Print Page | Close Window

Gewo Nexxus 38, 43, 50 & 53 EL Pro Review

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88625
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 7:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gewo Nexxus 38, 43, 50 & 53 EL Pro Review
Posted By: yogi_bear
Subject: Gewo Nexxus 38, 43, 50 & 53 EL Pro Review
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 2:49pm

I was not able to get hold of 48 degree version and these rubbers have been in the market for several months already but still thankful I've got to try them.

Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 38

Weight: 56 grams

Speed: Off- to Off

Hardness: 38 degrees ESN Scale

Thickness: 2.1mm Sponge

The Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 38 is the softest rubber in the Nexxus EL Series and also one of the easiest ESN rubbers to use in the market. The EL Pro 38 in short has a lot of rubbers that I can compare in the market but it has its good qualities. It is as soft as the Xiom Vega Europe DF version although the Xiom Vega Europe DF is listed as 37.5 degrees but because of the range of hardness they are almost in the same level of hardness. The topsheet of the EL Pro 38 is crisp and very grippy. It cannot be considered as slightly tacky because I cannot feel any slight stickiness when I was pressing my fingers against the topsheet. It is as I have expected a very light rubber and a lot of people will like this for its very low weight and could use this in very heavy blades like those 95-gram blades that are too heavy to swing when paired with 50 degree rubbers. The ball obviously sinks into the topsheet and sponge with little effort but it is not as soft as the Xiom Vega Elite before which easily bottoms out. At least the El 38 Pro

has a little bit of firmness left on its sponge. It is also more firm compared to that of the Yasaka Mark V AD.

As what have been said, this is one easy rubber to use and perhaps the easiest ESN soft rubber in the market right now.  I cannot describe what I felt with this rubber completely as I was not expecting much from this but it sure blew me away with its playing characteristics. The rubber is very linear. You get what you give on this rubber. The sponge and topsheet are both responsive especially on drives and topspins. This is better if you involve the sponge outright with all of you offensive strokes since it is kinda counter-productive  if you do just thin brushing with the topsheet mostly. The sponge has to be involved a lot in a lot of offensive strokes. The soft reactive sponge enables you to do drives and topspins at the easiest level. No wonder this is even good enough for intermediate level at max thickness because this is not too fast. At 2.1mm it offers just more than enough speed that an intermediate player can control properly. I would say it is slower than the Vega Europe regular and faster than the phased out Vega Elite. It took me some strong drives before I could feel the ball bottom out but the level of sponge compression needed was more compared to the Vega Europe DF which in my opinion easily bottoms out.

For the spin, it is very spinny and I would say has a higher amount of spin compared to the Tibhar FX-P

rubber. There are times that the FX-P for me needed a lot of sponge compression and some effort to spin well. In the case of EL Pro 38, the topsheet was much more grippy and has better ball grabbing to produce better quality spin. I have to admit that I am more of an MX-S type of guy and there were times that my spins with the FX-P hits the net and I had to actively adjust my racket angle a few times. I thought I was using a very great rubber. It has almost everything an intermediate and advanced player needs. I prefer this as a backhand rubber. Yes you can smash with this rubber and do spin drives but for me it seems a bit slow and too soft as I prefer the 53 degree version but as a backhand rubber this blocks like out of this world. It has a very stable blocking characteristic that even strong topspin shots are easy to block against with. For punch blocks it seems above average. For looping, it produces a medium low arc. It is spinny but not as spinny as its harder variants. I think this was made as some sort of intro rubbers to more advanced skills and stroke of a developing player and this is better because of control that it offers.

Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 43

Weight: 62 grams

Speed: Off to Off+

Hardness: 43 degrees ESN Scale

This is the most balanced and most all-around rubber among the Nexxus Series. This is still a thin topsheet, thick sponge type just like the other Nexxus rubbers. In my opinion, this is the most balanced rubber in the series as it is good for almost everything but a bit faster than the 38 degree version and has a harder sponge. The topsheet is very grippy bit not to say that it is slightly tacky. I used this with the Gewo Sensus Carbo Speed blade bcause I thought this would lighten the blade. This is still a light rubber at 62 grams uncut and the medium-soft sponge. I can compare this to the Rakza 7 soft’s hardness but I do get a few hardness listings from 42 to 45 degrees and also I’ve had a Rakza 7 Soft that is almost as soft as 40 degrees so I will try my best to compare it to the R7S and some other medium soft rubbers in its class.

