Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Quick Serve Question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Serve Question.
    Posted: 05/08/2011 at 9:01pm
Noticed with the Pendulum serve when players are performing backspin serves, some swing down on the ball to create backspin(chop down motion), some swing up to create backspin(chop up motion), and some swing horizontally(chop horizontal motion). Just wondering which creates the heaviest backspin or spin in general. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 9:14pm
for me, chop up, contact at 7:00 o'clock... but then i loose too much control this way... i normally contact at 6 o'clock...

i chop down when i want a fast long backspin serve.... 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 9:20pm
Isn't six o clock mean your paddle edge is perfectly facing the sealing at basically a 90 degree angle? Nice.
cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 10:16pm
I like to have all my serves contact the white line on my side so that they travel fasterover the net. I can't contact the ball perfectly horizontal for this serve as it is way to slow and allows my opponent to get a better read on the ball. I would say the angle I serve at is like 15 degrees higher than a horizontal serve.
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 10:47pm
open face, contact between 4 and 6 o'clock on the ball. the chop up motion makes the ball sit up too much....which then makes it easy to flip kill. the safest is the chop down motion (contact between 4-5 o'clock).

all of them can create a decent amount of spin. it all depends on your feel.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 12:32pm
Sit up too much as in having so much spin that its a slow ball?
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 12:43pm
as in the bounce ends up too high and that it is slow to come back down.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

for me, chop up, contact at 7:00 o'clock... but then i loose too much control this way... i normally contact at 6 o'clock... 
That would be a ghost serve.  To get any speed your paddle must travel horizontally very fast since only the tangetnial force is making the ball go forward.   This requires very precise timing.
2wingloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wingloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2011 at 9:05am
Maximum backspin will be generated only when the paddle is parallel to the board..i.e, the contact occurs at the bottom of the ball....... when u strike  ball upwards, it is more of reverse spin (ghost serve) than backspin.......
Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa JO Gold (FH)/Yasaka Mark V (BH)

Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa X1(Turbo) Platin(FH)/Xiom Vega Europe (BH)
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

as in the bounce ends up too high and that it is slow to come back down.
It only does that if the speed is too slow. When chopping up like that it is imperative that you drop your weight with your legs as you contact the ball to keep the trajectory tight and allow for a faster short serve. When the serve is faster, the ball wont "bite" the table and let the spin out.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2011 at 8:36pm
I found out that it's possible to get a lot of backspin with an open racket angle(chop down motion) too, and makes it easier to deceive your opponents since it's much easier to do side-top serves with open racket angles. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic