Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SF East Bay: Coach Lin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SF East Bay: Coach Lin
    Posted: 09/04/2013 at 5:21pm
I first learned of hunkeelin aka Coach Lin in another thread on this forum, and despite the flame war that ensued there, was sufficiently intrigued by his previous training and accomplishments in HK to take him up on his $15 for 30 minutes introductory offer. That he coaches in the same county I live in was also a plus. In fact, the training ended up taking place at my home TT club, Concord Table Tennis Club; a club that has no staff coaches and thus no objection to freelance coaches using the facility to train club members (not all Bay Area clubs have this policy for perfectly understandable business reasons).

Prior to the training session I spoke with Lin by telephone so he could be clear on my club's policy toward freelance coaching, and also understand what my goals and objectives were. I wanted to focus on my BH-to-FH transition; something I've struggled with for years with little progress. We agreed to meet at 10:30AM for the 30 minute session.

Sunday at the club I began warm-ups at 10:00AM and Lin arrived at 10:20AM.. 10 minutes early. At 10:30AM we started the session and Lin began assessing my basic strokes and reactions. Almost immediately he seized on a problem so obvious that, as a USATT 1700+ rated player, I'm more than a little sheepish to admit: I had no FH counter-drive stoke. I had a FH loop, yes; but it was a long-arm loop with too much backswing. My loop was effective in corner-to-corner drills; impressive against my robot; but it was way too slow to use in most rallies.. which was exactly why I felt I never had time during a rally to use my FH. (I'm 6'3" which doesn't help matters).

What proceed next was somewhat humbling: Basic FH-to-FH counter-drive drill, albeit at high speed and with a goal of 150 consecutive hits without a miss. I had almost zero feeling for this tiny stroke since I had apparently "missed class" that day 5-6 years ago when I took basic TT training. I hit dozens of easy balls into the net. I kept wanting to spin and lift the ball. Lin kept telling me to hit into the ball instead. I clearly need to drill on this new stroke!

At that point the 30 minutes was up and we quickly agreed to extend to the full hour for $30 total. For the rest of the session we did more FH counter-drive drills and Lin also assessed by serves. I like to mix up my serves, serving sometimes with LP and sometime with inverted which was a problem for Lin. How could LP produce a quality serve given its limited ability to spin? Sure, I win lots of points with LP serves as I've learned to vary and disguise its spin rather well, but Lin wanted me to have a serve that worked on 1800 rated players and beyond. And it's true.. certain players are able to pounce on every LP serve I put out there, but I hadn't seriously considered sidelining my LP serves altogether. Lin showed me how I could generate huge backspin by serving BH inverted and then twiddling for 3rd ball attack.. definitely something I need to practice into the catch net. At that point we had gone a bit beyond an hour so we called it a session.

How would I rate Lin as a coach? I've had at least a half dozen coaches and mentors over the past 5-6 years during which time I've built my USATT rating from 900 to over 1700. I've been coached by 2500+ elite level players as well as retirees who were probably 1500 or below. I don't know Lin's USATT rating or if he even has one, and we didn't play any points for me to assess his match skills. By his own admission he has hardly played in the past eight years. But I don't consider any of that to be of primary importance. For me, a coach has to be able to do a few things very effectively, and not all coaches are equally skilled in all these areas:

1) Know proper form and be able to demonstrate it.
2) Know effective training drills and be able to perform them.
3) Observe a student's play and from it draw critical analysis.
4) Communicate what the student is doing wrong and what they need to do to correct it.
5) Serve and rally at or above the student's level (simply to keep the ball in play during drills).

Perhaps the most pivotal skills are #3 and #4, and at these Lin is amongst the best I've encountered. Sure, I've had coaches talk around this topic but none were able to make clear to me the essence of the problem. And in less than two minutes, Lin was able to both recognize (#3) and effectively communicate (#4) to me what my primary problem was. For me, that was a revelation.

For players who already posses a strong grasp of the fundamentals and who are playing at or above 1750, Lin might not be their ideal coach. This would apply to highly-trained juniors who have trained with elite level coaches starting at an early age. But for the rest of us, anyone who is either trying to develop their game from scratch, or is trying to correct or improve certain aspects of their game, and appreciates effective and efficient instruction, I recommend taking Lin up on his ridiculously cheap $15 for 30 minutes introductory offer.

Lin can be reached at [email protected], or by phone at (732)216-7799. I've already got him booked for this coming Sunday.

BBC, SP, LP
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 5:27pm
Well done Nathanso; I enjoyed reading your review; I wish him the best as a coach and to you the same in your progress endeavor.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 5:54pm
It's too bad his manners didn't transfer here. Confused
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

It's too bad his manners didn't transfer here. Confused
I meant to comment on this as well. In person he was professional and congenial. Mark the flame war up to Internet psychosis (there's a bit of that going around).
BBC, SP, LP
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 6:58pm
The forum regulars sure know how to bring out the best in folks.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

The forum regulars sure know how to bring out the best in folks.
Wha... wha... wha did you just say? 
If that wasn't some form of self deprecating sarcasm, then you, Sir, just blew my mind.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:10pm
Sure brings out the best in me at least.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:19pm
Bi-polar

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:23pm
This is such a great followup to that epic thread, nathanso thanks for posting this.  A coach who can correct mistakes / fill in gaps can save a LOT of time, and that takes wisdom, its more than just being a strong player.  I think everyone should definitely set aside those outrageous forum posts and have a sense of humor about it.

nathanso, you should organize a regular group of training partners that meet at that club on Sundays, each gets an individual hour of coaching and the rest of the time does drills with occasional tips from Coach Lin, training partners changing up every 20 minutes or so, everyone trains with everyone, it can turn into something big.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:34pm

Bi-polar

Was the bad man mean to you?
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

This is such a great followup to that epic thread, nathanso thanks for posting this.  A coach who can correct mistakes / fill in gaps can save a LOT of time, and that takes wisdom, its more than just being a strong player.  I think everyone should definitely set aside those outrageous forum posts and have a sense of humor about it.

nathanso, you should organize a regular group of training partners that meet at that club on Sundays, each gets an individual hour of coaching and the rest of the time does drills with occasional tips from Coach Lin, training partners changing up every 20 minutes or so, everyone trains with everyone, it can turn into something big.

Hollywood needs to make this movie.

A story of coming back, misunderstood by all and scorn by a unforgiving society, challenges and redemption, complete with feel-good ending. All I ask for the script is get cast as either comedic sidekick or at least goon #2.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/04/2013 at 11:45pm
JaredTTsmith View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredTTsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:46pm

I too have a coaching session with Lin last saturday in UCD's arc for 3 hours. I would say pretty much the same as Nathanso.

I have had 5~6 coaches range from 1900 to 2600 previously. Among the coaches I had, coach Lin is certainly one of the better ones. He is fairly decent at a price of 30/hr. He has a good understanding of the game. He also speaks fluent English. During the session we practice on backhand, flicks, serves, and service return. We played few games afterwards. He main in SH grip and I would estimate that he is around 1900; his PH however is somewhere around 1600. I searched up the forum and there seem to be some rebuttals between him and some forum members. For those who are hoping to see that match between him and a 2600 player, I don’t think he will stand a chance. He won’t get anywhere near that level in a short period of time. However, that is not my concern. As for coaching, he is a decent one, a coach with quality above his price listed.

I have this post earlier this Monday. It was deleted, sorry for the explicit content as I am very proactive on matters related to homosexual.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:47pm
Lets make the AgentHEX gets banned movie please mods
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:49pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:50pm

Bi-polar

Yes, Sheldon.

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 11:56pm
Am I the only one who at least is slightly considering the possibility that nathanso is just in on the joke? 
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:02am

Bi-polar

Yes, Sheldon.

Ok, Zach.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:20am
Originally posted by JaredTTsmith JaredTTsmith wrote:

I too have a coaching session with Lin last saturday in UCD's arc for 3 hours. I would say pretty much the same as Nathanso.

I have had 5~6 coaches range from 1900 to 2600 previously. Among the coaches I had, coach Lin is certainly one of the better ones. He is fairly decent at a price of 30/hr. He has a good understanding of the game. He also speaks fluent English. During the session we practice on backhand, flicks, serves, and service return. We played few games afterwards. He main in SH grip and I would estimate that he is around 1900; his PH however is somewhere around 1600. I searched up the forum and there seem to be some rebuttals between him and some forum members. For those who are hoping to see that match between him and a 2600 player, I don’t think he will stand a chance. He won’t get anywhere near that level in a short period of time. However, that is not my concern. As for coaching, he is a decent one, a coach with quality above his price listed.

I have this post earlier this Monday. It was deleted, sorry for the explicit content as I am very proactive on matters related to homosexual.
I remember; it was from an IP from Japan; now you post from Seattle. Traveling much maybe?

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:33am

You could come up with something better than JaredTTSmith for this bogus post FYI for future trolling attempts. 
JaredTTsmith View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredTTsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:38am
Excuse me from this forum if you are not taking me seroiusly. I have random VPN assign for me everytime I log in. Though now understand why coach lin request me writing a review for him earlier, as meeting such aggressive individuals in this forum that would readily treat my regards as fillipant. He certainly need some vouches.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:46am

Excuse me from this forum if you are not taking me seroiusly. I have random VPN assign for me everytime I log in. Though now understand why coach lin request me writing a review for him earlier, as meeting such aggressive individuals in this forum that would readily treat my regards as fillipant. He certainly need some vouches.

You accidentally reverted to your old writing tone in this post, Keith. Oh and "having a random VPN assigned for you every time you log in" is a pretty bad excuse coming from a CS student... but that's irrelevant.

Edited by idk - 09/05/2013 at 12:48am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:52am
anyway, good luck to coach lin. he needs some.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:58am
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Lets make the AgentHEX gets banned movie please mods

It seems retirement doesn't agree with him.

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 1:03am
Though your tenacity in the face of failure is admirable, let's hope coach Lin doesn't follow your example.

Edited by AgentHEX - 09/05/2013 at 1:04am
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 1:08am
this thread.  hilarious.  what a bogus review hahaha.

Edited by pongmaster - 09/05/2013 at 2:11am
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 1:36am
I know coaches with 2400-2500 rating which can't even talk with understanding about the tt problems of their students and also 2000 rating coaches which are more talking than playing table tennis, but they are only talking just to spent the time of the student.

Nathanso, thank you for your honest review.
But I can't agree person without appropriate skills in table tennis can be "Coach". In this case everyone can be "Coach". Also I wrote in another topic to be Coach just means you have enough experience and skills which to use for your teaching...Experience and Skills!
According to your opinion I think this boy is more like a low-skilled-partner with a great language skills than a Coach.
Good luck to this "Coach" and his students!

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 1:49am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

I know coaches with 2400-2500 rating which can't even talk with understanding about the tt problems of their students and also 2000 rating coaches which are more talking than playing table tennis, but they are only talking just to spent the time of the student.

Nathanso, thank you for your honest review.
But I can't agree person without appropriate skills in table tennis can be "Coach". In this case everyone can be "Coach". Also I wrote in another topic to be Coach just means you have enough experience and skills which to use for your teaching...Experience and Skills!
According to your opinion I think this boy is more like a low-skilled-partner with a great language skills than a Coach.
Good luck to this "Coach" and his students!

Coaches in sports at lower level than people they're coaching is not that uncommon, otherwise nobody can coach highest level pros.

Nathanso's review is very thorough and well thought out. Seems like <2k amateurs can do much worse and often do. This forum like much of the internet or high school loves to pile on any sort of weakness, and while that can be entertaining in a dumb way, it leaves little room to reflect on the situation at large.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 4:25am
Well, whether Coach Lin made multiple accounts or not is just not doing himself a favour by getting into this position of doubting once again. I recall he got suspended from MYTT for having atleaset 2 accounts and one account backing the other one on a certain discussion. Is there now a 3rd? There are many things to avoid in life and these are all part of it - crediblity!!!!

For Coach Lin, if you are reading this. I have already send you my blessing before. It is now your take to make it work. Credibility and reputation takes time to build. Its difficult to build up, and easily to destroy.

Not every one can be a coach, and not every one can be a good coach. I'm sure you are smart and if you reflect back and remorse, i'm sure you will find better ways to do things in the futre.

Good luck once again!
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 5:57am
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Am I the only one who at least is slightly considering the possibility that nathanso is just in on the joke? 
Thumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs Down

This is just plain rude. nathanso is well-known here and on other forums and is highly respected for his input. His reviews are always honest and thorough, and his integrity should not be called into question by someone wanting to make a point. nathanso's work with Charlie of Blades by Charlie is widely known and his reputation is based upon his integrity.

idk, I believe that you owe nathanso a full, public apology, at least. Preferably the apology should be followed by your withdrawal from this thread.
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 6:10am
He was only only postulating the possibility.  But I think you understand, there is something fishy going on here.  Though I trust the authenticity of nathanso's review, JaredTTSmith is clearly another account made by Lin.  You can see the drastic change from the relatively well worded review he first prepared to his reply to idk, the grammar of which is much more characteristic of Lin.  
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic