Print Page | Close Window

Maximum distance to the club

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: General
Forum Name: General
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about any table tennis topics.
Moderator: NextLevel
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94036
Printed Date: 04/24/2024 at 9:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Maximum distance to the club
Posted By: stiltt
Subject: Maximum distance to the club
Date Posted: 01/22/2024 at 5:22pm
Whether you are driving, biking or using public transportation, what is the maximum distance or time above which you say "that's too much!".

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Replies:
Posted By: jfolsen
Date Posted: 01/22/2024 at 8:00pm
I tend to play for 90 minutes to 2 hours, so maximum distance for anything but a special event is an hour.

Posted By: Lightspin
Date Posted: 01/22/2024 at 11:56pm
I used to drive 2 hours 1 way for lessons or take a train 2 hours 1 way just to practice.  Those days are long gone as if I cannot get to the club in 20 minutes, I am staying home. 

Posted By: skv_lviv
Date Posted: 01/23/2024 at 12:11am
Closest location for me is 25 minutes away from my house. Add 15 minutes to change clothes and to have some short warm-up. It gives 40 minutes one way and 40 minutes back to get 1 hour training. It is a lot for me. And if I had to spend more time to get to a table, I would try to reduce visits frequency. 
I tried to go to another location 1 hour away and 2 hour training time I had a huge feelings that I'm vasting my time, and that my whole day is useless (4.5-5 hours in total is just too much for working day) . I'm not going to repeat this experience. 30 minutes is max for road to a training.
But 1 hour is fine for tournament

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 01/23/2024 at 7:05pm
I drive 2500 miles to play at the Willamette TT Club in Salem, Or.

But I do stay there 4 months and get to live at the club itself so maybe that is not so impressive after all.

Mark -  Homeless TT bum who is always looking for a table to play on or sleep under.

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 01/23/2024 at 7:10pm
I go downstairs to play my two regular practice partners.  The highlight of my year is when mjamja visits.  The nearest club is 1:05 hrs away to play players at my level.  2 hours away if I want to play better players.  Don't do the two hour drives anymore.  Four hours of driving to play 5 or 6 matches isn't worth it to me.  Add the cost of gas and I can't justify it.

Posted By: liulin04
Date Posted: 01/24/2024 at 5:18am
after I moved to a new city during my high schools freshman days in the 2000s, I would walk from my house to my local Bart station (~an hour each way), takes the Bart to Oakland (~30 minutes with about 6 stops one way), then walk another 30 minutes or so, just to play at my old club for about 3 hours.  That was some crazy dedication then.  And the streets were much safer back then...  

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35056&PN=14&title=feedback-liulin04" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Posted By: ABT
Date Posted: 01/31/2024 at 3:32pm
1 hour of play is basically nothing. You should reduce number of visits and increase hours.

Posted By: skv_lviv
Date Posted: 02/01/2024 at 3:08am
Originally posted by ABT ABT wrote:

1 hour of play is basically nothing. You should reduce number of visits and increase hours.
Having three 1 hour sessions with a coach and multiball is better than having one 2 hour session without coach and without multiball. It is not ideal, but actually enough: 5 minutes warm-up drills, 30-40 minutes multiball, 5-15 minutes serve and serve receive tasks, 10 minutes game play. Maybe my blocking skills are not so good now because I don't do different drills in turns with my friend, but I don't block a lot in real matches anyway. And it is more intense this way, it took me around 2 years of gradually increasing from 1 time/week to 3 times/week to get to a state when I'm not willing to die after and during training session (well, there was a covid in the middle and I had to start all over again, but anyway it was a long road). I definitely wouldn't call that nothing

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 02/01/2024 at 2:52pm
25 minutes away from your house for an hour of high quality training with a coach is definitely in the reasonable range. Doing it 3 times a week is awesome, congrats for being able to set yourself up for such a tt lifestyle. Clap

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: Stavros
Date Posted: 02/16/2024 at 4:27am
25 minutes driving for me plus 25 for the return .

-------------
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05

Posted By: AcudaDave
Date Posted: 02/16/2024 at 7:16pm
5 minutes

-------------
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net