FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

sidespin chopblock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sidespin chopblock
    Posted: 01/13/2020 at 1:09am
Recently started learning this stroke and it's a whole load of fun! So basically if your opponent does a slow loop you can just do a push stroke where you contact on the side of the ball and brushing forward heavily (Koki Niwa style). This will produce a heavy sidechop ball with unpredictable spin which destroys your opponent's rhythm. 

Typically it goes like this -> long serve/push, opponent slow loops, sidespin chopblock, opponent pushes the ball back -> loop the ball

Anyone over here uses it in their games and how do you incorporate it?

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 1:45am
Hi blahness,

This is pretty common among penhold players. LGL does this alot, Ma Lin too, Shan Xiaona pretty much do it all the time.

A good change of pace, but be careful about overusing it. Returns tend to be a little higher than usual and pure sidespin can be attacked easily.

Try to mix it with some side-top/side-backspin for variation.
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 4:57am
Pretty advanced stroke to implement into matches and getting quality on the ball is hard.  Great to wrong foot your opponent with the change of pace mind but not a regular go to stroke IMHO. 

There was a really good video done by Tom Lodizak and Craig Bryant on this stroke. 

I'll dig the link out.

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJ49BXh5Mk

Edited by ghostzen - 01/13/2020 at 6:46am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 7:22am
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Pretty advanced stroke to implement into matches and getting quality on the ball is hard.  Great to wrong foot your opponent with the change of pace mind but not a regular go to stroke IMHO. 

There was a really good video done by Tom Lodizak and Craig Bryant on this stroke. 

I'll dig the link out.

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJ49BXh5Mk

Thanks. I think I tried his method before and it didn't work very well for me.  I still like  Niwa's version because Niwa actually brushes the ball forward which allows him to catch the ball much more nicely....  Craig's version is more like  the Ma Long version where the racket is more perpendicular and the bat is pointing upwards. I think the Niwa style will produce more underspin, but less deceptive spin variation. Ma Longs version is almost impossible to read, it could as easily be sidechop,or side top or pure side.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2020 at 7:41am
No probs 👍 definitely agree it's a very personal thing depending on the level you play and more importantly the way the shot can be produced with quality. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic