Print Page | Close Window

Upping speed - Primorac Carbon?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89330
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 5:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Upping speed - Primorac Carbon?
Posted By: Rollko
Subject: Upping speed - Primorac Carbon?
Date Posted: 12/23/2020 at 8:50pm
Hi All,

I'm currently using a TB Spirit with Tenergy 05 on FH, however, with plastic balls, despite putting a lot of effort into my FH  loops, the output is fairly slow and doesn't have the speed/spin and penetration as I would like it to be.

It's a general fact that top players don't really use those super fast carbon (Tamca) blades, however, they regularly put on fresh new rubbers (not to mention boosting), which adds a significant level of speed/spin - very different to using the same old rubber for months.

Without boosting and using the same a-couple-of-months-old sheet of T05, a T05 & TB Spirit combination just feels a tad too slow.

Would a Primorac Carbon be a solution? How does it compare to ALC blades in terms of stiffness, sweet spot, power looping, 3rd ball attack opening, looping against backspin etc?

Replies:
Posted By: andzejgolot
Date Posted: 12/23/2020 at 9:59pm
lol. You probably dont play with better players, 
Find 3+2ply blade even if it cheap yinhe blade with the same composition.
You will feel too much pressure...
My solution... Choose Tenergy 05 hard
Spirit is great blade, you will not find something better. Maybe mizutani zlc....

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 12/23/2020 at 10:05pm
The natural upgrade in offensiveness coming from a TBS would be Iolite, however it´s not sold anymore.
PC has a different feel of TBS, much harder touch, easy speed and much less control. I´m not sure about the sweet spot but I´d say similar to TBS, maybe slightly bigger.
Power looping with it is so fun, this is its best feature. But opening topspins requires more attention than TBS. I believe this is the biggest "cons" of PC: the lack of feedback. Because the blade is so stiff and hard you don´t have a proper feel in sharp strokes. 

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 5:44am
replace t05 with d05. 

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: ghostzen
Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 5:44am
If the output is slow try and improve the stroke a bit if you can. Adapt so you can get more power by creating more of a topspin driving action in the open play. You can also try shortening the stroke and driving through the ball a bit more instead of brushing maybe?.

Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 5:45am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

replace t05 with d05. 

Good idea Clap with give you a bit more agree

Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 5:54am
So my main issue is that I use short pips on BH, which makes the bat lighter and less head-heavy; I feel like the centre of mass is too much in the handle and I don't have that stability, speed and precision on power spin strokes.

Funnily enough, I feel that having a lighter less head-heavy bat forces me to hold it tighter - with a heavier more head-heavy bat I would have been able to hold it more loosely and use the actual bat for precision rather than my squeezing it tightly. Would you say that such a bat allows for a more relaxed play?

D05 could be an option, especially as I feel that against similar/weaker players I can easily dominate with T05, however, with better players, controlling their spin etc is a bit tougher with T05 as if T05 has an upper limit where D05 has more potential. With D05 being slower than T05 though, how would that help with speed? And what about D09c?

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

So my main issue is that I use short pips on BH, which makes the bat lighter and less head-heavy; I feel like the centre of mass is too much in the handle and I don't have that stability, speed and precision on power spin strokes.

Funnily enough, I feel that having a lighter less head-heavy bat forces me to hold it tighter - with a heavier more head-heavy bat I would have been able to hold it more loosely and use the actual bat for precision rather than my squeezing it tightly. Would you say that such a bat allows for a more relaxed play?

D05 could be an option, especially as I feel that against similar/weaker players I can easily dominate with T05, however, with better players, controlling their spin etc is a bit tougher with T05 as if T05 has an upper limit where D05 has more potential. With D05 being slower than T05 though, how would that help with speed? And what about D09c?

D05 is very similar to T05 I feel, it's improved in some aspects. D09c is a completely different rubber concept, it's more akin to a highly tuned/boosted national hurricane 3. 09c requires that you have very good stroke mechanics to maximize its potential, just like hurricane 3. 

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Posted By: jpenmaster
Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 9:02am
Since you are a pips player and want something faster I would suggest taking a look at the Xiom ice cream AZX.  It’s faster  and the 2 different composites may offer something better for your short pips.  D05 is going to give you more gears than T05 but make you work a little harder. In the end they both have similar performance . If you have no issues in service return, short game and the responsiveness of T05,  Dignics may be a waste of time. If you really want give Primorac carbon a shot. It’s going to be totally different being so soft and stiff but you won’t know if it works for you unless you try it. It’s been in the Butterfly catalog for a longtime for a reason.

-------------
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip

Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 4:27pm
I've already tried D05 on a Viscaria, but found it a bit too slow. It was quite a light Viscaria though (84g), so maybe on a 92g TBS that I have it may be a bit different?

However, what stroke me was a significant increase in control, especially in passive strokes, blocks, placement etc. With T05 I felt winning points was all about speed and spin, with D05 I felt I could actually place the ball wherever I wanted and play a bit more strategically, still maintaining similar spin with a bit less speed though.

What makes D09c seem attractive to me is the increased weight to make my bat a bit more head-heavy. Is it worth the decreased speed and ease of play though?

Another thing to take into account, which I already hinted at, is boosting/non-boosting - I've heard that many D09c users boost it heavily. As I don't boost, I wonder if it'd still offer the expected advantaged even without boosting?

Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 5:49pm

I've already tried D05 on a Viscaria, but found it a bit too slow. It was quite a light Viscaria though (84g), so maybe on a 92g TBS that I have it may be a bit different?

However, what stroke me was a significant increase in control, especially in passive strokes, blocks, placement etc. With T05 I felt winning points was all about speed and spin, with D05 I felt I could actually place the ball wherever I wanted and play a bit more strategically, still maintaining similar spin with a bit less speed though.

What makes D09c seem attractive to me is the increased weight to make my bat a bit more head-heavy. Is it worth the decreased speed and ease of play though?

Another thing to take into account, which I already hinted at, is boosting/non-boosting - I've heard that many D09c users boost it heavily. As I don't boost, I wonder if it'd still offer the expected advantaged even without boosting?
I don't think people boost D09c??? You'll probably spoil the rubber lol... D09c takes it even further in terms of spin and control and gears than D05. The control over serve and receive is unreal, which is the primary reason why I play it on both wings. But if you don't have good biomechanics for looping you're gonna struggle with it I feel. Once you put some real power into the loop though, you get massive amounts of spin and power (even way more than D05 which I tested out on my friend's setup). The low end gears are very slow, if you bounce a ball onto the rubber the bounce dies off in two or three bounces.

-------------
-------
Viscaria

Posted By: jpenmaster
Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 8:34pm
If you are looking for more speed and you choose D09C you will be very disappointed. 

-------------
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip

Date Posted: 12/24/2020 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

If you are looking for more speed and you choose D09C you will be very disappointed. 

Fully agree with this. D09c is very slow unless you hit hard with good form.

-------------
-------
Viscaria

Date Posted: 12/25/2020 at 11:49am
What about Dignics 05? Would that help increase the speed in high gears compared to T05?

Date Posted: 12/25/2020 at 11:53am
Thinking about it what about a heavy mazunov maybe? 

Date Posted: 12/25/2020 at 3:34pm
I quite like the carbon feel actually, a 95g TB ALC would be ideal but hard to come by

Posted By: Shifu
Date Posted: 12/25/2020 at 3:42pm
It’s highly likely that the problem is your technique. Improve that instead of using a crutch to make up for that.

Posted By: GSOM_GSOM11
Date Posted: 12/27/2020 at 2:51pm
Primorac Carbon is not the best blade for short pips, beware.
Maybe a heavy Clipper or Avalox P700 will be a better solution, these blades are more suitable for SP. With these ones you can also loop more agressively 'through' the ball without losing spin.

Date Posted: 12/27/2020 at 3:18pm
Why isn't Primorac Carbon best for short pips? I thought its stiffness would be beneficial?

Date Posted: 12/27/2020 at 4:17pm
It's too stiff and speedy. Blocks and counterdrives go very fast and flat, without any arc, like you play with a bare blade. If you land such a shot, it's virtually unreturnable, but it's impossible to land them consistently and control your placement. SP gameplay is all about intellectual placement and picking chances for a kill, not a one-shot 'nasty' return a-la LP pushblocker. I'd prefer control and feel over disruptive effects. IMHO.

Posted By: astaroyd
Date Posted: 12/27/2020 at 4:38pm
there's a review here with primorac himself

Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 8:06am
Does the speed of Primorac Carbon come from a quick rebound and very little dwell time, or the flexibility adding a kick onto the ball? Providing it seems to be stiff and soft, I assume the former?

Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

I have a friend who plays primorac carbon, and I feel it's exactly like how Primorac plays in the video, it's all bang bang bang table tennis, ie get to topspin rally and go hard and fast with small strokes. There's minimal dwell time and feedback, you just basically need to have super good ball feeling and hit hard. If you do that well enough it's amazingly overpowering to opponents who use slower blades (assuming you manage to get into a rally and didn't get destroyed in the serve/receive game)

It's quite a valid style to play too, and if you do bang bang bang table tennis it should suit you.

-------------
-------
Viscaria

Posted By: DonnOlsen
Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Fully agree with this. D09c is very slow unless you hit hard with good form.

Hi,

Not in dispute is the presence of unique characteristics of a given rubber.  Insufficiently appreciated is the interrelationship between the rubber characteristics and the techniques used to deploy the rubber.  

As a specific example: Tenergy 05 or Tenergy 05 Hard stroke techniques will produce unimpressive shot outcomes when applied to Dignics 09C rubber usage.  In contrast, Dignics 09C stroke techniques will produce outstanding shot outcomes when applied to Dignics 09C rubber usage.

Butterfly would not produce a flagship rubber for mass sales into the hundreds of millions of potential customers that required boosting for high level performance.  Needed for Dignics to be in full flight are Dignics stroke mechanism techniques that reflect the inherent qualities of this specific rubber.  These techniques must be discovered and developed by the player.

On a side note: the impressive topsheet engineering advancements in the equipment field of the sport forced Butterfly to produce Dignics.  Tenergy's topsheet was evolutionarily moved to a representative of a prior generation.  Within the full spectrum of shot types in advanced table tennis play,  Tenergy's topsheet is inferior to Dignics' top sheet.

Thanks.

-------------
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by GSOM_GSOM11 GSOM_GSOM11 wrote:

It's too stiff and speedy. Blocks and counterdrives go very fast and flat, without any arc, like you play with a bare blade. If you land such a shot, it's virtually unreturnable, but it's impossible to land them consistently and control your placement. SP gameplay is all about intellectual placement and picking chances for a kill, not a one-shot 'nasty' return a-la LP pushblocker. I'd prefer control and feel over disruptive effects. IMHO.
I could not agree more with this answer. Did you use SP before?
Short pips on stiff carbon blades are useless. Even with ALC blades I found them hard to control. The best options for SP are 7-ply blades like Clipper ou soft carbon blades like Ma Lin Carbon or Soft Carbon.

Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 10:49am
Stiffness and less dwell makes the pips less spin sensitive, which is indeed preferred. Please note that I use them for blocking/hitting through spin/driving, not chopping away from the table.

Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 11:12am

Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

I have a friend who plays primorac carbon, and I feel it's exactly like how Primorac plays in the video, it's all bang bang bang table tennis, ie get to topspin rally and go hard and fast with small strokes. There's minimal dwell time and feedback, you just basically need to have super good ball feeling and hit hard. If you do that well enough it's amazingly overpowering to opponents who use slower blades (assuming you manage to get into a rally and didn't get destroyed in the serve/receive game)

It's quite a valid style to play too, and if you do bang bang bang table tennis it should suit you.

for me pc feels more woody, with more dwell and feedback than viscaria, freitas, mizutani.
it's logical since the outer wood layer is super thick in pc.

also don't forget many girls like petrissa solja, daniela dodean, even lily zhang play with blades that have this kind of construction like pc.

basically pc is fine and a great blade as long as you don't go too far from the table and let the ball drop too much.
so it's perfect for girls because they always play close to the table.

Posted By: Skyline
Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 2:04pm
I'm long time primorac carbon user and I can not think  of a better blade for my game. It's great for blocking, countering and near the table quick attack style of play. It's very stiff but much softer and more controlable  than Gergely Carbon ot t's cheap clone Ovtcharov Carbospeed. The feeling and touch are awesome compared to similar blades.

Date Posted: 12/28/2020 at 6:57pm
Skyline,

What rubbers are you using?

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 4:05am

Skyline,

What rubbers are you using?

Tenergy 05 and 64

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 4:46am

Stiffness and less dwell makes the pips less spin sensitive, which is indeed preferred. Please note that I use them for blocking/hitting through spin/driving, not chopping away from the table.
Then you'd better use frictionless LP or fast antispin rubber like 729 804. As far as I remember, Spectol on PC behaved much like fast anti, but with more speed and longer trajectory.

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 5:01am

Does the speed of Primorac Carbon come from a quick rebound and very little dwell time, or the flexibility adding a kick onto the ball? Providing it seems to be stiff and soft, I assume the former?
Right. On softer, brushy strokes hinoki behaves like a soft wood and gives you some dwell to control. That is why PC is very good for slow spinny loops if you have the right timing and technique. But the problem is that you never brush the ball with SP, you either hit with power, block or drive through the ball. These shots make hinoki behave like a very hard wood, and even more hard with the t5000 carbon underneath. It's like playing with a frying pan: very fast rebound, no arc at all, and no time to control the shot direction.
With a Clipper you have much more options to speed up or slow down the rally, redirect your blocks and even loop with your SP.

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 5:45am

Right. On softer, brushy strokes hinoki behaves like a soft wood and gives you some dwell to control. That is why PC is very good for slow spinny loops if you have the right timing and technique. But the problem is that you never brush the ball with SP, you either hit with power, block or drive through the ball. These shots make hinoki behave like a very hard wood, and even more hard with the t5000 carbon underneath. It's like playing with a frying pan: very fast rebound, no arc at all, and no time to control the shot direction.
With a Clipper you have much more options to speed up or slow down the rally, redirect your blocks and even loop with your SP.

That's not the experience that I have. After using T05 and T64 for a long time I switched to short pips both sides and they are great with primorac carbon because primorac has thick hinoki outerplies. Great control and very nice to play with unlike the ovtcharov carbospeed which has much thinner hinoki outerplies and plays like you describe.

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 7:28am
What is the maximum weight range of PC? Do 95g pieces exist?

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

That's not the experience that I have. After using T05 and T64 for a long time I switched to short pips both sides and they are great with primorac carbon because primorac has thick hinoki outerplies. Great control and very nice to play with unlike the ovtcharov carbospeed which has much thinner hinoki outerplies and plays like you describe.

Lol Primorac Carbon with short pips both sides, I would hate to play against you haha... 

-------------
-------
Viscaria

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 7:42pm

Lol Primorac Carbon with short pips both sides, I would hate to play against you haha... 

I am a nightmare to play against for most yes

Date Posted: 12/29/2020 at 10:21pm

I am a nightmare to play against for most yes

Damn, which short pips are you using? Maybe I'll buy one setup like that just for fun to experience some bang bang bang table tennis hahaha

-------------
-------
Viscaria

Date Posted: 12/30/2020 at 12:12am
Rakza po and speedy soft dtrcs

Posted By: vik2000
Date Posted: 01/01/2021 at 1:49am
Goodness, if you use TBS with T05 and still can't generate speed, the equipment is the last thing you need to worry about. 

Date Posted: 01/01/2021 at 7:57am
-andro treiber fo/s
-donic persson world champion 89
-donic crest off
-yinhe t8s
-andro treiber q
-butterfly zhang jike super zlc
-butterfly zhang jike t5000
could be some alternatives that are similar to viscaria but a bit faster.
there's so many different blades LOL

or just start using some booster to liven up the rubbers.

Posted By: ludo
Date Posted: 01/05/2021 at 12:13am

What is the maximum weight range of PC? Do 95g pieces exist?

BTY rates it at 88g but it's easy to find a 90+ grams.
95g would make it an absolute beast Tongue
Mine is 85g with two G1 on it and it's really fast already but has enough dwell for slow loops. 
High throw inverted rubbers are recommended.

Btw, the ST handle is really thick.... a great surprise coming from TB ALC.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net