Print Page | Close Window

Lily and the 2020 Olympics

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: This forum is for general discussions about table tennis.
Moderator: JimT
Assistant Moderators: mmerkel

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86731
Printed Date: 09/19/2019 at 11:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lily and the 2020 Olympics
Posted By: DonnOlsen
Subject: Lily and the 2020 Olympics
Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 8:37am
Hi,

Now that we have Lily winning the Pan Am Games Women's Singles title (as well as the three other golds), in addition to being the U.S. Champion, does this alter the perspective on the qualification prospects for the next Olympics?

Thanks,

-------------
Donn

"You must be brave." Guo Yuehua

Replies:
Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 9:04am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

Now that we have Lily winning the Pan Am Games Women's Singles title (as well as the three other golds), in addition to being the U.S. Champion, does this alter the perspective on the qualification prospects for the next Olympics?

Thanks,

A lot will come down to the World rankings if they keep the current Olympics game team/singles qualification criteria.  But if they change the criteria, it might be one tournament in California or Vegas.

For me actually, the most interesting problem is how well Amy Wang plays doubles if she makes the team.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.

Posted By: DonnOlsen
Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

A lot will come down to the World rankings if they keep the current Olympics game team/singles qualification criteria.  But if they change the criteria, it might be one tournament in California or Vegas.

For me actually, the most interesting problem is how well Amy Wang plays doubles if she makes the team.

Thanks.

With her recent results, Amy Wang is our shooting star in singles.  When Rachel Sung beat Amy at the last Olympic trials, I saw Rachel as the "Next Big Thing."  I was wrong in that prediction.

If we look at the top line up of the U.S. women, we have Liu Juan, Lily, Jennifer, Crystal, and Amy.  Now, I put Amy third on this list.  This is impressive indeed.

Your concern concerning Amy's doubles is a point well taken.

Thanks again,

-------------
Donn

"You must be brave." Guo Yuehua

Posted By: pongfugrasshopper
Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 10:32am

Hi,

Thanks,

Thanks.

With her recent results, Amy Wang is our shooting star in singles.  When Rachel Sung beat Amy at the last Olympic trials, I saw Rachel as the "Next Big Thing."  I was wrong in that prediction.

If we look at the top line up of the U.S. women, we have Liu Juan, Lily, Jennifer, Crystal, and Amy.  Now, I put Amy third on this list.  This is impressive indeed.

Your concern concerning Amy's doubles is a point well taken.

Thanks again,
Things are starting to get really interesting in the World Ranking race between Wu Yue and Lily Zhang.  Here is my calculation for 2019 rankings points for each:

WU Yue
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN)  World_Tour      360
    2019 - ITTF-Panam Cup, Guaynabo (PUR)   Continental Champs_Cup          1170
    I believe only one result can be used between Pan Am Cup/Championship according
    to the 2019 ITTF World Ranking Regulation (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):
3.6. Maximum one continental event counts out of the singles continental championships, team continental championships and continental cup for seniors.
    2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) Challenge Plus  220 (not top 8)
2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Oman Open, Muscat (OMA) Challenge Plus      330
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Slovenia Open, Otocec (SLO)  Challenge           255
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Croatia Open, Zagreb (CRO)   Challenge           340
2019 - ITTF World Tour Platinum, Qatar Open, Doha (QAT) Platinum        450
2019 - World Table Tennis Championships, Budapest (HUN) WTTC            900
2019 - Pan American Games, Lima (PER)   Continental Games               930
2019 - ITTF Pan American Championships, Asuncion (PAR)                  1170
                                                                        ====
ZHANG Lily
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hungarian Open, Budapest (HUN)  World_Tour      270
    2019 - ITTF-Panam Cup, Guaynabo (PUR)   Continental Champs_Cup          900
    (superseded by Pan Am Champs result)
2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open, Lisbon (POR) Challenge Plus  330
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Spanish Open, Guadalajara (ESP)  Challenge       170
2019 - World Table Tennis Championships, Budapest (HUN) WTTC            600
2019 - ITTF Challenge, Slovenia Open, Otocec (SLO)  Challenge           425
2019 - ITTF World Tour Platinum, Japan Open, Sapporo (JPN)  Platinum    450
2019 - Pan American Games, Lima (PER)   Continental Games               665
2019 - ITTF Pan American Championships, Asuncion (PAR)                  1800
                                                                        ====

China gave Lily a Wild Card for the 2019 Women's World Cup so that changed everything!  There's a very real possibility now that Lily will surpass Wu Yue in the ranking race. What's also going to be interesting is how many matches each player is going to get to play at the World Team Cup in November.  Each win is worth 250 points.  

Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 3:52pm
Here's an interesting what-if scenario to think about.  We all know that Juan Liu is the best female player in the USA, right?  The most likely scenario is that Juan Liu wins the trials, either Wu Yue or Lily get in by ranking, and the loser of the two has to compete on discretionary selection with Amy.

However, let's say Lily Zhang makes the team by beating out Wu Yue in the rankings race.  Now what if Juan Liu get's injured just prior to the Olympic Trials and Amy Wang wins the Olympic Trials.  Do you now select Juan Liu or Wu Yue as the 3rd player?  Juan Liu is clearly a far better player than Wu Yue, and I might even go as far as saying if everything turned out in her perfectly in her favor, she has a shot at Bronze.  Most players would not be terribly familiar with her style and that may cause problems for them not to mention she's a 2700 level player.  You add in the pressure of the Olympics and anything can happen.  OTOH, Wu Yue clearly has most of the bullet points listed in discretionary selection.  Though you can still justify Juan Liu based on her dominant result at the last Adult Ranking Tournament.  You could swap Wu Yue and Lily Zhang but the conundrum would be the same.  And as NextLevel mentioned above, we don't even know if USATT will keep the current selection criteria.  Interesting times.

Posted By: mentortt
Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 4:04pm
Juan Liu will be US only chance in women tt top 16. I don't think anyone else has any chances to beat China and Japan players in olympics. True, Lily , Yue or Amy has good ittf ranking in Pan Am events. But can they beat chinese or japanese good players? I don't think so.  For men's side, it will be even worse. kanak cannot win top 32 players recently. I don't think they have any chances at all.

Posted By: Charlie Brown
Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 4:52pm
Juan Liu has not seen World competition for a very long time, i would group her in with "she's a very good American female player" now.

-------------
*sigh*

Posted By: bard romance
Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Charlie Brown Charlie Brown wrote:

Juan Liu has not seen World competition for a very long time, i would group her in with "she's a very good American female player" now.

You know who has seen world competition? Ricardo Walther, a top 50 mens player in the world, who she played very respectably. Daniel Gorak, a French and Euro league player who she beat. He Zhiwen, who she beat. Lily and Wu Yue, who she beat comfortably. She clearly has the pedigree, no need to overthink this.

Date Posted: 09/10/2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

You know who has seen world competition? Ricardo Walther, a top 50 mens player in the world, who she played very respectably. Daniel Gorak, a French and Euro league player who she beat. He Zhiwen, who she beat. Lily and Wu Yue, who she beat comfortably. She clearly has the pedigree, no need to overthink this.
She won the 2018 US Open as well.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 145

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 12:22am
Bronze? R16? Making the main draw is already an achievement.

Getting past Hong Kong, South Korea, and/or North Korea is out of the question. Not even Romania and Germany.

As weak as the field is right now, you still need tons of luck with the draw and lots of upsets.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 8:15am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Getting past Hong Kong, South Korea, and/or North Korea is out of the question. Not even Romania and Germany.

As weak as the field is right now, you still need tons of luck with the draw and lots of upsets.

I understand where you are coming from but Juan Liu is strong enough to get two matches vs most of those teams.  It all depends on whether Lily or Jennifer or Amy can get one.

-------------
Carbonado 145

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 8:46am

She won the 2018 US Open as well.

like i said and you're both pointing out, "a very good American female player" ;)

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 10:09am
Seems like an arbitrary criticism, what about her makes you think she won’t be successful at the international women’s level? Does she have some tendency to fold under pressure you’ve noticed? You think she isn’t experienced enough? Or are you just throwing out some generality about “international experience” despite her skill level being right up there?

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 10:18am
My memory that he only supports Canada players, for example Eugene Wang or Mo Zhang. I saw part Mo Zhang vs Lily Zhang's game. Mo looks frustrated and has no chance from her face.

Posted By: amateur
Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 10:55am

Hi,

Thanks,

Lily won the Pan Am Championships, not the Pan Am Games.

Posted By: jackwong23
Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 12:18pm

I understand where you are coming from but Juan Liu is strong enough to get two matches vs most of those teams.  It all depends on whether Lily or Jennifer or Amy can get one.

I think team USA can beat any team out there 
except China, Japan and  South Korea. 

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 12:55pm
some people have a difficult time NOT reading too much into a simple statement and then choose to add their own opinions into that simple statement

yes i do support only Canada players...like Dan Seemiller but wait did he change citizenship?

Juan Liu is a "GOOD AMERICAN FEMALE TT Player" let's see how you read into that again? Disapprove

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 1:00pm
It’s not people reading into it too much, perhaps your lack of writing skills - your post clearly insinuates that, for reasons unstated, Liu Juan would not be successful against international competition. 

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 1:27pm

It’s not people reading into it too much, perhaps your lack of writing skills - your post clearly insinuates that, for reasons unstated, Liu Juan would not be successful against international competition. 

would you like to quote that "insinuation" then read it a few times before getting too defensive of a "simple statement"

you know when you "attack" someone based on misreading a "simple statement" is  a sign of ...maybe you'd like to finish that statement too? since you seem to have a better grasp of my first language?

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 1:35pm
Alright, since you aren’t trying to imply anything else, thank you for your valuable contribution to the conversation. 

Ma Long is a very good Chinese player. 

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 2:28pm
ending a "discussion with an insult" is very "big of you" shows maturity in your character...yes i do agreed Ma Long is a very good Chinese TT player.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/11/2019 at 3:08pm
Not sure why you feel so victimized - if you really weren’t trying to imply anything else in your initial post then I think we can agree it was a pretty pointless contribution to the discussion - clearly stating the obvious. If there was something else you were trying to say with the post, then feel free to elaborate. 

If English is your first language and you can’t see why your post was interpreted by several people to mean you doubt Liu Juan’s chances of international success, then...

Date Posted: 09/12/2019 at 10:19am

Just to clarify, I'm saying there's the possibility of going one step further than what USA's Wang Chen did in 2008 (QF). If fortunate enough not to meet China early and a good draw, she would have to beat someone like Miu Hirano or Kasumi to get to a semifinal ensuring at least a shot at bronze. And let's not forget that Juan Liu is a very experienced ex-CNT player. No one heard of Kim Hyang Mi before she won a silver medal in singles at the 2004 Athens Olympics. Even though the probability is low, surprises do happen.

Posted By: kindof99
Date Posted: 09/12/2019 at 10:53am
To be honest, I don't see much chance for Juan Liu either. 

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Date Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:07am
Agree. I hope Juan Liu can play Kanak or Nikil to see if she is 2700 level or not.
USATT rating is much more accurate than ITTF ranking. 

Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

To be honest, I don't see much chance for Juan Liu either. 

Date Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:08am

Hi,

Thanks,

Before the OP's thread got jacked as usual 🥴

Lily is consistently in the top 3 in USA and top 5 in NA, she will/should make the team unless she gets "upset" by the likes of an Amy or Crystal but your question will be answered in a few weeks from now.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/12/2019 at 11:21am

Hi,

Thanks,

Lily is consistently in the top 3 in USA and top 5 in NA, she will/should make the team unless she gets "upset" by the likes of an Amy or Crystal but your question will be answered in a few weeks from now.
Are you referring to the North American Team Trial to be held on October 5?  That's a USA vs. Canada who gets to qualify a team trial (... no individual player gets a spot on an Olympic team for USA).  That's a few weeks away.  The USA Olympic Trial (which is what it is called if USA wins the teams) will be on Feb 28, 2020 (more than a few weeks away).

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Are you referring to the North American Team Trial to be held on October 5?  That's a USA vs. Canada who gets to qualify a team trial (... no individual player gets a spot on an Olympic team for USA).  That's a few weeks away.  The USA Olympic Trial (which is what it is called if USA wins the teams) will be on Feb 28, 2020 (more than a few weeks away).

i am going by this...

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Table_Tennis/Images/News/04-19/How-to-Make-the-2020-United-States-Olympic-Table-Tennis-Team-draft-v2-04-07-2019.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Table_Tennis/Images/News/04-19/How-to-Make-the-2020-United-States-Olympic-Table-Tennis-Team-draft-v2-04-07-2019.pdf

"We can send a full team of three athletes, either men or women or both, by winning the 2019
ITTF North American Olympic Team Qualification (October 5, 2019) or through the 2020 ITTF
World Team Qualification (January 21-26, 2020). The first is likely easier, because all we have
to do is beat Canada in a team match. That’s not to dismiss Canada, only to say that the second
qualification event will include every other country in the world that doesn’t have a full team
yet. So we could do this either way, beating Canada or taking on a bunch of other countries for
a limited number of extra team positions the ITTF will offer."

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 9:36am

Hi,

Thanks,

i am going by this...

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Table_Tennis/Images/News/04-19/How-to-Make-the-2020-United-States-Olympic-Table-Tennis-Team-draft-v2-04-07-2019.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Table_Tennis/Images/News/04-19/How-to-Make-the-2020-United-States-Olympic-Table-Tennis-Team-draft-v2-04-07-2019.pdf

"We can send a full team of three athletes, either men or women or both, by winning the 2019
ITTF North American Olympic Team Qualification (October 5, 2019) or through the 2020 ITTF
World Team Qualification (January 21-26, 2020). The first is likely easier, because all we have
to do is beat Canada in a team match. That’s not to dismiss Canada, only to say that the second
qualification event will include every other country in the world that doesn’t have a full team
yet. So we could do this either way, beating Canada or taking on a bunch of other countries for
a limited number of extra team positions the ITTF will offer."

Right, that emphasizes what I mentioned above.  If we beat Canada, we get to send a full team of three to the Olympics, but it does not guarantee Lily(Edit: or anyone else for that matter) a spot on the team which is what is in question.

Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 9:45am
How is the team that will play against Canada decided? Has it been decided already?

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

How is the team that will play against Canada decided? Has it been decided already?
Don't know, but I think for the women, any combination of Juan Liu, Lily Zhang, Amy Wang, Wu Yue, and Crystal Wang would win over Canada.  The men will be a tougher to decide... obviously Kanak will be there.  Kai and Nikhil should be there.  But I want to reiterate that playing at the Team Trials in October does not guarantee a place on the team.  If we keep the current selection procedure, it's: highest world ranking, winner of the Singles Trial on Feb 28 2020, and discretionary selection.

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:02am

• North American Team Qualification, Rockford, Illinois (USA): 5 Oct

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:10am

Don't know, but I think for the women, any combination of Juan Liu, Lily Zhang, Amy Wang, Wu Yue, and Crystal Wang would win over Canada.  The men will be a tougher to decide... obviously Kanak will be there.  Kai and Nikhil should be there.  But I want to reiterate that playing at the Team Trials in October does not guarantee a place on the team.  If we keep the current selection procedure, it's: highest world ranking, winner of the Singles Trial on Feb 28 2020, and discretionary selection.

USA's women team will win over the Canadians, Canadian men's team have Eugene but i think Kai this time around has a good shot at him, Jeremy is somewhat of an unknown right now **i'd say 50/50, Marko has not proven himself in competition against the USA recently.

i would think USATT would send for the women's team Lily, Wu and Juan at TEAMS...then there will be openings for Crystal, Amy and the other Amy at "Singles Qualification" and "Mixed Dbls"...you can also add Rachel Sung into the mix.

-------------
*sigh*

Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:11am

• North American Team Qualification, Rockford, Illinois (USA): 5 Oct

Is this not the event of USA vs Canada? I'm curious how the USA team is decided that will be able to play in this event.

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 10:13am
...sorry i posted my opinions too slow it's above your post

**your current HPD Sean could also change up the process so, there's that too to be confused about.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 11:38am

USA's women team will win over the Canadians, Canadian men's team have Eugene but i think Kai this time around has a good shot at him, Jeremy is somewhat of an unknown right now **i'd say 50/50, Marko has not proven himself in competition against the USA recently.

i would think USATT would send for the women's team Lily, Wu and Juan at TEAMS...then there will be openings for Crystal, Amy and the other Amy at "Singles Qualification" and "Mixed Dbls"...you can also add Rachel Sung into the mix.

Since teams is a best of 5, Canada needs three matches.  Even if Eugene wins 2, Canada will still struggle to get another 1 as Hazin is not beating Kanak or Nikhil.  And the US is getting reinforcements too, as Xin Zhou and Jishan Liang will be in the mix given that this is an Olympics cycle.  I just don't see what Canada really has an option here.

-------------
Carbonado 145

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 3:31pm
I agreed Nextlevel, we (Canada) don't even stand a chance at mix doubles teams. As much as i support my Canadians, the REALITY is we cannot compete against the Americans ...the "politics" here is even worse than the USA's and we're not even choosing from a talent pool as vast as America's.

that said, i will still support and cheer on my fellow Canadians.

One thing i want to add and it's going to most likely start again... Wink

Juan Liu, it was unfair/callous of me to name her to "The Team" earlier because she is fairly new to the USATT rankings not based on her abilities but "timing of reintroduction of her competing again"...just selecting by the USATT ranking list she should not be on any team unless by a committee (made up of whomever is deemed knowledable) selection or by a team trial event(s).

I say that because there are others who have worked extremely hard and their parents have put in LOADS of money to get them there, so regardless of abilities and if solely based on rankings...she should not be an "automatic pick" and go thru a trial event(s) to be selected.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 3:47pm
Here it comes again. First he claims he has no meaning behind his sentence. Then he self-corrects his inside meaning. He now says Juan is good player, but not a qualified player. Do you know why she didn't play this year's National? She thought she was unqualified so no interest to join games. Last year, she said clearly that she wants to join olympics when she won both US national and US open.Then ITTF rules changed her qualification. Then she starts to play. There is a whole article about that. 

By USATT rating, she is highest women player in US, only below two national male players.Why not? Olympics is not selecting person who spent most money. The best player in the country should go. 

ITTF ranking is a joke. Basically if you have money, joined so many ITTF events. You can reach top 100 eventually. But a lot of regular person don't have money. Even they are good, but they don't have any ITTF ranking.

Juan Liu, it was unfair/callous of me to name her to "The Team" earlier because she is fairly new to the USATT rankings not based on her abilities but "timing of reintroduction of her competing again"...just selecting by the USATT ranking list she should not be on any team unless by a committee (made up of whomever is deemed knowledable) selection or by a team trial event(s).

I say that because there are others who have worked extremely hard and their parents have put in LOADS of money to get them there, so regardless of abilities and if solely based on rankings...she should not be an "automatic pick" and go thru a trial event(s) to be selected.

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Here it comes again. First he claims he has no meaning behind his sentence. Then he self-corrects his inside meaning. He now says Juan is good player, but not a qualified player. Do you know why she didn't play this year's National? She thought she was unqualified so no interest to join games. Last year, she said clearly that she wants to join olympics when she won both US national and US open.Then ITTF rules changed her qualification. Then she starts to play. There is a whole article about that. 

By USATT rating, she is highest women player in US, only below two national male players.Why not? Olympics is not selecting person who spent most money. The best player in the country should go. 

ITTF ranking is a joke. Basically if you have money, joined so many ITTF events. You can reach top 100 eventually. But a lot of regular person don't have money. Even they are good, but they don't have any ITTF ranking.

i was referring the my post at 10:10am but i urge you to re-read what i posted (in here again) before getting mad at me for...??? I have not changed my mind on anything except for mentioning her "as part of the team to be at Teams  Also the rankings i am referring to are the USATT's Confused

I also did not say she should not be part of the TeamClap

this is the current TTTeam USA female National group, Juan Li is not in there
  https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/team-usa/2019-ttteamusa-female-national-team-group" rel="nofollow - https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/team-usa/2019-ttteamusa-female-national-team-group

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/13/2019 at 4:14pm
I am neither for or against any player, just like some of you trying to make sense of the selection process but apparently some of you have something to gain by getting angry at me for favouring/not favouring a player. This thread is about Lily or did i read the headings wrong?

This is all i have to say ...this thread is just polluted with people with personal feelings to certain players and clearly do not want to discuss Lily's route to the Olympics...you know you can start your own thread.

-------------
*sigh*

Date Posted: 09/14/2019 at 12:16am

I am neither for or against any player, just like some of you trying to make sense of the selection process but apparently some of you have something to gain by getting angry at me for favouring/not favouring a player. This thread is about Lily or did i read the headings wrong?

This is all i have to say ...this thread is just polluted with people with personal feelings to certain players and clearly do not want to discuss Lily's route to the Olympics...you know you can start your own thread.
I'd say Lily's chances are quite good.  She's the 2nd highest USATT rated female player in the USA.  I've already detailed her http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86731&PID=1077329&title=lily-and-the-2020-olympics#1077329" rel="nofollow - race with Wu Yue for highest world ranking in this thread .  And if it comes down to discretionary selection, she's the winner of the Pan Am Championships, was a quarter finalist at the Slovenia Open and did better than Wu Yue at the Adult Ranking tournament.  So I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Lily in Tokyo.

Posted By: Lightspin
Date Posted: 09/14/2019 at 3:04pm
I think everything depends on the selection criteria they use.  If they go with the current method of highest international rating, win the trials and coaches pick then it might be tough.  Wu Yue will have the highest international rating.  Li Juan, baring some miracle, should win the trials unless some dark horse comes out of the woodwork which probably won't happen.  Then there is the coach's pick.  I think Amy beat Lily they last time they played and Amy is younger so maybe they go with Amy. 

If they changes the selection and the top 3 in the trials go to the Olympics, I think he chances for making the team are better.  Li Juan will probably win the first spot on day one.  Lily would have really good odds on winning day two or day three.  It is hard to envision a scenario where she has two off days and doesn't win on one of those days.  

Date Posted: 09/14/2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

I think everything depends on the selection criteria they use.  If they go with the current method of highest international rating, win the trials and coaches pick then it might be tough.  Wu Yue will have the highest international rating.  Li Juan, baring some miracle, should win the trials unless some dark horse comes out of the woodwork which probably won't happen.  Then there is the coach's pick.  I think Amy beat Lily they last time they played and Amy is younger so maybe they go with Amy. 

If they changes the selection and the top 3 in the trials go to the Olympics, I think he chances for making the team are better.  Li Juan will probably win the first spot on day one.  Lily would have really good odds on winning day two or day three.  It is hard to envision a scenario where she has two off days and doesn't win on one of those days.  
Lily is within 25 points of Jennifer if you look at only 2019.  Remember that the 2018 points will have expired by the time they make the selection. So if Lily makes a good push to the finish line, she definitely can win the world ranking race. Discretionary selection is not just one head to head match. International results matter(Lily has the advantage here over everyone)  and the trials results do as well.

Date Posted: 09/15/2019 at 10:37am
Lily has great chance to be selected. I think Amy Wang has little chance to be selected. Basically only 3 out of 4 potential candidates (Juan, Lily, Jeniffer and Amy) can be selected. Hope selection will be open and fair and only best players go to olympics.

Date Posted: 09/15/2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Lily has great chance to be selected. I think Amy Wang has little chance to be selected. Basically only 3 out of 4 potential candidates (Juan, Lily, Jeniffer and Amy) can be selected. Hope selection will be open and fair and only best players go to olympics.
If Wu Yue wins the world ranking race, then yes, Amy has little chance.  If Lily wins the ranking race, then Amy has a decent case for being selected.  She did better than Wu Yue at the Adult ranking tournament (one of the discretionary selection criteria) ... 4-2 vs. 3-3 respectively.  Looking at Wu Yue's 2019 results, I don't see anything impressive other than her win vs. Bruna Takahashi at the Pan Am Cup.  Amy has a win over future Chinese star Kuai Man and had FTW on the ropes at the WTTC.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net