Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions on World Championships in Houston
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions on World Championships in Houston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on World Championships in Houston
    Posted: 08/06/2021 at 3:13pm
1. Anyone know when we may know whether they will allow spectators? How likely is the chance that spectators may be allowed? 

2. The dates (Nov 23-29) overlap with Joola NA Teams. Is there any consideration/possibility that Joola Teams might be moved / rescheduled to avoid the conflict, considering many Teams players are likely interested in buying WTTC tickets (and this is the first time ever on USA soil)? 
It'd be unfortunate if a large number of people are unable to go due to the conflict. 

Edited by mmxx - 08/06/2021 at 4:13pm
Sponsored Links

PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2021 at 10:41pm
Joola teams won't be rescheduled, the dates are determined with the Gaylord Hotel and Convention for mid term contract periods. USATT were fully aware of the conflict it would create when they chose these dates. They had 3 options available, and chose the option which conflicts with both Teams and the Pan Am Junior Games. This means athletes like Kanak Jha for example will have to choose to represent USA at pan ams or in Houston as they won't be able to play both.

It's unfortunate that they would make such a decision, but said it wouldn't have any effect with no spectators (however of course this situation was always likely to change, and now has been).

http://mhtabletennis.com
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2021 at 12:32am
I know a number of people in my local area and throughout the state who are not very happy with teams and the ITTF event happening same time. Many of these want to do both and would do both if they were on seperate weeks, but alas, there are some considerations about the teams that make it difficult to change the dates, even 6 months out... and even IF teams would be able to cheange dates, there might not quite be the same participation with a changed date.

Tought situation.

Edited by BH-Man - 08/08/2021 at 12:33am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mmxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2021 at 8:45am
according to this 7/15 article it looks like fans will be allowed, and tickets will go on sale in august:

What if ticket sales end up disappointing (many ppl can’t go)? It would affect USA’s chance to host future such events wouldn’t it

Edited by mmxx - 08/08/2021 at 1:55pm
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2021 at 12:39pm
Just wondering how long USATT will want to hold major events in the State of Texas. It's probably too late now to move the Worlds elsewhere, but the international media coverage about the reactionary Texas legislation has already been catastrophic. What kind of environment does this create to welcome young men and women from around the world? You might as well go to Belarus or Afghanistan. (Of course ITTF will go anywhere as long as they can make money.)

Edited by amateur - 09/04/2021 at 12:40pm
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2021 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by mmxx mmxx wrote:

according to this 7/15 article it looks like fans will be allowed, and tickets will go on sale in august:

August of which year?
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 1:58am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Just wondering how long USATT will want to hold major events in the State of Texas. It's probably too late now to move the Worlds elsewhere, but the international media coverage about the reactionary Texas legislation has already been catastrophic. What kind of environment does this create to welcome young men and women from around the world? You might as well go to Belarus or Afghanistan. (Of course ITTF will go anywhere as long as they can make money.)

Clap
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 5:39am
As someone who lives in Texas I tend to agree.  But I selfishly want to watch the tournament 
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As someone who lives in Texas I tend to agree.  But I selfishly want to watch the tournament 

Yes, if USATT boycotts Texas you would have to travel to another state to get your TT fix. On the bright side, you can now make 10K by denouncing some Uber driver who helped a rape victim get to an abortion clinic. Isn't that a good deal?
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2021 at 8:38pm

IMO this is an inappropriate political post. This is a table tennis board. I have no idea what the poster means by how Texas will welcome people from around the world? I can say with greatest confidence with a big Howdy. Afghanistan? Ridiculous. (Edit-only thing we have in common with Afghanistan is both are hotter than heck right now).

Edited by vanjr - 09/05/2021 at 8:41pm
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2021 at 1:39am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

IMO this is an inappropriate political post. This is a table tennis board. I have no idea what the poster means by how Texas will welcome people from around the world? I can say with greatest confidence with a big Howdy. Afghanistan? Ridiculous. (Edit-only thing we have in common with Afghanistan is both are hotter than heck right now).

Sorry but if a flagship tournament is held in a place that has recently passed legislation which even Joe Biden has referred to as an unprecedented assault on women's rights, then this is definitely an issue tonbe discussed on a table tennis forum. 
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2021 at 10:58am
simon, do you live in Vietnam? I don't think table tennis should be canceled there, despite the well recognized human rights abuses and lack of freedom. (BTW we had a Vietnamese exchange student one year-great person). Same goes for China, even North Korea, lol. 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2021 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Mixing sports with politics tends to get a bit messy and is usually bad for the sport in the long run. My view is that most such actions are more posturing and PR stunts than serious actions trying to affect change. I think that they usually hurt athletes most.  So I generally don't like them. 

That said, I'm OK with organizations doing what they will. In this case, I'm assuming the cost would be quite high - even if they have some useful escape clauses in their contracts. And given that it is possible that either the ITTF or USATT might act on this, it does seem appropriate for speculation. But I could do without the exaggerations and hyperbole. That's the kind of thing that tends to degrade forum discussion. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
flamingmdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingmdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2021 at 10:30pm
So did they start selling tickets?
I can't find any link to buy them on WTT website or elsewhere. 
Darker 5P-2A | random inverted rubbers
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2021 at 9:58pm
tickets are now available!
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 10:14am
Tickets where?
Shiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

How much are tickets?
tomkat22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomkat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 12:12pm
It's no secret Texas is a fairly conservative state(well except Austin),but so are a lot of other parts of the US. It would be ludicrous,asinine and just plain stupid for any entity to not hold an event in Texas just because the Texas legislature and Governor have a conservative "lean". 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Shiro Shiro wrote:

Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

How much are tickets?

I just want the frickin' link. USATT was supposed to send it this morning and I know of one person who got it. But I sure didn't. Very annoying.

That one person said it was $500 + $75 for VIP tickets. That seems OK to me.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I just want the frickin' link. USATT was supposed to send it this morning and I know of one person who got it. But I sure didn't. Very annoying.

Maybe "premier access" means that it's limited to one person? The venue doesn't even list the event yet, just the 61st Annual AutoRama:
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2021 at 11:35pm

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Maybe "premier access" means that it's limited to one person? The venue doesn't even list the event yet, just the 61st Annual AutoRama:

I got a link from a forum member and also USATT finally sent me a link. The whole system was a cluster f... and it took me a long time to figure it out. Maybe I'm just stupid. But my prejudice is that the site is poorly designed.

I chose a package and selected a seat. It brings me to a checkout location and I press "Continue". It brings me right back to the seat selection page. No extra messages. Just loops me back to where I was.

Well, after banging around I finally figured out that it sends you back so that you can select a seat for each time selection in your package. The initial seat you picked may not be available each day. So if you selected the Weekend All Access package, you had to loop back and re-select seats 3 or 4 times for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, etc. Again, no hint that you need to select your seats multiple times. The only reason I eventually figured it out was because it allowed me to do that and the prices for the added seats were $0. So it finally clicked what was going on. 

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 1:55am
I am still waiting for them to send me a link as well and nothing so far only an email that a link will be emailed to me
Stiga Intensity, Viscaria, Clipper Wood
tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by tomkat22 tomkat22 wrote:

It's no secret Texas is a fairly conservative state(well except Austin),but so are a lot of other parts of the US. It would be ludicrous,asinine and just plain stupid for any entity to not hold an event in Texas just because the Texas legislature and Governor have a conservative "lean". 

I don't think it would stupid for "any entity" not to hold an event in Texas because of its current politics.  That would depend on the entity.  As for the discussion relating the hold the WTTC, I don't think it should matter since they have recently held it in China and Russia.  Don't think Texas is anywhere near the extremes of those two countries.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

I am still waiting for them to send me a link as well and nothing so far only an email that a link will be emailed to me

The World Table Tennis/ITTF actually sent me a link.  I didn't get anything from the USATT.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 11:42am

World Table Tennis Championships Tickets

PREMIER ACCESS

Tickets are now on sale for the 2021 World Table Tennis Championships hosted in Houston, Texas, November 23-29. Take advantage of your priority access TODAY and secure your seat at the lowest available price. Tickets are limited, so you'll want to act fast!

Use the code: " USATT " at checkout

WorldTableTennis.com

tom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 1:04pm
At least they put the right player (LSW) on the advertisement.
wangchen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wangchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 2:23pm
QUOTE=stiltt]  Tickets are limited
[/QUOTE]

Made me laugh so hard.
Harder  than when I saw the price was $500 

I would not buy any tickets at all.  If I was going, I would just go on just the day when the most  players will be in action and buy ticket for that day only unless you are so hung up in hoping to see Ma Long win his fourth in a row. Even then I would just buy tickets for that final day only. 

I expect the ticket prices to drop drastically unless some serious politics will be involved. But unless prices drop drastically, the worldwide TV audience will be treated to an empty arena. This happened in many world championships during the cold war. I don't know if China brought in communist party workers to watch for free during previous events and will do so again in 2022 ....this used to be a big joke in eastern USSR bloc countries before the cold war. It would be fun to see how North Korea did in 1979 & will do so again if given a chance LOL   
wangchen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wangchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 2:28pm
What is Daily Hall B3 (as shown for ticket pricing) ?

Is this just practice arena where there will be no matches ?  If you want to meet and talk to players , this may be a far better choice.

If there will be matches here, then there is no need buy tickets for main arena at all until maybe one day later

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2021 at 3:21pm
I thought the weekend and Monday for $210 was a pretty good deal 4 or 5 rows behind the front ones but chances are many seats will go on sale a few days before the event if they panic about an empty arena. I am not sure I want to surf that wave though, the wttc in the usa is rare enough for me to NOT be cheap for once :)
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2021 at 4:05pm
Here's a good overview of the various options:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic