Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rules (& regulations) of tabletennis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rules (& regulations) of tabletennis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alford View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rules (& regulations) of tabletennis
    Posted: 05/16/2022 at 2:16pm
I am NOT looking for ITTF Handbook of rules & regulations.

And I found it for USATT

But I am looking for links to pages for Rules of Table Tennis in as many countries as possible,
Such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Japan. England  etc

Thanks  
Sponsored Links

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 2:23pm
Each TTA use the ITTF's book.
Or you are searching for rules before founding the ITTF?

Edited by kolevtt - 05/16/2022 at 2:24pm
alford View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

And how are people / players in a certain country supposed to know that ? 
Is this stated in the ITTF rulebook & referenced by the TTA of a given country ?
Maybe you can give some TTA examples ?? 

I never said or meant before founding of IITF

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by alford alford wrote:

And how are people / players in a certain country supposed to know that ? 
Is this stated in the ITTF rulebook & referenced by the TTA of a given country ?
Maybe you can give some TTA examples ?? 

I never said or meant before founding of IITF

It is very easy - each country's TTA is a member of ITTF and => Obliged to follow ITTF Rules at all.
Some exclamation could be possible for different tournaments by decision of the main umpire of the tournament. If you ask for the method of doing the local tournaments in different divisions, that's another question. You are asking for a scheme about the divisions or what?
alford View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 5:10pm

It is very easy - each country's TTA is a member of ITTF and => Obliged to follow ITTF Rules at all.

It may be a very easy "assumption" for those playing in tournaments etc but  sorry, not easy at least for me.

All I am asking is a quote from different TTA's confirming your above statement.

Many TTA's such as TTCanada, TTAustralia, TT New Zealand, etc make absolutely no references to your claim that they default to ITTf rules. In fact unless I am missing something, I see no references at all to ITTF in most TTAs, big & small that I looked at

Some exclamation could be possible for different tournaments by decision of the main umpire of the tournament. 

You mean the referee ?  So these exemptions (some of them serious)  won't be stated in tournament flyers (prospectus) ? 

You are asking for a scheme about the divisions or what?

No 

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 5:41pm

I am NOT looking for ITTF Handbook of rules & regulations.

And I found it for USATT

But I am looking for links to pages for Rules of Table Tennis in as many countries as possible,

Thanks  

Each member country organisation follows the ITTF rules as published on their website.

In England, it is down to each local league and event organisers to publish the event or league rules that are exceptions or give greater clarity to the ITTF version. Below are links to Table Tennis England and a couple local leagues'

Simply search for handbook in the league
Tibhar Drinkhall Defensive Classic. FH:Stiga Mantra M max,
BH:Gewo Proton Neo 2mm

Vodak 4APC - FH:YoungShine DianTing, BH: Butterfly Dignics 09c

Delusion is an asset
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 6:13pm
ENGLAND LEADS ITS OWN WAY.

Rules Chapter 2 is mandatory for all National Associations. Chapter3 is only mandatory for international competitions.
As an example, England ETTA sanctioned the use of no-name rubbers for lower England leagues.

Be happy.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 6:31pm

It may be a very easy "assumption" for those playing in tournaments etc but  sorry, not easy at least for me.

All I am asking is a quote from different TTA's confirming your above statement.

Many TTA's such as TTCanada, TTAustralia, TT New Zealand, etc make absolutely no references to your claim that they default to ITTf rules. In fact unless I am missing something, I see no references at all to ITTF in most TTAs, big & small that I looked at

Still not sure which is your question, as I think I have answered it already. Each National TTA is following the ITTF rules. In some private tournaments ITTF rules could be partly changed by opinion of the sponsor by one or another reason (advantage system for example).
National Tournaments are all about connected with ITTF rules. No exclamations here.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 7:40pm

Some exclamation could be possible for different tournaments by decision of the main umpire of the tournament. 

You mean the referee ?  So these exemptions (some of them serious)  won't be stated in tournament flyers (prospectus) ? 

You are asking for a scheme about the divisions or what?

No 

each TT NSA has an ITTF-trained umpire and referee so I do not see the logic why they should not follow the ITTF rulebook? there are some exceptions to some rules but generally ITTF rules are used. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

each TT NSA has an ITTF-trained umpire and referee so I do not see the logic why they should not follow the ITTF rulebook? there are some exceptions to some rules but generally ITTF rules are used. 

I posted this several times, but topic owner seems is looking for another answer. Maybe he thinks each TTA has its own rules and maybe expecting to hear somewhere people are still playing up to 21 points. Or maybe more. Still don't understand the meaning of his question.

Edited by kolevtt - 05/16/2022 at 8:23pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 8:34pm

I posted this several times, but topic owner seems is looking for another answer. Maybe he thinks each TTA has its own rules and maybe expecting to hear somewhere people are still playing up to 21 points. Or maybe more. Still don't understand the meaning of his question.

i do not know what else is he looking for after being presented with answers. 
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 10:30pm
ITTF handbook is the rules followed by most TTA that I have visited (over 20+)

OP, I can share with a link, and you can get your answer (since you don't agree with what is in this thread), go to www.google.com and you can search every country follow by TTA and you can find your rule books and compare.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 10:31pm

don't even understand the reasoning for such question.

maybe he does think some countries uses 38mm balls, 21 point game, black rubbers on both side, difference size table and nets, etc etc
alford View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 10:35pm

My question was not abut referees or umpires etc.  My question was simple.
Where does it say on any country's website that it is is defaulting to ITTF rules & regulatuons ?
I am not asking about what they "actually" do at tournaments.

If a newbie comes to say TT Australia website, where exactly it says what their rules & regulations are or a statement that they default to ITTF rules ( Keep in mind....I am a newbie ...I do not even know what ITTF is and I do not know anything about forums for tabletennis) 

If you go to USATT webpage 

they have some set of rules on this page as well as a list of other rules & regulations.

If you goto TTEngland they have something similar to USATT

I am looking for webpages (if they exist) on websites other ITTF affiliates where they have something like USATT or TT England

I went to many other websites such as TT Canada , TT New Zealand,  TT Australia, TTFI  etc. I could not fnd a  similar webpage.  

Thanks

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2022 at 10:50pm

I am looking for webpages (if they exist) on websites other ITTF affiliates where they have something like USATT or TT England

I went to many other websites such as TT Canada , TT New Zealand,  TT Australia, TTFI  etc. I could not fnd a  similar webpage.  

Thanks

I think the problem is not that they don't or do use ITTF Handbook, but rather many TTA website is run by contractors or part  timers. Many TTA dont have funds to have a full on marketing/web development team to constant make sure the website is for everyone. This is a general problem.

Should you wish to know what every TTA uses, since you a newbie, and you need an answer - emailing them for the rules is another option.
Whether they reply could be another issue, but should they do reply you, then it makes up for the short coming.

So knowing you a newbie and have the interest to know which website shows the rules and which website doesn't, what is your purpose? is it in the rules itself or rather which one needs to update they sites?

It took me less than 1 min of each, maybe you just need to know where to look.

alford View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 12:46am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

I think the problem is not that they don't or do use ITTF Handbook,

I never claimed that other TTAs should or should not default to iTTF rulebook. It was many other posters in this  thread who repeatedly keep making that claim but I do not see it on any of the national affiliate websites.

I am also not 'demanding"  that every association "must" make a rule page available. All I am asking is for a link if one exists that is all. 

Should you wish to know what every TTA uses, since you a newbie, and you need an answer - emailing them for the rules is another option.

No I am jsut asking the forum. I did not realize I would offend so many posters. 

It took me less than 1 min of each, maybe you just need to know where to look.

This is all is what I was asking.  I did miss this im my search & that is why I asked for help. But i did not realize I need certain level of intelligence & web savvy to be allowed to post in this forum. I apologize.
I just asked here  because I thought there may be posters from other countries who may have their national TTA Association. Obviously I was out of line since I seemd to have have offended so many posters for just asking about rules of table-tennis as intrepreted by your country's association.  

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 12:59am
I don't think you offend anyone.
You asked, and many answered with same answer, yet you still want proof, or went satisfied with the same answer.
So no one knows what you really want.

TT has basic rules throughout, and governed by ITTF Umpire course trained umpires, with club, regional, national, international accreditation etc. Off the same handbook.

But if you compare to say basketball, there is international rules and each country (league) could have its own small changes (ie shot clock, 3 point line, quarter length)

In TT each league could also have its own uniqueness, ie, first to 7 in the decider, no deuce. More commonly is the match scorecard, ie, 5 matches, 7 matches, 9 matches, 10 matches, 14 matches in a teams league match.

This is vast amount of information, which you didn't really ask for, but if you want to know the differences and what country has what, then maybe start another thread and ask the questions more thoroughly.

At one point, I thought you even wanted to know the TT constitution, by laws per country

Edited by ZApenholder - 05/17/2022 at 1:00am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 1:04am
also, for newbies or hobbie players. Rules are only applicable for competitions that has umpires.
If you playing in your garage, you can make your own rules, and trust me, most of the time, many things in there break the rules - ie table, light, bat, service, ball etc.

if you are a club player, you will know where to find the rules, I would say, mostly through the club.
And yeah, TTA website isn't the best place for information. Even ITTF website is not the easiest to operate.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 1:17am

My question was not abut referees or umpires etc.  My question was simple.
Where does it say on any country's website that it is is defaulting to ITTF rules & regulatuons ?
I am not asking about what they "actually" do at tournaments.

If a newbie comes to say TT Australia website, where exactly it says what their rules & regulations are or a statement that they default to ITTF rules ( Keep in mind....I am a newbie ...I do not even know what ITTF is and I do not know anything about forums for tabletennis) 

If you go to USATT webpage 

they have some set of rules on this page as well as a list of other rules & regulations.

If you goto TTEngland they have something similar to USATT

Thanks

your question may not be about referees or umpires but can you jot reconcile the connection? if they are trained by the ittf then they will use the ittf rules on most of its contents. the answers have already been presented to you. 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
alford View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 1:23am

You asked, and many answered with same answer, yet you still want proof, or went satisfied with the same answer.
So no one knows what you really want.
Many gave information I realy did not ask for.
Such as affiliate rules defaulting to ITTF rules. But when I asked for a link that states that on a given country's  website. nobody gave me the proof & also seemed very upset at me.   

TT has basic rules throughout, and governed by ITTF Umpire course trained umpires, with club, regional, national, international accreditation etc. Off the same handbook.

With all due respect, I was not asking about your opinion or those on the forum  about rules as you see them.  No offense intended but I am just asking for official version. If none exists that is perfectly ok. I only asked if such a page exists for each association.

But if you compare to say basketball, there is international rules and each country (league) could have its own small changes (ie shot clock, 3 point line, quarter length)

This is perfectly fine since that is EXACTLY what I am trying to understand. The commonalities with ITTF & the differences as mandated by each afffilates OFFICIALLY but I am not asking "interpretations" as seen by forum members. Nothing personal & you can still discuss them separately but that is not whatt I am looking for here

Edited by alford - 05/17/2022 at 1:27am
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 3:31am
For Australia, the tournament forms (that you fill in to enter an event) will usually mention that they follow ITTF rules, and this is what all official umpires abide by as well.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 4:26am
I think you should read your question again.
If you don't provide a good question, don't expect a good answer.

Everyone did not know what you are trying to ask....

I had to put on my thinking hat to guess it, hence I used "basketball" equivalent to see if that is where you are going.
So, as I said, re-ask your question and maybe you will get some productive answers

and I gave you an answer - the proof you want, might not be on the website. Because many TTA don't put a lot of things on the site. So it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it means you need to get off these forums and email them to gather your proof.

now a separate question - why do you need say a list of 20 or 200 different league rules?
(ps, maybe if you put your motive, people can understand better, and provide you what you need)

Edited by ZApenholder - 05/17/2022 at 4:29am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 4:31am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

For Australia, the tournament forms (that you fill in to enter an event) will usually mention that they follow ITTF rules, and this is what all official umpires abide by as well.

correct
the tournament prospectus will normally include everything, from table brand, ball brand, playing format,  and ITTF rules being followed.

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 8:16am
[QUOTE
My question was simple.
 [/QUOTE]

After several reputable forum members posted their counter questions and suggestions, our friend, the topic owner posted MY QUESTION WAS SIMPLE. I almost died by laugh! LOL

Okay then, maybe we don't understand well english language, please beg for our pardon Smile
kagin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kagin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2022 at 10:46am

I am looking for links to pages for Rules of Table Tennis in as many countries as possible,

The question seemed pretty simple to me. Several countries maintain their own rules.

As far as i know, the USATT rules you linked to were never approved by the board of directors. They're on the web site and therefore people will use them, but the last approved rules had provisions for service judges, smaller courts, and some other stuff:

I know that Germany has their own rules because they permitted coaching throughout the match in domestic competition (not just between games and during timeouts) for a few years before they proposed it to the ITTF. But their regulation structure is quite complex and i couldn't tell you exactly where they deviate from the ITTF:

Japan has their own set of rules, also in the form of amendments to the ITTF rules. However i can't find the complete rules on their web site. I only see the incremental revisions, such as:
The placeholder page for the rules is empty:
Maybe it's somewhere else.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic