Print Page | Close Window

The secret U.S. Open

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: This forum is for general discussions about table tennis.
Moderator: JimT
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86505
Printed Date: 04/06/2020 at 12:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The secret U.S. Open
Posted By: mts388
Subject: The secret U.S. Open
Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 5:18pm
I don't understand why the USATT keeps the schedule of the Open a secret.  We're 4 months from the tournament and we don't have the dates or the schedule.  They should announce their events at least a year in advance.  How can you market an event properly while keeping it a secret?  You would think the USATT would have at least one person who understood marketing.

Are other countries like this?

Replies:
Posted By: mentortt
Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 5:34pm
I heard rumor says this year US open will be Houston since it needs to more experience with 2021 World Championship.

Posted By: ttssbba
Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 5:53pm
2019 US Open will be held in Fort Worth, TX in mid December

Posted By: Vince64
Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 5:54pm
Other than its being held in Ft. Worth, TX. I was told to expect less events than what is done at Nationals.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline

Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Other than its being held in Ft. Worth, TX. I was told to expect less events than what is done at Nationals.

It makes sense.  Since it's in Fort Worth, less players will be going.  I just went to the USATT website and there is no Fort Worth club listed.  

Posted By: wilkinru
Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 7:48pm
I'm sort of thinking they will probably do the event in TX but are keeping their options open? Is that why nothing has been announced?

Pretty odd and shitty tho.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

I'm sort of thinking they will probably do the event in TX but are keeping their options open? Is that why nothing has been announced?

Pretty odd and shitty tho.

At the Nationals they were saying it would be at the Fort Worth Convention Center.  I also saw flyers at the Nationals on Fort Worth and the convention center.

Posted By: PingPongPom
Date Posted: 08/06/2019 at 11:54pm
Hi all, 

Unfortunately I haven't received any word on dates yet, so haven't been able to publish anything on the website. The US Open will be held in Forth Worth, TX and should be second week of December. As soon as I have the confirmed dates, which I have been pushing to get, I will post straight away. 

The issue at hand was that there was consideration not to host a US Open this year and to start planning next year's US Nationals or Open to try and get ahead instead of being far behind. The strain of finishing a huge event like the nationals and then coming straight back to start planning for the Open is really beginning to show. 

Virginia was very committed to hosting the open and so the team are really scrambling to make sure this event goes ahead. 

I know it's incredibly late in the day, I will do my absolute best to try and secure the dates this week if I can!

-------------
http://mhtabletennis.com

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 12:52am
Originally posted by PingPongPom PingPongPom wrote:

Hi all, 

Unfortunately I haven't received any word on dates yet, so haven't been able to publish anything on the website. The US Open will be held in Forth Worth, TX and should be second week of December. As soon as I have the confirmed dates, which I have been pushing to get, I will post straight away. 

The issue at hand was that there was consideration not to host a US Open this year and to start planning next year's US Nationals or Open to try and get ahead instead of being far behind. The strain of finishing a huge event like the nationals and then coming straight back to start planning for the Open is really beginning to show. 

Virginia was very committed to hosting the open and so the team are really scrambling to make sure this event goes ahead. 

I know it's incredibly late in the day, I will do my absolute best to try and secure the dates this week if I can!

One way to get ahead is to call the Las Vegas Convention Center and book the week of July 4th for the Nationals and run the exact same schedule as this years event.  Then in January you can start working on the 2020 Open.

I don't see a need to change the events every year.  

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 1:22am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

One way to get ahead is to call the Las Vegas Convention Center and book the week of July 4th for the Nationals and run the exact same schedule as this years event.  Then in January you can start working on the 2020 Open.

I don't see a need to change the events every year.  

In all honesty I would like to see the event list locked down permanently and the entry form requiring minimal changes so it can be sent out straight away. There is always a lot of deliberation on events and it's a very unstable event list generally from year to year. 

-------------

Posted By: Twiddler
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 5:39am
For the last several years the Nationals and Open entry have been way,way late.
 Why is this? Lack of expertise and not really caring about your customers.
 Hosting the Nationals and the Open are a PRIORITY and to be late every year and changing
 the format is not doing the membership any favors. 
 In the last few years administratively the USATT has lost sight of what is important.

Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 9:24am

Hi all, 

There are some curious tidbits here, which have some interesting implications. First, I am somewhat peeved that I, as USATT member, learn about this ("we (edit) were seriously thinking about canceling US Open") from a semi-random forum post.  

Now, it's quite possible that having both Open and Nationals is a huge burden, both from financial and organizational perspective (USATT does not exactly swim in money and there are only so many resources) and may be it's worth having a conversation of whether we really need (or can afford) to have two of these each year. But I would appreciate a bit of openness on this issue from USATT. 

