Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

State of the Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: State of the Forum
    Posted: 03/25/2018 at 1:16pm
I've wanted to say this since 2016 but have chosen to wait it out, hoping that things would change for the better but unfortunately, it got worse. I think it's time to review the positioning of this forum. Where is this aging platform going?

Honestly, over the past 8 years that I've seen, the number of quality posts keeps going down as the year goes by. From time to time, we'd have a new member brave it out and post a newbie question, and the typical response would be "This has been answered 10000 times. Use the search function." Is that what this forum is for?

Ever since Imago or whoever performed some forum software upgrade several years back, the site search function has been wonky at best. It doesn't return any hits over 100. It times out more often than not and blames you for being too vague. Try searching for "Tenergy" under "All Forums" and "Any Date". Once you narrow the search, by the time you reach the end of the 1st page of results, you get a "search has expired" message the moment you click on the link to the 2nd page.

Even worse, Google search has been broken for 4 months and nothing is being done. Not even an update if someone is looking into it, which begs the question - is there even anyone running the site at all? Many of the stickied threads have not been touched for years and contain nothing but outdated information. Nothing is being done.

The forum server was hit by a malware in 2015 and it took over 1 year to completely fix it, only with my involvement after I got sick of the repeated threads asking why their antivirus kept redflagging the site. I'm ceratin the forum had lost a lot of members during that year.

With all the social media platforms and bloggers pulling away the crowd, at this rate, this forum could go the way of tabletennis.gr or about.com.

Edited by zeio - 03/25/2018 at 1:20pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 2:04pm
Totaly agree with everything
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 3:07pm
You shoulda seen the forum in the mid to late 2000s... day and night difference for the better.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 6:24pm
Speaking only for myself, I am running out of things that I feel like writing about TT. I suspect a lot of people reach that point.
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 7:57pm
I would have to agree with Baal however due to my limited cognitive capacity I reached my limit of contribution awhile ago. Confused

YE JTTAA
Yinhe Big dipper FH/BH
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 8:09pm
This forum says it has 30,000 members. Seems more like 50.

DS
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 8:20pm
Would be interesting to see what MAU (Monthly Active Users) metric for this forum looks like. 

As far as forum health/character/trend - there is still enough traffic that it's worth visiting, but discussion  lately seems to be more of flame war variety. Hopefully it passes - it is more or less a best North America-centric TT forum - tabletennisdaily.com is a Euro/UK-focused one, but plenty of regulars here can be found there as well. And then there is OOAK, where dark-siders gather... 
USATT: ~1870
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 8:25pm
Which is why I've started generating contents here. However, take the Nittaku manufacturing plant video for example. The thread itself has over 450 views, yet the number of reply comes to a grand total of 5, 7 if counting mine.

Seriously?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Would be interesting to see what MAU (Monthly Active Users) metric for this forum looks like. 

As far as forum health/character/trend - there is still enough traffic that it's worth visiting, but discussion  lately seems to be more of flame war variety. Hopefully it passes - it is more or less a best North America-centric TT forum - tabletennisdaily.com is a Euro/UK-focused one, but plenty of regulars here can be found there as well. And then there is OOAK, where dark-siders gather... 

You see. That's only way to generate a response and traffic here. I got more replies from people irritated enough to actually make a one liner with my trolling than with an informative video. Sadly, they didn't care to leave their impressions on the German Open, while they blamed others for filling up the thread with nonsense. Seriously?

Given jackwong23's response, he is at his limit and can't take it anymore.

Edited by zeio - 03/25/2018 at 8:44pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

You see. That's only way to generate a response and traffic here. I got more replies from people irritated enough to actually make a one liner with my trolling than with an informative video. Seriously?

Given jackwong23's response, he is at his limit and can't take it anymore.

Informative video about subject some (most?) people don't care about that much (I am in that category, for better or worse - yes, it is interesting, but right now I worry more about my own game warts/flaws and German Open videos...) vs. a flame war  - why are you surprised? It is what it is...

