FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Scared of the ball?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scared of the ball?
    Posted: 10/18/2013 at 11:06am
So I convince a friend of mine from Tennis to come and play Table Tennis. Now here's the problem - she's extremely afraid of getting hit by the ball! So I tell her, this ball can't possibly hurt you....but as soon as I pretend, I am about to hit the ball hard - she practically ducks and covers - how do you over come this?

I say, I'll hit the ball at you, from 10 ft behind the table - same reaction - any suggestions on how I can help her over come this fear without brining in Dr. Phil?

Thanks in advance

Edited by jrscatman - 10/18/2013 at 11:08am
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 11:56am
So what happens when she is about to be hit with a regular tennis ball? Confused
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 12:06pm
It does hurt when you aren't used to it and I've seen a 38mm ball leave a ball sized large lump on someone's forehead. Personally I lost all feeling on one side of my thumb for almost a year when I missed countering a hard smash with an attempted hard smash because of nerve damage when the ball hit my thumb. That all said I've never seen a 40mm do that much damage because its just going that little bit slower where firstly you have time to dodge it and second its just not going fast enough to do damage. It still hurts on cold fingers
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

So what happens when she is about to be hit with a regular tennis ball? Confused
That was my first response - compared to a tennis ball - TT ball is nothing! It's mental problem - maybe from childhood dodge ball...good thing they banned sport!!!
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

It does hurt when you aren't used to it and I've seen a 38mm ball leave a ball sized large lump on someone's forehead. Personally I lost all feeling on one side of my thumb for almost a year when I missed countering a hard smash with an attempted hard smash because of nerve damage when the ball hit my thumb. That all said I've never seen a 40mm do that much damage because its just going that little bit slower where firstly you have time to dodge it and second its just not going fast enough to do damage. It still hurts on cold fingers
I agree it can sting - but don't see it doing any lasting damage. Also, she's beginner so - it is very unlikely she'll be involved in any heavy countering or looping situations. 

I've had the ball hit my thumb a few times - but luckily nothing serious resulted. There is always a possibility of injury - but it's rare in TT. Especially when you compare it to most other sports.
Butterfly MPS
Jinami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 1:03pm
You have to ask her why she's afraid of getting hit. She'll explain what she believes will happen. Then you just have to change that belief. One way might be to hit her with the ball but very lightly and the progressively hit her with the ball harder. You have to be in a position where she trusts you of course.

Edited by Jinami - 10/18/2013 at 1:04pm
JOOLA Viva - DHS Skyline TG3 Neo / JOOLA Rhyzm
Xiom Zetro Quad - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo / Butterfly Tenergy 80
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 1:08pm
it means that she had some bad practice partners. LOL
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

it means that she had some bad practice partners. LOL

Ha ha, very true.  I duck too depending on who I am playing with LOL.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 1:38pm
Hmmm sometimes I forget how hard I POUND the ball! Yeah, if any of you play me remember that!
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Jinami Jinami wrote:

You have to ask her why she's afraid of getting hit. She'll explain what she believes will happen. Then you just have to change that belief. One way might be to hit her with the ball but very lightly and the progressively hit her with the ball harder. You have to be in a position where she trusts you of course.

I tried she didn't know - also I was so surprised someone would be scared of TT ball - it caught me off guard. Now, I heard she's off to play Badminton - I'll have to go check that out.....if you need to be scared about anything - that's got to be it.

Edited by jrscatman - 10/18/2013 at 1:41pm
Butterfly MPS
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Hmmm sometimes I forget how hard I POUND the ball! Yeah, if any of you play me remember that!

If she's a beginner, why are you pounding the ball ? Slowly get into a rally to build her confidence, let her do the hitting.

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 3:17pm
The only way she'll get over that fear is to understand it's not that bad and it's built up in her head.

How does she get over it? Find out. Pelt her from point blank range. I mean literally from a few feet way hit the ball right at her. Sounds crazy but I think she'll find it's not that bad. What's her reaction?

Edited by suds79 - 10/18/2013 at 3:18pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

The only way she'll get over that fear is to understand it's not that bad and it's built up in her head.

How does she get over it? Find out. Pelt her from point blank range. I mean literally from a few feet way hit the ball right at her. Sounds crazy but I think she'll find it's not that bad. What's her reaction?

She'll prob never play again... LOLLOL

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

If she's a beginner, why are you pounding the ball ? Slowly get into a rally to build her confidence, let her do the hitting.
It was a joke! 
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

I tried to demonstrate that by hitting the ball hard from about 10 feet behind the table and she ducked and turned away even though I wasn't aiming the ball at her - told her to try and hit at me and she wouldn't do it. 
It's very strange! Seems very instinctive - come to think of couple of other ladies have told me the same thing a while back - both are A level tennis players - I didn't think much of it till now.
Butterfly MPS
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 6:12pm
Achumas are 40 or 50 yrd or older lady TT players in Korea and long veterans of TT warfare, and can clock the ball so fast it will go through their opponent AND the wall behind them as they mostly use Schlager Carbon or other OFF +++ class blades and OFF FH rubber. Knowing that, they should be the first one to stick their nose into a fast shot, but what I saw in Korea... Whenever they saw me take a larger backswing for a near max hit, they were all flinching or diving outta the way. They do NOT like how the ball feels when it hits them when they are just a little sweating, it can sting just a bit.

I try to tell them they hit as hard as me and that we are all lucky that we in TT do not use a GOLF ball, that would really leave a mark.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 6:20pm
FIRST OF ALL, TRY THE EAR PLUGS...

Yes, it is well true pingpang ball can occasionally hurt you very, very badly.
Thereby, You would be well advised to take some precautions and provide your playmate with some body safety armours. --helmet, glasses, gloves and suchlike...

http://youtu.be/djPSnAmLRMg

LASTLY, the ear plugs should be of real help, as damping the stricking noise down.
I strongly believe it is the overly excessive loudness in hitting the ball that gets the lady in panic.

GOOD LUCK.

Edited by igorponger - 10/18/2013 at 9:14pm
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 9:21pm
Hands up all those who are fully qualified, practising, clinical psychologists?

Everybody else listen.   
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 1:36am
use a robot and try to hit her with the balls spewing out of the machine bwahahahahahha
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic