Print Page | Close Window

Blade Advice Please.

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87302
Printed Date: 03/29/2024 at 7:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Blade Advice Please.
Posted By: anongpong
Subject: Blade Advice Please.
Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 12:51am
Hello everyone... My name is anong... and I'm an ej... I'm new to posting but I have been reading along for quite some time. 

I have a question regarding blade choice. I like to loop on both sides and I wish I could drive more but I play a lot of tricky spin oriented and pips players... So generally, I just kind of safely loop open up most shots and get stuck in rallies just safe looping their chops and spins... So my solution was to get a more control oriented blade so I could loop drive a lot more. I've been using Viscaria and some other high end carbon blades with tenergy/mx-p/r-47 etc... for quite a while now. 

So.... I've been browsing this forum for very popular, affordable wood blades and they include, the clipper, force pro black, fextra, dj fly, w6 etc... Well, I recently got the dj fly with some of their chinese rubbers and I'm very pleased. Problem is I want even more control... I have no problem generating power.... what to do?

I'm thinking about going to the next class of affordable wood blades and they include... Fuga, yinhe e-1, persson powerplay, and gambler instinct.. (Of course I may be missing some good ones... feel free to advise)... but my thinking is that these thinner, flexier blades (with chinese rubbers) will give me the ability to safely drive more... IDK. I obviously know that I need to read the ball better... But will this blade change give me even a little better chance at landing more loop drives? 

Much Thanks!
Anong

-------------
Ej still looking for his perfect setup...

Replies:
Posted By: Stavros
Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 4:38am
All you need is a good 5-ply all wood blade. 

https://revspin.net/blade/yasaka-ma-lin-extra-offensive.html" rel="nofollow - Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive
or
https://revspin.net/blade/stiga-infinity-vps-v-diamond-touch.html" rel="nofollow - Stiga Infinity VPS V Diamond Touch

-------------
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05

Posted By: bars
Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 4:59am
bty joo se hyuk

!! def blade

Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 1:56pm
Hey! Thanks for your replies guys!

Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

1.) So Stavros, are you saying thinner and flexier doesn't really mean more safety for loop drives? 

Originally posted by bars bars wrote:

bty joo se hyuk
2.) Bars, I didn't know "def blades" were good for inverted loop/drives. Smile That being said... I wouldn't put that in the "affordable" wood blades category... I suppose I didn't do a very good job specifying that.

Thanks again for advise, I'll be mulling it over.
All feedback is appreciated.Handshake

-------------

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 2:54pm
If you have not hit with a W6 yet I would suggest you try borrow one for a few hits.  My memory of using one fits right in with what you want.  I kept chipping the edges by hitting table when serving so I switched to a really cheap blade because I was going through so many.   When I switched to short pips on Bh I wanted something stiffer and faster so never went back to W6.

Mark

Posted By: GMan4911
Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by anongpong anongpong wrote:

Problem is I want even more control... I have no problem generating power.... what to do?
Improve your technique?  Focus on getting more spin out of your stroke instead of power.  More spin causes the ball to dip faster which enables you to land more loops.  

Depending on the level of your opponents, some can handle power loops better than spinny loops or vice versa. If you can do both then you can tailor your tactics accordingly.

-------------
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max

Posted By: Hozuki
Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 9:41pm

So.... I've been browsing this forum for very popular, affordable wood blades and they include, the clipper, force pro black, fextra, dj fly, w6 etc... Well, I recently got the dj fly with some of their chinese rubbers and I'm very pleased. Problem is I want even more control... I have no problem generating power.... what to do?

this litterally screams for a powerplay. lol

Date Posted: 12/05/2019 at 11:20pm
Thank you for your replies!

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

If you have not hit with a W6 yet I would suggest you try borrow one for a few hits.  My memory of using one fits right in with what you want. 
Mark
1.) Hey Mark, nice to meet you. I have read only good things about the w-6... I just looked into it and this whole time I thought it was a 7 ply... but it's actually a thin 5 ply! Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely consider it.

Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Improve your technique?  Focus on getting more spin out of your stroke instead of power.
2.) Hey Gman. You're right, I definitely need to improve my technique... In the meantime, most of the players I play are, "tricky spin type players" and I end up safely looping(spinning) balls to them(I fail at reading their spins so I don't drive more). Also, slow spinny loops is a comfortable part of their game. Much appreciate your input.

Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

3.) Hi Hozuki. Are you talking about the Persson powerplay? Also, are you affirming that thinner, flexier blades give more control/safety for loop drives? Thank you so much!

Again i say, all feedback is appreciated!Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 6:06am
I´ve played with Persson Powerplay for a long time. It´s the most controlled 7-ply blade I know.
It behaves like a 5-ply when playing passively (chops and blocks) with mild touch but much less vibration. 
When hit hard it definitely generates more power than a traditional 5-ply. 
Mine came with 87g and 5.9mm, in my opinion it was the best 7-ply blade I´ve had, better than Clipper, P700, Ludeack, Septear and Extrem S.

Posted By: Stavros
Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 8:17am

Hey! Thanks for your replies guys!

Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

1.) So Stavros, are you saying thinner and flexier doesn't really mean more safety for loop drives? 

[QUOTE=bars]bty joo se hyuk

Very thin and very flexy blade means small sweet spot, generally speaking. Not a good thing!

-------------
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05

Posted By: fmarek
Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 9:32am
I am selling new Butterfly Primorac Off- 5ply. Very cheap. I know this does not sound like advice however one seeking more control cannot go wrong with this classic model.

-------------
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1

Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 9:47am
You can't get any more control than this.  And it qualifies as affordable.  If you have no problem generating your own power ...

https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-sweden-classic-new" rel="nofollow - https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-sweden-classic-new

Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 10:13am

3.) Hi Hozuki. Are you talking about the Persson powerplay? Also, are you affirming that thinner, flexier blades give more control/safety for loop drives? Thank you so much!

Yes, I am talking about that blade. But no, I would not say that a thinner a more flexible blade would enhance control on loop drives. However, a non-carbon blade with more feeling can help.
I recommended the PP because of the things I boldfaced in the citation of your original requirements.

Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´ve played with Persson Powerplay for a long time. It´s the most controlled 7-ply blade I know.
It behaves like a 5-ply when playing passively (chops and blocks) with mild touch but much less vibration. 
Mine came with 87g and 5.9mm, in my opinion it was the best 7-ply blade I´ve had, better than Clipper, P700, Ludeack, Septear and Extrem S.

Can't agree more. Btw, if I ever want to sacrifice some control for a bit more speed, is there a similar blade you would recommend?

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 10:43am

Can't agree more. Btw, if I ever want to sacrifice some control for a bit more speed, is there a similar blade you would recommend?
Maybe Nittaku Adelie, it looks like the old version of Clipper, with 6.2mm.
However, I´ve never tested it.

Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:12pm
Thanks everyone for your replies and considerations. 
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

I am selling new Butterfly Primorac Off- 5ply.
Thanks fmarek. I just feel more comfortable buying from the stores. I read good things about the Primorac and Korbel as well as the Acoustic and Violin. They're just a little pricey. So thanks again for your generous offer. 

It seems the general consensus is just to get a good,controlled 5 ply wood blade or the Persson Powerplay. Why do there have to be so many options? Confused I wish I could try them all.

So far.... What I've gathered is... That those in need of an affordable blade with more control for loop drives should get a MEO, W-6, Sweden classic, or Persson powerplay. Also, there's no real correlation between more control on loop drives and thinner, flexy blades. 

I'm kind of surprised to hear that thinner and flexy(like fuga or p500) = less sweet spot and not better for controlled driving. 

If anyone has anything to add, feel free as I'll be mulling this over for a bit and still testing my dj fly(which is actually very nice but maybe too powerful for my skill level).

Thanks again!Hug

-------------

Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:15pm

Maybe Nittaku Adelie, it looks like the old version of Clipper, with 6.2mm.
However, I´ve never tested it.

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind if I see anyone use it, as I always try before I buy.

Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:23pm

Thanks everyone for your replies and considerations. 

I am selling new Butterfly Primorac Off- 5ply.
Thanks fmarek. I just feel more comfortable buying from the stores. I read good things about the Primorac and Korbel as well as the Acoustic and Violin. They're just a little pricey. So thanks again for your generous offer. 

It seems the general consensus is just to get a good,controlled 5 ply wood blade or the Persson Powerplay. Why do there have to be so many options? Confused I wish I could try them all.

So far.... What I've gathered is... That those in need of an affordable blade with more control for loop drives should get a MEO, W-6, Sweden classic, or Persson powerplay. Also, there's no real correlation between more control on loop drives and thinner, flexy blades. 

I'm kind of surprised to hear that thinner and flexy(like fuga or p500) = less sweet spot and not better for controlled driving. 

If anyone has anything to add, feel free as I'll be mulling this over for a bit and still testing my dj fly(which is actually very nice but maybe too powerful for my skill level).

Thanks again!Hug

Maybe you should find out what your preferred stiffness and hardness is. I find this to be the most important thing in any blade, as for me it determines control.
Too soft/stiff = too much bounce, too little power on hard shots
Too hard/too flexy = too little bounce, extreme difference between soft and hard shots
PP is rather hard and not so thick, so it does not have a lot of bounce (much less than other 7ply), but the high gear is just as fast due to more flex and higher hardness.

Tweaking these parameters isn't easy, and varies from person to Persson (lol)

Posted By: GMan4911
Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:44pm
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic87296_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic87296_page1.html

-------------
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max

Posted By: Dream1700
Date Posted: 12/06/2019 at 2:44pm
Adelle looks very different from most blades, not just other 7-ply blades: 
https://ttgearlab.com/2017/02/16/samsonov-force-pro-black-edition-vs-some-7-ply-wood-blades-comparison/" rel="nofollow - https://ttgearlab.com/2017/02/16/samsonov-force-pro-black-edition-vs-some-7-ply-wood-blades-comparison/

Posted By: ericd937
Date Posted: 12/07/2019 at 3:07am
Just my two cents. I saw some recommendations for W6. I tried that blade several years ago and I don't know how anyone could play with that blade. It captures all the incoming energy and has a really weird dead feel. It was one of my least favorite blades I've ever tried. If you want a really controlled blade, you could try something like Xiom Aigis or even one of the Donic Dotec blades. I played with Xiom Aigis when I was like 1200 to 1500 level. Its a good blade with tons of control and it isn't that slow. W6 was slower. 

-------------
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 12/07/2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Just my two cents. I saw some recommendations for W6. I tried that blade several years ago and I don't know how anyone could play with that blade. It captures all the incoming energy and has a really weird dead feel. It was one of my least favorite blades I've ever tried. If you want a really controlled blade, you could try something like Xiom Aigis or even one of the Donic Dotec blades. I played with Xiom Aigis when I was like 1200 to 1500 level. Its a good blade with tons of control and it isn't that slow. W6 was slower. 

W6 blocks slow which is good  but if you have the arm speed it will snap.

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Date Posted: 12/07/2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Hey Cole... Do you have any of the yinhe e-1 or e-3? I know in the past you said you have some blades available that aren't listed on your site. Or do you have have any insights into these blades? Compared to the w-6 or other wood blades you carry for instance? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on any blade that will increase one's chances of landing loop drives... I get so tired of doing slower spinny and safe open ups. Embarrassed

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: 12/07/2019 at 1:53pm

Maybe you should find out what your preferred stiffness and hardness is. I find this to be the most important thing in any blade, as for me it determines control.

Tweaking these parameters isn't easy, and varies from person to Persson (lol)

Thanks! Yah, it's not too easy to figure out what works best for me at this stage of my table tennis journey. You really are good at selling that "Persson" blade, though... even with humor. LOL
It's definitely on my list now. 

Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic87296_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic87296_page1.html  

Those OSP blades look fantastic. I'm sure they are worth the price, but it's just a little too pricey for me personally.

Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

If you want a really controlled blade, you could try something like Xiom Aigis or even one of the Donic Dotec blades.

Thanks for the input. I haven't even heard of those blades. I'll definitely look into it.

-------------

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 12/08/2019 at 3:21pm

Hey Cole... Do you have any of the yinhe e-1 or e-3? I know in the past you said you have some blades available that aren't listed on your site. Or do you have have any insights into these blades? Compared to the w-6 or other wood blades you carry for instance? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on any blade that will increase one's chances of landing loop drives... I get so tired of doing slower spinny and safe open ups. Embarrassed

Thanks!

I have the one that's the yellow violin copy.  I think that's e3

I think you would like one of these two Swedish made globe blades or just anything Euro limba.  Stiga off classic type.  

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Date Posted: 12/12/2019 at 11:03pm

I think you would like one of these two Swedish made globe blades or just anything Euro limba.  Stiga off classic type.  

Hey Cole. Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. 

Which two Swedish made globe blades are you referring to? Is it the Yinhe e-1 and e-3, or maybe something else? 

Thanks again!

-------------

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 12/14/2019 at 1:46pm
Covering fifty years of tournament play I found the perfect blade for me. A BTY Peter Korbel does everything very well. I like the ST handle due to it's size. A great allround/offensive blade that can produce speed, spin, control with a variety of rubber types. An important aspect of the Korbel is that it has several gears for a myriad of shots. A true classic. Can't go wrong with it unless a player is a beginner. Korbel has excellent feedback and nice dwell to produce perfect loops. Thick enough to block well and even chops well away from table. Try it...you will thank me.

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Date Posted: 12/14/2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Covering fifty years of tournament play I found the perfect blade for me. A BTY Peter Korbel does everything very well. I like the ST handle due to it's size. A great allround/offensive blade that can produce speed, spin, control with a variety of rubber types. An important aspect of the Korbel is that it has several gears for a myriad of shots. A true classic. Can't go wrong with it unless a player is a beginner. Korbel has excellent feedback and nice dwell to produce perfect loops. Thick enough to block well and even chops well away from table. Try it...you will thank me.

In general I agree. For more control might consider thinner Primorac but it takes time to feel the difference.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/15/2019 at 2:11am

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Covering fifty years of tournament play I found the perfect blade for me. A BTY Peter Korbel

In general I agree. For more control might consider thinner Primorac but it takes time to feel the difference.

Thanks for your replies! Unfortunately, around $40 is my max budget for an all wood blade(That's my fault for not clarifying earlier). I must find a Peter Korbel clone maybe? :)

-------------

Date Posted: 12/15/2019 at 2:35am
My Primorac can be yours. It is listed in Sale section on this forum for 35

Why bother with clones if you can get real one. Anyway there must be good clones out there too.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/18/2019 at 11:14pm

My Primorac can be yours. It is listed in Sale section on this forum for 35

Why bother with clones if you can get real one. Anyway there must be good clones out there too.

Hey fmarek! Thanks a lot for the consideration and offer. I really would like to try that blade. I'm just not comfortable buying unless it's in person or an actual online store. Sorry bout that, and sorry for the late reply!

I'm still a bit up in the air on which blade(s) I should try. There's so many options and things to consider... like hardness,composition, thickness, flex, rubber combinations etc. etc.. Confused 

I knew I wanted to be able to loop drive with cheaper chinese rubbers instead of just slower looping. I think I finally understand that I favor a more crisp feel (either from koto or harder outer ply), than a softer limba feeling blade. This is something I never even thought to consider before.  I'm a bit of a slow learner at times. Approve

Thanks again.

-------------

Posted By: Kontra
Date Posted: 12/19/2019 at 4:40pm
Xiom Offensive S
It's not far away from Korbel and it's 39.99$ :)

Posted By: trumpet_guy
Date Posted: 12/19/2019 at 9:27pm

Stiga Azalea Allround.

Then when you are ready for a faster blade, go to the Azalea Offensive.

Date Posted: 12/21/2019 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Kontra Kontra wrote:

Xiom Offensive S
It's not far away from Korbel and it's 39.99$ :)

Yes, I've heard great things about this one. Thank you friend. 
Do you know if this is limba, limba, ayous? or limba ayous ayous?
"The database of table tennis blades composition" seems to say its limba ayous ayous just like the azalea all around. The forum consensus seems to be that it's limba, limba, ayous like the Korbel. Just curious.

Originally posted by trumpet_guy trumpet_guy wrote:

Stiga Azalea Allround.

Then when you are ready for a faster blade, go to the Azalea Offensive.

Thank you Trumpet_guy. Seems like a great 5 ply blade. Limba, ayous ayous . That pink though. Where I'm from, I couldn't. Please don't judge me. ErmmSmile

-------------

Posted By: Kontra
Date Posted: 12/21/2019 at 9:22am
Xiom Offensive S
Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba

Posted By: 3 steps ahead
Date Posted: 12/22/2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Kontra Kontra wrote:

Xiom Offensive S
Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba

I am surprised too see this composition as Offensive S is recommended as Korbel clone in numerous threads, this  makes it more similar to Stiga Offensive Classic?

Date Posted: 12/22/2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by 3 steps ahead 3 steps ahead wrote:

I am surprised too see this composition as Offensive S is recommended as Korbel clone in numerous threads, this  makes it more similar to Stiga Offensive Classic?

I actually saw someone else point this out, which is why I wanted to ask around. Many people say it plays very much like the Korbel. Very interesting. Also, I think Stiga offensive classic is Limba-spruce-ayous but the stiga all around classic is limba- ayous-ayous. I guess thickness and maybe build quality are the real differentiators here.

-------------

Posted By: doraemon
Date Posted: 12/22/2019 at 10:03pm
No, Xiom Offensive S is limba - limba - ayous - limba - limba.   I am certain of it.

It has that distinct "sharper" feel compared to limba - ayous (3x) - limba blades, such as:
Persson Powerallround (~6 mm)
Allround Evolution (~6 mm) and
Samsonov Premium Contact (~ 6mm).

-------------
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber

Posted By: doraemon
Date Posted: 12/22/2019 at 10:05pm
Blades with similar composition (but different thickness) with Korbel are:

Adidas Challenge Force (now under brand name ITC)
Offensive S
Joola K5
Stratus Powerwood
and off course, Primorac Off-

-------------
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber

Date Posted: 12/23/2019 at 7:18am
Given that you are not confused enough, let me confuse you more with this fact - 

you know how we all say that koto has a crisp feel while limba has soft feel. This is true. No, wait. This was true until Stiga came up with Celero blade. I played Viscaria (ZJK ALC) - koto and I played limba (primorac, fextra). Celero is limba, but it is thin and second layer under limba is "some hardened dried wood". So, guess what - it is crisp no less than koto, but unlike koto Celero has loooooooooooooooooong dwell time. Here you go, now you are confused. Welcome.

-------------

Date Posted: 12/24/2019 at 1:05am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

No, Xiom Offensive S is limba - limba - ayous - limba - limba.   I am certain of it.
Thanks a lot for the heads up Doraemon. I need to go edit my "5 ply and why?!" thread now. 

... Celero is limba, but it is thin and second layer under limba is "some hardened dried wood". So, guess what - it is crisp no less than koto, but unlike koto Celero has loooooooooooooooooong dwell time...

That's actually some great information fmarek. Sounds like a winner to me! I've noticed Celero getting some real attention online as well. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12/24/2019 at 1:11am
While classic blades are confirmed by many players (primorac, korbel, viscaria and etc), celero is not that popular. I totally like it, but my friend liked only handle and did not like the "feel". 

Another friend liked outright and was playing pretty consistently given that it was not his racket.

So whatever you are getting make sure that you calculate weight of final racket and then order blade to your desired weight.

-------------

Posted By: Ray
Date Posted: 12/24/2019 at 2:06am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Blades with similar composition (but different thickness) with Korbel are:

Adidas Challenge Force (now under brand name ITC)
Offensive S
Joola K5
Stratus Powerwood
and off course, Primorac Off-

OSP Virtuoso
OSP Virtuoso+
Donic Waldner Senso V1 and V2
Donic Appelgren Allplay
Donic Persson Powerallround
Gewo Zoom Pro Off- and probably
Andro Novacell Off

have similar if not the same composition.

-------------
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
https://fb.me/spinnier" rel="nofollow - fb.me/spinnier

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net