Print Page | Close Window

Which penhold grips is the best for my style?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89740
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 2:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which penhold grips is the best for my style?
Posted By: PhilippVttc
Subject: Which penhold grips is the best for my style?
Date Posted: 03/11/2021 at 8:42pm
Hey guys,

after 5 years of playing shake hand, I want to try out the penhold grip because I think it suits my game well better(forehand dominant player with focus on loop kills). I would like to ask you guys which penhold grip would be the best for my playing style. Ma Lin ones (one finger support) wang Hao (curved two fingers) or xu xins (three flat finger support).

Thanks
Philipp

Replies:
Posted By: JediJesseS
Date Posted: 03/11/2021 at 10:31pm
You need to find your own feeling.

Posted By: aeoliah
Date Posted: 03/11/2021 at 11:13pm
+1
Just go ahead and play, and you will find it out by yourself which kind of grip is nice for you.

-------------
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Posted By: JohnnyChop
Date Posted: 03/12/2021 at 12:36am
I think the variation in the penhold grip is largely dependent on what you want to do with your bh. I think it's better to look at ma lin, wang hao and Ryu seung Min  for comparison as Xx went through quite abit of evolution in his career. 

Ma Lin 's game is focused around the FH loop(3rd ball) with traditional penhold backhand (tpb) with occasional reverse penhold bh (rpb) to create chances for his FH loopkill. Onething I realized with ma Lin grip is that it offers lots of flexibility for wrist movement which allows for more subtle variations in the short game and tpb. However Ma probably had the worst rpb compared to WH and XX

Wang Haos grip is designed for FH loop and rpb with no tpb.  I feel WH's grip is the most natural and the most stable for the rpb strokes and the easiest to block and loop with the right angles however I feel it's more restrictive in wrist movement in the short game

RSM's grip is to maximizes his FH loop with no rpb at all. Also the jpen handle allows you to hold the paddle more shallow gip ( further away from the wings of the blade) compare to cpen, which to me creates more power for the FH. 

But honestly just play and the way you play will shape your grip... When I first switched from shakehand, it took me a while to find a comfortable grip for all the shots I rely on I am sure you will find yours too and it probably won't look like anybodies

-------------
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max

Posted By: JohnnyChop
Date Posted: 03/12/2021 at 12:39am
Also hope you stay with penhold, as I feel there are less and less of us here anymore! 

-------------
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max

Posted By: V-Griper
Date Posted: 05/18/2021 at 11:07am
The grip you choose will come with some optimization tradeoffs.

Best all around/balanced between FH and BH, imo, is WH's grip.

XX's grip is a little more optimized around the FH with as slight compromise on the BH. 

Some caveats though-

Their grips are partially associated with their particular hand physiology so just using that grip, while a good starting reference point, won't necessarily give you the the same feel. 

The ability to comfortably adjust the paddle angle is very important, imo, so make sure that whichever grip reference you go with that you don't compromise this.

Watch WH's training vid and pay special attention to the part about thumb and finger pressure usage to manipulate the paddle angle. 

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net