Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

robin devos losing his mind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: robin devos losing his mind
    Posted: 05/14/2019 at 7:49pm

for the part where the mind is lost go to 14:23 Tongue

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 9:13pm
It seems that Devos also got a yellow card after losing the 3rd game but it wasn't shown in the edit.

I think a lot of people of any level from bottom to top in this sport have a sort of mentality that if you play a style that isn't a fast offensive style, that your style is somehow "less than" and shouldn't be allowed to win against their "powerful" offense.

Ouaiche might lob too much for my preferences but I love that he plays a unique and very allround style that changes the pace of the game. I think that Devos felt that since he wasn't outgunned, so to say, that he shouldn't have lost the match.

I think it's a terrible mentality to have and hurts future players from exploring other ways of playing. While it's true defenders and allrounders will have trouble breaking into the top 10 in the world, if a player has the toxic mentality that fast offense is the only way to play then he might be limiting his personal abilities.

For example, let's say this player peaks at 350 in the world playing a purely offensive game but if he played an allround game like Ouaiche, he peaks at rank 55 in the world. Wouldn't it be advantageous for that individual to play a style more suited to his abilities than to follow some shallow dogma that you're only allowed to hit the ball hard?
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 9:29pm
I like the style of ouaiche too.... so smooth Thumbs Up
I think he might have learned it from patrick chila (coach of france now), or at least got some influence.

in top top level like against the chinese and so on.... he might be giving up too much table.
check ma long or fan zhendong, they never go away from the table.

as for devos, I think he was just angry that he lost.
nothing against the style of ouaiche.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 05/14/2019 at 9:31pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

as for devos, I think he was just angry that he lost.
nothing against the style of ouaiche.

Yes, I'm taking a lot of liberties and making a lot of assumptions in regards to what Devos actually thinks but I was reminded of the topic and it's still a plausible possibility.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 9:46pm
I don't get the sense that Devos was pissed at the style of his opponent, he just seemed disappointed to lose such a close match, and one he felt was winnable. There were some very high quality rallies, and both played to an excellent standard. Tough one to lose.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 9:47pm
"For example, let's say this player peaks at 350 in the world playing a purely offensive game but if he played an allround game like Ouaiche, he peaks at rank 55 in the world. Wouldn't it be advantageous for that individual to play a style more suited to his abilities than to follow some shallow dogma that you're only allowed to hit the ball hard?"

Totally agree. And it can be more fun to watch!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

"For example, let's say this player peaks at 350 in the world playing a purely offensive game but if he played an allround game like Ouaiche, he peaks at rank 55 in the world. Wouldn't it be advantageous for that individual to play a style more suited to his abilities than to follow some shallow dogma that you're only allowed to hit the ball hard?"

no way someone would be 350 with one style and 55 with another style.
in the case of ouaiche I think if he only looped and attacked he would be in a similar position in the ranking.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 10:18pm

in the case of ouaiche I think if he only looped and attacked he would be in a similar position in the ranking.

I was just pulling a random number. Even if I said 150, the point still stands.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I was just pulling a random number. Even if I said 150, the point still stands.

you think if ouaiche didn't defend his ranking would be lower?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 11:36pm

Not specifically that. I'm saying that if he changed his style, he would not play as well as he has.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2019 at 11:44pm
I Watched that match live.  Devos was up 9-6 in the 7th and lost 5 straight points to lose the match.  There may have been other things, but he fought so hard that was enough to lose his mind.  He was also fairly passive from 9-6.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/14/2019 at 11:45pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Korbel ST
FH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc C-1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 12:16am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Not specifically that. I'm saying that if he changed his style, he would not play as well as he has.

I don't know....
his defensive shots look cool and it's entertaining to watch.
but if a chinese coach grabbed him and forced him to play chinese style over the table I don't know what would happen.
maybe he would be even more effective than he is now.
flamingmdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingmdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 6:31am
Ouaiche is one of my favorite players to watch. 
Reminds me good old days of 38mm ball when we had a lot of different styles and tactics rather than  overpowering your opponent.
Nittaku Ludeack / T05 / Vega Pro
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 7:11am
What kind of discipline does Devos receive for throwing his racket? There should be some.
DS
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 10:55am
I would be pissed too if I loss from 7-2 up in the 7th.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 11:30am
student

vs

master

I still have a tibhar chila blade and use it often, glad they are doing well Beer

Edited by pingpungpeng - 05/15/2019 at 11:47am
Sinek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 1:20pm

student

vs

master
Oh, that master type playing, that old school-like curves, ability to change the pace off the game and strokes. It was such beauty to both play and watch other's plays back than. Game is still beautiful, but I am one of them who misses smaller balls I guess... 
Main:
   Blade: BTY M Maze AN
   FH: H3 NEO Commercial
   BH: Another cheap chinese

hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2019 at 5:55pm
the 40mm ball is perfectly fine, there's no reason to change other than to make money off easily broken balls it's kind of ridiculous. 
USATT: 2047 as of 2019
purpletiesto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpletiesto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2019 at 4:23am
Originally posted by danseemiller danseemiller wrote:

What kind of discipline does Devos receive for throwing his racket? There should be some.

He got a yellow card. But they don't carry over to the next games. So good on him. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic