Print Page | Close Window

TT players switching sports

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: This forum is for general discussions about table tennis.
Moderator: NextLevel
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88621
Printed Date: 09/20/2020 at 7:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TT players switching sports
Posted By: mts388
Subject: TT players switching sports
Date Posted: 07/25/2020 at 12:09pm
With the shutdown of so many clubs in the U.S.  how many players will we lose to other sports or hobbies.  Getting bored this week, I decided to play golf.  I'm not a golfer but some friends (yes I have friends) asked me to play.  I really had a good time.  Pickleball, golf and tennis come to mind as sports players might take up.  

Replies:
Posted By: Simon_plays
Date Posted: 07/25/2020 at 1:18pm
No no, you're doing it all wrong if you're doing other sports which are actually fun. Stick to running and yoga. Both of these will be mildly beneficial for your game and get rid of the itch to be active without actually being any fun so there's no risk of you wanting to stop TT to allow for more time with either of these new activities. 

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 07/25/2020 at 10:00pm
Cycling.  I can do it alone.  Problem is that being a cycling EJ costs a lot more.

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 07/25/2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Cycling.  I can do it alone.  Problem is that being a cycling EJ costs a lot more.
Hi Baal, I bought in 2016 a used  http://civiacycles.com/bikes/archive/kingfield" rel="nofollow - Civia Kingfield  ($600 from a $1200 brand new price) and that's my best cycling decision ever. It was bought on Craigslist and delivered to me in a public area by some exec from Microsoft who came with his Tesla model S, it's amazing the space they can have behind with the fold-down back seats. He invested in super high quality tires and I had my 1st flat last week. I changed them and invested quite a bit for that peace of mind. The internal hub protects the gears from the elements and the belt just needs to be hosed to get rid of any dust. The hub needs to be serviced every other year but I did not do it for 3 years and paid for it just to have a tune-up of some skipping gears. Gates belt drive and an internal hub is a treat. You lose 5% efficiency but only when comparing with a well tuned chain drive: often, those are not tuned perfectly... Only changing a back tube is a pain because you need to separate a cable from the hub and replace all the pieces together right. Now that I can do it, I feel very strong with almost no bills.
For your majesty, I suggest you go as light as you can with a touring carbon bike equipped with a Rohloff hub, the absolute best on the market:  https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub" rel="nofollow - https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub ; and carbon wheels of course Big smile.
Also to be noted is another German technology, the Pinion gearbox, but it requires a special frame. It's also available with the Gates belt drive.
https://pinion.eu/en/" rel="nofollow - https://pinion.eu/en/
https://www.cyclingabout.com/tour-with-a-pinion-gearbox/" rel="nofollow - https://www.cyclingabout.com/tour-with-a-pinion-gearbox/  

-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 07/25/2020 at 11:29pm
Are electric assist bicycles the cycling equivalent of using long pips?

Mark - Who can not paddle or pedal the way he used to (among other things he is no longer able to perform)

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 3:59am
Mike might succeed on hte Pro Seniors Pickleball Tour...

Although this does not exist, withthe current trendline, it may happen soon enough for Mike to get out of business altogether and make more.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: DonnOlsen
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

No no, you're doing it all wrong if you're doing other sports which are actually fun. Stick to running and yoga. Both of these will be mildly beneficial for your game and get rid of the itch to be active without actually being any fun so there's no risk of you wanting to stop TT to allow for more time with either of these new activities. 

A bow to you for the right view.

Thanks.

-------------
Technique is a false culture.

Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 7:01am
Problem is that being a cycling EJ costs a lot more.

And I say; maybe, maybe not.  The fairest perspective, caring deeply as I do for our EJs and all they contribute to my knowledge, is that the table tennis EJing may well be competitive here, as our over-a-thousand approved rubbers and uncountable number of blades, both added to incessantly by our beloved equipment manufactures in chronic sleeplessness over their concern there may be, at least, one table tennis player in the world without the correct rubber or blade.

Cycling is high tech and has a major advantage.  Our seduction is that each of our new purchases is, for many, a manageable amount of money.  So, we can do it again and again, for a lifetime; a thousand cuts if you will.  Every table tennis EJ knows, deeply in the heart, that the latest product is better than the previous product and, at least in the U.S., that USATT rating goal of busting through 1700 is but one sheet away.

Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 7:27am
Badminton pretty decent

Posted By: nathanso
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 11:35am
Road cycling for me. I used to really enjoy badminton but isn't serious badminton all played indoors in the same kind of venues now scorned for TT?

-------------
BBC, SP, LP

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 1:26pm
This UCI working directives does have a lot of good sense ITTF needs to adopt.

UCI Guidance regarding equipment to be used in cycling sports.
Quote Any equipment which is not commercially available and is not authorised (not authorised by
UCI Equipment Unit or authorised period expired), may not be used in cycling events
governed by the UCI Regulations. Any such unauthorised use of equipment may be
sanctioned by disqualification of results obtained when using the equipment and/or a fine
ranging from CHF 5,000 to 100,000.”

Text modified on 15.10.18

The entire used material must be accessible to all participants. All the components must be
available commercially (i.e. available on the market or sold directly by the manufacturer) at
the latest twelve months after their first use in competition. If such a deadline is requested
and accepted by the UCI, the manufacturer must publicly announce that the product in
question is being used in competition and when it will be available for sale. In all cases the
product must be in a final stage of development, very similar to the product that will be
marketed.
Thus, it is not allowed to use equipment in competition that is not either available on the
market or authorized by the UCI Equipment Unit and previously communicated by the
manufacturer (with a twelve months period for the marketing).

The use of equipment specially designed for a particular athlete, event or performance are
prohibited. "Specially designed" means a bicycle with a technical added value when
compared with other equipment.

In addition, the retail price of the equipment shall be publicly advertised, shall not
render the equipment de facto unavailable to the general public and shall not unreasonably
exceed the market value for equipment of a similar standard.

For the complete document see this way:
https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/equipment/clarificationguideoftheucitechnicalregulation-2018-05-02-eng_english.pdf?sfvrsn=fd56e265_92" rel="nofollow - https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/equipment/clarificationguideoftheucitechnicalregulation-2018-05-02-eng_english.pdf?sfvrsn=fd56e265_92

/Be happy/

Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Road cycling for me. I used to really enjoy badminton but isn't serious badminton all played indoors in the same kind of venues now scorned for TT?

Road cycling it's not game ...TT is game. So if you replace it should replace with different game :)

Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

A bow to you for the right view.

Thanks.

Today I rode 65 km in Houston.  It was 94 F actual temperature when I finished.  My average power for the ride was 190 watts.  I am over 60.  Nothing about the last 40 minutes was fun.  I am cooked.  I'm taking a nap.

Igor, yes I agree the UCI has some good rules about equipment.  I especially like the one you mention, specifically they insist that anything used in even the highest level events has to be something you or I can buy (if we have the cash, a top end Pinaerello F12 Dogma can run about $12,000).  Every single bit on the bike, wheels, tires, chains, other bits -- all of it has to be generally commercially available.  But their rules can also be a bit arbitrary and have a tendency to really reduce technical innovations in bikes.  They suppressed the use of disc brakes on road bikes for a long time.  They also spend a lot of time worrying about stupid stuff, like how high someone should be allowed to wear their socks in a race, and they have been terrible at dealing with the doping problems.  All in all, if you ask road cyclists their opinions about the UCI are quite similar to TT players feelings about ITTF -- not very positive all in all.

In general I would probably be embarrassed to say how much stupid cash I have sunk into my two road bikes including stuff like power meters and fancy wheels, which are ridiculous at what is probably my 1300ish (in TT terms) level of road bike ability.  TT is definitely cheap in comparison.  Of course, as Stilltt says, you don't HAVE to spend stupid money on  bikes.  And Donn may be right, TT EJing is death by a thousand cuts. 

Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Are electric assist bicycles the cycling equivalent of using long pips?

Mark - Who can not paddle or pedal the way he used to (among other things he is no longer able to perform)

Electric assist bicycles are amazing.  I haven't ridden one but before the pandemic hit I went on a group ride and there was a gentleman in his 70s keeping up with a pretty fast group on one.  He was still working hard but also having great fun.  I on the other hand was really struggling to keep up.  I managed to do it but suffered quite a bit in the process, and the week after that rode with a somewhat slower group.

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 4:52pm
well, at least I can still practice escrima. 

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 6:48pm
Speaking of other sports, let it never be said that Texans are not adaptable. 

Here in Houston, one of the global centers of the Covid-19 pandemic, bars are now closed by order of the governor. That hasn't deterred the geniuses who run the Vivid Gentleman's Club, who have set up a drive through strip club. According to KPRC News, you pay up front, like you were ordering a burger, then drive around, and watch the girls through a window (the news report notes that the girls wear masks, which should set a good example for all of you). You get five minutes two songs and then have to move on so as to keep the line from getting too long.

It is that kind of out of the box thinking that will get us through this crisis.

I forgot to mention that the club has a drive through menu featuring pizza, nachos, burgers, chicken sandwiches, and jalapeno poppers  in case patrons get hungry watching the show. 

Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 7:38pm
My 40 years old niece lives in Gabon and she closed her dance/pilates studio (she owns the walls so it's no big deal) and started renting a tennis court to keep business going. I thought she was genius but she has 3 kids to feed so that gives ideas :)

-------------
forum_posts.asp?TID=87220" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: chongqinghotpot
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 9:38pm
played pickleball a couple of times and think it’s fun and economic. It probably will take away some TT time from me.

-------------
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Date Posted: 07/27/2020 at 12:40am
Let's take table tennis outside maybe? when I mentioned my niece earlier I was tapping myself in the back too because a couple weeks ago (not sure which thread) I asked for more play on those concrete tables in parks so we bring the game outside, we adapt. Let's go out and play table tennis people! Hopefully the wind will be on our side. It will be table tennis meets backgammon, wind here, dice there, lots of fun and we do the best we can to protect ourselves and other people. That could be a nice intermediate solution waiting for better days.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/27/2020 at 6:23am
Hi,

In all due respect, this cycling chat in the discussion of alternatives to table tennis is quite misplaced.  This is evident when one considers that inherent in the authentic experience of cycling is sweat.  Many, if not most, in table tennis have elected the non-sweat version of the sport.  This version holds great popularity.  The contrast between the two activities is too great for too many to be taken seriously.

To express this in the most concrete way: Rich Dewitt does not sweat.

Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 07/27/2020 at 1:05pm

Thanks.

Maybe so, but those who are playing him sure do.

Mark - One time victim of Mr. DeWitt and not in any hurry for a 2nd meeting.

Posted By: heavyspin
Date Posted: 07/28/2020 at 7:57am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Thanks.

Mark - One time victim of Mr. DeWitt and not in any hurry for a 2nd meeting.

I recently introduced a friend to our sport. With hardly any TT experience and as a first time Rich DeWitt observer, she may have described Rich's game the best. She remarked (in her Chinese/English grammar) "He just stand there and make opponent run like dog!"   

-------------
A masseuse practicing social distancing rubs me the wrong way.

Posted By: Skyline
Date Posted: 07/28/2020 at 8:11am
The Rich Dewitt style is a genius type of strategy. It's very sad that fit  and athletic players find the need to bash this guys game. Luckily tt is mostly about skill and strategy.

Date Posted: 07/28/2020 at 9:57am

Maybe? No maybes! Rich Dewitt does NOT sweat!

[P.S. I'm 0 for 2 lifetime against him.]

-------------

Date Posted: 07/28/2020 at 1:57pm
Back to the original topic, I've been dabbling in golf and tennis. A video may follow soon.

-------------

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 07/29/2020 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

The Rich Dewitt style is a genius type of strategy. It's very sad that fit  and athletic players find the need to bash this guys game. Luckily tt is mostly about skill and strategy.

This year I've been inspired by this. My training partner has a very similar style and is very infuriating to play against. He's literally like a wall and it takes a lot to actually get a ball past him. And then he does spin and placement variation so well (against any ball he has like 5 different spin options that he mixes and match to drive you crazy, not to mention very good fake motions to disguise them, for e.g. the fake flick that I posted recently, he uses it very often). There's many very good loopers who he absolutely destroys to my amazement...   

There's really no need to powerloop everything at the lower levels despite popular opinion. Touch and placement shots can often be better when the ball is not easy to attack.

For e.g. this year I've been doing BH fades (not a fade loop but rather a pure fade) against quality long fast serves as an alternative to my BH opening loop and surprisingly it was actually more effective haha. The opponents are faced with a strange sidespin ball which they attack tentatively or make unforced errors, then you just redirect accordingly to their deep BH and you would have won the point. 

So the goal basically is not to attack blindly, but to reduce your unforced errors and to create really awkward balls (spin/speed/placement) for your opponent so that he gives you an opportunity ball that you can finish off with a powerful loop. Sometimes that awkward ball isn't a loop but something else... 

-------------
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c

Posted By: liulin04
Date Posted: 07/29/2020 at 6:08am
road cycling is fun until some bastards decide to run you over or come close to bike lanes.  I'll stick to tennis and indoor cycling.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 07/29/2020 at 8:42am

He does if you make him move.  The kid I saw who played Rich the best did it with a very simple strategy.  He served a long breaking pendulum serve to the wide backhand and pivoted on the ball every single time to loop to the (wide) forehand.  It made the match hard to watch.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Carbonado 245
FH: D09C 1.9 R/B
BH: D09C 1.9 B/R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.

Posted By: Skyline
Date Posted: 07/29/2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

This year I've been inspired by this. My training partner has a very similar style and is very infuriating to play against. He's literally like a wall and it takes a lot to actually get a ball past him. And then he does spin and placement variation so well (against any ball he has like 5 different spin options that he mixes and match to drive you crazy, not to mention very good fake motions to disguise them, for e.g. the fake flick that I posted recently, he uses it very often). There's many very good loopers who he absolutely destroys to my amazement...   

There's really no need to powerloop everything at the lower levels despite popular opinion. Touch and placement shots can often be better when the ball is not easy to attack.

For e.g. this year I've been doing BH fades (not a fade loop but rather a pure fade) against quality long fast serves as an alternative to my BH opening loop and surprisingly it was actually more effective haha. The opponents are faced with a strange sidespin ball which they attack tentatively or make unforced errors, then you just redirect accordingly to their deep BH and you would have won the point. 

So the goal basically is not to attack blindly, but to reduce your unforced errors and to create really awkward balls (spin/speed/placement) for your opponent so that he gives you an opportunity ball that you can finish off with a powerful loop. Sometimes that awkward ball isn't a loop but something else... 

developing unique weapons can be super effective look at Waldner, Chila, Timo Boll, Moregardh, Koki Niwa, Ouaiche, Matsudaira etc

Date Posted: 07/29/2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Back to the original topic, I've been dabbling in golf and tennis. A video may follow soon.

Meet Heavystrings and Heavyswing.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/29/2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

He does if you make him move.  The kid I saw who played Rich the best did it with a very simple strategy.  He served a long breaking pendulum serve to the wide backhand and pivoted on the ball every single time to loop to the (wide) forehand.  It made the match hard to watch.

What?!  You saw perspiration on Rich Dewitt?  I've seen him lose numerous matches (some very badly), but I never saw him sweating.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net