FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSalary part time coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salary part time coach
    Posted: 02/18/2019 at 9:40am
Hello! 

I have been playing tabletennis for almost 20 years, and have been a part time coach for a little more than 10 years. Today i am a part time coach for kids 2, 3 times a week. 3 groups everytime, with a total of almost 4 hours. 

I am interesting in what my salary per hour should be? what other part time coaches have. 

At the moment i have 10 USD(around 100 kronor) per hour. I think that all the other coaches in the club that are not as experienced as me have the same. Therefor i think i should have a somewhat higher salary because i have been a coach much longer and proably are more competent. I would like my salary to be 15 or 20 USD per hour. 

I do this mostly for fun so the salary is not that important. But many of the groups are not so motivated, do not listen and do not fight very hard so it takes alot of energy from me. The groups are also very large so that make it more difficult and harder.  So i think i should be payed somewhat well for it.  I also have a adult group, that is much more fun so i could do that almost free. 

I hope there are some part time coaches for kids, youth out there that can answer my question. Or other people that know something about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 
Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 11:02am
10-15 euro per hour would be normal here I guess.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 3:04pm
The price of a group lesson is different from an individual one-on-one lesson.

If you feel you are under-paid, just raise the price to whatever level you feel is justified - and see how it goes.

If the participation stays the same, then that's all good for you.
If the participation falls off the cliff, then you know that you have made the wrong decision.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/18/2019 at 3:05pm
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 3:21pm
Are you being paid by the club that you work for at a fixed cost per hour?
Or are you being paid directly by the participants in the group lessons?

Generally speaking, group lessons should pay better than one-on-one training. The students pay less, but there are many more of them, your pay should be more. It is also harder to organize groups.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Are you being paid by the club that you work for at a fixed cost per hour?
Or are you being paid directly by the participants in the group lessons?

Generally speaking, group lessons should pay better than one-on-one training. The students pay less, but there are many more of them, your pay should be more. It is also harder to organize groups.
if she were to be paid by each individual she wouldn't earn 10$ an hour. You only earn more in group sessions than in private sessions, if you offer your service outside of a club training. 
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 5:26pm
I forget to mention that i am a coach for a club, and they pay me per hour. If i do not get 15 USD or more i proably will play myself instead. Feel that i am seriously underpaid at the moment  for my experience and the amount of job i do. 

If the players i coach were a little more motivated the money would not be as important. Now it takes alot of energy to get the players to listen, focus and fight at the table. So i feel that i need to earn more doing this. It is really fun to be a coach if the players are a little more motivated, but it is really a struggle if they are not. 
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 5:49pm
you should try to offer private training to players. You'll earn more, can keep coaching and will have motivated players.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 7:23pm
Lula is a she? I always just assumed she was a he. Sorry.

I think paying adults would generally be the most motivated ha. Everyone is super motivated where I train. It's about 13USD per hour for a group session, and 45USD per hour for one on one. I don't know how much the coaches make though, since they're hired by the company, so they get the same regardless of how many students and sessions they teach. The cost of living would also be different here.

It definitely seems worth talking to your club about it and seeing what they say. If you're been there for awhile, they may be more than happy to accommodate your desired wage. I hope you get it because based on your posts here and at TTD, you seem extremely motivated.
FruitLoop View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

Hello! 

I have been playing tabletennis for almost 20 years, and have been a part time coach for a little more than 10 years. Today i am a part time coach for kids 2, 3 times a week. 3 groups everytime, with a total of almost 4 hours. 

I am interesting in what my salary per hour should be? what other part time coaches have. 

At the moment i have 10 USD(around 100 kronor) per hour. I think that all the other coaches in the club that are not as experienced as me have the same. Therefor i think i should have a somewhat higher salary because i have been a coach much longer and proably are more competent. I would like my salary to be 15 or 20 USD per hour. 

I do this mostly for fun so the salary is not that important. But many of the groups are not so motivated, do not listen and do not fight very hard so it takes alot of energy from me. The groups are also very large so that make it more difficult and harder.  So i think i should be payed somewhat well for it.  I also have a adult group, that is much more fun so i could do that almost free. 

I hope there are some part time coaches for kids, youth out there that can answer my question. Or other people that know something about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Minimum wage realistically, but since Sweden doesn't have one then Swedish living wage seems fair in your case. Not sure what that is but likely to be $15 an hour or perhaps more since Sweden is expensive. One to one private coaching you would charge $30+ an hour probably.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 10:55am
Lots of answers/inputs/opinions/recommendations on this thread, but the original poster who 
created this thread seems to have lost interest about it.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 12:15pm
Results will pay off for you.  Does your students win matches/tournaments ?

when setting goals by you or by the student, are their goals being met ?  that will also mean more money.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 12:19pm
I have not lost interest! I appreciate all the answers very much Smile
I am often more on tabletennisdaily forum and not so much here. 

I am a he haha! 

I will keep on doing group sessions. Do not know how to do with the rent of the hall since the club i am a coach for rent the hall. I also feel it looks somewhat strange that i am a coach in groups and also private? but maybe not. 

I have talked with the sport director of the club where i am coaching, but he seems not be willing to answer if everyone have the same salary. So i am not so happy with him now, but maybe he is stressed out. A big tournament now. 

I have discussed about the adult training in the other club and i think i will get more than 15 USD per hour. Also heard that their youth coach for beginners get 15 USD per hour, and i think the work i do in the other club is better. 

If i do not get 15 USD for the youth trainings i do, i think i will do something else instead. Would have been a different story if the players were very motivated. I also seem to have a pretty good room to negiotate i feel, so i think it will work itself out. 
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Results will pay off for you.  Does your students win matches/tournaments ?

when setting goals by you or by the student, are their goals being met ?  that will also mean more money.

Do not really work that way in my club. They are not very motivated and do not play many tournaments. There is also alot of focus on youth, developement and not becoming an eliteplayer. 

I think the club pay me more from my efforts, how motivated i am and if they feel that the players are developing and getting better strokes. 

I wish it was more like you desribed. That would be alot more fun. Now it is alot of work to get them to listen and fight at the table. I enjoying teaching adults much much more becaue they listen, fight and are very interested. 
pitigoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 1:49pm
OP: You may be able to negotiate some non-monetary compensation (some new pips? a paid tournament per quarter?) or a system in which you select more of the students you teach (based on you being the more adavanced coach).
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 1:59pm
Lula,
Could you tell us more about your club.
Location, facilties, number of members, organization structure, etc.

Mark
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 2:12pm
OP.

The situation seems to be:
The club rents the hall (facilitate), the club owns the tables.
The club organizes the group lessons.
The club hires you to coach.
And you feel you get paid too low.

You talked to the club about higher pay, but they won't listen.
====================

You can organize your own private lessons, but if you still need to use
club's facilitate/table, the club may ask you to pay them some money to cover part of their costs.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 4:34pm

At the moment i have 10 USD(around 100 kronor) per hour. I think that all the other coaches in the club that are not as experienced as me have the same. Therefor i think i should have a somewhat higher salary because i have been a coach much longer and probably are more competent.

What more have you done compare to other less experience coach? If you think the pay does not justify the effort, then ask for the raise, but it should not be because you are more experience then other coach who make the same pay.
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 4:57pm
I do not need so much. If i want to go to tournaments the club will pay it anyway. 

The club is in Sweden, in the fifth-sixth biggest city. The club started 1951.  We have around 350 members. Have training from five to half nine tuesday, wednesday and thursday. There is three training groups, with around maybe 25-30 players in each. We have one hired sport director, and around 4 part time coaches. We proably have top ten best halls in Sweden, around 20 tables that are there all the time with good room between them. We is also proably one of the most known swedish clubs in the world, because we host a Swedish junior and cadett circuit tournamen every year that goes on five days, with around 600 players in totalt from 40-45 countries everyear. So we proably have some money. 

I think the club will listen. They need me way more than i need them. I think the sport director have been stressed out over the tournament, or maybe he do not want to tell my how it is like beacuse he is afraid that i will stop being a coach. 

I think you are thinking strange. In my opinion being a coach should be like all other professions. If you have more experience you should get more salary. Because you are much more competent. 

I am a coach almost all three days in all groups. The less experience coaches do not know so much yet so they do only have the first group one day. I am also proably without sounding cocky the most competent coach. So it is almost only me that can give the last best group give training and technique tips. I also feel that i am much more motivated and engaged compared to the other coaches, and the sport director thinks this too. It is my that plan every training, what we should do, it is me that run every training and explain the stuff to the players, the other traininers are more hanging around, or maybe the do not know so much beacuse they are less experienced so they can not help as much, give as much advice becuase they do not know what to say. I am also helping the sport director pretty much when he asks. 

My old coach, which is a national coach now also thinks that i should earn more but maybe that do not say much. But i think he know what a correct salary would be because he have been coaching all his life. 

I would be very surprised if the club do not agree with a little raise. I do not what he would do if i did not helped him out. Then the sport director should need to be a coach every night and that would be difficult for him since he has a family. I also think the other coach that is somewhat experienced and competent, but not so much motivated would stop being a coach if i leaved. So basically alot of groups proably would be without a coach if i leave. 

Edit: I forget to mention that over the span of maybe 4 years four coaches quit because they did not feel the players were motivated enough so it took way to much of their energy. So this is a somewhat hard coaching job i think. So i think few people would do it for the salary i get now. 

And do not get me wrong, i really like being a coach. If the players were a little more motivated so i did not have to be so much of a daycare teacher, and just learn them tabletennis i do not feel that i would need a raise. And if i am wrong and that the other less experienced coaches have less salary than me, then maybe i could keep going at my current salary. But i still feel that i put in alot of work, proably more than many part time coaches, so maybe i should earn a little more, or maybe i should be less engaged but that is no fun. 

Edited by Lula - 02/19/2019 at 5:10pm
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 5:06pm
First and foremost, you need to establish what your time is worth. 100 kr sounds ridiculously low if you are coaching in a semi-serious capacity, especially if you are paying Swedish taxes on it. $25/h should be bare-bone minimum. I believe private lessons in the US can be as much as $80/hour, but are more typically around $40-60. Group lessons should result in a similar pay for you, but lower cost for the participants.    
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 5:28pm
Lula:

So the club hires you to coach groups of students and pays you $10 per hour.
That sounds low, then again, I don't know the details.

(May be those students don't pay anything to the club to take group lessons.)
(May be those students paid their membership dues which include free group lessons.)

The club rents the hall and owns the tables, you really don't have much to say.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/19/2019 at 5:52pm
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 5:32pm
i think it is very fun to be a coach when the players are somewhat motivated, so i think it is worth my time. But many times the players are not so motivated, i do not know why really. They have great opportunities, much better than i ever had. So at those times, i can feel that it would be more fun to train myself or atleast get a little more money. 

I spend atleast a hour before every practice, and i think alot about what i will say, and how and what we should play almost the whole day before the practice. I do not get paid for the planning, but that is okay since i enjoy to think about it. 

But many times the playes barely come when we have a meeting to explain stuff and they listen bad. I find this very sad and almost hurtful. But i am the coach so i should be ready for this since i get money for it. But i know that i as a coach are more competent and much much more motivated to help them compared to the coaches i had in the club as a young player. So it is very frustrating that they do not understand this and do the best of it. But they proably do not understand since they do not have anything to compare with. So sometimes i wondering why i am helping them and giving them good opportunites to become better when they barely listen. 

They are also not so good at fighting at the exercises so it takes alot of energy to always push at them to fight. 

I think we coaches want more than many of the players and it is there everything becomes frustrating. Id i hade more motivated players it would take much less energy. like the adult group i have. I do not want to lower my standard either, because that is nofun to just be there to say the exercises and make sure that everyone behaves and i want to try to do a good job. 

I find it interesting that cost of a coach is so high in the US. I do not want to be rude, but i do not think many coaches have so much knowledge if they are from the US since the tabletennis is not so big there. But maybe it is many good coaches that move there. 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 5:46pm

I think you are thinking strange. In my opinion being a coach should be like all other professions. If you have more experience you should get more salary. Because you are much more competent.

If you are coaching at a higher level, then absolutely yes, because student are likely paying more at a higher level. However, if the level is the same, and students are paying the same fee, then where would the extra money come in to cover the higher coaching fee? With that said, I think $10/hour is low, but every country is different.
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 6:07pm
i think the club have the money because of the big tournament and because We have alot of players. It sounds like i think i am the best coach in the world haha, i am not. But i know some stuff and is motivated, and since i coach almost all groups Maybe Im a little of the reason why players continue playing and come to the trainings. So if i leave Maybe some players would stop playing and less would continue because the other coaches are not as engaged and know as much as me. 

I coach at a higher level than some of the coaches. I also think some of the groups, the better ones have a higher fee, But almost the same i think. 

I would proably coach for less because i enjoy it But sometimes it is so frustrating and hard when the players are not motivated. I also feel that i Do a somewhat better work than some of the other coaches so Maybe i deserve more. 
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 6:34pm
As the coach, you need to provide the motivation. So far, you blame the students for their lack of motivation and the club for not paying you enough.  You are the one that chose to coach.

You need to take control and make some decisions.

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 7:20pm
Lula wrote:
"we host a Swedish junior and cadett circuit tournamen every year that goes on five days, with around 600 players in totalt from 40-45 countries everyear."
===========================
ITTF collects entry fees, and pay the host sufficient money to cover the cost of hosting of the event.
ITTF have lots of cost too:  Umpire, referees (some need to fly them in), prize money, trophies, etc.
I don't think the host can make too much money out of hosting an event.

------------------------------------------------

Your club is probably located here:  Örebro, Sweden.

Örebro is a city with 117,543 inhabitants, the seat of Örebro Municipality and the capital of Örebro County in Sweden. It is the seventh largest city in Sweden
 and one of the largest inland hubs of the country. It is located near the lake of Hjälmaren, although a few kilometres inland along the small river Svartån.

Your club's name is probably:
Safir Table Tennis Club.
-------------------
Talk to your club that you feel that you are under-paid, and ask for a raise.
If they give you a raise, all power to you.
If they say no, then not much you can do there. You can start coaching in another place.

*** Coaching group (with 25-30 students each time) and getting paid for $10 an hour, sounds too low.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/19/2019 at 7:46pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 9:16pm
Hello Lula!

I live in Canada.
I have been coached by ex Chinese National Team members since 2012, more or less. My first coach charged $40 canadian per hour. He also had a class for adults, and the fee was $100 for 8 weeks, and it was about 12 to 16 students.
Now I live in Vancouver and my coach charges $50 per hour. He also was a CNT player.

There's a coach in Toronto, she was part of the russian national team, bla bla bla, she charges about 80 an hour, and she does have plenty of students!

So yeah, roughly, the range is from $20 to $80, depending on where you go.

Hope that helps.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 02/19/2019 at 9:18pm
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2019 at 1:24am
ittf Do not help us much with the tournament. The few umpires We have that is not our own We Do pay for. 

I know that We make somewhat much money from the tournament. I have pretty good insigth into this. 

I really appreciate all the answers and now i have an Idea of What other coaches have. I am a bit surprised that it does not seem to be so many coaches here. I Will leave this thread now, it is proably already a bit to personal and i have already talked to much about the salary of the people involved in the club. Thanks for all the help. 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2019 at 12:42pm

ittf Do not help us much with the tournament. The few umpires We have that is not our own We Do pay for. 
I know that We make somewhat much money from the tournament. I have pretty good insigth into this. 
=====================

ITTF collects the entry fees, then ITTF pays the host to cover its operating cost and a bit more.
The Host will make a small amount of profit, but not a whole lot.

You have absolutely no insight as to how this thing works.

***  Folks on this forum, generally agree that $10 per hour for coaching groups of 25 to 30 students
        is a bit too low.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/20/2019 at 12:44pm
Lula View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2019 at 12:57pm
No, Maybe i Do not. But i have a hard time Seeing that you know how much We make from it either. But i know that We make money from it. And i think it is pretty much for the size of our club   I Do not see why We would keep doing it orherwise. It takes alot of Work. Maybe i can ask the board or sport director about how much We make, But Do ny know if any of you guys have anything to Do with. 

I know that We can have a full time sport director, Do not need to sell stuff to be able to hire part time coaches and We can pay for all the players tournaments, hotell and food. We also have pretty Low member and training fees i think. 

Without the tournament We would not be able to have this. 

Edit: i have asked the sport director and i think We make alot of money. For any club our size. So proably it is you Do not know What you are talking about or you are way more Rich than me haha

Edited by Lula - 02/20/2019 at 1:08pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

=====================

ITTF collects the entry fees, then ITTF pays the host to cover its operating cost and a bit more.
The Host will make a small amount of profit, but not a whole lot.

You have absolutely no insight as to how this thing works.

***  Folks on this forum, generally agree that $10 per hour for coaching groups of 25 to 30 students
        is a bit too low.

$10 per student is more like it. @OP - Are you able to set the fees ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic