Print Page | Close Window

Your preferred method of whomping weasels!?!?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: This forum is for general discussions about table tennis.
Moderator: JimT
Assistant Moderators: mmerkel

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85171
Printed Date: 08/26/2019 at 1:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your preferred method of whomping weasels!?!?
Posted By: obesechopper
Subject: Your preferred method of whomping weasels!?!?
Date Posted: 02/08/2019 at 2:11pm
Thought it might be entertaining to see exactly how it is most players view their game, and what they get the most satisfaction from by winning. 

For instance, since most players are attack-minded... I would imagine they get the best delights from smashing or power looping a ball past their opponents! Anything offensively oriented, where their shot is the clear reason why the point was won. It doesn't leave any ambiguous reasons or excuses on the table. You smashed it -- they couldn't even touch it!

But then, if you're defensive like I am... I receive the utmost happiness from having the opponent defeat themselves. Chopping, pushing, or fishing and lobbing the ball back until they "mess up" and look down at their racket, naming off a few excuses for why it was their own fault -- keep in mind, that defenders are NEVER given credit for winning a point. The attacker always made some little error in judgement, or mishit the ball due to some almost visible floating dust particles, maybe the floor was a bit slippery also (could have had a heavy dinner, perhaps). I repeat, the defender NEVER has anything to do with the attacker missing the ball. It is, without a doubt, 100% caused by the attacker's own error which he would have made regardless of what the defender returned to them. The defender is nothing more than an unskilled idiot who can't do anything other than return the ball onto the table, like a robot set on EASY mode. I keep a long list of these excuses, that I then read to myself before going to bed for a good chuckle and ensuring a night of peaceful slumber. Closing my eyes with a wide smirk across my face, whispering... "Bad lighting on my side." 

A close second of mine is blocking back a huge loop or smash from the other player, watching it bounce by them as they pose on the sidelines. Though again, it was not the blocker's skill that won the point. It was merely that the attacker forgot to return to a good position -- they clearly would have returned the block had they done so. Surely, it won't happen again because the attacker will undoubtedly fix the footwork mistake from then on out. 

So, what way of winning do you guys get the most satisfaction from in the game?

Replies:
Posted By: serr
Date Posted: 02/08/2019 at 2:37pm
From misread serve :)

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 02/08/2019 at 3:13pm
I love using an unexpected short push against those long distance choppers and watching them dive headfirst for a ball that bounces twice on their side of the table.  If they whack their heads on the crossbar between the legs it is a wonderful bonus. 

Against attacking players my favorite is watching a fast, long serve (one for which I was totally unprepared) glide harmlessly just off the end of the table.  This is the one strong point in my return game.  I am especially giddy if it happens at duece.

Mark -  Not really a bad person.  I just play one on the internet.

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 02/08/2019 at 3:20pm
well, at first I was addicted to the whole hitting the ball past the opponent thing. I thought most PPL get addicted to TT for that one reason.

and I still get a rush when I hit a really good shot (with placement and speed). If I hit 2 or three good ones during a practice session I'm happy, and I don't even care if I won or lost the game too! Lately it's more about third ball attack though.

Twisting the opponent into a pretzel with my serves is second on my list of preferred method of torture.

FdT

Posted By: jfolsen
Date Posted: 02/08/2019 at 3:50pm
Push, block, watch them miss. It's less energy wasted that way. Occasionally hit the ball in a completely unexpected direction. Blocking for a winner when they over-commit does have a certain satisfaction.

Posted By: acpoulos
Date Posted: 02/08/2019 at 4:58pm
I get the biggest kick out of making mmy opponent look like a beginner trying to return my serves. And I'm talking 2000+ - hardly rookies. Serving is the 1 skill I still have at my age! And I was doing my behind the back serve long before Ma Long was even born! How did he get it??

-------------
Tony

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 02/08/2019 at 8:39pm
At 74 I really enjoy getting a ball back with good placement when my opponent thinks I'm to old to get to his/her wide placement shot.  I've had players turn to their coach and cho while the ball comes back and hits the table.  It's especially fun when the coach tells them they lost the point while their back was turned to the table.

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 02/09/2019 at 1:23pm
For me, with all these posts about a guy with LP being able to easily return any serve... one of the best joys of table tennis to me is to serve underspin to a player's LP... and watch the LP player fail to get the ball to even the net.

Reality is that even with friction LP, one must still be able to read teh spin. The thing is that with friction LP, espcially sponged LP, is that it is easier to handle spin and place the ball.

So a better reality is that players like mts can cause some real trouble to over-confident players using his LP... and that has LULZ written all over it.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net