The speed is obviously marginally faster than the EL Pro 3 because the sponge compression needed is much less compared to that of the EL Pro 43. Other known rubbers which are in this range of sponge hardness are that of the Xiom Vega Europe (not the DF version) which is listed as 42.5 degrees. The other mentioned rubbers are older by about 10 years for the Vega Europe and about 7 years for the R7S so they are expected to have lesser performance in terms of spin but maybe not much in speed. The Tibhar Evolution FX-P is also about 0.5 to 1 degree softer so this is also within range of sponge hardness.

To compare the speed, the EL Pro 43 is slightly faster than the XVE, R7S and FXP rubbers. I could attribute this to the much newer generation sponge of the EL Pro 43 and also the more elastic topsheet. The speed is quite lively compared to the 38 degree version and it is very bouncy that I would almost say it is an off+ rubber but for me the speed seems to linger between off and off+ which is not a true off+ rubber.

The spin however is quite marginal compared to the mentioned rubbers. You see, the topsheet is quite grippy as what has been mentioned and bite of the newer generation rubbers is miles ahead of the of newer one such as the EL Pro 43. The grip of the topsheet is quite good because I did experience before from before with the other medium soft rubbers mentioned to sometimes hit the net. My personal test for determining the amount of spin the rubber has always been the same and it is to brush the ball. The 38 degree and softer rubbers need a lot of sponge compression while the harder ones needed less. If you have the right brush contact you can spin the 43 degree version more or the harder versions with just brushing alone using mostly the topsheet. I know several factors are in the menu for spin and sponge hardness affects the output of spin but in this case even if I involve the sponge more, I still find the El 43 more spinny than the 38 degree version. The arc is medium and would not reach medium high crossing the net.

What has the EL 43 which the EL 38 does not have? Both have this characteristic of being very easy to use and like what I have said, the 38 is the easiest to use but if you are more advanced in your skills and strokes, I would pick the 43 over the 38 degree version. I am not the type of player that uses medium soft rubbers in my backhand. I use at least 50 degrees in both sides but I think I can live with the EL 43 version if it is the only one I have in my stocks. The power, speed, spin and control are quite good for this rubber. I find it better doing push chops than the 38 degree version because the ball does not pop that much because of the harder sponge. It can be considered as having “gears”. To summarize it is the type of rubber that incorporates all type of strokes with decent amount of power and spin but not to the extreme like the other harder versions. I would put it as an advanced level rubber and maybe to some instances also a good intermediate rubber.

Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 50

Weight: 71  grams

Speed: Off+

Hardness: 50 degrees ESN Scale

The Nexxus EL Pro 50 is characterized by its mark on the topsheet that says “HARD” and with a White sponge. The Nexxus EL 53 degrees also has the “HARD” mark on the topsheet but the sponge is an orange one. The EL Pro 50 is almost in the range of other similar rubbers like the Rhyzer 50, Rasanter R50 or the DNA Pro H. I believe they have the same generation of rubber technology with different descriptions each according to the company that sells them. To cope up with the greater demands of

The game among Pro or high level players, ESN has released increasingly harder sponged rubbers. If you base it on history, only a few rubbers that are hard which are found in the market about a few years ago made by ESN compared to know which every ESN company rubber seem to have something with 50 degrees or harder in the rubbers offered. I can remember that a few years ago only Xiom has a 54-55 degree rubber and maybe Tibhar K1 if I am not mistaken at 50 degrees or more.  Now you can see that it is a trend. Before making a 50 degree rubber with non-tacky but grippy topsheets would be difficult to produce spin compared to what the newer generation topsheets can offer. They may have the speed but the grip and spin generation is quite lesser.

I will take for example MX-P 50 degrees. I believe the Evolution series are quite advanced in their time. As far as I know, they were offered by ESN to a company but then passed on to Tibhar. In the year 2012 or 2013, Evolution rubbers really stood out especially the grip of the rubbers but they are not as effective now compared to before due to the ball change. This is the reason why even if they placed a 50 degree sponge on to the MX-P and probably even with newer company boosting, the 50 degree MX-P is less spinny compared to the EL Pro 50 or other rubbers. The EL Pro 50 admittedly that I have used it now extensively, I would say it has somewhat a little higher level of spin compared to the DNA Pro H or MX-P 50. I could compare it to the amount of spin which the Rhyzer 50 or Rasanter R50 has because they seem to have similar amount of grip. The El Pro 50 has a much higher arc in loops against underspin and sometimes before the ball hits the other side of the table you can sometimes misjudge the amount of spin it has. There are times I thought it was not that spinny when it was passing over the net but when it lands in the table and kicks the moment you block it, you will be surprised with the spin that it has. I would say it has a medium high to high arc like about 3 to 4 inches when you are spinning versus topspin balls. If you have brushing strokes that you can use it in a Chinese tacky rubber, you can actually use it effectively with the EL Pro 50 but with a great adjustment on speed and control.

The speed is a true off+ speed for a rubber. The EL Pro 50 has almost the same range of speed with the Rhyzer 50 or Rasanter R50. If there are differences among the speed I would say it is quite minute or barely noticeable. The 47.5 or 48 degree rubbers may seem to be bouncy outright but the 50 degree rubber like the EL Pro 50 will have a higher ceiling of speed potential due to the harder sponge. This is where sponge compression and skill come in. What I like about harder rubbers is that like Chinese rubbers, they have gears. I believe aside from personal preferences, if you have the skills, harder sponged rubbers are easier to control with delicate strokes such as drop shots or short return. For me who is very used to Chinese rubbers, I find the EL 50 Pro very easy to serve heavy underspin serves. Smashing is one amazing to do with the EL Pro 50 but with blocking, adjustments may be needed especially on active blocking due to the hardness of the sponge. Maybe this is the reason that this is not an intermediate rubber because with stronger shots or blocking against stronger topspins can make the ball overshoot the table but for skilled or experienced players, this is not much of a problem. Overall, this is another offensive rubber that you can choose if you cannot afford Tenergy 05.

Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53

Weight: 77 grams

Speed: Off+

Hardness: 53 degrees ESN Scale

This is the hardest ESN Gewo rubber now if I am not mistaken. Contemporaries in hardness of the sponge are Xiom Omega 7 Asia which is 52.5 degrees and Rakza Z Extra Hard 53-55 degrees. I tested this using the Gewo Sensus Carbo Speed and also placed in my Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon blade in which the other rubber is a Yasaka Rakza Z Hard just for comparison. Although the Xiom Omega 7 Asia may have a range of sponge hardness for its 52.5 degree sponge, I compared the hardness of both and the Nexxus EL Pro 53 is a tad harder while the Rakza z Extra Hard that I have now is as hard as the EL 53. If comparing the topsheets of the 3 rubbers, the Rakza Z EH is slightly tacky while the other 2 rubbers are grippy. The topsheets of the 3 rubbers seem identical without me measuring the pip structure and spacing. Just like the Nexxus EL 50, the “HARD” logo is in the topsheet but this has an orange sponge that is slightly porous.

It is safe to say that the Nexxus EL Pro 53 is very fast and it is an all out offensive rubber. It is slightly faster than the O7A and RZ EH. I also observed that the Nexxus EL 53 has a longer trajectory than both rubbers. Despite the hard sponge, I would say the sponge is still reactive with just a slight sponge compression during topspins and drives. It still has gears like the El Pro 50 but has lesser control due to the very hard sponge. This was designed for an all out attacking shots and much less on passive blocks. It is more rewarding if you do active blocks or punch blocks against passive blocks. I had some adjustments with passive blocking due to the arc of the ball. For smashes and hard counter topspins, it is better if you just hit through the ball with no holding back as I felt this is maximized by strong shots and not by just half cooked efforts.

Spinwise, I would say it has more or less equal spin to the O7A but the RZ EH has more spin due to the slight tacky topsheet. The arc is medium high for topspins versus underspin balls. I would say it feels like a non-tacky but very fast Chinese rubber with a hard sponge. From thin brush loops to hard topspins compressing the sponge, the EL Pro 53 can do this type of spin generation very well. Being a non-tacky but very grippy rubber, deep sponge compression with brush contact is still the best type ball contact for this rubber. Although not as spinny as the RZ EH, the combination of its power and spin generation can still give the RZ EH a run for its money. Spin generation is heavy also for brush loops since you can loop

the ball with thin brush contacts easily. Spins are also heavy with serves and push chops. For short push chops and drop shots you need some adjustments for control and the EL Pro 50 has a better control on this type of shots.

Overall, I highly recommend this to advanced and expert level players. I am enjoying this as a backhand rubber in my Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon because it combines well with thin and semi-flexy blades due to its sponge hardness.

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Replies:
Posted By: jonyer1980
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 6:22pm
Didn't they provide you a 48° version? It's one of the most know of Nexxus series 

-------------
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing

Posted By: andzejgolot
Date Posted: 07/26/2020 at 10:13pm
and xiom omega VII tour has 55 degree sponge...

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 07/27/2020 at 3:26am
omega 7 tour has 55 degrees but it was only released in 2019. 

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net