As far as scrambling  - I'm sure I don't know all details, but it's not like US Open was a huge surprise this year, which suddenly appeared out of nowhere.  Unless it was widely assumed internally that it will be cancelled and then new CEO said 'no way' (can't blame her, think about the optics: "new CEO comes in, suddenly US Open gets canceled, things fall apart...").

And regarding the constant format/event twiddling - yup, probably not a good idea. Mostly messes up organizers themselves, since they have limited experience with new events/formats and their impact on the rest of the schedule. 

-------------
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 10:04am
I think planning US open on Fort Worth, TX will be a big mistake. US only has two regions with a lot of players. One is CA area. One is NY area. Last year US open in FL has big attendance problems. I bet USATT are losing money on that. Learn from this year National and last year Joola. I bet this year Joola will also be huge people joining. LA open in September will also a big success.  You need people to join!

No matter where are US open this year, we are for sure not going.                                            

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 11:25am
I would love to see the same schedule of events for the Nationals and Open year after year.  Have the Nationals format a little different from the Open format.  There isn't any need for deliberations year after year.

Posted By: cftt-blades
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

I think planning US open on Fort Worth, TX will be a big mistake. US only has two regions with a lot of players. One is CA area. One is NY area. Last year US open in FL has big attendance problems. I bet USATT are losing money on that. Learn from this year National and last year Joola. I bet this year Joola will also be huge people joining. LA open in September will also a big success.  You need people to join!

You realize if the Open was in, say, NY, then everyone on the west coast has a 5+ Hour flight to get there and expensive hotel costs also, and vice versa if it was held on the west coast for anyone living on the east coast.  Having it in Texas actually makes a lot of sense, as it is relatively equidistant from either coast.  Given that you aren't going regardless of if they held it in your backyard, I have a feeling they aren't going to consider your objection.

USATT is in a no-win situation in that no matter where it is held, some group of players will complain.  

-------------
Chris
---
Custom Blade made by me
Donic Bluestorm Z1
Donic Bluestorm Z2

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 2:16pm
It is not right. FL is equal distance between NY and CA too. Both CA and NY amateur players are not going. Some elite players, no matter in Chicago, or Texas, they will go. 

Last year when I saw almost 3/4 empty courts at US open, I feel we made mistake to join. This year US national is much better event.

Originally posted by cftt-blades cftt-blades wrote:

You realize if the Open was in, say, NY, then everyone on the west coast has a 5+ Hour flight to get there and expensive hotel costs also, and vice versa if it was held on the west coast for anyone living on the east coast.  Having it in Texas actually makes a lot of sense, as it is relatively equidistant from either coast.  Given that you aren't going regardless of if they held it in your backyard, I have a feeling they aren't going to consider your objection.

USATT is in a no-win situation in that no matter where it is held, some group of players will complain.  

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 2:34pm
The problem of putting the Open on the East coast is the East coasters prefer the Teams over the Open.
Everything is way more expensive than Las Vegas (think more than double).  the NY area does have a lot of players who are within a few hours of a playing facility and would probably go.  

The mistake of Fort Worth is that there aren't that many players within driving distance.  Airfare to Texas is okay, but I don't know about hotel rates or cost of facilities.

Las Vegas always draws good numbers because of the closeness of California players.  No other area can bring the numbers that California does.

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

("we are seriously thinking about canceling US Open")  

Why did you put something that I didn't say in quotation marks.

I said that there WAS consideration, I didn't say to what degree and certainly did not indicate present tense.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 2:52pm
Not because we prefer Team event. Two reasons: 1. timing is correct. (Thanksgiving time has nothing to do) 2. Location is right. Local clubs support Team event and send all their players in. 

I prefer single rather team. It is very hard to find teammate with same goal and similar level.

The problem of putting the Open on the East coast is the East coasters prefer the Teams over the Open.
Everything is way more expensive than Las Vegas (think more than double).  the NY area does have a lot of players who are within a few hours of a playing facility and would probably go.  

The mistake of Fort Worth is that there aren't that many players within driving distance.  Airfare to Texas is okay, but I don't know about hotel rates or cost of facilities.

Las Vegas always draws good numbers because of the closeness of California players.  No other area can bring the numbers that California does.

Posted By: amateur
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 2:53pm
The Open should be about attracting international players and American spectators (not masses of US players).

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 3:21pm

("we are seriously thinking about canceling US Open")  

Why did you put something that I didn't say in quotation marks.

I said that there WAS consideration, I didn't say to what degree and certainly did not indicate present tense.

Edited my post to reflect that such consideration did occur in the past. 

You also made it sound that a) CEO had to really push for it to happen and b) now everyone is scrambling to make sure it does happen, which implies that it was serious enough to delay normal event planning. Am I wrong here and it was an unfortunate choice of words in your post?

-------------

Posted By: patrickhrdlicka
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 3:33pm
Las Vegas = Excellent compromise between distance, price (lodging, don't know about facility), tourist activities, time zones etc. East coast has the Teams event.    

-------------
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Youtube channel: youtube.com/c/PatricksPingPongPassion

USATT rating: 2k+

Posted By: jfolsen
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

The Open should be about attracting international players and American spectators (not masses of US players).

No mass of players, no money. It's all those players that make the event possible.

Posted By: pongfugrasshopper
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Las Vegas = Excellent compromise between distance, price (lodging, don't know about facility), tourist activities, time zones etc. East coast has the Teams event.    
Las Vegas for Nationals as a mainstay is fine.  But a 2nd 5-star event in Vegas is a bit much and um, not a compromise for east vs. west coasts.  Fort Worth, Texas is a reasonable compromise.

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Las Vegas for Nationals as a mainstay is fine.  But a 2nd 5-star event in Vegas is a bit much and um, not a compromise for east vs. west coasts.  Fort Worth, Texas is a reasonable compromise.
Just did a quick check on Expedia. Currently it’s cheaper to fly from New York to Vegas than its to fly New York to Ft. Worth. 

-------------

Posted By: bes
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 4:22pm

It is not right. FL is equal distance between NY and CA too. Both CA and NY amateur players are not going. Some elite players, no matter in Chicago, or Texas, they will go. 

Last year when I saw almost 3/4 empty courts at US open, I feel we made mistake to join. This year US national is much better event.

Originally posted by cftt-blades cftt-blades wrote:

Florida is not even close to "equal distance from East and West coast".  LA is roughly twice as far from Orlando as Boston.  The Bay area is much further...  But you could be right about both coasts not attending.

Hopefully a much higher number of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and New Mexico players will attend.

bes

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 4:28pm
I think this is all a unique marketing ploy. Gotta have the code word or something to join in.

This worked great for google email way back when. Had to know someone to invite you.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 4:32pm

Just did a quick check on Expedia. Currently it’s cheaper to fly from New York to Vegas than its to fly New York to Ft. Worth. 
Fair enough on the price, but distance and time zone are important factors too.

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 5:25pm

[/QUOTE] 

Florida is not even close to "equal distance from East and West coast".  LA is roughly twice as far from Orlando as Boston.  The Bay area is much further...  But you could be right about both coasts not attending.
Hopefully a much higher number of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and New Mexico players will attend.
bes
[/QUOTE]

I'm fine with the selection of Fort Worth "IF" the surrounding states will really support it with the numbers needed to make it successful.  I would be surprised if the above states sent 250 players.

Posted By: aj_88
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 7:18pm
Keeping it in Fort Worth is a joke. They may not get the kind of international participation they seek to make it international in scope and reach. Plus they keep reducing the prize money which reduces the incentive for players to participate.

Just cancel it rather than be an embarrassment to the world. 

-------------
JA

Posted By: heavyspin
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 7:30pm
The attraction of Fort Worth is that you can rent a car and it's only a 6 or 7 hour drive to the Corpus Christi club we read so much about here.

-------------
TT idiom - Don't count your rating before the match.

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 7:43pm
You'd think doing two events in Vegas would make things much easier.

Keep it in the same hall, same setup and all of that. I mean, what even happens to all of the tables and equipment?

Seems like it should be pretty easy to copy and paste a lot of this stuff.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Posted By: aj_88
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:02pm
Yes you would think that would be a better option but USATT specializes in making things difficult for all participants. Mediocrity rules when it comes to hosting a national level tournament.

-------------
JA

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

The attraction of Fort Worth is that you can rent a car and it's only a 6 or 7 hour drive to the Corpus Christi club we read so much about here.

If you attend the Open in Ft Worth and then go visit the Corpus Christi TT club, mjamja will give you a free lesson on the fundamentals of shadow stroking and you can get a free video of you and mountain man shadow stroking together.

If that does not get attendance up over 800 players I can not imagine what would.

Mark - Excited to break out his Stetson and cowboy boots for playing in Ft. Worth

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:24pm

You also made it sound that a) CEO had to really push for it to happen and b) now everyone is scrambling to make sure it does happen, which implies that it was serious enough to delay normal event planning. Am I wrong here and it was an unfortunate choice of words in your post?

Nobody WANTED for it not to happen, we just discussed some of the realities and strains around it and whether or not we thought we could deliver on the event. There are a lot more variables involved with this US Open than in previous years, but its a tradition that the players tend to enjoy for the most part so we unanimously committed to doing whatever was necessary to stage the event. 

I believe the Las Vegas Convention Center was not available during the time period of asking, and that caused considerable delays while a new venue was sought out.

-------------

Posted By: Charlie Brown
Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

If you attend the Open in Ft Worth and then go visit the Corpus Christi TT club, mjamja will give you a free lesson on the fundamentals of shadow stroking and you can get a free video of you and mountain man shadow stroking together.

If that does not get attendance up over 800 players I can not imagine what would.

Mark - Excited to break out his Stetson and cowboy boots for playing in Ft. Worth

LOLLOLLOL

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 08/07/2019 at 10:27pm
It's very tempting for me to go because I play well against Texans, Texan juniors in particular. I'm not sure why. In recent years I beat a young 2200 Tianming Xie and turning back the clock, I beat a teenage mid 2300 Eric Owens.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/08/2019 at 2:30am
Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available.  

Date Posted: 08/08/2019 at 7:36am
just the BBQ joints alone would get me in FWT (i know this is in Austin)

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 08/08/2019 at 8:48am

It's very tempting for me to go because I play well against Texans, Texan juniors in particular. I'm not sure why. In recent years I beat a young 2200 Tianming Xie and turning back the clock, I beat a teenage mid 2300 Eric Owens.
Everything's bigger in Texas so you're twice as intimidating in Texas LOL

Date Posted: 08/08/2019 at 10:57am

Everything's bigger in Texas so you're twice as intimidating in Texas LOL
I suppose the locals will address me as "y'all"

-------------

Date Posted: 08/08/2019 at 11:59am

Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available.  
Do not be surprised if the the 2020 US Open is also in FT. Worth as the 2021 WTTC is being held there. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/08/2019 at 12:02pm

Do not be surprised if the the 2020 US Open is also in FT. Worth as the 2021 WTTC is being held there. 
Same state (TX), not same city (Houston vs. Ft. Worth).... But I understand your point Smile

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 08/08/2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

"Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available. "

They will wait until it's no longer available, of course.
Then they will find some excuse to rationalize why it is not their fault.

FdT

Date Posted: 08/10/2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

just the BBQ joints alone would get me in FWT (i know this is in Austin)

Does anyone happen to know the Fort Worth to Austin bus or train schedule?

-------------

Posted By: WangXui
Date Posted: 08/10/2019 at 3:45pm

Does anyone happen to know the Fort Worth to Austin bus or train schedule?

Wow $11 one way on Greyhound on (Christmas day 25th & eve 24th)  if you book today 

Who do you think you are ? Waldner (Can't drive ? Get a rental for a week ?)  

Anyway if it was me I would talk to players from Austin and hitch a ride at a convenient time(s) ? 

If you want a little luxury Amtrak at $24 on 24th 

Or if you are the type who likes serial killers you can try a CraigsList rideshare ad. 

(Megabus is nice & cheaper most trips but not available in Fort Worth) 

Date Posted: 08/10/2019 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

"Has the USATT tried booking Las Vegas for the Nationals and Open in 2020, or will they wait until it's not available. "

They will wait until it's no longer available, of course.
Then they will find some excuse to rationalize why it is not their fault.

FdT

If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?

-------------

Date Posted: 08/10/2019 at 6:36pm

[/QUOTE]

If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?
[/QUOTE]
Because the convention center is usually available for the Nationals and Open dates.  I'm guessing that they assumed it would always be available and didn't try to book it for the Open until someone else took the date.  

Have they booked Las Vegas for the Nationals yet?  Have they booked a site for next years Open yet?

It's very easy to make the call.  

Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 1:36pm
Currently there isn't a table sponsor for the US Open. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 2:00pm

Do you know the cost of the sponsorship? 

Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 2:05pm

Do you know the cost of the sponsorship? 
No. All I is that RFP's have been sent out to the various table suppliers. 

-------------

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 2:59pm
When I saw the title, I thought it was all about an effort to get the tourney to happen in one of the hangers in Area 51... kinda like the FB phenomenon of over-running Area 51...

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

When I saw the title, I thought it was all about an effort to get the tourney to happen in one of the hangers in Area 51... kinda like the FB phenomenon of over-running Area 51...

With winners medals in the shape of flying saucers, no leg tables held up by Element 115 gravity generators, and light warping paddles which are effectively invisible to opponent (hidden serves with ball in plain sight).  Opening ceremonies would feature a night time invisible flyby of the newest triangle shaped stealth blimps.

Mark - Who just purchased a sheet of the special ACNT (Alpha Centauri National Team) invisible sponge for his Fh.

Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 6:57pm

Since the US - to my knowledge - doesn't have a time zone sitting between mountain and central, on half of players will face a 2h time zone shift, and the other a 1h time zone shift, unless it is held on a coast (then it is 0 and 3) --> compromise.

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth, rendering distance of lesser importance.  

-------------
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

Posted By: DavenKrugz
Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 10:11pm

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth

From what I know based on my trip 10 years go to USA, there is no regular airport in Fort Worth. Fort Worth is a twin city of Dallas and there a a very big airport in between these two cities, called DFW Airport which is in another big city by itself called Arlington.  DFW therefore has lots of domestic & international flights and there is also a big airport in Dallas called Lovefield. 
         I think there is a sport called American Football (but is mostly played with hands LOL and once in a while kicked but the kicker is the least respected and actually ridiculed player on the team)  which is more like rugby (but players are afraid and wear helmets unlike rugby) and they have a big stadium in Arlington for this sport. Americans actually make fun of the global sport of football (actually played with fee) and call it soccer and mostly girls play soccer I heard.  Incidentally lot of steroids are involved in this sport as well as in baseball (which again unlike in cricket in which we England are finally World Champions , a global sport) and all fielders players in baseball are also afraid and wear gloves unlike cricket where all but one fielder wears any gloves. 

Posted By: DavenKrugz
Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by DavenKrugz DavenKrugz wrote:

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth

From what I know based on my trip 10 years go to USA, there is no regular airport in Fort Worth. Fort Worth is a twin city of Dallas and there a a very big airport in between these two cities, called DFW Airport which is in another big city by itself called Arlington.  DFW therefore has lots of domestic & international flights and there is also a big airport in Dallas called Lovefield. 
         I think there is a sport called American Football (but is mostly played with hands LOL and once in a while kicked but the kicker is the least respected and actually ridiculed player on the team)  which is more like rugby (but players are afraid and wear helmets unlike rugby, another global sport like real football) and they have a big stadium in Arlington for this sport. Americans actually make fun of the global sport of football (actually played with fee) and call it soccer and mostly girls play soccer I heard.  Incidentally lot of steroids are involved in this sport as well as in baseball (which again unlike in cricket in which we England are finally World Champions, a global sport, but Aussies now suck .....ha ha just rubbing it in to lots of Aussies like tassie52 & haggisv etc on this forum) and all fielders in baseball are also afraid and wear gloves unlike cricket where all but one fielder wears any gloves. 

Date Posted: 08/11/2019 at 10:22pm

Since the US - to my knowledge - doesn't have a time zone sitting between mountain and central, on half of players will face a 2h time zone shift, and the other a 1h time zone shift, unless it is held on a coast (then it is 0 and 3) --> compromise.

Distance: I will take a guess and state that there are far more direct flights to Las Vegas than Ft. Worth, rendering distance of lesser importance.  
I believe Las Vegas is on Pacific Time Zone.

DFW is the 4th largest airport in the world.

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 08/12/2019 at 10:02am
Probably cheaper in Ft Worth than LV for organizers.  I have to say, FW is not my favorite place.  But there is BBQ so there is that.  Its everywhere in Texas.

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 08/12/2019 at 1:23pm
"If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?"

Irrelevant. A person with the reading skills of a 4 year old could have noticed the original question was about the 2020 Open. Not Open tourneys from previous years. Therefore you are constructing a strawman argument.

original question:

FdT

Date Posted: 08/12/2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"If that were the case then explain how it's been held in Vegas so many times previously?"

Irrelevant. A person with the reading skills of a 4 year old could have noticed the original question was about the 2020 Open. Not Open tourneys from previous years. Therefore you are constructing a strawman argument.

original question:

FdT

If that was all you wrote then the question would have stood by itself. 

Why add something which makes it seem like it's a habit of USATT to not arrange venues and then look for excuses when they have secured Vegas many times before.

To answer the question, I don't believe they have looked into next year's venues yet, but they are looking to break the cycle of falling behind constantly - so getting in early with next year's venues should be high on the priority list. 

We met after the US Nationals and discussed the current state that the organization is in of falling further and further behind with these major events. I know they are looking to change things to try and shift that cycle for the future and certainly for me personally I am an advocate for fixing the events we hold so that we don't spend weeks and months deliberating on the entry form and prospectus which delays getting the information out. 

For a US Open to be any kind of success in drawing international players, we have to finalize the information 1 year ahead of time at a minimum, and I think setting deadlines for securing a venue and releasing information is important - certainly something I intend to bring up more with Virginia.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/12/2019 at 8:32pm
One 5 minute phone call is all it takes to book both the 2020 Nationals and Open in Las Vegas.  How long will they be looking into making that phone call.  As I said before, run the exact same National schedule as they did this year and the 2020 Nationals will be taken care.  That gives them a whole year to "look into" what to do with the 2020 Open.

As a marketing guy, I understand your position.  You're stuck trying to tell us that you have to live with what management does.  Like I said, one 5 minute call solves 2020.  Stay on them.

Date Posted: 08/12/2019 at 8:47pm

One 5 minute phone call is all it takes to book both the 2020 Nationals and Open in Las Vegas.  How long will they be looking into making that phone call.  As I said before, run the exact same National schedule as they did this year and the 2020 Nationals will be taken care.  That gives them a whole year to "look into" what to do with the 2020 Open.

As a marketing guy, I understand your position.  You're stuck trying to tell us that you have to live with what management does.  Like I said, one 5 minute call solves 2020.  Stay on them.

It might take a bit more than a simple phone call, like a deposit of $$$, no? Which might or might not be readily available.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/13/2019 at 12:08am

It might take a bit more than a simple phone call, like a deposit of $$$, no? Which might or might not be readily available.

Many times if a group is a regular user of a facility the don't require an early deposit.  The convention center should have a nice relationship with the USATT.  

Date Posted: 08/13/2019 at 8:32am
Whoa! Agreed for Nationals, but has Las Vegas even been confirmed for 2020 US Open? 

Date Posted: 08/13/2019 at 12:54pm

Whoa! Agreed for Nationals, but has Las Vegas even been confirmed for 2020 US Open? 

Not even the Nationals has been confirmed.

Date Posted: 08/14/2019 at 12:09am
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/August/13/Fort-Worth-Texas-to-Host-the-2019-Seamaster-US-Open-Table-Tennis-Championships?fbclid=IwAR1AphQx7yooXhaEH64-psydu9kRbQPSZtS-vbPVfK1Qo0zx07xq3T9afkY" rel="nofollow - https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/August/13/Fort-Worth-Texas-to-Host-the-2019-Seamaster-US-Open-Table-Tennis-Championships?fbclid=IwAR1AphQx7yooXhaEH64-psydu9kRbQPSZtS-vbPVfK1Qo0zx07xq3T9afkY

-------------

Date Posted: 08/14/2019 at 12:13am

[/QUOTE]

Well - I stand corrected. Apologies.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/14/2019 at 6:35am

Well - I stand corrected. Apologies.
No biggie.  I need to stand correct myself .... DFW is the 4th *busiest* airport in the world.  Its actually the 3rd largest by size.  

Date Posted: 08/14/2019 at 12:11pm

Yea will do

-------------

Posted By: dina_arif
Date Posted: 08/17/2019 at 10:01am

Many times if a group is a regular user of a facility the don't require an early deposit.  The convention center should have a nice relationship with the USATT.  

SERIOUSLY ? 
Do you know probably more than 100s of groups with lot more money & clout use  any smaller convention center, let alone Las Vegas Convention center, which could probably be the busiest in the world ?

Anyway most cool (weatherwise I mean) in the summer Northern states like Alaska or North Dakota or NH, VT, ME etc  may be better venues to host the US Closed in the summer.  You may get cheaper playing venues and the states may give some breaks as they can badly use the business.  

Las Vegas in summer really sucks like 130 degrees.

I know many explained many time why LV is overall better but to run both US Closed  & Open in the same sin city over and over sucks.

At least US Open in December may be OK as it may attract many foreign tourist players who want to gamble or think prostitution is legal in Las Vegas Embarrassed 

The only thing cool for me (about Las Vegas) is to be able to rent Ferraris or Lamborghinis etc and drive on the race track. Are there any other cities that have this ? 

Date Posted: 08/17/2019 at 10:44am

This is the more likely scenario, having a relationship means nothing if a deposit isn't on time or payable...convention space isn't a "relationship based commodity", you hold a "space" with money paid in advance - months or sometime years in advance.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 08/18/2019 at 1:18am
Originally posted by dina_arif dina_arif wrote:

SERIOUSLY ? 
Do you know probably more than 100s of groups with lot more money & clout use  any smaller convention center, let alone Las Vegas Convention center, which could probably be the busiest in the world.

I used facilities, big and small for over 20 years.  After a few years I could call the facility a year in advance, reserve my date, and not sign the actual contract until a few weeks prior to my event.  Deposits were rarely required and I paid for the facility the night of the event or the following Monday.

Date Posted: 08/18/2019 at 1:35am
After spending time with mts388 and hearing some of his stories I am convinced that if he was promoting the US Nationals, Vegas would end up paying the USATT to come there.  That man is a promoter.  If only his TT game was as strong.

Mark - Mts388 fan

Date Posted: 08/22/2019 at 11:21am
This topic was started on 6-8-2019. Here we are on 8-22-2019, still no way to enter or even to know what events are being run.

Date Posted: 08/22/2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

This topic was started on 6-8-2019. Here we are on 8-22-2019, still no way to enter or even to know what events are being run.

Do you mean 8-6-2019? It was made over 2 weeks ago.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Date Posted: 08/22/2019 at 2:30pm

Do you mean 8-6-2019? It was made over 2 weeks ago.

No, they told us location (Ft. Worth) and dates. No entry blank or online registration, or even a list of events.

Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 3:13pm
The entry prospectus should be out this week. 78 events. 3 rated doubles events 3100, 3800 and 4500. No Super tiered RR event. 7 event max limit.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 4:52pm
Nice to see they cut back on events, although I'll miss the super tiered.

Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 6:50pm

I have the opposite reaction. When I attended the December 2018 Open the tables sat unused a great deal of the time. In fact, I can't recall all tables in use at the same time ever (though it might be possible I missed that moment). So the idea of less events doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless you shorten the whole tournament by a day or two.

Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 7:50pm

I have the opposite reaction. When I attended the December 2018 Open the tables sat unused a great deal of the time. In fact, I can't recall all tables in use at the same time ever (though it might be possible I missed that moment). So the idea of less events doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless you shorten the whole tournament by a day or two.

I think we might see some cuts in the junior and hardbat events.  They could have the rating events 250 points apart, but I don't think they would do that.  The could have more combined junior and adult rating events.  I'm okay with 7 entries, unless I can't find 7 events I would normally enter.

Last years Open was a mess.  I can't imagine them trying something similar.

edit I just looked at the 2019 Nationals and found 27 events that could be cut without hurting (in my opinion) the event.

Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 8:07pm

I think we might see some cuts in the junior and hardbat events.  They could have the rating events 250 points apart, but I don't think they would do that.  The could have more combined junior and adult rating events.  I'm okay with 7 entries, unless I can't find 7 events I would normally enter.

edit I just looked at the 2019 Nationals and found 27 events that I could be cut without hurting (in my opinion) the event.

Date Posted: 08/27/2019 at 8:15pm

edit I just looked at the 2019 Nationals and found 27 events that could be cut without hurting (in my opinion) the event.

I take it you don't play hardbat? Wink

I think the thing that gets lost in all this is that these events are what is funding the tournament. We don't have big sponsors. If a critical mass of ordinary players don't show up there is no money for the tournament. That is why there are so many events.

Date Posted: 08/28/2019 at 3:19pm
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/August/28/USATT-and-STAG-Enter-Groundbreaking-Agreement?fbclid=IwAR0SUpo8ASmUe7yBZmEEhPa1yQGJXGF-_aVgYkjEKRWFx8QDpnfUTabtOKo" rel="nofollow - https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/August/28/USATT-and-STAG-Enter-Groundbreaking-Agreement?fbclid=IwAR0SUpo8ASmUe7yBZmEEhPa1yQGJXGF-_aVgYkjEKRWFx8QDpnfUTabtOKo

-------------

Date Posted: 08/28/2019 at 4:41pm
Ok.  Where in the US do I find a club with Stag tables so that I can practice my serves.

Never mind.  I just read that if your serves are generally 4 in above net and land mid table on opponent's side you should notice almost no difference in the kind of returns you get when playing on a Stag table.  Guess I do not need any special table specific practice.

Mark -  So many problems so little practice time.

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 2:59pm
US Open entry form and registration are now online.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 3:21pm
Looks like USATT may be eliminating any reason for me to train and try to get better.

No individual championship events for O60, O70, etc.  Wonder if they will follow the same idea at Nationals.

I was organizing my training to peak for the O80 title in 2034 but I guess that is just a hopeless dream now.

And how do you plan an O70 team since you not sure who will be needing a walker by the time the tournament starts.

Mark - Who has been set adrift on an ice flow by the USATT

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Looks like USATT may be eliminating any reason for me to train and try to get better.

No individual championship events for O60, O70, etc.  Wonder if they will follow the same idea at Nationals.

I was organizing my training to peak for the O80 title in 2034 but I guess that is just a hopeless dream now.

And how do you plan an O70 team since you not sure who will be needing a walker by the time the tournament starts.

Mark - Who has been set adrift on an ice flow by the USATT

All seniors over 50 lumped together in either Men or Women????
One hardbat event???? Not even Men's and Women's????
And yet there are rating events for Juniors, U-2000, U-1900, U-1800, U-1700, U-1600, U-1400, U-1200 and U-1000
On the bright side, it makes it an easy decision whether to go.

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 4:07pm
Less than 500 players will show up.  Could be closer to 400.

If you default a match you're out of the rest of the tournament.

You would think they would understand their market, but they don't have a clue.

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 4:34pm
4 day event.

Just looking at the usual 1400-1800 player, each is broken up into 100 point brackets so a fair amount of play there.

For fun I broke down my costs if I was to attend.
Fly in Monday, practice.
Play Tuesday U1700 @1:30 pm
Play U2000 @ 8:30 am
Play Wednesday U1800 @ 5:30 pm
Fly out Thursday

3 Events, $180 + 25 player pass
Flight from Las Vegas: $221 + bags
Hotel: $300ish
------------------------
$761 + food and taxi service. $850 most likely.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Posted By: Purett
Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 5:14pm
you cant enter online

-------------
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 9:23pm

4 day event.

Just looking at the usual 1400-1800 player, each is broken up into 100 point brackets so a fair amount of play there.

For fun I broke down my costs if I was to attend.
Fly in Monday, practice.
Play Tuesday U1700 @1:30 pm
Play U2000 @ 8:30 am
Play Wednesday U1800 @ 5:30 pm
Fly out Thursday

3 Events, $180 + 25 player pass
Flight from Las Vegas: $221 + bags
Hotel: $300ish
------------------------
$761 + food and taxi service. $850 most likely.

About $50 a match

Posted By: hardbatpower
Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 10:06pm
Anyone know why they're saying it's December 17-21 when there are no events on December 21? LOL

-------------
Der Material Spezialist Revolution, Haifu Dolphin OX + Curl P3alphaR

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by hardbatpower hardbatpower wrote:

Anyone know why they're saying it's December 17-21 when there are no events on December 21? LOL

Didn't notice that.  Less events=less players.  Won't need 5 days.  The planned demise of the Open.  It could be that they want to convert the Open and Nationals to events for elite players only.  They're on the right track.

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 10:47pm

Didn't notice that.  Less events=less players.  Won't need 5 days.  The planned demise of the Open.  It could be that they want to convert the Open and Nationals to events for elite players only.  They're on the right track.

Maybe it's the day for finals, not the start of any event?

And agree, it's a very bad trend.

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 10:56pm
Oh I see - events may not finish on the same day they begin.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/30/2019 at 11:05pm

Maybe it's the day for finals, not the start of any event?

And agree, it's a very bad trend.

It looks like there will be some finals on the 21st.  Good catch.  

Date Posted: 08/31/2019 at 8:40am
I also can't find any information on the format of the round robin events. Groups of 4 or 5? 1 player advances or 2? 

No "Giant RR" format? I know last year's triple RR was really challenging. But a lot of tournaments have for example a U1900 Giant RR where you play two RR groups and then single elimination.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/31/2019 at 9:16am

If you default a match you're out of the rest of the tournament.

Is that a new rule? If so, could be a little harsh for a multi day tournament, I'd reword it as "out of the event". Should still cut down on strategic defaults at RR stages.

-------------

Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 08/31/2019 at 9:44am
DEFAULTS: An athlete who defaults in any event in the US Open Table Tennis Championships is considered to have completely, fully and finally defaulted the opportunity for any further parƟc‐ ipaƟon whatsoever in the 2019 US Open Table Tennis Championships. However, in cases where the default is due to illness or injury, an athlete may appeal to the Tournament Director for the right to be permiƩed to parƟcipate in a separate Youth and/or Men’s or Women’s Champion‐ ship Event for which the athlete has previously registered other than the Event in which the athlete defaulted. The Tournament Director is vested with the sole authority, without oppor‐ tunity for appeal, to determine whether the athlete’s default was due to a verifiable injury or illness and whether said athlete should be permiƩed to compete in a said separate Event.

Date Posted: 08/31/2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

DEFAULTS: An athlete who defaults in any event in the US Open Table Tennis Championships is considered to have completely, fully and finally defaulted the opportunity for any further parƟc‐ ipaƟon whatsoever in the 2019 US Open Table Tennis Championships. However, in cases where the default is due to illness or injury, an athlete may appeal to the Tournament Director for the right to be permiƩed to parƟcipate in a separate Youth and/or Men’s or Women’s Champion‐ ship Event for which the athlete has previously registered other than the Event in which the athlete defaulted. The Tournament Director is vested with the sole authority, without oppor‐ tunity for appeal, to determine whether the athlete’s default was due to a verifiable injury or illness and whether said athlete should be permiƩed to compete in a said separate Event.

Thanks for finding actual rule, much appreciated.

OK, so TD has authority to limit effect of default to a single event and let you participate in other events. I'm cool with that.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net