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 8:52pm
Then stop blaming people for trolling others, if people don't even care enough to say anything constructive.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 8:57pm

Then stop blaming people for trolling others, if people don't even care enough to say anything constructive.

When/where did I blame you? Hey, you can always stop posting here (would be a shame/loss for the forum, IMHO) - it's your choice. I'll still enjoy your posts at TTD.

Sometimes you can't change things and some forums are not for you.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:03pm
See? You've been trolled. I got a strong response from you there. It proves that being a troll is more effective in getting a response than being constructive.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:08pm

See? You've been trolled. I got a strong response from you there. It proves that being a troll is more effective in getting a response than being constructive.

You needed proof for THAT? I thought it's Internet 101...

Anyway, I don't have much to add beyond this.

Edited by pgpg - 03/25/2018 at 9:13pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Speaking only for myself, I am running out of things that I feel like writing about TT. I suspect a lot of people reach that point.

Never fear, mjamja still has lots to post about even if no one wants to read it.

Coming very soon, "The Shadow Returns". Look for it in a forum near you.

Mark - Self promoter extraordinaire
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:23pm
There are always things to talk about.
Equipment
Technique
US centric tournaments
ITTF play
Training
General banter
Mjamja posts
Siberian girl videos (actually I LOVE seeing videos of all types of play from all over the world)
The best treads are not always the longest. We all like different things
A little compassion/seeing things from anothers viewpoint is useful.

I still think this is a good forum. Other forums are nice. I appreciate it. Plus the price is fantastic.
Gambler Hinoki Vector blade; Double inverted. Or some LPs.
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:23pm
what plays most like a tenergy but isnt tenergy?function d_log(s) { var ev = document.createEvent('events'); ev.initEvent('heartbeat_log', true, false); document.body.setAttribute('heartbeat_attrib', s); document.dispatchEvent(ev); };
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:40pm
Before I joined, I actually stayed on read-only mode for more than a year. Things were way different back then. People would make funny posts all the time. You see people ask noob questions from time to time, but other people would still take the time to reply.

Youtube had been around for only a few years. Table tennis videos were still not commonplace there due to the duration limit on uploads and cutting videos were not as easy as nowadays. Matches were still distributed the old and hard way - online hosting sites such as the now-defunct megaupload. Yet, the atmosphere was much better. People would comment back on how they feel about the matches. But as time went on, when the ITTF streaming service matured and youtubers began to catch on, people started sharing less and less their comments on the forum. It feels to me people were more interested in getting what they want than giving what they could.

The atmosphere over at ooak is, how to put it, pretty stale, compared to several years ago. TTD is expanding the past few years with Dan taking more of an active role. I don't want to see Mytt become another tabletennis.gr.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:43pm

You needed proof for THAT? I thought it's Internet 101...

Anyway, I don't have much to add beyond this.

Oh yea. That proof is necessary to justify my trolling jackwong23, since people didn't catch on something that simple.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 9:47pm
It used to be a great forum but banning people for not breaking any rule while leaving alone those who do the same less intelligently does not help maintaining a high level of posting. I quit a while ago as a mod and administrator over the unjustified, arbitrary and abusive banning of agentex and pnachtwey; but I got over it LOL

OK we know that's not the main reason for the decline of this forum: OOAK and TTD sucked traffic out, that's it; I did not see any foul play, just a natural evolution, things come and go.

This forum is still a wild place though, it does not serve private interests, it is not a business. I feel safe roaming the sections, people in charge make sure people feel safe, that's a good thing. The FS section is one of the best in the world, thanks to Baal and all buyers and sellers active members Embarrassed, that's huge!

If you want ideas on how to revive the forum, start in parallel a poll to ask support on diverse project you would support. Sure enough you could get moderator status (no bullying jackwong with the tools, ok? Big smile) to support your threads and I would support you for whatever it's worth.

No matter what you do in the future, thank you for the great content you brought here over the years and all the good laughs too, I really appreciate it.

BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 10:01pm
Srsly, the mytt for sale section wipes the floor with ttd and ooak sellers. We are americans, that is our comparative advantage. We rule the world at buying stuff we don't need, hardly using it if at all, and then dumping it online for a loss. What more do you want from us?
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 10:07pm
I guess it depends upon what you're looking for.  I like the videos, like Siberian Girls or MYTT members' videos, but you don't see many of either of those any more.  There's still a lot of discussion about equipment, but mostly it just goes in circles, so I don't follow that much any more.  There are quite a few people who either have favorite professional players or pros that they hate.  Those people I try to avoid, because they keep repeating the same arguments over and over again, louder and louder.  I do like it when people discuss professional technique, even though a lot of the time we really don't know for sure.

I still come here often, but I find less to look at.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 10:29pm
Things have always waxed and waned here. We just need a new big TT controversy to stimulate things. Ball controversies are now a tired topic. Im sure ITTF will oblige us with some new outrage before long.

In the meantime maybe it's time for another T05 alternative thread.
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 11:12pm
I would encourage:

1) coaching sessions and live Q&A by the official coach voted by the members for a given period of time, so it's always new even though the same routines are shown, just like at the club. 

2) more youtube live events promoting competitions of all levels, including small regional ones with a travelling case containing video material to travel from tournament director to tournament director and upload live content. 

3) quiz games with prizes offered by sponsoring members who ship to the winners. "Who did Istvan Boros lose in the 1932 world championships?" (get a little bit of help there). The 1st answering right gets 5 celluloid training balls free of charge; the winner just pays for shipping.

Edited by fatt - 03/25/2018 at 11:21pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

It used to be a great forum but banning people for not breaking any rule while leaving alone those who do the same less intelligently does not help maintaining a high level of posting. I quit a while ago as a mod and administrator over the unjustified, arbitrary and abusive banning of agentex and pnachtwey; but I got over it LOL

OK we know that's not the main reason for the decline of this forum: OOAK and TTD sucked traffic out, that's it; I did not see any foul play, just a natural evolution, things come and go.

This forum is still a wild place though, it does not serve private interests, it is not a business. I feel safe roaming the sections, people in charge make sure people feel safe, that's a good thing. The FS section is one of the best in the world, thanks to Baal and all buyers and sellers active members Embarrassed, that's huge!

If you want ideas on how to revive the forum, start in parallel a poll to ask support on diverse project you would support. Sure enough you could get moderator status (no bullying jackwong with the tools, ok? Big smile) to support your threads and I would support you for whatever it's worth.

No matter what you do in the future, thank you for the great content you brought here over the years and all the good laughs too, I really appreciate it.

The banning of pnachtwey, agentHEX and berndt_mann were unfortunate, since they actually generated buzz, however controversial and annoying many of them might have been. And at least in the case of pnachtwey and agentHEX, arguing with them actually got me something in return. I would never have looked up all these studies and interesting stuff that I never knew exist.

TTD is one thing, but the way the Mytt has been run over the past few years has a lot to do with the traffic. The WebWiz software is a huge headache. It can't cope with the new HTML5 features. Images on Facebook and Twitter often come in links with query string at the end, behind the extension. The img tag can't handle anything like that. There is bug in the url tag as well when used within the quote tag. It's random and certain strings would get mangled by the software no matter what you do. Not to mention the dreadful timeout! I've been forced into the habit of hitting ctrl-c every time before I hit the "Post Reply" button if I don't want to have my post sucked into the black hole. The entire experience when using the forum is just crappy given what we have available elsewhere.

The thing I like about Mytt is that posts from the FS section do not show up on the homepage. I've suggested this to the admin on HKTTF but apparently it was not well-received.

As for moderator status, no. I don't think that will help, given the limitations of the WebWiz software. The issue at hand is more than just moderating. The thing is Mytt no longer has the appeal and the cohesion it once possessed. The sense of community is thinner than ever. As Bobrow put it, people stopped caring. There is hardly anything to moderate now.

Edited by zeio - 03/25/2018 at 11:32pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 11:39pm
People will always come and go
Things are always changing Fatt nearly top poster, 18500 members have never said a word
when a thread pops up after 3 years we hardly remember who those people were
I feel sometimes when a person is added to the Mods/Admin they tend to frequent the place less and then go
Zeio is a clever bloke so if he can help with some better search methods and/ or give suggestions to the mods about updating systems, but the content is just about who is around at the time
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 11:46pm
I think there are a couple of problems:

1) Mushrooming of alternative sites and bloggers diluting the content on this forum. Pongfinity, TTD, ERT, Matt H, USATT newsletters, equipmentjunkie, OOAK, TT11 blog posts (which is where I contribute my reviews) and many others that I have forgotten. I am guessing that some people are trying to make some $ on their content (which I can appreciate).  

2) Many more youtube channels showing videos

3) uninteresting flamewars - I am rolling my eyes when they start.

4) an aging demographic - which has heard many of the equipment discussions, flamewarms, positions, and attitudes MANY times over - and little influx of young/new players, who don't need or seek the sense of community.

All this being said - I still check MyTT several times every day and enjoy reading other people's opinion. I am just forced to be much more selective what I comment on (and contribute to). 

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 03/25/2018 at 11:48pm
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 11:47pm
A few points:
  1. The infrastructure here sucks, as the OP rightly pointed out (including the Google search section). Ideally, we should all migrate to a newly created forum on a better platform. Ideally, someone would have to take the initiative (unfortunately, I have little knowledge of these things :()
  2. This is a US-centric forum. Most of the active tournament players are middle / high school kids. They are casually active - just not here. There are LOTS of very active instagram / FB feeds (at least of the young players in my state) with lots of fellow TT players chiming in.
  3. Earlier (the agenthex era), we had trolling / debate but not arguments that suggest that one or both arguers are around 12 years old. Not so, nowadays. This is, frankly, one of the reasons why I am put off by this forum (not necessarily a bad thing). And yes, the OP has something to do with it, even if he may have a PhD / has the best forum contributions otherwise.
  4. Even a blatantly obvious EJ like me can only answer so many equipment queries (again, this is probably good for the forum)
  5. More important, there is another trend (not necessarily a bad one, but one that results in lower traffic): the number of members genuinely interested in trying out equipment has decreased. I can see by current vs prior interest in the TT11 testing schemes that I have tried running.
  6. Even the genuine interest in the 'For Sale' page has drastically dried up as compared to what it was upto a year or two ago (this, I am qualified to state).
  7. Given that I can't read the Chinese forums, my model for decent discussion is the main German forum (where there is a fair amount of league talk). Here, in the US, we don't have those kinds of national level leagues (or top players) that spark such threads.
  8. If anything, relative to the level of real interest of TT in the US (vs in other countries), this forum is pretty active!
  9. Lastly, there is no active forum owner (like Dan is on TTD) that can promote the forum (like Dan's VLogs of major tournaments that have interaction with major players)

Edited by slevin - 03/25/2018 at 11:53pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2018 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

People will always come and go
Things are always changing Fatt nearly top poster, 18500 members have never said a word
when a thread pops up after 3 years we hardly remember who those people were
I feel sometimes when a person is added to the Mods/Admin they tend to frequent the place less and then go
Zeio is a clever bloke so if he can help with some better search methods and/ or give suggestions to the mods about updating systems, but the content is just about who is around at the time

I think it's too late now to think about updating the system. The harm has been done when it was decided to stick with WebWiz with the last update. I remember Baal pointed out tabletennis.gr downfall happened after the forum upgrade. And I'm not sure if the current database could be transferred over. The chance is you have to keep the old server up as an archive and start anew with something else, much like the ITTF before their run-in with TMS.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2018 at 12:57am
Another thing is that picture of Alex with Sharara on the front page. I remember a member posted saying he hated it every time he visits Mytt and suggested it be removed. That really doesn't help with traffic.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64900&PID=777797&title=someone-contact-alex-li-regarding#777797

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68176&PID=824728&title=whats-worse-than-a-picture-of-sharara#824728

Edited by zeio - 03/26/2018 at 12:58am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic