tabletennis11.com

Spammers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2013 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I know that when OOAK forum implimented a custom Q&A with questions related to table tennis, the spam rate dropped by over 90% !

As did the amount of new Aussie members

Oi, watch it! AngryAngryAngry LOLLOLLOL

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 7:20pm
I downloaded the free demo version of captcha (ver 4.0.2) and there is a "CAPTCHA_configuration.asp" file to edit to make the picture harder to OCR for a bot (pollution level of the image).
On my machine, after turning the local website and asp both on, I edited a few values; see after the code what it did.

--------------------beginning of code---------------------------------------------

'Random Character Line Placement
'This places the characters at different line levels on the canvas, this is good at preventing OCR software reading the image but still allows the image to be readable for humans
blnRandomLinePlacement = True 'that was on already

'Random Character Skewing
'Random Skewing is good at preventing OCR software recognising characters
blnSkewing = True 'that was on already

'Making one of the noise levels and line noise the same as the background colour and the other the same as the character colour
'is good at preventing OCR software recognised characters by using colour filters to remove noise

'Pixelation Noise #1
'This is the pixelation noise level, random pixels which prevent OCR software recognising characters
intNoiseLevel1 = 25 'I went berserk on that one; it was 8
strNoiseColour1 = "FFFFFF"

'Pixelation Noise #2
intNoiseLevel2 = 25 'I went berserk on that one; it was 3
strNoiseColour2 = "003366"

'Noise Lines #1
'Random lines overlaying image, prevents OCR software recognising characters, but can quickly make the image difficult for a human to read
intNoiseLines1 = 25 'I went berserk on that one; it was 4
strNoiseLinesColour1 = "003366"

'Noise Lines #2
intNoiseLines2 = 25 'I went berserk on that one; it was 3
strNoiseLinesColour2 = "FFFFFF"

--------------------beginning of code---------------------------------------------

Note that I did not touch the parameter controlling the canvas background color. It will make it even harder.

Compare with the actual difficulty:

I think we are on a hosted server and I am not sure how hard it is to do it ourselves --> I mean do we HAVE TO ask somebody to do it (hefty charges???) or CAN we access those files and do it ourselves. I'll ask alexli.

davidwhang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidwhang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 12:48pm
I hope you guys would also consider this..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Error: Message Not Posted Spamming is not permitted!
You have exceeded the number of posts permitted in the time span.

Please try again later.
------------------------------------------------------------------

You can check my records, but I'm not a spammer. It's a bit of a bummer to have to re-write your reply when this catches you by surprise..happened to me just now (well a while ago since i had to wait for this to go away before i could post another reply).. was in the mood to reply to many threads with legitimate responses but this turned up.. 
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 12:53pm
the captcha is back on and it is WAY more difficult now. However I hid 2 spam posts this morning; that tells me the bots are being jump started by human.
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

the captcha is back on and it is WAY more difficult now. However I hid 2 spam posts this morning; that tells me the bots are being jump started by human.

Captcha is too easy to get around and won't stop the "normal" spammers anyway. Unless you have blocked their IP''s before.

Quote I think we are on a hosted server and I am not sure how hard it is to do it ourselves --> I mean do we HAVE TO ask somebody to do it (hefty charges???) or CAN we access those files and do it ourselves. I'll ask alexli.

You do it yourself through the admin control panel where all of the forums files are.

What type of spam management software are ya'll using?

Edited by j-bo - 02/08/2013 at 1:49pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 1:48pm
it's been done; thanks.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 1:51pm
By the way thank you alexli for fixing it. the newbies (tt related) are welcome again and it feels much better.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 2:43pm
i say track the IP of a few of them and lets go Greece on them
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 3:22pm
They change IP all the time; we have a function to ban IP/IP ranges and we use it but it does not help at all; they always come back with another one.
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 3:36pm
Over the years, I have administrated several forums and the only radical solution against spambots was the randomized custom Q&A. Not a single spambot went through.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 4:11pm
You think the Q&A feature should be added or replace the captcha process?
mmerkel View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 4:16pm
I think it needs to be an additional step before (or after) the captcha screen...
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Over the years, I have administrated several forums and the only radical solution against spambots was the randomized custom Q&A. Not a single spambot went through.

Not only that.. but captcha doesn't do a thing for the normal human spammer (makes it more difficult, but if they want to spam, they'll do it), and I had a ton of those. Q&A got rid of 99% of them, software catches most that get through the Q&A and of those, most get placed in "moderated thread/post" category where we can catch it before it gets to the public. Only a handful or less per month make it to the public now.

I get zero spambots getting through now also.
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

I think it needs to be an additional step before (or after) the captcha screen...

Usually after... And captcha doesn't have to be very difficult too. As well as the questions. Wink
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 5:21pm
We all agree with j-bo: captcha will not stop the human spammers so we'll get some sometimes; like before. Most of human spammers we the mods can handle though. 
We were recently hit by a wave of bots and those have been quiet since captcha has been made harder to read. We'll see tonight.
The Q&A step would be so great. It would literally seal the deal as spammers passing it would actually be tt knowledgeable. The result would be the same: we'd ban them but we'd at least ban a tt related person!!! better than banning a freakin' bot.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2013 at 5:27pm
come ooon.. find the address of just one..

will make a great yahoo news story. Bet most of comments will be approving too. Who doesn't want to crack some spammer bones?

Edited by assiduous - 02/08/2013 at 5:28pm
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2013 at 6:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic