FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Carbonado 145 Review: Beware!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I'm not all that familiar with blade making but if you join two plies, shouldn't one get slightly different bounces on the two parts of the blade?

That's also what I belive.

Even being the same type of wood and same thickness two joint plies can get diferente bounces.

Is it noticeable for most of mortals? Probably not.

Is it desirable when you pay for a high price blade? Of course not.

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Sponsored Links

capitanharlock View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote capitanharlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2015 at 11:46am
In the end I returned the blade to the seller.
Cry
Stiga replied to my email where I was complaining for the bad quality, telling me to contact the seller.

Fantastic quality control, superb customer care.

Bye bye Stiga,
"building world champions since 1944" but not building good blades anymore.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2015 at 11:49am
Lnfao that last line though.
Not building good blades anymore. -captainharlock

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2015 at 11:24pm
Stiga blades = Crop of the crap.
I never understood how so many top players use them. All stiga blades I owned were never consistent. Thumbs Down
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 10:30am
I know I said that after reading all the quality control issues in this thread and rest of the internet I will not order a stiga blade. But 5 years later I could not resist the EJ bug and finally ordered my first stiga blade carbonado 145.

Coming from HL5 and HL5X, I liked the feeling of this blade from the get go and I would have continued using the blade until I decided to try a different pair of rubbers.

Chunks of wood started peeling off from the blade along-with the rubbers even though I removed the rubbers very gently. I only used 2 layers of Butterfly Free Chack Pro to glue the rubbers. Here is a video of my blade clearly showing where the top plies of the wood are peeled off and showing the next plies. https://workupload.com/file/Kx3nXpggKRN

Although the issue is more obvious on the backhand side than the forehand side of the blade, I cannot use this blade due to this issue.

I have over 10 years of experience with glueing/reglueing and have never seen such a problem before even with other soft limba based blades such as HL5 and butterfly blades. This was my first time purchasing a Stiga blade and I was shocked to see this problem with a $200 premium blade and that too just after such a short period of use. I expected a premium quality blade for such a high price. Not sure why Stiga has such low quality controls which will hurt their brand & sales in the long term.

I got this blade from TT11, I have contacted them regarding this issue and awaiting a reply.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 11:05am
I find free chack pro to be one of the strongest bond water based glues out there. It’s a recipe for disaster for a Stiga blade.  I do need to ask why you didn’t seal the blade? We all know if you don’t seal a Stiga this will happen. 
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 11:35am
BTY glue is a disaster for many blades.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

I find free chack pro to be one of the strongest bond water based glues out there. It’s a recipe for disaster for a Stiga blade.  I do need to ask why you didn’t seal the blade? We all know if you don’t seal a Stiga this will happen. 

I agree that butterfly glue has a strong bond but after using it for a while I know the exact amount to use in order to remove the rubbers from the blade without much effort. I've used it countless times on HL5 and HL5X which also have soft limba top and have not faced such severe splintering issues. The strongest glue I've used so far was the Donic Glue Formula First and even that never caused such splintering issues even though it was hard to remove the rubbers from the blade.

I do not seal my blade because I find it to change the playing characteristics of my blade and have never faced such splinters on any of my blades, even the ones which are 2+ years old.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

BTY glue is a disaster for many blades.

Never had any issues with this glue on any of my butterfly, dhs, yasaka or donic blades. It's my favourite glue as it has the best feeling and consistency in my opinion.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

I agree that butterfly glue has a strong bond but after using it for a while I know the exact amount to use in order to remove the rubbers from the blade without much effort. I've used it countless times on HL5 and HL5X which also have soft limba top and have not faced such severe splintering issues. The strongest glue I've used so far was the Donic Glue Formula First and even that never caused such splintering issues even though it was hard to remove the rubbers from the blade.

I do not seal my blade because I find it to change the playing characteristics of my blade and have never faced such splinters on any of my blades, even the ones which are 2+ years old.

You must be very skillful at using the BTY glue. HL5 is very much on the edge of splinting for any glue if you do not seal it. 
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 8:43pm
In my experience, I found Stiga blades and Chinese blades need to be sealed everytime rubbers are changed.  These blades tend to splinter more easily 

It's like insurance, better to seal the blades; better to be safe than sorry.

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 9:04pm
If you notice a difference in play from sealing  your blade you have used too much sealant. 
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2021 at 4:40am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

I know I said that after reading all the quality control issues in this thread and rest of the internet I will not order a stiga blade. But 5 years later I could not resist the EJ bug and finally ordered my first stiga blade carbonado 145.

Coming from HL5 and HL5X, I liked the feeling of this blade from the get go and I would have continued using the blade until I decided to try a different pair of rubbers.

Chunks of wood started peeling off from the blade along-with the rubbers even though I removed the rubbers very gently. I only used 2 layers of Butterfly Free Chack Pro to glue the rubbers. Here is a video of my blade clearly showing where the top plies of the wood are peeled off and showing the next plies. https://workupload.com/file/Kx3nXpggKRN

Although the issue is more obvious on the backhand side than the forehand side of the blade, I cannot use this blade due to this issue.

I have over 10 years of experience with glueing/reglueing and have never seen such a problem before even with other soft limba based blades such as HL5 and butterfly blades. This was my first time purchasing a Stiga blade and I was shocked to see this problem with a $200 premium blade and that too just after such a short period of use. I expected a premium quality blade for such a high price. Not sure why Stiga has such low quality controls which will hurt their brand & sales in the long term.

I got this blade from TT11, I have contacted them regarding this issue and awaiting a reply.

TT11 was kind enough to check the evidence and provide a refund. Now that's how you keep your long term customers happy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic