FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Problem with tear mender

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 8:58pm
One thing for sure, never stretch modern rubbers when you glue them, whatever adhesive you use.  This is different from the old days of speed glue.
Alisha_Hooksit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisha_Hooksit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

But then doesn’t the rubber expand in thickness after immediate application to the blade? The voc have to go somewhere and then, after the voc are gone, I’d be afraid of getting a third different rubber, including the one I won’t have a chance to try, the one off the package
Maybe I am nitpicking here...
I support any method that doesn’t change the characteristics of the rubber and that does not put the blade in contact with water. The intermediate method BeaverMD mentioned is closest to that imo.

I really haven't noticed any thickness expansion probably because I press it right away, but would assume that with size expansion there would be more corresponding swelling also, which will dissipate with the VOC evaporation. When that happens the Rubber should be back to the original size/thickness and not produce speed glue or tuning effects, so that I feel this is an ethical technique also. Results may likely vary with differing rubbers and the amount of glue applied (less is more IMO), but by all means give it a try and see how it works for you.

One potential issue is that the adherence of the Rubber to the blade may not be as secure as a rubber primed with additional layers, especially when the Rubber is new. With new rubber it may peel up easier in some spots, typically along an edge. When that happens I just spread some glue in there with a thin flat stick and press it, not a difficult fix.

Edited by Alisha_Hooksit - 06/29/2018 at 10:16pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 6:33am
Or you could just use regular TT glue. I really don't understand the resistance to this. But I guess I am a dinosaur.
Alisha_Hooksit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisha_Hooksit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 9:09am
I am something of a fossil too, for us types Elmers RC has always been our regular TT glue. It was only after RC was juiced up into speed glue that these issues came about from the controversies this begat (blame on those sinister alchemist geeks). I also prefer not to seal my blades so my resistance to WBG remains even as the product has improved some, and so will remain content to deal with any RC issues for such time until a non-toxic product will have satisfactorily evolved into a superior table tennis glue.

Edited by Alisha_Hooksit - 06/30/2018 at 9:11am
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 9:52am
I have only used RC. I reglue once every two months in an open garage and I don’t use my fingers. Hearing some of these ‘Issues‘ I just have to laugh.
Photino AN/TBS Black Tag: T05 Hard(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I have only used RC. I reglue once every two months in an open garage and I don’t use my fingers. Hearing some of these ‘Issues‘ I just have to laugh.

Better get with the program JT.  In TT, when there is no issue, you have to create one.  Just ask the ITTF Smile
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Better get with the program JT.  In TT, when there is no issue, you have to create one.  Just ask the ITTF Smile

Nah!  The horse is so dead...LOLLOL
Photino AN/TBS Black Tag: T05 Hard(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 11:53am
RC is fine and great with sponged inverted. But you can not use it with LP OX.
For LP OX, Tearmender comes in handy.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 1:04pm

Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Nah!  The horse is so dead...LOLLOL

RIP Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic