Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rapid Fire Cross Court Warm Ups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rapid Fire Cross Court Warm Ups
    Posted: 05/11/2015 at 11:12pm
I'm fortunate to have a recent opportunity to train with a former Chinese National Team member. It's a bit frustrating, however, that my fitness is at an all time low so I can't get nearly the benefit that's potentially there. When we warm up, she forces me to counter with what I consider very rapid exchanges. I wonder if this is a good warm up. I wonder if she considers this normal pace. Does this seem a bit on the fast side for warm ups? 

Now get this. In the video below, this isn't her normal style - she plays classic short pips penhold. At the beginning of the session, she offered me the choice to have her use SP penhold or 2 wing inverted SH.  

Edited by heavyspin - 05/11/2015 at 11:13pm
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 12:54am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I'm fortunate to have a recent opportunity to train with a former Chinese National Team member. It's a bit frustrating, however, that my fitness is at an all time low so I can't get nearly the benefit that's potentially there. When we warm up, she forces me to counter with what I consider very rapid exchanges. I wonder if this is a good warm up. I wonder if she considers this normal pace. Does this seem a bit on the fast side for warm ups?
Former CNT! Why would you bother questioning her? If she says, "Do it" then my advice is DO IT.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 2:13am
As far as warm up goes, hitting harder and faster (but still at a controlled pace) would help you drive the ball into the blade's wood a bit more to get clearer feeling in your hand.  This could definitely help warm up your touch in a different way pretty quickly.  Another way to simulate what this is warming up does while alone is to smash a ball out of your hand and into the net, point blank, repeatedly.  There is a training video somewhere out there where I saw Ma Lin doing this same thing.

One of my former coaches Fei Ming Tong (Taiwanese National Team) mentioned this briefly to me and also made me warm up at a similar pace in our sessions.

Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 7:36am
Not sure if rapid inconsistency has any benefits...

Surely it would be better to go steady and pop the occasional random fast drive in...

Then build up to rapid consist exchanges. ...

Or she should block your drives a your pace and you block hers so she can get her warmup at her pace...

She looks so CNT style. Wow! I'm moving to your hood...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
diedona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diedona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 10:05pm
wow... that's damn fast... I think she is doing just a normal pace (for her). But i think you are handling it well! Hope it's good for you :)
Xiom Aria - ST
Xiom Vega Europe 2mm (bh & fh)
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 10:06pm
That does seem really fast for just getting warmed up, to me.

Just watching it does seem like shes going far too hard at times.

So let me ask - can you communicate with her?

We have a very good Chinese coach in my area, but doesn't speak much English(and I do not know much Mandarin). So I do not ask her for any coaching. I think it is very important to be able to talk to your coach or practice partner in detail on exactly what you want to work on.

In this example, I think slower and more consistent would be good for the first few minutes before ramping up to that speed. Both have value.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

She does not speak English but, because of my being an experienced player, we can communicate. It's mostly done in pantomime, for example I make a backspin motion with my racket then point to a spot in the table instead of asking her to serve short underspin to the middle. I decide which drills I'd like to work on.

Here's a short clip from a simple drill for me to practice my backhand flip serve return. I requested via signals to have her serve mid depth serves to the middle, and we play out the point after my return. I also pointed to her SP penhold racket for her to use. I think I impressed her a little bit with my running forehand.

An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 10:54pm
You do not need to know a lot of Mandarin, heavy; but it might help to be able to say something like nin bu bi da nemma kuai a! (you don't have to hit so fast).  

(I hope I got that right.  My Mandarin is definitely not what it was fifty years ago).

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/13/2015 at 11:27am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 11:10pm
Hey Berndt,
Did you notice in the final 10 seconds of the first video that I almost attempted the Ma Long celebration leap?
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2015 at 11:23pm

Hey Berndt,
Did you notice in the final 10 seconds of the first video that I almost attempted the Ma Long celebration leap?

Durn burn it.  How could I possibly have missed that?
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
CipheR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CipheR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 2:37am

Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

She does not speak English but, because of my being an experienced player, we can communicate. It's mostly done in pantomime, for example I make a backspin motion with my racket then point to a spot in the table instead of asking her to serve short underspin to the middle. I decide which drills I'd like to work on.

Here's a short clip from a simple drill for me to practice my backhand flip serve return. I requested via signals to have her serve mid depth serves to the middle, and we play out the point after my return. I also pointed to her SP penhold racket for her to use. I think I impressed her a little bit with my running forehand.

Didn't she say "Oh wow, nice!"? :)) Maybe she can speak english?
ㅈㅈ지지ㅎㅎㅋㅋ
Nittaku Custom Blade
FH: Neo Hurricane 3 Provincial
BH: Xiom Musa
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 6:34am
Pace is good cause it definitely sharpens you up, but she does get excited unnecessarily at times. Maybe she's taking a liking to you Wink
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 12:39pm
Thanks for the comments. My philosophy on playing is consistency first, then speed and power second. I might feel uneasy hitting at a lower accuracy rate, but I think it's good complimentary training as long as I continue to practice my control game with others.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 1:36pm
heavyspin,

doesn't look like she is making you run around too much in the mentioned warm up, so it should warm you up faster as long as you keep the stroke compact (which you did nicely).  if you are not at your best form then it is when you try to do so impressive shots that will destroy your form for a while till you have a chance to recoup physically 
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 3:32pm
It's my understanding that the women at the higher levels tend to play with fast counter hits more than looping, so that's normal for her. I have hit with a female  ex provincial player and she would warm up like that. I have adopted that kind of warm up as well but can only do it with few people as it is cooperative.  I think the key is to be very controlled with regard to your placement and gradually ramp up the counter hit frequency. This pushes your ability to cycle your your stroke very quickly as well as other things like small footwork adjustments. I notice that she makes a footwork adjustment on every shot even with the fast cycle time. That's a pro level tip in and of itself because she does it even if she only has to move and inch or two. That footwork adjustment means she is less likely to compensate too much with her arm, which in turn makes her stroke extremely consistent. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 4:26pm
Warm up is more like juggling. Not much fun if one person goes so much harder than the other person.

In fact I just got done hitting with a guy who would stand way back and try to counter loop. He rarely got any ball on the table (10% of the time?). My main worry was making sure the ball stayed in our barriers.

That's also no fun.

Edited by wilkinru - 05/13/2015 at 4:27pm
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:48pm
The tempo is ok as long as you can handle it , any you can handle it perfect. Fast tempo is good it keeps your reflexes sharp and your focus for the ball also. I believe you can try even faster but with a smaller motion, your technique is very good I noticed that you hit every ball to your sweet spot FH and BH (counterhits and topspins) so you dont have anything to worry about the tempo or your technique. 

May I ask what's your equipment?
my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic