Print Page | Close Window

Some new Soulspin custom blades

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88417
Printed Date: 04/19/2024 at 6:35pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Some new Soulspin custom blades
Posted By: robertantal
Subject: Some new Soulspin custom blades
Date Posted: 06/04/2020 at 1:32pm
I accidentally stumbled over two blades from Gewo produced by the German Soulspin company. The Konigsklasse Karbon Sieben and the Konigsklasse Funf. They both play specifically well in their own style. What impressed me the most was the quality of build. So I decided to order a couple of blades with some light customization to their main line of products. Yesterday my order got shipped and I got a couple of photos from Lukas who was very helpful in placing my order. Here are the photos:

The construction of the blades are:

Blade 1: Black Limba top (0.3mm) - Spruce mid (1.0mm) - Ayous core (3.4mm) total thickness 6.0mm
Blade 2: Koto top (0.3mm) - Spruce mid (1.0mm) - Kiri core (3.4mm) total thickness 6.6mm
Blade 3: Spruce top (0.6mm) - Spruce mid (1.0mm) - Kiri core (3.6mm) total thickness 6.8mm
Blade nr 3 has the new era handle developed by Soulspin.

for comparative purposes I will list the construction of the two Gewo Konigsklasse blades:

Gewo Konigsklasse Karbon Sieben: Limba top (0.55mm) - Ayous mid (0.55mm) - Kevlar Carbon - Ayous core (3.0mm) total thickness 5.8mm
Gewo Konigsklasse Funf: Koto top (0.6mm) - Spruce mid (0.8mm) - Ayous core (3.1mm) total thickness 5.9mm

I know Soulspin built the Meister and the S-series for Nittaku as well but I do not own any of those blades myself.
I'm curious what are other players experience with these soulspin built blades and what is the secret of the Spruce used by this german company in their blades? 

-------------
Robert
Butterfly Timo Boll 40th Anniversary
FH: Xiom OmegaV Tour / BH: Xiom Omega VII Euro

Replies:
Posted By: lasta
Date Posted: 06/05/2020 at 6:56am
Hi Robert,

I'm curious what your thesis is for each blade? What do you hope to achieve from the variations?

Cheers!

Date Posted: 06/05/2020 at 8:48am
I played with fast carbon blades for a long time then I realized the speed is holding me back from playing safe and strategic so I switched to pure wood blades. I mostly used ayous core what is similar to kiri but a bit denser so the blades with that type of core tend to be a bit thinner than the kiri core blades. I also favored Limba wood for top play for the ability to create crazy spiny balls but soon I realized that after you develop a god brushing stroke actually Koto will be less sensitive to the incoming spin and works just as fine as Limba at creating spin. Then I played with blades with Spruce mid veneer and I fell in love with the extra speed and poer what you can unleash at a more powerful stroke reminding me of my one ply Hinoki blades.
After all this I decided to try Kiri as a core and keep the Spruce mid veneer ordering custom blades from Soulspin.
I also experimented with harder top weneers like Walnut and Ebony but my stroke is not god enough to play a spin orriented game with those woods.
Also if you favor feel and spin over speed the 5 ply blades are better than the 7 ply ones.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Hipnotic
Date Posted: 06/05/2020 at 4:04pm
Soulspin does have some nice quality blades. There isn't a secret to their spruce, is just the way that is cut. Basically they cut entire sheets lengthwise from a log, instead  of the traditional way which is the rotary cut. I've actually just bought a batch of really nice spruce as well and can't wait to use it in my blades.

However I have a negative experience with some of their blades, but I think this may not be their fault. I glue most of the rackets in my club, and some sponsored kids by Donic play with the 89 range. Well, the control quality on these ins't great and I had Waldner 89's ranging from 90g to 110g! This is because the grain pattern on some of the spruce is very dense, and of course the veneer will be heavier than the average. 

Date Posted: 06/05/2020 at 4:13pm
Have you heard of the brand PimplePark? They have two new blades the pila and the sica a 5 respective 7 ply all wood blade what looks to be a high build quality as well.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/05/2020 at 5:16pm
Yes, I've hear of them. Looking at the handle shape and veneers really seem like it's also built by Soulspin .

Date Posted: 06/06/2020 at 12:22am

I have also noticed a brand called "wood nut".Looks like it has good quality as well.

Pimple Park has a DEF rated wood as well called "Filius" what looks like a Soulspin build:

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/06/2020 at 2:26pm
I've heard of them too. Do you know about the brand "SDC Blades"? LOL

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 9:10am
No I did not... I believe the quality of the wood used and the build itself it makes a much better blade when it comes to companies like Soulspin compared to the mainstream big brand companies who did not pay attention to the detail and does not select the best veneers except for the top veneer what is directly visible. Some even use core veneer joined from multiple pieces on their premium blades like Donic!

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 9:25am
I'm SDC, a small blade builder from Portugal. You can check my post here if you'd like:  http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/sdc-handmade-blades_topic86864_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/sdc-handmade-blades_topic86864_page1.html

Regarding the jointed cores, I do use them on Kiri and Balsa blades, but mostly because it has been impossible for me to find boards wide enough to make blades. However, and this has been discussed in several places, jointed cores can in fact be equal, if not better, than one piece cores.

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 2:42pm
Nice Blades!

-------------
Robert

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

I'm SDC, a small blade builder from Portugal. You can check my post here if you'd like:  http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/sdc-handmade-blades_topic86864_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/sdc-handmade-blades_topic86864_page1.html

Regarding the jointed cores, I do use them on Kiri and Balsa blades, but mostly because it has been impossible for me to find boards wide enough to make blades. However, and this has been discussed in several places, jointed cores can in fact be equal, if not better, than one piece cores.
I wish jointed cores fans try to inject a little intelligence in their rationale.A blade maker will save money with a jointed core so saying that "jointed cores can in fact be equal , if not better" with no science whatsoever to back it up has no value, it is empty a statement, a marketing gimmick that takes people for fools.

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 4:07pm
First off, I'm a Civil Engineer, so I know a little about structural integrity of materials and their mechanical properties. I also happen to be a blade builder and know a little about wood. I don't need to use gimmicks, I tell people the truth and never hid the fact that I use multi piece cores, It's their decision to buy a blade from me or not.

I've stated some arguments, I can post them here again:

"A multi piece core (2,3 pieces) doesn't affect performance. In fact, it can be better than a 1 piece core for several reasons:
-  Glue is stronger than wood - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f90QoWOs9TE" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f90QoWOs9TE
- Wood is not homogeneous so it's easier to select similar pieces (density, grain direction)
- Paulownia (Kiri) is a relatively small tree, so bigger pieces are more likely to have more discontinuities
- Less waste"

I don't know your credentials other than being a very frustrated forum member with big brands for using multi piece cores. I haven't heard a single argument from you as to why single piece cores are so much better.

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 4:46pm
I am not against multi piece cores, I am against the absence of science to back up the idea that they are equal or better when the main goal is to save money. 

Xiom are proud to use one piece cores and they advertise it. Don't you think they know what they are doing? don't they have credentials? 

Your arguments are not valid especially the glue being stronger than wood. If we want continuity and homogeneity, whether the glue stronger or not is irrelevant, there is a break in the core!

there is a break in the core!

Get it? some people don't like it and don't like the fake marketing around it.

Blade makers who can't find homogeneous enough, small, 280mmX160mm pieces of wood that are a mere 3 to 5mm thick probably are too greedy and procure among 3rd class providers. Then, when they come and say that glue is stronger than wood so it's good for the customer, I feel taken and it annoys me.

Last, who says that any "discontinuity" is worst than a break in the core? A discontinuity in appearance does not necessarily mean a density variation that can be felt, that can matter for play. OAOH, a break in the core makes another kind of blade and it should be advertised that a multi piece core is used.

A luxury brand charging a premium and feeding us bullshit marketing to justify their savings in procurement is laughing at their customers in whom they see hillbillies ready to pay for whatever they see in an ad. I understand that a one man shop will follow them though. it's the easiest path for them.

Kudos to Xiom for doing the right thing! in their own words:

One piece veneer without material - saving joint fabricated structure

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 5:15pm
Still not reading any scientific argument from you. Just saying that my arguments aren't valid because you don't like them doesn't count.

You remind me of the guitar snobs that bash on guitar makers for using multi piece bodies.  Can you also hear and feel difference between one piece and multi piece cores? Just do a blind test and you will prove your super powers.

Have you have ever even seen a kiri board? Let's put all those knots and weird grain patterns in your blade,I'm sure it will be a lot better than a perfectly jointed piece of wood with a glue that is stronger than the material itself!

Again, NO ONE is advertising one piece cores and then using multi piece cores, you can't fault anyone for something that is just your expectation. I wish I could get wider Kiri boards, even if it was just to satisfy the ego of wood snobs like you. I do use one piece Ayous, WRC and Spruce cores, Urray for me!

I can just as easily say that Xiom is making marketing gimmicks claiming they use one piece cores. This coming from a brand that also uses hyper axylium, cold press whatever, super arylate, and the world's first ever hybrid blade (except there were plenty before that). But kudos to Xiom for doing the right thing - not gimmeckly at all!

But why am I arguing with you? I'm not gonna change your mind, and I really don't care what you think. Just don't go saying that I use marketing gimmicks and take people for fools. I pride myself on my honesty, I don't charge premium prices for my blades and I never lied or hid the fact that I use multi piece Kiri cores.

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 5:24pm
The burden of proof is on you. Again, I am not against multi piece cores, I am against the idea that says it is equal if not better, which you said.

I totally trust your blades btw, they are fantastic to watch that's for sure. In the end, we want the same blade from one to another within a model so if there is consistency in the way the break in the core is made then it's all good.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 5:46pm
I already stated my case, that is proof enough for me. I have built one piece and two piece Ayous blades and they feel the same.

This is the core of one of my blades. I bet that if you played with it you wouldn't even suspect the core was like this.

Sorry OP for stealing the thread.

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 6:27pm
wow wow wow LOL you are a believer!!! what a neat idea to save weight.

There is enough consistency in the spacing between holes to not feel any difference, especially with the 2 plies of wood on top on each side.

if I may ask, why not going all the way with the holes in the handle middle and bottom parts? are you looking for balance maybe? are you trying to compensate the additional weight of modern rubbers so the holes are for the playing surface only?

I am not asking the legality, we know the answer. It's a great idea. How much weight do you shave off the core that way in your typical (3mm?) kiri core?

-------------

Date Posted: 06/08/2020 at 7:05pm
I wanted to keep total integrity in the part that is most stressed, which is near the tip of the handle. But I did cut a slot in the handle part.

This only translates to a ~17% weight reduction, so it's only useful for heavier woods. In a kiri core with 3mm that's only ~4g, not enough difference to make it useful.

Date Posted: 06/09/2020 at 9:05am
Regarding the core construction to achieve homogeneity would it be a solution to saw the core in two sheets and flip one over that way if the grains are inconsistent the tighter part will overlap with the more spaced out part on both sides. Of course this will make the blade stiffer but it could increase the consistency of the core. Even ply blades are not to popular so I assume there is a reason behind this, maybe somebody has the answer for it...

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/09/2020 at 9:19am
That is basically what I already do. I buy boards with 1000x100mm in several thicknesses. These are usually sequential boards, so the next board is very similar to the previous one. Nonetheless, I make sure they are the same weight, Thickness, clear of knots and imperfections. After that I cut the boards in 3. Then I need to create a flat edge in each one to join them perfectly. If needed, I bring them down to the correct Thickness. This is actually much more labor intensive than one piece boards, those just need to be the correct Thickness and are ready to go. So much for the argument of the easy path... 

Date Posted: 06/09/2020 at 9:52am
I was referring to slice the core in half so in stead of having a 3 mm core you end up with two 1.5mm slices with one of them flipped over and that way the core would become a 2 ply. Maybe having a single ply core should offer more feel to the blade than a two ply core...? Is that right?

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/09/2020 at 2:30pm
I don't see the advantage in that, then you would need an additional layer of glue plus another 1.5mm layer that could have different properties. Also, slicing a 3mm board in half is really difficult and the result are not two 1.5 pieces but less, the blade also has thickness.

Date Posted: 06/20/2020 at 10:35am
Here is an example of the core being made of multiple pieces where the grain runs in different direction.

This is what I do not like...   It is a Donic Blade what got returned due to may cracks in the core as well!

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/20/2020 at 11:45am
he he he Big smile it feels good not being alone. 

Multiple pieces with the grain going in different directions all over the place? they don't even try to hide anymore, come on! 

I learned earlier that it does not matter since the glue is stronger so, the more core pieces, the more glue to join them and the less the wood matter anyway since the ball ends up bouncing more often from the glue, right? That's the logic that was pushed all the way to ultimately give birth to the Revoldia concept, "dust and glue". GENIUS!!! Leibniz would be proud.

-------------

Posted By: mykonos96
Date Posted: 06/20/2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by robertantal robertantal wrote:

Here is an example of the core being made of multiple pieces where the grain runs in different direction.

This is what I do not like...   It is a Donic Blade what got returned due to may cracks in the core as well!

the grain is not aligned, what donic model?

Date Posted: 06/20/2020 at 11:56pm
It was a Donic Crest AR+. The blade was close to $200 and I expected more for this price range. I Purchased the same blade twice from a different dealer and it was great quality. Why such a big variation from one blade to another?

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/21/2020 at 2:50am
quality control? people at the factory may play games to not go over their budget and the people in the finance department don't care until somebody like you raises a flag.

edit: my gosh! some of the best minds re. tt material told me the Crest AR is so fantastic, that English man comes to mind, I forget his handle atm he did not posted for a long time.

-------------

Posted By: nv42
Date Posted: 06/21/2020 at 7:43am
I've found that even on a super expensive mj slzc! Even though the cut was super clean and you'd have to really stare closely to notice any difference. 

-------------
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)

Date Posted: 06/21/2020 at 7:15pm
crest at+ it is awesome by the way if you don't mind the 90+ weight. Mine is  95.5g and it played wonderful. Under 90g the blade tend to be a bit slow... My second blade was 87.5g and I preferred the heavier one...

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 10:28am
Finally after nearly one month since shipped from Germany my Soulspin blades just cleared customs! Can't wait to try them out... Will post updates with photos soon.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Skynet
Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 11:45am

I know Soulspin built the Meister and the S-series for Nittaku as well but I do not own any of those blades myself.
I'm curious what are other players experience with these soulspin built blades and what is the secret of the Spruce used by this german company in their blades?

Finally after nearly one month since shipped from Germany my Soulspin blades just cleared customs! Can't wait to try them out... Will post updates with photos soon.

I recently received a Soulspin custom blade, too, although the "custom" was more like an accident...I did not order a custom one...LOL
Outstanding built quality, better than Butterfly or other high price products I've seen or had before. Haven't tried the blade yet though; still waiting for my new rubbers...

Please do post the photos of your new blades. I'm quite curious..

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 12:18pm
I definitely will follow up with photos and review! Rubbers are also very important, I know the blade is 80% of your playing style but the rubbers are just as important. If you pair the blade with the wrong rubber it can be a total failure. I prefer a certain hardness and stickiness to my rubbers. Usually harder rubbers complement nicely softer woods. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 1:51pm

...Usually harder rubbers complement nicely softer woods. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

Well, yes, that is the word on the street, so to speak, for many years. Hard rubbers + soft blade and vice versa. There is probably some truth to that, even in the plastic-ball era where more and more players put very hard rubbers on rather hard/stiff blades. However I do not think it is necessary for mere hobby players to follow 1:1 what pros or semi-pros do (these days).

The blade that I received is a 5-ply allwood with a kiri core plus two spruce outers. It seems to be somewhat stiff, but because of the spruce outers I expect a very soft touch. I intend to put medium-hard rubbers on it. Xiom Omega V Euro (45° ESN) and Omega V Tour (47.5° ESN). That should work nicely...maybe I'll try Omega VII Asia (52.5°) as well, but I'm not sure if I'm able to fully engage a hard rubber like that in order to also make use of the spinning capabilities of the blade (which in this case should generelly be on the higher end) . We'll see.

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 2:37pm
I got the same wood so called spin offensive just with a slightly thinner core (3.6 mm) to reduce the speed and the total thickness of the blade a little. I also opted for the new era handle what suppose to be transferring the vibrations better. I do not worry about the speed because Spruce is pretty bouncy and has a hinoki specific kick what I like. Also my choice of rubber is the nittaku fastarc g1 what I consider a moderate speed and high spin rubber.Also since you received your blade already could you share some photos please?

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 2:53pm

I got the same wood so called spin offensive just with a slightly thinner core (3.6 mm) to reduce the speed and the total thickness of the blade a little...Also since you received your blade already could you share some photos please?

Well, first of all: I'm not quite sure what kind of blade I received exactly: I only know that it was produced by Soulspin. Last week I ordered a regular Nittaku S-5 from a shop; the S-5 is supposed to be made of spruce only...
But as I said the blade that I received has a kiri core insted of a spruce one. That is what I meant by saying "custom". It could very well be a "Spin Offensive" or the "PimplePark Pila", just with Nittaku print and S-5 handle caps.

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Skynet Skynet wrote:

I got the same wood so called spin offensive just with a slightly thinner core (3.6 mm) to reduce the speed and the total thickness of the blade a little...Also since you received your blade already could you share some photos please?

Well, first of all: I'm not quite sure what kind of blade I received exactly: I only know that it was produced by Soulspin. Last week I ordered a regular Nittaku S-5 from a shop; the S-5 is supposed to be made of spruce only...
But as I said the blade that I received has a kiri core insted of a spruce one. That is what I meant by saying "custom". It could very well be a "Spin Offensive" or the "PimplePark Pila", just with Nittaku print and S-5 handle caps.

Sorry, picture is upside down I believe

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:03pm
This is a Nittaku blade made of 5 layers of spruce no kiri core in this blade! It is indeed made by Soulspin!

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:07pm
Sorry I just noticed your second post. What is your total thickness? If the core is kiri it will be a bit slower I belive than the original S-5

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:09pm

This is a Nittaku blade made of 5 layers of spruce no kiri core in this blade! It is indeed made by Soulspin!

Yup, they confirmed it today. It is possibly the only "official" Nittaku S-5 with a kiri core. There is a good chance that I will keep the blade and order another S-5 (in the hope that the next one is "all-spruce"), because I really like the craftsmanship.
Thickness is 6.3 mm and weighs 79.5g. Yes, because of the kiri core and the leight weight overall, it will most likely be slower that the original. I originally intended to use the S-5 as a replacement for a Butterfly Kiso Hinoki V, but my version will also probably produce less spin that the other S-5s.

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:17pm
I would not be worried about the speed because the kiri core will offer better control in my opinion so you could compensate with faster rubbers! Thibar MX-S perhaps.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:22pm

I would not be worried about the speed because the kiri core will offer better control in my opinion so you could compensate with faster rubbers! Thibar MX-S perhaps.

Indeed, the blade should offer plenty of control. I do not know the MX-S, only MX-P and EL-S, and I like the EL-S better, but these Evo rubbers are sooo heavy! The Omega Vs are a little lighter and fast enough for my level.

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:26pm
Your blade is light enough to handle two MX-S rubbers and the hardness of the sponge (48deg) will work just fine with the blade...

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 06/29/2020 at 3:32pm
Maybe, but I would worry about my racket being too head heavy with two Evo MX-S. One MX-S for my fh could work though...first the Omega Vs and if it doesn't work out I might go the MX-S, Victas V-11  or maybe Quantum X Pro route..

Date Posted: 07/03/2020 at 10:37am
Here are the promised photos...

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/03/2020 at 10:43am
And some more!

I will review them later one by one...

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/05/2020 at 12:01pm
Some photos with the rubbers installed on the Spin Offensive Soulspin blade with the new era handle...
Total weight of the blade is 89 g, after installing the two Nittaku Fastarc G1 rubbers is 189 g. I will mention again this is a modified Spin Offensive with a 2 mm thinner core than the one on Soulspin website.

Some first impressions are that the speed of the setup is a solid OFF-, the spim indeed is easy to generate and vary, the handle is extremely thin to my liking so thin that I'm contemplating about adding grip tape to increase the diameter for a fuller feel.I love the idea of the ribbed handle it is great just the size is not what I expected. Regarding the control I can say is very easy to redirect shots and to change pace and spin. If you are a all arounder this is the ideal blade for you. Maybe the original blade with the ticker core is better suited for an all in attacking player. Overall I'm happy with the blade in all aspects I just wished I would ordered a larger and thicker handle. well maybe next time. This is my impression after one day of playing for about two hours so things may change in the future. 

Here is the construction of my blade reflecting the 2mm thinner core.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/06/2020 at 9:27am
After another couple of hours of play I concluded that the Custom Soulspeen Speed Offensive is not at all that speedy. My shots land closer to the middle of the table compared to the Gewo Konigsklasse Funf the blade I mainly use. Not being able to keep the balls deep I have trouble pushing people away from the table. Serves are also a bit slower but the spin is god. My blocks are easier to be attacked and I'm more sensitive to the incoming spin. Topspin rallies are controlled and super spiny. Keeping the ball in play is significantly easier with this blade when you continuously spin the ball. Even shots around the net became something doable more often than before. Killing the ball is somehow harder than with a faster blade. I believe the extra 2 mm I shaved off the Kiri core may be needed in some occasions but 7 mm blades are way to thick for my liking. I believe choosing the Kiri as a core it does have a weight and control advantage over Ayous but will lose in speed and overall power and it will create a thicker blade if you try to match the power of a identical composition blade with Ayous core. For a pure offensive blade Kiri core blades must be complemented by a faster carbon (5+2) setup. Also Spruce is a great wood what has some of the Japanese Hinoki wood characteristics but I prefer Koto as a top veneer over Spruce and I will keep Spruce as the middle veneer.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/08/2020 at 1:18pm
The second blade I got to test is the Custom Soulspin Medium Speed with a core increase of 0.2 mm for extra power.

The total blade weight with two Nittaku Fastarc G1 is 195 grams. A bit heavy for my liking but The extra 5 to 7 grams are due to the beautiful oversize Venge wood handle what is one of the heaviest from Soulspin's options.

The first impression after a day of playing is that even with the addition of the 0.2 mm to the Kiri core the blade is a slow OFF- in my opinion. Compared side by side with the Gewo Konigsklasse Funf it is a slower blade with much less kick. Also the spin is harder to generate than with the Gewo. The Ayous core really makes the Gewo blade come alive compared with the thicker Kiri core on the Soulspin. The Soulspin blade is more like a constant speed blade with high control for defenders or all-rounders. In my opinion this blade is better suited for pip players since blocking is very easy with it. All my blocks landed on the table easily at around the same depth independently of the incoming speed. Changing pace when attacking it was a bit of challenge since this blade's kick comes in at hard hits only. I will not spend any more time with this blade since it does not suit my style and I will probably offer it for sale at the FS section at one point.

-------------
Robert

Posted By: obesechopper
Date Posted: 07/08/2020 at 1:37pm
The soulspin blades are great! 

I've had a number of custom ones made by them, all exceptional quality. The best I've seen, even when compared to other custom blade makers I've used. 

As far as the .2 kiri increase... I'm not sure how much difference that would actually make. At that small increment I'd think the specific wood quality used for that particular blade matters more (wood density etc. for each specific cut). Just as you can have 2 identical blades that play differently. 

Date Posted: 07/08/2020 at 2:07pm
That is right. Unfortunately the better quality wood is always the heavier one with tighter grains. The sweet spot for my setup is 180 to 185 grams so it is tough to have a fast enough all wood attacking blade without making any compromise on wood quality or total thickness or choice of wood. I prefer blades no thicker than 6.0 mm, my rubbers cut weight 100 grams so the blade has to stay around 80 to 85 grams. Most of my previous blades had Ayous core and I love Ayous. I had a couple of blades with Kiri core but they had a layer of synthetic material to complement for the speed difference. My point was that pairing a Kiri core with the right top and mid veneer I could get a blade that has higher control than using Ayous as a core but unfortunately the speed loss is to high.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/08/2020 at 3:55pm
My blades weigh quite a bit more than that range (105-115ish), but I use a spruce core for those that has become my absolute favorite! 

For the 80-85 range... pretty light materials are needed, especially for an all-wood with power. Maybe like a ma lin extra offensive or the older oh sang eun butterfly blade models to replicate. 

Date Posted: 07/09/2020 at 9:48am
Here is the third Soulspin blade with Photos and review. The construction is same as Stiga's Infinity VPS V with the thickness of the veneers changed a bit. Core is Ayous and is reduced from 3.7 mm to 3.4 mm, Mid veneer is Spruce and it has been increased from 0.8 mm to 1.0 mm and the top veneer is Black Limba and it has the same thickness as the Limba on the Stiga blade 0.3 mm. Total thickness is 6.0 mm and is identical with the Stiga blade. The blade weight is 101 grams the weight increase over the Stiga coming from the over sized Wenge wood handle.

First impression is that the setup is a solid OFF and has god spin and control. I trimmed the rubbers close to the blade edge to save another 5 grams of the total weight not leaving the extra 2 mm around the edges as I usually do. total setup weight is 195 grams and is still on the heavy side just like the previous blade. I guess the beauty of the Wenge handle costed me an extra of 7 grams at the expense of the total weight. Otherwise the blade is well balanced. Playing is easy and my balls are landing mostly deep on the table but slow and spiny loops are also easy to be placed next to the net on the forehand or backhand side of the table. Passive blocking is decent but active blocks are better. Overall feel is not at the level of the Gewo Konigsklasse Funf but The speed and power are superior. This is only the firs day playing wit the blade so things may change once I get used to the extra weight compared to my main setup.

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/09/2020 at 3:15pm
What do you think about a Spruce/Spruce/Ayous/Spruce/Spruce blade? It should be powerful enough at around 5.8mm? What about the spin? I think I would love to try it...

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/09/2020 at 4:31pm

That is right. Unfortunately the better quality wood is always the heavier one with tighter grains. The sweet spot for my setup is 180 to 185 grams so it is tough to have a fast enough all wood attacking blade without making any compromise on wood quality or total thickness or choice of wood. I prefer blades no thicker than 6.0 mm, my rubbers cut weight 100 grams so the blade has to stay around 80 to 85 grams. Most of my previous blades had Ayous core and I love Ayous. I had a couple of blades with Kiri core but they had a layer of synthetic material to complement for the speed difference. My point was that pairing a Kiri core with the right top and mid veneer I could get a blade that has higher control than using Ayous as a core but unfortunately the speed loss is to high.

Yeah, you are not gonna get the power you want from an all wood blade at that wight range, but it's totally possible using composite fibers. I've built some pretty powerful blades at around 85g.

-------------
SDC Handmade Blades / http://www.sdcttblades.com" rel="nofollow - www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades

Date Posted: 07/14/2020 at 12:20pm

What do you think about a Spruce/Spruce/Ayous/Spruce/Spruce blade? It should be powerful enough at around 5.8mm? What about the spin? I think I would love to try it...

I think the ayous based blades are better for drive and block style overall. I have two of them from soulspin, one is meant to be a block/hit and the other is an over-sized chopping blade. Both have a duller feeling compared to the spruce or kiri based blades. Kind of a muted thunking. I don't sense any more speed from the ayous, just a more steady impact. Korbel, Oh Sang Eun, Clipper etc. Not that you can't loop with them, of course.. only people seem to prefer other compositions if spin based looping is the goal. 

Date Posted: 07/14/2020 at 12:30pm
Spruce is heavier than Ayous what is also heavier than Kiri so if Spruce and Kiri share the same characteristics as a core veneer I would opt for Kiri for weight saving purpose but in my opinion Kiri is not powerful enough as a core without a synthetic material surrounding it. (Assuming the total thickness of the blade is 6 mm or less)

-------------
Robert

Date Posted: 07/14/2020 at 12:40pm
My favorite blades are basically all spruce, with a walnut exterior and a basalt layer. The absolute best spin based blade I've used! I have them in varying thicknesses from around 5mm (90 grams) chopping style to 6.2 (108-114 grams) block and loop blades. The weights are heavy, but I use OX LP on one side.

Kiri still doesn't have the same feel, even at the same thickness. The spruce has more of a unique sound and vibration, with a springier rebound. One thing people always comment on is the sound. Even during warm-ups they will ask what I'm using, which nobody ever really does any other time with different blades. 

If I was going to craft a blade with speed and power, being somewhat close to your desired weight... I would probably do a spruce/ayous core with koto outer layers. Something like the timo boll w7 but a bit thinner, to bring the weight down. 

Ever used the donic waldner or persson 89 series?

Date Posted: 07/14/2020 at 1:04pm
I have not tried those blades yet.
I'm ordering a 7 ply Black Limba top/Spruce/Spruce/Ayous core  from Soulspin at 5.8 mm total thickness. I hope I can keep the weight under 90 grams and use their new era ribbed handle. The Black Limba with Spruce support should be spiny enough with a god kick and keeping the thickness under 6 mm should not be to stiff. 

-------------
Robert

Posted By: Tuot
Date Posted: 09/05/2021 at 2:21pm
 has anyone tried the Pimplepark Pila?  what do you think?

Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 09/05/2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Tuot Tuot wrote:

has anyone tried the Pimplepark Pila?  what do you think?

I have a pimple park Filus. Good quality and good price. I would like to try pila as well.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net