Print Page | Close Window

Hurricane 3 Neo unboosted?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90637
Printed Date: 03/28/2024 at 11:20am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hurricane 3 Neo unboosted?
Posted By: liulin04
Subject: Hurricane 3 Neo unboosted?
Date Posted: 08/22/2021 at 8:56pm
I've never been a booster. And so I was wondering how well does a Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial rubber unboosted play out. I've played with Hurricane 3s many years ago, but ever since I switched to Tenergy, I've never looked back. While I tried going back to Hurricane 3 at times after watching the likes of CNT players, I was often turned off back the lack of speed and the hard sponge. For those who have played with this rubber. What do you think in terms of not boosting? Thanks!

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Replies:
Posted By: Leftstudio
Date Posted: 08/22/2021 at 11:00pm
H3 unboosted? no fun. i used to boost a lot (2 layers of booster) then the rubber turned soft after 2 weeks of play. Then I tried H3 NEO unboost on Long 5. The first 20 hours was great - rubber had power and the tackiness made it fun to play, especially the control of spin and placement. 
After that the NEO became dead - it is time to boost again - then rubber turned soft - then straight to garbage can. 

I, personally, like to lightly boost my original H3 (1 thin layer of Seamoon) then use 3-4 layers of Finezip because the glue is elastic. I am not a fan of H3NEO - they die pretty quickly. 

I tried H2 and loved it - it is harder than H3 which is very important for Chinese forehand technique - unfortunate I cannot find a reliable source for H2 purchase (maybe someone can help me?)

All my H3 is 41 degree hardness and i prefer orange sponge as they are hard to bubble. 
If you don't boost H3, you still can play with it. The rubber is super slow but spinny.  It is just not fun as it is meant to be boosted. 

-------------
No signature required

Posted By: liulin04
Date Posted: 08/22/2021 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Leftstudio Leftstudio wrote:

H3 unboosted? no fun. i used to boost a lot (2 layers of booster) then the rubber turned soft after 2 weeks of play. Then I tried H3 NEO unboost on Long 5. The first 20 hours was great - rubber had power and the tackiness made it fun to play, especially the control of spin and placement. 
After that the NEO became dead - it is time to boost again - then rubber turned soft - then straight to garbage can. 

I, personally, like to lightly boost my original H3 (1 thin layer of Seamoon) then use 3-4 layers of Finezip because the glue is elastic. I am not a fan of H3NEO - they die pretty quickly. 

I tried H2 and loved it - it is harder than H3 which is very important for Chinese forehand technique - unfortunate I cannot find a reliable source for H2 purchase (maybe someone can help me?)

All my H3 is 41 degree hardness and i prefer orange sponge as they are hard to bubble. 
If you don't boost H3, you still can play with it. The rubber is super slow but spinny.  It is just not fun as it is meant to be boosted. 

Ah gotcha. Thank you so much for the insight. I didnt know an unboosted H3 can die that quickly. I personally think boosting is too much hassle also, I prefer to just glue once and not having to worry about regluing again unless the rubber is dead. But for a rubber to last just 20 or so hours, and even after boosting it still is useless, then I think it would be best for me to stick with Dignics or Tenergy again. Thanks again sir for the insight. 

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Posted By: Chairman Meow
Date Posted: 08/23/2021 at 12:09am
My experience is pretty different. I've always used H3 unboosted (41 degrees) myself, and have tried it boosted on other people's rackets. I prefer the extra control over speed I get with the unboosted rubber since I can just supply more power myself. I've never had any trouble with it being too slow. Like you, I think boosting is too much of a hassle. It takes time, it reduces the life of the rubber, and it costs extra money. The benefits it gives also don't mean much to me personally, though I can see why many other people boost their rubbers. 

My experience with durability is the complete opposite of what Leftstudio wrote. H3 lasts longer for me than ESN rubbers, and is on par with or better than Tenergy (I've never used Dignics). I usually replace mine every 6 months to a year depending on how often I play. I hate H3 within the first day or two of play. It's way too tacky out of the package. Boosting would definitely make this stage of H3's life very nice, though. After some breaking in, it reaches a level that I like and stays there for quite a while. After ~4 months, I start to notice it dying a bit (slowly), and after 6 months I'll probably think of replacing it but might use it longer if I feel like there's still enough life left for it to work.

Note: I usually try to buy H3 regular (non neo) since the neo does "die" pretty quickly. In reality it just turns into regular H3 after a bit, but regular H3 is fine for me. I just don't like the extra change involved; I'd prefer a rubber with more consistent behavior throughout its life. Sometimes I'll buy neo but I usually peel off the factory glue layer it comes with to help it lose the "neo" quicker. I'm OK with neo for the 37 degree version of H3 though; that one seems to stay alive much longer.

Posted By: DreiZ
Date Posted: 08/23/2021 at 12:28am
I’ve played with boosted and unboosted h3 neo, mainly unboosted.

When I boost I try not to overboost so I usually use only two light layers of booster (Falco tempo long). 

Initially it plays great first few weeks, great feel and rebound. After booster effect dies down, the rubber still has amazing control and spin, just lacks some kick. That’s about the difference for me. I usually only reboost h3 neo once (after initial boost, and that’s a few months down the line if I feel it needs it), I noticed if I try to do it more than twice overall the rubber just looses its integrity, and plays weird, possibly the tension is gone, maybe from being stretched out.

Since then, i have only boosted blue sponge h3 neo, with only one layer and it played amazing. I haven’t reboosted it and it’s been 2-3 months, it still plays great. Want to make it last as long as possible.

Boosting is great, But I also hate waiting for the dome to go down so I can glue it. And sometimes the rubber can separate if it’s strongly boosted. Because of that I’m moving away from booster, and given my skill level factory boosted rubbers would suffice.

-------------
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725

Posted By: comodoensis
Date Posted: 08/23/2021 at 3:25am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

I've never been a booster. And so I was wondering how well does a Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial rubber unboosted play out. I've played with Hurricane 3s many years ago, but ever since I switched to Tenergy, I've never looked back. While I tried going back to Hurricane 3 at times after watching the likes of CNT players, I was often turned off back the lack of speed and the hard sponge. For those who have played with this rubber. What do you think in terms of not boosting? Thanks!

Depends on playing distance, and which sponge (orange or blue)

For orange sponge 

-Close to table (zone 1-2), it's fine to use it unboosted, or maybe 1 thin layer if there is a need for more elastic feeling.
-mid distance to far (zone 2-3), it depends on one's physical strength and preferrence, but still, some might prefer to boost it a bit more for elasticity

Somehow, orange sponge unboosted, 40 degree feels fine unboosted, borderline mushy with plastic balls. What mushy means is, it feels like the sponge is not solid enough, hence less cracking sound upon hitting. Some people enjoys it for being easier to brush the ball, but not me. I'm too used to add a bit more drive in loops. Sometimes people misread the spin because of the cracking sound, since im where I live, there aren't many people using chinese rubber, so it's my advantage in matchplays. Most prefer to buy used tenergies rather than buy a new chinese rubber, yet in my opinion at some point, they're still not at the level to be able to maximize it; pushes popping up, blocks and drives went long, and anything else, you name it. Oh well, what a funny place to live, where developing kids are using blazing fast blades like garaydia series, fast tensors, and even medium pips at the early stage just to have bigger chance to win at junior championships LOL

For blue sponge, just boost it no matter what, except one has a tendency to enjoy dead, hard feeling rubber on the forehand side (definitely me. Tried neo provincial blue sponge 40 degree unboosted, it feels like I've found the holy grail LOL). Though blue sponge are more elastic than the orange sponge, it also have greater resilience, which means its elasticity starts to come into play in higher impact shots, or faster acceleration

CMIIW

Posted By: Hozuki
Date Posted: 08/24/2021 at 5:14pm
Unless one is a defender, there is no point in unboosted hurricane.
I would just boost until it's to my liking. However, some sheets just preform subpar no matter how much booster is applied.
So now I just use dignics 09c. Boosted of course :p

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 08/25/2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

Unless one is a defender, there is no point in unboosted hurricane.
I would just boost until it's to my liking. However, some sheets just preform subpar no matter how much booster is applied.
So now I just use dignics 09c. Boosted of course :p

Hello, my precious Mr. Hozuki

Good to hear you still boosting rubbers as hell. You are most welcome to enter our Great Kingdom of Ping Pong Cheaters.
We, the King Crooky Skunk XXIII, will present you with a big bottle of Dianchi booster in good memory of your joining to our famous Kingdom. .
Come on, my dear, take your chance..

His smelly Majesty, the Skunk XXIII

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 08/25/2021 at 3:17pm
Booster or Dopers, which is worst?  Don't ask (anyone associated with ) ROC.  What a joke.

Posted By: anubhav1984
Date Posted: 08/25/2021 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Leftstudio Leftstudio wrote:

A good source for buying DHS products would be TT11 as they are the authorized resellers of DHS products in Europe. Their prices are also reasonable, unless you are looking for Provincial and National versions, which really get very expensive on TT11.

-------------
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided

Date Posted: 08/25/2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

I have constantly flipped flopped between H3 (and its Neo version) and regular tensors. I find that when I am in peak shape and form, Hurricane 3 gives me the best results as it requires one to always actively engage the ball and passive shots or half-hearted shots don't give you much.
Where tensors (and I am generalizing that term for anything that has a speed glue effect inbuilt - tenergy or mx-p or whichever one you like) shine is in their ability to be a bit flexible in passive shots and still land a decent quality ball.
Now, a boosted H3 (neo or otherwise) is a different beast. I prefer the blue sponge for boosting purposes the best but they do die out pretty quickly. The moment you try and boost a blue sponged H3 (or Neo) the 3rd time, they develop a high likelihood of developing a bubble (at least that is what my experience with them has been). Plus, out of the package, Provincial Blue Sponge is a bit more springier than the regular commercial H3 Neo itself. So, I do feel that it can be used as is for some time but then if you are not used to a full motion swing on your forehand side, the topspins just lack enough power to be an outright winner. So, to get the max potential out of a H3 (any version) requires one to be on the top of their technique and master the chinese style forehand (more brush than hitting). 
Also, boosting is a heck of a lot of hassle and the reason why i recently gave up on H3 was because I hit into a sheet that just domed the other way (sponge inwards) the more layers of booster I applied on it. After supplying it with 3 thin layers of booster (the second time I boosted the rubber) I just gave up and I still have that sheet lying around somewhere.
What I am trying out these days are the hybrids. I got a Bluegrip C1 for a friend recently and it definitely feels like a variation of a boosted H3 Neo. Similarly, I am testing out Omega VII China Guang right now and Vega China to see if they offer me the same playing characteristics as that of a boosted H3 without the drawbacks of it. I am liking the Bluegrip C1 so far but only time will tell if it really is that much better than a boosted H3 to be considered a long time rubber for me.

-------------
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided

Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 08/25/2021 at 10:02pm
I think the OP was asking if there is an H3 neo that works well unboosted???? I have the same question. I have never tried H3 or H3 neo boosted, but have only tried cheaper, commercial versions. Do any of the provincial or national H3 neo versions at T11 play well unboosted? I do think T11 has good quality stuff and I expect the H3 neo national and provincial versions are true and accurate. Anyone know?

Date Posted: 08/25/2021 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I think the OP was asking if there is an H3 neo that works well unboosted???? I have the same question. I have never tried H3 or H3 neo boosted, but have only tried cheaper, commercial versions. Do any of the provincial or national H3 neo versions at T11 play well unboosted? I do think T11 has good quality stuff and I expect the H3 neo national and provincial versions are true and accurate. Anyone know?
Tt11 stuff is indeed genuine. They are also here on the forum so they can also comment but from what I was told, they are an authorized DHS reseller/distributor!?
Now, coming to the question of how good the provincial and national versions are - they won't play well in the hands of someone who doesn't have a Chinese style forehand. You have to have a full arm swimlng to utilize their power. Boosting them makes them behave a bit better but I personally feel that there is no significant value gain between provincial blue sponge and national blue sponge. Orange sponge variants have a bigger difference gap but I think your ROI is best at provincial blue sponge.
They won't play like new tensor Chinese hybrids still. So you can't be passive in the game with these rubbers as they will feel very inconsistent then. 

-------------
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided

Posted By: Hozuki
Date Posted: 08/27/2021 at 4:58am
Just boost, it's not cheating and anyone who thinks it is, is delusional like Igor, prefering to pay a price premium for rubbers that are boosted by the factory anyways. Also durability can be enhanced by boosting, which is good. Therefore happily boost your hurricanes or whatever and stop whining Igor it's embarrassing 

Posted By: comodoensis
Date Posted: 09/06/2021 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Definitely plays better than the commercial grade. Better topsheet quality, better product consistency, more accurate sponge thickness and density. Especially in the newer batch of commercial grade, although the topsheet and sponge bond is better than before, the sponge and topsheet quality is crap. Some have good sponge, crisp and solid, some are mushy. The topsheet somehow doesn't grip the ball well (I've compared it with my clubmate's provincial neo orange sponge at the same hardness, d40. The provincial grips the ball better, sponge feels crisp and solid. Logically, the national is even better)

For now, I stick to apollo 5. Cheaper, feels hard enough (hardness d39, overall topsheet + sponge hardness perhaps equal to d40 provincial blue sponge hurricane 3 neo, though it lacks elastic feeling which is a strong point of hurricane 3's topsheet) to be imparted with strong impact, means a pleasure to whack the ball all day long LOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net