Print Page | Close Window

The serve is more important than you think

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Pictures & Videos
Forum Name: Videos
Forum Description: Post table tennis video download information here.
Moderator: mickd
Assistant Moderators:

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90570
Printed Date: 04/23/2024 at 3:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The serve is more important than you think
Posted By: Charlie Brown
Subject: The serve is more important than you think
Date Posted: 08/09/2021 at 10:19am
weak serves = winning returns ... work on your serves do at least a basket of balls on one variation each daily.

-------------
*sigh*

Replies:
Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 08/09/2021 at 11:34am
I like to say that there are 3 parts of table tennis. The serve, the serve return and the rally. Each equally important.

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 08/09/2021 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I like to say that there are 3 parts of table tennis. The serve, the serve return and the rally. Each equally important.
This is so well put. It really underlines that no matter the number of times the ball is struck AFTER serve and SR in the rally, the rally has no higher status than serve and SR during which the ball is struck once.

One could pick on the idea saying that ITTF rules include the serve and serve return in the  rally, it seems unavoidable. Could we find a name for the part of the rally after the serve return to consolidate that idea? how about the rally-end?

"There are 3 parts in table tennis: the serve, the serve return and the rally-end."

or (more emphasis on s and sr):

"There are 3 parts in table tennis: the serve, the serve return and the rest."

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: tuco
Date Posted: 08/09/2021 at 5:15pm

I have to say serve return is the most important part of the game.  If you cannot return your opponent's serve, there is no rally.

-------------
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 08/10/2021 at 5:23am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

This is so well put. It really underlines that no matter the number of times the ball is struck AFTER serve and SR in the rally, the rally has no higher status than serve and SR during which the ball is struck once.

One could pick on the idea saying that ITTF rules include the serve and serve return in the  rally, it seems unavoidable. Could we find a name for the part of the rally after the serve return to consolidate that idea? how about the rally-end?

"There are 3 parts in table tennis: the serve, the serve return and the rally-end."

or (more emphasis on s and sr):

"There are 3 parts in table tennis: the serve, the serve return and the rest."

The quality of the service and the return determines whether you will be in an advantageous active position in the rally, or a disadvantageous passive position. Not to mention direct mistakes in the receive.

It is the key part of table tennis which makes it so complex and interesting imo compared to other sports where the power/skill/movement matters a lot more. 

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Posted By: penholderxxx
Date Posted: 08/13/2021 at 9:22am
I like to say that there are 3 parts of table tennis. The serve, the serve return and the rally. Each equally important. ' - vanjr

Perhaps, we may wish to consider the phrase; 'the serve, the serve return and the returns'. 
Technically speaking, a serve and the return and 'the returns' are parts of a rally.
Is this agreeable ?

-------------
Iloveplayingtabletennis

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net