hope he can, he really has to improve the power in his FH. Whenever I see He gets a good opportunity but can’t finish the point, I feel bad for him. His FH swings are getting shorter and shorter, which is more common in female players and good for speed and consistency but not goof for generating power.  Just my 2 cents.

-------------
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 5:25pm

Kanak is doing USATT proud like Jim Butler before, he is proving he can compete in that arena...but in a new era.

I don't think Jim Butler ever played in the German league. Eric Boggan did, quite successfully.

Meanwhile Lily Zhang is doing well in her second season, as the #2 player for Kolbermoor. She now has 9 wins and 4 losses. Her team will finish second or third.

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 5:36pm

Kanak is doing USATT proud like Jim Butler before, he is proving he can compete in that arena...but in a new era.

I don't think Jim Butler ever played in the German league. Eric Boggan did, quite successfully.

Meanwhile Lily Zhang is doing well in her second season, as the #2 player for Kolbermoor. She now has 9 wins and 4 losses. Her team will finish second or third.
I think Jimmy played in the Swedish leagues, which in those days were a lot strong than they are now.

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 5:39pm

Today Jha beat Pucar 3-0 (1, 7, 11). And Grenzau finally got their first win! 3-0 against Fulda.

Do we know if Jha will match up with Timo at some point this season?

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 5:55pm

Jha is still developing no matter how good he already is. If you want him to get to the next level, which I certainly hope he can, he really has to improve the power in his FH. Whenever I see He gets a good opportunity but can’t finish the point, I feel bad for him. His FH swings are getting shorter and shorter, which is more common in female players and good for speed and consistency but not goof for generating power.  Just my 2 cents.
I see what is being conveyed here and I am going along, now the question is can he use more wood and less brushing to gain speed and deepness? as said in the quoted text, slow spinny loops that land in the middle of the table are not pressuring enough at his level. A contact closer to the bounce is also possible, he has a lot of room there and a little can do a lot. 
He is a very gentle person and wants to build the point patiently, credits to him. He is in the wake of Timo Boll in that sense but Timo is way more aggressive than Kanak who I believe will adjust as confidence grows; after all, he is a Bundesliga freshman and he is still adjusting, the inter season time will be huge to recoup and be ready. 
One possibility is that the coaches of his team want him to play a certain style and like in American football, he has no say and must follow instructions.
Whatever happens does not change a fact: he made it to the big leagues and he is living his dream.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Do we know if Jha will match up with Timo at some point this season?

No chance - Grenzau already played Dusseldorf twice, both times without Timo (he typically sits out the easier/less important team matches). Maybe they'll meet in Tokyo in the bronze medal match (jk).

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 7:14pm

Kanak is doing USATT proud like Jim Butler before, he is proving he can compete in that arena...but in a new era. They will renew his contract for another season - they know this is a transition period for both parties, it will be in the new contract they will expect more of him Wink

i need to post in detail or in more simpler sentences, assumptions run wild in here Confused

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

One possibility is that the coaches of his team want him to play a certain style and like in American football, he has no say and must follow instructions.

His team coaches surely give him lots of guidance and advice but they wouldn't force him to play a certain style. The TTBL is neither the CNT nor the NFL.

I've always seen Jha as a Gauzy-like player who doesn't rely so much on power. 

Date Posted: 01/12/2020 at 9:22pm
Hi,

Kanak has a spirit of play and accompanying skill that excels in results at the American standard.  At the end of his career, he will far surpass exceedingly all results from American-developed players in American competitions on American soil.  At such a young age, he has already attained legendary performance outcomes.  

There are other and higher standards than the American standard.

Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 7:58am
While Kanak may not get as high as some more powerful players, he is already a better player than many more powerful players and has good wins over some better players with far more power. In fact, Pucar is probably the epitome of young power at the European level.

Unfortunately, some of us will remain forever obsessed with what Kanak cannot do rather than having a healthy appreciation for what he does extremely well with his exquisite ball control and unwavering resolve.  My hope (and expectation) is that as Kanak grows and improves, he will expand our concept of table tennis because of his undeniable results.  He may ultimately sway some of the naysayers who think that there is only one template for a world class player, but maybe not.  Kanak has time to add more strength to his game over the next 10 years as he experiments with his body and lifestyle - it may never be his first instinct to use power, but he has time to add something to it.  But what he does well now has made him competitive against many players including some in the top 10.  That is enough to laud, but some are still focused on what he lacks, not what he is achieving.

-------------
Carbonado 245

Posted By: ZingyDNA
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 11:23am
LOL I don't think chongqinghotpot meant junior, cadet or noob with the word "developing". In a sense Timo Boll and Ma Long are also developing players, just in different areas compared to junior players..

Did not realize 1st Div Bundesliga signed "developing players"...i thought they only had "professional players" who need to have good performance (win:loss ratio) to remain on the team(s).

This means every club player who swings out at every ball will now be a "pro" yay Clap

Date Posted: 01/14/2020 at 12:19am

While Kanak may not get as high as some more powerful players, he is already a better player than many more powerful players and has good wins over some better players with far more power. In fact, Pucar is probably the epitome of young power at the European level.

Unfortunately, some of us will remain forever obsessed with what Kanak cannot do rather than having a healthy appreciation for what he does extremely well with his exquisite ball control and unwavering resolve.  My hope (and expectation) is that as Kanak grows and improves, he will expand our concept of table tennis because of his undeniable results.  He may ultimately sway some of the naysayers who think that there is only one template for a world class player, but maybe not.  Kanak has time to add more strength to his game over the next 10 years as he experiments with his body and lifestyle - it may never be his first instinct to use power, but he has time to add something to it.  But what he does well now has made him competitive against many players including some in the top 10.  That is enough to laud, but some are still focused on what he lacks, not what he is achieving.

Kanak has a very complete game at the moment and his ability to finish the point and hit big shots is clearly getting better if you pay attention.

His competition has gotten better, so it does not always look like he is adding power to his game, but he absolutely is in a gradual and intelligent manner.

He is also getting much better in playing against power which is equally as important.  Give him a couple more years in the Bundesliga and he will make another qualitative jump upward.

ILya

-------------
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Date Posted: 01/14/2020 at 12:02pm

Kanak has a very complete game at the moment and his ability to finish the point and hit big shots is clearly getting better if you pay attention.

His competition has gotten better, so it does not always look like he is adding power to his game, but he absolutely is in a gradual and intelligent manner.

He is also getting much better in playing against power which is equally as important.  Give him a couple more years in the Bundesliga and he will make another qualitative jump upward.

ILya

Everything is relative.  I don't think a player in the top 100 exists without a complete game. 

Kanak is obviously hitting the ball harder than he did way 2 years ago. My point is that ultimately we can spend forever talking about this or that about his game while ignoring the results that show the misguided focus of such complaints. 

Kanak had already  beaten in this year players like Karlsson, Kallberg, Pucar, Assar, Skachkov and more I likely haven't mentioned.  Many players at his age at the top of Europe can't beat those players. But all we continue to hear is how Kanak is not on the level of players he has for the most part routinely outperformed like Pletea.

-------------
Carbonado 245

Posted By: Ttunderthesun21
Date Posted: 01/14/2020 at 12:29pm

ILya

Everything is relative.  I don't think a player in the top 100 exists without a complete game. 

Kanak is obviously hitting the ball harder than he did way 2 years ago. My point is that ultimately we can spend forever talking about this or that about his game while ignoring the results that show the misguided focus of such complaints. 

Kanak had already  beaten in this year players like Karlsson, Kallberg, Pucar, Assar, Skachkov and more I likely haven't mentioned.  Many players at his age at the top of Europe can't beat those players. But all we continue to hear is how Kanak is not on the level of players he has for the most part routinely outperformed like Pletea.

On that note, I feel this might be a breakout year for him.  His ranking is high thus getting into more main draw events.  A couple good showings early in the year, and I think he can improve his confidence against top players going forward.  Especially Hugo lol, every main draw he ends up playing him.  

Posted By: wilkinru
Date Posted: 01/14/2020 at 2:02pm
We all have a Hugo we have to go through. Makes us better.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Date Posted: 01/18/2020 at 4:41am

-------------

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/spinnier_com

Posted By: Odie
Date Posted: 01/19/2020 at 12:25pm
That was kind of an ass-kicking by Kanak. Pucar's serves always look filthy to me (not illegal, just fizzing with spin) but Kanak handled them with ease.

Date Posted: 02/16/2020 at 4:05pm
Second win for Grenzau today, 3-2 against Neu-Ulm, thanks to 2 wins by Kanak Jha: 3-0 against Viktor Brodd, and 3-1 against Gustavo Tsuboi (to whom he had lost just a week ago at the Pan Am Cup).

Date Posted: 02/16/2020 at 4:23pm

Second win for Grenzau today, 3-2 against Neu-Ulm, thanks to 2 wins by Kanak Jha: 3-0 against Viktor Brodd, and 3-1 against Gustavo Tsuboi (to whom he had lost just a week ago at the Pan Am Cup).
Beating Tsuboi is a great achievement. I'm going to have to watch that one. Awesome!

Date Posted: 02/16/2020 at 5:01pm

Beating Tsuboi is a great achievement. I'm going to have to watch that one. Awesome!

He had beaten Tsuboi almost everytime recently until he laid an egg in Puerto Rico.

-------------
Carbonado 245

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 02/17/2020 at 2:42am
KJ FIGHTING !!!

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 02/24/2020 at 9:25am
Third win in a row for Grenzau: 3-0 against last-place team Julich.

Kanak Jha beat Denis Klein 3-0 and improved his record to 9-13.

Date Posted: 03/09/2020 at 2:07pm
Round 21: Grenzau vs Grunwettersbach 2-3
(Schwickert is not part of the regular team)

E1-2Kanak JHADang QIU13:116:1111:99:116:112:30:1
E2-1Vincent SCHWICKERTXi WANG1:112:115:11-:--:-0:30:1
E3-3Anders LINDTobias RASMUSSEN12:1011:411:5-:--:-3:01:0
E1-1Kanak JHAXi WANG6:1111:49:1111:613:113:21:0
D-DSCHWICKERT / LINDQIU / RASMUSSEN4:119:114:11-:--:-0:30:1

Date Posted: 03/09/2020 at 2:18pm
Now we know he isn't a slouch vs 2700 level defense.

-------------
Carbonado 245

Date Posted: 03/11/2020 at 9:53pm
I think Wang Xi is a bit better than 2700.  He is not as good as he used to be a few years ago, but he is still likely one of the best choppers in the world.

ILya

-------------
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Date Posted: 03/12/2020 at 8:51am

I think Wang Xi is a bit better than 2700.  He is not as good as he used to be a few years ago, but he is still likely one of the best choppers in the world.

ILya

I'm just being conservative.  Wang Xi also had a not-so-good NA Teams in 2019 hence the low estimate.

-------------
Carbonado 245

Posted By: idk
Date Posted: 03/12/2020 at 9:09am

ILya

I'm just being conservative.  Wang Xi also had a not-so-good NA Teams in 2019 hence the low estimate.

The international players who come to that tournament often treat it as a vacation and are playing hungover but I’m not sure if that was the case for Wang xi. 

-------------
W7 baby

Date Posted: 03/15/2020 at 9:40pm
Is the Bundesliga still playing?  I saw matches from a week ago and it seems to me that they don't usually have big crowds on hand.  But I expect they're probably suspended now.

Posted By: Matt Pimple
Date Posted: 03/15/2020 at 10:05pm

Is the Bundesliga still playing?  I saw matches from a week ago and it seems to me that they don't usually have big crowds on hand.  But I expect they're probably suspended now.
All TT league play including the Bundesliga has been suspended I believe as of Friday.

-------------
Stiga ALL 2000 '76; DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer ABS2 2.3

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55835&title=feed-back-for-matt-pimple" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 03/16/2020 at 12:33am
yup...

ETTU announcement

From Monday 16th March 2020 European Table Tennis Union shall provisionally suspend all international events including the European Olympic Singles Qualification, European Championships Stage 1 C groups, Club Competition (Champions League and Europe Cup) matches and ETTU development activities that had been due to start between the above date and Thursday 30th April 2020.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 03/18/2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

All TT league play including the Bundesliga has been suspended I believe as of Friday.

Round 22 (the final round) was canceled (not just suspended). It would not have made a significant difference in the final standings. The play-offs between the top 4 teams may still happen later this spring.

Kanak's first TTBL season is thus over, finishing with a 10-14 record. It looks like he may not stay with Grenzau and may have "better" options, but there hasn't been any public announcement.

Date Posted: 03/23/2020 at 4:36am
There are rumors that Kanak might move to Ochsenhausen to replace Dyjas and play alongside Calderano and Gauzy.

But all decisions and announcements are probably on hold because of the current crisis, and its economic impact on club sponsors.

Edit:
Calderano has a European (Portuguese) passport, which would allow him to play indeed alongside Jha - TTBL regulations limit teams to 1 non-European player for each contest.

Date Posted: 03/23/2020 at 10:28am

There are rumors that Kanak might move to Ochsenhausen to replace Dyjas and play alongside Calderano and Gauzy.

But all decisions and announcements are probably on hold because of the current crisis, and its economic impact on club sponsors.

Edit:
Calderano has a European (Portuguese) passport, which would allow him to play indeed alongside Jha - TTBL regulations limit teams to 1 non-European player for each contest.
If they want to compete seriously though you would think they would use that spot on someone stronger than Kanak.  Unless they really believe in his potential, they could get some former CNT player and raise the overall level of the squad in the short term to Champions Cup contender.

-------------
Carbonado 245

Date Posted: 03/23/2020 at 12:01pm

Edit:
If they want to compete seriously though you would think they would use that spot on someone stronger than Kanak.  Unless they really believe in his potential, they could get some former CNT player and raise the overall level of the squad in the short term to Champions Cup contender.

Sure, but that could be a combination of finances (Kanak is cheaper...) and branding - if I'm not mistaken, Ochsenhausen has never had older players from Asia and is betting on youth and rising stars. The team is one thing, but they also have their training center, which attracts many young players from Europe:
http://www.masters-college.com/en/about-us/" rel="nofollow - http://www.masters-college.com/en/about-us/

Date Posted: 03/23/2020 at 6:58pm
Kanak has had some flashes of brilliance lately which indicates he might be on the verge of a breakthrough.  He is also still young so maybe the club can pick him up for slightly less money and make a huge return on investment. 

One thing I would worry about is that he is improving in his current environment.  If he changes locations, even if he trains with better players, it might effect the way he improves.  Finding the right coach and right practice partners is not easy. 

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 03/23/2020 at 7:58pm

...if I'm not mistaken, Ochsenhausen has never had older players from Asia and is betting on youth and rising stars.

Ryu Seung Min went there in 2012 for a 2 year contract if anyone remembers... and Ryu wasn't exactly a spring chicken at that time.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/content.php?575-Ryu-Seung-Min-moves-to-Germany-to-represent-Ochsenhausen" rel="nofollow - https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/content.php?575-Ryu-Seung-Min-moves-to-Germany-to-represent-Ochsenhausen !!

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 03/24/2020 at 3:20am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

...if I'm not mistaken, Ochsenhausen has never had older players from Asia and is betting on youth and rising stars.

Ryu Seung Min went there in 2012 for a 2 year contract if anyone remembers... and Ryu wasn't exactly a spring chicken at that time.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/content.php?575-Ryu-Seung-Min-moves-to-Germany-to-represent-Ochsenhausen" rel="nofollow - https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/content.php?575-Ryu-Seung-Min-moves-to-Germany-to-represent-Ochsenhausen !!

You're right, thanks! Ryu stayed for 2 seasons and then returned to South Korea to become the national coach.

Date Posted: 04/02/2020 at 4:44pm
Grenzau has confirmed that Kanak Jha is leaving the team. The Ochsenhausen rumor seems to be growing stronger.

In the meantime the German association has decided to terminate the season in all its leagues (i.e. everything except the TTBL, which is autonomous). That concerns a bunch of US players, male and female. In the women's Bundesliga, Lily Zhang's team finishes 3rd in the standings, Amy Wang's 4th, and Crystal Wang's 5th. Individual records:
Lily Zhang 11-5 (also 8-2 in doubles with Kristin Lang)
Amy Wang 1-4
Crystal Wang 3-7 (3-1 in doubles)

Date Posted: 04/02/2020 at 5:40pm

Grenzau has confirmed that Kanak Jha is leaving the team. The Ochsenhausen rumor seems to be growing stronger.

In the meantime the German association has decided to terminate the season in all its leagues (i.e. everything except the TTBL, which is autonomous). That concerns a bunch of US players, male and female. In the women's Bundesliga, Lily Zhang's team finishes 3rd in the standings, Amy Wang's 4th, and Crystal Wang's 5th. Individual records:
Lily Zhang 11-5 (also 8-2 in doubles with Kristin Lang)
Amy Wang 1-4
Crystal Wang 3-7 (3-1 in doubles)

Thank you for the update.  In Rajul's interview on the USATT website, he mentioned Lily hit town a couple weeks ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2020 at 1:08pm
Kanak Jha is a new player of TTF Liebherr Ochenhausen:

http://www.ttf-liebherr-ochsenhausen.de/article/ttf_verpflichten_us-boy_kanak_jha_" rel="nofollow - http://www.ttf-liebherr-ochsenhausen.de/article/ttf_verpflichten_us-boy_kanak_jha_

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net