FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

secret to penholders FH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: secret to penholders FH
    Posted: 02/13/2019 at 9:28pm
I've played a few high level penholders in my life, and most of them have extremely good FH loopkills which they can execute against all sorts of spin and almost anywhere on the table, with most high level shakehanders I've seen, their FH is nowhere near that level. I can see it's almost the same in professional matches... I'm curious to know what is the key difference between a shakehand FH and a penhold FH that makes the penhold FH so superior?!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2019 at 11:06pm
My uneducated guess is more wrist movement.
wlhk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlhk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 12:54am
One CTTA coach once said that penholder is like a doctor holding a surgery knife while shakehander is like a butcher holding a butcher knife.  The difference is surgery knife is very precise while the butcher knife is very strong and forceful.  
wlhk

Forehand: MXP/Teneryg05

Backhand: Grass Dtecs
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2019 at 1:02am
Just throwing out the first thoughts that came to mind: which is a lot of penholders I have seen with this type of loop kill have quite a "straight arm" looping technique which definitely adds power as opposed to a more 'bent-arm" style.  (obviously a lot of China nationals even with shakehand have more straight arm looping style)

Also most penholders have three fingers on the backside of the blade which if uses correctly can increase the spin and power potential.  There is always those videos and discussions on this forum about "using your fingers and wrist" more during the loop to add power and spin.  I think Penholders have this as an advantage as they have their wrist in a more flexible position and more fingers on the backside to give additional leverage/stiffness.

A final random thought is just about experience/confidence.... in that some penholders have a relatively weak BH.  Many can block extremely well and keep the ball low and have great hand-eye coordination, BUT i think they have learned that given any opportunity on the FH side to simply kill the ball.  The fact they do this so often, they have the confidence to do so.  Killing the ball (which is kind of an all-or-nothing shot) can crush through almost any spin.
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 3:28am
I think the biggest difference is the angle of the racket. The angle of the racket they get when Holding penhold makes them great at third ball attacks. So they ar usually very good at this. Harder with the angle of shakehand. 

I also think chinese in general are good at having a straight, extended arm and using the body.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 6:36am
I think the straight or extended arm adds much more power and also increases the range of motion. And more muscles are in play. The shoulder, the elbow, the wrist, makes three joints that are in play in the forehand shot. In the Euro forehand the elbow does most of the work with some shoulder and almost no wrist. There is more of a slinging effect in the penhold forehand as well because of the increased involvement of the shoulder.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 7:32am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

most of them have extremely good FH loopkills which they can execute against all sorts of spin

I've always thought of a loopkill as hard counterloop against a loop or a smash of the opponents loop. Following my thinking, I don't think you can loopkill against all types of spin, you can only loopkill a loop, right? Am I wrong? 

Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 8:16am
I think it's just a very fast loop ending a rally
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

most of them have extremely good FH loopkills which they can execute against all sorts of spin

I've always thought of a loopkill as hard counterloop against a loop or a smash of the opponents loop. Following my thinking, I don't think you can loopkill against all types of spin, you can only loopkill a loop, right? Am I wrong? 

The word kill means, ending the point. The word loop here means, ending the point via a loop. So it is not a loop that you are killing. You can execute a kill against any kind of incoming shot, and when it is done in the form of a loop, it is called a loop kill.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic