Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SDC Handmade Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 27>
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2021 at 3:18am
- Do you want fibers in your blade?
- Yes.
- Which one?
- All of them!

This was one of the craziest requests I had so far, very challenging but also a fun one to make. Probably the fastest blade I've made to date! And for those of you wondering, yes, it is totally legal for competition, the amount of composite layers in this blade is less than 15% of the total thickness.

Composition: Hinoki / SZLC / Ayous / ALC / Balsa / Carbon / Balsa / ALC / Ayous / SZLC / Hinoki
Weight: 99.3g
Thickness: 8.7mm
Freq.: 1940Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2021 at 1:42am
Just because we can doesn't mean we should!LOL
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2021 at 3:31am
Based on a Defplay Classic, this blade was commissioned as a gift for a friend!

Composition: Anigre / Limba / Glassfiber / Balsa / Glassfiber / Limba / Anigre
Weight:75.9g
Thickness: 5.9mm
Freq.:1160Hz
​​​​​​​Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2021 at 4:17am
This one was a nice challenge as well. A double pips, close to the table player, was looking to maximize control and sweet spot while retaining a woody but solid feeling. After a few back and forth emails we arrived at this composition, a thin 7 ply blade with large head size, high weight but very low balance. The handle was also customized, as per his request, with two different sides.

Composition: Anigre / 5x Ayous / Anigre
Weight: 96.5g
Thickness: 5.45mm
Freq.: 990Hz
Balance: 1.9cm (Very low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2021 at 3:56am
I've said it before and I will say it again: Damn Padauk, why you so pretty?

Composition: Reconstituted Ebony / T-C / Ayous / Ayous / Ayous / T-C / Reconstituted Ebony
Weight: 91.1g
Thickness: 5.9mm
Freq.: 1335Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2021 at 4:44am
The goal for this one was to make a 7 ply blade with a soft touch, good for spin play. The use of the hard Wenge wood next to the core ,gives it a higher 2nd gear on high impact shots.

Available FS.

Composition: Ayous / Spruce / Wenge / WRC / Wenge / Spruce / Ayous
Weight: 89.5g
Thickness: 6.4mm
Freq.: 1205Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2021 at 3:50am
This is the closest I've been to making a "production line", a series of 5 blades for the same customer, with the same handle and head size, but different compositions. We had some ground rules here, 5 ply structure and Ayous core for all, keeping the weight close to 90g with a low/med balance. They were supposed to be 4, but one of the blades deviated a bit from the original specs, so I had to make another. Curious as to how that would play, I sent it anyway.

I will leave the comments to the owner, as he promised a review, but I already have some feedback I want to share. I always say that frequency is not a speed scale, it's a stiffness scale, and the 5th blade of this series is perhaps my best argument for that. Despite having a lower frequency than the others, it's clearly the fastest, as the owner also confirmed. The lower frequency denotes more flex, which in play will translate to a higher throw angle.

From left to right:

1- Hinoki / Hinoki / Ayous / Hinoki / Hinoki - 89.2g - 6.20mm - 1250Hz - 3.0cm (Med/Low)
2- Spruce / Spruce / Ayous / Spruce / Spruce - 92.6g - 5.85mm - 1270Hz - 2.4cm (Low)
3 - Limba / Pine / Ayous / Pine/ Limba - 95.0g - 5.80mm - 1270Hz - 2.8cm (Low)
4 - Limba / Pine / Ayous / Pine/ Limba - 92.3g - 5.85mm - 1270Hz - 2.7cm (Low)
5 - Indian Rosewood / Spruce / Ayous / Spruce / Indian Rosewood - 91.8g - 5.70mm - 1185Hz - 2.7cm (Low)

Antonlan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antonlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2021 at 3:04pm

I am the lucky customer in question. Here is a short review of the blades.

About me: 

I played extensively but not organised table tennis during my youth (as is/was common in sweden) but found my way to regular practice and local league (korpen) when my knees no longer accepted fotball three years back. I’m a two winged looper with relatively decent technique. My blade journey has been classic: Stiga Allround Evolution became Timo Boll ALC and ZJK ALC and from there I’ve tried to downgrade to slower blades. I’ve had issues with handles due to large hands and of that reason I have previously ordered twice from Sérgio. The first blade was a M.Maze alike blade with a very large handle. After that I dabbled with a TSPW before deciding I wanted more flex why I ordered a Limba/Pine/Ayous blade from Sérgio with a more reasonable handle which I was happy with. I missed the larger wings of the TSPW a bit though and to only order one more blade with slightly larger wings felt dissatisfying hence the blade series.

Me and Sérgio had a extensive mail conversation around shape of the wings and blade face, the handle design and of course the composition of each blade. 

My thoughts on the blade series:

I wanted to order more than one blade to make it possible to compare different compositions. I was also really interested in playing more with Hinoki and a harder outer blade. 

I have tried the blades using new Rakza Z for backhand and Rakza Z extra hard for forehand. The blade has all weighted between 195 and 201 grams with rubbers.

The blade shape and wings turned out perfect. It makes my backhand more stable and transitions easier to handle. I’m also very happy with the design of the handles that holds the series together.

It is in every way a pleasure to work with Sérgio. The quality of the blades is amazing and his knowledge and ability to communicate this knowledge makes the ordering process à joy!

Blade 1 - Hinoki

This is the blade I, so far, like the most and has been using during matches. It feels really soft on contact and the percieved dwell is long making it easy to generate spin on opening loops. At the same time the blade is stiff enough, due to its thickness I guess, to be a relatively fast blade. Because of the softness of the blade I can still control speed on blocks very well as well as having an easier time in touch play. Comparing the blades I feel that I can get most power (spin+speed) out of this blade.

Blade 2 - Spruce

This blade is the slowest of the series as well as the one with the lowest balance making it the easiest handle. It feels harder than blade 1 and has a relatively low throw and this together with the lower speed makes it a bit to toned down for my liking. It is easy to impart spin however and it might be a very good blade for my development technically. I must say that this blade also is the most appealing visually.

Blades 3 and 4 - Limba

These two blades have the same composition as each other as well as the last blade I ordered. They are comparable in speed to each other as well as to blade 1 but off course feels harder. I do think the Pine medial really has an effect on the stability/sweet spot of these blades because they are really nice in that compartment. The difference between blade 3 and 4, in my hands, is mostly about vibration and weight. They are quite close in performance.

Blade 5 - Indian Rosewood

At first I was really surprised of the very high throw angle of this blade. It is probably the highest throw I’ve experienced in a blade. The speed also threw me off as it is quite clearly the fastest of the blades. As Sérgio mentioned this is because of the flex and hardness of the blade. In short - the blade is really fun to play with. However the hardness of the outer makes touch play and blocking quite difficult. @Samtheman has spinny loops but usually I block them with less difficulty than with this blade.

Overall I’m very happy with the blade series. I will continue to try the blades focusing on blades 1 and 5. Hopefully it will take some time before the urge to order a innerforce series grows to big...

Ergosquare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ergosquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

Composition: Hinoki / SZLC / Ayous / ALC / Balsa / Carbon / Balsa / ALC / Ayous / SZLC / Hinoki

Does a fibre in the middle do anything? (in terms of speed/stiffness)
Not necessarily in this specific exotic setup, just in general.
For example like SZLC in the middle, 2 or 3 layers of wood on each side.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Ergosquare Ergosquare wrote:

It's certainly not the most efficient way to use fibers, you need to create space between them to increase stiffness and stability. Inner fibers blades are inefficient if we only look at the design aspect, and that's why they were overlooked for so long. But we are all human, and the feeling aspect is very important, so they have other qualities that outer fiber blades don't. 

A fiber in the middle does very little for a blade, but it still does. Vibration dampening is something that still happens because it has to do more with the material itself, rather than its position on the structure of the blade. Stiffness and speed increase are negligible, but it does allow to create very flexible blades that wouldn't be possible (or at least playable) without fibers. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2021 at 5:31pm

There is a blade by Darker that aficionados used to call the "Darker Center carbon". It had the super soft hinoki all over and that solid sensation the center carbon gave was very good for confidence, it seemed I could not miss, I wanted to recreate that with the center ply and then I got carried away 😄 but the result is super fast , super soft and with 85g worth of rubbers it has a normal total weight to me. I still need to try it with something else than those AK47 blue, I am thinking of Hurricane 37 and Victas limber 07, they are supposed to be under 45g cut as well so they are very good candidates. No ESN 53gr stuff on that puppy! Thank you very much for the quality time Sergio, I am very grateful I could play blade designer without the skills, it was highly rewarding to feel free to do whatever the heck I want and ending up with something I really enjoy. By the way the slightly smaller head to keep the balance low did not stiffen the blade to a point we'd feel no dwell, the thick hinoki has got our back on that one!
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2021 at 4:22am
I haven't made a triple kiri core blade in a while, so here it is.

Available FS.

Composition: Koto / Limba / Kiri / Kiri / Kiri / Limba / Koto
Weight: 87.1g
Thickness: 6.5mm
Freq.: 1420Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2021 at 4:11am
Looking at the photo of this blade you might think the top ply is full of bumps, but don't worry, it's silky smooth! It is also sealed to prevent splintering.

Available FS.

Composition: Lacewood / Larch / Glassfiber / Kiri / Glassfiber / Larch / Lacewood​
Weight: 88.0g
Thickness: 5.70mm
Freq.: 1205 Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 4:31pm
A commissioned blade, focused on a spin oriented game. Full credit to the owner for the handle design!

Composition: Hinoki / Ayous / I-C / Kiri / I-C / Ayous / Hinoki
Weight: 90.3g
Thickness: 6.0mm
Freq.: 1340Hz
Balance: 1.9cm (Very Low)

Ergosquare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ergosquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2021 at 6:59pm
Nice, beautifully done

Are those Japanese characters printed onto the wood or is the black background printed?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2021 at 3:14am

Nice, beautifully done

Are those Japanese characters printed onto the wood or is the black background printed?

Thanks. The black background is a piece of wood that was embedded on the handle. The characters were engraved and filled with white.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2021 at 11:11pm
This one has to be one of the classiest blades I have ever seen from any blade builder. Performance, quality, style, class, congrats to both of you.

It reminds me the peace of a temple made out of various woods from dark orange to maroon with grids and portal made out of black painted metal.

Are the characters the owner's name? or maybe a statement bringing table tennis to the spiritual level, something along the line of "Power is nothing without control."?

Edited by stiltt - 10/14/2021 at 11:15pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2021 at 3:28am
By the way, is that wrong? http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic90877_page1.html#1119036

Is the center carbon idea wrong? it does not serve any purpose? the physics involved and the pro feel from those who know mix everything.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2021 at 3:35am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

This one has to be one of the classiest blades I have ever seen from any blade builder. Performance, quality, style, class, congrats to both of you.

It reminds me the peace of a temple made out of various woods from dark orange to maroon with grids and portal made out of black painted metal.

Are the characters the owner's name? or maybe a statement bringing table tennis to the spiritual level, something along the line of "Power is nothing without control."?

Thanks! I don't know what the characters say, I think they are the owner's name but I'm not sure. I guess it's one of those situations where it can be whatever you want.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2021 at 3:40am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

By the way, is that wrong? http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic90877_page1.html#1119036

Is the center carbon idea wrong? it does not serve any purpose? the physics involved and the pro feel from those who know mix everything.

That is veeeery wrong, those unevenly thickened plies are not a nice view.  However, I never said it was wrong, I just said it was an inefficient use of a composite layer. But I also said that we, as players, don't care about just about efficiency, but feeling as well, and it that regard a center composite layers will do something for a blade. But in this case that is a all wood blade, so it doesn't apply.
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2021 at 11:48am
I don't know Japanese but in Chinese it pronounced da sing, means big city.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2021 at 4:14am
Commissioned blade. Fast, very fast...

Composition: Purple Heart / SZLC / Koto / Balsa / I-C / Limba / A. Rosewood
Weight: 92.3g
Thickness: 7.5mm
Freq.: 1750Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2021 at 5:06am
Just a simple 5 ply with an Olivewood handle.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 82.8g
Thickness: 6.3mm
Freq.: 1313Hz

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2021 at 3:31am
Typical inner fiber blade, but with a small difference. We decided to use thinner outer plies, and a slightly thicker core on this one to improve the speed. This worked as expected, but it actually made it a bit too fast for the owner (we already solved that 🙂). The Flared handle shape is also different than what I usually do, it's a little wider near the wings, which turns it into an almost anatomic shape.

Composition: Black Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Black Limba
Weight: 89.4g
Thickness: 5.85mm
Freq.: 1290Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2021 at 2:30am

Typical inner fiber blade, but with a small difference. We decided to use thinner outer plies, and a slightly thicker core on this one to improve the speed.
Interesting idea. I guess, the feeling should also be like a mix between inner and outer fibre due to the placement of the fiber. 
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Typical inner fiber blade, but with a small difference. We decided to use thinner outer plies, and a slightly thicker core on this one to improve the speed.
Interesting idea. I guess, the feeling should also be like a mix between inner and outer fibre due to the placement of the fiber. 

Still closer to a inner fiber blade, the increase in the core was just 0.2mm. And this is compared to a typical Butterfly blade which uses a 3mm core. However this is nothing new, Stiga normally uses very thick cores in their blades. But they also don't use ALC or similar fibers which are thicker, so they make up for the difference in the core. WSC is another inner fiber blade that has very thin outer plies and a thick core. Lately there seems to be a trend for this kind of blade, the DHS X variants, and the Ovtcharov ALC are a couple of examples.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2021 at 4:16am
This is a light and fast blade with a relatively soft feel (considering it's a composite blade). The low balance facilitates the use of the wrist, so it's suitable for playing an aggressive close to the table style. But the main feature of this blade is the semi-anatomic handle, if you don't have different grips for FH and BH and like to keep the hand in a fixed position, this one is just perfect.

Available FS.

Composition: Tola / S A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / S A-C / Tola
Weight: 82.6g
Thickness: 5.65mm
Freq.: 1442 Hz
Balance: 2.3cm (Low)

Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2021 at 3:42am
Keep it classy! 👌

Composition: Limba / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Limba
Weight: 83.6g
Thickness: 5.5mm
Freq.: 1140Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2021 at 9:44am
Lovely look, weight ...and everything. What is your suggestion OFF, OFF-?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2021 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Lovely look, weight ...and everything. What is your suggestion OFF, OFF-?

Thanks Smile

Well, by today's standards I would say this is somewhere between All+ and Off-.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 27>
  Share Topic