Print Page | Close Window

TT drops down on sports ranking scale

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: This forum is for general discussions about table tennis.
Moderator: JimT
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88267
Printed Date: 07/10/2020 at 8:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TT drops down on sports ranking scale
Posted By: mjamja
Subject: TT drops down on sports ranking scale
Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 5:10pm
TT has now dropped lower on the pyramid of sports.  Overtaken by Pickelball and Cornhole sometime ago,  TT has now hit a new low.  ESPN has chosen to broadcast the "National Stone Skipping Championship" before offering up TT matches.   Fairly soon I expect TT to be left behind by the up and coming "Rock, paper, scissors" competitions.

Boy do I know how to devote myself to losers.  First Mondale and now TT.

Mark 

Replies:
Posted By: Lightspin
Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 6:36pm
I would bet if you asked the average American if they wanted to watch a table tennis match or a rock, paper, scissors match they would choose RPS.  People just cannot relate to high level table tennis. 

Posted By: vik2000
Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 8:18pm
Unfortunately, TT is just one of those sports that is not exactly interesting to watch for those who don't know the sport. People cannot have the appreciation for the level of technique required to play it and don't care for whatever spin that's involved. The ball is too small to watch it live as well. 

Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by vik2000 vik2000 wrote:

Unfortunately, TT is just one of those sports that is not exactly interesting to watch for those who don't know the sport. People cannot have the appreciation for the level of technique required to play it and don't care for whatever spin that's involved. The ball is too small to watch it live as well. 

Less interesting than watching a rock being being skipped along the top of the water for a couple of seconds before sinking forever into the depths?  More appreciation for the level of technique required to get 14 vs 10 skips across the surface?

I would note that the age (old), athleticism (low), and attire (baggy cotton cargo shorts and T-shirts) of the skippers did resemble more my local TT club more than what you see in high level play.  Maybe I can get ESPN to consider televising our local club play for the comic value.

Mark 

Posted By: heavyspin
Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 10:00pm
Assuming it was a repeat of the stone skipping competition I saw last year, I would rate it as one of the worst sports shows I ever saw. Took place on a windy day and the waves killed nearly every attempt. Skipping rocks through waves is worse than looping into frictionless long pips.

-------------
Physicists never throw away old sheets of Butterfly rubber because Tenergy must be conserved.

Posted By: mickd
Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 10:29pm
Is this actually true? That's super sad if it is. At least in Japan it has some following.

Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Is this actually true? That's super sad if it is. At least in Japan it has some following.

Yes it is true.  Was channel surfing today around 3pm and there it was on ESPN.   I thought it was a joke at first, but it seemed to be a real event with a pair of ESPN commentators.  Not too long ago they showed the Professional Cornhole Championships (throwing little bean bags onto a raised board with a hole in it).  I think the winning team got $50,000 for first place.  They are set to pay out almost 1 million dollars in prize money for the full season according to an article I saw.  

Mark

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 05/02/2020 at 11:40pm
let's see the bright side: our sport is strengthening our immune system better than any other! it's normal that we feel depressed. They all do. Darts champions say "nobody cares about us anymore!!!" but it's not true either.

-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 05/03/2020 at 1:02am
Soon enough bigfoot shadow practicing in the mountains will be the last opaque memory we'll rely on to remember the great game that gave us so much.

-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net