Print Page | Close Window

Triangle Club.

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: This forum is for general discussions about table tennis.
Moderator: NextLevel
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87473
Printed Date: 04/21/2021 at 1:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Triangle Club.
Posted By: Vince64
Subject: Triangle Club.
Date Posted: 01/01/2020 at 9:34pm
Just curious now that the club is now called Triangle Badminton & Table Tennis club how many table tennis tables do they still have set up for playing? 

-------------
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185



Replies:
Posted By: Vince64
Date Posted: 01/03/2020 at 12:08pm
Is there not anyone here who plays at the Triangle club anymore? 

-------------
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185


Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 01/03/2020 at 12:22pm
i heard about 25 tables although the badminton is not fully set up yet so it might be less once that happens.  The tables are closer together, playing far from the table is no longer possible so this would favor players that play close to the table (although these players will lose the experience of players against players who play far from the table).


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/05/2020 at 9:43am
Some of my friends drive there to play during weekends from time to time,
but not anymore.


Posted By: mentortt
Date Posted: 01/05/2020 at 10:20am
Is Cary Cup no more this year?


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/05/2020 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Is Cary Cup no more this year?
===================================
Trying to find out the answer to your question, instead it was found that this website is no longer working at this moment:   http://www.triangletabletennis.com/" rel="nofollow - www.triangletabletennis.com

 



Posted By: Charlie Brown
Date Posted: 01/05/2020 at 11:33pm
There is no Cary Cup2020 or Triangle Club listed under the tournament schedule on the USATT site.

-------------
*sigh*


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/06/2020 at 9:14am
Annual Cary Cup is a big event, as Charlie Brown found out that it is not even listed at this moment.
Then this site is not working:   http://www.triangletabletennis.com/" rel="nofollow - www.triangletabletennis.com
  
Something is going on with the Triangle TT Club.
     


Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 01/06/2020 at 10:53am
All speculations ofc:

They probably changed their hosting plan. I suppose they plan to incorporate the fact that the facility does something else in addition to table tennis. The domain name might go all together or just point to a tab on the new website where TT will just be another activity. 

Or tt is "Dead in the triangle", soon in a theater in your neighborhood.
 


-------------
a-few-blades_topic88785_post1106769.html" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback


Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 01/06/2020 at 11:42am
The club's life is in the hands of the badminton market now. They just finished renovations / setup for the 9 badminton courts last week and held the first open free day this last Saturday to promote badminton. The amount of people that showed up was amazing, however there are two other full time badminton clubs in the area already. The chinese investor that is taking over the badminton part of the club is historically successful, we shall see!

There are around 23 TT tables available, and more can be put up in the badminton area if the courts aren't in use.


Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 01/06/2020 at 1:00pm
I heard the other badminton clubs have huge wait lists so I'd imagine they should be able to fill 9 courts.

But since there are less table tennis tables a tournament like cary cup will probably have to be smaller.


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 8:49am
TTT is hosting "2020 Joola Feb Giant RR" on Feb 1, only 4 players entered. (a 2-star tourney.)
https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587" rel="nofollow - https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587

While Cape Fear, Feb 15, no star - has 6 players entered.

TTT sure looks pretty bad.






Posted By: mycuzinvinny
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 9:15am
And three of them work there.  I hope we find out more about TTT shortly.

TTT did have a December RR event and it was fairly attended.  Would like to know more about Cary Cup, but don't believe we will have one this year.

I am playing cape fear, should be fun.


-------------
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)


Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 9:45am
Many years ago my TT club started to share space with a fencing club.  It did not end well for TT.


Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Many years ago my TT club started to share space with a fencing club.  It did not end well for TT.

Let me guess, during first confrontation you quickly discovered that your paddles are not very good at blocking their attacks? Tongue


-------------
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX


Posted By: mycuzinvinny
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 10:07am
Yeah, should have taken a sword to the bastards, oh wait...


-------------
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)


Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 10:13am
Fortunately we were not cut to pieces, but the fencing club was so successful they eventually bought the building and kicked us out.


Posted By: Ttunderthesun21
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Fortunately we were not cut to pieces, but the fencing club was so successful they eventually bought the building and kicked us out.

I mean which kid wouldn't trade a paddle for a sword LOL.  Jokes aside, from what I know, Badminton clubs usually garner much more people, and are usually more successful.  A lot more females also play, so that adds to the membership numbers.  


Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

...

There are around 23 TT tables available, and more can be put up in the badminton area if the courts aren't in use.

Am I the only one who thinks 23 is too much? In a sense that you probably don't have enough players to justify that many tables. Heck, Westchester TTC has 19. OK, ICC has 30 (per their website, never visited), but that's a much more established and active club. 


-------------
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX


Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

...

There are around 23 TT tables available, and more can be put up in the badminton area if the courts aren't in use.

Am I the only one who thinks 23 is too much? In a sense that you probably don't have enough players to justify that many tables. Heck, Westchester TTC has 19. OK, ICC has 30 (per their website, never visited), but that's a much more established and active club. 

All the tables were in use Sunday afternoon.  And when there's a tournament you need a lot.  I don't think you can have too many tables.


Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 01/07/2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

...
All the tables were in use Sunday afternoon.  And when there's a tournament you need a lot.  I don't think you can have too many tables.

Glad to hear they have enough traffic - and yes, you can have too many tables, if you are paying for space that is not being utilized. Hope it's not the problem for them. 


-------------
USATT: ~1840
Nittaku Shake Defense - Fastarc G1 - Dtecs OX


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/08/2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

TTT is hosting "2020 Joola Feb Giant RR" on Feb 1, only 4 players entered. (a 2-star tourney.)
https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587" rel="nofollow - https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587
While Cape Fear, Feb 15, no star - has 6 players entered.
TTT sure looks pretty bad.
========================
2020 Joola Feb Giant RR:  Remains at 4 payers entered.  (2-star)
But Cape Fear tourney (2 weeks later):  Now has increased to 8 players.  (0-star)

Still no info about 2020 Cary Cup.
-----------------------------------------
Already announced (and scheduled) tournaments in North Carolina, so far:
No Cary Cup in it.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/events?SearchText=&startDate=&endDate=&zipcode=&Radius=25&RegionId=&StateId=%7BEB43FC57-A1A5-4EF7-A129-B7C3B5930F2D%7D&CountryId=&x=48&y=13" rel="nofollow - https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/events?SearchText=&startDate=&endDate=&zipcode=&Radius=25&RegionId=&StateId=%7BEB43FC57-A1A5-4EF7-A129-B7C3B5930F2D%7D&CountryId=&x=48&y=13



Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 01/09/2020 at 9:32am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

TTT is hosting "2020 Joola Feb Giant RR" on Feb 1, only 4 players entered. (a 2-star tourney.)
https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587" rel="nofollow - https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587
While Cape Fear, Feb 15, no star - has 6 players entered.
TTT sure looks pretty bad.
========================
2020 Joola Feb Giant RR:  Remains at 4 payers entered.  (2-star)
But Cape Fear tourney (2 weeks later):  Now has increased to 8 players.  (0-star)

Still no info about 2020 Cary Cup.
-----------------------------------------
Already announced (and scheduled) tournaments in North Carolina, so far:
No Cary Cup in it.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/events?SearchText=&startDate=&endDate=&zipcode=&Radius=25&RegionId=&StateId=%7BEB43FC57-A1A5-4EF7-A129-B7C3B5930F2D%7D&CountryId=&x=48&y=13" rel="nofollow - https://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-tennis/events?SearchText=&startDate=&endDate=&zipcode=&Radius=25&RegionId=&StateId=%7BEB43FC57-A1A5-4EF7-A129-B7C3B5930F2D%7D&CountryId=&x=48&y=13


If you look at how they setup the tournament. Only prizes for top 4 players, $65 entry will turn off alot of lower players. Also, its U2600 which is blatantly excluding Jishan in regards to the whole anti coaching drama that went down in November. 

Its a bit obvious to most they are trying to get their coaches some $ (the ones someone mentioned are the only ones signed up)


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/11/2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

TTT is hosting "2020 Joola Feb Giant RR" on Feb 1, only 4 players entered. (a 2-star tourney.)
https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587" rel="nofollow - https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1587
While Cape Fear, Feb 15, no star - has 6 players entered.
TTT sure looks pretty bad.
===========================

"2020 Joola Feb Giant RR" on Feb 1, now has 6 players entered. (a 2-star tourney.)  TTT is hosting this one.
While "Cape Fear Open" on Feb 15, now has 16 players entered. (a zero-star tourney.)


Posted By: mycuzinvinny
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 9:40am
TBTT RR now has 7 players, Cape Fear is full with 24.

TBTT is now advertising badminton tourney on omnipong.


-------------
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)


Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 1:11pm
TBTT just posted ANOTHER U2600 GRR in March. I wish Jishan would toss rating points just to join. Would be funny to see what TBTT would do then to keep him out.


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by mycuzinvinny mycuzinvinny wrote:

TBTT RR now has 7 players, Cape Fear is full with 24.
TBTT is now advertising badminton tourney on omnipong.
======================
Can a tournament make money with only 7 players?
The owner of TTT is one of the participants, so only 6 other players entered.

After giving out prize money, the owner can not make much money. (with so few players.)

Cary Cup is a money maker, lots of players - but no Cary Cup this year.


Posted By: Ttunderthesun21
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by mycuzinvinny mycuzinvinny wrote:

TBTT RR now has 7 players, Cape Fear is full with 24.
TBTT is now advertising badminton tourney on omnipong.
======================
Can a tournament make money with only 7 players?
The owner of TTT is one of the participants, so only 6 other players entered.

After giving out prize money, the owner can not make much money. (with so few players.)

Cary Cup is a money maker, lots of players - but no Cary Cup this year.

Cary Cup no more this year?


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Ttunderthesun21 Ttunderthesun21 wrote:

Cary Cup no more this year?
=================

No Cary Cup this year.


Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 4:59pm
Omnipong shows a Cary Cup in New York in May.


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/13/2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Omnipong shows a Cary Cup in New York in May.
================
Interesting.

It shows Cary Cup (Mini), don't know what "Mini" means. May mean it won't have a big crowd.

However, the contact "AJ Carney" is interesting. 
AJ is usually closely associated with "Cary Cup" when it was held in Cary (he might be the guy who actually ran it).  Now AJ is in New York.



Posted By: Ttunderthesun21
Date Posted: 01/14/2020 at 11:02am
Haha I feel like this is a jab from AJ.  I wouldn't be surprised if Micheal sends some legal notice XD.  


Posted By: mycuzinvinny
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 10:19am
New webpage for TTT, now TBTT, just a change of url, same as the old page.

https://trianglebtt.com/" rel="nofollow - https://trianglebtt.com/

They might want to proofread their badminton lesson prices...

Badminton Coaching

Packages purchased online or in person and non-refundable. 

 

Group Lessons $25/90 minutes

Group Lesson Package $100/5 x 90 minutes sessions

Private Lessons $27.50/3 minutes                        <=================== !!!!!!

Annual members receive 5% discount on private lessons.

Premium Members receive 10% discount on private lessons.



-------------
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)


Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 10:28am
I am glad to see that they found a way to make it work and TT is still going strong there.

-------------
a-few-blades_topic88785_post1106769.html" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback


Posted By: mentortt
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 10:42am
It is sad that triangle at one time is biggest club in the county and my favorite. But they are fighting for their survival. For general TT club, the owner or directors should be allowed make decent money and in return they can benefit amateur players. Hope they can recover and still support TT.


Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 11:22am
Entry to the business is easy, but market is niche and tiny... fixed overhead expenses where there is any possible market is nearly cost-prohibitive.

The last place where the TTTC owner started out was similar business environment.

M.L. opened a 12-14 table facility with all red floor and decent lighting and lounge... had taken over a failed Gold's gym. That shoulda been a big warning sign. Dude knew hew pretty much had a year to get 100+ paying members and 20+ taking lessons to make it pay.

That facility he made was easily a top-notch place compared to majority of TT outfits. He had everything in place to make a club hopping - leagues, group lessons, kids camps, hosted world police/fire championships, private lessons, sanctioned tourneys...

He built it, but they didn't come in enough numbers fast enough. M.L. saw the rent figure when he initially opened the place, but didn't consider the other expenses that a Tennent pays... so his fixed overhead was approaching $10,000 a month. He had maybe 70+ members and 10+ taking lessons. It wasn't sustainable.

By the time he was in business there 6 months, he could really see the writing on the wall if the players didn't come. His facility was better than MD TTC in several ways, but critically lacked membership, market, and the big name coaches that drive membership/lessons.

M.L. did some things to increase the cash flow... Membership prices increased. He made some fees for certain things... without more members, it wasn't going to work... and by the time a few more months went by, it was clear that it wouldn't.

I had already paid an annual membership fee up front my first month I arrived and the club was defunct before the end of my membership. Once M.L. got back to private work and made some income, he paid back the remaining balance to me and other members who had annual membership that had time remaining.

This is a typical case of the business risk involved with opening a TT club in USA and why it is so difficult to make TT work in an urban area. If leasing or owning wasn't so ridiculous expensive, we would have way more opportunity for success.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc


Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 11:39am
My Local club, SITTA, in Sacramento, CA... similar situation. 15,000 SqFt facility with 20+ tables... potential to take down a length of wall and add 6 more tables... The club owner owns the building and several other buildings in the area from decades ago when it wasn't so expensive to procure. Those properties generate a lot of money, but the SITTA TTC is a black hole financially.

The fair fixed overhead costs of the facility are $10,000-$15,000 in rent and another $5,000 in other costs (utilities, maintenance, security). So $15-20k a month before staff... that means the club, if membership averages $50 a month and club gets $10 an hour for all coaches doing lessons... that means the club needs 200-300 members and 100 taking lessons for it to break even, if someone else is owning it.

...and the local market is seriously Scrooge-ish. Owner feels the need to offer severely discounted rates for seniors, huge market there. There are MILLIONAIRES at this club and in this region who will wear the same $2 t-shirt and not replace their rubbers for 5 years.

Given that market and not so many foreign parents bringing kids to the club, you can see the club is big-time under pressure to financially perform a mission impossible.

Only an owner who has other businesses that can absorb the financial loss of this club could operate a club of this magnitude for any length of time.

Owner finally got a city permit to continue building the restaurant in front... so when he rents that out, it would help out a lot, but still require a very large membership base.

Sitta will be in operation 2 years in a few months. I didn't ask the owner, but it looks like the club has 100-150 members. Club brought on a top junior coaching coach - Avi… and that helped increase the number of kids taking lessons. The club still needs another 100 members and more taking lessons.

If an individual who did not already have other income tried to open a club of this size here... they would be setup for failure. If rent were $5000, then there would be a chance, but that is nowhere near a reality.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc


Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 11:48am
When I got to Sacramento 3 yrs ago, a new Chinese led club opened up - CALTT.

It was a might dingy, poorly lit (bright/dark/bright right low over table)… too many table too tight together, difficult to see on the wall side of tables, glare... 8 table club.

Yet, there was a market. There were enough Chinese in the area that would take lessons from the 1700-ish LP niece of the owner. They had a dozen + kids take lessons, several adults taking lessons. 50+ members. 2500 SqFt facility. Probably cost $5,000 a month to operate. Had $100 a month membership including weekly group lessons or $60 a month.

She also hosted kid's study in day time.

Looked like owner made enough money to pay the niece a small salary and keep the club alive.

Club was maxed out on room, only way to make more money is to coach more kids and there is a limit to that in the local market for such a club.

Still, that club could have lasted, albeit with the conditions I described. No one in Sacramento had made and lasted as a full time club for decades.

When Sitta started to operate, they lost 20+ members... CALTT was over and that owner pulled out.

Those are the realities of attempting to make a simple business from TT in an urban area. Less urban areas have much lower fixed costs, but unless TT is a school sport or someone figures out how to get garage players to organize, you couldn't generate income enough for 1/2 the operating costs either.

The fixed costs in

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc


Posted By: Ieyasu
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:


...and the local market is seriously Scrooge-ish. Owner feels the need to offer severely discounted rates for seniors, huge market there. There are MILLIONAIRES at this club and in this region who will wear the same $2 t-shirt and not replace their rubbers for 5 years.

Thanks for your detailed posts... although sad to read, it's all so true. Especially the above.  Cracks me-up.  I've heard complaints that one has to pay, at all. 

Especially true about the senior market being a potentially huge one. Pickleball is cleaning up there. That sport can use outdoor parks and indoor community centers. Plus, no need for expensive tables that need to be cared for.

I don't see how TT can ever be big in this country. So much going against it.


Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

When I got to Sacramento 3 yrs ago, a new Chinese led club opened up - CALTT.

It was a might dingy, poorly lit (bright/dark/bright right low over table)… too many table too tight together, difficult to see on the wall side of tables, glare... 8 table club.

Yet, there was a market. There were enough Chinese in the area that would take lessons from the 1700-ish LP niece of the owner. They had a dozen + kids take lessons, several adults taking lessons. 50+ members. 2500 SqFt facility. Probably cost $5,000 a month to operate. Had $100 a month membership including weekly group lessons or $60 a month.

She also hosted kid's study in day time.

Looked like owner made enough money to pay the niece a small salary and keep the club alive.

Club was maxed out on room, only way to make more money is to coach more kids and there is a limit to that in the local market for such a club.

Still, that club could have lasted, albeit with the conditions I described. No one in Sacramento had made and lasted as a full time club for decades.

When Sitta started to operate, they lost 20+ members... CALTT was over and that owner pulled out.

Those are the realities of attempting to make a simple business from TT in an urban area. Less urban areas have much lower fixed costs, but unless TT is a school sport or someone figures out how to get garage players to organize, you couldn't generate income enough for 1/2 the operating costs either.

The fixed costs in

TT clubs are unusually vulnerable to relatively small changes in their environment.


Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 5:20pm
The failed clubs were too large.  The surviving club in BHMan's story was eight tables, until knocked out by the financially doomed too-big club entering the market.  Clubs that find cheap space for five to eight table, with all free family labor plus maybe a  self-sustaining coach can survive in most markets.  12+ table clubs can't.


Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 01/17/2020 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Ieyasu Ieyasu wrote:

Thanks for your detailed posts... although sad to read, it's all so true. Especially the above.  Cracks me-up.  I've heard complaints that one has to pay, at all. 

Especially true about the senior market being a potentially huge one. Pickleball is cleaning up there. That sport can use outdoor parks and indoor community centers. Plus, no need for expensive tables that need to be cared for.

I don't see how TT can ever be big in this country. So much going against it.



The senior community has a huge potential, even if the monthly membership fee is way less... if SITTA could get 100+ seniors there, it could pay. Propblem is, in urban areas, lots of seniors live in senior communities that already have infrastructure and are already organized... at least 2-3x a week for TT right in the neighborhood they live... some nearly every day.

That makes it tough for them to drive 5-30 miles just to do a few hrs of TT.

Michael Levene saw the potential of the organized social TT crowd - MEETUP was a deal to get interested social TTers into league. M.L. was successful in getting a dozen+ a week in league. I never saw a club get that crowd organized in any numbers. Sure, low 10s once a week is not a huge number, but it was a proper effort in the right direction. He was barking up the right tree, but it is difficult to attract players to the club with a bark or even dancing cheerleaders.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/19/2020 at 5:18pm
The monthly rent is too high, $20 K per month.

Membership has been declining.
Profitable tournament, like Cary Cup, stopped.
Newly organized tournaments attracting few entries - a dozen or less.

Interesting to see if TTT club can survive until the end of this year.




Posted By: Ttunderthesun21
Date Posted: 01/21/2020 at 8:01am
His go to tactics for tournaments was to increase entry fees, and lower prize money lol.  I have nooo clue why he wouldn't run cary cup, it's gotta be the biggest draw/profit the whole year tournaments wise.  


Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 01/21/2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

The monthly rent is too high, $20 K per month.

Membership has been declining.
Profitable tournament, like Cary Cup, stopped.
Newly organized tournaments attracting few entries - a dozen or less.

Interesting to see if TTT club can survive until the end of this year.



Cary cup actually wasn't profitable for the club. After prize money, pay for referee, pay for umpire since they were employees of the club, and lost coaching revenue for the entire weekend they probably barely broke even or even lost $.


Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 01/22/2020 at 8:22am
That's bad.  Didn't Cary Cup sell out well ahead of time every year?  Who designs an event where you lose money  even on a sellout?  No wonder the club has financial trouble, sheesh.


Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 01/22/2020 at 8:53am
The main event did atleast. 

1. Prior to 2019 - Employees paid $15 hour and they usually had 3-4 working all weekend.
2. Prior to 2019 - Linda leaf paid $1000ish to come referee. 
3. Tables blocked for playing = no coaching, i'd estimate atleast 40 + hours of coaching lost ? 40 * 55 * 40% cut = 880, maybe $1000 ish lost there give or take
4. Prize money 2019 - 8400 cash and 1275 club credit + Thursday and Friday events

NC entry fee was 75, 90-95 if not, main event pulls around 10k revenue minus the above. If there was any profit it was minimal at best and coming from the Thursday and Friday events. Prior to 2019 definitely at a loss with the overhead. 



Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 01/22/2020 at 11:40am
These giant round robins aren't appealing to me.  I'd rather pay $30 for a 3 hour event with 4-7 matches than $65 for an event that could be all day with 10+ matches.  Too old for that...


Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 01/22/2020 at 11:44am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

That's bad.  Didn't Cary Cup sell out well ahead of time every year?  Who designs an event where you lose money  even on a sellout?  No wonder the club has financial trouble, sheesh.

It is bad business, especially since only a handful of players had a shot at the big money.  I'd imagine most players aren't in it for the money, they're playing for excitement and rating points.  Having Jishan Liang or whoever come to the club and get a big check does nothing for the club really.   These clubs should focus on appealing to the greatest number of players, not appealing to the elite.  If they could get Ma Long to show up that would be something.  But they aren't.

Having smaller affordable, shorter events appeals to older people, people on a budget etc.  


Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 01/22/2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

These giant round robins aren't appealing to me.  I'd rather pay $30 for a 3 hour event with 4-7 matches than $65 for an event that could be all day with 10+ matches.  Too old for that...

I love the giant RR's.  They give me lots of matches against many different levels and styles.  10-15 matches is a good day for me.


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/22/2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

These giant round robins aren't appealing to me.  I'd rather pay $30 for a 3 hour event with 4-7 matches than $65 for an event that could be all day with 10+ matches.  Too old for that...

I love the giant RR's.  They give me lots of matches against many different levels and styles.  10-15 matches is a good day for me.
=====================
It is the giant RR format that attracts many of our club members to drive 175 miles there to play.


Posted By: Ttunderthesun21
Date Posted: 01/23/2020 at 4:26pm
This was regarding Cary Cup form Mike Babuin on FB:

Cary Cup 2020
Ok...many of you are asking.

Here is the story. As many of you know, for many reasons, I stepped back from CC for several years now after giving it life in 2002 and running it for many years. 

I was very saddened to see it erode in 2016 into 'just another tournament' in my absence. When TTT transitioned to new ownership by Michael Levene in late 2018, the 2019 Cary Cup was already planned and sanctioned so in a sense, 'the horse had already left the gate' by 2018 for the 2019 Cary Cup. All in all it was still a decent tournament, but by my standards I wanted more. 

So...this year, there is a high probability that we WILL have a Cary Cup bigger and better than ever before. However, it won't be happening in March. At present, we are looking at mid August. Exact dates to follow within two weeks. 

While August is new for Cary Cup so too will be the name. I am rebranding this as the 'Americas Cup' to give the tournament a more National level title. 

However, I am back and will be designing the tournament and running it. That means you can be assured that every attention to detail will follow and that GREAT prize money and trophies are back. My goal is to have a total purse of $30,000 and if that can be pulled off, it will be the largest Cary Cup EVER. As always you need to sign up for the tournament immediately because this will certainly fill up quickly. 

Good news is...we are targeting events from Wednesday through Sunday - you can pick and choose what interests you as always. 

I am grateful for Michael and Nina Levene, Jason, and everyone at Triangle for embracing this wonderful tournament, once again - and I guarantee that we will go all out this year to make it very memorable for everyone. 

Please note that we will use the entire Triangle facility for the event. 

More too follow in a couple of weeks. 

Please spread this around so it gets distributed. Efforts are underway.



Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/24/2020 at 9:56am
..............My goal is to have a total purse of $30,000 ....................
===============
And other over-head, will it be profitable?

If the entry fee is too high, fewer will attend. Very few players entering this event thinking about prize money, except Liang Jishan.  If the entry fee is not high enough, this event may not be profitable.


Posted By: mentortt
Date Posted: 01/24/2020 at 11:14am
Thanks for updating. Wait for new announcement.


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 01/25/2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Thanks for updating. Wait for new announcement.
===============
Sounds like it will be in 2 weeks.


Posted By: mycuzinvinny
Date Posted: 02/04/2020 at 10:23am
Outside of the US Open/Nationals/Hopes/Trials, what other tournaments require tourney pass/coach pass?  TTT has a $10 fee for non-player/spectator/coach to attend the tournament.

https://www.omnipong.com/EntryForms/1075-49.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.omnipong.com/EntryForms/1075-49.pdf



-------------
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)


Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 02/04/2020 at 10:34am
Westchester Table Tennis has one as well for Sunday(the Open and higher level events).

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...


Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 02/05/2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by mycuzinvinny mycuzinvinny wrote:

Outside of the US Open/Nationals/Hopes/Trials, what other tournaments require tourney pass/coach pass?  TTT has a $10 fee for non-player/spectator/coach to attend the tournament.

https://www.omnipong.com/EntryForms/1075-49.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.omnipong.com/EntryForms/1075-49.pdf


Word on the street is Ojo and Rachid didn't even play their match (nobody saw them play?), and they wrote down a score of 2-3 with winner being Rachid. $10 to watch the two top players fake a match!


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 02/05/2020 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Ttunderthesun21 Ttunderthesun21 wrote:

This was regarding Cary Cup form Mike Babuin on FB:

Cary Cup 2020
Ok...many of you are asking.

Here is the story. As many of you know, for many reasons, I stepped back from CC for several years now after giving it life in 2002 and running it for many years. 

I was very saddened to see it erode in 2016 into 'just another tournament' in my absence. When TTT transitioned to new ownership by Michael Levene in late 2018, the 2019 Cary Cup was already planned and sanctioned so in a sense, 'the horse had already left the gate' by 2018 for the 2019 Cary Cup. All in all it was still a decent tournament, but by my standards I wanted more. 

So...this year, there is a high probability that we WILL have a Cary Cup bigger and better than ever before. However, it won't be happening in March. At present, we are looking at mid August. Exact dates to follow within two weeks. 

While August is new for Cary Cup so too will be the name. I am rebranding this as the 'Americas Cup' to give the tournament a more National level title. 

However, I am back and will be designing the tournament and running it. That means you can be assured that every attention to detail will follow and that GREAT prize money and trophies are back. My goal is to have a total purse of $30,000 and if that can be pulled off, it will be the largest Cary Cup EVER. As always you need to sign up for the tournament immediately because this will certainly fill up quickly. 

Good news is...we are targeting events from Wednesday through Sunday - you can pick and choose what interests you as always. 

I am grateful for Michael and Nina Levene, Jason, and everyone at Triangle for embracing this wonderful tournament, once again - and I guarantee that we will go all out this year to make it very memorable for everyone. 

Please note that we will use the entire Triangle facility for the event. 

More too follow in a couple of weeks. 

Please spread this around so it gets distributed. Efforts are underway.

========================
Have you heard anything from Mike Babuin?
Within 2 weeks, it has been 13 days now. Has Mike mentioned anything?



Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 02/10/2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Ttunderthesun21 Ttunderthesun21 wrote:

This was regarding Cary Cup form Mike Babuin on FB:
Cary Cup 2020

Ok...many of you are asking.

Here is the story. As many of you know, for many reasons, I stepped back from CC for several years now after giving it life in 2002 and running it for many years. 

I was very saddened to see it erode in 2016 into 'just another tournament' in my absence. When TTT transitioned to new ownership by Michael Levene in late 2018, the 2019 Cary Cup was already planned and sanctioned so in a sense, 'the horse had already left the gate' by 2018 for the 2019 Cary Cup. All in all it was still a decent tournament, but by my standards I wanted more. 

So...this year, there is a high probability that we WILL have a Cary Cup bigger and better than ever before. However, it won't be happening in March. At present, we are looking at mid August. Exact dates to follow within two weeks. 

While August is new for Cary Cup so too will be the name. I am rebranding this as the 'Americas Cup' to give the tournament a more National level title. 

However, I am back and will be designing the tournament and running it. That means you can be assured that every attention to detail will follow and that GREAT prize money and trophies are back. My goal is to have a total purse of $30,000 and if that can be pulled off, it will be the largest Cary Cup EVER. As always you need to sign up for the tournament immediately because this will certainly fill up quickly. 

Good news is...we are targeting events from Wednesday through Sunday - you can pick and choose what interests you as always. 

I am grateful for Michael and Nina Levene, Jason, and everyone at Triangle for embracing this wonderful tournament, once again - and I guarantee that we will go all out this year to make it very memorable for everyone. 

Please note that we will use the entire Triangle facility for the event. 

More too follow in a couple of weeks. 

Please spread this around so it gets distributed. Efforts are underway.

=============================


Have you heard anything from Mike Babuin?

He said: "More too follow in a couple of weeks. "  It has been more than a couple of weeks.



Posted By: ttforlife
Date Posted: 02/10/2020 at 1:35pm
The event has been listed under omni pong, but there isn't a flyer attached yet.


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 02/10/2020 at 3:14pm
Since Cary Cup venue is only 175 miles from where our club is based, we have had more than a dozen of our club members play that tournament every year.

Just hope Mike Babuin can revive it (as Americas Cup).


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 02/10/2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

The event has been listed under omni pong, but there isn't a flyer attached yet.
==========================
Thanks for the info.  I looked at the omnipong's site and learned that it will be August 19 to August 23.

Many of our club members played Cary Cup every year.

We will have more than a dozen players from our club to play this "Americas Cup."
Great news,


Posted By: skip3119
Date Posted: 02/24/2020 at 8:28pm

Before the mess, the North Carolina State Championships had 60 players.
Now this time it has only 7 players entered, if you remove 2 (two) Levenes, there are only 5 players entered. By the tournament time, they will be lucky to have 10 players this time around.

It looks like any tourney arranged by Michael Levene, players just don't want to enter and stay away.

2020 Americas Cup (in August), Dr. Mike Babuin's idea - since Michael Levene's name is in there, just don't know if players will enter or stay away.

Historically, our club has lots players to play Cary Cup, when August comes around, I am not so sure if our club members are just as enthusiastic as before.

https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1622" rel="nofollow - https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1622





Posted By: Vince64
Date Posted: 02/25/2020 at 12:17am
[QUOTE=skip3119]

Before the mess, the North Carolina State Championships had 60 players.
Now this time it has only 7 players entered, if you remove 2 (two) Levenes, there are only 5 players entered. By the tournament time, they will be lucky to have 10 players this time around.

It looks like any tourney arranged by Michael Levene, players just don't want to enter and stay away.

https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1622" rel="nofollow - https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=100&r=1622

/QUOTE]
The tournament is still 2 months away. I think predicting maybe 10 entries this far in advance to kind of premature. 


-------------
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net